The ship 'Crusader' to Lyttelton, N.Z.

NZ Bound   Index   Search   Hints    Lists   Ports

The Crusader to Lyttelton

Lyttelton - wood engraving page 150, Handbook book 1875.

The clipper ship Crusader made 28 voyages to New Zealand (1871-1897), including thirteen to Lyttelton and averaged 91 days.  This iron ship was built 1865 by Connell, of Glasgow and launched in March 1865. Her registered measurements being: net tonnage 1058; gross 1058; length 210ft; breadth 35.1ft; depth 21.4ft. When she first traded to New Zealand she was owned by the Albion Line, and was painted black, with a yellow streak; and when the company amalgamated in 1883 with the Shaw Savill company, she had painted port holes. The vessel's designation in the flags of the international code H.C.L.B.

Departed     Arrived   Days Captain 		Comments
17/12/1870  13/03/1871 86 Kerr  		cabin passengers
22/12/1871  31/03/1872 99 Sutherland  		unable to find arrival in The Star
11/10/1872  05/01/1873 81 Sutherland  		list (offsite) McCully
03/11/1873  01/02/1874 90 Sutherland  		list (offsite)
26/09/1874  31/12/1874 96 Renaut 		list (offsite) 
31/10/1875  08/02/1876 99 Renaut  		below
18/10/1876  13/01/1877 87 Llewellyn Davies	no list in The Star
21/07/1877  21/10/1877 83 Llewellyn Davies  	no list in The Star
12/07/1878  11/10/1878 91 L Davies 		list
24/06/1879  24/09/1879 92 L. Davies 		Saloon passengers 
04/07/1880  07/10/1880 95 Llewellyn Davies	list
15/12/1882  23/03/1883 98 Llewellyn Davies 	list 
11/05/1889  16/08/1889 97 Perriam 		unable to find arrival in The Star

The Star, Monday, March 13 1871
Lyttelton Arrived
March 13 - Crusader, ship, Kerr, from London - off the heads. The s.s. Mullogh was engaged to tow her in. This fine clipper vessel, commanded by Captain Kerr, formerly of the ship Chariot of Fame, arrived and anchored yesterday afternoon off Rhodes' Bay, after a splendid passage of 82 days. She has powder on board, and therefore could not come up to an anchorage off the town. Messrs Cameron Bros. s.s. Mullogh was chartered to take down the health officers, and left the wharf at 3.30 pm. The ship was found to be free from sickness and was passed. The Crusader is a fine vessel, similar to the Zealandia, being a sister ship. She left the docks on the 17th December and the Downs on the 21st. Landed the pilot; and left Start Point on the 22nd; crossed the Equator on January 11; passed the meridian of the Cape on Feb. 4; sighted the Snares on March 8, and Dunedin on the 10th. In the passenger list we notice the names of several old colonists, amongst whom is Mr Hay of Pigeon Bay, who has brought out some valuable stock for himself and for Mr Boag, but we regret to state that during the voyage he lost a valuable Durham cow, and also some fine Leicester ewes.

The Star Tuesday March 14 1871
Arrived March 13 Crusader, ship, 1058 tons, Kerr, from London.

Passengers - 
Bell 		Mr and Mrs C.L. Bell
Beckett 	Mrs C.L.
Cattlin 	Mr A
Gardiner 	Mr F
Ruddiford	Miss
Willis 		Miss
Willis  	Mr W.J. and two children

Second Cabin: 
Campbell 	Mr
Campbell 	Miss
Harrison 	Miss M
Hay 		Messrs T and R
Homey 		Mr
Jones 		Mr and Mrs
Leader 		Mr L
Marshall 	Mr and Miss
Mathews 	Miss
Price 		Miss L
Scanlan 	Mr
Tribe 		Mr J.B. 

Press, Volume XXI, Issue 2318, 6 January 1873, Page 2

This fine iron clipper built ship, commanded by Captain Sutherland, arrived in harbor yesterday morning, at eight o'clock and anchored off Camp Bay. Owing to the ebb tide and strong S.W. breeze she was unable to come up to her anchorage. At 2.30 p.m. the s.s. Mullough, with the Health Officer and Immigration Commissioners with a party, left the wharf and steamed down to the vessel. On arriving near the ship the officers left the' steamer and proceeded on board, when, after about an hour, she was declared to be free. We may here state that, by orders, no persons are allowed on board until the vessel is duly inspected by the commissioners. On going on board everything was found to be in splendid order. We have already commented upon the carrying capabilities of this fine vessel for emigrants, and we can only say that we found the 'tween decks throughout beautifully clean. The single girls' compartment was especially worthy of commendation. The emigrants sent out under the charge of Miss S. Herne, the matron, are certainly some of the best we nave seen for a considerable time, and the girls receive excellent characters from the matron. We noticed that a large bath room was fitted up for the convenience of the emigrants, and was largely availed of during the passage. The mid 'tween decks were set apart for the married persons, and the space awarded was ample. In this part of the ship was the hospital, which, we are glad to say, was not required except for a few cases of diarrhoea. The fore part (steerage) was also very clean, and, taken as a whole, we have to congratulate the captain and his officers on the excellent condition of the vessel on its arrival in harbor.

The following is Captain Sutherland's report:
Left the docks at 6 p.m. on the 11th October, cleared at Gravesend on the 12th, and proceeded down the river on the following morning; had westerly winds down the Channel; landed the pilot at Torbay, at 4 p.m. on the 16th; on the following morning the wind veered round to the eastward, and continued favorable up to the 24th; from that to the 30th had light variable winds; the North-east trades were got in 21deg north, and continued very light throughout; passed east of Cape de Verde Islands on the 7th November. Spoke the Dutch ship Lammergeir from Hamburgh for Morton Bay, thirty days out, lat. 6deg 35min N, long. 22deg 40min west. Crossed the equator on the 11th November in 28deg west (twenty-six days from pilot leaving). Had very favorable south-east trades; the meridian of the Cape on the 2nd December in 46deg south, forty-seven days out. Sighted the Crozet Isles on the 8th to the great delight of the passengers, as this was the first land we had seen since leaving the Channel. The easting was run down in 48deg, and we had light but favorable winds and fine weather until we reached the Snares which were sighted at noon on the 29th, seventy-four days from pilot leaving. Thence had light easterly winds and calms, with thick fogs up the coast. Rounded the Solanders at 3 a.m. on the 4th January, got pilot on board at 7 a.m., and anchored at eight o'clock, making the passage from pilot to anchorage in eighty-one days.

The following testimonial was presented to Captain Sutherland :
We the undersigned saloon passengers by the ship Crusader have great pleasure in expressing our sense of the uniform kindness and courtesy you have shown during our voyage which has now been brought so happily to a close. Favored by wind and weather, we have under God's blessing made a singularly rapid and successful voyage, and it has reflected the highest credit upon your ability as a commander. In wishing you farewell we trust you may ever meet with a well-merited success in your profession, and be long spared to enjoy the esteem and confidence of those with whom you may be brought in contact under similar circumstances. We beg to remain, dear sir, yours very truly, Caroline Todhunter, Annie Todhunter, Annie Hutchinson, Rosa Maling, Thomas James Maling, J. R. Webb. Richard F. Webb, J. J. Williams, Edward Williams, H. C. Fowler, William Selanders, W. Theodore Thane, Albert Alington, Arthur E. Brown, F. S. O'Grady.

Timaru Herald 1873
Port of Timaru. Arrived January 11 1873- Beautiful Star, s.s, 126 tons, Hart, from Lyttelton. Passengers - Mrs Wade and child, Mrs H. Guilbert, and 20 immigrants ex Crusader, a good number of whom were Germans.

Feb. 1874.

Lyttelton Times 2 February 1874 Page 2 CRUSADER, FROM LONDON.
This fine iron clipper-built ship, commanded by Captain J. Sutherland, and which has been for some days past expected, was signalled yesterday morning shortly after seven o’clock, the wind at the time blowing N.E. The ship by this time was coming in free to the harbour, ran up to an anchorage off Rhodes Bay and anchored before the pilot boat could catch her. Amongst the latter is an old acquaintance, Mr Thompson, formerly captain of the Glenmark and Derwentwater, who, after eight years retirement from the sea, has again returned to it, and is chief officer of the ship. The ship brings out a large number of sheep, part on account of Mr Boag, and others for Hon W. Robinson. The ship has no emigrants, but has a full complent of cabin and steerage passengers. The ship has a large and is consigned to Messrs Miles and the doctor reports as follows: This ship Gravesend on Sunday morning, Nov. 3. Its condition throughout the voyage been perfectly healthy. Measles appeared the 10th November, attacking an infant belonging to Mrs Oatway, a second-class passenger; another child was subsequently attacked, the disease in both cases going the full course without unfavourable symptoms, no cases appeared in the after-hatch, but all cases of a healthy type, the use of disinfectants of course was enjoined. The ship present date is free from all disease; since the 20th November, no case of measles has appeared on board the ship. 

Lyttelton Times 2 February 1874 Page 2
[Lyttelton Times 22 December 1873 Page 3 ]
Lyttelton, arrived. Feb. 1. Crusader, ship, 1058 tons, Sutherland, from London. Passengers: Cabin —Mr Lahman, Mr James R. and Mrs Lysaght and family (9), Miss Mary A. Gray [Grey], Messrs F. Lukes, Dr. Samuel Day Goss, G. Clark, H.S. Taylor, George A. Taylor, Herbert  J. Glynn [H.J. Glyn] , H. W. Moore, Walter M. Moore, Francis B. Moore. Fore Cabin: Mr and Mrs Oatway and two children, Miss J. E. Watts, Mrs Wisby, Mr J. Fleming, Mr S. Jackson, Mr W. Cadle, Miss J. Price, Miss Lewis, Miss H. Horner, Miss F. Clarkson, Miss Wood, Miss Horner, Miss Boag, Messrs Westaway, Parratt, Cureton, W. Pratt, B. Price, S. Taylor, G. S. Mathews, D. M’Kenzie, B. A. Lewis.  [four in second cabin and seventeen in steerage]

The Lysaght Family
Mary Grace Caroline Lysaght 1850?-1936, artist. Painted a beautiful watercolour of Mount Four Peaks from Albury [188-] Eldest child of James Richard and Frances Charlotte (nee Gardiner) Lysaght (1828-15 Sept. 1907 Mokoia). Born at Adbury, Hants. Left England with parents and nine brothers and sisters 1873, on the "Crusader", arriving Lyttelton, 1874. Father bought 500 acres of farm land and leased another 2000 acres at Mokaia, near Hawera, South Taranaki, in 1875, and farmed it till death in 1900. Francis was buried at the Hawera cemetery. As a memorial to her husband James, who had died in 1899, Frances had St James' Anglican Church at Mokoia built in 1905. This church was demolished in 1992, and much of the material and stained glass windows, are now incorporated in the extension of St Mary's Anglican Church, Hawera, creating a large foyer and offices. Annie Caroline Lysaght of Hawera made a camping trip to Mount Cook in 1877. Annie later married Thomas Henry Wigley. Annie's sister Sophia Augusta Lysaght married Francis Edward Moore in 1884. Sophia died 26th March 1945. She was also an artist.

31st Dec. 1874

1874 Crusader, 1058 tons, Captain: Renaut. Arrived at Port Lyttelton on December 31st 1874.
Surgeon Superintendent: Dr John Guthrie. Passenger list off site.

Press 1 January 1875 Page 2
Dec. 31 - Crusader, ship, 1058 tons, C. H. Renaut, from London. Agents, Matheson's Agency. Passengers—Cabin: Mr and Mrs Aitken and family. Miss Guthrie, Mr J. Sparks, Mr C. Trull, John Hardman, Mr H. Shaw. Dr Guthrie. Miss Havill. Mr and Mrs John Strike and family (2). Mrs C. Fletcher, Miss. S. Green, Mr Kennedy, and 350 immigrants.

Dr Guthrie found it, necessary to appoint two nurses, Sirs Cleaver and Mrs Lindon. The captain held service once or twice every Sunday, in fine weather, on the poop and main deck, and married one couple on board with the full consent of the parents. The day before making the land two oil paintings were drawn for. They were representations of the Crusader, and were painted on board. They were for. the benefit of the Belvedere Institution for worn and disabled seamen, and tickets were disposed of to nearly all on board. The ship was very clean and in good order throughout. In the single girls' compartment there were 38 souls, equal to 36 statute adults.- this division was well fitted, and provided with washhouses and baths. The girls were under the charge of a matron, named Mrs Bates, who was assisted by Mrs Saunders; they seem to have been generally liked by the girls.

The greater part of the immigrants are from the National Agricultural Union, of which Mr George Allinaton, one of the immigrants, is a representative. He states that he has been a member of the executive of this society from its first commencement, and was also a delegate for two years, and has visited, on its behalf, 22 counties. He formed the first district of the society in Dorset and the last in the Isle of Wight. Nearly all these people are agricultural labourers and small farmers, capable of taking charge o f a small farm, and seem many of them to be comfortably off. They come from Warwick. Oxford, and Northamptonshire.

Mr Allington tells us Mr Andrew Duncan offered him a cabin on condition that he procured 300 immigrants, and he had no difficulty in doing so. There are a few Scotch and. Irish on board, some tradesmen, and some Cornish miners— 57 married couples occupying this division. The schoolmaster, Mr Rentoul, seems to have been efficient; he had about 60 under his charge the complains, however, that the attendance was very irregular. The constables were Messrs Allington (2) and Mr Woodfield. In the single men's compartment there were 79 souls, many of them very young , and the children of those in the married compartment, and here also agriculturists have all the sway: fourteen were Scotch and Irish, and the rest Knglish. The place was scrupulously clean. Messrs W. Symes, S. Jamieson, and A. Allan, were the constables. Seven infants died, and there were twenty cases of scarlet fever, the first case breaking out on September 26th, and ending October 10th; and the last on November 30th, and ending December 12th.

John Guthrie, M.B. and CM. The following is Dr Guthrie's (the Surgeon Superintendent) report :—" The Crusader left Plymouth on September 25th, 1874, with light contrary winds and fine weather. During the first night at sea a birth took place. On September 20th scarlet fever was recognised, and isolated, in the case of one of the children. The necessary precautions were observed and disinfectants freely used, and the disease did not manifest itself again until October 10th, when one of the single men suffered.

White, Thomas 30 Warwickshire Platelayer
Sarah 29
John 7
Mary 5
Tom 3
Alice 1 mth
Male Child Born on board 25/12/1874  Job Crusader Guthrie WHITE, farmer, Mayfield

Auckland Star 2 January 1875 Page 3
This day. The Crusader brought sixteen saloon passengers and 389 immigrants. One birth and seven deaths occurred on the voyage. [Dr Guthrie and Mr Allen as his assistant.]

Star 31 December 1874 Page 2
Dec. 31— Crusader, ship, 1052 tons, Renaut, from London, with 307 immigrants. FROM LONDON. This vessel, commanded by Capt. Renault, late of the ship Celaeno, was signalled this morning, and came up to an anchorage at 9.30. The Health Officer and Commissioners left the wharf at 11 o'clock, to make the usual inspection and pass the ship. She is 95 days out, and all are well on board.

Globe 31 December 1874 Page 2
ARRIVAL OF THE SHIP CRUSADER, This vessel was signalled this morning about four o'clock, and anchored off Rhodes Bay at 8.45 a.m. The s.s. Gazelle, with the Health Officers on board, proceeded down to the ship immediately after the arrival of the 11 a.m. train from Christchurch. On enquiry it was found that the passage had occupied 97 days, and that during that time there had been seven deaths and seven births on board. The ship was then passed by the Health Officer. She brings a large number of saloon passengers, and 350 Government immigrants.

8th Reunion.

A jubilee reunion of passengers who arrived at Port Lyttelton by the ship Crusader on December 31st. 1874.
The following were present: John Henry Timms, Mrs. F. Fuller (Upper Hutt), R. B. Dalley, Mark W. Woodfield, Mrs Catherine Gibson (nee Connor). M. Woodfield, sen., C. Woodley (Palmerston North), Mrs M. O. Woodfield, C. H. Bitmead, J. L. Soal (Tinwald), E. M. Lester, P. H. Dalley (Oxford), J. Lindon (Rangiora), J. G. Woodfield, C. Allington (Balcairn), E. McDonald (Selwyn), Joseph Bull (Greendale), Albert Newman, Mrs Mary Newman (Sockburn), John Horton, George Blacker, R. Claydon (Selwyn), T. W. Bull (Darfield), Mrs Claydon (Dunsandel), John Singleton, D. Honeyboue (Waikari), E. J. Hammon, A. A. Knight, Mrs S. E. Ramsay (nee Allen), W. E. Ramsay, F. J. Prattley, M. Dalley, Mrs. F. A. Andrews, Mrs E. Prettyjohn, Charles Jolly, G. F. Prattley, Henry Hearn, Mrs Topsy Hearn, George Hancox (Temuka), Caleb Woodley, Mrs J. Singleton, R. S. Gibson, H. Parrett (Tai Tapu), H. T. Askew, H. Quartermain, Mrs. M. Quartermain (Doyleston).
    Captain C. M. Renaut, surveyor of ships, Lyttelton. and second son of Captain C. H. Renaut, who was in command of the Crusader in 1874 and Mrs Renaut were present by invitation and had seats of honour near the chairman.
    From the Absent. Apologies were received from Mr and Mrs H. E. Dalley (East Oxford), Mrs John White (Rangiora), F. C. Allington (Spreydon), Thomas Horton (New Plymouth), T. Inch (Oxford), L. Waterman (Oxford), M. Pantin? (Hororata), Henry Voyce, R. F. Watson, Mrs L. Hewson, Jessie P. Hancox, and Mr and Mrs Winskill.

Notably the leak which manifested itself after the gale in the Bay of Biscay. That leak had been more serious than most of the passengers imagined at the time. Both the steam and hand pumps had to he kept going, and, to add to their difficulties, the supply of leather on board ran short—leather without which the pumps could not function properly. A vessel was sighted, but apparently did not see the Crusader's signals; fortunately another sail was seen which picked up the Crusader's signals and the ship provided a supply of leather. The cause of the leak in the ship, he said, was due to a bolt that had rusted for a time the hole was stopped by seaweed getting into the bolt hole.

One inch an hour.

What Caused the Leak. Captain Renaut expressed his thanks for having been invited to the function, and also for the kind things said about his father. As to the leak, he said that he had heard of it in his earliest childhood, and in after years he heard it related by the late Dr. Guthrie. Some time previous to the second trip in 1874 the vessel had carried a cargo of copper ore and a piece of this was overlooked and lodged in the vicinity of the keel. The continual action or the ship and the salt water gradually wore a hole through the iron plate. In those days ships bad thicker plates, probably those of the Crusader were half-an-inch thick. As a result of the storm in the Bay of Biscay there was considerable strain and the hole developed. The rule was to set a course for the Brazilian coast and pick up the south-east trades to enable sailing ships to make the Southern Ocean. It was when the Crusader was off the Brazilian coast that his father had been asked to make the nearest port to effect repairs. No doubt his father would have listened to the prayer of the petition, but for the fact that there was another man on board concerned with the welfare of the passengers—Dr. Guthrie—who consulted with his father and over-ruled him. Dr. Guthrie had said that to put into one of the Brazilian ports rife with yellow fever would be the end of all things. The ship continued on its course, and an attempt to make the Cape of Good Hope failed. About this time the leak mysteriously took up, and though they might think it was "a fish story," the reason was that a fish got into the hole. Part of-the fish was found when the Crusader was docked at Port Chalmers, and a photograph was taken by Mr de Maus, ot this curious state of things. A copy of that photograph, he believed, was still in the possession, of his elder brother. The stoppage of the hole was only temporary, and the leak started again; no one was more thankful than his father when the vessel safely reached Lyttelton.
    Mr H. Perrett spoke on behalf of Captain Sutherland, who was in command of the Crusader on three voyages to New Zealand. He (Mr Perrett) came out on the trip when the Crusader arrived at Lyttelton on February 1st, 1874, and experienced a smooth passage until a fierce gale was encountered near Lyttelton Heads.

Star 20 March 1875 Page 2
The fine ship Crusader, now undergoing overhaul in the Graving Dock, was built in the year 1866 at the yards of Charles Connell and Co., of Over Newton, near Glasgow, and it may be affirmed, without fear of contradiction, that few, if any, vessels of her class, are so substantially constructed. Her frame is of the most solid character. The thickness of her plates are seven eighths inches, and they are riveted together in a very careful manner. The Crusader was sold five years since by Messrs John Lidgett and Son to her present owners, Shaw, Savill and Co. During her outward passage from London to Lyttelton the Crusader sprung a leak, and after the discharge of her cargo at Lyttelton it was found upon examination to be on the garboard plate on the port side, in which a small hole, measuring one inch and a half by seven eighths, had been produced, it is presumed, by the friction of the stone ballast. This defect Messrs Kincald and M'Queen are busy remedying by covering it with a new plate. This being completed, the Crusader will be equal to any vessel of her class in these waters. While in the dock she will be thoroughly scraped and painted, and her bottom coated with a composition of white zinc, paint, and tallow. Captain Renaut expresses his entire satisfaction with the Graving Dock and its appliances, which he describes as being most complete.— Otago Guardian, March 15.

Auckland Star 23 January 1875 Page 3 LYTTELTON.
This day. Discovery of a Curious Leak in the Crusader. .. Diver Connell has found a leak in the ship Crusader. The tap bolt at the bottom had fallen out and the hole had partly filled with seaweed.

Globe 28 December 1874 Page 2
27— Geraldine Paget, ship, 1200 tons, Ogilvie, from London. Passengers —Mr and Mrs Manton, Mr Little, and 389 immigrants. Of the 389 immigrants, 175 came from North Lincolnshire, being selected by Mr Andrew Duncan from the country between Grimsby and Caistor. 200 came down to go in her, but there was not room for them all, and the other twenty five will arrive in the Crusader. Mr Harry Tomlinson, the district secretary of the Amalgamated Laborers’ Union, was amongst the immigrants. About sixty of them will proceed in the Bruce for Akaroa and Timaru to-day.

George Barney b. Feb 1850 at Watlington, Oxfordshire married Emily Harman born 12 Aug. 1852 in Pyrton, Oxfordshir. They immigrated to New Zealand leaving Plymouth England 25 Sept. 1874 on the "Crusader" and arrived in Lyttelton , NZ on 31 Dec. 1874

The Christchurch Press Wednesday 16 April 1924
Obituary - Mrs T.O. HAY of Pigeon Bay, Banks Peninsula -
Word was received in Christchurch yesterday by cable of the death of Mrs T.O. Hay in Bournemouth on the 14th inst. Mrs Hay was the only daughter of the late Rev. Dr John GUTHRIE, of Glasgow. She arrived in New Zealand by the Crusader in 1874 accompanied by her brother Dr John Guthrie. Another brother Dr T.O. Guthrie followed a year or two later. In 1875 she married the late T.O. Hay, Annandale, was her home in Pigeon Bay for over 30 years. ----- lots more

LANE, William Phillip, formerly Chief Cook at the Levels Station, was born at Maidstone, Kent, England in 1870 and accompanied his parents to Lyttelton in the ship "Crusader" in 1874.  He was educated at Timaru, learned the business of a baker and pastry cook and worked at his trade till the maritime strike in 1890 when he was appointed chief cook at the Levels estate, and except for a year held the position continuously until the estate was sold to the Government in 1903. Mr. Lane resides on a nice little property in the Seadown district. He was married in July, 1896, to a daughter of Mr. S. Cain, of Seadown, and has one son and two daughters.  


The Puschel family came with their parents, John Carl Christian, and Hansine Nielsmine Hansen Puschel. These were Johanna, Augusta, Matilda Wilhelm and Emil arrived at Lyttelton on the ship Crusader Nov 25, 1874.

SUMMERFIELD, Henry b 1841, Baulden England. His parents were William and Mary (nee Jennings). He married Rebecca Richardson in 1865 in Maulden, England. He came to NZ in 1874 on the "Crusader" then remarried to the above Mary Anne Forbes.

WRIGHT:- From Essex, England, came to Kaiapoi/Oxford, Christchurch, NZ, 1874, on the Crusader. James and Ann (Hannah Ann) had James (12), Mary (8) and William (6) with them. James junior married Ann Grant (see below) and
eventually settled in Taranaki.

"From the Lyttelton Times,"
February 9, 1876

Arrived - February 8, Crusader, ship, 1084 tons, Reuaut, from London. after a passage of ninety-nine days. Left the Start three hours after the Otaki, and arrived here just three hours after that vessel.  It is very remarkable fact that two vessels, should after a voyage of 16,000 miles, arrive at the same time. Left Gravesend on October 31, 1875, with light southerly winds down the Channel. Landed the pilot off the Start Point on November 2, and took our departure from Bishop's Rock on November 3, with light westerly breeze. One birth occurred during the passage. The greater number of the saloon passengers will proceed to Wellington and Nelson by steamer. Passengers: [ ] from The Star Feb. 9th 1876

Able		 A.V.
Blakesley	 P.
Bunhanan	 P.V.
Forbes		 Miss J. 
Gurney		 J.
Hollows		 B.T.
McKenzie	 J.W.
More		 W.M and F.E.  [Moore]
Munroe		 Dr. and Mrs. Misses Munroe (4), Masters Munroe (3)
Olliver		 A.R., Miss Olliver C., Miss Olliver
Reily		 G.N.
[Edgar		Miss]
[Snowdon	Mr and Mrs]
[Thursby	Colonel]
Second Cabin:
Clephenson	 Miss
Murphy		 Miss
Roscoe		 Mrs, Misses Roscoe (2)
Tennant		 Dr. and Mrs and three children
Turner		 Mr and Mrs
Adams		 J.
Allerton	 Masters (3)
Anstey		 J. [Austey]
Ayr		 A.
Bradley		 H.
Collins		 G.G.
Harvie		 Mr and Mrs and five children
Heath		 W.M.
Holdsworth	 W.G. [W.H.]
Leggeth		 N.
[Pymn		G.]
Robinson	 H.
Singleton	 Mr and Mrs and infant
White		 J.
Wilson		 R.  

The Star Monday 15 January 1877 pg 2
The ship Crusader arrived from London on Saturday evening having made the passage from Gravesend in 87 days, and 80 days from Start Point to the Snares. A change in command of this ship has taken place this year, in consequence of Captain Renaut remaining at home to take charge of the latest addition to the fleet, the Hermione. The gentleman at present in command of the crusader is Captain Llewellyn Davies, who makes his first visit to our port, his previous New Zealand trip having been to Wellington last year in the Plediades. The Crusader brings 31 saloon, and 37 second cabin and steerage passengers, all have arrived in excellent health and spirits The tedium of the passage was enlivened by all sorts of fun and amusements, and a fancy bazaar was instituted, the proceeds being devoted to the Seaman's Orphan Asylum. The medical officer, Dr Wine, has fortunately not had a very onerous task to fulfill on the voyage, as good health prevailed all through.  One fine blood mare, rising three years old, has come out in splendid condition, to the order of Mr Thomas Hassal; the charge of her on the passage having been entrusted to Mr F. Clark, one of the passengers, who, by his attention and care, has succeeded in bringing her out looking as well as is possible. The Crusader was towed out of the East Indian Docks on Oct. 17, and anchored at Gravesend and towing as far as Dungeness and the tug cast off. Landed the pilot the next day.

The Star Friday October 11 1878 pg 2
Lyttelton - Arrived
Oct. 11- Orari, ship, 1015 tons, Mosey, from Wellington
Oct. 11 - Crusader, ship, 1048 tons, L. Davies, from London.

Passengers: Saloon - 
Addison 	Mrs
Brittain 	Mrs and infant
Brittain 	Master Gordon 
Cambridge 	Miss
Fox 		Mr J.H.
Fox 		Mrs F
Fox 		Miss E.M.
Fox 		Miss Catherine
Fox 		Miss Emily C.
Fox 		Miss Margaret C.
Fox 		Mr John
Fox 		Masters Walter, Phillip and Ernest
Izon 		Mr W.H.
Keene 		Mr A.A.
Lavers 		Mr and Mrs William
Lavers 		Masters Thomas and William
Lavers 		Misses Lillian and Elizabeth
McKay 		Dr and Mrs
Mitchell 	Miss
Norton 		Mrs
Pollock 	Mr A.E.
Wilkinson 	Miss

Second Cabin:
Colbourn 	Mr H.J.
Elliot 		Mr W
Smith 		Mr and Mrs George
Smith 		Miss Christina
Smith 		Miss Algra
Smith 		Masters William and Lionel

Clark 		Mr G.S.
Dixon 		Mr W.
Grove 		Mr J.
Gurney 		Mr and Mrs Cecil
Harley 		Mrs
Johnson 	Mr E
Jones 		Mr D
Laurie 		Mr W.B.
Lauyon 		Mr D
Paschell 	Mr and Mrs John
Paschell 	Misses Johanna, Augusta, Matilda and Emily
Paschell 	Mr W.J.
Piper 		Mr W
Smith 		Mr and Mrs William and infant
Smith 		Miss Jane
Smith 		Masters William and John
Trethway 	Mr J

This favourvite ship of Messrs Shaw, Saville and Co.'s fleet arrived from London this morning, after a good passage of 91 days from the Downs, or 82 days from land to land, the best passage for some time pass. Capt. L. Davies is still in command. The Crusader has 63 passengers - 29 of whom are saloon, 8 second, and 25 steerage - all whom have arrived in the very best of health. One death, that of an infant of Mr and Mrs W.N. Smith, occurred on July 30, death resulting from acute laryngitis. The Crusader as a very large cargo, and comes consigned to Messrs Edwards. Bennet and Co. Departed from London 11 July 1878

Lyttelton Times September 25, 1879

Sept 24 - Crusader, ship, 1058 tons, Davies, from London. Edwards, Bennett and Co. agents.
Passengers: Saloon -

Brough		William F.
Hanmers		Mrs. F.
Howse		Alice	
Irving		Dr. James	Jessie, Edith, Mary, Wm., John, Elizabeth, Charles, Henry, Phillip  
Pope		Walter H.
Miller		S.B.
Lee		Edward
Purchas		Charles W.	Elizabeth, Charles, Edward, Harold, Margaret, Duncan. Wm., Mary, Henry
Russell		Francis
Scarcliffe	Sarah
Stoddart	Mark P.		Annie, Frances, Margaret, James, Agnes, Mary, John
Tipping		Coburg		Annie E.
12 second cabin, and 163 steerage.  

The Star Thursday September 25th 1879 page 2 - tenth voyage
Messrs Shaw, Savill and Co.'s favourite ship the Crusader, Captain Llewellyn Davies, arrived from London, yesterday morning after a passage of 92 days from the Downs and 85 from the Channel, 83 days from Ushant to the Snares. This trip she brings 214 passengers, all told, of which 38 are saloon. One birth took place on August 4, when Mrs Rogers, a steerage passenger, was delivered of a son. Mr James Irving was the medical officer. Mr Richards still occupies the post of chief officer; while Mr Seabourne, who was third last voyage, has received a promotion, and now occupies the post of second; several others of the crew, steward, carpenter and boatswain, who have been in the vessel for some years, are still on board. Left East Indian Docks on June 21 and towed down to Greenhithe, where the compasses were adjusted, the emigration surveyor being onboard. Towed to Gravesend, where the remainder of the passengers embarked, and after being cleared by the medical officer, slipped from the bouys at 8 p.m. and towed as far as the Nore, bringing up at 11 p.m. Towed to the Downs next day and anchored at 5 30 p.m.. At 7 a.m. on Monday, June 23, weighed anchor and proceeded to work down the Channel under sail. Passed Beechy Head at noon next day, The Needles at noon June 25, and handed the pilot off the Start on June 26, at noon. Sighted the Lizard on June 27 and 28, Wolf Rock Light at 7.30 p.m. June 29, three miles north-west and Ushant Light that night. Sighted Cape Prior July 3....Sighted Akaroa Head at 5 p.m. on Sept. 22, and sailed around the Peninsula, but thick weather prevented anything being seen. Anchored at midnight in McIntosh Bay, in 16 fathoms of water. Got under weigh again next morning when the cable parted, and one side of the windlass smashed. Took the pilot aboard at 2 a.m. yesterday and was taken in tow by the p.s. Lyttelton at 7.30 a.m., arriving at the breakwater at 8.30 am.

Diary by Oliver Walton at the Alexander Turnbull Library, Wellington
Crew Agreement etc. London 24-6-1879 to Lyttelton - London 10 May 1880 - Mitchell Library, Sydney, Box. Y 4491

The Star Wednesday, February 1880, page 2
Crusader ship 1084 tons, Llewellyn Davies, for London, Dalgety &  Co. agents.
Passenger saloon - Mr and Mrs Charteris, Mr Pope
Second Cabin -  Miss Stark
Steerage - Mr & Mrs Dawber and child, Mr & Mrs W.R. Prouse, Misses Fluke, Faville, Gould, Mr P. Escott.

The Star Thursday October 7 1880
Lyttelton Arrived
Oct. 7 - Crusader, ship, Llewellyn Davies, from London. Edwards, Bennett and Co., agents.

Passengers - Saloon:
Chilton 	Dr
Norris 		Miss
Perry 		Charles C
Pillans 	W.S.
Pillans 	Mrs
Pillans 	W.S.
Welch 		W.P.
Welch 		Mrs Ann
Welch 		Francis J
Welch 		Charles

Second Cabin
Davies 		Benjamin
Ewart 		Samuel
Gould 		Annie
McKay 		A.M.
Pearse 		Walter
Scales 		Joseph
Scales 		Ann
Scales 		Mary
Scales 		Edward
Scales 		Ellen
Scales 		Alfred
Scales 		Annie 
Smith 		William Henry
Smith 		Amelia
Smith 		Ernest
Smith 		Herbert F
Smith 		Mary Ann
Steel 		Bessie
Topliss 	J.C.
Trewin 		Samuel
Watson 		Thomas W
Watson 		Jane
Watson 		Fanny
Watson 		Charles
Watson 		Robert J
Watson 		Frank
Watson 		Anthony
Watson 		Vernon
Watson 		Mabel
Watson 		Lizzie
Steerage -
Alexander 	Robert
Armstrong 	William
Bigmore 	J
Bigmore 	Elizabeth
Bigmore 	E
Cooke 		Thomas
Cooke 		Jane
Crakford 	John
Crawford 	John
Davis 		John
Davis 		Andrew
Ealham 		William
Farr 		Edward L
Ford 		A.
Gallagher 	Mary
Gallagher 	Eliza
Heymann 	Alfred
Hollo?ay	Kate
Ives 		W.C.H.B.
Ives 		Grace
Ives 		Charles 
Ives 		William
Ives 		Frederick 
Kave 		Hugh
McClure 	Eliza Jane
McClure 	Francis
McCullum 	Daniel
McCullum 	Robert
McDonald 	Catherine
McIntyre 	D
McPhee 		George
McPhee 		John
Newton 		R
Newton 		Mrs S
Nixon 		James
Pearce 		George W
Philpot 	Alice
Philpot 	George
Plummer 	Benjamin
Stem 		John P.
Talbot		J
Tracey 		Susan
W??xworth 	H.G.
Weatherbourn 	William
Weatherbourn 	Christina
Youngmam 	H.H.

Messrs Shaw, Saville and co., ship Crusader, Captain Llewellyn Davies, arrived from London this morning, with a large complement of passengers. The passage being a long one for the Crusader, very light winds being met with from the time the pilot left the ship off the Start to 36deg. South on August 26. One death occurred during the passage - that of Charles Edwin Ives, aged two years, from acute bronchitis. measles were very prevalent at the outset of the passage, no less than fourteen cases being under treatment by Dr Maurice Chilton, who ably filled the post of medical officer. A starling incident occurred on Oct. 5 at 6.30 p.m., when one of the steerage passengers J. Talbot, who had been under medical treatment for some time, and during a fit of temporary insanity made an attempt on his life by cutting his throat. He fortunately only divided the superficial vessel of the neck, though owing to his age and other circumstances his life is still in danger. The passengers have all been remarkably comfortable on board, and Captain Davies has as usual been exceedingly popular from his kind and courteous treatment of al on board. The Crusader left Gravesend on July 3, so has been 95 days on the passage.

Oct. 7 - Hieronymus, German barque, 425 tons, Ipland, from Dunedin.
Oct. 7 - Arawata, s.s., 623 tons, Sinclair, from Melbourne, via Hobart and South. Passengers - Miss Mercer and child, Miss Bathgate, Mrs Smith, Messrs Ford, Musgrave, Stavely, Beaver, Pattison, Damitessy

1883 - 14th Voyage
AUTON, Christopher. Born: 1852, Eavestone, Yorkshire, England. Son of William Auton and Hannah Ingleby. Married his second cousin Margaret Ann Auton. Emigrated to New Zealand in 1883 on the Ship "Crusader" and emigrated again to Queensland Australia around 1910. Occupation: Farmer. Children: Elizabeth Jane, Joseph William, Annie Louisa, Sarah, Christopher Albert, John Arthur. Resided at Lepper Rd, New Plymouth in New Zealand

Copy of Diary of Ann Sutherland at the Canterbury Museum, Christchurch, N.Z.
Passenger contract ticket George Poole and family, 22 Sept. 1874 at the Canterbury Museum Archives, Christchurch,

New Zealand Herald 26 May 1884 Page 15
THE CRUSADER. A ship was signalled during the greater portion of Monday last, and she proved to be the Crusader, from London. She is one of Messrs. Shaw, Savill and Albion's line, and comes consigned to Mr. A. Heather. Her trip from London has been a long and tedious one, she having left on the 6th of February last (103 days back). To assist Captain Scotland in the working of the vessel he has as chief Mr. Streeter, and Mr. Jackson as second officer.  Captain Scotland reports having left London on February 7. and Start Point, six days afterwards.
19 May —Crusader, ship, 1058, Scotland, from London, with general cargo and following passengers : Mr. and Mrs. Day and child, Mr. and Mrs. Brown and 3 children, Mr. and Mrs. Syers, Misses Bushby, Gilbert, and Oaksford, Messrs. F. D. Broughton and Thomas Bridges. Steerage : Mr. and Mrs. Radford and family (11), Mr. and Mrs. Lovegrove and family (10) Mr. and Mrs. Priestley, Miss Priestley, Mr. J. C. Murray.

Timaru Herald Saturday 25th July 1891
The Crusader,1038 tons, Perrian, is expected to get away for Callao to-morrow morning. 27th. She cleared Customs on Saturday and the winds suiting sails for Callao this morning. She was towed out. She had on board 850 tons of flour from Atlas, and 250 tons from the Belford mill, and 2075 sacks barley. This vessel has eclipsed all previous records in the loading of a ship at Timaru. She began last Monday morning to put out 300 tons of ballast and take in a full cargo of sacked stuff, and could have been a full ship on Friday night, but had to wait for the last lots till Saturday.

For those with ancestors on the Crusader, there is a bonus, a book.

"The Clipper Ship Crusader" by Mark W. Woodfield in conjunction with the Clipper Ship Crusader Association. 163p, H/B, Dj, 21 cm. [Christchurch, N.Z. : Turners Ltd. on behalf of the Clipper Ship Crusader Association, 1928]. Memories & Records of over fifty Years Pioneering, with Special Reference to Voyages 1874-1879. Profusely illustrated with 5 plates and 32 other illustrations. Mostly personal reminiscences, some of Irish interest. Passengers on the 5th voyage (September - December 1874, to Lyttelton) formed the Crusader Association and held a reunion in 1925. Includes a description of the voyage, complete list of passengers, reports on the voyage and arrival in Lyttelton. Biographies of John Henry Timms, Captain C.H. Renaut, Richard Bickerton Dalley, Mr and Mrs Joshua Singleton and their son, Joshua; Mrs T.O. Hay (nee Guthrie). Obituaries for Timms, Peter Honeybone, John Horton, Mark Woodfield, H. Voice, Mrs S. White, George Quartermain, Sarah Connor (nee Ewing), Henry Hearn, Mary Ann Hearn (nee Clay), Mr and Mrs J. Lilley, Robert Ewing. Also includes the surgeon's log, Dr J. Irving, from 1879 voyage to Lyttelton, and a brief report from 1872-3 voyage. The Surgeon's Log of Dr J. Irving

The Star Saturday 27 October 1900 Deaths
Irving - Oct. 26, 1900, at his residence, Victoria Square, suddenly, James Irving, M.D., aged sixty-four. [James IRVING was born at Gosforth, Cumberland, in 1836. He studied medicine at Edinburgh, and was ship's doctor when the Crusader came to Lyttelton in 1879. A book, The Clipper Ship Crusader, contains his diary. Broken up 1910. Dr Irving had his own private hospital The Limes, where the Christchurch Town Hall now stands. Inside the Town Hall there is a conference room called The Limes Room. James is buried at Barbadoes Cemetery, Christchurch]

Christchurch Library cemetery database
Date of death: Friday, 13 February 1903
Cemetery: Linwood Cemetery
Age: 69 years
Address: East Belt
Place of birth: England
Years in New Zealand: 27

Timms, John Henry
Date of death: Thursday, 6 June 1935
Cemetery: Bromley Cemetery
Age: 69 years
Address: 16 Matlock St, ChCh
Occupation: Labourer
Place of birth: England
Years in New Zealand: 60

Captain C.H. Renaut

Captain C.H. Renaut commanded the Crusader for two voyages1874 and 1876 previously commanded the Celaeno, from 1864 until 1873. Upon leaving the Crusader he took command of the Pleione, and sailed for Wellington, arriving there on 31st March, 1877, and was later appointed London manager to the Wellington Gear Meat Company, a position which was later filled by one of his sons, Mr F.W. Renaut, after his father's death, which occurred in 1915. Mr C.H. Renaut's father, Captain William Renaut, arrived in Dunedin as far back as 1848 in the ship Blundell.  This was the first ship to enter on the customs records at Port Chalmers, and was the first ship that came out in connection with the Otago Settlement scheme. Captain C.M. Renaut, another son of Captain C. H. Renaut, served for eleven years in various vessels belonging to the Shaw, Savill and other companies. In 1897 he entered service of the Union S.S. company. Later he was appointed Government surveyor of ships to the New Zealand Marine Department, and was acting in this position in Auckland for several years. He was them senior surveyor at Lyttelton prior to his departure in April 1923. Reference: White Wings,  Vol. 1 pg 36

The following "The Farthest Promised Land" by Professor Rollo Arnold of Victoria University, Wellington.

On 26 September Oxfordshire emigrants sailed from Plymouth in the Crusader, as members of a party led by George Allington, and several families from Ascott-under-Wychwood were among them. They included Frederick Pratley, a 31-year-old farm labourer, his wife Mary Ann aged 31, and their six children. This is almost certainly the Mary Pratley who was imprisoned with her ten-weeks-old child in May 1873. The child appears as Thomas, aged one, on the passenger list. Among the single women imprisoned was a Mary Smith, who also appears to have been in the Crusader's party, as the oldest of the family of eight travelling with Edwin Smith, 43-year-old farm labourer, and his wife Harriet. Mary was not at home the night of the 1871 census, but she is listed as an 18-year-old servant girl in the ship's passenger list. The secretary of the Ascott branch of the union, John Tymms, a 33-year-old farm labourer, accompanied by his wife and six children, also sailed with Allington. He had been a regular member of delegate meetings of the Oxford district.103 Two other small Ascott families were in the party, headed by younger farm labourers, Peter Honeybone, 30 and Eli Pratley, 28. Possibly all of these families had been represented at the meeting held in the Ascott Baptist chapel on Monday, 1 June 1874, to celebrate the first anniversary of the release of the imprisoned women. The National Union also sent further parties, including 200 by the Crusader in September, led by George Allington, a Warwickshire delegate of the union.

NZ 1990 80 cent stamp Heritage Ships Crusader

She was eventually sold to the Norwegians  for £2950 and broken up 1910