Mansion on a Hill: Mamie Smith

The Warners
Excerpts from "One Hundred and Sixty Acres of Paradise"
Mamie Stanley Smith

Richard Warner's wife was Elizabeth Gamble.  She was an Irish girl too.  They had a nice home near Holmesville with a huge japonica tree in the front yard.   It stood so big out and glossy green tall with beautiful red flowers when I saw it in 1926 when I went down to visit one of Uncle Richard's daughters, Rosa, that married Monroe Reeves.  That tree was planted back in 1856 or 1857.  Great grandfather Peter Warner was supposed to have brought the japonicas over from  Ireland.  Uncle Richard was a carpenter and farmer.  He had six children, Tomi Mary, Sarah, Jane, Rosa and Anna known as Nan.

Uncle John D. Warner was a schoolteacher and a carpenter.  His wife was named Elizabeth that we called Aunt Lizzie.  She was a daughter of Quinea Lewis.  Her mother was Martha Speir. Aunt Lizzie was born in 1838 and first married Henry Ware. She had a daughter, Mattie Ware, and two sons, William and John Ware.  Aunt Lizzie and Uncle John Daunt Warner had three daughters, Henrietta "Ettie", Alice that married a Marsalis and Sallie that married W. L. Caston.  Ettie married Jim Alford from McComb.  Warner Alford, Athletic Director-at Old Miss,  is her grandson.  Uncle John and Aunt Lizzie lived near McComb and had a beautiful homeplace.

Aunt Jane Warner never married.  She died a few years after the family came to America.  Molly married a Vight.  In 1867 Grandmother Anna Delilah's sister, Sally Strickland that lived in Australia, came to America to be with her family too.  Her husband, Joe Strickland, died in Australia and Sally came home to her father and family. She was a music teacher in Australia for many years. She did not have any children.  She is buried in McComb's Hollywood Cemetery beside her brother John D. Warner.  Her tombstone says that she was born in Cork,  Ireland on March 10, 1826 and died in 1901.

Anna Delilah Warner Stanley

As the years rolled on in 1876, Anna Delilah's oldest son, Henry Frederick came to America with his new bride. Uncle Henry had stayed in Ireland to finish school when his mother and two brothers had left for America in 1866.  Afterwards he became a member of the Dublin police force.  It was while serving as a policeman that he met the beautiful Isabella Haines, the daughter of a millionaire according to family lore.  They soon were married and eloped to America.  Her family disowned her for marrying a lowly policeman.  There is a record of their having arrived in New Orleans on the S.S. TEXAS on November 8, 1876.  They lived for awhile near the Warners in Pike county,  but soon returned to New Orleans where Uncle Henry got  a job on the police force as he had in Dublin.  We have a good picture of Uncle Henry in his New Orleans' policeman uniform.  After working only a few years as a policeman in New Orleans, Uncle Henry obtained a very good position with the Southern Pacific Railroad in New Orleans and worked for them until he retired.  Four children were born to him and Aunt Issie; Nell, Charlie, Harry and Frank.

About 1868, my sweet little grandmother, Anna Delilah, married again to an Austrian named Sebastian Lasswitz.  They moved to New Orleans soon afterwards where two sons and a daughter were born to them.  The sons were Charlie and Anton. Rosa Mabel (her photo appears to the left) was the daughter's name.  Rosa had a twin named Floranteen who died as a baby.  After grandmother married Sebastian Lasswitz, my father Frank Stanley went to live with his Uncle John Warner and family.  At that time Uncle John and Aunt Lizzie had three daughters, Henrietta (Ettie), Alice, and Sallie.  All those girls were just like sisters to my father as he was growing up.  In the year of 1870 he decided to get out on his own and with the help of Uncle John Warner, he bought an ox wagon and a yoke of oxen and traveled out alone to make a life for himself.  He even changed his name from Francis Fredrick to Francis Edward, but was always known as Frank or F. E. Stanley.  All three of grandmother's sons had "Fredrick" as part of their names - Henry Fredrick, Francis Fredrick and Fredrick William!  I don't ever remember grandmother giving an explanation for this strange naming of her sons.  Maybe Grandfather George Stanley's father was named Fredrick.  We do not know his name.  After Papa Stanley left Uncle John Warner's, he cane to Brookhaven, some twenty-five or thirty miles north of McComb and began logging in the Red Star community northwest of Brookhaven. For several years he worked very hard logging and in a few years had bought 300 acres of land out on the road that goes out to where the Mormon Church is now, out near New Hope Methodist Church.

    Return to Selection Page