40th - (2nd Somersetshire) Regiment of Foot departing NZ in 1866

The 40th

New Zealand Bound
(2nd Somersetshire) Regiment of Foot

Reference online:  'Papers Past' - a NZ National Library website. 

Southern Cross, 10 December 1863
Funeral of Ensign Andrew Ducrow, 40th Regiment. Died at the Queen's Redoubt, of wounds received in action at Rangiriri, 20th Nov. 1863, aged 21 years. He had had his leg amputated. Andrew entered service in the 40th Regt. on the 18th January, 1861 and shortly embarked from England for this colony. In May last he went to Taranaki, and returned with the rest of the troops. This now brings the number of officers lost to the British service by the attack on Rangiriri to no less than six. Daily Southern Cross, Dec. 24. Probably buried at the Auckland Cemetery.

Southern Cross, 10 December 1863
Military Colonisation of New Zealand, page 4
Human nature, in primitive conditions is about the same, whether under a red skin or a copper colour; under a black skin or a tawny, one principle rules first - That they should take who have the power; and they should keep who can. War is a most expensive game, as you'll find when it comes to the shelling out. The Field of Glory, the more it is ploughed, the less it pays, where as Peace, the more it is cultivated, the more it yields. What a pity that the dogs of war are ever allowed to go at large without having their muzzles on! Whoever lets one of those dogs loose endangers the lives of hundreds of thousands of his fellow-creatures. What a deal of madness there would have been saved to the world, if they had always been strongly chained up at home.

The Otago Witness 6 October 1865 pg 17

Transport of H.M. 65th Regiment
The tenders of the ships John Temperley and Rob Roy have, we understand, been nominally accepted by the Resident Transport Officer at Auckland, for the conveyance to England of H.M. 65th Regiment. An additional survey of the ships Lancashire Witch, John Temperley and Rob Roy will be held in a few days, when the final selection will be made. The first vessel will sail about the end of the current month, and the second will follow in 10 or 12 days afterwards. There will be some 360 passengers for each vessel. "Southern Cross" One of the vessels tendered was the Caribou, now in Port Chalmers, a ship of superior qualifications for the purpose intended.

Southern Cross 7 May 1866 pg5The Southern Cross May 7 1866 & 8 May 1866, Page 3
The first portion of H.M. 40th Regiment, comprising of 336 rank and file, 18 invalids, 18 officers, 4 staff sergeants, 20 women, and 40 children, will embark for England, this morning, on board the chartered troop-transport ship 'Mary Shepherd,' and leave these shores to-morrow. The men will march into town from their quarters at Otahuhu, and embark at 11 o'clock. The baggage of the troops was shipped on Saturday, arriving from camp early during the morning. The following officers and their families accompany the troops proceeding in this vessel:-
Lieutenant-Colonel F.S. Blyth (in command) and Mrs Blyth
Major Paul (Major of Brigade)
Captain L.W. Fisher
Captain A.F. Fitzsimmons and wife
Lieutenant A.M.C. Moller
Lieutenant F. Dudgeon
Lieutenant R. Preter
Lieutenant M. Morphy
Lieutenant L.N. Lloyd
Ensign Gomez
The Rev. J. Bailey (Bayley) (army chaplain) , Mrs Bailey and two children
Dr Jones (Staff-Assistant- Surgeon) and servant (those intellect has been affected through wounds received during the late campaign, leaves for England in charge of his keeper)
and Dr Stiles (in medical charge) also proceed to England in this vessel.Southern Cross 9 May 1866 pg3
The Mary Shepherd takes 250 tons kauri gum, 47 bales Auckland flax, wool and other cargo.

Daily Southern Cross, 9 June 1866, Page 6
Departures: The London vessel was the chartered troop transport-ship Mary Shepherd, Captain Croot, which left Auckland on the 8th inst., for Plymouth, with the left wing of H M. 40th Regiment on board, numbering, in all, 444.- The following is the total strength of those embarked for England in this vessel: 338 men, 18 officers, 10 invalids, 27 women, 37 children. Lieut.-Colonel Blyth proceeded in command, and Assistant-Surgeon Stiles in medical charge. Major Paul (major of brigade) also left in this vessel for England, after long, arduous, and important services in connection with the army in this colony. Staff-Surgeon Jones, whose intellect has been affected through wounds received during the late campaign, also, left in charge of his keeper. The Rev. J. A. Bayley (army chaplain), wife, and family, were likewise passengers on board.

The Southern Cross May 9 1866
A man named James Guare, lately discharged from the 40th Regiment, was taken into custody on Saturday; on the charge of forging the name of the paymaster of the 40th Regiment to a cheque for 10. The cheque had been given in payment of goods to a merchant in Queen street, who took measures quickly to test its character, and was just in time to have Guare apprehended as he was leaving town.

Daily Southern Cross, 9 June 1866, Page 6
Two other arrivals, have been the chartered troop transport ships Holmsdale and Trevelyan, the former from Melbourne and the latter from Adelaide. Both vessels come in ballast, having been taken up by the Transport Officer at this port for the removal of troops to England during the ensuing month. The Holmsdale will convey the head-quarters of her Majesty's 40th Regiment without delay, and the Trevelyan will follow with detachments of Royal Engineers, Military Train &c.

Southern Cross 16 June 1866
The ship Trevelyan, chartered for transport of men of the Royal Engineers and others is being fitted up, and will be ready for sea about the end of next week.

Southern Cross 16 June 1866
The headquarters of H.M. 40th Regiment, in command of Lieutenant-Colonel Nelson, embarked on board the chartered transport-ship Holmsdale at noon yesterday, for conveyance to England. The left wing of the regiment, numbering in all 444, left Auckland some weeks ago in the ship Mary Shepherd. We have, therefore, seen the last of the gallant 40th, who have done good service to the colony during their location amongst us.

Southern Cross 16 June 1866

According to The Times, the 40th Regiment were brought home by the transports Mary Shephard, 905 tons (left Auckland 8 May 1866), and the Holmsdale, 1257 tons (left Auckland 17 Jun 1866). The Holmsdale, fitted up by Mr Duthie, shipwright.

The Times 2 Jul 1866, Monday p.6
Plymouth, Sunday
The transport Mary Sheppard, with part of the 40th Regiment, was expected to leave Auckland early in May. The C battery of the 4th Brigade of Royal Artillery, under command of Captain Peile, were massing at Auckland for the purpose of transport to England in three vessels, names unknown.

The Times 3 August 1866, Friday p.10
Yesterday at the dockyard, Portsmouth. The Depot of the 40th Regiment previously disembarked from the Montezuma to await the arrival of the regiment from New Zealand.

The Times 10 August 1866, Fri p.7
Plymouth, Thursday.- The hired transport Mary Shepherd, 905 tons, Captain Croot, belonging to Messrs. J. Lidgett and Sons, of Billiter-street, city, was off the port this morning, with troops from New Zealand, and has received orders to disembark them at Portsmouth. The troops consist of 358 men belonging to the 40th Regiment, under command of Lieutenant-Colonel F. S. Blyth. The other passengers are Mrs. Blyth, Captain A. F. Fitzsimons, Mrs. Fitzsimons, Major L. W. Fisher, Lieutenants. Lloyd, Dudgeon, Burton, Phillips, and Cartwright, Ensigns Gomez and Pretor, and Assistant-Surgeon Stiles, all of the 40th Regiment; Major J. Paul, 65th Regiment, late Brigade Major in New Zealand; Assistant-Surgeon M. J.Jones, Royal Artillery, invalided; Rev. J. Bayley, Staff military chaplain, and Mrs. Bayley. The Mary Shepherd's cargo consists of 200 tons of kauri gum, 47 bales New Zealand flax, 12 bales wool, 2 cases jewelry, 2 chests of curiosities, including some bones of the moa, and sundry merchandise. She left Auckland May 8, rounded Cape Horn June 12, and crossed the Line July 6. Strong head winds were experienced for 14 days after departure. No ice was seen, and very little snow; frost occurred only on four days; near the Horn moderate winds prevailed. The Mary Shepherd spoke
June 29, lat. 29 39 S., long. 27 30 W., the bark Silver Star;
July 6, lat. 19 28 N., long. 28 30 W., the steamer Lord Elphinstone, 24 days from Lisbon, for Bombay;
21st, lat. 30 14 N., long. 40 W., the ship Golden City, 78 days from Moreton Bay, for London;
24th, lat. 33 10 N., long. 40 W., the American bark J. W. Wood, from the Sandwich Islands for Bremen;
and the French ship Marie, from Buenos Ayres for Antwerp;
25th, lat. 35 13 N., long. 40 30 W., the Hamburg bark Massarene, from Rangoon for Llanelly;
27th, lat. 40 N., long. 38 30 W., the English ship Maiden Queen, 113 days from Shanghai for Liverpool;
and July 28, lat 41 N., long. 37 w., the ship City of Tanjore, 92(?) days from Bombay, for Havre.
When the Mary Shepherd left Auckland there was no ship in port, but the Holmsdale and Trevelyan were expected from Australia, to embark the remainder of the 40th Regiment and Captain Peile's Royal Artillery for conveyance to England.

The Times 11 August 1866, Sat p.12
The hired sailing transport Mary Shepherd, Capt. Croot, whose arrival in the Channel was announced in The Times of yesterday, anchored at Portsmouth yesterday and discharged at the dockyard the troops she has brought home from New Zealand, consisting of 358 men belonging to the 40th Regiment, under the command of Lieut.-Col. F. S. Blyth, with their complement of officers, and officers belonging to other regiments. The 40th marched, after disembarkation, into quarters in Portsmouth garrison. The Mary Shepherd was expected to sail again from Portsmouth last evening for the Thames to deliver her New Zealand cargo.

Southern Cross 15 June 1866 pg3The Times 7 September 1866, Fri p.10
The hired transport Holmsdale, 1,257 tons, Capt. W. J. Ferris, belonging to Messrs. Shaw, Lowther, and Maxton, from Auckland, New Zealand, arrived in the Sound this morning. She brings the head-quarters of the H.M. 40th Regiment and 16 officers- viz.,
Lieut.-Col. T. L. K. Nelson,
Capt. and Brigade-Major G. O. Bowdler,
Capts. N. Armstrong and J. S. Mansergh [R. Armstrong]
Lieuts. A. M. C. Moller, M. Morphy, E. Stack, and C. F. Hulme
Ensigns F. H. King and J. D. Gregson [Quartermaster F.H. King]
Adjt. J. T. Whelan [Wheelan]
Paymaster H. C. Ryder
and Surgeon G. W. Peake, wife, and two children
Chaplain L. Parsly
and Deputy Purveyor Adamson.
Mr. Pring, purveyor, died on the passage.
Mrs. Hassard, widow of Col. Hassard, who was shot in the New Zealand war, is also a passenger. The total of the troops is 16 officers, three ladies, 29 children, 229 non-commissioned officers and men, 31women, 60 children, and two officers' servants. The Holmsdale sailed June 17th, rounded Cape Horn on the 30th, and crossed the line on the 47th day out. Off the Cape several large icebergs were observed. This ship left England seven months and 15 days since; she went to Melbourne, thence to Auckland, and back to Plymouth.

The Southern Cross 29 June 1866. Monthly Summary of Shipping
The Holmsdale, 1257 tons, ship, took 150 tons Kauri gum, 70 tons saddlery, and about 100 tons Commissariat cargo, besides original cargo from Melbourne for London and 431 passengers. Departed 17th June.
    The recall of the H.M. forces in New Zealand brings the emigration total to 723 souls and immigration of the month to 140.

The Times 10 September 1866, Monday p.7
The hired sailing transport Holmsdale, 1,257 tons, Commander W. J. Ferris, arrived at Spithead on Saturday from New Zealand, last from Plymouth Sound, with the head-quarters of the 40th Regiment on board, under the command of Lieut.-Col. L. L. K. Nelson. The troops will disembark this morning at the dockyard and join the left wing of the regiment in quarters in Portsmouth garrison.

Otago Witness Saturday 6 1866 pg4
Fatal, boat accident, four men of the 70th drowned.
H.M.S. Eclipse, Captain Freemantle, returned to Auckland yesterday, with the remainder of H.M. 70th regiment, from Napier, and reports the occurrence of an accident during embarkation of the men, which resulted in the death by drowning of two segeants, a corporal and a private of the 70th regiment. A boat left for the vessel and was too deeply laden and several heavy breakers struck the boat and she sank. Drowned
Color-Sergeant Fahey, 17 years service in the regiment.
Sergeant Eastwood
Corporal Kelly
Private Warrington
At Auckland 154 rank and file proceeded to their quarters at Otahuhu where they will remain until embarking for England on the ships Siam and Ida Ziegler. The following officers accompanied the men: Captains Cay and Roger, Lieuts. Grierson, Whitburn and Howard, Ensign Lennard.

Otago Witness Saturday 20 Jan. 1866
Departure of the 70th Regiment and this regiment's service.
The 70th Regiment was the first regiment sent from India to the relief of the NZ colonists. It embarked for NZ on the 22nd Feb. 1861, and landed in Auckland on the 13th May, under command of Colonels Galloway and Chute. On their arrival the 70th were sent to make the military road to the Waikato until 4 June 1862. On 3rd Nov. 1861, 100 rank and file, under command of Major Ryan, proceeded to Otago. Remained in Otago until June 1863. Rejoined the headquarters at Taranaki. Were at the action at Katikari on 10 June 1863 under General Sir Duncan A. Cameron, K.C.B.....

Otago Witness Saturday Jan. 6 1866 pg13 - Southern Cross 18th ult..
Lieut. Lawson and Ensign Jenkins, both of the 18th Royal Irish, drowned while bathing on the beach on the right bank of the Patea River. Captain Shaw was in the water at the time and was saved with great difficulty.

The 65th Regiment "Royal Tigers" Embarkation

Southern Cross Monday 9th October 1865

Cleared Outward
Oct. 7 - Rob Roy, ship, 813 tons, Sanster, from London. Passengers - Captain Bulkeley (officer commanding) Captains Turner and Lewis, Lieutenants Wrixon, Murray, Croft, Spiller, Thomson, Ensigns Holroyd, De la Poer, Fife (Fyfe), Quartermaster Purcel (Purcell) and 5 children; 3 captains 9 subalterns, 200 rank and file (including noncommissioned officers), 13 woman and 23 children. Total 254.

Departure of the Sixty-Fifth for England
On Saturday the greater part of the 65th Regiment "Royal Tigers" embarked in the 'Rob Roy' for England, after nineteen years' service in New Zealand. Since the war in the Waikato ceased the 65th has been stationed in the various redoubts on that river and the Waipa. When all the men entitled to their discharge had claimed and obtained it, there were left about 400 rank and file, for who shipping had to be provided, and it was arranged six companies should proceed in the 'Rob Roy,' the reminder in the 'John Temperley.' Previous to the acceptance of the tenders of these vessels they were carefully surveyed by Captain Spain, R.N., Resident Transport Officer. Companies 2,4,6,7,8,and 9 were paraded at the camp at Otahuhu, and the men, having delivered up all their ammunition, marched for Auckland to embark. These companies were under the command of Captain Whitbread, of No. 8 Company.

On arrival at the new Episcopal church, in Upper Symonds-street, the band of the 14th Regiment was found waiting, who took up a position after the pioneers, and played "The Discharged Soldier." The arrangements in the barrack square were under the control of Major Paul, Brigade Major. From the appearance of the men it was clear that not many of those who came to New Zealand nineteen years ago were going home, and an old 65th man remarked that, amongst the 200 men there drawn up, he could only recognise thirteen or fourteen who had left Gravesend with the main body of the regiment in May, 1846. After each man had got his knapsack the march was resumed to the Queen-street Wharf, followed by a large crowd. A pleasant voyage was heartily called out by many.

The Embarkation
The men left the wharf in cargo-boats engaged for the occasion, and as each cutter left with its living freight, the band of the 14th Regiment (stationed on the remote end of the outer T) played an inspiriting air, followed by "There's no place like home." The men were in the highest spirits, and waved last adieu. On board the men were served out with hammocks and bedding. The married portion of the men who only numbered thirteen, were quartered in the forward end of the vessel. Captain Burgress piloting her out of the harbour.

Southern Cross Monday 26th October 1865

Departed - John Temperley, ship, 975 tons, Liddle, for London, with general cargo and passengers. 12 iron tanks, 30 cases bottled beer, 17 boxes tobacco, Gold 17 boxes, 1 bag (68,000 Bank of New Zealand. 1 bale wool, 716 pkgs gum, 200 cases gum, 125 pkgs gum, 217 pkgs gum, 190 pkgs gum, 267 of the 65th Regiment, 25 invalids and about 20 private passengers.


Colonel Wyatt, C.B., officer commanding 65th Regiment
Brevet-Major Turner
Major McGregor
Captains Blewitt and Warren
Lieutanants Toker, Pennefather, and Chevalier
Ensigns Toulmin, Bax and Acheson
Mrs Acheson and family
Paymaster Simpson
Dr Neil (In medical charge)
7 staff-seregeants
1 schoolmaster
14 sergeants
5 drummers
150 rank and file
18 women
29 children
Acting-Commissary-General Clarke and family
Lieutanant Warburton, R.E.
Edward Pardoe
D. Buchannan
Mrs and Miss Bennett


James Simpson
Henry Sims
Amelia, Clara, Alice and Amelia Smith
David and Rebecca Asher
W.H. Wallace
Patrick Halloran
W. Herrall
Harriet and Harriet Cockayne
Thomas, John, Annie and Clara Cockayne
Mary Ann Davis
Elizabeth, Mary and Lucy Davis
William How
John Blyth (a discharged seaman)

Herald, 26 March 1866.
January 1st, on board the ship "John Temperley" of Typhoid Fever, contracted in New Zealand, Captain Arthur Brantnwayt Toker, unattached, late 65th Regiment, son of Phillip Champion Toker, of Doctors Commans.

Southern Cross Saturday 3 January 1866 pg4

The headquarters division of the 70th Regiment embarked on board the ship 'Ida Zeigler,' 868 tons, Reynolds, yesterday for transport to England. Companies A, B, D, E, and G, which compose this division, marched in from Otahubu, yesterday, arriving in Auckland shortly after noon., and after passing through the barracks proceeded to the wharf. Colonel Gamble, C.B., Deputy-Quartermaster-General, acted as embarking officer. Colonel Mould, R.E. was also present. The men were taken to the vessel in Captain Casey's boats. 307 rank and file embarked, including invalids; and 40 women and children. There were a large number of people on the wharf to witness the embarkation. The remaining companies of the 70th are to be conveyed in the 'Siam' and will march in from Otahuhu in a few days. The 'Ida Zeigler' will probably take her departure on Thursday.

The following names of the offices proceeding to England in the 'Ida Zeigler' -
Colonel T.E. Mulock, C.B.
Captain H.J. Hill
Captain H. Leake
Lieutenant and Adjutant W.S.F. Fenneran
Lieutenant C.R. Tylden
Lieutenant R.S. Green
Lieutenant H.F. Greatwood
Ensign L. Hornby
Paymaster Thomson
Quartermaster Nevell
Major Strange, of the 14th Regiment
Major Turner of the 65th

Southern Cross Saturday 6 January 1866 pg4

The chartered troop transport ship Siam, Captain Ashby, embarked the balance of H.M. 70th Regiment, under orders or England, yesterday afternoon, and will take her departure from these waters this afternoon or early tomorrow morning. She clears at the Customs this morning, with 100 tons kauri gum, 500 bales wool, 100 tons Commissariat goods and the following passengers:
Brevet - Major Greaves (in command)
Captains Tighe and Roger
Lieutenants Huskisson, Collins, Cuppage and Howard
Ensigns Leonard and Travers
Assistant-Surgeon Hesson
11 sergeants
15 women
21 children
The Siam will be finally inspected this morning at 11 o'clock by Captain Spain, R.N., Resident Transport Officer at this port, after which she will drop down the harbour, ready to take her departure. Nearly 500 souls on board.

Southern Cross Thursday 28th June 1866 pg3

The C Battery, 4th Brigade Royal Artillery, and the 6th Company of the Royal Engineers, embarked on board the chartered troop-ship 'Trevelyan' yesterday, for transport to England. The 'Trevelyan' , Captain E. Gooch, 1041 tons, takes home a large cargo of kauri gum and besides Armstrong guns, carriages and Artillery equipment and other merchandise, in addition to guns, commissariat stores, &c. and will drop down the harbour this afternoon, ready to take her departure from the heads. Some 16 years have elapsed sine this department of the British forces was first represented in new Zealand.
The following is the total strength of those embarked: making a total of 386
C Battery, 4th Brigade, Royal Artillery
2 captains
1 surgeon
1 veterinary surgeon
2 subalterns
154 rank and file
15 women
25 children
and 2 servants
total 202

Royal Engineers, 6th Company
2 subalterns
93 non-commissioned officers, rank and file
15 women
18 children

2 rank and file - Royal Artillery
1 women
1 child

1 private -14th
1 private -18th
6 privates -57th Regiment

7 privates -50th
1 women
2 children

5 privates - Army Hospital Corps - 164
1 women

The following officers accompanied the men:-
Captain T. Betty
Captain J.H. Pells (Pelle)
Lieutenant F. Campbell
Lieutenant G.T. Carr
the Rev. P. Beaton, Chaplain to the Forces (Presbyterian)
Staff-Surgeon G.B. F. Arden
Veterinary Surgeon J. Anderson

Other passengers:
Mr Outhwaite, jun
Miss Pilkington

A summary of the Maori Wars can be found on page two.

The Times - 30 Jan. 1867
The hired sailing transport Norwood, 785 tons, Commander Frank Bristow, belonging to Messrs J.H. Luscombe and Co., of London, arrived at Spithead yesterday afternoon from Auckland, New Zealand, after a splendid run of 70 days. She brought back the I Battery of the Royal Artillery, with a number of time-expired and invalided soldiers, accompanied by the following officers: -
Major Boetock, R.A. (and wife), in command
Capt. Marshall, R.A., wife, and child
Lieut. Marshall, R.A.
Lieut. Robson, R.A. and wife
Lieut. Costobadie
Mr De Burgh Adams, purveyor's department, wife, and children
Mr Diaper, deputy-assist-commissary-gen., wife and two children
Dr Aplis, in medical charge
Mr Blake, veterinary surgeon, R.A.

29 May 1868 - Wellington - Captain DAVIS died after falling into the water.

Daily Southern Cross, 28 May 1868, Page 3
From the Wellington Gazette and the Military Chronicle 12th.
The following is a list of officers killed during the New Zealand War:
Colonel Austin, 14th Regiment ;
Colonel Booth, 43rd ;
Lieut.-Colonel Hassard, 57 th;
D.A.A.G. Johnson, 40th;
Staff Assistant-Surgeon Hope
Captains Phelps, 14th ; Ring, 18th ; R. C. Glover, 43rd ; Moir, 43rd ; Hamilton. 43rd ; Utterton, 43rd ; T. G.E. Glover, 43rd; Close, 43rd; Lloyd, 57th ; Strange, 65th ; Swift, 65th ; Mercer, RA.
Lieutenants Murphy, 12th ; Brooke, 40th ; Jackson, 40th; Langlands, 43rd; Tragett, 57th; Bally, 70th ; McNaughten, RA.
Ensigns Waring, 60th ; Duncan, 57th ; Chator, 65th ; Ducrow, 40th.
The health of the army must always be of importance, and, however insignificant a matter may seem, it cannot really be so if it effects in any degree the well-being of the soldier.

Officers have ladies;  Non-commissioned officers have wives; men have women!

Royal Regiments in NZ
58th    65th    Troopships  research