Miscellaneous articles from The Baltimore News, Oct. 4, 1918.

These are excerpts from The BALTIMORE NEWS. There is no date on these sheets, which are from the inside of the paper. However, several of the articles are dated October 3. I’m assuming 1918, since the other papers have been that year.


Corporal Maurice E. PORTER

Corporal PORTER is reported killed in action September 6. He was the only son of Sergt. Maurice E. PORTER of the Southwestern police district. Corporal PORTER was 27 years old, and enlisted in September 1917, from his home, 2113 West North avenue. He was assigned to the One Hundred and Eleventh Infantry, and sailed for France last May.



Lieut. Chandler SPRAGUE, And Philip MAURER Praised for Heroism

Lieut. Chandler SPRAGUE and Philip MAURER, 423 North Ellwood avenue, have been cited for gallantry in action by General PERSHING. Although the citation has just been made, Lieutenant SPRAGUE has been back in the United States for several weeks and is now at Camp Kearney, Cal., as an instructor.

Lieut. SPRAGUE was an aid to Brigadier General GAITHER when the National Guard of Maryland was called into Federal service. When General GAITHER was retired Lieut. SPRAGUE was transferred to the One Hundred and Fifteenth Infantry. He was in France only a short time, but participated in a number of daring raids. He was wounded by a piece of shrapnel and wore a wound stripe on his right sleeve when he stopped off in Baltimore on his way to California.


Widow of the late Viscount Ingestre, who was recently married to Richard F. PENNOYER, Secretary of the United States Embassy in London. Her four-year-old son is now Viscount Ingrestre. He is blessed with a formidable list of names—John George Charles Henry Alton Alexander Chetwynd CHETWYND-TALBOT—and is a godson of King George and Queen Mary.

Miss Florence BULLARD of Glens Falls, N.Y., an American Red Cross nurse serving in France, has been awarded the French War cross for "imperturbable sangfroid under the most violent bombardment during Mary and May." The citation praised her bravery under fire and her attitude toward the wounded "when bombs burst near."



William BEARD of E street has enlisted in the Army as a mechanic.


Dr. D. P. LILLICH, manager of the drug department of the Bethlehem Steel Company, has returned from York, Pa., where he visited his parents. Dr. LILLICH has entirely recovered from an operation for appendicitis.


Arthur COX, son of Mrs. Bertie COX, 330 D street, and Frank KERSCFHNER, son of C. H., KERSCHNER of Edgemere, matriculated at Dickinson College, Carlisle Pa., last week.


Mrs. Harry GILL, 726 E street had as a guest last week her mother of Baltimore



Lieut. E. Berkely IGLEHART, United States Army (retired), one time commandant of cadets and instructor in military science and tactics at St. John’s College, who has been an invalid for years, is visiting relatives and friends in the city. Some years ago, while he was assigned to St. John’s, Lieutenant IGLEHART suffered a stroke of paralysis, from which he has never recovered. The stroke partially affected one side, and also his speech. He has undergone various forms of treatment, which have improved his condition to some extent. He maintains his characteristically happy disposition, can utter a few words, and is able to be about, although his limbs still are impaired.—Annapolis Evening Advertiser


William McCARTER found in a Hagerstown street when digging down to the old street level a cent issued by the Province of Connecticut prior to the Revolution. It has King George’s head on it and date blurred.


An old Conestoga wagon, such as was used when this nation was without railroads, to haul flour and other produce from this section to Baltimore, and which made possible the opening up of the great Western prairies will be exhibited at the Hagerstown Fair. The wagon is one made in 1762, and is still in excellent state of preservation. It is complete with sideboards, feed trough, canvas, bowing, tar bucket, etc. The wagon is owned by John M. MARTIN, Welsh Run. It was built for Jonathan KIEFFER, and was formerly used to haul flour from KIEFFER’s mill to Baltimore. J. B. YOUNG, this city, owned this wagon 45 years ago. A team will be hitched to this wagon, probably with bells as years ago, and will be driven about the grounds as a reminder of the chief means of transportation of freight in this nation a century and a half ago. The wagon has carried as much as 10 tons.—Hagerstown Globe


N.J. Swains Who Use Flivver Now Haven’t a Chance

(Special Cedar Grove N.J. Dispatch in the New York Tribune)

When the young bloods of this part of Jersey crank up their flivvers and speed away to call on Miss Virginia SOVEREL they might as well abandon at once the hope that the clatter and dust of their approach are going to stir up any perceptible admiration from that young lady. Not a chance!

After having a caller in an aeroplance, the approach of a swain in a road coach means nothing in the life of Miss SOVEREL. Her one regret is that she was out when her air visitor called.

Clinton SOVEREL, father of Virginia, was perched upon his roof tree yesterday, repainting the shingles, when the roar of a motor sounded overhead. Down upon him was swooping a big plane. Mr. SOVEREL, by rare presence of mind, let his paint pot fall instead of himself, and flattened out, hoping the machine would miss him.

It passed close over his head and dropped a message which read:

"Is Miss Virginia in?

"Lester J. SWEELEY"

Lester is a lieutenant in the Fifty-second Air Squadron at Mineola and until he swooped down upon Mr. SOVEREL was popular with that gentleman, but after being saved from what he believed to be approaching disaster, the gestures by which Mr. SOVEREL indicated that his daughter was not home were so violent that the airman did not alight, but headed back for Long Island.


Was Famous Actor and Playwright of the American Stage

(From the New York Sun)

Edwin Hunter Pendleton ARDEN, who dropped dead yesterday, was one of the best-known actors and playwrights of the American stage.

Mr. ARDEN began his dramatic career in the support of Thomas W. KEENE in Chicago in 1882. He was born in St. Louis and educated in the public schools there. New York first knew him in 1883 when he appeared with the Madison Square Theater Company in "Young Mrs. Winthrop." Later in the same season he was in "The Russian Honeymoon" company. He next went to the Boston Museum Company in the support of Edwin BOOTH, Dion BOUCICAULT and John GILBERT, and the next season found him with the Edwin Booth Company.

He appeared in a round of legitimate parts in New York in 1885 and from 1886 to 1895 toured the country at the head of his own company, which presented an extensive repertoire, including many plays which were written by ARDEN himself. Among his plays were "Eagle’s Nest," "Barred Out," "Raglan’s Way" and "Night and Morning."

It was said that his father was an officer on the staff of General SHERMAN and later an editor with the St. Louis Republican, and his stage connection was said to have been due to the fact that his father was named as receiver for the Grand Opera House in St. Louis and ARDEN, then a mere boy, was detailed to look after the finances of the company then playing at the house. It was during this work that he met KEENE, who took a fancy to him and offered him an opening with his company.

Thomas W. KEENE, Dion BOUCICAULT, Edwin BOOTH, Clara MORRIS, John GILBERT, William H. CRANE, Julia ARTHUR, Elsie FERGUSON, Marie TEMPEST, Viola ALLEN and Mme. SIMONE were a few of the stage folk with whom he had been associated before the day came when the versatile genius of the legitimate went to the movies.

One of his most notable moving-picture engagements was in "The Exploits of Elaine." Since his advent in the screen work Mr. ARDEN had done much work, both as a writer of plays and as an actor. He had been rehearsing during the last three weeks with "The Three Wise Men," which is to open soon.


Flying in three aeroplanes, Lieutenants SCHOFIELD, MELICK, DAVIS and COLLINS and two enlisted men came Baltimore from the Aberdeen Proving Grounds Wednesday to visit Lieut. (?)ul TOBEY and Sergeant DRAKE. Lieutenant TOBEY and Sergeant DRAKE were injured at Pimlico on Saturday when their machine struck a signboard. They are now at the Union (?)estant Infirmary. The visitors landed at Pimlico and then went to the Infirmary to see their injured comrades.



CHESTERTOWN—Capt. Paul J. WILKINSON, who has been taking a course in gun fire at Camp Perry, Ohio, has been transferred to Camp Grant, Illinois. His wife, who had been a guest of her mother, Mrs. William R. ALDRIDEGE, here for several weeks, has joined her husband in his new camp. He had been previously stationed at Camp Gordon, Ga.


UTICA—Funeral services for Mrs. Edna ENGLE, wife of McClelland ENGLE, were held yesterday. Mrs. ENGLE died of pneumonia, aged 39 years, and one of her sons, Elmer H. ENGLE, aged 19, is now ill with the same disease. She is also survived by one daughter, Mrs. Oscar WHITMORE of Creagerstown, and two other sons. She was a sister of Mrs. Frank STEVENS of Creagerstown, Mrs. Dutton HERBERT of Hagerstown and Mrs. Jennie GAVER of Frederick.


Dr. T. Clyde ROUTSON, county health officer, says are 1000 cases of Spanish "flu" in the county. The epidemic being especially severe in Buckeystown district, where whole families are ill.


CUMBERLAND—Miss Grace Ann GETZENDANNER, youngest daughter of Phineas GETZENDANNER, Chief Judge of the Allegany Orphans’ Court, and Dr. James P. DEWHURST were married at the rectory of St. Patrick’s Catholic Church by the Very Rev. Edward J. WHEELER. Dr. DEWHURST is a lieutenant in the Dental Reserve Corps, ordered to active service Saturday.


HAGERSTOWN—Among the exhibitors at the Hagerstown Fair on October 15-18, will be John M. DENNIS, who will send 18 show cattle from his Baltimore county farm.


MT. SAVAGE—Coroner J. B. FINAN found that the automobile accident in which Max CRUMP, aged 19 years, was killed, was unavoidable. The youth stepped from behind another machine in front of that of E. T. BROKERMARKLE and his skull was fractured. He died at the Allegany Hospital in Cumberland. CRUMP was a son of Mr. and Mrs. George CRUMP and has two brothers in the Army in France, David and Ellsworth. Other survivors are his brothers Henry and George, Mount Savage, and sisters, Mrs. Charles MEARS, Jasonville, Ind.; Mrs. Perry BLANK, Mount Savage and Mrs. Elton VANNESS, Youngstown, Ohio.


Snow Hill, Md., Oct. 3—Jurors drawn for the October term of court by Judge BAILEY, which begins October 14, are:

First District—H. Merrill WALTERS, Robert CLUFF, Henry C. MARSHALL, Wm. H. MERRILL, Eugene W. VEASEY, Theodore RICHARDS, Charles C. DIX, Levin E. PUSEY.

Second District—David S. HUDSON, James B. ROBINS, David J. BRADFORD, Marion T. HARGIS, Jacob B. STURGIS, William T. HEARNE, George W. TRUITT of S. [sic], Charles E. HILL.

Third District—John W. BODLEY, Charles FISHER, Sewell W. JONES, Samuel T. QUILLEN, Edward RAYNE, Harry C. LUDLAM, Alfred D. MUMFORD.

Fourth District—J. Holand SMACK, George A. SMACK.

Fifth District—Edward A. COLLINS, James BISHOP, Sr., Everett M. LAYTON.

Sixth District—John E. SHOCKLEY, Peter TARR.

Seventh District—Edward B. DENTON, A. C. HOTTENSTEIN, John W. FALKNER.

Eighth District—George T. WATERS, Frank E. TARR, Charles L. HILL, David H. TAYLOR, William S. BONNEVILLE, Edward S. HANCOCK, Peter W. SCARBOROUGH.

Ninth District—John RAYNE, William BBAILEY, Hillary HUDSON, R. Fulton POWELL, Thomas J. FASSITT, John L. DALE, Avery D. NOCK.




Private E. J. SWARTZ writes his parents, Mr. and Mrs. H. C. SWARTZ, Hagerstown, that "I have an apple tree for a house."


In the July fighting, Private Alpheus N. BEALL, Hagerstown, writes only 17 men in his company of the One Hundred and Eleventh Infantry, made up mostly of Pennsylvania soldiers, were not hit. A large proportion of the company was killed. He was in battle for five days.


Corporal James Hewitt PATTON of Company D, One Hundred and Ninth United States Infantry, Twenty-Eighth Division, formerly of Kent county, was killed in action in France on July 16, 1918. He was reared by Mr. and Mrs. John T. MOFFATT of Worton with whom he lived until a few years ago when he went to Philadelphia, where he remained until he enlisted in the Army. He was a member of Wesley Chapel Methodist Protestant Church and was 24 years old.


Private W. H. E. DOBBINS writes a Hagerstown friend that he hears other Hagerstown boys are near him in France, but he has "no time to run around and greet them, as Fritz keeps me pretty busy dodging shells.


"France is a much different country from the United States as the women do all the work," is an observation of Private Thomas M. KENDALL, Three Hundred and Thirteenth Trench Mortar Battery, in his first letter from overseas to his mother, Mrs. Annie KENDALL, Chestertown.


Private Leon HICKS sent his father, Samuel HICKS, Chestertown, a vase made from a French shell.


"Just as likely as not I will not be in any danger at all, though you can never tell just what will happen. Of course victories cannot be won without some sacrifice on the victor’s part, but the best part is that sacrifice is not in vain, and the success will be more glorious for it." says Corporal Harry T. HADAWAY, United States Army Ambulance Service, with the Italian Army, in a letter to his grandmother, Mrs. Alice P. HADAWAY in Kent county.


A member of the One Hundred and Twelfth Machine Gun Battalion from Westminster writes home: "No, we are not in Berlin yet, but will get there by and by. Fritz gave us gas for an eye opener this morning. I was asleep and sort of woke up and smelled the stuff, which sort of smells like mustard, and it took but a few seconds to get my gas mask on. You said in your last letter you hoped our machine guns were getting the Boche. Well, they are, and the boys love to see the guns working at full speed. When the artillery and machine guns and every thing else opens up, hell is sure broke loose. We are hearing the sounds of shells going through the air and the reports they make when they strike the earth is a sweet little whistle. We are learning the difference in the sound of the gas and other shells.


"It wouldn’t surprise me at all if we should have Boston baked beans and chicken a la Maryland served to us in Berlin, or at least on German soil, on Christmas Day." Writes Lieut. Theodore DAMM to Secretary William H. LEWIS of the Cumberland Young Men’s Christian Association. "America sure is doing herself proud in this old war," he continues. "The French think the world of the Yanks, and there’s no wonder. They are all heroes. To hear them talk of the coming battle, or of the one just past, as though they were discussing a big football game, makes you wonder at their courage. They have the stuff to tick the Huns, all right, and, with the help of the good God, they will do it this year. They seem to have absolutely no fear. They face machine-gun fire as though it were a bees’ nest, and to see their pals drop by their side only makes them push forward all the harder. They always win. They can’t help it. They are Yanks with good old American blood coursing through their veins, and the Hun is beginning to realize the fighting spirit of the Yank. He is nervous and all unstrung. He can’t figure out what the Yank is going to do next. And the Young Men’s Christian Association is playing a wonderful part in this big war. It follows the boys right up into the front line and brings them American cigarettes, tobacco and chocolate."


Graphically describing battles at the front, in which he had participated, Lieut. Earl L. HARGETT of Frederick. Lieutenant HARGETT was at the front six months and took part in the big American drive in the middle of July. He is now in a rest camp. The weeks following the drive, which started about July 20, were the most exciting ever spent by him, said Lieutenant HARGETT. He states that there were only 13 casualties in his battery, although they were at the front for six months. Lieutenant HARGERTT says the greatest need now is an unlimited supply of aeroplanes to protect the Yanks from the German airmen.


Getting out of the trenches after 17 days and nights, during which time he was in the thickest of heavy fighting, Private Hugh SCOTT, formerly connected in an official capacity with the Cumberland and Westport Electric Railway Company, at the Company’s Frostburg office, writes his father, John SCOTT, that a million dollars could not buy his experiences so far gained in the world war. SCOTT is a member of the One Hundred and Seventeenth Regiment, which was drilled at Camp Meade before going over eight months ago.


(Special Dispatch to the News)

Frederick, Md., Oct. 3—Officers elected by the board of directors of the Frederick County Free Library are: Miss Bertha TRAIL, president; Mrs. Joseph D. BAKER, vice-president; Miss Lou JOHNSON, secretary; Miss Emma NEWMAN, registrar; C. E. CLINE, treasurer. Mrs. Harry HALLER, Mrs. Richard ROSS, Prof. John L. SIGMUND, Prof. Joseph APPLE and Miss Eleanor ELDER constitute the book committee. Miss TRAIL, Mrs. DUTROW, Miss Lou JOHNSON, Mrs. CLINE and Rev. Henri L. G. KIEFFER were elected as members of the executive committee. The directors are as follows: Prof. John L. SIGMUND, Miss Emma NEWMAN, Mrs. R. N. RAU, Mrs. Eleanor TULL, Miss Lillie KELLER, Mrs. R. E. TOWN, Mrs. Ignatius BJORLEE, Miss Grace HEIDIG, Mrs. Albert BROWN, W. A. RIDDLELL, Mrs. W. Clinton McSHERRY, George DENNIS, Mayor Lewis FRALEY, Dr. U. S. G. RUPP, Rev. Henri L. G. KEIFFER, Dr. Joseph APPLE, Mrs. Frank NEWMAN, Mrs. T. B. HAYWARD, Mrs. J. O. HENDRIX, Miss Mary C. OTT, Mrs. D. T. ORDEMAN, Miss Bertha TRAIL, Mrs. Jacob ROSENSTOCK, C. E. CLINE, Mrs. Harry HALLER, Mrs. Hammond URNER, Mrs. Hayes BROWN, Mrs. Arthur WILLARD, Mrs. J. D. HENDRICKSON, Miss Eleanor JOHNSON, Miss Lou JOHNSON, Mrs. Richard ROSS, Mrs. R. S. J. DUTROW, M. G. TURNER, Mrs. F. L. STONER and Mrs. Joseph D. BAKER. Miss Eleanor ELDER is the librarian.


CHAMBERSBURG—Sheriff Enos HORST has offered a reward of $60 for the capture of the five prisoners that made their escape from the Chambersburg jail a few days ago. It is thought that the men are in hiding in the mountains nearby and are being fed by friends.


WAYNESBORO—Mrs. Theodosia NIXON, Chambersburg, has received official notice that her son, Lieut. James G. NIXON, has been severely wounded in France.



ONANCOCK—Albert S. J. HOPKINS, who is now on the firing line, has been made a sergeant major. He writes home of the customs of the French people. He stated that in one province he visited the children wear long dresses and move about like miniature old women. The women wear lace caps, while the men adorn themselves with the broad-brimmed black velvet hats with long streamers. All wear wooden shoes. The meals are served in courses.


Mrs. G. H. POWELL is in Philadelphia.


Mrs. T. J. HANCE of Baltimore is visiting her niece, Mrs. E. T. WATERS.


Mrs. S. R. NELSON of Baltimore is being entertained at the home of Mr. and Mrs. W. S. NELSON.


Mrs. R. T. AMES is in Washington, the guest of her son, Lieut. Col. John R. AMES.


The Eastern Shore Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution, met with the Misses AMES at their home in Pungoteague.


Dr. James C. DOUGHTY, first lieutenant in the United States Navy, who is stationed at Paris Island, is spending a vacation with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. L. R. DOUGHTY.


EASTVILLE—James BROWN is visiting his parents, Mr. and Mrs. William BROWN.


William MEARS is visiting his nephew, Sheppard MEARS, in Savages Neck.


(Special dispatch to The News)

Princess Anne, Md., Oct. 3—Somerset Court has been postponed until October 28. The September term was opened by Judges BAILEY and DUER, who announced the postponement after drawing the juries. The grand jurors were Isaac H. TAWES, foreman; John L. KNOTT, Harry CLUFF, Nolan V. ROSS, Lee Carey, E. L. BROWN, Theordore B. RAEID, Clarence W. STRICKLAND, Alonzo L. CAUSEY, George L. PATTERSON, James E. DASHIELL, O. Melvin PRUITT, Edward P. WYATT, Leonard S. TAWES, William C. MUIR, Paul COULBOURN, John T. STERLING, Royer A. MILES, Edward T. COULBOURN, Charlton C. TAYLOR, George W. DASHIELL. After the charge was delivered by Joseph L. TAYLOR, the jurors were (paper torn) and completed their labors in a few hours, finding nine indictments.

The petit jurors drawn to serve on the fourth Monday of this month are Walter L. GIBSON, William F. BYRD, James W. LESTER, Robert I. SALISBURY, Ray A. PARKS, Frank FITZGERALD, William C. STERLING of Noah, Thomas D. NICHOLAS, Samuel D. PARKS, Thomas T. TURPIN, John H. PARSONS, H. Frazier MOORE, David F. SNEADE, Hardie B. CULLEN, James H. STERLING, George W. MORRIS, Charles W. BLOODSWORTH, Hosea C. WEBSTER, William H. PARKS, Melvin L. COLLIER, Bernard C. DRYDEN, Lennie G. WEBSTER and John T. HANDY.


(Special Dispatch to The News)

Washington, Oct. 3—President WILSON sent to the Senate today the nomination of Thomas J. COOLNAN to be postmaster at Westminster, Maryland.


A PEACE-LOVING MAN, john De BALD, 1626 Chames street, never participated in a fight in his life until he heard Marizzo Van ESTEENBERGER, a Hollander, cursing the United States. Then De BALD showed what a peace-loving man can do when he starts fighting.

De BALD had Van ESTEENBERGER down and was administering a good thrashing when the Hollander drew a knife and De BALD jumped aside as Van ESTEENBERGER lunged. Then Patrolman WHITE and Command arrived and the "Big Dutchman" ran. The chase went almost all over the Eastern district waterfront. Van ESTEENBERGER finally was captured in the hold of a Belgian ship at Chase’s Wharf.

The fight happened Wednesday, but, the climax came yesterday when Justice GERSCHT fined Van ESTEENBERGER $101.45 for cursing the United States and $51.45 for carrying a knife.

Return to home