The ship "Magna Bona" from London to Nelson, N.Z., 1865.

NZ Bound   Index   Search   Hints    Lists   Ports

'Magna Bona'

New Zealand Bound
1865 to Nelson

Reference: 'Papers Past' - a NZ National Library website.

Nelson Examiner and New Zealand Chronicle, 23 March 1865, Page 2
Arrived March 21, ship Magna Bona, 584 tons, Tyson, from London.

Nelson Examiner and New Zealand Chronicle, 28 March 1865, Page 2
March 25, ship Magna Bona, 584 tons, Tyson, from London.

Passengers : cabin

Miss Collins
Mr. Nicholson


Miss Arnold
Mr. and Mrs. Benfield and child
Mr. and Mrs. Blazey and 1 child
Misses Browne (3)
Mr. Daly
Mr. and Mrs. Duval and 3 children
Mrs. Haunigan and 2 children
Mr. Harling
Mr. and Mrs. Jones and 4 children
Mr Leary, D. Leary, M. Leary, Miss M. Leary, Master T. Leary
Mr Mackay
Mr. M'Intyre
Mr Malcolm
Mr. Mills, Miss H. Mills
Mr Moffat
Misses Prichard (2)
Mr. and Mrs. Rees and 2 children
Mr. and Mrs. Rorte and child
Mr Ross
Mr. and Mrs. Ryan and 2 children
Mr Smith
Master Stone
Mr. Sullivan
Mr. Sutherland
Mrs. Wilkin, son and daughter

Nelson Examiner and New Zealand Chronicle, 6 April 1865, Page 3
Chandeliers for the Provincial Hall. The chandeliers ordered some time ago for the Provincial Hall, have arrived by the Magna Bona, and will, we presume be hung as soon as landed, so that the Council may have the benefit of them in the approaching session. We hope that the Government will not fail to embrace the opportunity which the hanging these chandeliers will offer, to ventilate the Hall through the roof, the omission of which was so gross a blunder of the architect when the room was built.

Recovery of the Chin Chin. the sailing boat Chin Chin, belonging to Captain Tyson, of the ship Magna Bona, lately arrived from London, was taken away on the 23rd March, by some sailors who had deserted the ship, and who, in addition to the boat, took with them a most plentiful supply of provisions, clothes, &c. It appears that the Chin Chin must have been taken hence to Massacre Bay, for on Saturday evening Mr. D. Johnston, Customs officer in charge at Collingwood, who had heard that some strange Europeans sailing in a small boat had been selling tobacco at 3s. 6d., per pound to the natives, started, accompanied by constable Steward, in search of the parties, feeling well assured that the tobacco must be contraband.

Nelson Examiner and New Zealand Chronicle, 31 December 1863, Page 2
NELSON REGATTA. Of Captain Tyson, the umpire, we must say that it is long since we had his equal in Nelson. Willing to do his best to oblige all, he placed everything he could at the service of the sailing committee, and entered his boats merely to contribute to the sport. He did more, however ; he permitted all the ladies and children who desired it to have free access to his vessel's deck and cabin, and, in addition, provided a cold collation, of which all comers were permitted freely to partake. Captain Tyson was not, of course, much on board, as he had to watch the several races, but his chief officer seemed to devote himself to the exclusive attention of the ship's visitors, and he will be long remembered by many for his urbanity on Tuesday last.

Nelson Examiner and New Zealand Chronicle, 24 November 1863, Page 2
Arrived November 21, ship Magna Bona, from London. 

The Magna Bona. This ship, with fifty-five passengers and a large general cargo for this port, arrived on Saturday last, after having occupied 109 days from land to land. She left the docks on the 29th July, discharged here pilot off Dover, on the 1st August, sighted the Lizard point on the 3rd, and was off Madeira on the 19th. Had remarkably fine weather, and but little wind as far as the Cape, having been, at times, becalmed for days. The run from the Cape here was a remarkably quick one, and was done in half the time that was occupied between England and the Cape. The first land sighted in New Zealand was the Saddle Hill, that was seen on the 20th November, at ten, a.m., the Magna Bona then fetched Separation Point by six o'clock in the evening, lay to till the morning of the 21st, and then ran down to our harbour. The Magna Bona, which is eight years old, was built as an Australian liner, and is of 1,000 tons burden. The Chili, an iron clipper vessel, bound to Otago, was frequently sighted by the Magna Bona. On the 3rd August, the latter hove to for the purpose of permitting the Chili to come up, they then kept in company for several days ; sighted each other again on the 30th August, and kept pretty much in company till the 3rd September. On the 5th November, Mrs. Bradshaw, a steerage passenger, was confined of, a boy, who was subsequently christened Magna Bona Bradshaw. The carpenter made the little stranger a cradle, on which his name was painted, and a subscription was raised for him among those on board, while Captain Tyson very considerately gave up a chief cabin for the use of Mrs. Bradshaw. The following vessels were spoken in addition to the Chili ;
August 16, ship Red Deer, from Glasgow to San Francisco, sixteen days out, all well ;
September 10, barque Brothers, bound south ;
September 11, barque City of Carlisle, for Bombay, forty-two days out ;
September 18, the American ship Cambria, from Cardiff, for Rio de Janeiro, forty days out.

Passengers per Magna Bona.

Mr. and Mrs. Andrew, and two children
Mr. Ballard
Mr. Barnes
Miss. Berryman
Mr. and Mrs. Bradshaw, and two children
Mr. and Mrs. Ferrill, and child
Mr. and Mrs. Hooking
Mr. and Mrs. Jeffries, and two sons
Mr. and Mrs. Johnson
Miss Law
Mr. Lawrey
Mr. McNaught
Miss McNaught
Mr. and Mrs. Morcom, and two sons
Mr. Oats
Mr. Palmer
Mr. Rennell
Mr. and Mrs. Reynolds, and three children
Mr. Spencer
Mr. and Mrs. Thomas, and two children
Mr. and Mrs. G. Thomas, and five children
Mr. and Mrs. J. Thomas
Miss Trewarris