'Otago Witness' arrivals 1883 -  August

NZ Bound   Index   Search   Hints    Lists   Ports

Shipping News  to Otago - August 1883 
New Zealand Bound

Reference online: Papers Past Images online.

January  | February | March | April | May | June | July | August | September | October | November | December

Transcription Otago Witness Saturday August 4th 1883 Page 15.  transcribed by Helen
Thursday. Departure.
Per Te Anau for Melbourne-

Chung Yoon 	Ling
Glassford 	Mrs
Irvine 		Mr and Mrs
Lawrence 	Mr
M'Coll 		Mr
Mountain 	Mr
Stout 		Mr R
Stubbins 	Mr
Tulloch 	Mr J
Ward 		Mr C

Monday. Departures.
Per Wanaka for Lyttelton-
Howorth 	Miss
Lockhart 	Mr
Mitchell 	Mr
Pearce 		Mr

Per Wanaka for Wellington-
Joyce 		Mr
Lyell 		Mr

Per Wanaka for Nelson-
Brindley 	Mrs
Bucholz 	Mr
Gordon 		Mrs

Per Wanaka for Sydney-
Miller 		Mr

Tuesday. Arrivals.
Per Waihora from Melbourne-

Byng 		Rev Mr
Curran 		Mrs
Dixson 		Mr
Gibson 		Mr
Goodman 	Mr
Haynes 		Miss
Haynes 		Mr
Haynes 		Mrs
Hutchinson 	Mrs
Munday 		Mrs
Sommervail 	Mr
Wise 		Mr
And 10 steerage

Per Auckland from London, (May 5)-

Ames 		Mr
Griffin 	Mr
Williams 	Miss
Williams 	Mrs
Williams 	Rev Mr

Second cabin:
Chambers 	Mr
White 		Mr and Mrs

Birkner		Messrs (2)
Fry 		Mr
Gammon 		Mr
Miller 		Mr 
Mo_re 		Mr
Neele 		Mr
Rogers 		Mr
S_arrow 	Mr
Smith 		Mr
Wilson 		Mr

The barque Cooleen took in the first of her Homeward cargo yesterday, in the shape of 1382 sacks of grain and is to complete loading at Oamaru.


The Wellington correspondent of the Lyttelton Times telegraphs:-
Wellington, July 30.

The New Zealand Shipping Company's chartered vessel the Catalonia was signalled this morning about half-past 7. By 8 o'clock she had brought up at her anchorage on the Queen's Wharf, to which she steamed at about half-past 11, after authorities had been on board. She has thus made the passage in a little more than 56 days from port to port. Out of this time she remained two and a quarter days at St. Vincent, and two more at the Cape. Her steaming is therefore something under 52 days. Coal has been economised since leaving Cape Town, and Captain Cotteer still has 450 tons to the good. From the Cape the big Cunarder has made 11 knots an hour on the average, but the ship's course may account for the rather long time occupied on this portion of the journey. Instead of going on the grand circle, as the Ionic did, and taking his vessel well south into about latitude 45 and making a clean run to New Zealand, Captain Cotteer had instructions to try and report at Cape Otway. He therefore ran down his easting in latitude 42, and then had to go up to Bass Strait. This naturally lengthened the voyage considerably. The ship signalled at Cape Otway and supposed she had been reported. Two deaths occurred on the passage, but otherwise the voyage has been uneventful. The ship draws 23ft forward, but only 21ft aft.
Those who died were William Jenkins (45) and Edward Brown (24), the cause being consumption. The latter died yesterday morning, and was buried at sea. Both men were steerage passengers, and were bound for Wellington.
The Catalonia is the largest merchant vessel that has ever visited Port Nicholson, being nearly 100 tons greater burden than the Ionic. She is, however, not nearly so beautiful a vessel as the other. Not only is she immensely high out of the water, but her lines are not so fine, and being a good deal shorter in length, and rigged with three masts in place of four, she does not make such an imposing appearance as the clipper White Star liner. Her fittings pale before the sumptuous appointments of the Union Company's boats, and I noticed one well-known commander in the fleet of that energetic body rather turning his nose up at the saloon today. Nevertheless everything appears comfortable enough in all reason. There are some complaints on the part of third-class passengers on the score of bad provisioning, etc., which are to be looked into tomorrow morning. The Hons. Rolleston, Dick, and other members of the Government inspected the big ship this afternoon. She goes South on Thursday.

No shipping Otago Witness Saturday August 11th 1883.

Transcription Otago Witness Saturday August 18th 1883. Pages 14 & 15.

Thursday. Departures.
Per Wairarapa for the Bluff-
Thompson 	Mr

Per Wairarapa for Melbourne- 
Albury 		Mr and Mrs and 2 children
Atkins 		Mr
Fettling 	Mr
Fotheringham 	Mr
Gibson 		Mrs and 2 children
Jack 		Mr
Owen 		Mrs and 2 children
Prouse 		Mr
Pullinger 	Mrs and family (7)
Sewell 		Mr

Thursday. Arrival.
Per British King from London and Plymouth (June 23)-

Say 		Mr L H
Boyd 		Misses (3) and servant
Boyd 		Mrs
Gorton 		Mr E H
Guthrie 	Mrs
Hay 		Mr E
King 		Mr A F B
Lambert 	Mr T
Lowe 		Miss
Lowe 		Mr E
Lowe 		Mr A T

Second cabin:
Ailardice 	Mr and Mrs and 2 children
B_aney 		Mr
Bassett 	Mr
Bethune 	Mr
Bryant 		Miss
Edwards 	Misses (2)
Firth 		Mr and 2 children
Good 		Miss
Hardie 		Mr
Kirkpatrick 	Mr
Leon 		Mr
Mathews 	Misses (2)
Nicolson 	Mrs and child
Pinkeard 	Masters (2)
Raymond 	Mr
Read 		Mr and Mrs and 4 children
Rigby 		Mr and Mrs and child
Saunders 	Mr
Smith 		Miss
Tozer 		Mr
Watson 		Misses (2)
Whorley 	Mr

107 adults and 30 children
Friday. Arrival.

Per Hawea from the North-
Cargill 	Mr E B
Charters 	Mr
Chisholm 	Mrs
Deacon 		Mr
Howarth 	Miss
Johnston 	Miss
Vang_on_ 	Mr
And 3 steerage

A cablegram was received on Thursday from London, by Messrs Roberts, Paxton, and Co., of this city advising that the iron barque Loch Dee, 700 tons register, which they despatched for the United Kingdom on March 3, with the first cargo of new season's wheat, has not since been heard of. As so many later despatched vessels have arrived without reporting her, it is feared she may never be heard of, and will have to be classed amongst the missing- Lyttelton Times.

The Union Steam Ship Company have received cable advices from Home of the satisfactory results of the trial trip of their express steamer Takapuna, and the intention to despatch her for New Zealand on the 17th inst.

Saturday. Arrival.
Per Gleniffer from Greenock (April 25)-

Miller 		Mr A

Second cabin:
Craig 		Mr
Duncan 		Mr
Duncan 		Mr and Mrs and child
Langley 	Mr
M'Intyre 	Miss
M'Kenzie 	Mr
M'Kenzie 	Mrs
Sanderson 	Mr
Simm 		Master
Simm 		Mr
Saturday. Departures.

Per Wakatipu for Lyttelton-

Bulson 		Mr
Bailey 		Mr and Mrs and family
Barrett 	Mr
Bethune 	Mr
Brown 		Mr
Chitt_ 		Mr
Chitty 		Mrs
Coombes 	Miss
Davy 		Mr
Evans 		Mr
Gaw_er 		Mr
Goddard 	Mr
Goodaker 	Mr
Gorton 		Mr
Griffiths 	Mr
Guthrie 	Mrs
Hall 		Mr
Hay 		Miss
Hay 		Mr
Hubrobus 	Mr
Kerr 		Mr
M'Lean 		Mrs
Mumford 	Mr and Mrs
Pearse 		Mr and Mrs
Pheney 		Mr
Pinkiert 	Master (2)
Pinkiert 	Mr
Stewart 	Mr
Totty 		Mr
Watson 		Misses (_)
Wherty 		Mr
White 		Mr and Mrs

Per Wakatipu for Wellington-

Anderson 	Mr
Banks 		Mrs and family
Bassett 	Mr
Bell 		Mrs and family
Body 		Mr and Mrs
Boyle 		Mr
Carroll 	Messrs (2)
Co_mbe 		Mr and Mrs and family
Dimock 		Mr
Forth 		Mrs and family
Fose 		Messrs (2)
Jardine 	Mr
Tel_ord 	Mr
Thiebes 	Mr
Wilson 		Mr

Per Wakatipu for Picton-
North 		Mr
Sutcliffe 	Mr

Per Wakatipu for Sydney-
Marune 		Mr
Alexander 	Mr
Allan 		Mr and Mrs and four children
Bell 		Mrs
Meinrath 	Mr
Menlove 	Mr, Mrs and Mrs
Scott 		Mr
Stevens 	Messrs (2)
Wilson 		Mr

Per Wakatipu for Newcastle-
Gott 		Mrs and family (4)
Graham 		Mrs and Son

Monday. Departures.
Per Taiaroa for Auckland-
Barsden 	Mr
Barsden 	Miss
Blighey 	Mr
Butwell 	Miss
Cotterell 	Mr
Crossl_y 	Mr
Draun 		Mr
Feltham 	Mr and family
Games 		Messrs (2)
Good 		Mr
Handy 		Mr
Hausman 	Mr and family
Hurst 		Mr
Jones 		Mr H
Lambert 	Miss F
Leslie 		Mr
Mathews 	Miss (_)
Maus 		Mr and Mrs
Millar 		Mr and Mrs and family
Morgan 		Mr
Nicholson 	Mrs and child
Nye 		Miss Jennie
Raymond 	Mr
Rigby 		Mr and Mrs and child
Scott 		Mr and Mrs and 3 children
Strafford 	Mr and Mrs
T_zer 		Mr
Tavendale 	Mr
Todd 		Mr
Wallings 	Mr
Watts 		Mr
White 		Mr
Young 		Mr

Per Hawea for Nelson-
Anderson 	Master
Anderson 	Misses (2)
Edwards 	Misses (2)

Per Hawea for Picton-
Blaikie 	Mr
Maclean 	Mr

Per Hawea for Taranaki-
Davy 		Mr and Mrs S

Tuesday. Arrivals.
Per Te Anau from Melbourne
Bailey 		Miss
Cutten 		Mr
Given 		Mr
Loft 		Mr and Mrs
And 14 steerage

Per Te Anau from the Bluff-
Higgs 		Miss
Nutter 		Miss

The s.s. Waitaki was floated out of the Graving Dock yesterday morning. She sailed in the evening for Timaru.
The s.s. Ringarooma will shortly be placed in commission again. She was docked yesterday for scraping, painting and cleaning.
The ship Auckland has been shifted over to the Export Pier. She has discharged two-thirds of her cargo, which is turning out in splendid order.
The ship Lyttelton commenced bending sails yesterday, and is expected to sail for London on Thursday. She has on board the following cargo;- 4241 bags wheat, 530 bales wool, 260 bales skins, 6145 carcasses of mutton, 630 cases preserved meats, 4 casks po_ts, 45 casks tallow, 50 tons scrap iron, 3 cases sundries, and a quantity of hares and other game.

Very quick despatch has marked the discharge of the s.s. British King at Port Chalmers. In two working days and a-half 2000 tons of cargo, a great part of which was transhipped to other vessels, has been discharged, and 20_0 carcasses of frozen mutton stowed in her refrigerating chamber. We take the following paragraph respecting her from the Daily Telegraph:- "Success to the New Zealand Shipping Company may be the begrudging wish. The Company has developed steamship communication between this country and that Colony, with which the line has been so long associated, in a manner, which betokens good results. The British King, which left Plymouth on Sunday, is a magnificent vessel in construction, and a fine vessel in her behaviour. Especially is the latter the case in rough weather, when the vessel ploughs through the waves as though the weather were the finest possible. This was evidenced in the run down Channel, when the Iberia, one of the finest boats of the Orient line which left Gravesend two hours before the British King, arrived at Plymouth seven hours after the New Zealand vessel.


The barque Gleniffer broke bulk yesterday, and commenced discharging cargo at the Railway Pier.
The steamer British King has taken in nearly 6_00 carcasses of mutton, besides other cargo.
It is rumoured that the Union Steamship Company have sold the steamer Waitaki to the Whangarei coal Company, and she is to trade between Auckland and Whangarei.

The following, published in a Home paper, will be read with interest by the many friends of Captain Kelly:- "On June 12 the Underwriters' Association made a presentation of 150 to Captain John Kelly, to Mr William Connell (chief engineer) 100 and 150 to be divided among the subordinate engineers and crew, in recognition of their efforts to save their vessel, the British King when she had grounded on the Pera Rock, off Ga[i?l?]le, some time in September last. The accident was caused by Captain Kelly deviating from his course and attempting to go over the Pera Rock, in the hope of avoiding a collision with another vessel. In striking she did such damage that two of her compartments filled with water. The captain took his vessel on to Colombo, a distance of 70 or 80 miles, and there beached her successfully, after encountering many obstacles, when she was within an hour of sinking. The underwriters highly complimented the recipients upon the discretion and zeal they had displayed under the trying circumstances." We may add that Captain Kelly is still in charge of the British King, which has just arrived at Port Chalmers on her second voyage to New Zealand.


The Daily Chronicle of June 25 gives an account of the loss of the New Zealand Shipping Company's barque Waitara through collision in the Channel with the ship Hurunui on June 22. The following is a statement made by one of the Hurunui's passengers:-"We had frequently sighted the ill-fated Waitara. She had left Gravesend the same day as ourselves, and was also bound for a New Zealand port- she for Wellington, and the Hurunui for Port Chalmers. On Friday we were off Portland. Soon after we had retired, I suppose soon after 10.15, I was awakened by a sudden shock. At the same time the captain burst into the cabin, ordering all hands on deck. A large vessel was at our bows, and its white ports showed plainly in the darkness. It had just ceased raining, but the moon was quite hidden in the mist. On ascertaining that the ship was safe at least for a few minutes- I rushed below to wrap up, in case we might have to take to the boats. I was not down two minutes. When I returned the other ship has disappeared, and the lifeboat was already launched in charge of the second mate, as well as another officered by our third mate. Rockets were sent up and bluelights burnt, to call the attention of other vessels. A large steamer was close at hand, but, although she must have seen our signals, she totally ignored them. A barque also was close at hand, and in answer to our hail promised to lie to and aid us, but she immediately left us. We had struck the vessel just above the saloon on the starboard side. One of the passengers said it did not seem to crash, but rather to cut through, the sides giving way like so much cardboard. We were soon busy attending to the rescued. These were two gentlemen from the saloon and the understeward. The Captain of the Waitara (Captain Webster) also had been marvellously saved. He was caught in the rigging and literally dragged away from the ship, but instantly returned to it in our lifeboat. After a complete search our boat returned. It brought back six more. One poor young fellow was absolutely numbed, but now, I am glad to say, is doing well, although at one time I despaired of ever bringing him round again. One gallant young fellow named Arnold gave up his buoy to a lady- the only one saved. He also succeeded in reaching the boat. We all thought these were the only survivors, and were overjoyed to find that five more seamen had found their way to the forecastle. I believe there are 16 rescued, and at present there are about 25 to account for. We were attending to the poor sufferers when we learnt the damage done to our ship, Hurunui. The damage was fortunately confined to the watertight bulkhead. Had it been otherwise, the disaster would have been far more heartrending. Our captain (Captain Hazelwood) was indefatigable in his exertions, and none can possibly appreciate too highly his exertions and the self possessed manner in which he both looked after the ship and strained every nerve to rescue as many as possible of the crew of the unfortunate Waitara. Captain Webster, too, strove hard to prevent any loss of life, for after they had brought some of the rescued back to our vessel, he again moved back to the spot where the dreadful catastrophe had taken place, and traversed again and again the same place, vainly endeavouring to augment the number of the rescued. Again, it is impossible to speak too highly of the officers and men of the Hurunui. All seemed strictly disciplined, and there was really no confusion. I believe none of the steerage passengers of the Waitata were saved. One of our lady passengers has rendered immense service in nursing the invalids, and has not been in her berth since the accident took place. We were fortunate enough to rescue the first mate, Mr Middleton; he was only just sensible when picked up and perfectly cold and numbed. He had been vainly endeavouring to launch a boat, but I suppose the calamity was far too speedy to allow it. Three minutes in fact, would have amply covered the time from when the Waitara was first struck till she foundered. The second officer, whose watch it was, was unfortunately not picked up. All the rescued are doing well."

[A direct result of this loss was that passenger embarkation was shifted to Plymouth.]

(Riverton Star)

On Sunday forenoon, the harbourmaster, Captain Tall, while on look-out at the signal station, observed the schooner Edith Reid and the ketch Prince Rupert both bound for Riverton, beating out of the New River Heads. Suddenly they both miss-stayed, and the Edith, being in the more dangerous position of the two at the time, went on to the rocks, and has since, we learn, become a total wreck. The Prince Rupert managed to recover herself and safely beat out, arriving at Riverton during the afternoon. Captain M'Leod, the owner of the schooner, was quickly informed of the accident by the harbourmaster. He proceeded to the scene of the wreck on Monday morning, but not yet having returned, we have been unable to glean full particulars with regard to the casualty and the full injuries the vessel has sustained. Although the distance between the scene of the accident and the pilot-station is some 12 or 14 miles in a direct line, Capt. Tall, by the aid of a glass, saw the accident quite distinctly, and described it as minutely as if he had been a spectator only a few yards distant. This was fully borne out by the account of the affair, which the master of the Prince Rupert gave when he arrived in the harbour in the evening. The two vessels left the New River for this port about the same time on Sunday morning, the master of each being anxious to make the quickest run across, to secure the best berth at the wharf here. The New River pilot, Captain Clare, signalled to the vessels not to try the bar, but no notice was taken of the signal. The Edith Reid was a handsome Tasmanian-built vessel of 7_ tons, and was owned by Mr D. M'Leod, of this town. She had only a few tons of potatoes on board. The vessel was insured for only 500-about half her value, so that her owner will be a heavy loser. Captain M'Leod has been very unfortunate for some time past, his vessels meeting with a succession of accidents necessitating heavy outlay for repairs, so that considerable sympathy is felt for him in this latest and most heavy loss.
The vessel was insured in the United Office for 500, half of which was reinsured in the Union Office.

Transcription Otago Witness Saturday August 25th 1883. Page 15.

Thursday. Arrivals.
Per Tarawera from Sydney-

Corbett 	Mr
Fitzsimmons 	Mr
Grace 		Master
Jones 		Mr
Lochead 	Mr
Lochead 	Mrs
M'Lean 		Mrs
Martin 		Mr
Ross 		Mr
Rothschild 	Mr
Saunders 	Master
Stevenson 	Mr
Sutherland 	Rev Mr
Taylor 		Mr
Warner 		Miss
Per Waimate from London (May 1[4?])-
Second cabin:
Rough 		Mr and Mrs
Lissaman 	Miss
Lissaman 	Mr and Mrs and family (4)
Odell 		Mrs
Smith 		Miss

Barry 		Mr W
Rusha		Mr and Mrs
Thursday. Departures.
Per Te Anau for Lyttelton-
Dodson 		Mr
Neish 		Mr

Per Te Anau for Wellington-
Nashelski 	Mr, Mrs and Miss
Smith 		Mrs
Thomson 	Mr

Per Te Anau for Napier-
Cassie 		Mr

Per Te Anau for Gisborne-
Lorie 		Mr

Per Te Anau for Auckland-
Baird 		Messrs (2)
Gowie 		Mrs and child
Maclaurin 	Mr
Rice 		Mr

Per Te Anau for Sydney-
Neilson 	Mr
Robb 		Mr

Per Te Anau for Levuka-
Taylor 		Mr

Friday. Departures.
Per Hauroto for Lyttelton-
Barry 		Mr
Lissaman 	Mr and Mrs and family (6)
O'Dell 		Miss
Smith 		Miss

Per Hauroto for Sydney-
Broderick 	Mr
Draper		Mr
Grant 		Mrs and family (3)
M'Farlane 	Mr
Nisbet 		Mr
Reed 		Mr

Per Tarawera for Bluff-
Williams 	Mr Wynn

Per Tarawera for Hobart-
Marshall 	Mr
Smith 		Mr
Thomson 	Mr
Williams 	Mr

Per Tarawera for Melbourne-
Davison 	Mr
Graham 		Mr and Mrs H
Humphrey 	Mr
Lum_den 	Mr
Seward 		Mr
Smith 		Mr

Saturday. Departure.
British King for London.
The quantity of coal required for the s.s. Catalonia is 1400 tons in her bunkers and 400 tons in her hold or a total of 1800 tons. This is said to be exclusive of what she uses while being in port running the two refrigerating engines that are worked while the meat is being carried into the meat-rooms. It may fairly be estimated that her visit to Lyttelton has caused the sale and export of 2000 tons of coal, a circumstance the importance of which is increased by the fact that the coal supplied is New Zealand coal, from the Westport and Greymouth mines. The New Zealand Shipping Company, as a patron of Colonial industry in respect of coal, thus figures as a customer for 20,000 tons per annum.

Monday. Departure.
Per Wanaka for Akaroa-
Jones Mr R

Per Wanaka for Lyttelton-
Holmes Mr G

Per Wanaka for Wellington-
2 Chinese

The ship Lyttelton took the following cargo for London:-

580 	bales wool	      10,600
32 	bales sheepskins 	  640
111 	bales rabbitskins 	2,553
6 	bales basils 		   60
12 	bales rags 		   60
45 	casks tallow 		  630
4 	casks pelts 		   40
630 	cases preserved meats 	1,280
3143 	sacks wheat 		3,143
6293 	carcasses mutton 	9,439

Total value		      28,445

The New Zealand Shipping Company's steamer British King left Port Chalmers at 2.10 p.m. on Sunday for London, via Lyttelton (where she is to complete her cargo), and as she steamed away from the pier the vessels in port paid her the usual salute by dipping their ensigns, a compliment she promptly returned. Her draught of water was 16ft 6in forward and 18ft 8in aft, and she ran down the harbour and cleared the heads in very smart style. The British King brought a remarkably good name with her, and during her stay in port her officers have proved that the encomium bestowed on them by the passengers who came out in her were well deserved, and they take with them the good wishes of all whose business has led them into communication with them. Both the British King and her officers will be cordially welcomed on their return to Port Chalmers. She took the following cargo:-

3791 	sacks wheat 		3,791
263 	bales wool 		 5,260
150 	bales rabbitskins 	 3,450
54 	bales leather 		 1,080
7 	bales sheepskins 	   140
34 	bales basils 		   340
31 	casks tallow 		   155
25 	casks pelts 		   250
7088 	carcasses mutton 	10,624 
6 	pkgs sundries 		   175
113	bags copper ore

Total value 		       25,265 

The ship Waimate is meeting quick despatch. In less than 11 working hours she has put out 400 tons of cargo.
The Oamaru dredge is now doing satisfactory work, lifting spoil from a depth of 20ft at low water. The speed of the machinery has recently been reduced with good effect.

Wednesday. Arrival.
Per Manapouri from Auckland-

___unsell 	Mr and Mrs, child and servant
Dogherty 	Mr
Graham 		Mr
Haines 		Dr
Logan 		Captain
Macrae 		Rev W
Marsden 	Mr
Patrick 	Mr
Rankin 		Mr
Redwood 	Mr (3)
Reynolds 	Mr
Schultz 	Miss
Smith 		Mr
Smith 		Mrs A M and child
Sumerton 	Mr
Taiaroa 	Mr
And 4 steerage

Wednesday. Departures.
Per Ringarooma for Lyttelton-
Baylies 	Mr
Har_orow 	Mr
Johnston 	Mr
Macgregor 	Mr
Winder 		Mr

Per Ringarooma for Wellington-
Jackman 	Miss
Johnson 	Mr
M'Intyre 	Mr

Per Ringarooma for Westport-
Binn 		Mr

Per Ringarooma for Napier-
Peter 		Mr J

Per Ringarooma for Auckland-
Paget 		Mr

The frozen meat trade is all the rage.