Miscellaneous articles, Washington Times, Aug. 31, 1918

These are miscellaneous excerpts from THE WASHINGTON TIMES, Saturday, August 31, 1918:



BERNE, Switzerland, Aug. 31—Lieut. "Tommy" HITCHCOCK, the American flyer, captured by the Germans while a member of the Lafayette Escadrille, has escaped from Germany. He leaped from a moving train near Ulm, and walked eighty miles to the Swiss border. He will return to the United States.

Lieutenant HITCHCOCK is a son of Major HITCHCOCK, commander of all the aviation fields on Long Island and was probably the youngest flyer in the French army. He fell behind the German lines after having been wounded in the side last March. He enlisted with the Lafayette Escadrille in June, 1917.


CHICAGO, Aug. 31—Judge Kenesaw Mountain LANDIS has sentenced "Big Bill" HAYWOOD, leader of the I. W. W. to twenty years’ imprisonment in Fort Leavenworth. Ten-year sentences were imposed upon thirty-three of the organization’s leaders, five-year sentences on the same number, one-year and one-day sentences on twelve defendants, and ten-day sentences on two others.

Cases against Benjamin SCHRAEGER, Chicago writer, and Pietro NIGRA, of Spring Valley, Ill., were continued. All the sentences on the four counts of the indictment will run concurrently. Fines ranging from $20,000on HAYWOOD and his chief aids, down to $5,000 were imposed.

Those sentenced were allowed ninety days in which to file a bill of exception, and a stay of seven days in which to petition for bail.

Salient points in the Government’s case were reviewed by Judge LANDIS, especial stress being put on the I. W. W. preamble declaring eternal war on the employing class and denouncing war with other nations. He declared that in times of peace they had a legal right to oppose, by free speech, preparations for war, but when war was declared, the right ceased.

As "Big Bill" arose from his seat, a group of women, who had been weeping, started an ovation, which was quickly silenced by the court. George ANDREYTCHINE, the young Russian poet, was next called by the court, and as he stepped forward, he smiled and threw a kiss to his pretty bride, who waved her handkerchief.


Congressman Simon D. FESS of Ohio will probably be elected chairman of the Republican Congressional campaign committee at the meeting Monday night. He was offered the chairmanship last night.

Formal election of the successor to Congressman Frank P. WOODS, who resigned Tuesday, was deferred until the meeting Monday. The nomination of Congressman FESS was made by Congressman DYER of Missouri, and was the only one presented. The vote for his election was unanimous, but he requested postponement of the formal vote.

These are excerpts from the "Heard and Seen" column:

Why Go to Baltimore?

Raymond A. PUMPHREY reports that on a recent automobile trip to South Washington, a colored boy jumped on his running board and offered him a pint of whiskey in broad daylight. This happened at Four-and-a-half and G street southwest.


Joe C. BROWN, of the Columbian Building, tells a good story with a real punch in it—also a good suggestion. Listen:

"One evening last week I took my family to Glen Echo and while there strolled over to the dancing pavilion to watch the young people enjoy themselves.

"Due to the war the young men were noticeably absent and seemed to be at a premium by the girls.

"I noticed one girl, evidently a war worker, who was dancing with a soldier and after they had finished their dance ‘she’ bought a ticket for the next dance with him. A short time after that I saw her buy a ticket for a ride on the dip. I wonder how many other girls in Washington are as thoughtful as she was, and as considerate of his salary, as she is undoubtedly getting at least $100 per month and he not over $30.

"Possibly a few months ago she was working for about $6 per week and he was getting twice her present salary and spending a greater part of it on her.

"How many more girls like that in Washington?"

(There is a hole in the middle of this article, but enough remains to get the drift of this story.)


Claiming that he is an alien enemy and demanding his (paper torn) the army, Oliver C. FOLEY (paper torn) in the engineers, has (paper torn) a writ of habeus corpus (paper torn).

FOLEY, according (paper torn) attorney, David E. ANTHONY, (paper torn) Hungary in 1891 and (paper torn) became a resident of (paper torn). He took out his first papers (paper torn) Indiana in 1910, but neglected to take out his second papers. FOLEY claims to be a citizen of Hungary, though not antagonistic to the United States.

He alleges that when war was declared by the United States against Germany, FOLEY called upon his local draft board and requested to be placed in class five on the grounds of being an enemy alien. The board refused to grant his request.

Captain DRURY, commander of FOLEY’s command has been served with a notice to answer FOLEY’s complaint September 10.


ROME, Aug. 31—Monsignor DOLCE, apostolic delegate to Constantinople, has notified the Pope of Turkey’s refusal to liberate Monsignor CAMASSES, patriarch of Jerusalem, whom the Turks took prisoner. The latter’s health is said to be critical, and the Vatican requested Germany to intervene.


CLEARSPRING, Md., Aug. 31—State’s Attorney KAYLOR is investigating the affair at Clearspring, when Roy McDONALD, a draftee, led men in an attack on Dr. Charles T. MASON, chased him from his home, and stoned the office of Justice Leonard P. SNYDER, while they shot revolvers, terrorizing the town.

It is now told that McDONALD, who left for Camp Meade on the morning following the trouble, had threatened Dr. MASON, a member of the exemption board, with personal violence, just previous to the wild night, because he had not had his claim of exemption justified.

Justice SNYDER had previously fined the men for speeding, and has not issued warrants for six men.


PARIS, Aug. 31—H. Herman HARJES, of the banking firm of Morgan, Harjes & Co., and formerly high commissioner of the American Red Cross Society for France and Belgium, was seriously injured today in an automobile accident near Versailles.


ANNAPOLIS, Md., Aug. 31—Governor HARRINGTON has refused to commute the death sentence passed upon John Henry EVANS, a Negro, convicted of an attack on a Negro girl, Mary HENSON, in the lower part of this county. EVANS will die October 4. If he pays the supreme penalty it will be the first time in the history of the State a Negro has been hanged for an assault on a person of his own race.


NEW YORK, Aug. 31—Dr. Arthur Franz Felix MOTHWURF, chief chemist and assistant factory manager of the Rensselaer plant of the Bayer company, makers of aspirin, other drugs, chemicals and dyes, was brought to the New York Port Enemy Alien Bureau yesterday. He was arrested at Albany on a Presidential warrant as a suspected dangerous enemy alien. He is the sixth officer or employe [sic] of the Bayer company, which is in the hands of the Alien Property Custodian, to be arrested as the result of an investigation into an alleged conspiracy to withhold a substantial part of the Bayer company property from the Alien Property Custodian.

Dr. MOTHWURF came to the United States to live permanently in 1914. He was born in Bavaria. His wife and child are in Germany. He was committed by Rufus W. SPRAGUE, jr., chief of the Enemy Alien Bureau, to the Mercer county jail, Trenton, to await examination.

MOTHWURF is alleged to have been a party to the transfer of $16,000 from the treasury of the Bayer Company to buy the Williams & Crowell Company of Providence, makers of Sulphuric colors. This was part of the purchase price of $100,000. MOTHWURF is alleged to have transferred $16,000 in cash to a naturalized American of German birth. The American bought the Williams & Crowell Company stock. It is alleged that to protect MOTHWURF he gave notes for $16,000, payable "six months after the end of the war."

The Williams & Crowell Company was reorganized after the purchase, according to Government officials, and its stock was apportioned among the dummies with American citizenship. The object of the conspiracy, it is alleged, was to build up a strong and ostensibly an American chemical, drug and dye company which would profit during the war by means of a highly advantageous contract with the Bayer Company and be in a position at the close of the war to begin active competition with the American trade.


Ben BOYNTON, crack quarterback of the Williams College eleven last year, has enlisted in the marine corps in Boston.


William BETTS and James Y. HUGHES, well-known umpires here, have been selected to handle the Police-Home Defense game Saturday.


Eddie FOSTER went on another batting spree, his second prolific batting streak of the present season. Eddie went along his batting ways for thirteen straight games until Frank SHELLENBACK foiled him during his stretch of hitting. FOSTER smashed out 21 hits in 51 tries, for an average of .412 and scored 9 runs.


Derrill PRATT hit safe for 7 games straight, getting 9 hits in 27 tries for a mark of .333 and scoring 7 runs in as many straight games when George DAUSS applied the brakes.


Larry GARDNER had hit safe in six games in a row for an average of .458 when Jack QUINN halted him.


Frank BAKER quit to Dave DAVENPORT, after hitting safely for six straight games during which he got 9 hits for 16 trials for an average of .563.


Leslie NUNNAMAKER took kindly to his former mate’s pitching, getting five hits in as many tries off Yankee pitching in a game.


Joe JUDGE, Frank BAKER, Jack LAVAN, and Nemo LEIBOLD each punched out for hits in a game.


Joe BUSH set a season’s strikeout record by fanning thirteen Tigers, though BUSH had to take the loser’s end of the score.


George SISTER had hit for an even half thousand, getting 17 safe ones in 34 attempts during 9 consecutive games when Babe RUTH applied the brakes.


NEW YORK, Aug. 31—Walter A. GUIDEN, the alleged deserter from Camp Upton, whose ride in the automobile of Mrs. Rebecca CARLETON led to her arrest was not produced by the Government when the woman appeared for a hearing before Samuel M. HITCHCOCK, United States Commissioner. Ralph W. HORNE, Assistant United States attorney, told the commissioner Guiden had escaped for a second time. The hearing was postponed.

GUIDEN has a way with him that tends to lead those who befriend him into trouble. Mrs. CARLETON, willing to do a kindly turn for a man in uniform, picked him up at Amsterdam avenue and 145th street and made a wide detour to take him to his home in 789 Dawson street, near Longwood avenue, The Bronx.

On the way he leaped from the automobile after a policeman had boarded it. The policeman arrested Mrs. CARLETON. He asserted she threw her arms around him and held him while GUIDEN got away.

This happened early on the morning of August 16. GUIDEN is said to have called Mrs. CARLETON’s apartment on the telephone soon after he escaped. Mrs. ALLISON told him her sister had been arrested. He said he did not want to get anybody into trouble and made an appointment to call at Mrs. CARLETON’s apartment, 124 West Seventy-second street, that night. He did so and was arrested.

Wednesday he was brought from the Governor’s Island prison to be a grand jury witness against Mrs. CARLETON. A corporal was his escort. After GUIDEN testified Mr. HORNE sent him back to the island in care of the corporal. The corporal returned alone, according to Mr. HORNE and promptly was put in GUIDEN’s cell.

Mr. HORNE said that after the grand jury session, GUIDEN invited the corporal to his home to have dinner. The invitation was accepted. Either before or after dinner, Mr. HORNE was not sure which, GUIDEN made a second escape.

Mr. HORNE said the information he has makes him certain that GUIDEN and Mrs. CARLETON never met before the ride in her automobile. She lives with her married sister, Mrs. L. Muriel ALLISON, in the Seventy-second street apartment. She has a car she drives herself.

Mr. HORNE said that Mrs. CARLETON and GUIDEN on their way to the soldier’s home stopped at a restaurant at Dawson street and Longwood avenue. There GUIDEN was seen by a member of the draft board which had called him into service. The draft board member hunted up Patrolman Samuel ROSENFELD and told him GUIDEN was a deserter.

Return to home