Clinton Cushing, M. D., whose office is at No. 363 Sutter street, San Francisco, has been a resident of California since 1867, and engaged in the practice of medicine since 1865. He was born in Aurora, Illinois, in 1840, and is of English descent. His ancestors, who came over on the ship Diligent in 1638, settled at Hingham, Massachusetts, whence have spread the large and influential family of judges, lawyers and professional men.
The subject of this sketch received his early education in the public schools of his native State. He commenced the study of medicine in 1860, under the preceptorship of Dr. Johnson, Surgeon of the United States Navy, with whom he studied one year. He entered the medical department of the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor, where he remained one year, and later entered the Rush Medical College of Chicago, graduating in 1865. After practicing two years in Illinois, Dr. Cushing removed to the Pacific coast, where he has since practiced continuously in San Francisco. He has held the chair of Obstetrics in the Pacific Medical College from 1870 to 1874, and also the chair of Gynecology in the Cooper Medical College since 1880. He is consulting surgeon to the French Hospital, and also to the Women’s Hospital of California.
Transcribed by Donna L. Becker
Source: "The Bay of San Francisco," Vol. 1, page 614, Lewis Publishing Co, 1892.
© 2004 Donna L. Becker.
California Biography Project
San Francisco County
Golden Nugget Library