India to New Zealand

NZ Bound   Index   Search   Hints     Lists   Ports

India to New Zealand

Taken by Kim, Oct. 2005

After the death of the Mogul (emperor) in 1707 there was European commercial intrusion into the Indian subcontinent which was supplemented by a military struggle between the British and French which left Britain unchallenged. In 1858 the rule of the British East India Company was transferred to the Crown. In the period 1815-1885 Britain built its Indian Empire. British India was divided into three Presidencies : Bombay, which covered the west and north of the country, including what is now Pakistan; Bengal, which covered the east of the country and included Burma and what is now Bangladesh and Madras, which covered the southern portion of India. The main cities of the Presidencies were Bombay, Calcutta and Madras, respectively. On 15 August 1947 British power was finally surrendered and India was established as a dominion. 

GUESTBOOK for Mauritius and India.

Did any ships arrive directly from India to New Zealand?

The Emu, 382 tons, Captain Smith, from London, via Hobart, arrived at Wellington March 13th 1851, with passengers, including 15 Native Infantry of the Bengal Army. White Wings Vol. 11, pg 218

The Lady Jocelyn, originally built for the East India trade, left Calcutta with the headquarters of the 43rd Regiment Light Infantry, in command of Colonel Henry Booth arrived in Auckland on 10 December 1863. Her passengers included 21 officers, 646 rank and file, 48 women, 93 children and Mr Moran (schoolmaster, Mrs Moran and child) and a band numbering 25, belonging to the 43rd, and upon entering the harbour played several pieces in good style. The vessel left Calcutta on October 8 and experienced a continue heavy head winds. As she was very light trim she became very cranky and made little headway for several days. Captain Robert W. Ker (Lieutenant R.N. (reserve) considered the ship unsafe, so he called at Mauritius on November 1 and took in ballast. The next day he resumed her passage. Seven deaths and nine births occurred during the voyage.  The Lady Jocelyn brought out 600,000 rounds of rifle ammunition, store and tent equipage, etc. Source: White Wings: Vol. 1. page 42 & 43

The Southern Cross 11 December 1863
The Lady Jocelyn, s.s., left Calcutta on the 8th October, proceeding down the river Ganges, and took her final departure from Sandheads on the following day. Dimensions: Length, 254 feet; breadth 39 feet; depth (from hold to upper deck) 33 feet; gross tonnage 2,142; register tonnage 1,692. She was built by Messrs. Mares and Co., at Blackwall, and is now owned by the East India and London Shipping Company. Private King, died from cholera, on the sixth day out from Calcutta; Sergeant Washington, aged 24, sun stroke, shortly after leaving Calcutta; Private Wilson, of consumption, about a fortnight ago; and Denness, who expired suddenly in his hammock. Mrs Meally died while giving birth to twins, and Mrs Cooper also died in childbirth. The Armenian, with the second portion of the 43rd, may now be looked for hourly. She was to leave Calcutta on the 4th, and allowing a fortnight for embarkation and fitting up, she would be able to take her departure at the end of October. She has on board 356 men of the 43rd, and a portion of the 68th Regiment. The remainder will follow in the Australian, which may be looked for in about a fortnight.

The Lady Jocelyn sailed for Sydney direct on Friday 18th Dec. 1863.The steamer Lady Jocelyn, Captain R.W. Ker, left the harbour for Sydney. There was only one passenger by her, Dr. Redwell.

Nelson Examiner and New Zealand Chronicle, 11 May 1861, Page 4
Additional Troops for New Zealand.— We learn from the Calcutta papers that the ships Daniel Rankin, Louisa, and Mindin, left that port for New Zealand, between the 23rd February and the 5th of March, with the 70th Regiment on board.

Daily Southern Cross, 14 May 1861, Page 2
FOREIGN. May 13— Daniel Rankin, 1047 tons, W. Rankin, from Calcutta. — Robertson and Patterson, agents

Taranaki Herald, 18 May 1861, Page 2 
On Friday last, the transport ship Daniel Rankin was signalled, but owing to the light wind, could not beat up until Saturday evening, when she anchored off the Queen street pier about 7 o'clock. She had on board 311 rank and file, 9 officers, 24 women, and 29 children of the 70th Regiment of the line, under the command of Captain Pilling. The other officers on board were — Captains P.F. de Quincey, Alex. C. H. Tovey, Lieutenants T. Deering, Blackhouse, Herbert J. Hill, Charles Rogers, John F. A. Grierson, and Charles C. Richardson ; Ensign Norman Huskisson ; Asst.- Surgeon J. Hessian. There were several deaths from cholera, caught when leaving Calcutta — 11 men, 3 women, and 1 child died of this epidemic : the rest of the men enjoyed excellent health. The voyage from the Sand Heads to Auckland was performed in 72 days. The Daniel Rankin was warped in, and moored at the Queen street wharf yesterday morning. The debarkation of the troops took place at noon. The main body paraded on the wharf, and marched en route to Otahuhu, leaving a fatigue party and the women and children on board.-— Southern Cross, May 14.
    The Louisa, Tillman, commander, from Calcutta, arrived last night shortly after 7 o'clock, and came to an anchor a little below the Queen street wharf. She brings the head-quarters of the 70th Regiment, with the band. The following officers are on board: Colonel Chute; Capts. Saltmarshe, Greaves, Fraser. Lieut, and Adjutant Menteith ; Lieut. Leake, musketry instructor ; Lieut Gilbert; Ensigns Collins, and Feneren; Surgeon Meikleham; Mr. Deittrich, band-master. The troops consist of 310 non-commissioned officers and men. There are also Mrs Tillman and Mrs Greaves, passengers ; and 18 women and 31 children. Three men died on board of cholera in the Hoogley ; but during the rest of the voyage the troops were very healthy. The Daniel Rankin, having landed the troops she had on board, hauled out from the wharf last evening, to give a berth to the Louisa. The debarkation will take place to-morrow, when the head-quarters of the Regiment will proceed to Otahuhu, where the first detachment preceded them. — Ibid.

Daily Southern Cross, 4 June 1861, Page 4
There were two births on board. The Louisa is a first class London ship, the property of Messrs. Teigh and Smith ; measurement, 903 tons ; length of keel, 182 feet ; breadth of beam, 34 feet ; depth of hold, 20 feet. She left Calcutta on the 22nd February, and the Sand Heads on the 26th. During the voyage she had light winds with calms, and Railed on a wind nearly the entire passage. After rounding Van Diemen's Land strong northerly winds with a heavy north east sea and much wet were encountered. The first land sighted was the Three Kings, on the morning of the 7th ; and the beat up the coast with  light south east wind, sighting Auckland on Sunday morning. The arrangements on board were excellent, and the troops speak highly of the attention of Captain Tillman and his officers.

Daily Southern Cross,  4 June 1861, Page 4
May 23— Daniel Rankin, ship, 1047 tons, Rankin, for Calcutta, in ballast. — Webster and Patterson agents.
There were two births on board. The Daniel Rankin is a fine Clyde-built ship, of 1047 tons measurement. She was built by Messrs. Denny and Rankin, of Dumbarton in 1858, and is 193 feet in length of keel, 34 feet beam, and 22 feet depth of hold. Captain Rankin, the commander of this noble ship, is a son of one of the members of the eminent ship building firm, by whom she Was constructed. The voyage from the Sand Heads to Auckland was performed in 72 days. The ship encountered very light winds and calms, or the passage would have been much more rapid. She passed to the south of Tasmania, but did not sight it, and made Cape Maria Van Diemen on Sunday, the 5th inst. Light winds prevailed along the coast. The Daniel Rankin was warped in, and moored at the Queen-street wharf yesterday morning. The debarkation of the troops took place at noon. The main body paraded on the wharf, and marched en route to Otahnhu, leaving a fatigue party and the women and children on board. Mrs. Pilling and five children, and Mrs. Tovey and one child, were passengers in the saloon.

Daily Southern Cross, 4 June 1861, Page 5
We have been requested to publish the following letter from the officers in command of the 70th Regiment, which arrived here in the "Daniel Rankin," from Calcutta —
Auckland, May 13th, 1861.
Dear Sir, — We, the undersigned Officers of H M. 70th Regiment beg, before your departure from Auckland, to express the high sense we entertain of the uniform kindness and attention have received from you and the officers of the "Daniel Rankin," during the -voyage from Calcutta, and also to testify to. the very excellent and liberal arrangements as regards accommodation and provisions on board &c.
Oswald Pilling, Captain 70th Regt ,
P. F. De Quincey, do., do ,
A. Tovey, do , do ,
Thos. D Backhouse, Lieut., 70th Regt
Herbert Hill do., do.,
C. Roger, do., do.,
C. C. Richardson, do , do.,
J. T A. Grierson, do , do.,
H. Huskieson, Ensign, do ,
T. O. Hession, Assistant Surgeon, 70th Regiment.
To Capt. Wm. Rankin, ship "Daniel Rankin." This testimonial must be very gratifying to Captain Rankin, and officers of his ship. — Ibid.

Otago Witness, 8 July 1897, Page 28
Missing Friends — S. HARRIS, late Sergeant, 70th, will be glad to hear from DANIEL RANKIN, formerly of the Troopship Louisa Minden, who came to Auck land from Calcutta, in January 1861. Address : Samuel Harris. Kyeburn.

The Southern Cross –  Saturday 9th January 1864 pg3
Arrivals Port of Auckland
Australian, s.s., from Rangoon, via Melbourne, with troops.
Chariot of Fame, ship, from Queenstown, with troops

Arrival of the Australian, Capt. Dando, from Rangoon, with troops.
The s.s. Australian dropped anchor in the harbour yesterday morning. she left Rangoon on the 21st November last, having on board the head-quarters of the 68th Regiment. She arrived in Melbourne on the 26th December, and left again for this port on the 31st. Mr Stale, chief mate.

The Australian is a screw steamer of 1,500 tons gross, 860 tons burthen, commanded by Captain H. Cunningham Dando, R.N. reserve, and has excellent accommodation for the conveyance of troops. She belongs to the British India S.S. Navigation Company, and comes into harbour in first-rate condition. The men of the 65th are a fine; healthily-looking body of men. Only one death occurred. The crew except officers, is composed of lascars, whose novel dress and appearance contrasted strangely with the groups of soldiers that filled the decks. The following is a list of the officers:
Lieutenant-Colonel Morant
Captain Oakley
Captain Seymour
Lieutenant and Adjutant Marshall
Lieutenant Robley
Lieutenant Turner
Ensign Bousfiled
Surgeon-Major Best
Quartermaster Sladen
with 277 rank and file
7 women and 10 children

Passengers in the cabin:
Mrs Best and Mrs Sladen

The s.s. Australian takes her departure on the 14th for Newcastle.

The Southern Cross Monday 18 January 1864 pg2
The Light Brigade, Captain Henry Evans, arrived Saturday afternoon from Rangoon with detachments of the 43rd and 68th Regiments on board, besides a large number of women and children.

The Light Brigade, 1214 tons, arrived in Auckland 17 January 1864 after 46 days from Rangoon with a detachment of the 43rd Regiment with women and children sailed on  the 7th November from Calcutta on the board to Rangoon where she embarked a detachment of the 68th Regiment with women and children from Rangoon. Mr Holland, officer. Fine weather was experienced during the whole passage. After passing Tasmanian, it was the captain's intention to come round by the South; but a strong blow coming on from the S.E., he stood away for the North Cape, sighting the Three Kings on the 12th instant. Off Poor Knights lay for two days, becalmed. The Light Brigade was built at Boston in 1855, and belongs to the Black Ball line of clippers. She is a handsome vessel of 1,214 tons and has made a capital run of 46 days from Rangoon. One deserter from the 60th Rifles was discovered to be on board after the ship had sailed. The causalities during the voyage were- died 1 women and 3 children of the 43rd Regiment, 5 births are recorded. The general state of health was throughout very good.  Her agents are Messrs. Stephenson and Wardell.
68th Regiment - 215 non-commissioned officers and privates, 33 women and 73 children.
43rd Regiment - 47 non-commissioned officers and privates, 10 women and 21 children.

The officers who arrived on this trip and afterwards took part in the Maori War were:

Major C.W. Shutteworth, 68th Regiment, commanding
Captain Pratt [Spratt]
Lieutenant C.B. Tew, wife and child
Lieutenant B.H. Burke
Lieutenant C.C. Hood
Assistant-Surgeon O. Codrington [Coddington]
211 rank and file
33 women and 73 children

43rd Regiment
Captain Charles N. Mure [Charles R. Mure]
Captain E. Utterton
Lieutenant  W. Livesay
Assistant-Surgeon J. Good
10 women and 32 children
The total rank and file on board was 258; 43 women and 94 children; and 10 officers.

The Southern Cross, Jan. 30 1864, page 2
The Light Brigade, flag ship of yesterday, is the most splendidly moulded ship that ever came to Auckland, and is now laid on for London.

Southern Cross Saturday 23rd January 1864 pg 3
Arrival of the Armenian from Rangoon having on board the remainder of H.M. 's 68th Regiment. She had put into Adelaide for repairs. Sailed from Adelaide on the 4th. Captain Mitchell commands the Armenian left the vessel for shore the moment she dropped anchor. Her voyage, a tedious one, judging from the crippled state in which she comes into port, her foremast almost rendered useless and her mizzen completely gone, being fished from the head to the lower deck and her engines of but nominal power, and next to useless, excepting in a dead calm.
Major Kirby in command
Captain H.W.J. Trent
Captain F. Casement
Lieutenant T.R. Clarkson
Lieutenant C.E.B. Pownall
Ensign W.H.F. Palmer
Assistant Surgeon A.V. Applin
Passengers in cabin - Mrs Kirby and Mrs Clarkson.
Total strength of detachment,7 officers and 348 non commissioned officers and men, 3 women, and 5 children. One man died and one child was born on the passage.
The Armenian is 656 tons register, with 60hp, but in the bad state of her boilers, this was reduced to 36hp. She is 85 days from Rangoon, and 17 days from Adelaide. She is the dirtiest vessel, both externally and internally, that we ever recollect boarding in this harbour. She appears totally unfitted for service as a troop ship. The men were crowded between decks. Stores called medical comforts seem to have been quite overlooked. The vessel however has now terminated her voyage, and we can only congratulate the officers and men of the 68th on having arrived safely, and regret that in connection with New Zealand they should have to associate so long and unpleasant a passage as that from Rangoon to Auckland.

The Southern Cross January 30th 1864 page 2
The Armenian, a fine steamer, belonging to Apcar and Co., of Calcutta. This ship will shortly proceed to Sydney to refit, and thence proceed to India.

Otago Witness, 4 April 1874, Page 14
Port Chalmers arrivals:
March 31: Rose M. barque, 366 tons, Dennis, from Calcutta. Lange and Thoneman, agents. Passenger : Saloon - Captain Pendleton.

Otago Witness Saturday 18th January 1879
Arrived - January 15th - Loweswater, barque, 603 tons, Lewis, from Calcutta. N.M. and A. Co. agents.
Arrived - January 15th - Amelie, barque 571 tons, Bertho, from Calcutta. Henderson Law and Co., agents.

The Loweswater, an iron barque of 603 tons register, and built at Whitehaven, in Cumberland, in 1876 reached the Heads on January 15th, with a cargo of castor oil, tea and sacks from Calcutta. She was towed up to Deborah Bay by the p.s. Koputai. The master reports leaving Calcutta on November 16th, towing down to Sanger Island and clearing the Sand Heads on the same night. The meridian of Cape Leuwin was crossed on December 30th in latitude 41 14 S. Passed the Island of Tasmania on January 6th.

The French barque Amelie, from Calcutta, arrived off the heads on the afternoon of the 15th instant and was towed up to the anchorage from the cross Channel by the p.s. Koputai. She was quickly boarded and cleared in by the Customs authorities, and the Press representatives boarding her they were received by Captain Bertho with that courtesy which always distinguishes French gentlemen. She is a wholesome-looking barque of about six years old, and was built near Genoa for her owners, who reside in Nantes. She has been trading to al parts of the world, we have rarely seen so perfect a bijou as Captain Bertho's state-cabin and saloon. To say that it is a museum in miniature barely describes it. trophies of arms collected from all parts of the world, birds, musical instruments, bronzes, and idols from India, Java and China, adorn the walls of the state-cabins, while evidence of the captain's skill as an artist are every where seen. The barque brings 700 tons of cargo, consisting of rice, castor oil, woolpacks, grain-sacks and gunnybars, and is consigned to Messrs Henderson and law and Co. of this city. Drawing some 16ft of water, she will necessarily discharge at the Port. Full report of the passage taken from his private journal:- Left Calcutta on November 11; was towed down to Sanger Island, and cleared the Sand Heads on the following day. Passed the island of Nicobar on the 19th of November, the equator, crossed on December 1st in longitude 94.30 E., Paris meridian. Off the island of Sumatra encountered a terrific cyclone, several very large trees, together with a number of native sampans were seen. The trades were true and strong 90 east of Paris on December 20th, when they gave out. The meridian of Cape Leuwin had been passed on January 1st, passed the island of Tasmania on the 8th instant. On the 14th instant made Cape Saunders. Sailed up as far as the Cross Channel and towed.

Otago Witness 1st March 1879
Departure - Feb. 21st, Norval, ship, 1427 tons, Halliday, for Calcutta.

Otago Witness Saturday March 8 1879
Arrivals - February 28th - Buttermere, barque, 1000 tons, Ogilvie, from Calcutta. Master, agent.

Otago Witness, 20 December 1879, Page 12
Arrival - December 12th. Kilmeny, barque, 792 tons, Morgan, from Calcutta (October 20). N M and A Company, agents. Passengers — Messrs Bird (2), Galway.

Otago Witness Saturday January 21 1882 pg 14
Arrived - Tuesday, Phasis, from Calcutta via Lyttelton.

West Coast Times, 24 July 1885, Page 2
Wellington, July 23.
The barque Ganges, 1443 tons, Captain Ferry, arrived from Calcutta via Fiji this afternoon, with a cargo of wool packs, castor oil, &c; part of it is for Dunedin.

Otago Witness 17 September 1886, Page 9
The s.s. Triumph left Lyttelton for Calcutta on Saturday evening with 240 horses, shipped on account of Messrs John Grigg, Hawkins, and Jarvis. They are all light horses, suitable for army purposes or for buggy and tandem work, and are a good useful-looking lot. The vessel's lower deck accommodation for horses has been improved and better ventilation provided.

Timaru Herald Tuesday 2 August 1887
The Press of yesterday says:- Mr John Grigg, of Longbeach, is shipping another consignment of 300 horses to India. They are to go by the steamer Bucephalus, a steamer chartered by Friedlander Bros., of Ashburton. A special train containing a portion of the horses passed through Ashburton, en route to Lyttelton, on Monday evening. The balance of the horses will be trucked at Winslow and sent through to Lyttelton by special train to-day.

Ships built in India

Brougham, 250 tons. Launched in Bombay and was originally built for the Indian pilot service. Arrived at Wellington  25 June 1840.

Edwin Fox , 836tons, was laid down in 1853 in Sulkea, Bengal, India.

The Tweed was originally built for the East India Co., and named Punjaub. She was built of teak and all her fittings were teak and greenheart. Her mainsail was 98ft on the head. The vessel had an India name which doesn't mean she was built in India.

Taken by Kim, Oct. 2005. Stayed here.

Some Births, Marriages, and Deaths  and Mutiny Medals from early New Zealand newspapers that mention India

Marriage:  CURTIS-ROBERTSON- On Friday the 1st of June at St Paul's Church by the Rev. T F Churton, Lieutenant C F Curtis, of the Hon East India Company's service, to Ann Gifford, second daughter of Robertson Esq., of Auckland.
The Daily Southern Cross 9 June 1849

Births: LORD - On the 17th May, at Hydrabad (sic) Scinde, Mrs Charles Lord, of a daughter. The Daily Southern Cross 27 November 1857

Death: LORD - On the 6th July at Hydrabad, Scinde, Rowena, wife of Lieutenant Charles Lord, HEICS, and eldest daughter of J. Russell Esq, Rose Bank, Epsom, Auckland. The Daily Southern Cross 27           November 1857. NB. Rowena Lord died 2 months after giving birth to a daughter.

Daily Southern Cross, 3 May 1864, Page 3
Captain Robert Thomas Francis Hamilton entered the army on the 23rd January, 1852, when he became ensign in the 43rd Regiment, he was a lieutenant in the 13th April, 1855, and captain on the 31st July, 1860. He served with the 97th Regiment in Bengal, in suppressing the mutiny in 1857 and 1858, and was present in the actions of Nusrutpore (as orderly officer to Colonel Ingram, and mentioned in despatches), Chanda, Ummeerpore, and Sultanpore ; siege and capture of Lucknow and storming of the Kaisa Bagh ; operations in Bundlecund in 1859, including the pursuit to, night attack and surprise of the rebels on the Kalec Nuddee, for which he received a medal and clasp.

April 10 1858 Otago Witness
Deaths. Killed during the siege of Lucknow, in India, by a round shot, Captain G. W.W. Fulton, late of the Bengal Engineers.

Name: John FULTON
Event type: Death
Date: 14 July 1899
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Transcribed by: British Library India Office Records

Birth: NATION- At Parnell, Auckland, on the 27th April, the wife of Major H.M. Nation, HM Indian Army (Bengal) The Daily Southern Cross 15 May 1861

Name: Henry Matthew NATION
Event type: Biography
Start year: 1810 End date: End year: 1881
Biographical notes: Lt-Col, Ben Inf; Hodson III p.376; b 1 Nov 1810 Calcutta & bap 29 Nov 1810 Berhampore, eldest s of Stephen, Ben Army, & Mary Anne; N/1/8 f.304; m 11 Mar 1845 Old Church, Calcutta, Jane Catherine eldest dau. of Thomas Bruce SWINHOE of Garden Reach, attorney; N/1/67 f.73; d 12 Mar 1881 New Zealand
Reference: N/1/8 f.304   N/1/67 f.73
Source name: Hodson III p.376
Source edition: Presidency: Bengal
Transcribed by: British Library India Office Records

Marriage: BADDELEY - DYER- On Tuesday the 10th instant, at St. Mary's Church, Parnell, by the Rev Thos Lanfear, Henry Clinton, son of Major General Baddeley RE, to Constance Louisa, third daughter of William Dyer Esq, HEICS, Bengal. New Zealand Herald 13 November 1863

Daily Southern Cross, 28 May 1867, Page 4
Birth: On April 5, at Rajkote, India, the wife of Major Ryrie Alexander, of a daughter.

January 10, at Gyn, India, Richard COLLES, Esq., 1st Class Assistant Engineer, Patna Branch Road Division, aged 39 years. Timaru Herald January 1868

Evening Post, 26 July 1870
The medal for meritorious service has been awarded to Regimental Sergeant-Major Alexander Kirkland, together with an annuity. He served in the 12th Foot in the Australian Colonies, and saw active service in the New Zealand campaign, for which the New Zealand medal was granted to him last year. He also served in the Crimean war (distinguishing himself and receiving the Crimean and Turkish medals), and throughout the whole of the Indian Mutiny, being present at the relief of Luckuow. He now wears the following decorations ; — The Crimean medal with one clasp, the Sardinian Order of Valour, the Turkish medal, the medal for the Indian Mutiny with two clasps, the New Zealand medal, and, lastly, the medal for meritorious service.

Marriage:  DANVERS-REVELL - On February 4th, at Kaiapoi, Danby H Danvers, son of the late Edward Danvers Esq, of Bombay, to Mary Grace, fifth daughter of the late John Revell Esq, of Korotueka, Kaiapoi. The Otago Daily Times 15 February 1871

Marriage: BROWN-CATTO- On the 6th March, at Dunedin, George Henry, fourth son of S.J. Brown Esq, Bank of London and Leeds, and grandson of the late Sir Joseph Radcliffe Bart, of Rudding Park, Yorkshire, to Isabella Beatrice, youngest daughter of the late W Catanach Catto, formerly of the Honourable E I Company's Civil Service.
The Otago Daily Times 25 April 1874

Death:  JOHNSTONE - On the 10th June at Melbourne, Mrs M.C. Johnstone relict of the late Captain William Johnstone, 51st Regiment, Madras Native Infantry. The Otago Daily Times 7 July 1875

Death: LOUGHNAN - On the 17th February, drowned in the "Strathclyde" off Dover, Andrew Robert Loughnan, Major, Bengal Staff Corps. Aged 38. RIP The Dunstan Times 12 May 1876

Saturday 27 November  1880  Auckland -  Murder of Miss DOBIE
The murder of Miss Dobie has caused a great sensation in Auckland,  where she was well known, having resided in Parnell, where her married brother is at present living. - The following particulars concerning her will be of interest. Her father was Major Herbert Mayne  Dobie, of the 30th Native Infantry,  Madras Army.  He died in India on active service.  There were 6 children,  three sons and 3 daughters of whom she was the 3rd and youngest. The eldest daughter is in England and married. The younger brother is  Herbert Dobie, an Officer in the Auckland Railway Dept. The eldest brother is an Officer in the Horse Artillery. The 2nd son an Army surgeon.  Miss Dobie's mother is sister of Mr Frederick LOCKER,  editor and Prop. of the "Graphic" ..inquest tomorrow.

Timaru Herald December 1881.
SIBBALD - On the 30th of July last, at Meerut, Bengal, India, William Sibbald, junr., late of the Mackenzie Country, Canterbury, New Zealand, aged 32

The Star Friday 4 March 1881
Death - YOUNG - on 15 January at Bangalore, India, Harold, infant son of Mr & Mrs George Young, late of Christchurch, NZ.

Star 3 January 1882, Page 2
This time we have to announce the death of Captain Clogstoun, a gentleman whose name has for many years been connected with sporting matters in Canterbury. He came to New Zealand in 1862, and was formerly in the Punjaub Irregular Cavalry. Captain Clogstoun was only 49 years of age at the time of his death.

Evening Post, 4 May 1882
The Wairarapa Star says that the late Captain Ruck, although not an old man, was a veteran soldier, and had seen a good deal of active service. He was through the Crimean Campaign, and held the British and Turkish medals for his services there. He afterward figured in the Indian Mutiny. From India he started to .New Zealand, arriving in Auckland about 1863, when the Waikato war broke out. He was then in command of a British regiment, but after a time he sold out his commission and joined the Colonial Militia, occupying the post of a staff officer in command of a company in the transport service He was all through the Native wars, in this island, and richly earned the New Zealand medal. Subsequently, he went to England, but returned shortly after to the colony again, and settled down in Napier, where for twelve months he filled the office of acting Registrar of the Supreme Court, in the absence on leave of the Registrar. From Napier he proceeded to Foxton, where he carried on business as a commission agent. Thence he went to Wellington, and between three and four years ago he made his way up to Masterton.

The Times, Wednesday, Jan 08, 1890; pg. 1 Death
On the 27th Nov., at Dunedin, NZ, Margaret Justina, the beloved wife of William Thomson (formerly of Calcutta), and Enfield, Middlesex), in her 77th year. Indian papers please copy.

Evening Post, 22 July 1890, Page 2
The death of Sergt.-Major Norris Bell, who for many years past has occupied the position of Instructor and Sergeant-Major of Volunteers in the Wellington District. The military career of the late Sergeant- Major had extended over a period of 36 years, during which time he had done the State some service, having stood face to face with " grim visaged war" both in India and in Africa. When quite a youth, the deceased in 1854 enlisted in the 2nd Battalion of the Rifle Brigade, and shortly afterwards accompanied his corps to India, where he fought through the Sepoy mutiny, and at the conclusion of the insurrection he obtained the Indian medal. Bell served for ten years in India. In 1873-74 he was fighting in the Asbantoo War and during the campaign he distinguished himself. He accompanied the Wellington Contingent to Parihaka.

Evening Post,  1 February 1890, Page 3
An old Crimean veteran, who also saw service during the latter part of the Indian Mutiny and served with distinction daring the last New Zealand war, joined the great majority to-day. We refer to Mr. B. Stagpool, who for years has been a resident of Wellington, and who passed away at his residence, Exter House, Cambridge terrace, early morning. For his Crimean service Mr. Stagpool was awarded a medal by the Imperial Government, from whom he also drew a pension up to the time of his death. He came to the colony with the gallant 57th Regiment, and with them took part in quelling the native disturbance - on the West Coast which had necessitated their presence, being also present at the storming of Titokowaru's stronghold. Having gained the New Zealand medal for this service, Stagpool, like many of his comrades, determined to settle in the colony, whore he remained until his death. He was twice married, and leaves a widow. Two of his sons are at present in Sydney, and a third is a sergeant of police - at Sydenham, Christchurch ; while his only daughter is to married to Mr. J. Driscoll, of Courtenay place. Mr Stagpool's death was somewhat sudden, and was due to a seizure of what, medical men specify as Indian cholera, a disease which he contracted while in India, and has since been subjected to periodical attacks.

Evening Post,  25 January 1892, Page 2
Death of an Old Soldier.
Masterton, This Day. Sergeant Bernard Diamond, V.C., late of the Royal Horse Artillery, died yesterday, at the age of 66. Deceased served 21 years in Her Majesty's service, 19 of which were spent in India. He was in possession of the Victoria Cross, the Punjaub medal, the Indian Mutiny medal, and the good conduct medal. He will be given a military funeral on Wednesday.

Evening Post, 1 August 1892, Page 2
Mr JAMES PHILLIPS. Early this morning there passed away at his residence in Newtown, after a long and painful illness, Drum-Major James Phillips, late of the 78th Highlanders. Deceased enlisted in the regiment named in 1845, at the early age of 18, and served with it in the Persian war of 1857 under Sir James Outram, for which he received a medal ; also throughout the Indian Mutiny. Ho took part in many important engagements, including Cawnpore, the relief of Luoknow, and though final capture of the latter city under Sir Colin Campbell, receiving for that campaign a medal and two clasps. In 1865 he was discharged from the 78th with a pension and three good conduct badges, and ho subsequently joined the Londonderry Regiment of Milita, in which he remained for five years. After coming to this city, where he has resided for a number of years, he was for some time an active member of the Wellington Navals. He leaves a widow and grown-up family.

Evening Post, 9 April 1894, Page 4
A Veteran Bandsman.
Mr. James M'Comish, whose death as the result of a fall in the Auckland Opera House was recently recorded, was a military bandsman of Home note. He came to the colony as Band Sergeant in the 57th Regiment, and served in the New Zealand campaign from 1861 to 1864 at New Plymouth, where he retired from the regiment. He was a soldier's son (born in the 57th Regiment- Old Diehards). He also served with the 57th Regiment through the Crimean War and Indian Mutiny of 1857-58. He belonged to the band, and possessed the Crimean medal, with clasps for Balaclava, Inkerman and Sebastopol also Turkish and New Zealand medals. After completing his term of service he joined the mounted force in Taranaki as trumpeter, and served with them until they were disbanded. He, in 1869, went to Auckland, where he remained up to the time of his death.

Evening Post, 27 August 1895, Page 2 DEATH
Hamilton—On 22ad July. 1895 at Bombay, India, Rev. J. M. Hamilton, S. J., Professor of Literature and Mathematics at St. Xavier's College, Bombay, Fellow of Bombay University, and -: brother of Sister F. Xavier and Mrs D. Walsh, of this city; aged 55 years. R.1.P.

Timaru Herald September 1897
BAILEY. In action, on the Rambat Pass, North -Western frontier, India, Arthur Wellesley Bailey, Lieut. 38th (Dogra) Regt. of Bengal Infantry, eldest son of Lieut. Col. C.S. Bailey, late H.M. 11th (Devon) Regt; aged 30 years. Deeply regretted.

Name: Arthur Wellesley BAILEY
Event type: Biography
Start year: 1867 End date: End year: 1897
Biographical notes: Lt, Br Army; de Rh้-Philipe p.10; kia 15 Sep 1897, between Chaharmung river & Markhanai
Transcribed by: British Library India Office Records
Source name: de Rh้-Philipe p.10

Evening Post, 19 November 1897, Page 4
Mr. Michael Forbes, an old resident of Wanganui, dropped dead at Westruere, Wanganui, on Tuesday. The deceased, who had been suffering from heart disease, was once a private in the 43rd Regiment, and served in the Maori war and the Indian Mutiny.

North Otago Times, 13 July 1898, Page 2
GISBORNE. July 12.
Obituary — Lieutenant-Colonel Simeon (Bengal) Royal Artillery, who served in the Punjaub campaign of 1848-9 (medal two clasps) ; during the north-west frontier of India campaign of 1851-2 (medal) ; Indian Mutiny campaign of 1858 (mentioned in despatches, medal with clasps); and in the H_zara campaign of 1868 (clasp); aged 71.

Evening Post, 2 March 1899, Page 4
Yesterday there was announced the death at Perth. W.A., of Lieut. W. N. S. Beamish, formerly of the 14th Hussars and 21st Fusiliers. The deceased was known in Wellington, and was brother of Captain Beamish of the Colonial Museum staff. His services are thus summed up in Hart's Army List:— Lieut. Beamish served in the Persian expedition with the 14th Light Dragoons in 1857 (medal) ; was present at the suppression of the Mutiny at Aurungahad in 1857 ; served with the Central India Field Force under Sir Hugh Rose, in 1858, and was present at the siege and capture of Rahutgur, action of Baroda, relief of Saugur, capture of Ghonakota, at Malthouse, siege and capture of Jhansi, battles of Betwa and Koonch (wounded), all the affairs during the advance on Calpee and action of Golowlee, capture of Calpee, and pursuit action of Morar, recapture of Gwalior and operations against Burjore Singh (medal and clasp.)

The Star Saturday 17 November 1900 page 5
Captain Lauchlan McLean, who died at Nelson, at the age of 66 was for 25 years Master of sailing ships, between India & England. He retired from the sea many years ago, owing to ill health. He went to Nelson from Christchurch, 16 or 17 years ago and resided there ever since. He suffered very much from a complication of diseases, the immediate cause of death was apoplexy.

Evening Post,24 November 1900, Page 5
Yesterday's Times contained a notification of the marriage of Mr. J. L. Wood, of the Natal Bank, Pretoria, formerly of Calcutta, to Miss Joanna Elisabeth Turnbull, daughter of the late Mr. Walter Turnbull, of Mount Henly, Upper Norwood, and Wellington, New Zealand. The wedding took place on the 18th inst. at the English Presbyterian Church, Regent-square. Another New Zealand outward passenger by the s.s. Omrah will be Mr. Govett, who goes out by that route on his way to Auckland.

The Star Friday December 7th 1900 page 3
LEITH - December 5th at Christchurch Hospital, as result of an accident. Alexander Leith, late of F. Brigade Royal Artillery, India. in his 76th year. Deeply Regretted.

Evening Post, 29 December 1900, Page 4
A veteran who served his Queen and country for over 21 years, commencing in the first half of the now dying century, died in the Old Men's Home at Oamaru on Saturday morning (says the Mail). This was John Connell, who was enlisted on the 24th April, 1845, in the 78th Highlanders. He Served in the Persian campaign in 1857, for which he received a medal ; and was in the Indian Mutiny campaign in 1857-58, receiving the medal and two clasps. He was discharged from the 78th. on the 30th May, 1865, and was then in possession of a good conduct medal and five good conduct badges, receiving the accompanying ฃ5 gratuity. He came to Oamaru about 30 years ago.

Evening Post, 23 December 1901, Page 5
On Saturday afternoon a party of heroes of the nation's fights in days gone by attended at Government House to receive at the hands of His Excellency the Governor new ribbons for their war medals. Similar ceremonies have already - taken place in the South. An attendance of about 30 from the Wellington district was expected, but only a dozen or so appeared. The veterans who received the ribbons were: —
Thomas Urwin, R.N., seven years' service, - Baltic and New Zealand medals
Joseph Hicks, 19th Foot, five years' service, Crimean medal and three clasps and Turkish medal
John Delaney, 57th Regiment, 12 yrs' service, Crimean medal and three clasps, and Turkish, Indian Mutiny, and NZ medals
Charles Haddon, 12th Foot, twelve years' service, New Zealand medal
William Watts, New Zealand regiment, one year's service, New Zealand medal
James Brown, New Zealand Regiment, eleven years' service, New Zealand medal
C. Shean, 57th Regiment, ten years' service, New Zealand medal 
Michael Launders,  57th Regiment, twelve years' service, Crimean, Turkish, and Indian Mutiny medals
Michael O'Connor, 57th Regiment, 13 yrs service, Crimean medal & three clasps, & Turkish, Baltic, Indian Mutiny, and NZ medals
W. Morris, New Zealand Regiment, two years service, New Zealand medal
Alfred Burton, Royal Marine Light Infantry, twelve years' service, China, 1860
Captain Beamish, 14th Foot, nine years' service, New Zealand medal
James Grever, Rifle Brigade and Bengal Horse Artillery, twelve years' service, Indian Mutiny medal
Edward Hutchings, colonial forces, three years' service, New Zealand medal..
When the last man had received his ribbon His Excellency gave the toast of "The King," which was honoured with enthusiasm. Both His Excellency and the Countess of Ranfurly chatted pleasantly with the men, and showed much interest in their experiences in the historic campaigns of the Empire.

Hawera & Normanby Star
, 19 August 1902, Page 3
At the Old People's Home, New Ply mouth, there passed away, at the age of 75, another of the few remaining veterans who want through the Indian Mutiny. Thomas McShane, the veteran in question,- enlisted in the 70th Regiment, which went to India in 1849, being present at several important episodes in the campaign, and receiving the Indian medal. Later he took part in the Waikato and Taranaki wars.

Evening Post, 23 August 1905, Page 5
Captain James M'Pherson died at his residence at Hamilton yesterday morning, aged 73, after a long illness. Deceased served with the 93rd Highlanders throughout the Crimean war, winning a medal with three clasps and the Turkish medal. He was also in the Indian Mutiny campaign of 1857-9. He landed in Auckland in 1861, with the 70th. Surrey Regiment, and served in the Maori war of 1861-5 with that regiment and the commissariat transport corps, receiving the New Zealand medal. He was the first member of Parliament for Waikato. At the time of his death, he was Clerk of the Waikato County Council, a position he had held for twenty-eight years.

Evening Post, 23 August 1905, Page 5
News has been received in Christchurch of the death of Lieutenant Haly Garcia by drowning in the Scinde river, Cashmere, India. Lieutenant Garcia was the eldest son of Captain Garcia, for many rears a resident of Christchurch but now in England. He joined the Imperial Yeomanry and served in South Africa, where he was transferred to the Second New Zealand Contingent, in which he yet his commission. After the war he was appointed to a lieutenancy in the first Battalion Durham Light Infantry, and was serving with that regiment in India at the time of his death. He was a keen athlete. In 1897 he won the half mile amateur championship of New Zealand.

Hawera & Normanby Star, 21 October 1905, Page 4
An old Crimean veteran named Michael Fox, who died in the Christchurch Hospital last week, had gained the Imperial long service medal, the Crimean medal, the, Indian Mutiny medal, and the Good Conduct medal. The medals were stolen from him on the West Coast 10 or 11 years ago, but he had the ribbons on his coat. He was an Imperial army pensioner for the past 12 years, and he had the campaign pension. He was 72 years of age.

Evening Post, 30 October 1905, Page 6
CHRISTCHURCH, This Day. The death is announced of Captain F. W. Hutton, F.R.S. Death occurred just before the Rimutaka reached Capetown. The deceased was President of the New Zealand Institute and Curator of the Christchurch Museum. Captain Hutton had and interesting career. He was at the Relief of Lucknow under Sir Colin Campbell, and for his services during the Mutiny he received a medal and two clasps. In November, 1865, he sold out of the army and came to New Zealand.

Hawera & Normanby Star, 16 March 1908, Page 5
An old Imperial soldier named James Larkin, an inmate of the 'Old Men's Home, died early on Saturday morning at the, age of 76 years. Deceased went through the Indian Mutiny under Brigadier Stewart. He was before Pekin with the allied English and French armies in 1860. He also served in Japan and Burmah, and held the Indian Mutiny medal and medal and clasp for good conduct and long service. Deceased, who arrived in the colony in 1874, will be accorded a military funeral tomorrow.

Hawera & Normanby Star, 6 August 1908, Page 5 A VETERAN'S DEATH.
AUCKLAND, August 5
Daniel Theabold, one of the oldest residents, died in the Veteran's Home today, aged 87. He served in the 60th Regiment through the Indian Mutiny, in the Maori War, and was present at the taking of Waitara pa, Taranaki. He held the Indian Mutiny medal, the New Zealand medal, the Imperial long service and other medals.

Evening Post, 6 August 1908, Page 3
Auckland 5th August. Mr. Daniel Theobold, one of the oldest resident of Auckland, died in the Veterans' Home to-day, aged eighty-seven. Ho served in the 70th Regiment through the Indian Mutiny and Maori Wars, and was at the taking of Waitara Pa in Taranaki. Ho hold the Indian Mutiny medal, the New Zealand medal, the Imperial long service, and other medals.

Evening Post, 25 February 1910, Page 7
Among the veterans who have come to Wellington in connection with the visit of Lord Kitchener is Mr. Thomas Furlong, a well-known business man of New Plymouth. He enlisted in the 57th Regiment in 1851, landed in the Crimea the day after the battle of Alma (1854), served through the remainder of the campaign, and was present at the battles of Balaclava and Inkerman, the siege and the fall of Sebastopol, the assaults of the Redan, on the 18th June and 8th September, 1855, and also the bombardment and surrender of Kinbourn. He wad with the 57th Regiment on the of outposts on the Taptee River, in co-operation with the Central India Field Force, during the Mutiny. During the war in 1861 in New Zealand, he was present at the assault on the rebel Maori positions on the Kaitikara River on the 4th June, 1863, the action at Poutoko on 2nd October, 1863, and the assaults and capture of the Maori strongholds at Ahuahu and Kaitake in March, 1864, and Mataitawa and Te Arei in October of the same year ; also the occupation of Opunake, and subsequent operations at Warea and Te Puru. The latter portion of Mr. Furlong's services was rendered as a, member of the Taranaki Mounted Corps, which he joined after receiving his discharge from the Imperial Service. One of his last expeditions was to assist in the recovery of the victims of the White Cliffs Massacre in 1869.

Evening Post, 20 May 1911, Page 5
The death occurred at the Auckland Veterans' Home this week of Michael O'Donnell, a native of Tipperary, who saw active service with the 87th Regiment in the Indian Mutiny, and was granted the Indian Mutiny medal. Deceased came out to New Zealand in 1866, and resided in Otago for many years. He was admitted to the Auckland Veterans' Home four years ago, at the age of 75.

Evening Post, 11 August 1911 OBITUARY.
SYDNEY, 10th August. The death is announced of an Imperial Army veteran, Mr. Joseph Cash, at the age of 82 years. As a sergeant in the 43rd Regiment he fought in the Indian Mutiny, and afterwards through the Maori war, receiving a medal for bravery.

Evening Post, 8 March 1913, Page 9
Mr. George Cunningham, who, has been a resident of Point Molyneaux for the past thirty-six years, died on Wednesday night at the age of 74. As a young man he served in the British Army and took part in the Indian Mutiny under General Whitelock, who captured Budaon on 19th April 1858. The deceased possessed the Mutiny medal. He was a noted draughts player: in the opinion of some experts One. of the best in the world, and on the occasion of the Herd Laddie's visit to New Zealand Mr. Cunningham met him on equal terms at the checkered board and beat him.

Evening Post, 12 January 1914
AUCKLAND, 10th January. Colonel Maillard Noake, a well-known veteran, died this morning at Epsom, aged eighty-four years. When only sixteen he went from a boarding school and joined a cavalry regiment in the South of Ireland. There he was witness of the fearful famine and the Smith O'Brien affair. His next appearance was in Yorkshire during the Chartist riots, but real service started when his regiment formed part of the heavy brigade at the Crimea during the war with Russia, in an unsuccessful defence of the advanced redoubt by the Turkish troops. The regiment to which Colonel Noake belonged was supporting, and he had his horse wounded and his sword and scabbard broken by a bursting shell fired by the Russians. He was also present with the heavy brigade in the charge that repulsed the Russian attack on Balaclava. The celebrated charge of the Light Brigade was supported by the Scots Greys to which Colonel Noake then belonged. He had his sword knocked out of his hand, a revolver torn from his side, and a leg smashed in this business, and, although he received a medal for distinguished conduct in the field, his wound unfortunately caused him to be invalided home and discharged. Some time afterwards he was presented with a commission in a militia regiment in Ireland. He was riding master, and was then appointed to a military train. A few months later the Indian mutiny broke out and Colonel Noake was sent out with the new regiment to Calcutta. In 1863 Colonel Noake came to New Zealand, and was appointed captain in the militia and transferred to the Defence Department, Wellington. Later he commanded a force in Rangitikei, and at the close of the Waikato war was appointed Resident Magistrate of the Upper Wanganui district. During the war at Wanganui, Colonel Noake was appointed adjutant, and later given command of the district. He conducted an expedition after the rebel Natives up the Waitotara river, and, later at Whenuakura and Patea rivers, captured the Pukekohe tribe and the chief Tauro, sending in 180 prisoners. The Colonel rendered other good service. Of late years he resided at Epsom.

The Times April 07, 1914
Empson : Gore Browne - On the 14th March at Jhansi, India, Arthur Hugh Acland Empson, of the 8th Cavalry, son of Mr and Mrs Empson, of Mount Peel, New Zealand, to Dorothy Carlyon Gore Browne, daughter of the Rev. Thirlwall Gore Browne, Rector of Fawley, Hants.

Evening Post, 27 August 1914, Page 6
Another of the Taranaki war veterans passed away at the New Plymouth Hospital on Monday in the person of Mr. Matthew Watson. Ho was born in Huntingdon, England, in 1830, and as a young man enlisted in the 3lst Highlanders, being afterwards transferred to the 67th Regiment (the "Diehards"). With that regiment he took part in the Crimean War (1854-6), including Balaclava, Inkerman, and Sevastopol. Subsequently he saw service with the British and French forces under General Bazaine, which resulted in the capture of Kimbourn, and afterwards with the "Diehards" in the Indian Mutiny. In 1861 he arrived in New Zealand, and took part in the Maori War in Taranaki with the 57th. On receiving his discharge he settled in Taranaki, being for the greater part of his time in the Oakura district, where he farmed in a small way. He leaves seven sons and seven daughters.

Evening Post, 7 May 1915, Page 6
The late Mr. James Grover, whose death occurred at his residence in Moxham-avenue, Kilbirnie, recently, was every much respected by a large circle of friends. He was one of Wellington's early settlers, arriving here from London in the ship Carlvale forty-two years ago. He had been a resident of Kilbirnie for thirty-one years. He was a member of the Veterans' Association, having seen service in the Indian Mutiny. Mr. Grover joined the lodge in 1875.

Evening Post, 2 August 1915, Page 6
The death is reported of one of Ormondville's pioneer settlers, Mr. W. H. Beale, aged 75 years. The late Mr Beale, who joined the British Navy at the age of 14 years, was in action in the Indian Mutiny, and held a good conduct medal and also a Queen Victoria, medal for service in the Persian War. The late Mr. Beale was married in 1863, and emigrated to New Zealand, arriving in Napier in 1875. Deceased, save for a year at Waipawa, had resided at Ormondville until his death, in company with his wife, six children, his sister (Mrs. Groom), and the late Mr. R. R. Groom, being the first settlers to take up residence in Ormondville. He is survived by his wife and sister (Mrs. R. R Groom, Ormondville) and six children, including Mr. W. H. Beale (Wellington), and Mrs. Stewart (Wellington).

Evening Post, 21 September 1915, Page 6
The death occurred at the Chatham Islands recently of Mr. Denis Murphy, the oldest settler on the islands. He was born in Ireland, and was 91 years of age. After spending a number of years in New Zealand, he went to the Chathams, where he took up land for sheep fanning purposes, and resided there for 51 years. He served for many years under General Chute, and went through the Indian Mutiny and Maori wars. Mr. Murphy brought up a family of twelve children, seven of whom are still living on the Chatham Islands. His wife died thirteen years ago.

The Times Thursday, Mar 09, 1933
A marriage has been arranged, and will take place in India on April 15, between Captain Edmund Stanley Sayers Lucas, I.M.S., British Legation, Kabul, Afghanistan, and Miss Gwendolyn Orlebar, adopted daughter of Mrs Cotsford Burdon, South Canterbury, NZ.

The Times Saturday, May 05, 1945
Death. McArthur - On May 2, 1945, at Geraldine, S. Canterbury, NZ. Capt. Archibald W. McArthur, Royal Indian Marine (retired).

Auckland Weekly News = AWN May be researched on microfilm at the Auckland Public Library.

AWN 5th November 1914
STEELE Killed in Action - 25 Oct 1914, Capt Oliver STEELE, Royal Berkshire Regt, eldest son of Mr T J Steele, Arney Road, Remuera, Auckland.  The intimation from the War Office included a message from Earl KITCHENER.  Capt Steele served in the Boer War and in India. 

AWN 15th July 1915 Roll of Honour
DREWET Killed in Action 25 April 1915 at Dardenelles, Gunner Oliver Hawkes Drewet, 16th Waikato Machine Gun Section, 5th s/o T & M Drewet, Weka Weka, Hokianga, late Bombay, India.

AWN 19th August 1915 Death:
YOUNG 8 Aug 1915 at Kaukapakapa, John Edward Simon, youngest s/o late Dr Young of the Honourable East India Co's service, aged 67.

AWN 14th October 1915 p.17
SMITH, John Robert - veteran of the siege at Lucknow, died last week at his residence, St Stephens Ave, Parnell, aged 83. He arrived in the '70's and was 25 yrs manager of St Stephen's Native Boys' School. A native of Lincolnshire, he jointed the Army about 16 or 17 yrs of age. He was in the 32nd Regt, Light Infantry, now the Duke of Cornwall's LI. He was the holder of two medals for active service in Afghanistan and India and was twice wounded in the defence of Lucknow. After being invalided home he acted as Recruiting Officer for two years then held a position in St Bartholomew's Hospital for 13 years.

AWN 25 March 1915 p.55
HEWETT, Pte Douglas Selwood, 16th, Waikato, Auckland Infantry Battn, died on 21 March of pneumonia. NOK: M S Hewett, Bombay, India.

AWN 27th May 1915p.18
LOVELL, L/Cpl James, Samoan Relief Force, has died from pleurisy & cardiac complications. Born England 27 June 1874, 7 yrs in 1st & 2nd Border Regts......ex sailor employed by Union Steam Ship Co. NOK: Brother, William Lovell, Calcutta, India.

AWN 17 June 1915
McMILLAN, Private Robert - 22yrs of age, was stated to be killed in action on 25 April. Born in Bradford, England, and with his parents came to NZ about two years ago. Since then he was employed by the Auckland Harbour Board. He was a son of Mr John McMillan, caretaker of the Normal School, who saw service in India during the Afghan war. Pte McMillan's grandfather, Mr John Perry, who died at Bradford a few months ago, fought through the Maori war, particularly in the Taranaki district, and also served through the Afghan campaign.

AWN 13 July 1916
De TOURRET, Lieutenant - Mr E de Tourret of Whangarei has received word that his brother had died of wounds at Salonika on 12 May. He had served with the British Army since the outbreak of war. He had just arrived from India on leave when the war commenced and was at once called to rejoin his regiment. He had had 14 years military experience. Mr de Tourret has two other brothers at the front.

AWN 15 March 1917
CARTER, Corporal Alfred Chilton - The Tsar of Russia has conferred the silver medal of St George, third-class, upon Cpl Carter of the Auckland Mounted Rifles, who left NZ with the main body of the Expeditionary Force in October 1914. He is a son of Mr F R Carter of Honikiwi near Otorohanga and grandson of the late Captain John C L Carter of Hawkes Bay who served in India as a Captain of the 53rd Regt of Foot and in 1863 was Superintendent of Hawkes Bay Province. Cpl Carter passed through the Gallipoli campaign without a scratch and has had the same good luck in the operations in which he has since taken part. [AWN 15.03.1917]

AWN 5 July 1917
FARRINGTON, Driver Maurice C, comes from a fighting family, practically all of his male relatives having served at some time or other in the Imperial Army or Royal Navy. He was born in India 41 years ago and shortly after his arrival in NZ he engaged in farming at Levin. Later he took up his residence in Auckland where, in 1913, he started in business as a motor importer and mechanic. He enlisted early in 1915 and proceeded to the front as an infantryman, holding the rank of Corporal. After seeing service at Gallipoli he was transferred to France, where he was attached to the Army Service Corps, being engaged driving a motor-ambulance.

New Zealand place names with India connections:

Auckland                     Viceroy. Earl of Auckland
Berhampore                 Bengal
Bombay Hills
Bulwer                         Viceroy. Lord Bulwer-Lytton 1876-80
Cashmere                     Kashmir- a state in India
Clive                             Robert Clive
Clyde                           Gen. Sir Colin Campbell. 1st Baron Clyde
Cornwallis                    Viceroy
Elgin                            Viceroy, Earl of Elgin
Havelock                     General Sir Henry Havelock
Hastings                       Warren Hastings, Viceroy
Khyber Pass Rd         The road takes you up the hill from Newmarket to Karangahape Road, in Auckland.
Lawrence                    Sir Henry Lawrence
Lockett Range             Major John Lockett, Indian Army
Meeanee                    A town.
Outram                       Col. James Outram, Mutiny & Oudh
Pyes Pa (fort)              Capt Pye, VC. Relief of Lucknow
Temple Basin              Capt Edwin Temple, 1879 from India.   Mount Temple

Napier  In 1854 February Alfred Domett, Commissioner of Crown Lands, and resident magistrate at Ahuriri requested that the port town be named in honour of Sir Charles Napier, the hero of the Battle of Meeanee in the Indian province of Scinde. When he laid out the first town plan of Napier he named the principal town roads and streets and a square after the most prominent men in British Indian history e.g. Clive Square, Hastings, Hardinge, Wellesley and Scinde Island  to commemorate the great colonial era of the British Indian Empire. Or streets after poets  - Tennyson, Emerson, Dickens, Shakespeare, and Browning, his friend.

Lucknow, India came under British control in 1856. Associated with the Indian Mutiny when 1,200 men held out against 10,000 mutineers until relief came through re-enforcements brought by Havelock and Outram.

Captain E.F. Temple 1835-1921: Born in England the son of Lieutenant Colonel John Temple. Edwyn was educated at Rugby School.  Captain Edwyn Frederick Temple was a military man, a Captain in the 55th Foot (Westmoreland) Regiment, in 1858 who fought in the Crimean War, where he was wounded in the hip by cannon fire and served in India from 1864 to 1866. He arrived in Lyttelton on 25 October 1879 on the 'Rangitiki'.  In 1882 'The Captain' started farming at 'Castlewood' near Geraldine which he had purchased the previous year and continued farming and painting for three decades before retiring to Timaru. He is known for his fine oil painting "Storming of the Martiniere, Lucknow"1858 held at the Christchurch Art Gallery.

Evening Post, 19 January 1901
The Imperial Contingent now in Australia, and about to visit New Zealand, is composed as under: — Commanding Officer — Lieut.-Col. W. G. Crole Wyndham, C.B. (21st Lancers). The Indian detachment comprises representatives of the 18th Bengal Lancers, Queen's Own Corps of Guides (cavalry), 16th Bengal Cavalry, l0th Bengal Cavalry, 11th Bengal Cavalry, 12th Bengal Cavalry, 9th Bengal Lancers, 13th Bengal Lancers, 14th Bengal Lancers, 15th Bengal Lancers, 17th Bengal Lancers, Central India Horse, 1st Madras Lancers, 2nd Madras Lancers, 1st Hyderabad Contingent, 3rd Hyderabad Contingent, 4th Hyderabad Contingent, 1st Bombay Lancers, 2nd Bombay Lancers, 4th Bombay Cavalry, 3rd Punjaub Cavalry, 5th Punjaub Cavalry, Viceroy's Body Guard, Imperial Service Cavalry, Queen's Own Corps of Guides (infantry), 11th Bengal Infantry, 40th Bengal Infantry, 16th Jats Bengal Infantry, 1st Punjaub Infantry, 19th Punjaub Infantry, 21st Punjaub Infantry, 29th Punjaub Infantry, 33rd Punjaub Infantry, 3rd Sikhs, 36th Sikhs, 37th Dogras, 38th Dogras, 1st Ghoorkhas, 5th Ghoorkhas, 46rd Ghoorkhas, Queen's Own Marines (sappers and miners), 4th Madras Pioneers, 10th Burma Rifles, 15th Madras Infantry, 17th Madras Infantry, 19th Madras Infantry, 22nd Madras Infantry, 1st Bombay Grenadiers, 2nd Bombay Grenadiers, 10th Bombay Light Infantry, 16th Bombay Light Infantry, 19th Bombay Light Infantry, 23rd Bombay Rifles, 2nd Infantry Hyderabad Contingent, 3rd Infantry Hyderabad Contingent, 6th Infantry Hyderabad Contingent, 4th Cashmere Imperial Infantry, Sirmoor Sappers and Miners, Ferezapore Arsenal, Rawulpundi Arsenal, Cawnpore Arsenal, and Poona Arsenal.

Evening Post, 25 February 1901, Page 5
The journey from New Plymouth of the company of the Indians who had gone thither from Napier was commenced, early yesterday morning, and at every stopping-place between the Taranaki port and Wellington large crowds assembled and gave the dark-skinned "soldiers of the King" a hearty welcome. The Premier and Mrs. Seddon were with the party. Wanganui was reached shortly before 1 p.m., and almost the whole of the townspeople, with hundreds of visitors from the surrounding district, turned out to do honour to the occasion. The contingent left the train at the Maria-place crossing, and, headed by a band, marched via Nelson-street to the railway station. The road to the railway station was lined by the local volunteers, and Lieut.-Colonel Watt and Lieut. - Colonel Sommerville there also present. Refreshment tables were laid out in. the railway station, and a liberal supply of the frugal fare which the troops appreciate was supplied and much enjoyed. There were also among the crowd a large number of Maori war veterans, many of them wearing their war medals, and they were not slow to fraternise with their brethren from the Indian army. After a stay of about an hour the train, with the men on board, moved off to the strains of "Auld Lang Syne," played by the local band. The arrival of the train at Wellington had been fixed for 9.20 p.m., and long before that hour, despite the cold wind that was blowing, quite a crowd of people assembled on Jervois-quay to witness the detraining of the troops. The welcomes along the line had, however, been drawn out longer than had been anticipated, and it was nearly an hour after the expected time that the train drew up opposite the Dalhousie.
The troopship Dalhousie was the centre of attraction throughout yesterday for hundreds of people. The native officer for the day was Subadahr Venkatachelum, of the 4th Madras Pioneers, an affable officer who speaks English rather well. He was kept engaged in conversation by relays of visitors, whose questions must have caused him no end of amusement, although he was good enough, not to show it. Active operations were in progress at two cookhouses, and the manipulation of the various ingredients by the Indian cooks was closely watched. The grinding of the curry stuff on granite slabs, the pounding of the rice, and the mixing of a variety of condiments attracted an interested crowd.
Morning on the troopship. The Representative Corps has a following of fully 100 servants, all of whom were busily engaged between decks this morning furbishing up accoutrements, saddlery, and horse trappings, polishing boots, and performing a hundred and one duties in preparation for the afternoon's display. There was much jabbering in many dialects, whilst some sang as they polished. The sights were strange to New Zealanders who caught a glimpse of the passing show on shipboard. Among the visitors on board the Dalhousie this morning were several old colonials who wear the Mutiny medal. One of these went round the ship looking for some one who was old enough to have been at Delhi. At length he got below, and opposite the cabin of the Captain of the 5th Ghurkas. "There, sleeping within," said a Lieutenant of the Madias Cavalry, pointing to the cabin, "is an old man with many medals." "Does he wear one like this?" asked the colonial veteran, showing his Mutiny "bit of silver." "Ye, he does," was the reply. "Then wake him up," cried the other excitedly — "wake him up and tell him that an old Delhi comrade would see him." But the Indian standing round only smiled. "He sleeps, and he is old," said the Lieutenant. "He was Lord Roberts's orderly at Kandahar." But the veteran managed to get his interview, and for a brief, space fought his battles o'er again with the Ghurkas.
The rain at Napier on Friday was such that the decorations erected in honour of the Indian troops are described as "all in vain," This colony was young at the time of the Crimea War and The Indian Mutiny, but names associated with India have been perpetuated in our geographical nomenclature, whereas hardly a single Russian name from Sebaslopol suggests itself. The Hawkes Bay Herald collects a few Indian names in its immediate neighbourhood: — "We have Scinde Island as the stretch of land upon which we are domiciled, with such names as the townships of Hastings, Olive, Havelock, Meanee, to remind us of India's past, while the capital of the province itself bears the name of one who did much to maintain the prestige of Britain in India - Napier. Then we have in our neighbourhood Lucknow-terrace, Hyderabad-road, and numerous other names associated with the country from which our visitors come, so that of all towns in the colony we should have double pleasure in the visit of troops that make us reflect on our early colonisation. This recalls Kbyber-Pass also our own Khandallah, on the Manawatu line, which is said to have been thus named by an old Indian officer on account of its altitude. The cold weather experienced since the Indian troops left Napier has taken some of the gilt off the trip. One member was I heard to remark: that he would not care to live in this country even if they doubled his pay — it was too cold. The train journey from Napier to Wellington was greatly spoilt for the Indian visitors by the wet weather, and the cold did not add to their comfort. One native officer, remarking on the trip, said the people everywhere were very kind, and the offerings of lemonade were plentiful, but it was "too cold to drink ice-water," and he for one had nothing to eat or drink until he reached the troopship at night. Captain Campbell, one of the officers of the Contingent, was presented by the Mayor of New Plymouth, on behalf of admirers, with a handsome kiwi mat, also with a honeysuckle stick. Colonel Dadbha was presented with a greenstone earring. Not since leaving Auckland have the Indian troops had an opportunity of doing any shopping. The men hoped to have been able to make some purchases in Wellington, but closed shops have met them since their arrival on Saturday evening. No leave was granted this morning, and this afternoon the shops will be closed, and when, the parade is over the men must make ready for sailing to Nelson.

President's Palace. Taken by Kim, Oct. 2005.


The Auckland War Memorial Museum has a set of the ACJP microfilms relating to this regiment, covering the period 1860 to 1867, from the time a regiment left India to come to NZ until it went to sea to return to UK. The book 'Discharged in NZ' contains the details of these films, the ships they travelled on and also of soldiers who took their discharge in NZ (8 pages of names).

British India Society
India Office Records
India Office Family History Search
Family History in India
India Mailing List = Indian born British 1860-1940?? The father was a British subject in the Army

Pondichry is a seaport on the southeast (Coromandel) coast of India. The territory was purchased by the French in 1872. Pondichry fell to the British in 1761, only to be returned to France two years later by the Treaty of Paris. The British were again in possession during 1778-1783 and 1793-1802 and 1803-1816. The Worthington's came out to NZ indirectly from England, to Pondichry, India to Mauritius to Guernsey to  Otago to South Canterbury where they are found today.

Presidency of Marriage Madras  1859
Worthington, Victor W E  to Vinsaux,  Maria A
Source Information: Volume Number 40, Folio 28, LDS Film Reference 521850

Madras Marriage Index
Presidency of Marriage Madras 1869
LePeltier, M J F A to Worthington, Marie A

Alexander Groves Duff and Maria Bonar. Alexander was a medical doctor b. 1834 Calcutta, India to Alexander Duff D.D. and his wife Ann Scott Drysdale. He married in Edinburgh Maria Bonar. He had a distinguished career in India during the Indian Mutiny and died 1909 at Palmerston, New Zealand. Four children.

New Zealand/India connections
We do have some illustrious members of the Raj who have New Zealand connections? 

The Rev. J.M. ADCOCK, M.A., Vicar of Temuka, was born in Tamworth, Staffordshire, England, and received his education at Tamworth grammar school. He came to New Zealand in 1889, studied under the late Bishop Suter, and was ordained deacon in 1890. and priest in 1892, when he was appointed vicar of Brightwater and Waimea West. In 1899 he went to India as secretary to the British and Foreign Bible society After his return to New Zealand he was curate to Archdeacon Harper at Timaru, until he entered on his charge at Temuka in 1902.

Southern Cross, 10 December 1863
Funeral of Lieut.-Col. Charles Wilson Austen, Commanding 2nd Battalion, 14th Regiment, Died 7th December, 1863, of wounds received in action. Aged 48 years. He was shot in the thigh. Lockjaw was the cause of death. He entered the army as Ensign in the 83rd Regiment on 14th December 1838; he became a Lieutenant on the 15th December 1840; Captain on the 1st December 1848; Major on the 16th May 1856; and Lieutenant-Colonel on 26th Oct. 1858. While in this regiment he served during the suppression of the Indian Mutiny, including the affair of Sanganeer on the 8th August, 1858, and in the defeat of the Gwalior rebels at Kotaria; and he commanded the head-quarters of the regiment at the surprise and attack on the rebels at Seckur, on the 21st January, 1859, for which he received a medal. He was a schoolfellow of Sir George Grey at the Military College, Sandhurst. On the 10th June, 1862, he was transferred to the 14th Regiment for service in new Zealand, arrived some time during the end of last year., and was engaged in the last Taranaki war. He led the attack at Koheroa, assisted by the late Captain Phelps and Captains Strange and McIver, and he was wounded in the arm. He commanded the post at Whangamarino until the advance was made on Meremere. The grave will close today over a gallant soldier. Buried at the Auckland cemetery, NZ. Southern Cross, 31 December 1863 pg9

A.V.. HUTCHINSON, Sheepfarmer, Kakahu, Geraldine. Mr Hutchinson was born in India in 1869, and educated at the Military College, Oxford, England. He came to New Zealand in 1896 in the s.s. "Kaikoura," and served as a cadet on Mount Peel and Orari stations.  Mr Hutchinson was married in 1896, to Miss Buchanan, of Little River, a daughter of one Canterbury's earliest and most prominent settlers. Reference: Cyclopedia of New Zealand, Canterbury edition. Vol. 3 pages 896-897 Published 1903

Richard PELVIN (1821 Gravel Pits, Kensington - 1902 Timaru) Educated in England, he joined the army January 1837 and in October sailed as a guard on the convict ship 'Moffat' to join his regiment quartered at Sydney. Later duty took him to Norfolk Island. In 1841 sent to India, rank now full corporal and did not return until 1853 to England. He served next in Malta during the Crimean war (rank Sergeant) before returning to serve in both England and Ireland. He married in 1856 Elizabeth Beake ( 1825 Somerset - 1914 Timaru) and on applying for army discharge 1/7/1863. The Pelvins and their four children under 6yrs immediately left from Kent to sail to New Zealand on the 'Lancashire Witch'.

Percy Ashton Elworthy b.1881 Timaru m. Bertha Victoria Julius (b.1886) 1908. Her parents were Churchill Julius b. in Richmond, Surrey, UK and Alice Frances Rowlandson b. c1845 in Madras, India.

THOMAS, Lieutenant-Colonel Charles Ernest, 3/118A New Zealand Medical Corps, Main Body NZEF.  Born Bangalore, India. Doctor, of Sophia Street, Timaru. NOK: Mrs Mildred Julia Thomas (nee Rhodes) (wife), Sophia Street, Timaru. Son of H. Thomas, of Devon, England. Killed in action at Hill 60, northern Anzac, Gallipoli, Turkey, on 28 August 1915. According to the Cheltenham College school records he was born on 31 January 1864, the son of Henry S. Thomas of the Indian Civil Service. On his return from South Africa he became Port Health Officer for Timaru on 11 August 1903. The doctor was the brigade surgeon of the Timaru St John Ambulance Brigade and the port and fire brigade doctor. There is an entry in the 1881 English census for `Charles C Thomas' b. 1864, who was a boarder at Wimbledon School, where many of the other pupils were also Indian-born. Suspect the C is a mistranscribing of the letter E.

The following notes were extracted from an essay on J C Wilson in Dictionary of New Zealand Biography, Vol 2  pp602-3
“Sir John Cracroft WILSON was born in Mangalore in the Madras Presidency of India in May 1808. He was sent to the East India College at Haileybury and entered Oxford in 1826. He joined the Indian Civil Service in Bengal, and became magistrate at Cawnpore (Kanpur) and Moradabad. Due to failing health he left India in October 1853, sailing from Calcutta with his wife and daughter, a retinue of Indian attendants, and an assortment of exotic livestock, including an Arab horse, birds, game, plants and seeds.  In Melbourne he chartered a ship and took on sheep cattle and horses.  This Noah’s ark arrived in Lyttelton in April 1854.  Wilson purchased the swamp at the foot of the Port Hills and began the hard work of draining the land. He named the property Cashmere. Wilson returned to India in December 1854 and took up the position of judge at Moradabad. He was knighted for his services and bravery during the mutiny in 1857.  He resigned from the service in 1859 and returned to Canterbury, this time with his servants, 52 horses, two hares and a Bokhara jackass. ‘Nabob’ Wilson died at his home in Cashmere in 1881, known for his honesty and straight dealing, a colourful figure, with a reputation for paying low wages.”

Evening Post, 21 January 1911, Page 6 OBITUARY
Mr. Alexander Cracroft Wilson, Register of Canterbury College, died to-day aged 70. The late Mr. Wilson was born at Cawnpore, India, in 1840. He was a son of the late Sir John Cracroft Wilson, and married a daughter of Mr. W. H. Munro, Auckland. Soon after his arrival at Lyttelton, in the ship Cresswell, he joined the Bank of New Zealand retiring when manager at Lyttelton in 1871. Then he was in business as a merchant in Christchurch for about twenty years. In. 1891 be was appointed Registrar of Canterbury College.

Name: John Cracroft WILSON
Event type: Birth
Date: 21 May 1808
Location: Mangalore, Canara
Parents: Alexander, Esq.; Elizabeth Clementina
Notes: Haileybury 1828
Name: John Cracroft WILSON
Event type: Baptism
Date: 17 Jul 1808
Location: Mangalore, Canara
Parents: Alexander, Esq.; Elizabeth Clementina
Notes: Haileybury 1828
Transcribed by: British Library India Office Records
Reference: J/1/45 f.242
Name: William Cracroft WILSON
Event type: Birth
Date: 30 Oct. 1830
Location: St Thomas, Dacca
Parents: John Cracroft, civil service; Elizabeth
Event type: Baptism
Date: 25 Dec. 1830
Location: St Thomas, Dacca
Parents: John Cracroft, civil service; Elizabeth
Transcribed by: British Library India Office
Records Reference: N/1/26 f.419
Presidency: Bengal
Name: John Cracroft WILSON
Event type: 2nd Marriage
Start date: 12 Oct. 1844
Location: Bareilly
Spouse: Jane Torrie GREIG, 20
Status: Widower, Ben CS
Parents: Alexander
Transcribed by: British Library India Office Records
Reference: N/1/66 f.209
Presidency: Bengal
Name: Alexander Cracroft WILSON
Event type: Birth
Date: 05 March 1840
Location: Cawnpore
Parents: John Cracroft, magistrate; Elizabeth
Event type: Baptism
Date: 21 April 1840
Location: Cawnpore
Parents: John Cracroft, magistrate; Elizabeth
Presidency: Bengal
Name: Clive Winthorpe Cracroft WILSON
Event type: Biography
Start year: End date: 12 Nov. 1918
Biographical notes: CRACROFT-WILSON, Lt. Clive Winthorpe. 4th Bn. South Wales Borderers. Died of influenza 12th Nov., 1918. Age 35. Son of the late Mr. and Mrs. Alex. Cracroft-Wilson, of Christchurch, NZ. 1648.; St Sepulchre's, Poona
Transcribed by: British Library India Office Records
Source name: Commonwealth War Graves Commission register

Many British army people in India spent leave in India and some settled in New Zealand after being discharged from the army. When the men had finished their time in New Zealand many were merely transferred back to England or Australia or India when the regiment was transferred back - where ever they were needed. Some took their discharge here in NZ.  Some ended up in England after service overseas as they were "sent home" due to illness.

British Library India Office Records search
Event type: Biography
End date: 03 Jun  1916
Biographical notes: ADLAM, A.B. V., N.Z.F/25. H.M.S. "Philomel." R.N. (New Zealand Div.). Son of Mrs. Clara Mary Adlam, of Templeton, Christchurch, New Zealand. 3rd June, 1916. XIV. J. 3.; Sewri Cemetery, Bombay
Transcribed by: British Library India Office Records
Source name: Commonwealth War Graves Commission Register

Name: William Henry Goldney BAKER
Event type: Biography
Start year: 1888 End date: End year: 1964
Biographical notes: Lt-Gen Sir, Indian Army; b 17 Dec 1888 Christchurch, New Zealand, s/o Henry Goldney, farmer, & Edith Julia (n้e Luke);

Name: Alexander BLAKE
Event type: Burial
Date: 30 Aug. 1920
Location: Bangalore, (C. of S.)
Age: 84
Status: Minister of the Presbyterian Church of New Zealand
Transcribed by: British Library India Office Records
Presidency: Madras

Name: Charles BOULTON
Event type: Death
Date: 27 April 1860
Location: Motueka, nr Nelson, New Zealand
Status: Maj, Ben Invalid

Name: Noel Buchanan DANIEL
Event type: Burial
Date: 30 March 1943
Location: Bhagalpur
Age: 25
Status: Pilot Officer, R.N.Z.A.F. NZ.
Presidency: Bengal

Name: Herbert Main DOBBIE
Event type: Biography
Start year: 1818 End date: End year: 1854
Biographical notes: Madras Army, b 31 Dec 1818, d 24 Mar 1854; m Ellen 1843 (b 1819, d 24 Jun 1903); Ellen Goodrich b 18 Feb 1844; Bertha Virginia b 25 Jul 1847; Stanley Locker b 19 Dec 1848; Mary Beatrice b 22 Dec 1850, murdered in New Zealand; 25 Nov 1880; Herbert Boucher b 13 Feb 1852; Hugh b 31 Dec 1853

Name: Donald Taple EADE
Event type: Birth
Date: 31 July 1929
Location: Calcutta
Parents: Burnards Nansen, British, New Zealand Christian Missionary; Louis Augusta, (American Christian)
Notes: Reg. 6 Feb 1930
Presidency: Bengal

Name: Arthur Hope Ackland EMPSON
Event type: Biography
Start date: 26 July 1886 End year: 1964
Biographical notes: Brig, Indian Army; IOR Biographical File; b 26 Jul & bap 4 Sep 1886 Wargarin, New Zealand, son of Walter, schoolmaster, & Agnes Duke L/MIL/9/306 ff. 150-51
Source name: IOR Biographical

Name: John GEORGE
Event type: Death
Date: 17 Jan. 1989
Location: Morrinsville, New Zealand
Age: 80
Status: Maj, Guides Cav (ret)

Name: John Hugh GREEN
Event type: Death
Date: 05 May 1892
Location: Gisborne, New Zealand
Status: Col, CB, SC

Name: Thomas HARE
Event type: Birth
Date: 26 July 1885
Location: Invercargill, New Zealand
Parents: Alfred Richard, sheep farmer, 36, from London; Alice Emily O'Gilvy (nee MILLER) 24, from Elson, Gosport, Hants
Event type: Marriage
Start date: 02-Sep 1884
Location: Wiltshire

Name: George Barton Perkins IRELAND
Event type: Birth
Date: 18 July 1871
Location: Parnell, Auckland, New Zealand
Parents: Barton, merchant; Mary Clarissa (nee PERKINS)

Name: Alexander IRVINE
Event type: Death
Date: 08 July 1890
Location: Dunedin, New Zealand
Status: Maj-Gen (ret), Ben SC

Name: Gwilym Gregory JAMES
Event type: Biography
End date:19 Dec. 1919
Biographical notes: JAMES, Maj. Gwilym Gregory. Indian Medical Service, attd. Mil. Hosp., Karina. 19th Dec., 1919. Age 35. Son of William Bowen James and Alice Susan James, of Upland Rd., Remuera, Auckland, New Zealand. XII. B. 1. M. B. Baghdad (North Gate) war cemetery
Source name: Commonwealth War Graves Commission Register

Name: Robert Morris JONES
Event type: Burial
Date: 25 Nov. 1942
Location: Risalpur
Age: 23
Status: Pilot Officer, NZ.
Presidency: Bengal

Name: Deborah Lucy Irene MURDOCH
Event type: Birth
Date: 06 November 1942
Location: Patna
Parents: J.D., (New Zealand Pres.) medical profession; E.E., (Brit.C.of E.)
Event type: Baptism Date: 07 Jan. 1946, Patna

Name: Reuben McCarthy NEWMAN
Event type: Biography
End date: 23 Nov. 1918
Biographical notes: NEWMAN, Lt. Reuben McCarthy. I. A. Reserve of Officers, attd. 3rd/2nd King Edward's Own Gurkha Rifles (The Sirmoor Rifles). 23rd Nov., 1918. Age 24. Son of William Abraham and Annie Newman, of 51, Patrick St., Mornington, Dunedin, New Zealand. Served with Samoan Advance Party and 2nd Bn. Otago Regt. N. Z. E. F. 151.; Abbottabad cemetery
Source name: Commonwealth War Graves Commission Register

Name: Amelda Grace PETERSON
Event type: Marriage
Start date: 16 Aug. 1941
Location: Christ Church, Simla
Spouse: Robert Hunter WADE, sec., N.Z. Section Eastern Group, Supply Council
Age: 21
Parents: Peter Jens  Parents: Robert Hunter, (dec.)
Presidency: Bengal

Name: Wynne Dudley RAYMOND
Event type: Biography
End date: 26 Oct,. 1918
Biographical notes: RAYMOND, Lt. Wynne Dudley. 2nd Lancers (Gardner's Horse), attd. Mysore Lancers. Mentioned in Despatches. Killed in action at Aleppo 26th Oct., 1918. Age 22. Son of I. W. and Sara Raymond, of 42, Carlisle Mansions, Westminster, London. Volunteered in 1914, proceeded to France in June, 1915. Born in New Zealand. 137.; Beirut Br War Cem.
Source name: Commonwealth War Graves Commission Register

Name: John Larkins Cheese RICHARDSON
Event type: Biography
Start year: 1810End date: End year: 1878
Biographical notes: Maj, Bengal Art; Hodson III p.646; Sir, Speaker of New Zealand Assembly; Dictionary of National Biography; b 4 Aug & bap 10 Sep 1810 Calcutta, s of Robert, Bengal CS, & Mary Anne; L/MIL/9/166 ff.413-20; N/1/8 f.284; m 15 Feb 1834 Agra, Charlotte 3rd dau of James Bruce LAING, Bengal CS; N/1/39 f.3; d 6 Dec 1878 Dunedin, Otago, NZ
Source name: Hodson III p.646

Name: William SELBY
Event type: Biography
Start year: 1869 End date: End year: 1916
Biographical notes: Lt-Col, IMS (Bengal); Crawford p.230; b 16 Jun 1869 Dunedin, NZ, son of Prideaux, bank manager, & Rose Anne Wise; L/MIL/9/418 ff.239-44 - Surg 1894; SELBY, Lt. Col. William, D. S. O. Indian Medical Service (p.M. O. King George's Hospital, Lucknow). 8th Sept., 1916. Age 47. Son of Prideaux and Rose Anne Selby; husband of the late Lily Selby (nee Benjamin). Served in Chitral Campaign (1895), and on North West Frontier (1897-8). (Attd. p.W. O. Gurkhas at Dargai and through Tirah Campaign.) V. I. 5.; Who was Who II p.945; Lucknow Cantt Mil Cem.

Name: Edward SIMEON
Event type: Death
Date: 11 July 1898
Location: Gisbourne, New Zealand
Status: Lt-Col, RA (retd)

Name: Alister Morphett SUTHERLAND
Event type: Biography
End date: 28 Aug. 1920
Biographical notes: SUTHERLAND, Lt. Alister Morphett. New Zealand Staff Corps, attd. 21st (E. of I.) Lancers. Died of enteric, 28th Aug., 1920. Son of Thomas Crosbie Sutherland and Bessey Sutherland, of Manaia Rd., Taranaki, New Zealand. 11. 223.; Meerut cantonment cemetery.
Source name: Commonwealth War Graves Commission Register

Name: William TAYLOR
Event type: Biography
Start date: 02 Dec. 1790 End date: 27 June. 1868
Biographical notes: Lt-Gen, EICS; b 2 Dec 1790, s of Rev William (minister of St Enoch's, Glasgow, 1782 until he d 15 Mar 1825, b 28 Feb 1748 eldest son of John, merchant, of Crieff) & Christian (d 22 Dec 1835, d/o Richard ALLAN of Bardowie - they m 6 Mar 1786) d 27 Jun 1868 New Zealand

Name: Augustus Alfred Becher TEGNER
Event type: Biography
End date: 06 March 1918
Biographical notes: TEGNER, 2nd Lt. Augustus Alfred Becher. I. A. Reserve of Officers, attd. Supply and Transport Corps (4th Quetta Div.). 6th March 1918. Age 29. Son of Clara Tegner, of Wellington, New Zealand, and the late Louis Ferdinand Tegner. Born in London. XII. M. 4.; Baghdad (North Gate) war cemetery

Name: Kenneth Sinclair THOMSON
Event type: Biography
Start year: 1886 End date: End year: 1915
Biographical notes: Lt, 21st Cav, IA; b 7 Oct 1886 Wellington, New Zealand, son of John Sinclair, bank manager, & Annie (nee Gould) L/MIL/9/307f.88; Kia 3 Mar 1915

Air Force Band at India Gate. Taken by Kim, Oct. 2005

Archway Advanced search Records
Archives NZ Auckland probates

1927 BECKHAM Lionel Grafton - Satara, India - Colonel His Majesty's Forces
1935 CAIN Sarah - East Jodaveri, India - Widow
1936 CHEESMAN Edgar Alfred - Bangalore, India - Tea Planter
1954 CHETTIAR Mena Sena Sana Sithambaram - South India - Banker
1993 CHHIBA Uka - Sagra, Gujarat, India - Retired Farmer
1963 CLIFT Edgar - Auckland - Major India Army
1993/1954 CORBET Denis Donovan L'Estrange - Bombay India - Engineer
1955 DAVIS Arthur John - Pollibetta Coorg India
1992 DE PENNING Beryl Alice Enid - Calcutta, West Bengal, India - Widow
1902 DU MOULIN Louis Eugene - Rawalpindi, India
1921 GOCULDAS Premji - Bombay, India - Merchant
1965 HALES George Edwin - Auckland ex India - Clerk
1957 HAY William Stewart - Calcutta, India - Company Manager
1980 LONGLEY Phillip Robert Hamer - Auckland ex Jalpaiguri, West Bengal, India - Tea Planter
1937 MACDONALD Alexander James - Auckland ex London/Singapore - East India Merchant
1938 MELROSE Andrew Craik - Auckland ex India - Gardener/Tea Planter
1959 MISTRY Khan Bahadur R. D. - Bombay, India - Gentleman
1971 NARAN Ranchod - India - Storekeeper
1968 PARSOTAM Chhita - Surat, India ex Auckland - Railway Employee
1968 PATEL Chhita Parsotam - Surat, India ex Auckland - Railway Employee
1964 SINGH Bhola - Kolar, India
1955 SUTER Jacob Fred Maurice - Poona, India - Retired Merchant
1968 VALLABH Vagha - Te Kauwhata ex India - Fruiterer
1950 VERNEDE Conrad Ridsdale B. - Coonoor, Nilgiris, India - Planter
1950 VERNEDE John Beaver - Kotagiri, India

Probates - Gisborne
1913 BARKER Percival - Gisborne and Bombay, India - Sheep Farmer
1893 DESBOROUGH Laurence Vivian - Bombay, India

Whangarei Probates
1961 JENNINGS Ralph - Thames/Mangonui - Retired India Army

Hamilton probates -
1974 CHHIBA Morar - Bombay India formerly Tokaanu - Store Keeper
1972 SINGH Mela - East Punjab India - Farmer

Christchurch probate files
1912 HAWDON Kynard - India - Captain
1966 MONTEIRO Joan - Bangalore, South India - Widow

Dunedin probate and Letters of Administration files
1949 MCKELLAR Douglas Forbes - Dunedin and Bombay, India - Insurance Assistant
1950 MOORE Marion Symington - India - Widow