genealogy of Patty Rose

 

 


Genealogy of Patty Rose


Name John* LIBBY
Birth abt 1602, St Andrews, Plymouth, Devon, England
Death bef 5 May 1683, Scarborough, Cumberland, Maine25
Other Spouses Mary, 2nd wife of John Libby
Marriage 27 Apr 1635
Spouse 1st wife of John Libby*
Birth abt 1615
Children:
1 M Capt. John* LIBBY
Birth 163625
Death aft 24 Mar 1719/20, Portsmouth, Rockingham, New Hampshire25
Spouse Agnes* HANSON
Marriage bef 1669, Scarborough, Cumberland, Maine25
2 M James LIBBY
Birth 1638, Scarborough, Cumberland, Maine
Death bef 10 Jul 1677, Scarborough, Cumberland, Maine46
3 F Joanna LIBBY
Birth 1640, Scarborough, Cumberland, Maine
Spouse Thomas BICKFORD
Marriage abt 1658, Scarborough, Cumberland, Maine
4 M Samuel LIBBY
Birth 1641, Scarborough, Cumberland, Maine
Death 9 Jul 1677, Boston, Suffolk, Massachusetts25,46
5 M Henry LIBBY
Birth 1648, Scarborough, Cumberland, Maine22
Death 21 Oct 1732, Scarborough, Cumberland, Maine22,46
Spouse Honor HINKSON
Marriage abt 1685, Scarborough, Cumberland, Maine
6 M Anthony LIBBY
Birth 1649, Scarborough, Cumberland, Maine
Death 28 Feb 1717/18, Hampton, Rockingham, New Hampshire
Spouse Sarah DRAKE
Marriage 20 Aug 1675, Falmouth, Cumberland, Maine
Spouse Mrs. Jane RACKLIFF
Marriage 6 Jan 1717/18, Portsmouth, Rockingham, New Hampshire22
7 F Rebecca LIBBY
Birth 1651, Scarborough, Cumberland, Maine
Death aft 1732, Portsmouth, Rockingham, New Hampshire
Spouse Joshua BROWN
Marriage abt 1671, Scarborough, Cumberland, Maine
8 F Sarah* LIBBY
Birth 1653, Scarborough, Cumberland, Maine25
Death aft Jan 172925
Spouse Robert* TIDY
Marriage abt 1673, Scarborough, Cumberland, Maine
Spouse Richard ROGERS
Spouse Sgt. Christopher BANFIELD
Marriage aft 28 Jan 1701/02
9 M David LIBBY
Birth 1658, Scarborough, Cumberland, Maine22
Death bef 24 Dec 1736, Kittery, York, Maine22,46
Spouse Eleanor TRICKEY
Marriage 11 Feb 1681, Scarborough, Cumberland, Maine
10 F Abigail LIBBY
Birth 1659, Scarborough, Cumberland, Maine
Death bef 1736, Scarborough, Cumberland, Maine
Spouse John FICKETT
Marriage abt 1674, Scarborough, Cumberland, Maine
11 F Mary LIBBY
Birth 1661, Scarborough, Cumberland, Maine
Death aft 1714, Willington, Tolland, Connecticut
Spouse John SLAUGHTER
Marriage abt 1682, Lynn, Essex, Massachusetts
12 F Hannah LIBBY
Birth 1663, Scarborough, Cumberland, Maine
Death 1733, Kittery, York, Maine
Spouse Daniel FOGG
Marriage 1684, Scarborough, Cumberland, Maine15
Notes for John* LIBBY
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
son of John LYBBYE
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
John, and his first wife ___ Libby of Scarboro, he b. 1602, d. 1682; he first Libby in America, and settled as Trelawney's agent on Richmonds Island, Scarboro, in 1630. [ref 18:5-235]
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
LIBBY, John, the only early emigr. of this name was by early trad. (transmitted by Dr. Benj. Libby, b. 1777, written down ab. 1855) 'Welsh,' that is native British, not Anglo-Saxon. By this trad. he came over with 'the Plymouth company,' meaning the plantation at Richmond Isl. estab. by Trelawny. This trad. is borne out by the plantation accounts. He came on 'The Hercules,' bringing ship's letters dated 30 Nov. 1636, arr. at Rich. Isl. 13 Feb. He had been in the service of Mr. John Sparke, merchant and Mayor of Plymouth, whose wife was from Fowey, co. Cornwall, the seaport of the Fowey river valley, where Col. Banks found several John Libbys who might have been the emigrant, presum. b. as early as 1615. The petition to the Boston authorities to release his sons from the Scarb. garrison was the work of a professional, worded regardless of truth to accomplish its object, and unnec. even to be read to the petitioner. He came under contract for three yrs. serv. Lee, which expired 13 Feb. 1639-40, aft. which he settled near 'Libby's common landing place' at Anthony's hole near the eastern point of 'the Old Neck,' a spot shut out from view of the Prout's Neck summer settlement, by Black Rock. Sometime bef. 1 Jan. 1663-4 he rem. inland and built on the bank of Libby's River, on the spot now marked as his homestead. In Philip's War 'Libby's buildings gs' were burnt. In 1661 J.L. and Wm. Sheldon were appraisers of Andrew Heffer's est. In 1664 he was constable and in 1669 J.L. sr. is named first of the selectmen in a town gr,; selectman 1676. His will 9 Feb. - 5 May 1682-3 provides for 'my wife' and esp. for his 'two younger sonns' Matthew and Daniel. His sons David and Matthew were half-bros., acc. to early trad. in the fam. of their sister Hannah Fogg, all three liv. side by side in Eliot. Only once is either w. named in the records. 'Mary Libby's marshes.' Poss. she m. 2d Wm. Green. Heirship deeds and the div. of his est. in 1736 show that 12 of his ch. left ch., besides the two who lost their lives in Philip's War. Ch: John, Anthony. Samuel, Joanna, Henry, Abigail, Anthony, Sarah, Mary, David, Rebecca, Matthew, Daniel. [ref 22]
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
John Libby was born in England about the year 1602. In July, 1677, he stated that, "the good and pieous report that was spread abroad, into our Native Land of this country, caused your Petitioner to come for this Land 47 yeares agoe, where he hath ever since Continued." According to this, the year of his immigration was 1630; but "47 yeares" was probably a slight exaggeration. The "good and pieous report" was doubtless set afloat by Trelawny in his efforts to obtain men to carry on his fisheries, and there can be little doubt that John Libby was sent over by him. John Libby was in the employ of Trelawny four years,--from the summer of 1635 until the summer of 1639,--and that during that time a large part of his earnings was paid for him in England. This was doubtless for the support of the wife whom he had left behind him; and probably in 1640 he sent for her, and took up his permanent abode on the neighboring main land, on the possessions of Thomas Cammock, the patentee of Black Point. A few miles west of Richmond's Island, formed by the little river now called Nonesuch, on the west, and a still smaller stream, since dignified by the name Libby River, on the southeast, was a low neck of land. Broad acres of salt marsh--ready hay-fields--reached away to the southwest, to where the two streams united with each other and with a third, forming a sheltered bay, and then flowing out over a sand-bar into the ocean. On that neck, close to the marsh of the stream that bears his name, in what is now the town of Scarborough, John Libby built his house. The land which he selected was afterward laid out to him by Henry Jocelyn, (who had come into possession of the Cammock patent), and for many years he doubtless occupied it as his tenant. During those years much of his time was probably devoted to fishing, but as his land gradually became more productive, he doubtless depended less upon the sea, and applied himself exclusively to the tilling of the soil. 1 Jan 1663, by a document in which he was described as a "planter," he received from Jocelyn, "a certain tract of land bounded as followeth, vise. the Marsh to begine at the next cricke to ye Eastward of the sayd Libby's coman landing place, and from thenes to his dwelling house, according as his fence goeth, & was formerly bounded by mee, [Jocelyn], from thence Westward & North Westward to a tree marked by me formerly & from thence to goe over upon a viswall lyne upon the dwelling house of Mr. Hene: Watts at Bleu poynt, [across the mouth of Nonesuch River,] So far as the flatts Also the Marsh halfe of that Necke his dwelling house stands upon, according to the bounds formerly be mee layd out & further all the Marsh to ye Eastward of the Bridg [over Libby River] on that side the cricke to the Upland so far as the Mayn Cricke called the pine Cricke & over against Godfrey Shelldens house & soe far up the sayd Cricke until it comes close up unto the upland & also fivety acres of upland adjoining to the sayd Marsh & and to go into the land according to the marked trees formerly laid out unto him, one hundred and sixty pooles to every acer Sixteen foote & an a halfe to every poole, also to have free comage, with lyberty of fishing & fowling & cutting for ordinary uses in any Swamp or Elsewhere, unbounded forth to others, in such lands as is or shall be unfenced"; in consideration of him his heirs, administrators, and assigns, "Yielding & paying unto the sayd Henery Jocelyn his heyres & Assignes for every fivety acers of Upland & Meddow annually three days worke forever, that is to say two days worke in harvest, or foode tyme, & one day in cutting of wood, against the feast of Christ tyde, if it bee lawfully demanded." From the time of his six weeks work for Winter, between June 1642 and June 1643, until the above transfer, his name occurs only once in existing records. 14 April 1661, he was one of the appraisers of the estate of Andrew Heffers. John Libby was (to use the words of the History of Scarborough) "for many years one of the town's principal planters"; but he took no part in the affairs of the province, and little, so far as is known, in the management of the town. It incidentally appears, however, that he was constable in 1664, and his name stands first of the four selectmen in a town grant bearing date 1669. His name, except as constable, does not appear at all in the provincial court records, and that at a period when quarrels and litigations were the order of the day, and indictments were issued for the most trivial offences, and on most questionable testimony. That in point of morality he took a stand far above his class, is very evident from a comparison between his accounts while on Richmond's Island and those of his fellow fishermen. Whereas most of them spent their entire wages for spirits and tobacco, he used no tobacco and very little intoxicating drink of any sort; while nearly all of what he did use was wine. He seems to have practiced that quiet, correct, peaceful mode of life which has always characterized his descendants. In Philip's war, in which were devastated all the more exposed settlements of Maine, John Libby suffered in common with the other inhabitants. He lost everything he had except his plantation. In the late summer of 1675, hostile Indians began to appear at Black Point, shooting cattle, etc. Those of the inhabitants who lived at any distance from the garrison (and among them John Libby) were compelled to leave their habitations for the safer abode. Their crops had to be gathered under the protection of soldiers who went from Boston. The burning of John Libby's house was recorded in the diary of Capt. Joshua Scottow, who had charge of the Boston soldiers, as follows: "Sept. 7th, 1675. Being Lord's day ...... the enemy ..... before of their designs early in the morning burnt those houses and barnes our Capne saved the day before--they burnt also 8 or 9 deserted houses belonging to Libby and children." In October, 1676, Black Point garrison was deserted, and most of the inhabitants fled to Boston. The able-bodied men returned soon after and again took possession of the garrison, which the Indians, contrary to their custom, had left unburnt. Probably the women and children did not return until the close of the war; at any rate, John Libby with his wife and younger children were in Boston 10 July 1677, and on that date petitioned the Governor and Council there assembled, that his sons Henry and Anthony, on whom he stated he was dependent for support, might be discharged from the Black Point garrison. The petition was granted the same day. He returned to Black Point probably very soon after. There was no serious trouble there subsequent to June 1677, and 12 Apr. 1678 terms of peace were finally ratified. In a short time Black Point had regained something of its former prosperity and in the few remaining years of his life, John Libby acquired a comfortable property. He died at about eighty years of age. In his will, dated 9 Feb. 1682, he gave "unto my [his] Children five Shillings. That John Libby had two wives is certain. Of the first, nothing is known but that she was the mother of all his sons except Matthew and Daniel, and probably all his daughters. Of the second there is nothing known but her christian name, which appears from the mention in bounding a town grant, 1 May 1686, of "Mary Libby's marshes." How long Mary Libby outlived her husband is uncertain; but she probably lived to be again driven from her home by the Indians, as no attempt was made to settle her estate. 6 Apr. 1720, a warrant was issued to Captain John Libby, 1-1, to administer upon his grandfather's estate; the will being either forgotten or set aside. The inventory mentioned only the real estate at Black Point--100 acres of upland, 9 acres of fresh meadow, and 100 acres of salt marsh. The children of John Libby, probably all born in this country except the eldest, were: John, James, Samuel, Joanna, Henry, Anthony, Rebecca, Sarah, Hannah, David, Matthew, Daniel. From the fact that a number of his children, or their heirs, quitclaimed to other parties one-thirteenth part of his property each, it seems that he left twelve children -- probably two more daughters whose names do not appear. [ref 25:21]
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
JOHN LIBBY came to Maine as a fisherman in the employ of Robert Trelawny, a Plymouth merchant who held a large grant of coast land at Cape Elizabeth, where, on Richmond Island, he had established an active fishing industry. Libby came over on the Hercules which brought the family of John Winter, Trelawny's Maine manager, and many other fishermen and servants, arriving in port at Richmond Island on February 13, 1636/7. In 1677, in his old age, John Libby signed a petition to the governor and council of Massachusetts Bay in which it was stated that he was then seventy-five years of age. This would place his birth in or about the year 1602, but there is every probability that his age was greatly exaggerated in the petition which was an appeal for sympathy and assistance. It is much more likely that he was a young married man in his early twenties in 1636 and therefore born about 1614. His parentage and the place of his birth are both unknown, but there is a slight chain of evidence which leads to the Fowey River valley in Cornwall. In the business accounts of the Trelawny colony it appears, under the date May 27, 1639, that Mr. Trelawny had paid for John Libby and Nicholas White, another Richmond Island fishreman, sums due from the two men to Mr. John Sparke, a Plymouth merchant, and in the case of White the record specifically calls Mr. Sparke his master. That Libby as well as White was a servant or apprentice of Mr. Sparke and that both of them owed him money or time when they joined the Trelawny enterprise is a reasonable conjecture. In St. Andrew's church, Plymouth, there is, or was before the church was destroyed in the German blitzkrieg, a monument to the memory of Mr. Sparke and his wife Deborah which states that she was "daughter to John Rashleigh of Fowy, Esq." The valley of the Fowey River in Cornwall was one of the chief homes of the Libby name and several John Libbys have been found in the baptismal records of the valley parishes, one of whom may have been the servant of Mr. Sparke and the emigrant to Maine. John Libby who married his wife Judith, her surname not recorded, in the river parish of Lanlivery on April 27, 1635, seems particularly probable inasmuch as the Maine man's eldest son was, it would seem, born before his departure from England in 1636/7. Contemporary with this John Libby in Lanlivery were a James Libby and a Henry Libby, their given names corresponding to those given by our ancestor to two of his elder sons. This does not, of course, constitute proof of identity, but it is an interesting speculation. Libby came to Richmond Island under a three year contract which expired February 13, 1639/40, his compensation being at the rate of 5 a year. In Winter's account for the year ending July 15, 1639, it appears that Libby had spent 4s.6d. for aquavitae and 13s. for wine -- a much smaller outlay for those commodities than that made by most of the fishermen. The sum of 3 had been paid for him to Mr. Sharpe by Mr. Trelawny in Plymouth and the balance of 1:2:6 he had taken in beaver skins. This may have been a delayed report of Libby's second year of work, for in Winter's next report to his principal is the account of Libby's "third yeares service," dated February 18, 1639(40). This year he had spent 1:11:9 1/2 for "sundry Commodities in the house" and of his salary 3:8:2 1/2 was due him." Released from his contract he must have sent for his wife, and child to come to him from England, and with them he settled a few miles west of the Trelawny plantation as a tenant of Capt. Thomas Cammock who owned a patent in what was then known as Black Point. He did not sever his connection with Richmond Island entirely, as in Winter's account for the year between June, 1642, and June, 1643, is set down a payment of 1:16:0 to John Lebby for six weeks' work. Capt. Cammock, Libby's landlord, died by 1643 and his widow Margaret, married her late husband's friend and neighbor Henry Jocelyn, bringing to him the ownership of the Cammock patent. On January 1, 1663, Jocelyn deeded to Libby fifty acres of upland formerly laid out to him and an unestimated tract of marsh, the bounds being several creeks, marked trees, fences and even "a visuall Lyne, upon the dwelling house of Mr. Hene: Watts, at blew point." For every fifty acres Libby was bound to pay to Jocelyn, his heirs or assigns, if demanded, three days' work each year, forever, two days at harvest time and one day in cutting wood "against the feast of Chrish tyde" which is indicative that Massachusetts ideology had not then entirely prevailed in Maine. The site of John Libby's home, probably his second, on this land has been marked with a monument by his descendants. John Libby's name seldom appears in the public records. In 1661 He was one of the appraisers of the estate of Andrew Heffers of Scarborough. When Thomas Hammett was sued for committing a prespass in 1664, John Lyby and Christopher Elkin testified and in the body of the deposition John is called "Goodman: Lyby Constable." Also, in a Scarborough grant of 1669 his name stands first on the list of the town's selectmen. That John Libby was married twice seems certain. The mention in his will of his two younger sons seems to indicate that they were the children of his second wife, and there is a tradition in the family of John Libby's daughter, Hannah Fogg, that David and Mathew Libby, who were her next neighbors in Eliot, bore the relation of half-brother to each other. The name of the first wife does not appear in the Maine records. His second wife and widow, whom he must have married about 1662, was named Mary. In the summer of 1675 the terrors of Indian warfare descended upon the scattered farms of Scarborough and by September the settlers had floated their families and portable property down the tidal streams to the shelter of the garrison at Prout's Neck commanded by Capt. Scottow, the en going out daily under the protection of soldiers to gather the maturing crops. The Libbys with many other families were lodged "in the hutts without the Garrison buy joyning to it." By night the Indians emerged from the forest and burned the abandoned homes. Capt. Scottow's diary tells of the destruction of "8 or 0 desertee houses belonging to Libby and children" early in the morning of Sunday, September 7, and Capt. Peter Rodrigo, a young Dutch adventurer and pardoned pirate, later testified that on the day Libby's houses were burnt within two miles of Scottow's house he had begged Capt. Scottow to give him forty men to go and fight them off, but to no avail. In October the situation had become so menacing that the people fled from the garrison by sea while courageous Mr. Jocelyn negotiated with his erstwhile friends among the Indians, the small vessels landing their unhappy passengers in Boston. There the old men, women and children remained for two years, but the able young men, including four of John Libby's sons, soon returned to the garrison on the neck which the Indians had neglected to destroy. In this advanced outpost of King Philip's War young James Libby lost his life in anunrecorded skirmish, and from it his brother Samuel was carried to his parents in Boston to die. Henry and Anthony remained in the garrison. Their father, now an elderly man, was finding it difficult to support his family in the strange town without the help of his grown sons. Employing a Boston scrivener to write his petition, he begged the governor and council of Massachusetts Bay to release his two soldier sons from further military duty. The petition was dated July 10 1677, and was granted the same day. It contained several exaggersted statements -- that Libby was about seventy-five years old, that he had been in New England forty-seven years and that he had eight small children to maintain -- but on the whole it was a straightforward factual account. He relates that his houses had been burned, his cattle destroyed and that he was unable to procure a livelihood; one son had been killed at Black Point and one, sickening there, had been brought to Boston ten days ago and had died the day before the petition was presented; Henry and Anthony had been in garrison service nine months, a term which few or none had exceeded. Soon afterward the entire family must have returned to Scarborough to begin anew as the Indian threat subsided in the summer of 1677 although peace was not officially declared until April 12, 1678. John Libby made a short, undated and unsigned will, and the date of its probate is also unknown. Children: John, James, Samuel, Joanna, Henry, Abigail, Anthony, Sarah, Mary, David, Hannah, Rebecca, Matthew, Daniel. [ref 46:2-466]
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The petition, doubtless written by an attorney, was as follows:

To ye Honoured Governor and Counsell
Now, Assembled at Bostone

The Humble Petition of John Liby sinr Late of Scarbrow Humbly Sheweth That the good and pieous report that was spread abroad, into our Native Land of this Country) caused your Petitioner to come for this Land 47 yeares agoe, where he hath Ever since Continued (but now by the Incursion of ye Barbarious Enimys,) had his houses burned; and his Catle and Corne destroyed, Soe that yor poore Petitionr is in a very Low Condition, being about, ye age of 75 years Therefore not any way Capuble to procure A Livlihood neither hath he been noe ways Chargable to ye Country hitherto) but yor poore Petitionr and his wife with 8 Smale Children was mentained from perrishing; By 4 Sonns of yor Petitioner whereof one is Latly Kild at Black point and two were sickened at Black point of which two) one) was brought here to Boston about Tenn dayes agoe and died Last night And the other two Souns are at Black point, and hath been there this 9 months

Therefore yor poore Petitioner Intreats yor worships seriously to Consider of yor petitioner helplesse Condition by ordreing that his two Sonns be dischargd from ye Garrison at Black point) May it please yor Worships first to Consider of your petitionr age 2d That hee haueing 9 in family which hath there dependence vpon the Labours of yor petitionrs two Sonns, namly Henry Liby and Anthony Liby) 3d That yor petitionr Beseeches yor Worships to Consider that 9 months is a goe time to Continue in Garrison And that few or non ever Continued soe Long in Garrison

Soe yor petitionr hops that these Considerations beeing but Seriously Considered off; will move yor worships to Grant yor petitionr an order for ye Discharging of yor Petitionr two Sonns) which wilbe a meance to preserue yor petitionr & family from perishing) Soe yor Subplicant with his wife and Children shall haue great cause to pray for yor health and Happynese and Subscribe himselfe yor poore Distresed Subplicant
JOHN LIBY
July ye 10th 1677
This Request is
Granted 10 July 77
E. R. S.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
27 Nov 1611 baptism St. Andrews, Plymouth, Devon

1640 sent for wife [she had been left in England] and took up permanent residence as a tennent on Thomas Cammock's Black Point [now Scarborough]

1663 moved inland and built on the bank of Libby's River on the 283 acres bought from Henry Jocelyn
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
WILL OF JOHN LIBBY, - 9 Feb 1682: In the name of God Amen | Bee It known unto all, unto whom this shall Come, that I John Lybby Senjor, do giue unto my children fiue shillings a peece to euery one of them, & to my too younger sonns Namely, Mathew & Daniell shall haue fiuety shillings out of ye Estate when they Come to age & my wife shall haue It all to her disposeing to mantayn the Children |

Witnessses
John ___
Anthony Roe
the marke of
Leeft: Ingersall

Inventory returned at 118:06:0, by William Burrine and Andrew Brown, appraisers, 9 Feby 1682. The house and land were worth 70, his clothes and household goods 8. His livestock consisted of four cows, two heifers, four steers, five yearlings, one calf, two sheep, eleven swine and one horse.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Apeece, to every one of them, & to my [his] two younger sonns namely Mathew & Daniell, fivety Shillings out of ye Estate when they come [should come] to age"; and willed that "my [his] wife shall [should] have it all to her disposeing to Mantayn the children." 5 May 1683, William Burrine and Andrew Brown made oath before Capt. Scottow to the truth of the following inventory:

Imprs To 4 Cows at 12 00 00
Two Heffers at 04 00 00
to foure steares at 12 00 00
to five yearelings at 08 00 00
to one calfe at tenn shill00 10 00
Two sheeps at 00 16 00
eleven swine at 40 02 00 00
one horse at 20 shillings 01 00 00
to weareing apparell & to household Goods all at 8 00 00
house & Lands at 70 00 00
118 06 00
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Notes for 1st wife of John Libby*
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
poss Judith
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Last Modified 8 Jun 2004 Created 4 Jan 2005
 

CONTENTS  *  SURNAMES  *  PEDIGREE  *  SOURCES  *  EMAIL