Miscellaneous articles from The Baltimore News, Oct. 21, 1918

These are miscellaneous articles from The Baltimore News, Monday, October 21, 1918:



Banty BERRY Tells The Police Negro Highwaymen Got His $266

Banty BERRY, 319 North Paca street, reported to the police yesterday that he had been held up by two negroes last night and robbed o $266. The alleged hold-up occurred on Louisiana avenue.

According to BERRY he was walking along the north side of Lexington Market when he was approached by the two Negroes. One of them asked him if he had any money. The second man went through BERRY’s pockets and extracted the money. The men returned BERRY’s empty purse to him and then made their escape.


Henry RITTER And Spouse Endeavored To Settle Differences With Fists

A fistic combat in which they became involved after but one week of married life proved costly to both Henry RITTER, 772 West Lexington street, and his wife, Mrs. Hilda RITTER, who faced Justice FRENY yesterday in Western Police Court on charges of disturbing the peace. RITTER was also tried for assaulting his wife.

Saturday an argument arose between the couple and before Patrolman PLACK appeared, RITTER is alleged to have struck his recent bride.

For her part in the misconduct Mrs. RITTER paid a fine of $11.45, while her husband parted with $37.90. He paid $11.45 for disturbing the peace and $26.45 for striking Mrs. RITTER.

Aged Man Injured By Train

John WITTMEYER, 77 year old, narrowly escaped death early yesterday when he was struck by a westbound Western Maryland train near Fulton Station. WITTMEYER’s agility, despite his age, probably saved his life. He was taken to the Maryland General Hospital, where it was found that he was suffering from lacerations of the face and head.


Eight million pounds of TNT stored at the Gillespie shell-loading plant at Morgan, N.J., were saved from destruction by the daring and courage of Lieut. Cyrus P. SMYTHE of the Army Aviation Service. When the big plant caught fire recently and blew up, destroying much property and laying waste the countryside, no one knew of the giant stores of TNT except officials of the company. Lieutenant SMYTHE was dispatched to fly over the scene of the explosion and direct the firemen in their fight against the flames. Hovering at a height of about a thousand feet, Lieutenant SMYTHE dropped instructions to the fire-fighters which helped save the explosives and probably save the entire Atlantic coast from the worst explosion known to history.


(Correspondence of the Associated Press)

Des Moines, Iowa, Oct. 20—Iowa claims to have the only woman weather observer in the United States. Miss Ethel D. SLAGHT of Des Moines, now "assistant observer" at the Federal Weather Bureau.

When her predecessor, Ross T. WADDELL, entered military service, Meteorologist Charles REED found it impossible to secure a young man o the necessary qualifications, so Miss SLAGHT was given the position.


Lieutenant DOUGLASS, Reported Killed, Informs Friends He Is Well And Happy

(Correspondence of the Associated Press)

Minneapolis, Minn., Oct. 20—"I am reported killed. It’s a mistake. Am well and happy."

This cablegram was received from Lieut. Addison DOUGLASS, former captain of the University of Minnesota basketball team and a member of the 1916 Gopher football squad, by his mother, Mrs. Louis BUTLER of Minneapolis.

A later cablegram indicated that a fellow officer of Lieutenant DOUGLASS’ had been killed in the first line trenches and the report to headquarters listed DOUGLASS by mistake.

Lieutenant DOUGLASS, who is well known in Big Ten athletic circles, reached France nearly a year ago as a second lieutenant in the Regular Army. He has since been commissioned a first lieutenant and a recent service bulletin mentioned him for a probably commission of captain.

He now has charge of ammunition supplies for the first line on one small strip of an American sector.

Will Direct Democrats

Washington, Oct. 20—The Democratic Congressional campaign this fall will be directed by Homer S. CUMMINGS of Connecticut, vice-chairman of the Democratic National Committee. CUMMINGS will take the place temporarily of Chairman Vance C. McCORMICK, who is chairman of the War Trade Board.


Take Advantage Of Police Conditions Brought About By "Flu"

Taking advantage of conditions existing in the Police Department at a time when the entire force is doing their utmost to check a further spread of the "flu," thieves have made their appearance in the city and succeeded in making several hauls.

By means if a duplicate key the apartment of Mrs. Ephraim MACHT, Park Circle Apartments, was entered and jewels valued at $1200 were taken from a chiffonier drawer. The loot consisted of two diamond ring and a diamond pin.

Forcing a screen in the window of the restaurant of Sewell BROWN, 113, North Eutaw street, thieves rifled the safe of $300 in cash, a quantity of whisky and a box of cigars.

A number of other reports less important were delivered to Marshal CARTER yesterday.


Isadore LEVIN is the son of Mrs. Hannah LEVIN, 565 North Gay street, and is a member of the Tank Corps stationed at Camp Colt, Gettysburg, Pa.

(I have spread some of these out a bit to make it easier to read.)

News of Maryland and the Virginias


Waynesboro—Mr. and Mrs. Ralph SMITH, Baltimore, spent the week-end as the guests of Mr. SMITH’s parents, Mr. and Mrs. David SMITH.

Miss Sallie BLAIR, Carlisle has returned home after spending 10 days with her cousin, Miss Mary BLAIR.

Private John NEAL, Fort Myer, Va., spent last week with his parents here.

Sergeant W. Rush FORTNEY, Washington, spent Sunday with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. J. H. FORTNEY.

Miss Helena McDONALD, Washington, has been spending a few days with friends in Waynesboro.

Mrs. George REED, Middletown, Ohio, is spending some time with her daughter, Mrs. C. F. NIEDENTOHL.

Miss Anna GARRETT, Washington, spent a portion of last week with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. William GARRETT.

Miss La Rue WAREHIME, who has been spending some time in Ashland, Pa., is now at the home of her parents for a few days.

Miss Frances BEARD, a student at Goucher College, Baltimore, is the guest of her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Daniel S. BEARD.

Miss Ruth KOHR, Philadelphia, spent the week-end here visiting friends.

Raymond MYERS is spending some time with his brother, Robert MYERS, Pittsburgh.

Norman M. SMALL spent a few days in New York city.

Mr. and Mrs. Harry MARTIN are spending two weeks with their son and daughter, Paul and Helen, Akron, Ohio.

Leo NUHRMAN, Washington, spent the week with his parents here.

Miss Margaret KENNEDY, daughter of Maj. M. C. KENNEDY, president of the Cumberland Valley Railroad Company, drove to Gettysburg with an automobile load of canned fruits and preserves for the soldiers who are ill. When she reached there and found such a large number of the boys sick she immediately volunteered her services. She was accepted and she will remain in the camp as a nurse until the influenza epidemic is past. Miss KENNEDY’s father is at present in France engaged in railroad work.

H. L. ECHELBERGER, Baltimore, spent a few days in Waynesboro.

Mrs. Albert HOFFMAN, of Tyrone, Pa., is here for a visit of three weeks with Mrs. John FURNEY and other relatives.

Miss Lillie BECHTELL and Lieut. Walter BOYER of Cincinnati, Ohio, were married at the home of the bride. The groom is a member of the Tank Corps, Gettysburg.

Miss Corinne LOWE, New York, who is visiting her mother, Mrs. M. E. LOWE, accompanied by several of her relatives, motored to the Antietam battlefield.

Mrs. Jennie SHIVELY has received word that her daughter, Miss Elizabeth SHIVELY, is convalescent from a severe attack of influenza at Camp Lee. Miss SHIVELY left Waynesboro in September to enter upon her (rest of this sentence is clearly a mistake) severe attack of influenza at Camp Lee.

Cadet Flier G. Herbert ERVIN, city editor of the Waynesboro Daily Herald, for several months prior to his enlistment in the United States Government service, and who is now stationed at Urbana, Ill., is spending a furlough with his mother, Mrs. George Ervin.


NORTH EAST—Rev. Dr. J. H. BICKFORD, pastor of the Methodist Episcopal Church, has been transferred from the Wilmington Conference to the Pittsburgh Conference and will li=eave here in a short time. He came to this conference from the Baltimore Conference and has been pastor at New Castle and North East.


ST MARY’S CITY—Cardinal RODRIQUEZ of Cuba has notified Capt. Alexander KENNEDY of St. Mary’s City of the death of the latter’s daughter, Mrs. Margaret BLANC, who, as Miss Margaret KENNEDY, attended St. Mary’s Academy, Leonardtown. Her sister, Mrs. James HERBERT, is a resident of Mechanicsville. The Cardinal states that he was with Mrs. BLANC when the end came and wrote most comfortingly to the bereaved family.


BOONSBORO—J. M. SCHILDTKNECT secured 46 pounds of honey from a swarm of bees that made their home in the weather-boarding of his house two years ago. The bees had entered the house above the second-story window and made themselves cozy between the weather-boarding and the plastering, where they have been working for two seasons. Honey is now worth 20 cents a pound.


BRUNSWCK—John L. JORDAN, whose funeral was held here Friday in charge of the Brunswick Lodge of Masons, interment being made at Petersville, was a former clerk of the Circuit Court for Frederick county. He was elected in 1891. Mr. JORDAN was 71 years old and had been a Justice of the Peace in recent years. He was one of the leading business men of the town for nearly 50 years and instrumental in changing its name from Berlin to Brunswick. Mr. JORDAN was a native of Washington county. He is survived by a widow, formerly Miss Amanda LYONS of Washington, and one daughter, Mrs. Evelyn BEAN.


ROCKVILLE—Miss Katherine N. NEWLON refused to wed Richard Edwin STUART, with whom she had eloped from Alexandria, Va., after a license had been secured at the Courthouse and the couple had reached the home of Rev. Rowland WAGNER. The ceremony was in progress when Miss NEWLON declared that although she loved the young man, she could not marry him because "it’s for too long a time."


MANCHESTER—Mrs. H. N. BURGOON went to Baltimore to nurse her daughter, who was suffering from influenza, and the mother, too, was taken ill, and both were unable to get a doctor. They phoned Mr. BURGOON, who took Dr. DENNER to Baltimore. The patients have recovered.


OAKLAND—It is given to few men to read their death notices. It is likewise very unusual for a man to see a letter inquiring when his own funeral is to be held. But this is what happened to Dr. Henry W. McCOMAS, a physician here. Dr. McCOMAS had been ill with the "flu," but is now well again. J. E. HARNED, proprietor of the Oakland Pharmacy, received a letter from a friend in Terra Alta, W. Va., asking when Dr. McCOMAS was to be buried.


LONACONING—Funeral services for August HOHING, former bailiff, who was 50 years of age, were held yesterday, Rev. Dr. Andrew ALLEN of the Presbyterian Church officiating. Mr. HOHING had been ill for ten days of "flu"-pneumonia. He is survived by his wife, two daughters, Mrs. John W. Jackson and Miss Margaret HOHING, a school teacher, and one son, William HOHING, a member of the Chemical Warfare Service, stationed at Camp Sherman, Ohio. He also is survived by four brothers, Edward F. HOHING and George HOHING, Lonaconing; John HOHING, Youngstown, Ohio, and Oscar HOHING, McKEESPORT, Pa., and four sisters, Mrs. Aram MUIR, Mrs. Martin EICHHORN, Mrs. Albert GUISBERT, all of Lonaconing, and Mrs. Percy Lee of Excelsior, Pa.



PETERSBURG—Capt. John S. GRAVES, camp personnel adjutant, who was last week promoted to the rank of major, has won a distinction not heretofore attained by any officer at Camp Lee. Major GRAVES, whose home is in Charlottesville, was sent to this camp about one year ago as a member of a quota of draftees. He was first assigned to the Headquarters Company, where he rose to be first sergeant. Last February, Major GRAVES was commissioned a first lieutenant and assigned to duty with the War Risk Insurance Office. With the departure of the Eightieth Division for France he was made camp personnel adjutant and was advanced to captain last July. He is a graduate of William and Mary College and also of the University of Virginia. At the latter institution he was a member of the Phi Beta Kappa and Raven Societies.


MARTINSBURG, W. VA.—George W. BUXTON, owner of Buxton’s brick plant, was found dead in the bathroom at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Henry FITZ, on Friday. The sudden death of Mr. BUXTON was due to his age of 79 years and to his weakened condition, brought about by a serious illness several months ago. Mr. BUXTON was a native of Bedford county, Pa., but had lived in Martinsburg for 50 years. During the Civil War he served in the quartermaster’s department in the Union Army. Since moving here he had been an active figure in the city’s business interests, and was a director in the Citizens’ National Bank. In addition to Mrs. FITZ, he is survived by another daughter, Mrs. Paul H. MARTIN.


HENRY, W. VA.—On Monday last one of the largest bears ever killed in this section of the country was brought into Henry by a man named ARONHALT, who killed the animal after having caught it in a steel trap in what is known locally as the Wilderness, about six miles east of Henry, on the headwaters of Stony river. The bear measured six feet four inches and weighed 200 pounds. Mr. ARONHALT stated that the animals are numerous in that section.


MARTINSBURG, W. VA.—One of the most pathetic cases since the epidemic of influenza began to rage here occurred when Mr. and Mrs. F. W. APPELL lost three small children within as many hours. Other cases arousing much sympathy were those of Mrs. Bessie WATSON and infant, both of whom died the same day, and Harvey PRICE, who followed his wife to the grave within a day. Martinsburg’s death toll as a result of the epidemic has passed the 150 mark.

After an illness of several days’ duration, Miss Esther TAYLOR, daughter of Dr. W. C. TAYLOR, pastor of the First Baptist Church, died of influenza at the age of 25 years. Miss TAYLOR is survived by her parents, three sisters and one brother. The remains have been taken to Petersburg for burial.


BLOXOM—Miss Katie GILL is spending a few days with her parents, Rev. and Mrs. John R. GILL, as her school has closed on account of the influenza.

Mrs. Stella LILLISTON of Philadelphia is visiting Mrs. Joe BLOXOM.

Mrs. BLACK of Philadelphia, who had been visiting with her sister, Mrs. W. W. KERNS has returned home.

Miss Bertie KILMON and Mr. Garland JENKINS were married by Rev. John R. GILL.



(Special Dispatch to The News)

Princess Anne, Md., Oct. 20—Mrs. Henry PAGE is visiting her daughter, Mrs. Claude E. MENTZLER, at Evanston, Ill.

Yeoman Mark L. COSLEN, stationed at the League Island Navy-Yard, Philadelphia, is spending a week with relatives here.

Mrs. John B. FLEMING has returned from a visit to her mother, Mrs. William B. LOCKWOOD, at South Bend, Conn.

Charles SMITH of Baltimore I visiting his parents, Mr. and Mrs. P. Mark SMITH.

Mrs. G. R. BALLOCH of New Bedford, Mass., is visiting her mother, Mrs. Samuel K. DENNIS.

Sidney BEAUCHAMP and Robert OATES, students at Mercersburg College, Mercersburg, Pa., are home until the reopening of the college.

J. D. WANDT, Jr., who enlisted in the United States Navy, has responded at the Radio School at Hampton Roads, Va.

Miss Leila BOUNDS, who had been the guest of Miss Addie BROWN, has returned to Washington.

Mrs. H. K. CARROW is visiting her daughter, Mrs. W. A. Hancock, at Felton, Del.

William C. HART, after a short trip to Beechwood, where Mrs. Hart and daughter are visiting Mrs. Hart’s sister, Mrs. Emily R. WATERS, has returned home.

Miss Charlotte TODD is home from Baltimore, visiting her parents, Mr. and Mrs. W. P. TODD.



Middletown, Md.—Oct. 20—Mrs. R. H. WARBURTON of San Francisco has been visiting her sister, Mrs. George W. KEFAUVER, after an absence from Middletown of 16 years. Mrs. WARBURTON, before marriage, was Miss Susie O. STONE, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John C. STONE of Washington, D.C., formerly of this place. Mrs. WARBURTON was married in California sever years ago and her husband died six months ago.

Miss Janet COWLING, one of the teachers in the Middletown School, is on a visit to friends at Easterly, Va.

L. H. SUMAN of Cumberland has been on a visit to his former home at Keedysville, Washington county, and relatives in Middletown.

Private Kahle ANDERS, who has been stationed at Fort McHenry, Baltimore, for some months past, is spending a week with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. C. V. ANDERS.

Mrs. Arthur DOWNING of Rehoboth Beach, Del., and Miss Nellie BILLINGSLEY of Baltimore, who have been visiting Mrs. L. E. McBRIDE at Brunswick, have returned home.

Miss Margaret WOLFINGER, an employee in the United States Navy Department, Washington, D.C., spent a few days with her sister, Mrs. Charles M. TEUFEL, this place. Mrs. Harriet WOLFINGER of Milton, Pa., mother of Mrs. TEUFEL, arrived here to spend the winter with her daughter.

Mr. and Mrs. J. Orville KEFAUVER of Mt. Savage, Allegany county, are spending a few weeks at the home of Mr. KEFAUBER’s parents, Mr. and Mrs. L. F. KEFAUVER, east of town. Mr. KEFAUVER is teaching at Mt. Savage, but all schools are now closed on account of influenza.



Sykesville, Md., Oct. 20—Rev. T. T. BROWN and Mrs. BROWN are on their way to Florida by automobile, where they will spend the winter in the open.

Marshall JONES of New York city, who has been visiting his brother William Mason JONES, has returned home.

Mr. and Mrs. Floyd SPURRIER and Mrs. Georgianna PHILLINGER of Baltimore visited Miss Minnie PHILLINGER.

Frank BLACK and Fred WAGNER of Dickinson College, Carlissle, Pa., are guests at the home of William Blunt.

Mrs. Mary GUNTRUM has returned to her home in Baltimore after spending a week with her daughter, Mrs. E. Frank FIELDING.

Howard HOOD, brother of J. Edwin HOOD, who had been serving with the Canadian forces in France, and who left an arm over there, has been visiting relatives and friends in this neighborhood. He was recently invalided home and expects soon to be ordered to Toronto, where he will be discharged. This young man was one of the contingent of 60,000 American lads who caught the vision before the United States entered the war and went to Canada and offered their service and their lives on the altar of liberty. He was sent across early and saw violent fighting. He was with the cavalry that did such remarkable execution in and around Vimy Ridge. The shell which tore off his arm and also wounded his ankle was thrown from a German gun 17 miles away. It killed a number of horses and frightfully wounded more than a dozen men. HOOD, known to all of our people, says the stories of Hun cruelty and barbarity are not exaggerated. Asked if it is true that Canadians take no prisoners, he said it was—that they had sworn over the graves of their comrades who were crucified by the Huns, never to take another prisoner.


He is a son of Mr. and Mrs. Stephen C. ELLWOOD, 827 Forrest street, and is a former Loyola College student. He joined the old Fifth Regiment about a year ago and received his commission at the Officers’ Training Camp at Atlanta, Ga. Before enlisting he was employed by the Topographical Survey Commission. Young ELLWOOD is now overseas with the Fifth Anti-Aircraft Battalion.


Mrs. Gamble, who was Miss JANNESS, is captain of the Motor Messenger Service in which she takes the greatest interest, and in which she is doing constant work. She is the wife of Dr. Cary B. GAMBLE.


Mrs. Gilbert L. LUCAS

Mrs. LUCAS, formerly Miss Sarah Bell WILLIAMS, is the wife of Lieut. Gilbert LUCAS, who is in the Flying Corps and who is stationed in Texas. She is in the Motor Messenger Service, and is doing very effective work.


While there will be comparatively few dances this season, the younger set will not be entirely without this kind of amusement. Among the dancing classes will be one to meet Friday evenings at Tuttle’s Hall. It has been arranged by Mrs. Daniel R. RANDALL, Mrs. Charles Morton STEWART, Jr., Mrs. Jesse B. RIGGS, Mrs. P. George CROMWELL, Mrs. Charles O’DONOVAN, Mrs. Van Lear BLACK and Mrs. Thomas B. HARRISON. The first meeting will take place after Thanksgiving, and the members will include girls not yet out and school boys.


The Mayor and Mrs. James H. PRESTON, Mr. and Mrs. Robert GARRETT, Mr. and Mrs. William L. MARBURY, Mr. and Mrs. R. Manson SMITH, Mr. and Mrs. Chauncey GAMBRILL, Mrs. Frank Sherwood HAMBLETON, Mrs. Clinton Paxton PAINE, Mrs. T. Harrison GARRETT, Mrs. Hugh Hampton YOUNG, Miss Minna LURMAN, Mr. Robert Oliver LEHR and Mr. J. B. Noel WYATT are among those who have taken boxes and will entertain parties at the first concert of the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra which will take place Sunday, October 27, at the Lyric. The audience will be a large and fashionable one, and the soloist will be Maggie TEYTE, the English prima-donna soprano.


Mrs. Wilson PATTERSON and her daughter, Miss Marjorie PATTERSON, who are spending the autumn at Woodland House, their country place at Delhi, N.Y., will later return to New York, where they will take rooms at the Hotel Wentworth. Mrs. PATTERSON will shortly go to Boston, where she will visit her nephew and niece-in-law, Brigadier General and Mrs. Neal HODGES.


Miss Alice BALL has returned from Provincetown, R.I., where she spent the summer and where she completed a number of paintings, and is at her town house, 213 West Monument street, for the winter.


Mrs. Swepson EARLE and her daughters are occupying their apartment at 906 North Calvert street, Lieutenant EARLE being stationed at Indian Head.


Mrs. Jackson PIPER and her daughter, Miss Adaline PIPER, who spent the summer at East Gloucester, Mass., and who have since been in New York, have returned to their residence, 1022 Belvidere terrace.


Hon. Cecil SPENCER Achieves Fame

Young Lieutenant, the Hon. Cecil SPENCER of the Royal Navy, who has just received the Cross of St. Michael and St. George for his conspicuous gallantry while in command of one of the channel motorboats in the operations that resulted in the blocking of Zeebrugge, being the last to leave the port, is the second of the three sons of the Earl of SPENCER and of the latter’s wife, now dead, who was the Hon. Margaret BARING, sister of Lord RAVELSTOKE. Cecil SPENCER is 24 years old and has already achieved note in the present war, having won the Distinguished Service Cross last year for his services in connection with the patrol of the channel. The young lieutenant makes his home at Althorp, the principal country seat of his father, Lord SPENCER, in Northamptonshire.

Althorp is a place which has been in the possession of the SPENCERs since long before the reign of Henry VIII, and possesses a particular interest to Americans. For Lady SPENCER, wife of that Sir John SPENCER, who so often entertained his kinsman, the poet, Edmund SPENSER, author of "The Faerie Queene," at Althorp, was a sister of Margaret, wife of John WASHINGTON, from whom the first President of the United States was descended. Lawrence WASHINGTON was not only the kinsman, but also the intimate friend of Sir John SPENCER’s grandson Robert, first Lord SPENCER of Althorp, and helped him to entertain Queen Anne, consort of James I, and their eldest son, Prince Henry of Wales, when they visited Althorp in June, 1603, for which occasion Ben Jonson wrote his "Masque of the Fairies," which was performed in the park on June 25 of that year.

Lawrence WASHINGTON, who died in 1616, lies buried in St. Mary’s churchyard, just above the wooded slopes of Althorp, and bordering on the churchyard are oak trees which were already there at the time of the acquisition of Althorp by the SPENCERs, during the War of the Roses. Charles I was at Althorp in 1647, when he received the first news of those approaching pursuers from whom he never escaped, save by the scaffold.

The late Lord SPENCER, half-brother of the present Earl, was very much interested in the connection of his family with the American WASHINGTONs, and in a letter in 1890 to a member of the SPENCER family of Talbot county, Maryland, the Earl stated that two members of his house, Nicholas and Robert SPENCER, sons of Nicholas SPENCER of Cole, 30 miles of Althorp, came to America with John and Lawrence WASHINGTON in 1657, all the young men being about the same age. Robert SPENCER, it is said, in the latter part of his life, went to Talbot county, Maryland, to reside, where he died, leaving descendants.

As for Nicholas SPENCER, his brother, he came by grant and purchase into the possession of large tracts of land on the Eastern Short of Maryland, which he owned as late as 167. He was finally induced by his ties of relationship and friendship to the WASHINGTONs to migrate to Westmoreland county, Virginia, where they had established themselves. He was better known as Col. Nicholas SPENCER, Secretary of Virginia and Acting Governor in 1683.


Mr. and Mrs. James M. MOTLEY have taken an apartment at 704 Cathedral street, which they will shortly occupy for the winter.


Mrs. John C. TALIAFERRO, Jr., who has been visiting Lieutenant TALIAFERRO’s parents, Mr. and Mrs. John C. TALIAFERRO, at their country place near Kingsville, Md., is spending some time with her mother, Mrs. Thomas OWINGS. Lieutenant TALIAFERRO is at Fort Sill.


The Saturday Evening Dancing Club will hold its dances on Friday, December 27 and March 28, in the Rose Garden of the Bellevue-Stratford, Philadelphia. The committee includes Mrs. Henry Brinton COXE, Mrs. R. H. Bayard DOWIE, Mrs. Charles F. DA COSTA, Mrs. Edgar SCOTT, Mrs. John White GEARY, Mrs. Tomas McKEAN, Mrs. Sidney THAYER and Mrs. Charlton NARNAN. (paper torn here, this is the best I could interpret)


Is Doing Work for the Y. M. C. A.

Mrs. Francis Louis SLADE of New York, formerly Miss Caroline McCORMICK, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. William G. McCORMICK, who has been an active member of the Junior League in New York, is head of the Overseas Women’s Division of the Young Men’s Christian Association, which will make its headquarters for the period of the war at the residence of Mrs. Anson Phelps STOKES, 230 Madison avenue, New York.

The house has been formally turned over to the organization and will be used to accommodate women workers of the Young Men’s Christian Association in New York prior to sailing for the other side. The house has accommodations for about 30 guests.

Mrs. SLADE’s sister, Miss Ruby McCORMICK, is overseas assisting with the war relief work.


Under the auspices of the Junior League the home on North Charles street between Read and Eager streets, for the relatives of the patients at General Hospital No. 7, will be opened as soon as the influenza epidemic has abated. Mrs. Clymer WHYTE will be the resident hostess and a committee composed of members of the Junior League will cooperate with her in the management.

Mrs. Albert D. GRAHAM is chairman of the committee in charge of arrangements for the opening of the house and Mrs. Chauncey Brooks BOSLEY is assistant chairman.

Among the members of Mrs. GRAHAM’s committee are Miss Juliana KEYSER, Miss Ellen KEYSER, Miss Nancy BREWSTER, Miss Katharine LEE, Miss Rosamond RANDALL, Miss Eleanor WHITELEY, Miss Mary Franklin CROMWELL and Miss Helen WHITRIDGE, president of the Junior League.



Mrs. John DE WITT, whose husband is with the United States Air Service overseas, is established for the season at 1206 North Charles street. She spent the week-end with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Charles O’Donnell LEE, at Needwood Forest, their country home near Knoxville, Md.


Miss Eleanor PENDLETON of Berkeley Springs, W. Va., daughter of Mr. Nathaniel PENDLETON, has joined Mrs. SHACKELFORD and Miss Shelby SHACKELFORD of Virginia at 1414 Park avenue for the winter. Miss PENDLETON, whose mother, the late Mrs. PENDLETON, was before her marriage Miss Agnes TAYLOR of Catonsville, daughter of the late Talbot J. TAYLOR of Cloud Capped, has many relatives here.


Mrs. Thomas P. HANDY, her daughter, Mrs. ELLICOTT, and her granddaughter, Miss Caroline ELLICOTT, have returned to Cloverlea, near Lake Station, after having spent the summer at East Gloucester, Mass. Miss ELLICOTT will be among the season’s debutantes. Mrs. Walter P. STURGILL, who spent the late summer at Cape May, N.J., and who has taken an apartment in Washington for the winter is visiting Mrs. HANDY, her grandmother, at Cloverlea. Colonel STURGILL, U.S.A., has been abroad for more than a year.


Miss BIGELOW Makes A Hit

Miss Dorothy BIGELOW, daughter of Mr. Poultney BIGELOW of New York, assumed the leading feminine role in "Maytime," last week in New York.

Miss BIGELOW is one of the few young women of social prominence who have found successful careers in musical comedy. After a run of more than a year, the company will leave New York for a long tour and Baltimore3ans will probably have the pleasure of seeing Miss BIGELOW here before the season is over. She has a large number of relatives here.

Miss BIGELOW made her professional debut in February m 1916, is "See America First," in the Princess Theater. Afterward she had an important part in "That Girl of Mine."


Miss Carolyn H. McCAY, daughter of Lieutenant Commander H. K. McCAY, U.S.N.R.F., was the sponsor at the launching of the United States steamer Partridge at the Chester Shipbuilding Company’s yard, Chester, Pa., last week.


Miss Kitty SANFORD, daughter of Mrs. Samuel King SANFORD, who spent the summer with her mother at Monterey Inn, is visiting in New York.


Mr. and Mrs. Harry Yoxall CHATTERLEY have announced the engagement of their daughter, Miss Marjory Yoxall CHATTERLEY, and Lieut. Nathan Ryno SMITH, Jr., U.S.A., son of Dr. and Mrs. Nathan Ryno SMITH.

Lieutenant SMITH, who is stationed at Camp Lee, Petersburg, Va., is a grandson of Mrs. George BROWN of the Green Spring Valley.


Mrs. Arthur ISELIN, chairman of the ladies’ committee representing the American Red Cross in connection with the National Horse Show to be held at Madison Square Garden, New York, November 11 to 15, has called together the members of her committee for a conference whose plans are to be formulated for the part which they are to take. Last year the committee comprised some 40 prominent women interested in war relief activities, and their work helped largely to make the Horse Show the brilliant success it was socially and otherwise, $63,000 having been turned over to the New York chapter of the Red Cross.

The directors have again volunteered to pay all the expenses of the exhibition and give all the proceeds to the charity represented by Mrs. ISELIN’s committee.


Mrs. Courtauld Wharton SMITH is visiting Mr. and Mrs. John Symington at Kennoway House, Rodgers Forge. Her daughter, Miss Margaret SMITH, who will be one of the season’s debutantes is the guest of her aunt, Mrs. William Gilmor HOFFMAN.


The appointment of Capt. Walter S. CROSLEY, U. S. N., as naval attaché at Madrid, Spain, is of interest here. Mrs. CROSLEY was formerly Miss Pauline STEWART of Georgia, a cousin of Mrs. George Corbin PERINE, and while Captain and Mrs. CROSLEY were stationed at Annapolis a few years ago they frequently visited Baltimore. They have since been at Petrograd, where he was naval attaché.


Mrs. Wilson WEATHERLY, who spent the summer at Monterey Inn, has returned to her apartment at the Preston. Lieut. Carroll WEATHERLY is in France with the United States Air Services, having gone over last October.


Mr. and Mrs. Buxton M. RIDGELY are occupying the apartment they have taken at the Walbert. Mrs. RIDGELY’s brother, Col. Charles H. GAITHER, and his daughter, Miss Henrietta GAITHER, will spend the winter with them.


Will Meet Every Wednesday

The Surgical Dressings Class of the United Daughters of the Confederacy, which has been meeting at the Young Women’s Christian Association, will meet every Wednesday hereafter at the Eleventh Ward Red Cross Community House, 916 North Charles street, from 10 A.M. to 5 P.M. Mrs. Charles E. PARR, president of the Maryland Division, United Daughters of the Confederacy, and chairman of the Red Cross Circle, urges all members to come early and pledge the entire day to the work, as the need is very great.


Mrs. Mary S. Naudain DUER, formerly Miss Josephine POE, who has been visiting Mrs. William G. WETHERALL at her home in Baltimore, has returned to Newtown Square, where she will be until late in November, when she will occupy her town house, 1916 Pine street, Philadelphia. Mrs. DUER and her sister, Miss Margaretta POE, spent the summer at Beaver Camp, Maine, where thy had a number of Baltimore girls with them.


Mr. H. V. MAREES, 101 Ridgewood road, announces the engagement of his daughter, Alma Claire, to Mr. G. N. STIEFF of 194 Ridgewood road, Roland Park.


Got A Job For Chicago Girl So He Could Sell Bond

Chicago, Oct. 20—"Find me a job and I’ll buy a Liberty bond," declared Miss Venice BRAKE, when a Great Lakes bluejacket, acting as a bond salesman, accosted her today.

The bluejacket started out. Five minutes later Miss BRAKE had a position as telephone operator in a large department store and the sailor had another subscription on his list.

Commended by DANIELS

Washington, Oct. 20—John W. HILL, Manchester, N. H., was today commended by Secretary DANIELS for his presence of mind and daring in saving a seaplane from destruction.

For the first time in 31 years, James W. OWENS, the Annapolis lawyer and Confederate veteran, met his daughter, Mrs. Millwood HEWITT, of Denver, Col., when she came East to see her son, John HEWITT, of the Quartermaster’s Department, Washington, who was ill of the "flu" in Walter Reed Hospital. Young HEWITT later died of pneumonia.


Tyrus Raymond COBB

Ty was recently commissioned a captain in the Chemical Warfare Service and will soon set sail for France. Baseball’s greatest star has long had a hankering for the war game and his arrival "over there" will surely meet with the approval of every doughboy, poilu and Tommy who is now chasing the Hun back to the Rhine.


Many Professionals Are Found At The Great Lakes Naval Training Station

(Correspondence of the Associated Press)

Great Lakes, Ill., Oct. 20—The first call for soccer has gone out at Great Lakes Naval Training Station. It has been answered by more than a score of the highest-paid professionals in the game who are now on the station in "gob" uniforms. From advance indications the Navy will have practically an all-star eleven.

The majority of the players who reported in the short pants and spiked shoe were from the crack professional leagues around St. Louis where soccer has reached its maximum efficiency in the West.

"Hap" MARRE, clever captain of the Ben Millers, 1917 Western champions, probably will hold down center forward. Pete McLOUGHLIN, who toured the East several years ago with the crack St. Leos of St. Louis, is in the same regiment with MARRE, and doubtless will line-up at one of the forwards.

Return to home