THE STORY OF AN INSPIRING PAST
Historical Sketch of the San Jose State Teachers College
From 1862 to 1928
Alphabetical List of Matriculates and Record of Graduates by Classes
Mrs. ESTELLE GREATHEAD
San Jose, California
San Jose State Teachers College
Allen H. ABBOTT, A. M., Professor of History and Political Science and Dean of the College of Liberal Arts at the College of the Pacific, gave a course in Social Science at the summer session in 1922. Deceased.
Alice ADAMS was first grade supervisor from September, 1927, to June, 1928. She is a graduate of the De Kalb State Normal School and has a Ph. B. degree from the University of Chicago.
Mary P. ADAMS. Native of Wisconsin. Educated in public schools and San Jose Normal School, from which she graduated May, 1879. Taught one year in public schools, as assistant in Training Department, August, 1882, to March, 1884; as teacher of music and critic teacher in Intermediate Class of Training Department, from August, 1887 to 1894.
After spending some years with her sister in Australia, Miss Adams married Mr. Martin ABERNETHY and resides in Claremont, California, where a beautiful home, a large circle of friends, and a wide interest in the welfare of young women and their problems make a rich and useful life.
Roxana M. ADAMS entered the Teachers College in 1921 as principal of the intermediate grades. She has her A. B. degree from Denver University and has done graduate work at Columbia. Miss Adams has written rather extensively on educational subjects, some of her articles appearing in Journal of Geography, Journal of Educational Method, Los Angeles School Journal, and Sunset. She is also co-author of a recent publication, “Teaching in Intermediate Grades.”
Her teaching in the college, in addition to sixth grade supervision of teacher training has been along educational lines, including curriculum, project, and human geography.
She was married in December, 1927 to Bert Lee HALE.
James Edwin ADDICOTT was in charge of the manual training department from 1891 to 1902. In addition to this he taught Geometry, Algebra, Astronomy, History and Reading Methods.
He is a graduate of this school, and has a diploma from the Manual Training School of Washington University at St. Louis.
He has a Bachelor's diploma in Education from Columbia Teachers' College, and a B. S. degree from Columbia. He also has a Masters' diploma in education, (Manual Training) and his M. A. degree from Columbia.
Mr. Addicott was for four years supervising principal of the Manual Training School in New Orleans where he organized the course of study, installed equipment, and selected all the teachers. He has lectured extensively on educational and industrial topics, has conducted a summer institute of mechanic arts at Mt. Hermon, was principal of the Prescott School, Oakland, and an active member of the Vocational Council in Oakland. He has published quite extensively along educational and technical lines.
At present, (1927) he is principal of the Polytechnic High School in San Francisco.
Glenn ALLEN was a part time instructor in Physics during the year 1919.
Jessica G. ALLEN. Daughter of Charles H. Allen. Native of New York. Educated in public schools and State Normal Schools, Platteville, Wisconsin, and San Jose, Calif. Graduated in 1877. Taught in public schools of California one year; in Junior Class of Normal School, spring term, 1880. Taught in Hester School, San Jose. Married July 20, 1880 to William J. PASCOE.
After the death of her husband, Mrs. Pascoe spent some years in the Hawaiian Islands as teacher in the Chinese, Japanese Mission school at Honolulu. Later, returning to California she resided in San Francisco until her death in 1923. A brave, unconquered spirit.
Richard Hodges ALLEN has taken courses in the University of California, the Samuel Hume Dramatic School, and has studied architecture extensively in Boston. His training has consisted largely of contacts with artists rather than with institutions and for this reason perhaps, he has not become hide-bound. His subjects are Interior Decorating, Color and Design, Stage Craft and Home and School Art.
At San Jose State Teachers College since 1925.
Mrs. Warren ALLEN took charge of the Music in 1915 during the absence of Miss FISHER who was taking a year of study in Pittsburg. She had had very thorough voice training in this country and in Europe. She has continued her musical work since leaving and has appeared in opera and oratorio roles at various times. Residence 31 Alvarado Campus, Palo Alto, California.
John C. ALMACK, Ph. D., formerly assistant Director of Extension Division of the University of Oregon, gave a course in education during the summer session of 1922. He is at present Professor of Education at Stanford University.
Jessie B. ANDERSON, A. B., Director of Physical Education in Long Beach schools, was on the instructional staff during the summer session of 1922.
Ethel J. ARMSTRONG became Critic Teacher in the Training Department in 1893 for a few months. She was a graduate of the school.
She is now Mrs. Ethel Armstrong DRAKE, 3800 Pasadena Ave., Los Angeles.
Mary L. H. ARNOLD entered the school in 1897 and remained until the close of the 1899 school year, teaching mathematics.
After leaving this institution Miss Arnold took a year at the University of California and later graduated from the Cooper Medical College.
She has written more than a score of bulletins on medical subjects, and is also the author of an elaborate medical work entitled “Mechanical Vibration, its Physiological Application in Therapeutics.” She was married to Dr. SNOW and is at this writing (1927) practicing in New York City. Her address is 1650 Broadway.
Sarah ARNOLD now Mrs. Martin FLAVIN, was director of the art department from 1915 to 1918.
A graduate of Mt. Holyoke College she also has post graduate work to her credit and a year at the Chicago School of Applied Arts.
Since her marriage, she has traveled and spent some time in Paris but later returned to her home at Carmel Highlands, where she resides with her husband and two children.
Inis ASHBY has taken work at the San Francisco Teachers College of San Francisco, Butler University and the University of California. She is a graduate of the San Jose Teachers College. From 1924 to 1927 she was assistant financial secretary.
Dorothy AUGUSTINE was a graduate of this normal school and later received her degree in education from the college. She was an assistant in the educational department during 1923-1925 and is now teaching in Flagstaff, Arizona, in the training department of the Teachers College. Address 323 Beaver St.
Villa AUGUR was a kindergarten assistant during 1909 and 1910. After her resignation she was married and resided in Albany, N. Y.
Walter L. BACHRODT has been on the staff of special lecturers at the summer session since 1926. He is a graduate of the San Jose State Normal School, and has received his master's degree from Stanford University. He was president of the Teachers College Alumni, and president Bay Section of the California Teachers Association. He is city superintendent of the San Jose City schools and is an outstanding figure in education in the state. Address 590 South 15th Street.
Joyce BACKUS has been in charge of the library since 1923. She is a graduate of the Washington Normal School, has had work in the University of Washington, and has a B. S. degree from the school of Library Science, Simmons College.
Ida May BAKER was on the instructional staff in the summer session of 1925. She is a graduate of this normal school and has done notably strong work in mathematics. She has written a manual for Thorndyke's Arithmetic and is at the present time teaching in the Cleveland School of Education.
Matilda S. BAKER was a teacher of Drawing and Clay Modeling during the year 1896-97.
William Howard BAKER, A. M., served this college in the department of mathematics for twenty-two years, coming in 1900 and leaving in July, 1922. He is a graduate of the State Normal School at Kirksville, Missouri. He is the author of a Monograph entitled “Arithmetic and Methods” published by California Education in 1909, and had forty-nine years of teaching before retiring to his home in Huntington Park, California.
Katherine F. BALL was an assistant in the music department in 1918-19, teaching music methods, orchestration, and supervising the music in the training school. Miss Ball has a music certificate from the music department of the University of Pittsburg and a degree from Pomona College. At present, (1927) she is librarian in the State Teachers College at Santa Barbara.
Caroline Hubbard BAILEY has been a member of the Library staff since 1926. Previous to coming to this institution Miss Bailey had charge of the Los Gatos Public Library. Her education included a course at Mills College, and she has had considerable experience in literary activities, at one time doing editorial work for the Bar Association Library of San Francisco. She also compiled a bulletin for the Riverside Library entitled “The Romantic and Historic Background of Agriculture and Plant Study.”
Earle W. BARKER served as an assistant in the Manual Arts Department from 1911 to 1913. He afterwards entered Stanford University and received his degree in 1915. He was connected with the educational department of the Alaska-Yukon Exposition, and taught for a few years in the Seattle schools. He married Nellie F. DOUGLAS and has three children, two girls and boy. He is now teaching mechanical drawing in the Galileo High School, San Francisco, and live at 240 Carl Street.
Eliza B. BARNES. Native of Rhode Island. Educated in public schools of Rhode Island. Taught in public schools of Rhode Island, nine years, in public schools of San Francisco six years; in Normal School, San Jose, from January 1881 to resignation, May, 1884. Specialty drawing. After a prolonged visit in the Eastern State, returned to California, and resumed teaching.
Raymond Walker BARRY entered the English department in 1924. His A. B. degree was received from the Ohio Wesleyan University in 1915, his A. M. was earned at Stanford in 1916, and to Stanford also, he owes his Ph. D. received in 1925. He is head of the English department in the College.
Alice BASSLER, since 1902 has been a faithful exponent of her art in the Physical Training Department, and a concrete example of physical perfection in its finest sense. Her education includes training in the California School of Methods, in the University of Vienna and in the University of California. It also includes travel and study in Europe.
Mrs. Rovilla BATES was an assistant in the Music Department from 1920 until 1922. At this writing (1927) she is a teacher of music in the Central Grammar School, Salinas.
Mrs. Edith C. BEAL has been part time assistant in the Art Department since 1926.
Flora Eleanor BEAL, who began her work in this institution in 1899, has been connected almost continuously with the English department. She has a B.L. degree from the University of California and an A. B. from Stanford. She has studied in the summer sessions at the Fresno State Teachers College, at the University of California, and has had extensive study and travel in Europe. Miss Beal is an active member of the San Jose branch of the American Association of University Women.
Mrs. C. R. BEALE. Assistant in Normal Department July, 1866, to June 1867. Resigned to take a position in Girls' High School, San Francisco.
Mary I. BEAN was an assistant supervisor in the Training department from 1919 until 1921. She is an alumnus of the University of California and a graduate of the San Jose State Normal School.
Miss Bean is at present teaching in the Theodore Roosevelt Junior High School, San Jose.
Emelyn A. BEATTIE has been an assistant in the children’s library since 1926.
Mrs. A. S. BENNETT was an assistant in the kindergarten department during the latter part of 1903.
Mrs. Myra B. BENNETT was an assistant in the library in 1911-12.
Charles Josephus C. BENNETT was a teacher of psychology from 1898 until 1905, when ill health compelled him to resign. He was a native of West Virginia and took his degree from Nashville University, afterwards teaching in the Buckhannon Conference seminary for two years. After coming to California he entered Stanford University and received an A. M. degree, and later took a degree from Chicago University, and his doctor's degree from Columbia. Dean RUSSELL of the Teachers College, Columbia University, rated Mr. Bennett as one of the brightest men who had ever graduated from that institution.
After his health was sufficiently recovered, he accepted the professorship of philosophy and psychology at the Louisiana State University, and received while there, many flattering offers from universities throughout the west and south but accepted, in 1907, the Presidency of the Fairmont State Normal School of West Virginia.
In 1910 Mr. Bennett took the position of Dean of Education in the University of Oregon at Eugene and was professor of Psychology and Education until illness compelled his resignation.
A year of European travel and study in Leipzig, Germany, gave breadth to his educational outlook, but he was unable to regain his health and returned to his home in California where he lived quietly in the country until his death.
He was a man of brilliant intellect and much personal charm.
Gloria F. BENNETT was a valued member of the faculty for nearly eleven years, entering in 1881 and resigning in 1892. Her professional training was acquired in the state normal schools of New York, at Brockport and at Geneseo. At Geneseo she was a member of the faculty for two years after receiving her diploma of graduation from this institution. Seven years were served in the high school and grammar grades before entering the normal school, where her work was principally English.
After her resignation Miss Bennett was married to Mr. BERNHART and moved to San Francisco. She is now a widow.
Maybyl E. BENSON entered the Registrar's department as assistant in July, 1924.
Jane M. BERNHARDT, M. A., Director of Kindergarten, University Elementary School, Berkeley, was an instructor in education at the summer session of 1923.
Laura BETHELL. Native of Indiana. Educated in public schools of Indiana, at convent, in California State Normal School. Graduated December, 1887. Taught Language and Mathematics in Normal School from January 1888 until 1898. After leaving this normal school, Miss Bethell devoted much time to the study of music and did private teaching and coaching. She resided in Berkeley until her death in March 1928.
Vivian BIGELOW, B. S., University of Wisconsin gave a course in Home Making at the summer session of 1924.
Henry Meade BLAND, widely recognized poet and since 1899 a member of the faculty of San Jose State Teachers College, was born in Fairfield, Solano County, California, April 21, 1863.
Receiving his elementary education in the public schools of California, Mr. Bland later attended the College of the Pacific, taking the A. B. degree in 1887, the A. M. in 1888, and Ph. D. in 1890. He also received the A. M. degree at Stanford University, majoring in English philology, in 1895, with the pioneer class of which Herbert Hoover was also a member. He has done further graduate work at the University of California, keeping abreast of the times educationally.
After serving as teacher and principal for fifteen years in various public schools of California, including those of Los Gatos, Santa Clara, and San Jose, Mr. Bland has, since 1899, been the guiding literary spirit of the Teachers College. In conjunction with his teaching, he has given generously of his time and energy, not only to critical and inspirational aid to individual writers, but also to public service, for twelve years as a member of the Santa Clara County board of education, and more recently, as a member of the committee of seventy for the revision of the California school law.
A list of Dr. Bland's most important and best known literary works will be found elsewhere in this volume. He is preeminently a poet of California, and will be put forward, at the next session of the state legislature as a candidate for the honor of poet-laureate-ship of the state. As his poetry shows, his conservative but adaptive genius has mastered and moulded to modern thought the time-tried forms of verse. The general esteem in which Dr. Bland is held may be summed up by the following personal tribute by Robert COUCHMAN, San Jose Newspaper-man:
“Poet and teacher, soft and sweet thy song,
As low and haunting as an evening bird
Casts on the cool, still air, rippling along
From silence unto silence. I have heard
Such songs, dear friend, from unseen bird and thee;
They echo in my heart unceasingly.”
Elizabeth BLASDEL became Secretary and Assistant Librarian in 1896, and later was made registrar. She was an accomplished musician and had charge of the Training School Music. In 1905 she resigned and became the wife of Bedell MOORE of San Antonio, Texas where she resided except when traveling with her husband and only son. She was vitally interested in Y.W.C.A. work, and made it possible to employ a paid secretary in our college by a contribution which she continued for several years. She died in 1925.
Mary D. BODWELL. Assistant in Normal Department, February, 1864, to May, 1864. Resigned to take a position in Girls' High School, San Francisco.
T. L. BOLTON was teacher of Psychology and Pedagogy during the year 1896 and 1897.
William Pardon BOWEN, professor of Physical Education in the Michigan Normal School, gave a course in physical education at the summer session in 1918.
Harold BOYLE was in the Manual Arts Department from 1913 until 1916.
Blanche BRADLEY was a teacher in the Household Arts Department from 1920 until 1922. She resigned at this time and was married to Charles A. MERRITT.
Carolyn H. BRADLEY has been a member of the faculty since 1900. Her A. B. degree was received at the University of Wisconsin, and she has done graduate work at Columbia and at the University of California.
She has traveled extensively throughout the United States and was a member of the faculty European party in 1909. Previous to entering the Normal school Miss Bradley taught in various places in California. Her work in the Teachers College, while mainly along the line of English subjects, is at the present time, (1927) in the department of Social Science. Miss Bradley's versatility has made it possible for her to be useful in a variety of departments as exigencies have arisen from time to time.
J. H. BRALY. Native of Missouri. Educated in public schools and University of Pacific, California, and in Cumberland University, Tennessee, from which he graduated in 1859. Taught in public schools of California six years, and in private academies five years. Superintendent of Schools in Santa Clara County, 1868-69. Was Vice-Principal and teacher in Normal School, San Jose, from August, 1873, till resignation, December 1883. Specialty natural philosophy.
Oscar Leo BRAUER entered the Science Department in 1926 and has taught Physics and Chemistry. His B. S. degree was received in 1910 and in 1911 he was given the degree of M. S. In 1915 Dr. Brauer was given his Ph. D. from the University of California.
Laura BREEHAN, B.S., Instructor in the College of Industrial Arts at Denton, Texas, gave a course on Foods at the summer session of 1922.
Grace BRINTON was a teacher in the Household Arts department for the year 1918-19. Before coming to this institution she had received a bachelor's degree in Philosophy and a master's degree.
Mrs. Helen BRITTON was secretary to the Director of the Training Department in 1922.
Edwin John BROWN was a part time instructor in Psychology during 1926-27. Mr. Brown is an alumnus of the Kansas State Teachers College and has a master's degree from Stanford besides additional graduate study in the latter institution.
Emily BROWN was an assistant in the Kindergarten Department from 1900 until 1902. She was later graduated from the General Elementary course and taught in San Jose for a few years before her death.
Elizabeth BUCKINGHAM taught Drawing and History from 1892 until 1895.
Elizabeth Lee BUCKINGHAM was a substitute in the English Department for six months in 1914. She is an alumnus of Stanford University where she received her master's degree, and where she is at present connected with the English department, as assistant professor of English.
In 1917-18 Miss Buckingham did graduate work at Columbia, and in 1926 she was made vice-president of the National Association of Teachers of Speech. During the year of 1927 she has been editor of the Quarterly Journal of Speech Education.
Newell H. BULLOCK began his work as a teacher of Physiology in 1900.
About 1907 he went to Chicago to continue his medical studies, returning later to San Jose to open his medical practice. His connection with the Teachers College has continued since that time to the present as medical advisor, a work he carries on in addition to a large private practice.
Helen C. BULLOCK became a member of the library staff in September, 1927. Her higher education was received in the University of Michigan, where she received her A. B. degree.
John S. BURSCH was a part time instructor in the department of Psychology during 1926-27. In addition to a bachelor of Science degree from the Kansas State Teachers College. Mr. Bursch has a master's degree in science from Stanford University as well as additional graduate study.
Miss BUSH. Assistant in Normal Department, spring term, 1868.
Fred E. BUSS entered the service of this institution in 1924 and has been a member of the Science department, his subjects being Physiography, Geology, Astronomy, and Geography.
His elementary and high school training were received in the state of New York; also some of his college work was acquired at the Chautauqua summer schools. From the Brigham University at Provo, Utah he received his A. B. in 1913, while in 1923 Stanford bestowed upon him his Master's degree. Additional graduate work has also been taken at Stanford.
Marion Frances BUTMAN has been since 1926 an instructor of the Department of Education and Teacher Training. Columbia University has given Miss Butman a bachelor of Science degree.
Susan L. BYRNE has been in the department of Fine and Industrial Arts since 1920. Her elementary and high school education were received in Jackson, Michigan, and her college work has been mainly at Columbia University, which has given her B. S. and A. M. degrees.
Mrs. Bertha Chapman CADY, M. A., Lecturer U. S. Interdepartmental Social Hygiene Board, gave a course on Physiology and Hygiene at the summer session of 1922.
Aarian CAKEBREAD, a graduate of the Teachers College, was appointed as a part time assistant in the physical training department in 1926. Besides his degree from this college, Mr. Cakebread has had additional study at Stanford.
Irma CAMP, B. S. instructor in the Iowa State College, Ames, Iowa, gave a course in Costume Design and House Decoration during the summer session of 1922.
Cecelia CARMICHAEL, who is a graduate of this normal school, has been a part time supervisor since 1926. She has been a teacher in the San Jose school department for many years and has for several years past been in charge of the Americanization work for the county. She has taken work in the University of California.
Myrtle CARNES was an instructor in the education and teacher training department during 1926-27. A degree from Columbia in science and additional graduate study at Columbia have been a part of Miss Carnes' educational training.
Estella Pearl CARTER, A. B. from the Oakland Technical High School, taught Sewing and Dress Design in the summer session of 1918.
George T. CASS, B. S. Mr. Cass earned his B. S. at the State Teachers College, Pittsburg, Kansas; graduate study, University of Kansas and University of California. Mr. Cass was an instructor during the summer session of 1927. He is Supervisor of Physical Education for Santa Clara County Rural Schools.
Dorothy M. CATON began her work in 1924 as assistant financial secretary. In 1925 she took full charge of the financial department, and has since 1926 also acted as secretary to the president. Miss Caton received her Junior certificate from the University of California in 1915, and in 1917 was given a secondary certificate in the Home Economics department of the Santa Barbara State Teachers College. During 1917-18 she was director of the cafeteria Hostess House at Camp Kearney. Since that time she has done secretarial work in the state department of architecture and state department of Education. Her A. B. degree was earned at the San Jose State Teachers College in 1925.
Frank R. CAUCH was for two years a member of the faculty, his service extending from 1897 to 1899, as head of the Chemistry department. He is a graduate of this school and has a B. S. from Columbia University. At the present time, (1927) he is director of Vocational Education in the Oakland Public Schools.
Frank Carroll CHALFANT, A.B. He received his A. B. in 1902 at Monmouth; Principal, the Waitsburg Academy (Washington): Professor of German, State College of Washington: Head of the Department of Foreign Languages, State College of Washington: Assistant at Stanford. Mr. Chalfant has been at San Jose since 1927. He has had graduate work at the University of Marburg, Germany, at the University of Berlin, Germany, and at the University of Grenoble, France.
Annie E. CHAMBERLAIN. Native of Wisconsin. Graduate of Normal Department, University of Wisconsin. Taught in Milwaukee High School several years; in Normal School, San Jose, from November, 1874, to March, 1879. Specialty, Mathematics. Has since taught two years in the Milwaukee Academy, and five years in the High School.
Joseph Conrad CHAMBERLIN entered the department of Biology in 1926, his subjects being General Biology and Zoology.
Mr. Chamberlin's training includes an A. B. “With Distinction” in Entomology from Stanford in 1923. He also was granted an A. M. from Stanford in 1924. In addition to being an assistant in Entomology in the University of California Citrus Experimental station at Riverside, Mr. Chamberlin has published a score of papers in the field of systematic entomology and arachnology.
Bess CHAPPELL, B. S., M. Di., State Supervisor of Home Economics Education, Wyoming, was on the Home Economics instructional staff at the summer session of 1923.
Howard Francis CHAPPELL has been an instructor in Agriculture and Science since September 1927. He has a degree from the University of California and has taught in high school for nine years. He was regional supervisor of Agricultural education with the State Board of Education before entering this college.
Evelyn CHASTEEN has been an instructor in education and teacher training since 1923-24 in connection with the kindergarten department. During 1927-28 she has been given a leave of absence for further study. She is a graduate of this school, and has had additional work at the University of California.
Dorothy Helen CHESLEY has been teaching French since 1926. A bachelor's and a master's degree from the University of Washington have been earned by her previous to becoming a member of the faculty.
Katherine CHRISTIAN entered the department of Education and Teacher Training in 1924 and remained for two years. She received her Bachelor's degree from the College of the Pacific and has had graduate study at U. C.
Miss Christian was married to Mr. John BODLEY in June, 1927.
Lillian P. CLARK, A. B. State Supervisor Americanization Teacher Training, Columbus, Ohio, gave a course in Americanization during the summer session of 1923.
Helen M. CLARK. Native of Canada. Graduate of the Toronto Normal School, where she taught several years. Principal of Training School, October, 1862, to May 1864. Assistant in Training School, September to December, 1865. Taught several years in the San Francisco schools. Afterwards became Mrs. BOYLE.
Mrs. Dorcas CLARK. Educated in Canada. Was a teacher of many years' experience when elected to a position in the California State Normal School. Assistant in Normal Department from May, 1865, to March 1873. Specialties, mathematics and history. Has taught most of the time since in Girls' High School, San Francisco.
Mabel CLARKE taught Drawing during the year 1897-98.
Mrs. A. B. CLEMENT was a member of the faculty during the year 1898-99.
Anita COLUMBET was an assistant supervisor in the Training department from 1919 until 1921. She is an Alumnus of Stanford University.
William M. COMAN, A. M., was on the instructional staff of the 1926 summer session in the department of education and teacher training.
Mr. Coman is principal of the Visalia Union High School, is a graduate of the Santa Barbara State Normal School, and received his A. M. degree from Stanford. He was the chief training officer of the Federal Board of Vocational Education in 1920; he was supervisor of Vocational Education, California State Board of Education 1921-24, and was secretary of Commission of Credentials, Sacramento, 1925.
P. M. CONDIT was connected with the Training Department during the year 1896-97 as principal. He also taught Psychology and Pedagogy. He had an A. B. from Oberlin College, and did special work at Valparaiso University and the University of California. After leaving this institution he was for two years superintendent of the Eureka schools. He returned to his home in Colorado and studied law but did not take the examination for admittance to the bar and took the superintendency of the Florence, Colorado schools.
He was on the summer faculty of the Colorado State Teachers' College, and intimately associated with the president, Dr. SNYDER, whose brother, E. R. SNYDER, was former president of the San Jose Teachers College. At the time of Mr. Condit's death in 1919 he had retired from school work and was devoting himself to the development of ranch properties he had in western Colorado.
Marion C. CONOVER entered the physical training department in 1922 and remained two years. She took a degree from the University of Wisconsin and was, previous to entering this teachers college, director of physical education in Shippensburg, Pennsylvania. Was also director of physical education in the Y.W.C.A. Minneapolis, the University of South Dakota.
In March, 1924, Miss Conover resigned and was married to Mr. Lloyd BROWN.
Mrs. P. C. COOK. Assistant in Training School part of school year, 1867-68.
W. Henry COOKE was a member of the Social Science department during 1926-27. His training shows an A. B. and an A. M. from Pomona College, and two years of graduate work at Stanford. His experience includes a year as history instructor at Pomona College, and a year as an instructor in citizenship at Stanford.
Leo J. COOPER gave a course in Dramatics at the summer session in 1924.
Ruth Esther CORNELL was connected with the music department for one year, from 1917 to 1918. After her elementary school work at San Jose she was graduated from the University of California Music Department. While at the university she collaborated in the composition of the music for the 1914 Parthenia, and later, in 1916, composed the music for the San Jose pageant. Her music was also used in the College presentation of “The Piper”, 1928. Miss Cornell married Dr. Enos Paul COOK and has two children, a girl and a boy.
Mildred CORNELL was an assistant in the registrar's office from 1922 until her marriage in 1925. She is a graduate of Stanford University and was for three years in the registrar's office at Stanford. She is now Mrs. Robert J. KETTENBURG, Oilfields.
Harriet CORY served in the English department from 1895 until 1907. Her special work was the teaching of literature in the upper grades. She is a graduate of the Normal School, of Mills College, and of Stanford, receiving her M. A. in 1902. She was married to Reverend H. B. HUMMEL in 1907 and went with him to West Africa into the mission field. They have one son born in Africa in 1908. After returning to America in 1913 Mrs. HUMMEL again engaged in school work and has for five years been teaching English in the Campbell High School.
Kate COZZENS. Native of California. Educated in public schools and Normal School. Graduated in 1878. Taught in schools of Santa Clara County for nine years. Became teacher of the model class in Training School in 1887, and remained for ten years. After leaving, Miss Cozzens entered into business life and resides in Oakland.
Alice CRONIN, a graduate of this institution, began her service to this school in 1915. She assisted in the training school office and later was a member of the instructional staff in Psychology. She is an alumnus of Stanford University and was married in 1926 to Mr. R. H. CASTRO. Her home is in Arizona and for the past year (1927) she has been substituting in the Arizona State Teachers College at Tempe.
At present she is assisting in the testing and classification in the Phoenix, Arizona High School.
Mabel CRUMBY has been a member of the faculty since 1920, with the exception of a year spent in study at Columbus where she received her master's degree and a year in London doing special work. Most of her time has been spent in the supervision of student teachers in the kindergarten-primary department, and assistant professor of education.
Ellwood P. CUBBERLEY of Stanford University was a special lecturer on History of Education during 1905-6, 1907-08.
Dr. Cubberley is at the head of the Education Department of Stanford University. He has been special lecturer at Columbia and at Harvard, and has been connected with a large number of educational surveys throughout the United States, where he has for many years been an outstanding educational leader. An indefatigable worker, he is the author of a score or more of books on educational subjects and was the editor of Monroe's Educational Cyclopedia. His home is Stanford University.
Irene R. CUNEO was a member of the Kindergarten department from 1918 to 1919. Her subjects were mental testing and educational psychology. To Stanford she owes her A. B. and A. M. degrees. She collaborated with Lewis M. TERMAN in Binet Tests of 112 Kindergarten children and received special mention by Mr. Terman in his “The Measurements of Intelligence.”
Miss Cuneo married A. Frank Cuneo and resides in Chicago, Ill.
Mary CUNNINGHAM has been in the Education and Teacher Training Department since 1923. She has her A.B. from this college and has done advanced work at Stanford towards her A. M. which she expects to receive at the end of the summer.
Marie CURTIS entered the Research Department as an assistant in 1922, and in 1923 was made appointment secretary for the Alumni Placement Bureau. She is a graduate of the Teachers College with the degree of A. B. and is credited with work in the University of California previous to her entrance in this college.
Morris Elmer DAILEY began teaching Mathematics in 1894. Except for a leave of absence he continued until 1900 when he was made president.
A more extended biography appears in this volume under the head of presidents.
Nettie C. DANIELS. A native of Michigan. Graduate of University of Michigan. Taught two years in State Normal School at Indiana, Pennsylvania. Entered the Normal School as teacher in English, and remained until 1895. Has since been living in Michigan.
Nina DAVENPORT served in the art department from 1904 to 1905. She was a Stanford senior at the time and later received her A. B. degree. Miss Davenport was married to James L. CUTLER in 1907 and lived in Iowa and later in New York. She has taken art work at Columbia and at Genesseo Normal, also has taken a library course and at this date (1927) is teaching art and doing library work at Greene, New York.
Mrs. Cutler has three children.
Percy Erwin DAVIDSON was a special lecturer on the Principles of Education during the year 1907-08. An A. B. from Stanford, A. M. from Harvard, Ph. D. from Columbia, and many years of experience in the educational field form a part of Dr. Davidson's equipment. He has done supervisory work in the various normal schools of this state, and also has taught in New York. Since 1907 he has been at Stanford.
Corinne DAVIS entered the psychology department in 1918, after her graduation from this school. She has an A. B. and A. M. from Stanford and has done further graduate work at Columbia and Stanford.
E. Grace DAVIS was a substitute in the physical training department in 1913-14.
Miss Davis married in 1923 and is now Mrs. BURROUGHS.
Marjorie Eccles DAWSON was a teacher in the primary grades of the Training School from 1921 to 1924. A. B. and M. A. from Columbia University form the higher training Miss Dawson had previous to entering this institution. She is at present in the State Normal School at Bellingham, Washington.
Eugenio DeLUCA was instructor of modern language in 1921-22. A part of his training was received at Stanford University.
Joey DENTON was appointed critic teacher in the primary department in 1903. She remained in this position until her resignation in 1914 when she became governess to the two little daughters of Howard Hamilton HART of Berkeley in their home at Claremont. After leaving Mr. Hart's family she took up her residence in Santa Monica.
N. De LORENZO was a part time instructor in orchestra in 1920-22.
Emily De VORE has been Demonstration teacher since September, 1927. She has a Bachelor's degree from Columbia University and has taken graduate work at Stanford. Her training includes supervisory work at the Oregon Normal School and Michigan State Teachers College. She was also principal of the training school in Oregon Normal School. Miss De Vore has published a Course of Study in Reading and Literature for the state of Oregon, and has contributed to an issue of “Educational Administration and Supervision.”
James C. De VOSS has been in charge of the Psychology department since 1922. He received his A. B. and A. M. from the University of Colorado, and his Ph. D. from Stanford in 1924. Dr. De Voss has given wide attention to Research, Educational Measurements, Educational Testing, and problems connected with the mental endowment of children, especially those relating to gifted children. He has published widely along these lines and has contributed many interesting articles to educational magazines which have attracted favorable attention from the increasing workers in the field of educational research.
Joseph DIAS, principal of the Centerville Grammar School, has been a part time supervisor in connection with the teacher training department since 1923. He has a bachelor's degree from the State Teachers College, and also has a degree in law from the Chicago law school.
Helen DIMMICK became Dean of Women in 1924. She also teaches English and has a B.L. and M. A. from the University of California. For three and a half years she was assistant secretary for credentials, State Board of Education, Sacramento.
Truman L. DONOHO was a member of the department of Modern Language during 1926 to 1927 teaching Spanish and French.
To Stanford he owes his B. A. and M. A. degrees, and his teaching experience includes two years of high school and two years of college work.
A. L. DORNBERGER, principal of the Horace Mann School, was a part time supervisor in the Teacher Training Department during 1926. Mr. Dornberger is a graduate of this normal school, and is well known and successful educator in this county.
Alice DOWN came to institution as instructor in the Social Science Department in the fall of 1927. She received the master's degree from the University of California.
Stanley DOUGAN, M. D., was a member of the Natural Science Department during the 1926 to 1927. His subjects were Anatomy, Bacteriology and Physiology. His A. B. he obtained from Ohio University and his medical degree from Stanford.
Miles A. DRESKELL has been an instructor in the Music Department since 1925, and has recently been made Director. The Northwestern University gave him his bachelor's degree in music, and he has had further study with this institution.
Mrs. Luther E. Du BOIS (Johnnie Johnson) was an assistant in the physical training department in 1912. After graduating from the normal school she entered Stanford and received her bachelor's degree. She has had several years of teaching and was playground director of the municipal playground in Oakland. She is married and has three boys. Is at present (1927) rural teacher in Yolo County.
Carl Dudley DUNCAN entered the department of Biological Science in 1922, his subjects being general biology and general botany.
Mr. Duncan is a Stanford man, receiving his A. B. and A. M. degree from the university. He has published scientific papers on Insects and one of Crustacea.
Benjamin EDWARDS was a member of the Music Department as an instructor during 1926-27. The Mar de Mar School of Music, St. Olaf College, and Denver Conservatory of Music gave him his training which includes a degree in Music.
Mrs. Edith Dimmitt ELDER substituted in the Modern Language Department. She has a bachelor's degree from Nebraska Wesleyan University and has done additional graduate work at Stanford University.
Jay C. ELDER has been at the head of the department of Biological Science since 1921. His A. B. and A. M. were gained at the University of Nebraska and Ph. D. from the University of California. He has published articles on Marine Biology and Experimental Pathology, and is a most tireless worker along scientific lines. Dr. Elder is dean of the Junior Certificate Division.
J. H. ELWOOD taught music in the normal school as early as 1874, but was not regularly employed until some years later.
Until his death in 1901 he led the music and taught music classes. He was exceptionally gifted in his ability to lead large choruses. Small of stature and unimposing in personality he possessed a rare gift of compelling attention and of drawing music from the most unpromising material. His exceptional ability as a leader of large choruses was recognized throughout the community and when the dedicatory services in connection with the opening of Stanford University were held, Professor Elwood gathered and trained the large chorus which furnished the music on this occasion in the Stanford quadrangle. His death occurred at his San Jose home, September 24, 1901.
Rebecca F. ENGLISH began her work in the primary department of the Training School in 1891. Exceptionally fine work in the San Francisco schools had brought her to the attention of the Normal School President, and although not intending to remain here she found her associations so congenial that she became permanently identified with this institution until her resignation in 1923. Miss English was educated in Boston, and received a part of her teaching experience in New England before removing with her family to this coast. She was pre-eminently fitted to deal with young children by reason of her intense love and sympathy for childhood, and her understanding of childish hearts, but her love of art lured her to intensive study along artistic lines, and she finally gave up her training school work and became identified with the art department. One of the outstanding features of Miss English's connection with this school was the generous gift of her own talents and time and energy and skill to any and all who came to use her for assistance. Neither labor nor time were held too precious if she could be of use to those who sought her advice or aid. Her death occurred in August, 1924.
Warren ENGLISH was an assistant in the Manual Arts Department for one year, 1912-1913.
Mrs. Cora ERVIN, a graduate of the Home Making Department of the Teachers College and an instructor in the part time high school of San Jose, was on the instructional staff during the summer session of 1924.
Fannie M. ESTABROOK. Native of Illinois. Educated in Illinois State Normal School and National School of Elocution at Philadelphia. Taught elocution twelve years. Taught reading and elocution in San Jose Normal School from August 1884, to 1890. Married Mr. YARD, well-known painter. Her death occurred at her Carmel home in March, 1928.
Winifred F. ESTABROOK was for eight years assistant librarian, from 1915 to 1923. A graduate of this school, she later took a course at the Riverside Library and in 1924 received her degree from Stanford. No one connected with the school during these eight years will forget the charm of Miss Estabrook's voice as she appeared before the student body and entertained them with her singing.
At this date (1927) and for some years past, she has been librarian at the Theodore Roosevelt Junior High School, but it is interesting to know that her musical studies are still continued. During the summer of 1927 she was identified with the San Francisco Opera Company and received from the opera director lavish praise on the quality of her voice and her exceptional talents for an operatic career.
Helen EVANS was assistant in the library from 1915 until the resignation of Miss Ruth ROYCE in 1918. She then took charge of the library and remained until 1923 when she left to take a position in the Riverside Library. Miss Evans was trained in the Riverside Library Service School and holds a life certificate in library science. She also has a first grade certificate issued by the California Library Association.
Louise H. EVERHARDY, M. A., gave a course in art at the summer session of 1927. Miss Everhardy is assistant professor of Art, Kansas State College, Manhattan; she is a graduate of the Kansas State Normal School, and of the New York School of Fine and Applied Arts. She received her master's degree from Columbia.
Alice M. FELKER was a critic teacher in the Training Department from 1891 until 1899. She was a graduate of the school, and had taught in the public schools of the state several years. Her training also included a kindergarten course in the San Francisco Normal School. She did literary work for publications. She was in the Hawaiian Islands for a time and died some years ago.
Caroline L. FIEDLER became a member of the Training School staff in 1896 as Critic Teacher. She remained until 1902. At last reports she was engaged in social service work in San Mateo County under Bishop NICHOLS. Miss F. FIELDER (sic) is a graduate of this school.
Helen A. FIELD entered the department of teacher training in 1921, as principal of the primary department and teacher of primary curriculum and introduction to Education. She owes her B. S. to Teachers College, Columbia University and her A. M. to Columbia University. She resigned in 1924 and is at present (1927) in the State Normal School at Upper Montclair, New Jersey.
Catherine FINLAYSON was an assistant in the Department of Physical Education from 1925 to 1927. The Colorado Agriculture College and the San Jose State Teachers College have contributed to her higher training.
Ida M. FISHER entered the music department in 1907. She is a graduate of the University of Pittsburg from which she received her bachelor's degree. She has also taken work in the New England Conservatory, in the Holt School of Music, in the Tomlin's School of Music in Northwestern University, and in the University of California.
A. L. FITZGERALD. Assistant in Normal Department spring term, 1868.
Anna Lyle FOSTER was a substitute in the Art Department for a few months in 1912. She has since married.
Mayme FOSTER was a assistant in the Business Department in 1917 and later was business Secretary until her resignation in 1921. Married and living in Texas.
Una Eugenia FOWLER was a teacher of English during 1899-1900.
Charles Edwin FRANSEEN became a member of the Education Department in 1927. His higher education was received in the universities of Oregon and Washington. He has a master's degree in Education and has been head of the Rural Department in the Oregon Normal School at Monmouth.
George Earl FREELAND has been director of Education and Teacher Training since 1921. He possesses an A. B. from Kansas State Teachers College and an A. M. and Ph. D. from Clark University. A background of work as principal and superintendent in the rural, elementary and high schools has fitted him exceptionally for work in higher institutions. Before entering this institution he served as Head of the Department of Education in the Northwest State Normal School at Edinboro, Pennsylvania, also as principal of the Training School at the State Teachers College, Greeley, Colorado, and was associate professor of education at the University of Washington, later taking the position of professor of education at this institution. He has given lectures on education at Stanford and has many educational publications to his credit, - pamphlets and magazine articles, besides his books the Improvement of Teaching, Modern Elementary School Practice and others. Dr. Freeland is a diligent worker along educational lines and has other books and articles in press at this writing.
Mary GABRIELSON, M. A. Instructor of Foods and Cookery, Iowa Agricultural College, Ames, Iowa, was an instructor in the summer session of 1923.
Annette GANO was an assistant supervisor in the Training Department from 1917 until 1918. She then went into canteen war work at her home in Houston.
Henry Edwin GILFORD Jr. was a member of the instructional staff in the summer session of 1925, in the department of Occupations and Home Mechanics. The University of California and Teachers College, Columbia University have contributed to his training.
Frances W. GILLETTE has been connected with the Arts Department since 1924. She is a graduate of Pomona College and also has credentials from the Los Angeles State Normal School. She has had special study at Cooper Art School, New York, and at Columbia, as well as summer work at the University of California. Her teaching includes design, painting, lettering, etching and art principles.
Margaret GLEASON was an instructor in the Household Arts Department from 1917 until 1919. For some years she has been head of the Home Economics department of the College of Industrial Arts in Denton, Texas.
Mabelle GLENN taught music in the summer session of 1925 and 1926. Miss Glenn came from the Kindergarten department of Galesburg, Illinois and has had training in the Monmouth Conservatory of Music and the Northwestern University. She is supervisor of music, Kansas City.
Charles B. GODDARD became Registrar in December, 1925. His training includes work at the University of Michigan, University of Wisconsin, Washington University, St. Louis, Mo. and Stanford University, where he received his A. B. Mr. Goddard has also had considerable experience in teaching. He was teacher of English in the Harris Teachers College of St. Louis, and of the Yeatman High School. He was principal of the Evening High School at St. Louis and was district representative of the War Camp Community Service in 1918-21. For four years he was assistant registrar at Stanford University.
Meta Marion GOLDSMITH has been connected with the department of Modern Language since 1926 as a teacher of German and Spanish. Her B. A. degree was received at the Oregon University. She is also a graduate student of the University of California and of the University of Madrid, Spain. She has also taken special work at Centro de Estudios Historicos, Madrid.
Mrs. George GOODELL was a teacher of Music during the year 1900-1901.
Francis C. GONDRING has been a member of the Art Department since 1925. She has taken work at the University of California and the College of the Pacific. She possesses a B. S. degree from Teachers College, Columbia. She has had a summer in Europe, and in 1927 was granted a year's leave of absence which she expects to spend in study in New York.
Earnest S. GREENE has been a member of the faculty since September, 1927, as an instructor of chemistry. His education includes two years at Stanford, and two years at the San Jose State Teachers' College, where he received his A. B. degree in June, 1927.
Eleanor V. GRATZ became assistant to the Dean in 1915. She has taught mathematics constantly since, and in 1926 gave up her work in the dean's office and has devoted all of her time to teaching. An A. B. from Stanford and graduate work in Stanford and in Columbia have contributed to her efficiency and kept her in touch with the leading educators.
Isabel McReynolds GRAY, B. L., Instructor Educational Dramatics, Manual Arts High School, Los Angeles, gave a course in English at the 1923 summer session.
S. Estelle GREATHEAD was registrar from 1905 until 1923. She is a graduate of this school, has taken Extension courses from Stanford, correspondence courses from the University of California, and the four year Chautauqua course. Taught about nine years and was at one time editor of a Children's magazine. Is at present engaged upon the compilation of the history of the Teachers College. Residence Pearl Avenue, San Jose.
Katherine GREENLEAF, who received her training and her degree at Mills College, was an assistant in the library during 1926-27. She is now Mrs. Oscar PEDLEY and lives in Monterey.
Nannie C. GILDAY. Native of Missiouri. Educated in public schools and academy in Missouri. Taught one year in private school; twelve years in public schools of Kansas City. Became assistant critic teacher in Training Department of the Normal School in 1889. Specialties Music, drawing and reading. She remained until 1894. A report has recently been received of her death.
Margaret D. GILDEA of the Theodore Roosevelt Junior High School, has been a part time supervisor in the teacher training department since 1926. She is a graduate of this institution and has had work at the University of California and in the Oregon Agricultural College.
Phebe P. GRIGSBY (Mrs. Jas. T. HAMILTON). Native of Wisconsin. Educated in district schools of Wisconsin and in Plattesville Normal School. Graduated in 1871. Taught in Wisconsin public schools three years; in Normal School, San Jose, from November, 1874 to December, 1885. For nine years of this time was teacher of the Preparatory Class; for the succeeding two years, taught in the Junior Class. Married June 7, 1881. One child. Died some years ago.
Florence GRIGSBY taught in the primary department of the Training School from the date of her graduation in 1874 until 1876. She is a native of Wisconsin and her early education was received in that state. She married E. C. SINGLETARY in 1877 and had twin sons, one of whom died some years ago. Mrs. Singletary resides at 1245, The Alameda, and is actively interested in the club and church activities and in the care of her beautiful home.
Flora Adair GUNNERSON has been instructor in Education and Teacher Training since 1925. Her training has included study in the Washington University, St. Louis, Harris Teachers College, and graduate study at Stanford. She has a Bachelor's degree from the University of Chicago and a Master's degree from Stanford.
Edmond GURNEY was a teacher in the Home Making Department at the summer session of 1925 and 1926.
Samuel Milo HADDEN was a lecturer on Vocational Education during 1926-27. From Greeley Teachers College he received his degree in Pedagogy, and the University of Denver gave him a master's degree. He also had further graduate study at Chicago University and at Columbia.
Aline HALL was sixth grade supervisor in the Training School for the year 1919-1920. She holds a B. S. degree in education from Columbia University; also a special art certificate.
Katherine H. HALL has been connected with this institution since 1911, and was in charge of the Intermediate Department until the reorganization of the College in 1922. Since that time she has been assistant professor of education, specializing in intermediate and upper grade curriculum, school administration and project education. She has an A. B. from Stanford and an M. A. and Masters' degree Diploma in Supervision from Columbia. She has also done additional work at Stanford, has traveled extensively, and in 1927 was instructor in the summer school at Yale. She is co-author with George E. FREELAND and Roxanna ADAMS of “Teaching in the Intermediate Grades.”
Edith C. HAMMACK was an assistant in the department of education during 1923-24.
Elizabeth HAM has been instructor in Education and Teacher Training since 1926-27. Her bachelor's degree was earned at the College of the Pacific and study at Stanford and at the San Jose State Teachers College has been part of her training.
Mrs. Frances Frazier HAMBLETON became supervisor and Demonstration teacher of the sixth grade in 1920. She is a graduate of this school and has an A. B. and A. M. from Stanford. She has also done graduate work at Harvard. After leaving here in 1923 she was principal of the Ravenswood Grammar School, and in 1926 became instructor in Social Science in the Long Beach High School.
Emily J. HAMILTON substituted from 1891 until 1892 as a teacher of Word Analysis and Composition.
Jennie M. HAMMOND. Graduate of Normal School 1878. Taught in public schools six years; assistant and critic teacher in Intermediate Class of Training Department from February, 1884 to May, 1887. Miss Hammond taught music in the San Jose schools for a time; later she went into the government service, and in 1909, with two other ladies, established and conducted the Colonial Cafeteria in Oakland, where she has been eminently successful.
Sibyl C. HANCHETT (Sibyl CROLY) has been an assistant in the Music Department since 1926. She is a graduate of this normal school, and has taught for some years. She has a gift for lyric verse, and is also quite successful in composing and staging children's operettas. She has four children and lives in Saratoga.
Alice B. HANSEN has taught Physiology, Hygiene and Anatomy since September, 1927. She has her A. B. from the University of California.
Edward Wentworth HARRINGTON began his connection with this institution in 1925, teaching Principles of Junior High School Education and Junior High School Curriculum. He has an A. B. from Stanford and an M. A. from the University of California. He has done additional graduate study and is a Phi Delta Kappa. He was in the war service in 1918 at Camp Lewis. During 1927-28 Mr. Harrington had a year's leave of absence.
Frank Carlyle HARMON, A. B. 1927. Chem. E. 1928, Stanford; at San Jose since 1927.
Mary R. HARRIS. Assistant in Normal Department. January 1864 to February, 1864. Resigned to take a position in San Francisco schools.
Julia C. HARRISON, A.B., supervisor of Physical Education in the schools of San Joaquin County, gave a course in physical education at the summer session of 1922.
Effie I. HAWKINS was assistant professor in the department of History from 1921 until her death in 1924. Her bachelor's degree in education was received at Stanford University, and previous to entering this college she was a teacher in the Berkeley High School. Miss Hawkins was graduated from this Normal school.
Luella Frances HAYES has been secretary to the President since March 1, 1928. She is a graduate of Miss Miller's Private School for Secretaries, in San Francisco, and has also studied at this institution.
Karl Snyder HAZELTINE became a teacher in Agriculture and Nature Study in 1916. He received a B. S. degree from the University of California and an M. A. from Stanford in 1926. Besides his science work he has supervised athletics. He has been granted a year's leave of absence in 1927-28 for the purpose of graduate study at Cornell.
Alice F. HAYNES was an assistant in the Kindergarten Department in 1918.
Harrison F. HEATH entered the department of Mathematics in 1926. His education includes graduation from the State Normal School at Belligham, degree of B.S. from the University of Washington, and M.A. In 1921. At the present time (1927) he is doing graduate work at Stanford.
Arthur HEINSEN, Sheet Metal Instructor, San Jose High School, gave a course in Manual Arts Department during the summer session of 1923.
Walter R. HEPNER, M. A., gave a course in Social Science in the summer session of 1923.
Stella HERNDON, from the city school department, became assistant critic teacher in the Training School in 1900, and remained until 1903. She is a graduate of this school, and is at the present time (1927) a teacher in the Grant Grammar School of San Jose.
Hermine HENZE was registrar from 1923 until 1925.
Laura E. HERRON was at the head of the Women's Division of Physical Education in the San Jose Teachers College during 1924 and 25, when she left to enter the State Teachers College in Humboldt County. She has a Master's degree from the University of California and has done graduate work both at Stanford and U. C. She was instructor in the Oakland playground and recreational department for a year and was an assistant in the Physical Education Department at Stanford. She has had several years experience in the California High Schools.
Mary HEYDENFELT. Assistant in Training School part of school year 1867-68.
Andrew P. HILL entered the Manual Arts Department as an instructor in 1911, and remained for about two years, teaching House Planning, Cabinet Making, Art Metal work, and kindred subjects. He is a graduate of the Normal School and of Stanford University. After his graduation from Stanford he taught in Palo Alto for a time, and later came to San Jose as assistant city superintendent of schools, his architectural training making his services in school planning of special value to the city school department. The reorganization of the department of education in 1927 by Governor YOUNG led to his appointment as Chief of Division of School House Planning, and his headquarters are in Sacramento.
Clara HINZE became a member of the faculty in 1913 as an assistant to Mrs. GEORGE in the Geography department. Since the resignation of Mrs. George in 1920 she has had charge of this work, having received a degree of B.L. from the University of California. She has also done graduate work at Stanford, and is an alumnus of this school. Miss Hinze has always been a most useful member of the faculty, standing ready at any time to fill a breach in the wall. She was editor of the Old Timers' edition of the Alumni Bulletin published in June, 1927.
Celesta HOBSON, a graduate of the Normal School, was a teacher in the art department during 1923-24. She is a graduate of Stanford University, and is very gifted in her special line, as old copies of the Normal Pennant and year books give concrete testimony.
Louise HODGES was an assistant in the department of education and teacher training during 1923-24.
Estelle HOISHOLT entered the Art department in 1920. After being graduated from this school she entered Stanford and was given her bachelor's degree in 1919. At this writing she has been given a years' leave of absence, (1927-28) for further study at Columbia and abroad. Besides her Stanford work she has had study and travel in Europe.
Mrs. Leona S. HOLMSTRUP was secretary to the president from 1923 until she became private secretary to Governor YOUNG in 1927. Previous to entering the faculty she did secretarial work for Dr. David Starr JORDAN.
R. S. HOLWAY is a native of Iowa and was educated in the public schools of Iowa where he taught for five years. He also taught in high schools of California as principal for seven years, coming from the principalship of the San Jose High School to the Normal School as a teacher of Mathematics and Physics. He was later made Vice-Principal and remained until 1900. After that time Mr. Holway resided in Berkeley where he was an instructor in the University of California in Physiography until failing health compelled him to resign. He died December 2, 1927. Mr. Holway wrote and published many valuable articles on scientific subjects and was recognized by his associates as a man whose thorough research and profound thought, especially along the lines of Physiography, made his findings valuable to all students whose interest lay in the fields of scientific research.
Mrs. Adella R. HORNBROOK became identified with this institution in 1913 when she did some research work in the primary department of the training school in connection with her number play. She later was appointed an instructor and continued until 1918. Mrs. Hornbrook was the author of several mathematical treatises which have been translated into Russian and other languages. Her special emphasis was the teaching of numbers to little children through play, and at the time of her connection with this school she was engaged upon another book dealing with her theory. She was known quite generally in educational circles as the teacher of mathematics to Winifred STONIER, the child prodigy. After leaving San Jose, Mrs. Hornbrook did some special work in the Cora L. Williams School, Berkeley. Her death occurred in Berkeley a few years ago.
Eliza W. HOUGHTON. Native of Massachusetts. Educated in public schools of Massachusetts and at Mount Holyoke Seminary. Was a pupil of George R. EMERSON, in Boston, three years. Taught in Harrisburg Seminary, Pennsylvania, and Providence High School, Rhode Island; in Normal School from July, 1864 to April, 1877, with leave of absence during part of 1869 and part of 1876. Was Preceptress from August, 1873, to April, 1877, when she returned to her home in Massachusetts. After her death, which occurred some years ago, her sister-in-law, Mrs. Fannie G. Houghton, of Berkeley, established a Scholarship for the benefit of worthy students in the school, which is known as the Eliza W. Houghton Scholarship.
Agnes Emmons HOWE began teaching History, Economics and Civics in 1897, and remained until 1918. She has an A. B. from Stanford and M. A. from the University of Wisconsin. Miss Howe was a member of the faculty European party in 1909 and later spent several months in Europe in travel and study. With the exception of two years of absence on leave, 1903-04 and 1912-13, she continued her work until she resigned to take the superintendency of the Santa Clara County Schools, an office which she filled most successfully for four years. Since then she has been engaged in supervision and teaching work.
Horace H. HOWE was a member of the faculty for two years, from 1896 to 1898, his subject being mathematics. He had a Ph. B. from Syracuse University and an A. M. from Stanford University. After leaving the Normal School he became principal of the Adelphi Academy, Brooklyn, N. Y. and during the war engaged in the survey in New England in 1916-18, and was organizer to the U.S. Government of the Employment service and Red Cross work during the latter part of the war.
Mrs. H. E. HOYT was critic Teacher in the Training Department from 1889 to 1900.
Mrs. Meredith HUDSON was an assistant in the business office during 1926-27.
Myrtie C. HUDSON. Native of Ohio. Educated in public schools, San Jose Normal School (class of '78) and University of Michigan (class of '85). Taught in public schools of California six and a half years; in Normal School from January 1886 to June 1889. Specialities, composition and history. After leaving the normal school in 1889, Miss Hudson married Dr. E. R. WAGNER, and went with him to North China into mission work where they remained ten years. There are four children, one girl and three boys. Mrs. Wagner has been foreign secretary and editorial secretary of the Women's Board of Missions for the Pacific Congregational Church since 1906. She has always taken a wide and active interest in Y.W.C.A. work, and in various lines of church activities.
Hugh Martin HUFFMAN has been a part time instructor in Chemistry since 1926. From the Washington State College at Pullman he received a bachelor’s degree, and later he received a master’s degree from Stanford, where he has done additional graduate study.
Mrs. Jennie HUGHES taught History and Botany from about 1890 until 1892. She was a graduate of the normal school of Salem, Massachusetts, and had special scientific courses in the Harvard Annex. An instructor in the Chautauqua summer school, and contributions to various educational journals of the eastern states gave her an ample background for her work.
C. Frank INGERSON was in the art department in 1912, and although he remained but two years he made a strong impress upon the school by reason of his marvelous personality and his wide artistic training. Mr. Ingerson's home is in the Santa Cruz mountains, at Cathedral Oaks, but his artistic career has taken him far afield. Notable among his artistic achievements is the design of the Holy of Holies for a San Francisco synagogue executed in London, after the most painstaking research of original sources. He was assisted in this undertaking by his friend and partner, Mr. Charles DENNISON, who shares his home and his labors.
Joy Belle JACKSON became a member of the library staff in February 1926. She has studied at Northwestern University and has a B. A. from the University of California. She has also had graduate study in the Library school at the University of California.
Laura G. JAMES, M.A., was an instructor in the Home Making Department for the summer of 1926. She is registered at the University of California and is now doing research work for her doctor’s degree at Edinburg University.
Violet B. JAYNE began her work as a teacher of English in 1893. She remained until 1896.
Hubert JENKINS was a substitute in the science department for a few months in 1916. He is an alumnus of Stanford University and of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
Pauline D. JOHNSON, Department of Home Economics in the University High School of Berkeley, gave a course on Clothing during the summer session of 1922.
Lydia I. JONES, who was dean of women from 1921 until 1925, is a New England woman and was educated at Columbia University, which gave her a master's degree, after completing her work at Cornell University. In addition to her duties as dean she taught classes in English, until she left to accept the position of dean of women in the State Normal College at Ypsilanti, Michigan.
Stephen A. JONES was a teacher of Pedagogy and Algebra for six months, from January to July, 1896.
Alice JORDAN was in charge of the Kindergarten department in 1904-1905 during the absence of Miss MACKENZIE, and continued the kindergarten work during the next year. After leaving she entered the school department in Oakland. Died in 1909.
Eva V. JOSEPH substituted as a teacher of Psychology and Botany from February, 1894 until the end of the school year. She is a graduate of the school and has since married.
Jan KALAS has been connected with the music department since 1925. His training was received at Prague.
Ellen F. KELLEY was a member of the Training Department staff as critic teacher in 1893. She was a graduate of this school. Married in 1900 to Charles Daniel CHAPMAN.
Elizabeth KELLEY, physical director of the public schools in St. Paul, Minnesota, was a member of the instructional staff in the summer session of 1918.
Lorene KELLEY entered the Teacher Training Department in 1925 as supervisor of the first grade, then of the second grade, and later of the kindergarten primary curriculum course. She is a graduate of the Chico State Teachers College and has done extensive work at Columbia University, where she has received her B.S. and M. A. degrees, besides doing a additional year of graduate work.
Edith KING was assistant critic teacher in the primary department from 1903 until her resignation in 1906.
Miss Enid KINNEY was a member of the Art Department from 1899 until 1919, with three leaves of absence for study and travel. Her subjects included drawing, design, applied design, and art history. She has a B. A. from Stanford and has had extensive study in private art classes in California and in the east. She was a member of the faculty travel party in 1909 and has since made several trips abroad for study. She lives with her sister at 455 Coleridge St., Palo Alto, and spends a part of the time at their Carmel cottage.
Miss Ettie KINNEY entered the Science Department in 1893, and remained for thirty years with the exception of three years leave of travel and study. Her work included Zoology, Physiology and Nature Study. Her training consisted of graduation from the San Jose Normal School and a B.A. degree from Stanford besides extensive travel in Europe, Egypt and Palestine. She was a member of the Normal Faculty travel party in 1909 and since her resignation in 1921 has made further trips abroad. Her home is at 455 Colridge St., Palo Alto, with frequent trips to her cottage at Carmel.
George R. KLEEBERGER. Native of Wisconsin. Educated in public schools of Wisconsin, State Normal School, Platteville, Wisconsin, Yale College, Connecticut. Taught in public schools of Wisconsin as Principal, four years; Connecticut, two years. Teacher of science in Normal School, Whitewater, Wisconsin, three years. Taught in public schools of California as Principal three and a half years; in Normal School, San Jose, from February 1882 to 1895. Specialties, chemistry and geology. Married April 19, 1879. Three children, one living. After leaving the normal school in 1895, Professor Kleeberger became connected with the faculty of the University of California and remained until ill health forced him to relinquish his educational work.
E. R. KNOLLIN entered the department of Physical Training in 1924. He is the Dean of Men and Director of the Department of Physical Education. He has an A.B. from Stanford and has done two years of graduate work. His experience includes teaching of physical education at Stanford, in the San Francisco schools, and in other parts of California. He has in addition professional stage and army work to his credit.
Dorothy KRISHER was an assistant in the library in 1924 and 1925. She has her master's degree from Stanford University and her bachelor's degree from Simmons college.
Gretchen KRONCKE became a member of the Physical Training staff in 1926. She has a B.S. from the University of Wisconsin.
Clara Elizabeth KUCK entered the English department in 1925. Her subjects are English Composition, Oral English, and Public Speaking. She has a B. L. from Carleton College and has a diploma from the School of Expression, Boston. She has had graduate study at Berlin University, and at Boston University. Also summer work at Stanford University.
Olive KUNTZ has been an assistant professor in Social Science since 1925. She has two degrees from the University of California, and a doctor's degree from the University of Washington. She has also had graduate study at Oxford.
Maria Ward LAMBIN was a lecturer on Americanization during the summer session of 1922.
Helen LAMSON of the Oakland School Department was an instructor on the subject of Americanization during the summer session of 1922.
Violet LANNIS was an instructor in the art department in the summer session of 1926. She is a graduate of the San Jose Teachers College in art and has studied with Schaeffer, Johnnot and Donaldson.
Milton LAWRENCE was musical director during 1897-98.
Polly Dee LEARNARD was an assistant in the Physical Training Department in 1925-26. She is an alumnus of Stanford University.
Robert A. LEE, principal of the Lowell Grammar School, has been a part time supervisor in connection with teacher training during 1926. Mr. Lee is a graduate of this school, and a well known educator, especially in this county, where he has resided for many years.
Transcribed by: Jeanne Sturgis Taylor.
Source: Greathead, Mrs. Estelle, The Story of an Inspiring Past, Historical Sketch of the San Jose State Teachers College from 1862 to 1928. Published by San Jose State Teachers College, 1928.
© 2014 Jeanne Sturgis Taylor.