The bark 'Guy C. Goss'  (1879-1977) and the 1942 minesweeper "Hinua" beached.

NZ Bound   Index   Search   Hints    Lists   Ports

'Guy C. Goss'
shiplogo.gif (4613 bytes)

1879 - 1977
She was so well constructed that she outlived her contemporaries.

From "Ship Wrecks - New Zealand Disasters - 1795 to 1950", by Chas W N Ingram & P Owen Wheatley and Historic Places Trust, N.Z.

The Guy C Goss, No 85,602, was originally a wooden barque of 1,572 tons gross and 1,430 tons net register, built at Bath, Maine, U.S.A., in 1879 by Goss and Sawyer, and her dimensions were: length 213.9 ft., beam 39.8 ft., depth 24.4 ft. After a period in the timber trade she was actively engaged in salmon fishing in Alaskan waters for over 20 years. After remaining idle for some time she was bought by a Vancouver firm and was loaded with 1,250,000 feet of timber from Pacific Coast ports for Auckland.

A vessel with perhaps a more chequered career than any other about Auckland, the former American barque Guy C. Goss, was used as a shingle loading platform - barge at Wharekawa, in the Firth of Thames, met her fate on February 9, 1935, when she caught fire and was burned almost to the water's edge. The vessel caught fire in the after end at about 10 p.m., and she was soon a raging furnace.

She arrived at Auckland on March, 24, 1926, but after she had berthed a bailiff nailed on the mainmast a writ issued by the Registrar of the Supreme Court, claiming the ship, freight and cargo, in default of £1,500 owing for wages to the master and crew, and disbursements. Within a short time two other writs, issued on behalf of the consignees of the cargo and the Harbour Board, joined the first. Lengthy litigation in the Supreme Court followed, and the consignees were given delivery of the cargo, and the master and crew the ownership of the vessel. The cargo was unloaded by the crew, and the vessel was anchored off Orakei, where she was used for a short period by the Calliope Troop of Sea Scouts as a training ship. In July, 1926, she was sold at public auction for £380 to Messrs. Carr, Pountney and Company Ltd. After being partly dismantled she was towed to Wharekawa and run ashore on a very high tide in a bed prepared for her by the Wharekawa Shingle Company and used in connection with the company's shingle business and as a store ship, and residence for the shingle workers. The Guy C Goss was subsequently disposed of to the Wharekawa Shingle Company. All machinery necessary for hauling and crushing metal was installed on the ship. Metal was taken away on barges that came along side at high tide and loaded off the hulk. In the early 1950s the property was brought by the Parry Brothers who operated it on a large scale.

Captain Guy Goss was first a school teacher, then a shipmaster, and finally a shipbuilder. Guy C. Goss was a principal in the shipbuilding firm of Goss & Sawyer, the other being Elijah F. Sawyer. Goss, Sawyer & Packard Co. of Bath, Maine was one of the most successful American ship-building companies in the world during the late nineteenth century.

The Guy C. Goss was 1,572 tons
A sizeable wooden bark
A Down Easter
A Cape Horner
A Salmon Packer
An American barque
A Sea Scout training vessel
A shingle barge and crusher
A residence for the shingle worker
And finally a hulk
And now only a keel.

Location:  "Kaiaua" is a village situated in the Franklin District on the Firth of Thames between Orere Point and Miranda, and is about 40mins drive to Thames. Just north of the village of Kaiaua is the "Guy C. Goss" Boating Club. Map

Metric Easting 2714960
Metric Northing 6457450


Barque is a bark is a barque:

Two spellings for the same thing. The spelling barque was more British, where the spelling bark, is more North American. Bark: A sailing vessel having three or more masts, square-rigged on all but the aftermost mast, which is fore-and-aft-rigged. The painting is accurate. It is of a bark, and a large one at that. GUY C. GOSS was a sizeable bark of 1,572 tons. The photo on the University of Washington Library site shows the vessel (mistakenly called a ship) at a later date.

The wooden full-rigged ship Benjamin F. Packard, 2,156 tons, built by Goss, Sawyer & Packard at Bath, ME. in 1883, was purchased by Northwestern Fisheries, joining the Northwest salmon fleet and making yearly voyages north for the next 16 years. With the arrival of the steamship Eastern Gale purchased by the Northwestern Fisheries Company of Seattle the ships St. Paul and Benj. F. Packard and the bark Guy C. Goss were retired from the service of the packing company. The Packard was sold to the Hansen & Nieder Lumber Co. of Seattle and dispatched to the East Coast, where it was planned to use her as a coal barge. She was, however, taken over by Theodore Roosevelt Pell of New York, who hoped to keep her afloat as a museum, and for a time was moored at the foot of 129th Street, New York. Gordon Newell, Maritime events of 1925, H. W. McCurdy Maritime History of the Pacific Northwest., p. 363.  The square-rigger was 244 feet long and had a 43 foot beam. The Packard was so well constructed that she outlived her contemporaries, surviving into the mid-1930s, when she was towed out to sea and sunk. Her after cabin, captain's quarters of goldleaf panels, marble and brass fixtures, and plush upholstery, survives at the Mystic Seaport Museum, near New London, Connecticut. painting

Why Do We Save Ships?

Reference Material

Guy C. Goss
Official number 85,602 or letters JTNM
Barque, American
Hailing Port: Wareham
Tons 1570, material o yp ci
When built. Nov. 1879, Bath, ME by Goss, Swayer & Packard.
Owner: Wm H. Bessie
Dimensions: length 216' 2", breath 39'8", depth 24' 4",
Remarks H PHC, O, Hk, YP; Icf; clk dk11,88; clk b. M4,96; Dkd9.98
Vessel built under Supervision of the Bureau or classed under Special Survey.
Class: exp. Survey San Francisco April 1899.

Masters of the Guy C. Goss :- 
Abel Reynolds, Jr. 	1880, 1881, 1882
John Freeman, Jr. 	1883, 1884, 1885
Reynolds 		1886, 1887, 1888 
Walter Mallett 		1889, 1900 

G.W. Blunt White Library, Mystic Seaport Museum: Microfilm List
MR 93 GUY-C-GOSS (Bark), "Landlubbers Log": 1898, by Carlton B. Allen.

GUY C. GOSS, 100th ship built by Sawyer & Packard, free turkeys for all employees. Abel Reynolds was a Cape Codder formally in the bark Xenia. Second to command her, Captain Alfred Doanne from the Johnathan Bourne out past Sequin. The GOSS'S last master under Captain Besse's ownership was Captain Walter Mallet of Topsham, 13 years, four times to the Orient with case oil (kerosene) Cape Horn trade and several voyages to Puget Sound ports.

While on passage to Hiogo [now spelled Hyogo], Japan with case oil, Captain Mallett rescued the crew of the floundering schooner Alice Montgomery of Bath on March 16,1888, Providence bound with coal, caught in a late winter storm. On return to Boston the GUY C. GOSS encountered a gale on Sept. 23, lost considerable canvas and thrown on her beam ends, lost her fore top-gallant mast and mizzen topmast with all rigging. Captain Mallett put into San Francisco for repairs.
Off Cape Horn on March 7, 1900 while running before a westerly gale loaded with lumber from Vancouver to Philadelphia the GOSS lost her rudder. She was known to steer hard so the makeshift rudder (jury rigged rudder) was made smaller from the Douglas fir cargo. About ½ the size. She seemed faster and better to handle. Despite eight days idle off Cape Horn she made passage in 117 days to Capes of Delaware.

Sea Struck is about the final decades of American square-rigged sail, as recorded in firsthand accounts of voyages made by three well-born young men from Massachusetts. The city of New Bedford looms large here-two young men, Frank Besse and Rodman Swift, came from families prominent in the whaling industry, and old whaling money financed the construction of two ships, the William J. Rotch and the Guy C. Goss, both built in Bath, Maine, under the direction of Captain William Besse of New Bedford (and cousin of young Frank).

Was the Guy C. Goss a downeaster?  No - she was a bark not a ship.
Down Easter or "Cape Horner" - a full-rigged ship built in New England in the late 19th century, usually of wood and relatively fast. The "Down Easters" replaced the clipper ships as the economic demands called for less speed and more cargo-carrying capacity.  The "Cape Horners" of the late nineteenth century built to carry cargoes around Cape Horn between America's Atlantic and Pacific ports.

The Down Easters. American Deep-Water Sailing Ships, 1869-1929 by Basil Lubbock.   288pp, 131 b/w photo and reproduction plates, 4 b/w foldout plans, size varies, endpaper maps, appendix, index, blue cloth boards with gilt lettering. Comprehensive work on American Cape Horners following the clipper ship era. Basil Lubbock broke into maritime literature almost thirty years ago with his Round the Horn before the Mast, and from whose pen has flowed a steady....

The History of The Downeasters indicating their origin and Cape Horners their trading route. Records include those of the 'Young America' and the 'Davy Crockett'. Down East is used not in the Boston but in the New York sense of all New England. A few New York- ers, Philadelphians, or West Coast vessels are included; but nine-tenths of the book is devoted to Maine ships and Maine men, with Bath, Thomaston, and Searsport taking the lead. It is arranged chronologically like Mr. Lubbock's other works, year by year and ship by ship; but that's the way the shellbacks like the stuff.

More than once the author chronicles a great Down-Easter being passed by a dainty tea-clipper, which in turn would have been left hull down in a proper wind by one of Donald McKay's creations. Yet the Down-Easters were splendid ships, well built, well manned and well found, far more practical and lasting than the clippers of the fifties....

Wharekawa - Puwhenua stream, Firth of Thames - Site for Hopper use of American Barque "Guy C Goss" as hulk - Plans, sketch, photographs - Carr Poutney and Co. Wharekawa Shingle Company Limited and others 1926 - 1954

Spelling Variations
GUY G. Goss

The Hinau - old WW2 minesweeper

The photo, taken by Peter Shaw, of the hulk on the beach near Kaiaua, North Island, NZ about 1977 and the name Guy C. Goss was the name then still visible on the stern but she is the old WW2 minesweeper named Hinau (Hee now) not the "Guy C. Goss" and the Hinau was beached as a breakwater years ago at the shingle plant. This remnant is not to be confused with another wooden ship remain "Guy C. Goss" referred to above. 

Geoff B. wrote in 2007 "when engaged as master of a gravel barge found the keel and bottom timbers of her almost buried in the mud at low tide mark. Surprisingly well preserved considering the age and the length of time immersed. It is a huge piece of timber at least one hundred feet in length.  I took a large splinter as a memento and it still had a distinct pine aroma to it." In 1994 only the keel remains of the Guy C. Goss in a very deteriorated condition.

Daily Southern Cross, 12 July 1871, Page 7
Our correspondent says, "Coromandel appears to be too healthy a place to keep a medical practitioner. Dr. Cowan leaves us to-day ; and there is row no doctor nearer than the Thames — a rather awkward state of things in the event of accident or serious illness occurring."