THE PUGH LINE
The following Pugh connection to royalty was mailed to me several years ago, and have never checked the validity of it yet. I will add it here, but am in no way claiming this for fact. Simply a direction to investigate.
ELLIS PUGH, our ancestor, is supposedly connected to Royalty as follows:
1. John, King of England b. Oxford 24 Dec 1167 d. Oct 18/19, 1216, wed 2nd Queen Isabella, parents of:
2. Lady Eleanor Plantagenet who m. 2nd Simon De Montfort, Earl of Leicester, parents of:
3. Lady Eleanor De Montefort m. Llewellyn Gryffyth, last sovereign Prince of Wales 1232, parents of:
4. Lady Catherine m. Philip Ivor, Lord of Iscoed, parents of:
5. Lady Eleanor m. Thomas Llewellyn of Trefgarned, parents of:
6. Lady Eleanor m. Gryffyth Vychan, Lord of Glyndyfrdwy, parents of:
7. Lowry Vaughn m. Robert Pyllesdon, or Puleston, Lord of Emral Manor, Caernarvonshire, parents of:
8. John Puleston, of Emral, heir m. Angharad, dau of Griffith de Hanmer, parents of:
9. Margaret Puleston m. David Ievan ap Einion of Cryniarth, constable of Harlech Castle in 1468, parents of:
10. Angharad David m. Gwilym ap Gruffydd Robert, high sheriff of Caernarvonshire, parents of:
11. Gwenllian William m. David ap Meredydd (Meredith) ap Howell, parents of:
12. Howell Lloyd David m. Mallt vch. Howell Tychan, parents of:
13. Thomas Gethin Hoewl m. Catherine v. David ap Ievan, parents of:
14. Margaret Thomas m. Hugh Thomas ap David, parents of:
15. William Hugh of Cae Fadog d. before 1627, parent of:
16. Ellis ap William or Ellis Williams d 26 Feb 1645 m. Margaret John. They were parents of:
a. Jane Hughs m. William John
b. JOHN AP HUGH or JOHN PUGH , father of:
1. ELLIS PUGH of Gwynedd, Pennsylvania
c. Ellin Hughs d. 1733 m. Edward Ffoulke
Note: King John's line goes back to many lines of Royalty, and he is also descended from William to Conqueror who was b. 1027 add. 7 Sep 1087, m. ca 1053 to Matilda of Flanders.
King John of England b. Oxrford 24 Dec 1167, youngest son of Henry II an Eleanor of Aquitane. He was King from 1199 to 1216. He was wed to 1) Isabella of Gloucester. She was never crowned and in 1199 the marriage was dissolved on grounds of consanguinity, both parties being great-grand children of Henry I. King John wed 2) to Isabella the heiress to Angouleme in Aug 1200. King John d. Oct 18/19 1216. John's reputation, bad at his death, was further depressed by writers of the next generaton. Of all centuries, only the 16th, recognized some of his quality. He was suspicious, vengeful, and treacherous. He had Arthur I of Brittany murdered in captivity, and Matilda de Braose, wife of a Marcher baron starved to death with her son in a royal prison. Joh was cultured and literate. He was extraordinarily active, with a great love of hunting and travel. If his character was unreliable, his political judgment was acute. In 1215, many barons including some of the most distinguished, fought by his side.
PUGH LINE - FIRST GENERATION
JOHN PUGH (JOHN AP HUGH)
Parents: Ellis ap William or Ellis Williams - Margaret John
1. ELLIS PUGH b. June 1656 (see below)
PUGH LINE - SECOND GENERATION
Born: Jun 1656 in Parish of Dolgelley, Merionethshire, North Wales
Died: 3 Oct 1718 in Philadelphia Co PA
His father died before his birth and his mother a few days after it. Ellis and his wife came to Pennsylvania in 1687. He was a Quaker preacher and wirter. According to the testimony of those who knew him, Ellis Pugh was honest and careful in his calling, of a meek and quiet spirit, considerate and solid in his judgment, of few words, and his inclination was to support love and unity amongst all.
Parents: John ap Hugh (John Pugh)
Married: abt 1675 to Sinah _____. She b. in Dolgelley, and d. Phila. Co. PA after 1718.
1. Ellin Pugh bapt. 8-8-1676, m. Meredith David
2. Ellis Pugh bapt. ____, m. Mary Evans
3. THOMAS PUGH bapt. 1685, (see below)
4. John Pugh bapt. 12-16-1688, m. Jane Reese
5. Elizabeth Pugh bapt. 12-?-1690, m. Ellis Roberts
6. Job Pugh bapt. 7-14-1693, m. Phebe Miles Evans
7. Abraham Pugh bapt. 7-17-1695 m. ?
Note: Taken from Biographical Memoirs, 1700-1750, pg 259:
ELLIS PUGH....He was born at Dolgelly, in Merionethshire, in the year 1656. At the age of 18 he was convinced of the principles of Friends through the ministry of John ap John, and six years afterwards spoke as a minister of the gospel. He removed to Pennsylvania in 1687, and with several of his countrymen settled at Gwynned, where his gospel services appear to have been much blessed to his friends. "His pious labours," they remark, "have been profitable in directing and edifying us in the way of truth; for by the tenderness and influence which came as dew upon our souls, while we sat under his ministry, we believed his doctrine was of God. "He was", they added, "of a meek and quiet spirit, considerate and solid in his judgment, of few words, honest and careful in his calling, honourable among his friends, and of good report among people generally." In 1706 he went on a gospel visit to Great Britian, which occupied him about two years, and short time previous to his decease, he wrote his "Salutation to Britons", a piece which has been widely circulated, and shows him to have been largely experienced in divine things. He died in 1718 at the age of sixty-two.
Taken from "Quaker Bio. Sketches by Heiss, pg 71:
ELLIS PUGH...He was born sixth month, 1656. his parents were religious characters, but his father dying before his birth, and his mother a few days after, he was left to grow up without the guarding care and oversight which piously concerned parents can extend over their offspring.
PUGH LINE - THIRD GENERATION
Born: 1685 at Merionethshire, Wales
Died: 1723 Merion, Phila. Co. PA
Parents: Ellis Pugh - Sinah____
Married: 10-23-1709/10 at Haverhill Meeting, Welsh Tract, PA to Jane Roger. She was b. abt 1688 At Radnor, Delaware Co PA. Jane Ann Roger (possibly Roberts) was dau of Roger Roberts and Elizabeth. Jane went by surname of Roger.
1. Jesse Pugh b. 16 Sep 1711 (see below)
PUGH LINE - FOURTH GENERATION
Born: 16 Sep 1711 at Merion, PA
Died: after 1792 in Frederick Co VA
Parents: Thomas Pugh - Jane Roger
Married: 15 Feb 1731 to Alice Malin, dau of Isaac Malin and Elizabeth Jones. Alice was b. 29 Feb 1711 in Frederick Co VA and d. there after 1792.
1. THOMAS PUGH b. 1731/2 (see below)
2. Elizabeth Pugh b. 22d 3m 1735
3. Job Pugh b. 4d 7m 1737
4. Jane Pugh b. 21d 12m 1745 m. Edward Beeson 9m 24d 1767
5. Alice Pugh b. 10d 11m 1750
PUGH LINE - FIFTH GENERATION
Born: 16d 11m. 1731/32 in PA or Prince Geo. Co VA.
Died: Frederick Co VA, will dated 1789.
Parents: Jesse Pugh - Alice Malin
Married: Ann Wright McCoole in 1753 in Newberry Co SC. She was widow of James McCoole and dau of James Wright and Mary. Ann was b. 1725 in PA or VA, and d. Fred. Co VA her will dated 5-4-1803.
Note: Ann Wright McCoole Pugh had a son by her first husband per Bush River MM, Newberry SC: 1798-6-30: abriel McCoole req. minute to travel in VA with his mother, Ann Pugh.
1. ELIZABETH (BETTY) PUGH b. 1755 (see below)
2. Alice Pugh b. 10 Jul 1754 Fred. Co VA
3. Sarah Pugh b. 8 Apr 1758 Fred. Co VA
4. Jane Pugh b. 21 Mar 1761 Fred Co VA
5. Ann Pugh b. 26 Jul 1764 Fred Co VA, m. Daniel Dillon
6. Lydia Pugh b. 16y Mar 1767 Fred Co VA
7. Rachel Pugh b. 16 Feb 1770 Fred Co VA m. Michael Jenkins 4 Nov 1787
PUGH LINE - SIXTH GENERATION
ELIZABETH (BETTY) PUGH
Born: 6 Sep 1755 Hopewell, Frederick Co VA
Died: 23 Apr 1823 Miami Co OH
Parents: Thomas Pugh - Ann Wright
Married: 4 Mar 1773 Bush River MM, SC to John Jay Sr. He b. 23 Oct 1752 d. 23 Apr 1829 Miami Co OH. He was son on William Jay and Mary Vestal. Elizabeth and John Jay had 11 children. We descend through their daughter, Ann. See the Jay Line for their children ad descendants.
Line of Descent:
JOHN PUGH, ELLIS PUGH, THOMAS PUGH, JESSE PUGH, THOMAS PUGH, ELIZABETH PUGH, ANN JAY, MARY PEARSON, JOHN MACY, LORETTA MACY, JAMES PARISHO, WAYNE PARISHO, SUSANNE PARISHO
BG's/Images by "Daze of Our Lives"