NZ Bound Index Search Hints Lists Ports
Otago & Southland Bound
Otago Witness 18 March 1908 pg 47 Golden Jubilee Issue
In 1817 a sealing vessel, the Sophia, a brig, from Tasmania, and belonging to the Derwent, and her owner was Mr T.W. Birch, of Hobart Town. Her commander was Mr James Kelly (who sailed around Tasmania in an open boat in 1815), sailed from the Derwent on November 12, 1817 and on December 11 anchored in Port Daniel (now Otago Harbour). On the 12th a visit was made to a place called Small Bay (now Murdering Beach), between the Heads and Paurkanui Bay. An attack was made upon the party. Kelly and three men escaped to the boat, and three others were killed - John Griffiths, Veto Violi, and William Tucker (a Maori head hunter). On reaching the vessel found 150 natives on board. The sealers drew knives and killed 50 Maoris. Kelly landed a party on December 24 and cut the natives boats into firewood, thus having destroyed their navy and their town of 600 huts was burnt and on the 27th the Sophia sailed for the Chatham Islands.
pg39. Mr Joseph once more became a coastal trader and sailed in an open boat called the Annie, for Joe Beal, trading to Moeraki, Waikouaiti, Taieri and Molyneux. In those days there were no roads through the country and all goods were taken by sea to the nearest river and landed.
The Waikouaiti settlers, about a dozen families, were the true pioneers of Otago. The stock, with a staff of men and their families was brought to Otago by John Jones from Sydney in the brig Magnet on March 16 1840, eight years before Cargill's group. Jones also induced Rev. J. Watkins (Wesleyan) to come as a missionary - the first missionary in the South Island and his first service was held May 17 1840. It was from the Waikouaiti settlers that settlers first obtained sheep, horses, cattle and grain. Waikouaiti, the "birthplace of Otago", is located four miles from Karitane, thirty-two miles NNE. from Dunedin was established as a whaling station in 1838 by Johnny Jones (1809-69) an entrepreneur, a whaler, ship owner and trader. Between 1843 and 1848 Jones divided his time between Waikouaiti and Wellington and traded between New Zealand ports and Sydney with his schooner 68 ton Scotia. Mr Jones moved to Dunedin in 1854 and purchased the brig Thomas and Henry, and in 1858 entered into partnership with two sons of William Cargill, John and Edward, operating the paddle-steamer Geelong.
Mr John Jones, of Cherry Farm, entered into contract with Mr Joseph in which the latter undertook to transport bags of wheat from Waikouaiti to Port Chalmers for transhipment to the brig Thomas and Henry. Mr Joseph and the crew of two met with a gale and the boat drifted for three days and lost their water and food and finally made it to Bluff Harbour. Mr James Kelly gave them a teapot full of cold tea and neither Joseph nor his mattes had ever tasted anything so supremely grand before. A fortnight later they entered Otago Harbour to the surprise of the Pilot Driver. Cherry was Jones's nickname. The name Cherry Farm later applied to a mental hospital a few kilometres south of the town. The institution has since closed and its buildings house the Evansdale cheese factory.
The name Hawksbury is applied to the broad lagoon that separates the town, Waikouaiti, from its beach. A row of fine houses stands on the strip of land between the lagoon and beach. The houses command views of the bay and open sea on one side; the lagoon, town and rolling hills of East Otago on the other. In 1838 Jones bought a whaling station which had been set up the year before by fellow Australians. He established a respectable community, complete with clergyman and teacher. He brought his wife and family there in 1843. They settled on the farm at Matanaka, the headland at the north end of the bay. Some of Jones's farm buildings, among the oldest in New Zealand, have been preserved at Matanaka.
To see the real Waikouaiti, turn off at Beach Road, near the Dunedin end of the town. This 1km-long street is lined with houses and shops, some very old. The beach looks perfect. The lagoon, now a wildlife refuge, is idyllic. The homes around it nestle amid tall trees. Many of the oldest trees are gums, perhaps planted by those early Australian settlers. The railway line curves around the landward edge of the lagoon. Johnny Jones wanted to make Waikouaiti a city with a great harbour but it was too shallow. He wanted it to be Dunedin. Trypots that were used for boiling down blubber still stand outside Waikouaiti's Golden Fleece Hotel. As in all rural towns, businesses and government services have closed.
The settlement at Moeraki Heads was at first a shore whaling station, and the first whaler settlers arrived here in the brig Magnet on December 26, 1836. In those days forest grew right to the shore, and bird life was extremely prolific.
Otago Witness 31 August 1899, Page 10
Mrs J. R. Monson read the following interesting notes on settlement in Otago prior to the arrival of the first immigrant ships: " When I came to Otago from Nelson with my parents, in June 1843, there were only three white families living at the Heads, and they had come over from Waikouaiti a short time before. There were no people living either here or at Port, neither white nor Maoris. The Heads was quite a little settlement. There were six weatherboard houses two the Wellers had built, one a dwelling house and store. The Wellers, you know, had had a whaling station at the Heads, but before we came they had given it up and gone back to Sydney. The houses were both used as dwelling houses by Mr Carey and Mr Beal. There were two owned by Mr Harwood one of them also a dwelling house and store, in which Messrs Schultze and Harwood carried on business as general storekeepers. They had a schooner, the Shepherdess, with which they traded to Sydney, Port Nicholson, and other places, as inducements offered. Mr James Anderson generally called 'Dugald Anderson ' was captain of the Shepherdess. Mrs Bowling, who died at Merton a short time ago, was his daughter. There were a good many white men with Maori wives, who had been by the Wesleyan missionaries and Bishop Selwyn, There were a number of wattle and duab houses in the settlement in those days. We lived quite among the Maoris; just a handful of white people. There were a large number of Maoris here then, and there were three kaiks the lower kaik was at the extreme end of the sandhills, near Harrington Point; the middle kaik was higher up, near the try works (the Black Rock) ; Teraki's kaik was higher still. It was on the flat at the back of where Mr Taiaroa's house stands. Some lived at Jacky White's Beach (the pilot station) ; many at Purakanui and Murdering Beach. They were always good neighbours, and kind to us ; very fond of us, who were children then. Our fathers and mothers often said they might have killed and eaten us all, and no one in the outside world been the wiser. A Maori had killed a white man shortly before we came, and the white people told him they would put him on board the .first vessel that came in, take him to Port Nicholson, and have him tried for murder and hanged. So he anticipated the law, and shot his wife and himself. His father was, of course in a dreadful way, and vowed he would have the utu of the white man. He followed two men at different times to kill them, but they got to a kaik, and Taiaroa tapu-tapued them by putting his cap on their heads. Of course no Maori dare harm them after that. Soon after we arrived more families came from Waikouaiti to live in Otakour, and Mrs Windsor opened a school for both Sunday and week days. There were 16 of us who attended that school one a halfcast eight of the white children being born here. The Rev. Mr Watkin and his successor, the Rev. Mr Creed, visited us, and held services. Mr Creed took a great interest in our little school. We also had Bishop Selwyn to visit us, and I well remember the surveyors coming, and the first visit of Sir George, and Lady (Grey, They came in the Inflexible, a man-of-war. The Maoris were very frightened when they saw the ship coming in without sails, and a lot of black smoke pouring out of her they cried out, " It is the ship of the devil! " Then they saw the red coats of the marines, and screamed, " The soldiers ! the soldiers ! ' and ran off to the bush. About that time Mr Sutton came to Otago and built a house and dispensary and general store. He afterwards built Medical Hall. Dr Crocome came over from Waikouaiti, too, but had very little to do, as people were never ill. A great many whalers came here in those days, and our fathers traded with them for clothes and flour and boots and tobacco. We got our clothes also from Sydney by the Shepherdess and Scotia (Mr Jones's schooner, Captain Ward being master). When the emigrants came there were 12 weatherboard houses, and quite 20 wattle-and-daub. One afternoon I heard Mr Geary calling to my father, ' There's a ship at the heads flying the old. flag ; I can't make her out. She is not a man-of-war, and has too many people on board to be a whaler.' My father went with him up the hill, and they watched her for a long time. That ship was the John Wickliffe.
Otago Witness 18 March 1908 pg 50 Golden Jubilee Issue
The old wreck at Dusky Sound was an "Endeavour." The first boat built in Otago Harbour was named "Endeavour." She was a ketch built at Anderson's Bay, and purchased by Mr Macandrew in 1854. Mr Joseph gave up the Annie and joined Mr Macandrew's service to sail the ketch, bringing wool from Oamaru in the north and Molyneux in the south. Schooner Storm was owned by Mr Macandrew. There was also a cutter, Hope in the area.
The brig Thomas and Henry which took Mr Jones wheat to Sydney was subsequently bought by Mr Jones for 2000 pounds, after he disposed of his faithful schooner, the Scotia, for 1300 pounds. Captain Thomson sailed the Thomas and Henry for one trip to Sydney for Mr Jones. In 1908 it was a hulk at Port Chalmers.
In a small schooner called the Deborah, Tuckett made a careful survey of the coast from Cape Campbell to the Bluff in 1844. He condemned Canterbury as unfit for settlement as he couldn't find a suitable access to the plains, and sailing south decided on Port Chalmers and the adjoining country for the Scotch settlement. On July 31st 1844, 400,000 acres was purchased from the Maoris by the New Zealand Company for 3000 pounds, Clarke, Mr Frederick Tuckett and J.J. Symonds signed the deed on behalf of the company, 2400 pounds being paid in cash. On May 16 1845, the Otago Association was formed in Glasgow to found a Scotch settlement in New Zealand. A block of 400,000 acres was secured from the New Zealand Company. Charles Kettle, surveyor, laid out Dunedin in 1846. The area was 1400 acres.
Otago Witness 18 March 1908 pg 47
Settlers Before Settlement. The first settlers consisted of two families connected by marriage, and who arrived at Koputai (Port Chalmers) from Nelson on December 30 1844. The names of community at Taieri- the Andersons, his son John, and John's wife Isabella; also Mr and Mrs Alexander McKay, the two wives being sisters. The descendants of these first settlers form a fairly large community at Taieri - the Andersons, McKays, Allans, Thomsons, McCaws, and others. The McKays settled at Koputai, and opened the first public-house there, giving to it the names of "Surveyors' Arms." The site is that occupied by the Port Chalmers Hotel. The Anderson's settled at a pretty inlet now known as Anderson's Bay.
Otago Witness 18 March 1908 pg 48
Mr A. Joseph first saw Otago Harbour in 1847. The whaler on which he was engaged had met with a mishap on the West Coast, and made for Otago Harbour to effect repairs. The ship anchored at the Heads. Mr Joseph made one of the crew that rowed the Captain up to what is Port Chalmers. There was but one house there at that time - a clay house with thatch roof, - occupied by Mr and Mrs Wyllie and Mr and Mrs McKay. Lying at anchor, a the Port was a little schooner, called Scotia belonging to Mr John Jones. The schooner had just shortly before arrived from Sydney, and had on board several horses for Mr Jones, which were the first horses brought to Otago. After a stay of four weeks his ship put to sea again, and 12 months afterwards made a second visit to Otago Harbour. On that occasion Mr Joseph decided to abandon the whaler' life, and took quarters at the Heads, getting a job for a few weeks with a party of sawyers. This was three weeks before the arrival of the Philip Laing.
Otago Harbour lies on the lower east coast of South Island and is a long sheltered land locked inlet comprising of wharves at Dunedin and Port Chalmers. The John Wickliffe, commanded by Captain Daly departed, Gravesend heavily laden with supplies and 97 passengers, November 24 1847, but sprang a leak and had to put into Portsmouth for repairs, finally sailing on December 24 and arrived on 23rd March, 1848 after a passage of 116 days with William Cargill on board and he was the leader for the settlers of the Free Church of Scotland, and agent for the New Zealand Company. The Philip Laing commanded by Captain Andrew Elles departed Greenock, November 27, 1847, put in at Lamlash Bay and Milford Haven through stress of weather, left the latter place on December 20, 1847, and arrived at Port Chalmers on 15 April 1848 with 247 passengers many Free Church members aboard including the Rev. Thomas Burns, nephew to the poet Robert Burns. Burns held three services every day of the voyage, whatever the weather, and all the emigrants were expected to attend. A good many passengers on both ships were children. The average age of the married men was 36, the married women 30, the single men 22 and the single women 26. The town buildings were, at most, half a dozen, surrounded on all sides by bush, flax and fern when the first two ships arrived. Diaries The ship Victory arrived on July 8, followed by the Blundell on September 21, and the Bernicia on December 12, making altogether a squadron of five vessels.
The 'John Wickliffe' in port and the 'Philip Laing' arriving with the first settlers landing in Dunedin.
Painting by D. O. Robertson in 1898 fifty years after the event. Original at the Port Chalmers Museum.
David Ogilvie Robertson was the son of Capt. Tom Robertson.
Dunedin (Edin on the hill), is about nine miles from Port Chalmers, was first called New Edinburgh the site was selected by the London based New Zealand Company. Immigration increased during the gold rushes so the practise of publishing full passenger lists was abandoned. Many Chinese came during the gold rush.
Otago Witness Saturday 28 January 1871 page 13 Obituary edited Funeral page 16
The late Rev. Dr. Burns, Senior Pastor of the First Church of this City, died on the 23rd January, at Banston, London Street, aged 76. Dr Burns was the third son of Gilbert Burns - brother of the Scottish bard, Robert Burns - and was born at Mosgiel, Dumfriesshire, on 10th April, 1796. From the academy of Closeburn he passed to the University of Edinburgh. Before leaving Ballantrae he married Clementiana Grant (who stills survives him), daughter of the Rev. James Francis Grant, Rector of Wrabness, Essex, and Merston, in Sussex... Dr Burns sailed, having resigned his charge at Portobello, and having been appointed first minister of Otago, he sailed with his family from Greenock in the ship Phillip Laing, under command of Capt. A.J. Ellis, now Collector of Customs at Invercargill. Dr Burns arrived in Otago on April 15th, 1848. In the beginning of 1854 the Rev. W. Will, of Taieri, and the Rev. W. Bannerman, of the Clutha, arrived, with Dr Burns constituted, in the month of June of the same year, the Presbytery of Otago. In 1861, the University of Edinburgh conferred upon Mr Burns the degree of D.D., as a mark of their estimate of his talents. The chief mourners were the two sons of Mr A.J. Burns.
In 1849 there were 35 houses, 375 oxen, 2,430 sheep, and 50 goats in Otago and the whole extent of land in cultivation was but 42 acres. In 1855 there was 3,168 acres cultivated, 435 houses, 6,511 oxen, 58,902 sheep and 251 goats.
Lists of emigrant ship
arrivals for the Otago Settlement, 1848-1851
Lists only the passengers who disembarked at Port Chalmers. e.g. The Lady Nugent continued on to Port Cooper (Lyttelton) J.R. Godley and his wife Charlotte and Jerningham Wakefield where cabin passengers. MacGibbon, John Going Abroad; Ngaio Press, Wellington, 1997, revised limited 2nd edition 2002, enlarged from 231 to 258 pages. The book traces the hopes, fears and fortunes of early Scottish migrants to New Zealand's Deep South. Includes, the Pillans diary, a detailed account the voyage of the 'Mooltan' which carried 152 passengers to Dunedin in 1849. Illustrations are from the Illustrated London News between 1844 and 1860 and drawings by John Pearse, a passenger, on the 'Duke of Portland' which sailed to NZ in 1851. There is a plan of a typical 19th century emigrant sailing ship page 56. Approximately 150 people, about forty families, arrived in Port Chalmers aboard the 573 ton Blundell 21 Sept.1848, having left from Gravesend. She was built in Burma in 1839, the ship had once been used for confining convicts.
Nelson Examiner and New Zealand Chronicle 3 February 1849
Otago News to the 10th of Jan., by which we learn that the Ajax, from London, arrived at that port on the 6tb, having been out 116 days. She had on board 23 cabin, 13 adult fore cabin, and 150 steerage passengers, 85 of whom were for Otago, and the remainder for Wellington and Nelson. The cabin passengers are, Mr. and Mrs. Valpey, son, and three daughters, Miss Jeffreys, Mr. Forbet, two Mr. Fultons, Mr. Newcome, Mr. French, Mr. Redpath, Mr. Dowson, Mr. Wetherby, Mr. Picard. Mr. Stewart, Mr. and Mrs. Bennett, Mrs. Wilts, Mr. and Mrs. Fendbear.
Passengers to Otago Harbour
1851 1852 1853 1854
1855 1856 1857
BDM's 1851 Reference online: Papers Past Images online.
Ian N. Church has recently written Opening the Manifest on -- Otago's Infant Years : Shipping Arrivals and Departures, Otago Harbour and coast 1770-1860 Publisher : Dunedin North [N.Z. ] : Otago Heritage Books,  272 p. : ill., maps ; 21 cm. Includes bibliographical references (p. 227-231) and index. It has a very comprehensive list of ships visiting Port Chalmers especially the 1850s.
Otago Men of Note from the Otago Witness
Nov. 14 1895 pg45 John Adam - Settler Immigration Agent, Landed in Otago in 1848, Sketch.
Sep 12 pg45 & concluded 26th pg40 John Buchanan - Pattern Designer and Botanist
Oct 24 1895 pg40 Edward Bowes Cargill, Merchant and Representative. 7th son of Capt. Cargill.
Oct. 17 1895 pg45 Robert Chapman, Citizen and Solicitor, came out on the Blundell with his family.
Nov. 7 1895 pg 45 John Hislop Educator, came out on the Strathmore in 1856
Oct. 31 1895 pg40 William Hunter Reynolds, Politician and Colonist. He purchased an iron schooner named the Titan and filled her up with freight and general merchandise along with his parents, brother-in-law (Mr Macandrew), his wife and family and a few friends and arrived at Pt Chalmers 17th January 1851.
Throughout these pages the surnames Cargill and Valpy appear frequently. Cargill was the leader of the first group of settlers and he and his family arrived in Otago on the The John Wickliffe, March 1848. Captain William Cargill (1784-1860) had resigned his army commission but retained the title captain. Had 17 children, of whom 10 survived infancy. Cargill's sons-in-law, especially John Hyde Harris and W. H. Cutten, also became prominent Otago citizens.
Cutten was the second editor of the Otago Witness with a salary of 1 pound/week.
William Henry Valpy, a wealthy Englishman, with an income of 2,000 pounds per annum, brought with him his wife nee Caroline Jeffreys and five of their six children and staff of servants on the Ajax in January 1849 and proceeded to establish a sawmill which employed 50 Scots labourers and a flourmill on the Leith stream and gave generous sums to assist its work to the improve roads, including one out to his property Forbury (St Clair- 3 miles from the centre of Dunedin near the seashore). On 22 Sept. 1852 Catherine Valpy married James Fulton, at a joint wedding with her sister Juliet Valpy and William Mackworth at Forbury.James Macandrew (1820 - 1887) arrived on the Titan in 1851 from London. The vessel was privately owned or chartered as a venture by Macandrew and his father-in-law Thomas Reynolds. He became an entrepreneur, with a shipping company, and the provincial superintendent of Otago until 1861 a judgement against James Macandrew for embezzlement of public money, and he used his powers as Superintendent to declare his own home a gaol.
Otago Witness February 9 1861 page 5
Proclamation. By His Honour James Macandrew, Esquire, superintendent of the Province of Otago.
Therefore, I, the said superintendent of the Province of Otago, do herby proclaim and declare that Carisbrook House shall be deemed and taken to be one of the Public Gaols of the Colony of New Zealand, until proper provision is made otherwise in that behalf.
Given under my hand and seal, at Dunedin, in the Province of Otago, this twenty-eighth day of January, one thousand eight hundred and sixty-one. James Macandrew, Superintendent.
MACANDREW on the 28th February 1875, at Collingwood, Otago Peninsula, Eliza Hunter Reynolds, wife of his honor, James Macandrew, Superintendent of Otago aged 48 years.
Charles Henry Kettle (b. 1821in Kent - died Jan. 1862).
Employed as a teaching assistant at Queen's Grammar School in Faversham
1840 he arrived at Port Nicholson, Wellington.
In 1841 he was appointed as a cadet in William Mein's survey corps. In charge of surveying Manawatu. Made redundant, so he returned to England. In 1845 appointed to head the survey for the new settlement, Dunedin.
1845 married Amelia Omer, and he and his wife travelled to Otago in Feb. 1846.
In 1852 appointed Government surveyor in Otago and deputy registrar of deeds but in 1854 resigned from both offices.
He secured Run 25 in the Clutha district last known as Kaihiku.
In January 1862 he contracted typhoid and died and buried in Dunedin's Southern Cemetery.
Otago Witness Wednesday 5 Dec. 1900 page 53 c2
The largest vessel that has come to Dunedin wharves was the s.s. Obra, 5456 tons. The deepest draught steamer was the s.s. Moana (nearly 4000 tons), which came up on a draught of 20ft 7in. The deepest draught vessel was the ship Glenburn, 21ft.
Otago Witness Wednesday 21 November 1900 page 34 c3
Letters of naturalisation have been granted to the following residents of Otago:
Thomas Bowling, Dunedin
George Jansen, Caversham
John Johson, Maheno
Robert Lutgens, Waikawa
Otago Witness Wednesday 21 November 1900 Census Enumerators pg32
Robert P. Ward, Waitaki and Waihemo
Charles C. Graham, Taieri, Peninsula and Waikouaiti
Peter Nelson, Bruce and Clutha
John C. Arbuckle Tuapeku
Michael J. Staunton Maniototo, Vincent, and Lake
William Russell, Southland, Wallace, Stewart Island and adjacent islands
For those unable to visit they offer a written reference service for researchers. They charge $45 per hour for research and provide a written quote on request.
Below is an outline of shipping lists at the Otago Settlers Museum, (previously known as Otago Early Settlers Museum) phone 64 3 477 5052 31 Fax (03) 474 2727
31 Queens Gardens, Dunedin (adjacent to the railway station- don't miss, when you visit Dunedin)
The Otago Early Settlers Association, founded in 1898, opened its museum on Anniversary Day, 1908 and operated it until when it was gifted to the City of Dunedin.
Otago Settlers Museum Charges
The Dunedin City Council, the Otago Settlers Museum abolished charges from 1 July 2006, bringing it into line with similar institutions in the City. The Council proposes increasing the Museum's budget to cover the $58,000 to $60,000 it receives annually through entry fees. Removing door charges is expected to boost visitor numbers and encourage better quality experiences through repeat visits. Access for all is an underlying principle for museums. The Dunedin Public Art Gallery and the Otago Museum do not have admission charges, except for special exhibitions. The staff at the OSM Museum are very helpful and busy and things take a little time.
email@example.com include your snail mail address for a reply as they seem to prefer to reply that way. They will research shipping lists for up to three different families for a fee. $NZ10 for twenty minutes or $NZ35 for an hour. The public pay $12 per day for a research ticket. NZSG members pay $8. They have a Research Room which has shorter hours. A bible collection and a portrait room containing portraits of pre 1861 settlers, The Smith Gallery (the portraits on the walls have been rearranged in order of arrival). Indexed. Otago Witness and ODT index to BDMs 1848-88. Ask at the desk as you enter for assistance. There are charges for photocopying. No material can be borrowed. Free entry to members of the Otago Settlers' Association and to members of the NZSG Dunedin Branch. Free entry to secondary students. $12 per day research ticket to members of the public.
1848-1850 Settlement of Otago By T. Hocken first published in 1898. Lists early European settlers. Indexed passenger lists for the first fourteen ships to Otago as outlined by Dr T.M. Hocken in 1898. On fiche. Contributions to the Early History of New Zealand by Hocken includes the Otago passengers to 1850. An example is below. Also see Mooltan
1850-1861 Passenger lists of vessels arriving at Port Chalmers as published in the Dunedin newspapers have been indexed. These give seldom more than the immigrants name. e.g. Otago Colonist
1861-1863 Immigration increased during the gold rush so the practise of publishing full passenger lists was abandoned. The library does have some coverage for those lists.
1848-1869 List of immigrants, debtors to the Provincial government of Otago for passage moneys. In 1869 an official list was published of all those people who had had part or all of their passage to Otago paid for by the Otago Provincial Government since 1848 and who still owed any part of this money. Another list was published in 1872.
1869-1875 Passenger lists appearing in the Otago Provincial Government Gazattes: migrants assisted by the Provincial Government 1869-75
1871-1880 An index to paying passengers to Otago via the Patrick Henderson Shipping Company (Glasgow). The lists are in Glasgow but there is an index at the Hocken Library 5th Floor Hocken Building, Campus, University of Otago, (Castle St) Dunedin and Alexander Turnbull Library in Wellington and are on microfiche. Available from the NZSG. Patrick Henderson Company Shipping Lists 1871-1880 3 Fiche $7.50
1875-1882 Indexed New Zealand Shipping Company paying passengers to Port Chalmers and Bluff.
The museum also has another other resources including "Passenger lists appearing in the Provincial Government Gazettes: migrants assisted by the Provincial Government 1869-75". Also a portrait index.
Dunedin Regional Office Archives New Zealand
of Otago Libraries
The Hocken Library University of Otago
Tucked away in a converted dairy factory in Anzac Avenue, Dunedin is a national treasure, the Hocken Collections. There are more than 1 million photographs, 250,000 books, 13,500 original works of art and 10,000 maps. Available to all and free of charge. Dr Hocken formally gifted his personal collection to the people of New Zealand in 1907.
Hours (Archive material required for use on Tuesday evenings and Saturdays must be pre-ordered either in person, by post or by phone).
Charges: Free entry, charges for photocopying of material. No material can be borrowed and some may be restricted.
Reading rooms, Exhibition Gallery.
Extensive holdings including: directories, books & periodicals, maps, electoral rolls, Maori Land Court records, diaries & personal reminiscences, non-Government organisations archives, school & church records, and a large photographic collection.
Contributions to the Early History of New Zealand [Settlement of Otago] by Thomas Morland Hocken. Appendix F. 1898. updated and corrected
NZ Co. embarkation lists 1839-42. and registers of passengers 1839-50
Otago Assoc. Shipping lists 1848-50
Val Maxwell's settlers to Otago pre-1861
List of immigrants, debtors to the Provincial government of Otago
List of assisted immigrants Otago Provincial Govt. Gazette 1869-75
Patrick Henderson Line lists of cabin passengers 1871-80
Otago-Southland assisted passengers 1872-1888 from U.K. & Europe 1872-1888 - in 4 volumes
Watts and Comber Indexes. NZCo. shipping register 1875-93.Australian arrivals and departures.
Otago Nominal Index (ONI)
Large newspaper collection (NZ and some overseas)
OASES -ask staff to check database
Ship deserters from the Otago Police Gazette 1861-1877
Hocken Library Reference Database - ask staff to check
Public Library, P.O. Box 5542, Dunedin
Civic Centre, Moray Place. Written enquires $50/hr. McNab New Zealand Room 3rd floor with a newspaper collection, passenger lists 1840-1880, index to ship passengers 1855-1880, index to ships, indexes to newspaper articles etc.
Dunedin City Council Archives
Southland Museum and Art
Gallery - Queens Gardens, P.O. Box 1012, Invercargill. Contacts: Mr
Lindsay Hazley (Photographic Curator); Ms Jo. Massey (History Curator;
Third Floor, Reed Gallery Dunedin City Library -
Arrivals and Departures-
- CD OASES - Otago & Southland Early Settlers Database - a comprehensive list of all the people in Otago and Southland up until the end of 1861. Has over 80,000 entries as of June 2006. Contains shipping information for individuals from Dunedin newspaper passenger lists for the period to the end of 1861. Records of individuals are colour coded - dark green entries are for immigrants, light green entries are for those born in Otago, blue entries are for individuals who never actually came to NZ, red entries are for individuals for whom there is no shipping information and yellow entries are for those individuals where it is not known whether they were an immigrant or born in Otago. As of July 2020 166,451 people and still adding data.
- Diary of W.T. Smith, arrived on the Ben Lomond Nov. 1862-63. "It is course handwriting that swaps between pen and pencil. His writing style is a little eccentric with punctuation not a strong point but he also displays a good sense of humour describing incidents occurring on board. A treasure in all respects"
A Register of Irish
Settlers to Otago-Southland compiled by Michael Rombouts.
The following on page 159 (as written)
Michael Francis born 1840/41 at Menlo parish, Castle Carr, County Galway,
died 24 Aug 1923, married Bridget nee ? Francis ( c 1845-1885) arrived in NZ in 1865, possibly married at Dunedin 11 Nov 1876, settled in Dunedin, goldminer, buried Southern cemetery, Dunedin. (Cemetery records, ODT, Tablet, Catholic Marriage Index) The NZSG -South Canterbury Branch has this in their library at the S. Canterbury Museum.
Timaru Herald, 22 February 1883, Page 7
The Tuapeka Times has the following : " The Chinese have now nearly finished the work of exhumation of bodies of their Celestial brethren. The modus operandi pursued is to gather together the bones of each consumed corpse into a calico bag, as of July 2020 166,451 people and still adding data.ereafter enclosing the same in a cornsack and putting a label thereon, so as to show the identity of the bones, four of these bags being put into a leaden coffin and afterwards enclosed in a wooden one. Unconsumed bodies are put each into a leaden coffin and afterwards into a wooden box, the leaden coffins being all well soldered together, and the wooden ones firmly screwed down. A number of professional Chinese resurrectionists, who, it is said, get 10 pounds for every body resurrected, have been engaged, and these carry on the work of manipulating the remains in an apparently nonchalant and unconcerned manner, the sight to any stranger, especially of delicate nervous organisation, being anything but a pleasant one. The coffins which, had formerly held the dead are all burned. A vessel from China, it is understood, will take the bodies to Canton upon then arrival at Port Chalmers."
A Register of Irish
Settlers to Otago-Southland compiled by Michael Rombouts.
The Cyclopedia of New Zealand, Volume 4. Otago & Southland - Published 1905,1144 pages. City of Dunedin
For Otago arrivals after 1870 and certainly after 1875 try the lists held by Archives New Zealand in Wellington. These include records of the Immigration Department which was involved in organising assisted immigration to New Zealand from 1870.
Available from the New Zealand Society of Genealogists Inc. Maxwell, Val Otago settlers Pre 1861: Val Maxwell Index 3 Fiche $NZ7.50 1990, Wellington, NZGS ISBN: 0908770251 passenger emigration lists.
Alexander Turnbull Library reference section has on microfiche passenger lists for Otago 1847 -1850 and the Patrick Henderson Shipping Company lists for Otago: paying passengers to NZ ports, 1871-1880. Also check the Otago Settlers museums holdings. Author: Guthrie, Kay. 3 fiche, published by : NZGS, Auckland, NZ c1993
List of Immigrant Debtors dated 1872 listing a number of vessels conveying passengers to NZ, and 31 passengers who still owed for their fares 10 years later. The Robert Henderson, voyage of 1862 and the Paria in 1864 had passengers on this list among others. The list was found in the Southland Provincial Gazette which dates back to when Southland was as independent province from Otago, and these back issues are held at the Invercargill Public Library.
Stones Directory of Otago & Southland 1887
Advanced Guard published in Dunedin in 1974. The Advanced Guard was a three book set of prize winning and other selected biographies of Otago-Southland early settler from the 1973 from the historical biography competition conducted by the Otago Daily Times newspaper to make the 125th anniversary of the Otago Settlement. Contained major essays on twenty-five 19th century Otago personalities who arrived in the south before May 1861. Selected and edited by George J. Griffiths. Coloured frontispiece, illustrations (including portraits), Coloured map of main pioneering districts on endpapers, hardback & paperback, dj.
Series I: 206p. In Vol. 1. Archibald Anderson, Jeffreys, Johnston, Carey, Mathieson, Matthews, Williamson, Shennan.
Series II : pp.255. In Vol. 2 Charles E. Suisted, McKenzie, Dewe, Crocome, Wilson, Cuddie, Chapman Smith, Seaton.
Series III: 295p In Vol. 3 Edward Weller, Cullen, Raymond, Jaffray, Nathaniel Chalmers, Telford, Borrie, Clapcott, Gillies.
Burnett, Mr., fl. 1850-51. A passenger's diary of a voyage from London to New Zealand 1850-1851. [Workington, West Cumberland,?]: The Workington & District Local History Society, [198-?]. Victory (ship) 30pp National Library, NZ
Church, Ian. Opening the manifest in Otago's infant years;: shipping arrivals and departures, Otago Harbour and coast 1770-1860. Dunedin, Otago Heritage Books, 2002)
Crossan, G. S. (Graeme Stuart), 1953- A Bakers Dozen : a history of the Crossan family and descendants from 1792-1993 / G.S. Crossan, 1993 132 pp Crossan, Hugh, 1847-1901 Caribou (Sailing ship)
Davidson, William Hood. The Story of the ss Lady Egidia : an immigrant ship of 1860 / edited by W.H. Davidson. Dunedin : Lady Egidia Centenary Committee, 1961. 31p
Davies, George Evans, ed. Burnell, Eileen Joy Passenger 1874 : a diary kept by George Evans Davies of Shrewsbury, Salop, of his one-way voyage to New Zealand, a journey of 88 days by the iron sailing ship 'Janet Cowan' 80p : ill ISBN: 0-9516001-0-9 Publisher: the author 1989, Henley-on-Thames NMM, Greenwich holding. (Janet Cown, 1278 tons, Captain McBride, sailed October 9th, 1874, and arrived Port Chalmers January 5th. Passengers 58. Reference: White Wings Vol. 2 by Brett)
Dobie, Bertha. The voyage of the "May Queen", October 1877- January 1878 / from the diary of Bertha and Mary Dobie (1851-1880); edited by Margaret Drake Brockman. Braunton [U.K.] : Merlin, 1992. 128 pp.
Hocken, Thomas Morland. Contributions towards the History of Otago (Settlement of Otago) London: Sampson Low, 1898. First edn. 342pp. 22.5cm. Portraits, fold map, fold plan.
McLean, Gavin Otago Harbour, Currents of Controversy Dunedin, NZ. 1985. Otago Harbour Board. 1st Ed. 360 pp with b/w illust.& 12 colour plates. The commercial development of the harbour from the Maori canoe right up to the modern container ship. Rivalry between Port Chalmers and Dunedin. ISBN: 0473002884
McLintock, A. H. The Port of Otago. Christchurch. 1951. Whitcombe & Tombs. 428 pp, plus 50 b/w plates, and 1 folding map in colour of Otago Harbour.
Otago Harbour Board Port of Otago Past, Present and Future 52 pp b/w photos, 1945 By Ships We Live - expounding the advantages of using the facilities of the Port and associated industries together with a case for a 650ft. dry dock to be built at Port Chalmers
Reed, A.H. The Story of Otago. 1947.Robertson, George Stephen. Journal of voyage aboard "James Nicol Fleming" 03 Aug.-26 Oct. 1870. Wellington, N.Z.: N. Cowie, 199?-.
Shaw, M. Noeline, 1940- The history of the Bigwood family of Southland / Waikanae : Heritage Press, 1994. 380 pp. Bigwood, John, 1839-1907, Waitara (Ship)
Wilkening, Klaus. Why Invercargill : migrating thoughts /Invercargill: Wilkening Enterprises, 1997. 176p.
Daily Southern Cross, 27 May 1848, Page 2
Newcastle. Cleared for Otago, May 11, the barque London, 388 tons, Williamson. Passengers, Mrs. Williamson, Mr. W. Allison, Dr. Mallon and son, Mr. Thos. Williamson. Cargo; 189 head of cattle, 14 horses, 13 tons flour. 500 sheep, 2 crates earthenware. W. Allison. 254 bags sugar. She sailed on the 12th May.
Bruce From Glasgow. Arrived Sep. 12 1860
Otago Witness Saturday 28 January 1871 page 12
Jan. 25 - Memento, barque, Thompson, from Hong Kong, 23rd October, 1870.
Passengers: Mrs Thompson and 9 Chinese. Cargills and McLean, agents.
Otago Witness Saturday 28 January 1871 page 12
Port Chalmers - Arrived Jan 23 -
Christian McAusland, ship, 962 tons, Brown, from Glasgow, 28th Nov. 1870. Cargills and McLean, agents.Passengers: Chapman Mr and Mrs Chapman Misses (2) Chapman Master Cornfoot Mr and Mrs Douglas Rev. A. Douglas Mrs and family (4) Hunter Mr and Mrs and child Shanks Mr and Mrs Shanks Mr Stewart Mr and 123 in steerage
Arrived Jan. 27 - City of Dunedin, 1084 tons, from London. G G Russell and Co agents.
Timaru Herald 19 November 1889
Port Chalmers, Nov. 18
Arrived - Helen Denny, barque, Captain Carwell, from Glasgow. She brings 1200 tons cargo and 14 passengers, after an uneventful passage of 119 days.
The Andrew Jackson was an American built clipper, 1252 tons. Left Glasgow 14 April 1864 for Port Chalmers and arrived 12 July with 162 passengers. The only names of passengers listed in the Otago Daily Times on Wednesday July 13, 1864: Mr W. A. M'Master, Mr Anthony M'Master, Mr W. M'Nab, Dr. Brown, Mrs Brownhill and 3 children Miss Isabella M'Queen. 153 intermediate and fore cabins.BROWN Dr. BROWN Susanah BROWNHILL Mrs & 3 children CARROLL Mary CONNOLLY Christabella H. CHALMERS Mrs. CHISHOLM William DEE Garrett DEE Daniel DYER John ENWRIGHT Timothy ENWRIGHT Margaret GARSIDE Esther HANNAH John LIVINGSTONE Isabella LYON Isabella MITCHELL John MUIR Hugh, wife, (Janet, nee Mitchell) & 4 girls MEIKLEJOHN Jessie MEIKLEJOHN Mary M'FETTRISH Samuel M'LEAN Mary M'MASTER Mr W A M'MASTER Anthony M'NAB Mr W M'GRIGOR Mary Anne M'QUEEN Isabella NIXON John RISK Janet SMITH Ann STEWART Peter
Partial passenger list copied from a newspaper cutting, courtesy of Arthur McGregor. Posted 23 Oct. 1999. Another voyage. Auckland 1865 history passenger
1250 tons Capt. Leslie. Left Glasgow 26th Sept. 1877 Arrived Port Chalmers 29th Dec. 1877. 18 saloon passengers and 279 immigrants among whom was Sarah Diver, aged 20 years, a cook, from Co Donegal. Full account of the voyage appeared in the ODT. Mr Dobson has official letters regarding the ship, cuttings from "White Wings" and a copy of a painting of the ship under full sail.
Sailed 11th June 1874 from Greenock, Scotland. Arrived 4th Sept 1874 Port Chalmers. Captain Nelson. Passengers: 16 Cabin, 428 free and nominated immigrants. Among these were William Dobson, ploughman, from Co Donegal, aged 19, and his brother, Thomas Dobson, ploughman, of Co. Donegal, aged 21. A very full account of the voyage appeared in the "Otago Daily Times" of Sat. Sept 5th, 1874. An article of this ship from "White Wings" includes a photograph taken at Port Chalmers.
Left the Clyde 12th January 1883
Wrecked on North Rock, Cloghy, County Down 12th Jan. 1883. 1016 tons. No lives lost. Capt. Kerr. 321 immigrants. Included were James Diver, 19 yrs, farm labourer, his wife-to-be, Sarah Donnell, 22 yrs, domestic servant, and Margaret Diver, 20 yrs, domestic servant, who was, perhaps, a sister of James Diver. All 3 above came from Co Donegal. A considerable amount of literature has grown up regarding the "Wild Deer" as she was engaged in the China tea trade for several years. I have copies of official letters, articles from books and photographs if anyone is interested.
After the wreck of the "Wild Deer" the "Caroline" was chartered to bring the immigrants out to Otago. Capt. Hardy.234 immigrants included were the James Diver and Sarah Donnell (of the "Wild Deer") but, alas, no Margaret Diver. Sailed Feb. 19th 1883 from the Clyde. Arrived Port Chalmers 23rd May 1883. Full report on the voyage in the ODT 24th May 1883. Mr Ray Dobson also has official letters and articles from "White Wings"
1114 tons, left Gravesend 17th July 1875, arrived Port Chalmers 27th Oct. 1875 Capt. Sellars. 4 1st class, 7 second cabin and 211 free and nominated immigrants. Included in the immigrants was Richard Diver aged 21 years a farm labourer and his wife-to-be, Catherine Hegarty aged 25 years, a servant, both from Co Donegal. Have numerous letters to the NZ Minister of Immigration from the Agents in the UK. Articles including a photograph appear in "White Wings"
Partial passenger lists from:
"Adamant" Gravesend to The Bluff 14 July 1875...2nd Dec 1875
"Auckland" Greenock to Port Chalmers 17 July 1875...27th Oct. 1875
Otago Witness March 28th 1868 page 7 column 4 (edited)
The Scots who came south. How shall we designate, how shall we describe them"? Scots, Scotsmen, Scottishmen, Caledonians, North Britons? Call them what we will, Sandies or Sawneys, the Scots have left visible and enduring memorials of their settlement in Dunedin, which became the largest city in the colony. Dunedin showed prosperity in wonders of brick and stone given the city an air of permanence and civilisation with numerous fine church buildings. A Scot, John Barr left his native words in rhyme. Thomas Burns, Robert Burns' nephew preach and united. Dunedin is Captain Cargill's monument. St Andrew is comparatively well to do in Dunedin - not so St Patrick. The thistle takes root in English soil where the shamrock will not grow.
View of Dunedin
Near the foot of Mount Cargill and Flagstaff
On the hills that slope gently beneath,
Stands the beautiful town of Dunedin,
Near the pine-covered valley of Leith.
Looking south, you can see the blue ocean;
On the sandhills the white waves break;
With an arm round the green Peninsula,
Sleeping as calm as an inland lake.
Sleeping so calm, at the foot of green hills,
Dunedin-at the head of the bay.
No place, from the south to the sunny north,
Can a picture so lovely display.
In the valley, where wild flowers are blooming,
Birds are singing like angels above,
And the stream in the valley is humming,
Home of the bell-bird, tui, and dove.
Dunedin, 10th Jan., 1878. W.A.
Otago Witness page 17 column 2
January 26 1878
Dunedin from the Bay
Otago Harbour in 1840, by the artist of the Astrolabe. images
View of the Port of Dunedin and upper harbour from Stafford St. Charles Kettle, circa. 1849
Bluff is the main port for Southland and is located twenty-seven kilometres from Invercargill, named from the high hill to the south-east of the town. It is a natural haven and early settlers were whalers and sealers. First named Port Macquarie in honour of Governor Macquarie of N.S.W.
Bluff (1856-1857) changed to Bluff Harbor (Harbor is correct spelling at that time)(1857-1861) then changed to Campbelltown (1863-1886) then changed to Bluff (1886 - present). "Known also as the Bluff, in Southland county - 17 miles south from Invercargill, of which it is the port; situated on the peninsula, near the entrance to Bluff Harbour; a railway station, and municipality; survey, licensing, and school districts (av. school attendance 84); in the Awarua riding and electoral district." Stones Directory of Otago Southland 1887. In 1856 John Jones presented a petition to the Governor Thomas Gore Browne, requesting a port at Bluff. Until Bluff was declared an authorised port of entry it was illegal to land stock. Invercargill named in honour William Cargill who was then the Superintendent of the Province of Otago.
People often disembarked Bluff, then walked to Invercargill (8 miles cross country), some even disembarked at New River Estuary (Oreti River) and on to Invercargill. Others journeyed twenty-miles west along the wide easily traveled beach around the coast to Riverton from Invercargill, there was only the occasional patch of "quick sand" and only one major river to cross, a major route for many a year.
The Star June 4 1884
The iron tugboat named Awarua, built for the Bluff Harbour Board, was successfully launched. Her dimensions are Length, 110 ft, breath 20ft, depth of hold, 10 ft; draught of water with 30 tons of coal in her bunkers, 6ft 6 in. She is classed 100A1, and built under special survey. She will be rigged for the outward voyage as a topsail schooner, her paddle boxes being removed.
Bluff Maritime Museum covers Bluff's oyster, whaling, mutton birding, port and ferry industries, etc.
BLUFF Graham Wilson's site:
Bluff passenger lists
Foveaux Strait shipwrecks
The Otago Settlers Museum has miscellaneous assorted passenger lists which covers some arrivals and departures at Bluff as well as Dunedin. Vessels that used the Port of Bluff between 1862 and 1864:
1862 Robert Henderson, 116 passengers
1862 Storm Cloud, (66)
1863 Sir George Pollock, (104)
1863 Sir William Eyre, (135)
1863 Helenslee, (141)
1863 New Great Britain, (142)
1863 Harwood, (104)
1863 Robert Henderson (2nd trip), (41)
1864 Edward Thornhill, (81)
1864 Paria, (98)
1864 Sevilla, (206)
1864 Arima, (113)
Diaries with accounts of voyage on the Robert Henderson:
Southland Museum has a diary written by James A Lennie.
Wallace Early Settlers Museum in Riverton - The Shipboard Diary of Thomas Reed.
Diary of Ebenezer Johnson : voyage of the Adamant from Gravesend to New Zealand July 14 1875-November 19 1875. Johnson, Ebenezer, 1847-1938. The ship arrived at Bluff Dec. 4 1875 after an eventful passage including the burial of the master, Captain Burch six weeks out out of Bluff. 271 passengers. University of Otago Library has a copy.
Hall-Jones, John for the Southland Harbour Board. Bluff Harbour. 170 pages of Bluff's history. 1976. Hardback with dust jacket. Indexing status: Illustrations of named vessels selected. Maps on endpapers. Liberally illustrated with early maps and pictures. The story of James Spencer and the development of the port of Bluff. In 1824 James Spencer landed at Bluff and founded one of the earliest settlements in New Zealand. Spencers settlement survived to become a town - which gives Bluff a longer history than any other town in New Zealand. In this comprehensive history of the harbour over the past 150 years Dr Hall Jones tells us of the discover of the Maori adze factory at Tiwai Point, the building of the aluminum smelter and the construction of a whole new island harbour. He also includes a section on one of the earliest railways and chapters on the Stewart Island ferries and the famous Bluff Oyster.
The Southland Times. Based in Invercargill and was originally called The Invercargill Times was established 14 November 1862. Address: 67 Esk Street, Invercargill, ph (03) 218 1909. The newspapers at present are not available to the public to look at. They are putting all issues onto microfilm but have only got as far as the early 1900's. If anyone has an arrival date they will do look ups for $NZ30.00 per hour. The Hocken Library has the Southland Times from 1881-1945, about 75%.
Bluff is only a small place, it does have a library but it has no records at all. The old town hall and offices had a fire in the early seventies and they lost all their records. The Bluff Maritime Museum, 227 Foreshore Road, Bluff, ph 64 3 212 7534 have lots of info on Bluff, pictures, logs etc and the only passenger lists are listed above under emigrant vessels, but they are most accommodating and love to hear from people overseas. There was a local paper printed in Bluff, called The Bluff Press and Stewart Island Gazette. This was between the mid to late 1800's up to the early 1960's, and had their building in Gore Street, Bluff.
Nelson Evening Mail, 9 July 1896, Page 2
The Nelson Oyster was sent in by " L.M."
Great the dread,
Draw it mild ;
Some were riled,
Oamaru - the white stone city
Oamaru began in 1853 when land was acquired for a grazing run by Hugh Robinson. December 1862 Oamaru Town Board enacted. Proclaimed a municipality April 3 1866. In the early days steamers piled the east coast of the South Island disembarking passengers at Timaru and Oamaru but as his town did not have a wharf, boatmen would assist. Capt. William Sewell was the first harbourmaster for the Port of Oamaru between the years 1876 and 1896. It was a Port of Entry from 1861 until 1966. On the night of February 3rd 1868 the 'Star of Tasmania', 'Water Nymph' and the schooner 'Otago' were all wrecked. The building of the harbour was commenced September 10 1872. 'Jessie Redmond' arrived 24 Oct 1882. North Otago Museum archives have early newspapers. Holdings The streets are named after English rivers. Sign posts direct you to the free Bushy Beach yellow eyed penguin viewing hide. They come ashore in the middle of the afternoon.
Otago Witness 31 March 1898, Page 19
Up to 1853 Oamaru was in a state of primeval wilderness. Blown tussock, flax, speargrass, and tumatakaurai reigned supreme ; the Maoris had deserted it. The first shipment of stock direct to Oamaru was 708 sheep for Messrs Filleul Bros., which arrived in April, 1859, and were all safely landed in boats, in the absence of harbour facilities, notwithstanding the surf on the beach, through which they rushed in true follow-the-leader style as soon as the boats grounded. In the good old days a blue shirt and moleskins or Bedford-cord trousers was the universal dress for Sundays and week days, the collar of the blue shirt for the former day, amongst would-be swells, being covered with black silk and quilted. It did not follow that the silk was new, but at times was cut out of a good old mother's Home dress, found not to be of much use in the young colony. " In the matter of food," says a settler, " with the exception of tea, sugar, and a few other groceries, all the main staples were raised on the premises. We were our own. There was a common and almost universal feeling of brotherhood among the early settlers, as well as between master and servant and servant and master, and if there is one thing more than another which makes the old settlers look back on those old days of heavy toil with profound pleasure it was this practical brotherhood and absence of selfishness exhibited towards one another. In this respect, at all events, those were " good old times."
Otago Witness 15 May 1907, Page 23
Our Oamaru correspondent telegraphed as follows on the 8th: The death is announce of Dr J. S. Wait, a pioneer setter in North Otago who passed away on Tuesday evening at the age of 77 years. He was born at Warrirgton, Lancashire, England, and was educated at Manchester, obtaining his degrees as surgeon and physician at Manchester and Glasgow. He was married in 1834, and he and Mrs Wait left for New Zealand a few years later, landing at Port Chalmers in the ship Persia in 1863, and taking up their residence in Oamaru shortly afterwards. In addition to the practice of his profession over a period of nearly 25 years here, the doctor entered into local affairs with interest. He was elected Mayor of Oamaru in 1872, and again in 1573, and in that capacity he turned the first sod of the Moeraki-Waitaki section of railways at Oamaru. The foundation stone of the first jetty was also laid by him in 1863. He was also a prominent Freemason, and took a great deal of interest in the formation of the Lodge Waitaki. In the foundation of the Oamaru Hospital he also took a part, and was surgeon for the first seven years of its existence. Since his settlement from practice in 1889 he enjoyed excellent health, but latterly he was afflicted with a malady winch caused his death. He leaves a widow, two sons, and one daughter (Mrs E P. Burbury).
Deaths in 1910 in North Otago.
North Otago Museum
Curator of Archives, 58 - 60 Thames Street, Oamaru
Postal Address: Private Bag 50058, OAMARU 8920
Phone :3-434 1652 fax : 3 434 161649
email: firstname.lastname@example.org There is a charge for written requests.
Hours: Sunday - Friday 1 pm - 4.30 pm. Saturday 10 am - 1 pm. Closed holidays.
A copy of A Guide to the North Otago Museum Archive is available for $5.
Oamaru newspapers Dates of publication North Otago Standard 1876-1913 North Otago Times 1864-1932 Oamaru Mail 1876-today 1879-1939 on microfilm
The Oamaru Branch of the New Zealand Society of Genealogists, have transcribed the birth, marriage, death notices from both papers The Oamaru Mail 1876 to 1930 & North Otago Times 1873 to 1932, the North Otago Museum has this index. The Hocken Library, Dunedin has the North Otago Times from 1876 to 1887.
Leaver- Cooper, Sheila Janet Frame's Kingdom by the Sea. Oamaru 1997. Lincoln University Press. 72 pp with 2 plans and 75 b/w photos. Description of the community and harbour of Oamaru, East Coast of South Island, by Janet Frame. ISBN: 090904905X .
McLean, Gavin. Oamaru Harbour, Port in a Storm. Palmerston North, NZ. 1982. Dunmore Press. 176 pp 40 b/w photos. Ships wrecked. Port of the North Otago province, plagued by disasters, debts and dredging. ISBN: 0908564805.
Otago Witness Saturday 1st Dec. 1883. Papers Past site - bottom of page hand written in ink.
First sale town sections in Oamaru 26th May 1859.
The sale of 1st Nov. 1860 was the third and was held in Hassells Store.
Otago Witness, 3 April 1907, Page 9
Oamaru, March 26. General regret is felt here at the news of the death of Mr Thomas Forrester, the secretary for 35 years to the Oamaru Harbour Board. He had been resident in Oamaru for that period, and had made a very large circle of friends, by whom his geniality and kindly feeling were much appreciated. Mr Forrester was born in Glasgow on the 16th May, 1838, his father being a contractor and an export in modelling and decorative plaster work. He was educated in Glasgow, and studied at the School of Art there. He obtained a wide knowledge of drawing and art work of all kinds. He married on the 5th July 1860, and in June of the following year left Glasgow in the ship Pladda accompanied by his wife and parents. He started contract work in Dunedin where many fine buildings were being erected. On some of these, such as the Fernhill Club, may still be seen the decorative plaster work done by him. After a short association with Messrs Mason and Clayton, architects, he joined the late Mr R. A- Lawson, and superintended the erection of a number of buildings designed by that gentleman, among them being the one now occupied by the National Bank in Oamaru. The deceased took an interest in public matter; in Dunedin, and was superintendent of the Exhibition, held there in 1865, in the present Hospital building. In 1870 the Provincial Government employed him to supervise borings for the railway bridge over the Waitaki River. Settling in Oamaru he entered into partnership with Mr John Lemon, and drew the plans for a number of the largest and better known buildings here, including St. Paul's and Columba Churches and the Post Office. The partnership continued till the death of Mr Lemon in 1890 when the architect's business, was transferred to Mr J M. Forrester. His connection with the Oamaru Harbour Board began in 1871 when he was appointed secretary and inspector of work: In that capacity he superintended the construction of the breakwater mole and wharves. Mr John M'Gregor of Dunedin, being the engineer. He invented an appliance for lifting and deporting the large concrete blocks, of which the breakwater is constructed, but never patented it. The appliance however, greatly cheapened the subsequent works in Oamaru and elsewhere. The dredging of Oamaru Harbour was his suggestion, and contrary to the expectations of the experts, the work has been successful and of importance to the port. The plans for the new Holmes wharf were drawn by him and the wharf, now completed is regarded as one of the best constructed in the colony. To the scientific world he rendered important service. Under the direction of Sir James Hector he prepared the first geological survey map of New Zealand. The accidental discovery in a conversation with Sir Julius Von Haast of the diatomatious deposits of the Oamaru district aroused his interest and in company with Dr H. A. de Lautour he did a large amount of microscopic work of a scientific value. Correspondence from all parts of Europe was addressed to him on the subject, the deposit being regarded as one of the largest, most interesting, and most valuable in the world. In various local matters he took a keen interest, particularly in the Oamaru Athenaeum and the small museum collection. To the former he was treasurer for many years. His place in the community, especially in the Harbour Board, will be filled with difficulty his knowledge and his experience having made his advice there invaluable. He passed away on Monday evening after a brief illness. General sympathy is felt with his widow and his only on in their bereavement.
Timaru Herald, 18 July 1879, Page 2
Regarding the arrival of the Dunkeld, yesterday's North Otago Times says: The fine barque Dunkeld, Captain Finlayson, with pipes and other plant for the Oamaru waterworks, arrived from Greenock late on Tuesday evening after a passage of 104 days. She left Greenock on the 2nd April, and had S.W. winds down the Channel, beating the whole way. She passed Tuskar on the 6th of the same month, and for the following week encountered a succession of strong gales from the south and west. ... Passed Stewart's Island on the 12th inst., and arrived at the outer anchorage as above. The Dunkeld is an iron vessel of 1006 tons register, and was built at Dumbarton n 1877. She is classed 100 at Lloyds', and is now on her second voyage, her first trip having been to Adelaide, Newcastle, and San Francisco. She brings the following passengers, all for Oamaru : Mrs Frost, Mr and Mrs McIntosh, and child, Messrs Gray, Drummond, and Park.
The Times, Friday, Nov 16, 1934; pg. 15
It is more than 21 years since a tall ship with a white crow's nest crept at midnight into the tiny harbour of Timaru, and landed two officers with the tragic news of "Scott's Last Expedition." The next morning the world read in its newspapers a story of fortitude. "for my own sake I do not regret this journey, which has shown that Englishmen can endure hardships, help one another, and meet death with as great a fortitude as ever in the past.
North Otago Times, 21 January 1898, Page 1
Down by Pacific's mighty shore,
Adorned by Nature's hands,
Where the ocean foams and the breakers roar
The town of Oamaru stands.
To the westward Ho the hills,
Beneath it lies the bay ;
While all a vision fills
As bright as the dawning day.
The smiling azure skies
O'er it their glories fling,
While sounds of joy arise
Like songs of birds in spring.
It's stately buildings white,
Nestle midst foliage green,
Then, who desires to view a sight
More peaceful and serene?
No town to me's more fair
Than that city by the sea ;
May sunshine hover there ,
And sweet tranquility.
John J. Gallagher.
Kakanui, January 15th, 1898.
Papers Past Images online. NZ National Library.
Otago Witness online
In the earlier editions of 24 pages, the shipping page is usually page 12.
Editions of 32 pages: table of contents & BDMs page 18, the shipping page is usually page 14 or 16,
Editions of 44 pages: table of contents page 20, BDMs page 21, shipping page 18
When the paper had 48 pages is usually Table of Contents page 24 , Shipping News page 35
Contents page when the paper had 52 pages is usually page 26 with the shipping news on page 36. BDMs p. 27
Contents page when the paper had 64 pages is usually page 32 with the shipping news on page 46.
1854 NZ Marriage Act Jan. 6 1855 page 1 Roll of Electors for the Province of Otago May 26 1855 pages 2 & 3 Immigration rules Jan. 20 1855 page 1 Land regulations. March 10 1855 page 3 Qualifications of Electors March 27 1858 Mar. 08 1851 List of persons qualified to serve as Jurors for the District of Otago the year 1851 Feb. 24 1855 The Roll of Electors for the Province of Otago page 2 Oct. 08 1856 List of Unclaimed Letters at the Post-office, Otago Feb. 07 1857 Depasturing Licenses Mar. 28 1857 Jurors list for the Province of Otago for the Year 1857 page 2 & 3 Apr. 04 1857 Jurors list for 1857 for Otago page 2 & 3 Apr. 11 1857 Unclaimed letters Aug. 22 1857 Unclaimed Letters at the Post-office, Otago page 4 Nov. 07 1857 Unclaimed Letters at Dunedin, Otago page 5 Jan. 02 1858 Applications for Rural Land during the month of December 1857 Mar. 06 1858 List of applications for Rural Land during the month of February 1858 May 05 1860 List Claims for Electoral Roll of the Co. of Wallace page 7 Feb. 02 1861 List of persons qualified to serve as Jurors for the District of Otago the year 1861-62 May. 08 1858 Statistics of the Province of Otago, 1857 May 08 Land Regulations of the Province of Otago Supplement. page 9 July 03 1958 List of applications for Rural Land for the month of June Aug. 07 1858 List of Applications for Rural Land Invercargill during the month of July. page 4 Aug. 14 1858 List of Unclaimed letter Dunedin. P.O. page 4 Sept 04 1858 page 4 List of Applications for Rural Land during the month of August. Sept 18 1858 List of Applications for Rural Land Invercargill. Oct. 02 1858 Application for Rural Land for the month of Sept. page 3 Dec. 25 1858 Unclaimed ship letters at Dunedin P.O. page 4 Mar. 15 1862 Applications for Rural Land during the month of February 1862 pg 2 Mar. 22 1862 Applications for Rural Land pg4 Mar. 03 1898 pg 24 25th annual NZ Conference of the Aust. Wesleyan Methodist Church. The Roll was call. 102 names listed. Jan. 11. 1862 page 5 Annual Report of the Inspector of Sheep Mar. 31 1865 Appointments of Postmasters in Otago NZ Gazette 18th March page 14 c4 Feb. 04 1882 New Licensing districts - hotels Sep. 2 1887 Early History of New Zealand The Otago Settlement Page 15
Otago Daily Times 25 March 1882
Poem - Our Land by Oscar Brown, Gore, March 15th about page 26
Little Polly's Voyage by Eva L. Ogden page 28
Dec. 24 1886 page 20 & Dec. 31 page 17 'The Story of the Early Gold Discoveries in Otago'
New Zealand Bound
O my Luve's like a red, red rose
that's newly sprung in June;
O my Luve's like the melodie
that's sweetly played in tune!
As fair art thou, my bonnie lass,
So deep in luve thee am I;
And I will luve thee still, my dear,
Till a' the seas gang dry:
Till a' the seas gang dry, my dear,
And the rocks melt wi' the sun;
And I will luve thee still, my dear,
While the sand o'life shall run.
And fare thee weel, my only Luve,
And fare thee weel a while!
And I will come again, my Luve,
Tho' it were ten thousand mile.
Poem transcribed from 'Green Dolphin Street'.