Dr. B. F. Pendery, eclectic physician, Sacramento, was born in Hamilton County, Ohio, August 11, 1846. His father, William D. Pendery, was also a native of that State, and a farmer by occupation. His mother, who was a Ludlow, was the first white female child born in the city of Cincinnati. The doctor is the seventh son in a family of ten children, nine sons and one daughter. It is a remarkable fact that no less than five of these sons became physicians, inheriting their talent from their father, who, although a farmer, was known for miles around as an expert in medical treatment. The early years of the subject of this sketch were spent on the farm. At the age of seventeen years he began the study of medicine at the Cincinnati Eclectic College, under the tutelage of Dr. R. S. Newton, and was in every way fitted for rapid advancement. Three years later, in 1868, he began the practice of his chosen profession at Dayton, Ohio, and continued there two years. In 1872 he removed to Farmer City, De Witt County, Illinois, and remained there until 1875. In December of that year he came to California, locating in Sacramento, his office being on the corner of Fifth and J streets; he is now on K street near Fourth. September, 11, 1876, he was elected a member of the Eclectic Medical Society of California. The Doctor is of a most genial disposition, esteeming his friends highly and being also a great admirer of a good horse. His judgment in respect to houses is sought by many, and every one knows his dapple gray. The Doctor has been married twice, first in Indianapolis, March 20, 1869, to Miss Lucy A. Brown, a native of Jackson County, Illinois, who died in 1881; secondly, to Miss Edith S. Dickson, a native of the Golden West and daughter of John F. Dickson, a pioneer of Salem, Massachusetts.
An Illustrated History of Sacramento County, California. By Hon. Win. J. Davis. Lewis Publishing Company 1890. Page 406.
© 2004 Marla Fitzsimmons.
Sacramento County Biographies