- 2 F i. stillborn daughter CASWELL was born on 15 Sep 1753.
- + 3 M ii. Gen. (Rev. War) William CASWELL was born on 24 Sep
- 1754 and died on 6 Jan 1785.
- + 4 M iii. Richard CASWELL Jr. was born on 15 Sep 1759 and
- died in 1784.
- + 5 F iv. Sarah CASWELL was born on 26 Feb 1762 and died in
- + 12 M i. Richard William CASWELL was born on 17 May 1784
- and died on 5 May 1810.
- 13 F i. Sarah Richard CASWELL was born in 1783 in Kinston, NC.
- Sarah Richard 's father, Richard Caswell, jr,. died in 1784. She and her mother
- lived with Gov. Richard until Sarah's mother married again.. Her mother Mary
- remarried Benejah White, brother of William White. When her mother died
- Sarah Richard went to live with her aunt, Anna Caswell White, in Raleigh. Sec.
- of State William White was Anna's husband.Sarah Richard was mentioned in
- Gov. Caswell's will.
- 14 F i. Sarah MCILWEAN was born in 1780.
- Sarah married Ridgen WHITE in 1798.
- Ridgen White was the brother of Sec. of State William White who had married
- Gov. Caswell's daughter Anna. he is also the brother of Benejah White, who
- married the widow of Gov. Caswell's son Richard,jr. He was a wealthy man
- 17 F i. Elizabeth Green CASWELL was born on 9 Jul 1791.
- Elizabeth married Mr. Fonville.
- 18 F i. Ann WHITE.
- Ann married Gen. Daniel L. BARRINGER.
- 19 F ii. Elizabeth WHITE.
- Elizabeth married Gen. & Senator Boone FELTON.
- 20 F iii. Eleanor Hope WHITE.
- Eleanor married Governor David Lowry SWAIN.
- 21 F iv. daughter WHITE.
- + 22 F i. Elizabeth CASWELL.
- 23 F ii. Holland CASWELL.
- Hollon had her grandfather's (Gov. Caswell's) papers and turned them over to
- scholar Hardy Bryan Croom, who was to write a biography of Gov. Caswell. All
- the papers were lost in the summer of 1737 when the ship THE HOME sank off
- the North Carolina coast.The Croom family was among the 70 passengers and
- 25 crew members lost and the Governor's papers were never found.
- 33 M i. Benjamin John CASWELL was born 1793 ca.
- 34 M i. Brig. Gen. Richard Caswell GATLIN was born on 18 Jan
- 1809 in Lenoir Co NC. He died on 8 Sep 1896 in Mt. Nebo, Ar..
- BRIGADIER GENERAL RICHARD CASWELL GATLIN
- The only Confederate General from Lenoir County was Brig. Gen. Richard
- Caswell Gatlin. He was born 18
- Jan 1809 inLenoir County, NC to John S. Gatlin and Susannah Caswell,
- daughter of governor Richard Caswell. He graduated from West Point in1832;
- served as acareer military officer in Florida, Mexico, and theAmerican West;
- and resigned his commission in Arkansas in 1861 to jointhe Cofederate Army in
- NC. After the War, he returned to Arkansas where he farmed. He died at
- Mount Nebo, AR on 8 Sep 1896 and is buried at the National Cemetery in Fort
- Smith, AR. His wife was Mary AGibson and they had a daughter, Mary Knox
- Gatlin, who married U of NC
- geologist Collier Cobb.
- 35 F ii. Sarah LOVICK.
- 36 F i. Jane Eliza CASWELL was born on 16 Mar 1808 in Spring
- Hill Tenn. She died on 17 Jun 1887 in McMinnville TN..
- Jane married John Rogers GRUNDY on 12 May 1825. John was
- born on 7 Dec 1803 in Bardstown, Ky. He died on 5 Jun 1836 in Columbus Miss.
- 37 M ii. Major General William Richard CASWELL was born on
- 22 Oct 1809 in Tennessee. He died in Aug 1862.
- William Richard Caswell, was a Major General for the
- Confederacy in Tennessee. He was the great grandson of Gov. Richard
- William Richard Caswell ( born 22 Oct. 1809 d. Aug. 1862) was the son of
- Richard William Caswell and Sarah Lytle. Richard William was the only son of
- General William Caswell and Gathra McIlwean. General William Caswell (b.24
- Sept. 1754,d.Jan, 1785) was the only surviving child of Gov. Richard Caswell
- 's first marriage to Mary McIlwean.
- William Richard Caswell attended Nashville University. He held the rank of
- Captain in the Mexican War. A lawyer by profession, he was appointed
- attorney general for the 12th Judicial Court of Tennessee in 1843, and
- attorney general for the 12th Solicitorial Court in 1849. Each appointment
- was for six years.
- He was one of the early advocates of the Confederacy in Tennessee and was
- appointed a Brigadier General by Gov. Isham G. Harris, commanding
- troops until they were turned over to the Confederate government. On 17 Nov.
- 1847 he was commissioned as Major General of the 1st Division of the
- Tennessee Militia. Major General William Richard Caswell was murdered in
- August 1862, being found about a half mile from his home with his throat
- cut. Newspaper clippings indicate that the murderer was not known at the
- time and that blame was placed on a runaway slave and a group of
- unidentified men who supposedly ambushed him. He was 52 years old when
- was killed.
- At the time of his death, The Knoxville Register contained comments about
- General Caswell:
- "One of the most universally esteemed and respected of our citizens. Perhaps
- no man who occupied as prominent a position as a public man ever enjoyed
- more personal popularity. Affable in his demeanor to everyone, kind and
- generous and upright, and just in all his transactions, it is remarkable
- that he should have an enemy so desperate a character as his slayer must
- have been".
- This information was kindly sent me by Mae Hooten.
- 38 M i. Lewis S MCILWEAN was born in Aug 1807.
- It has not been proved that Lewis and Sarah were children of Richard and Mary.
- SOURCE: Pitt Deed book DD (1825-30) p. 34; date: 10-12-1824 Grantor:
- Matthew Manning Grantee: Lennington manning 25A +3A; $50. Formern
- Owners: Charles Jinkins, dec. Joseph Jackson. Wit: Edward Sturdivant, Lewis
- SOURCE:Pitt Co. Deed book EE (1826-1832), p. 463 date: 5-6-1829 grantor;
- Lewis S. McIlwean Grantee: William Gardner negro: $180.oo Wit; I. B.
- 40 M i. William DESMOND was born on 28 Sep 1826.
- 41 F ii. Elizabeth DESMOND was born in 1832.
- 42 M iii. Sarah Catherine DESMOND..
- 43 M i. George CASWELL was born in 1859.
- 44 F i. Nancy E. CASWELL was born on 11 Nov 1856.
- 45 F ii. Mary Catherine CASWELL was born on 3 Sep 1858.
- 46 F iii. Catherine Anne CASWELL was born on 15 Oct 1859 in
- Bull Head Greene Co Nc.
- Catherine married Isaac Newton CARR.
- 47 F i. Susan JERKINS. She was related to her parents by adoption.
- Susan was adopted.
Please Credit Clair Hadley when using this material.
Back to Caswell Family Pages
Back toFamily Histories
LINKING TO "OLD DOBBERS"
We appreciate your desire to link to the Old Dobbers
site. Linking to Old Dobbers is welcome, but
of this Website is prohibited
permission. Permission to link to Old Dobbers is granted
if you use a direct link to the Old Dobbers index page
rather than links to individual pages, using the