I.O.O.F. Orphans' Home, Santa Clara County, California, 1900
I.O.O.F. Orphans' Home
2nd Ward, Gilroy City, Gilroy Township
Santa Clara County, California, A.D. 1900*
1. Reader* Lizzie Matron W F Aug 1852 47 M 27 1 1 NewY NewY NewY Matron* 0 YYY O F H
2. Reader* Geo. Husband W M Oct 1844 55 M 27 Germ Germ Germ 1833 47 Laborer 0 YYY
3. Browning Lydia A. 1st Asst. W F Oct 1858 41 M 24 2 1 Iowa Ohio Ohio 1st Asst 0 YYY
4. Benedict Mar?* M Director W F Jan 1877 23 S Cal Virg NewY KTeacher 0 YYY
5. Ferris Esther Servant W F Oct 1854 45 M 0 0 Ire Scot Scot 1887 13 Cook 0 YYY
6. Joy Louise F. Servant W F July 1853 46 M 30 5 5 Cal Swed Cal HKeeper 0 YYY
7. Cruwell Nellie Inmate W F Aug 1881 18 S Cal Unk Unk YYY
8. Murphy Ida Inmate W F Apr 1884 16 S Cal Ire Cal at school 9 YYY
9. Bane Mamie Inmate W F Oct 1884 15 S Cal Unk Unk at school 9 YYY
10. Murphy Pearl Inmate W F Jan 1886 14 S Cal Ire Cal at school 9 YYY
11. Carraro Willie Inmate W M Feb 1885 15 S Cal Ita Penn at school 9 YYY
12. Wilson Robert* Inmate W F* Nov 1884 15 S Cal Cal Unk at school 9 YYY
13. Cruwell Alvin Inmate W M Mar 1886 14 S Cal Unk Cal at school 9 YYY
14. Cararro James Inmate W M July 1886 13 S Cal Ita Penn at school 9 YYY
15. Cararro Georgie Inmate W M July 1889 10 S Cal Ita Penn at school 9 YYY
16. Cruwell Josie Inmate W F Apr 1891 9 S Cal Unk Cal at school YYY
17. Habishno* Walter S. Inmate W M Feb 1887 13 S Cal Unk Unk at school 9 YYY
18. Habishno* Charlotte E Inmate W F May 1890 10 S Cal Unk Unk at school 9 YYY
19. Habishno* Catherine I Inmate W F Feb 1894 6 S Cal Unk Unk at school 9 YYY
20. ???phy* John Inmate W M Nov 1888 11 S Cal Unk Cal at school 9 YYY
21. ??????? ??yotta* Inmate W F Nov 18?? 1? S Cal* ? Cal at school 9 YYY
22. ??????? ???? Inmate W F June 18?? ? S * Cal* ? Cal at school 9 YYY
23. ????? ???? Inmate W ? ??? 18?? ?? S Cal* ? Cal at school ? ???
24. Draper Henry Inmate W M June 1887 12 S Cal Unk Cal at school 9 YYY
25. Draper Lester Inmate W M Sept 1890 9 S Cal Unk Cal at school 9 YYY
26. Ralph Harry Inmate W M Oct 1888 11 S Cal Unk Unk at school 9 YYY
27. Kraup* Willie Inmate W M Dec 1893 6 S Cal Eng Eng at school 6 YYY
28. Kraup* Mildred Inmate W F Feb 1888 11 S Cal Eng Eng at school 9 YYY
29. Richardson Russ Inmate W M June 1890 9 S Cal Unk Unk at school 9 YYY
30. Richardson Don Inmate W M Jan 1892 8 S Cal Unk Unk at school 9 YYY
31. Newport Willo* M Inmate W F June 1886 13 S Cal Virg Ire at school 9 YYY
32. Newport Birtie* Inmate W F Oct 1888 11 S Cal Virg Ire at school 9 YYY
33. Newport Adam H. Inmate W M Feb 1890 10 S Cal Virg Ire at school 9 YYY
34. Newport Rachel L. Inmate W F July 1890 9 S Cal Virg Ire at school 9 YYY
35. Newport Franlin* B Inmate W M Oct 1895 6 S Cal Virg Ire at school 6 YYY
36. Newport Lenard W. Inmate W M May 1895 5 S Cal Virg Ire at school 6 YYY
37. Newport Isabella Inmate W F Oct 1895 4 S Cal Virg Ire at school 6 YYY
38. Newport Thomas L. Inmate W M Mar 1897 2 S Cal Virg Ire at school NNY
39. Dott* Fritz R. Inmate W M July 1887 12 S Cal Germ Cal at school 9 YYY
40. Costes* John E. Inmate W M May 1888 12 S Cal Germ Kan at school 9 YYY
41. Costes* Sadie E. Inmate W F May 1890 10 S Cal Germ Kan at school 9 YYY
42. Costes* Maryetta Inmate W F May 1892 8 S Cal Germ Kan at school 9 YYY
43. Costes* Anna L. Inmate W F Dec 1893 6 S Cal Germ Kan at school 9 YYY
44. Costes* Frank E. Inmate W M June 1896 4 S Cal Germ Kan at school 6 YYY
45. Vintuleth* Frank Inmate W M June 1892 7 S Cal Germ Unk at school 9 YYY
46. Vintuleth* Jacob Inmate W M July 1893 6 S Cal Germ Unk at school 9 YYY
** Transcribers Remarks **
Columns above represent name, relation of this person to head of household,
color, gender, month of birth year of birth, age, marital status, years
married, mother of how many children, number of children living, place of
birth, birth place of father, birth place of mother, year of immigration to
the U.S., years living in the U.S., occupation, number of months attended
school, can read, can write, can speak English, own or rent, owned free or
mortgaged, farm or house.
Columns omitted for this transcription include: naturalization, months not
employed, number of farm schedule. All blank spaces were left blank in
Transcriber abbreviated California as Cal, Virginia as Virg, Ireland as Ire,
England as Eng, Unknown as Unk, Italy as Ita, Pennsylvania as Penn, Sweden
as Swed, New York as NewY, Germany as Germ, Kansas as Kan, Scotland as Scot,
Kindergarten Teacher as KTeacher, 1st Assistant as 1st Asst., House Keeper
as HKeeper, Yes as Y, and No as N.
Address of Institute: Mortine Lane (might be Mortini/Martine; no street no.
This census was taken on the 19th day of June, 1900, by H.H. Farnham,
1 Surname might be Reader, Raader. In column for occupation in original
document it reads Matron of Orphan Home
2 Surname might be Reader, Raader.
4 Could be Marl, Mary, possibly Maud; looks like "Marcl" or "Mard", as
12 Female was given as gender for male name
17-19 Might be Harishno, Hasishno, or something similar.
20 First letter(s) of surname are unreadable due to quality of original
document; what is visible looks like "..phy", "..urphy". Might be Murphy.
21 Surname, year of birth, and father's birth place are unreadable due to
quality of original document. Given name could end with "..yetta",
"..yolta", or something similar. Age sort of looks like 12 but can't say
for certain; might be 10 or something similarly written. Birth place for
this person is also unreadable but might be California.
22 Surname, given name, year of birth, age and father's birth place are
unreadable due to quality of original document. Given name appears to
have no tall letters (other than first letter) and no letters with
tailing loops (e.g., y, f, etc.). Might be something like Susan, but
can't say for certain. Age appears to be overwritten; a large circle, or
loop, is visible; might be 9, possibly 8, but can't say for certain -
could be part of the "overwriting"/crossing out of initial entry. In the
"years married" column is something that looks like "11" written slightly
rotated to the left. Whether this refers to age or anything at all is
unclear; marital status for this person is "S". Birth place might be
23 Surname, given name, gender, month and year of birth, age and father's
birth place, months in school, as well as can read, write and speak
English - are all unreadable for this person due to quality of original
document. Birthplace might be California.
27-28 Surname might be Kraup, Kemp, possibly Kimp, or something similar.
31 Given name looks like "Willo"; might be Willa, possibly Willow.
32 Given name might be Birdie, Bertie. The crossing for the "t" (if it is a
"t"), is misplaced and might be a stray mark.
35 Given name looks like Franlin, as written; might be Franklin
39 Surname might be Dow, Dott
40-45 Surname might be Coster, Costen
46-47 Surname is somewhat hard to read; might be Verstuleth, Viestuleth, or
Ancestry.com, On-line Census Images.
1900 U.S. Federal Census, California
Santa Clara County, 2nd Ward, Gilroy City
SD 2, ED 52, Sheets 18A-18B; Images 37-38 of 40
Img Ref#: 557-558/Roll: T623 110.
This list was Transcribed by
13 April 2002
for The Orphans' Home Website