G. W. Fuller, M.D.
G. W. Fuller, M.D., whose office is at 2306 California street, San Francisco, has been engaged in the practice of medicine since 1886. He is a native Californian, born near Sacramento in 1858, the son of Richard Fuller, who was a pioneer of 1849, crossing the plains in that year by the orthodox method of transportation of that day, the ox team. He came through from Michigan, of which State he was a native, his father having been one of the pioneer settlers of that State. Dr. Fuller's father first engaged in hunting deer and other game, and later in stock-raising in the Sacramento valley. His first $1,500 earned was from deer meat brought into Auburn. He died in 1876. The family are of German descent, and were early settlers in the Mohawk valley of New York State.
G. W. Fuller, our subject, received his early education in the public schools of Sacramento, and later for three years under the private instruction of Professor E. P. Howe, of that city. He then taught school for about eight years, during which time he attended the State Normal School at San Jose at various times. While engaged in teaching, he commenced the study of medicine in 1882, which he continued until 1884, in which year he entered the Cooper Medical College, at which he graduated in 1887, receiving his degree as Doctor of Medicine. Immediately after graduation he was elected assistant to the chair of Gynecology, which place he has held for nearly two years, after which he was appointed assistant to the Medical Clinic of the Cooper College, and is still holding that position. Dr. Fuller is a member of the County Medical society of San Francisco, and is engaged in a general family practice.
Transcribed 12-12-04 Marilyn R. Pankey
Source: "The Bay of San Francisco," Vol. 1, page 640-641, Lewis Publishing Co, 1892.
© 2004 Marilyn R. Pankey.
California Biography Project
San Francisco County
Golden Nugget Library