genealogy of Patty Rose

 

 


Genealogy of Patty Rose


Name Anthony* EMERY
Birth bap 29 Aug 1601, Romsey, Hampshire, England46
Death aft 9 Mar 1680/01, Portsmouth, Newport, Rhode Island22,46
Marriage Romsey, Hampshire, England
Spouse Frances* PORTER
Birth 1608
Death aft Oct 1660
Children:
1 M James EMERY
Birth bap 8 Sep 1631, Romsey, Hampshire, England46
Death bef 15 Oct 1719, Berwick, York, Maine22
Spouse Elizabeth NOCK
Marriage 1655, Kittery, York, Maine
Spouse Elizabeth NEWCOMB
Marriage 28 Dec 1695, Braintree, Norfolk, Massachusetts18,33,46,48
2 M Anthony EMERY
Birth 1632, England10
Death aft 1643
3 F Rebecca* EMERY
Birth abt 1633, Romsey, Hampshire, England
Death 18 Jul 1719, Little Compton, Newport, Rhode Island22
Spouse Robert* WEYMOUTH
Marriage abt 1650
Spouse Thomas SADLER
Marriage 1661/63, Kittery, York, Maine
Spouse Daniel EATON
Marriage aft 9 Mar 1680, Little Compton, Newport, Rhode Island22
Notes for Anthony* EMERY
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
son of John EMERY and Agnes NORTHEND
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Anthony Emery, second son of John and Agnes Emery, b. in Romsey, Hants, England; d. after 30th March, 1680; came to America with his wife Frances in the ship "James," landing in Boston, 3d June, 1635; settled in Newbury, Massachusetts, where he lived until about 1640; removed to Dover, New Hampshire, in 1640, and 22d October, same year, signed the "Dover Combination"; in 1648 was selectman for the "prudentiall affaires" of Dover; in 1649 served as grandjuror; 1649 removed to Kittery, Maine, where he served as selectman, juror, and constable; fined, for entertaining Quakers, and disfranchised in 1660, when he was received as a free inhabitant in Portsmouth, Rhode Island, where he served as Juryman, constable, and deputy to General Court. Their children were: James, unknown son, Rebecca. [ref 18:1-152]
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
EMERY, Anthony, carpenter from Romsey, Hants, came in 'The James' from Southampton in Apr. 1635. First set. at Newb., he rem. by 1640 to Dover, where he had recd. 3 1/2 a. from Capt. Wiggin in 1637. Lic. to keep ordin. and sell beer and wine bef. 1634, selectm. 1648, gr.j. 1649. Resid. at Cold Harbor in Kittery by 1651, he was active there the next ten yrs., tav. and ferry keeper, jury 1650-1, 1655, selectm. 1652, 54; comr. to adj. differences about town grants 1654, comr. on York-Wells bounds 1658, and memb. of Godfrey's council dur. its last days; but in freq. trouble over Quakers, and fined and disfranch, 12 Nov. 1659 for telling a lie in the face of the court. Prep. to rem. to the more liberal R.I., he sold his prop. in Kit. to s. James 12 May 1660, his 2d wife sueing in Oct. for 1/3 of the purchase price. Recd. inhab. at Portsmouth, R.I., 29 Sep. 1660, he was prom. in town affairs and Deputy in 1672. Still of Portsmouth 9 Mar. 1680-1, he deeded his prop. after his own death to dau. Rebecca, then to her s. Anthony; was dec. in 1694. Three ch. ment. in petn. ab. 1643, but only two kn: James, b. ab. 1630. Rebecca, m. 1st Robert Weymouth, who d. bef. 24 Dec. 1661, 2d Thomas Sadler, 3d aft. 9 Mar. 1880-1 Daniel Eaton of Little Compton, his will 29 Apr. - 21 Aug. 1704. She d. at Little Comp. 18 July 1719. The petn. made in her name for her late husband's prop. on Staten Isl., N.Y., 22 May 1676, represents that he had yrs. bef. aband. her and their three samll children. Of her ch. we know only: William (Weymouth), called Weymouth alias Sadler in Maine rec. 1682. Joseph (Amory), presumably an anack. ch. Anthony (Sadler), made his grf. Emery's heir by deed 9 Mar. 1680-1. [ref 22]
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
ANTHONY, Newbury, a carpenter of Romsey in Hants, came in the James, June 1635, to Boston from Southampton, perhaps with w. and ch. rem. a. 1644 to Dover, thence after 1648 to Kittery; H was ferryman, and kept an inn 1650, freem. 1652, constable 1668, rep. 1680. [ref 20]
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Anthony Emery, second son of John and Agnes Emery, was born in Romsey, Hants, England., married Frances ___ and came to America in the ship "James," landing in Boston 3 June 1635. He lived in Newbury, Mass., till 1640, then in Dover, N. H., till 1649, when he settled in Kittery. He was often juryman and selectman. In 1660 he was fined for entertaining Quakers and disfranchised. This led him to remove to Portsmouth, R. I., where he was living in 1680. His children were James, another son whose name is unknown, and Rebecca. Emery had kept an ordinary at Dover Neck as early as 1643 and he was licensed to keep one here in Kittery in 1650. His farm passed to his son, James, who in 1673 sold it to Abraham Conley. The small inns of England, where shelter without fire could be found, were named "Cold Harbors." This name was, doubtless, applied to the ordinary which Anthony Emery was licensed to keep in 1650, in connection with his ferry. He may have hung out his sign with that name. Soon the name indicated a region and gradually it extended itself up as far as Sturgeon Creek. [ref 33:115,366]
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
EMERY, Anthony, carpenter, of Romsey, England. came in the James in April, 1635. Settled at Newbury, Mass. 1637. Rem. to Dover; proprietor. "Three acres and an halfe Given him by Capt. Wiggens in Ano: 37," and other lands, are specified in the town records. Signed the combination in 1640. Licensed to sell wine in 1643. Selectman in 1648. Rem. to "Cold Harbour in the province of Mayne," and sold houses in Dover, lately in his possession, 1 (1) 1651. Took oath of allegiance to Mass. govt. 16 Nov. 1652. Wife Frances joined him in a lawsuit in 1649. They made a deed of gift of land to son James 12 May, 1660; witnessed by John E. Sen. and John E. Jr. [ref 44:64]
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Anthony Emery was baptized at Romsey August 29, 1601. Probably accompanied by his wife and children, although no marriage record has been found for him in England, he came to America with his brother John in the "James" in 1635. After a few years in Newbury, where he was fined for a pound breach December 4, 1638, he moved to Dover in time to sign the combination for local government October 22, 1640. He had an earlier interest in Dover, for the town laid out to him three and a half acres of land "given him by Capt. Wiggins in 1637." In 1646 he was granted ten acres adjoining his land at Bellamy's Bank, and in 1648 he shared in the Cochecho marsh division. Like his brother John, he was both a carpenter and a tavern-keeper, and lost one Dover tavern by fire. Dover chose him a selectman in November, 1647, and again in November, 1648, when he was already planning to move to Kittery as in that month he bought from John White a house, field and marsh at Sturgeon Creek. Although still taxed in Dover in December, 1650, he was serving on a Maine jury in October 1649. He was licensed to keep a ferry and tavern in Kittery in 1650, and at least once partook too freely of his own stock of drinkables as he was fined in 1651 for being "so overtaken with drink" that he could not speak a true word. He had several town grants, including one of two hundred acres in paartnership with Nicholas Frost. He took the oath of allegiance to Massachusetts in 1652, served the town as constable, selectman, juror and commissioner to adjust town grants and the York-Wells bounds, and was a member of Mr. Edward Godfrey's council during its last day. His character seems to have been much like his brother's. In 1656 he was fined for "mutanous carage" in questioning the court's authority, in 1659 disenfranchised for telling a lie in the face of the court and in 1660 fined a second time for entertaining Quakers and deprived of the rights of a freeman of Kittery. Seeking a more liberal society, he sold part of his Kittery property to his son James in 1660, and on September 29, 1660, was received an inhabitant of Portsmouth, Rhode Island, where he was a member of a coroner's jury in 1661, constable in 1666, Deputy to the General Assembly in 1672 and attorney for the town in 1675. A month after the transfer to his son, his wife Frances, although she had signed the deed, sued for dower rights in the land in the Maine court. In a second deed to the son, dated October, 1663, Emery was still called "of Kittery." Anthony Emery is last noticed on March 9, 1680/1, when he deeded his Rhode Island property to his daughter Rebecca, with power to sell what might be necessary for her maintenance, and providing that, if she married again, no husband should have any right therein without her full and free consent, and that what remained after her death should go to her son Anthony Sadler. An undated petition, drawn up after his Dover tavern burned (1643/4?), mentions a wife and three children, but only two are known: James, Rebecca. [ref 46:1-525]
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
ANTHONY EMERY, second son of John and Agnes Emery, was born in Romsey, Hants, England; married Frances (___), and came to America in the ship "James," landing in Boston, June 3, 1635. He was probably in Ipswich, Mass., in the following August, and soon after settled in Newbury, where he lived until about 1640. A court record of Dec. 22, 1637, shows that he was a brother of John, and a similar record of June 10, 1638, that he was then residing in Newbury. He removed to Dover, New Hampshire, about 1640, and Oct. 22, of that year, signed the "Dover Combination." From that time until 1649, when he removed to Kittery, Maine, he was identified with the interests of that town. His house was at Dover Neck, about a mile from the present railroad station at Dover Point, and three or four miles from Major Richard Waldron's settlement on the Cocheco river. There he kept an ordinary, which was destroyed by fire, as appears from the following petition: "Right worp com of the Massachusetts The humble peticon of Anthony Emry of Dover Humbly showeth Unto your good worp that your poore peticonr was licenced b the towne abousd to keept an ordinary wh shd give Dyet & to sell beere & wine as was accustomed & sithence there was an order that non but one should sell wine upon which there hath beene complaint made to your worp as Mr. Smyths saith & hee hath in a manner discharged your petr wch wilbe to your petr great damage haueing a wife & 3 children to maintain & not a house fitted for present to liue in haueing had his house & goods lately burnt downe to the ground "Humbly beseeching yor worp to bee pleased to grant to your petr that he may sell wine & that Mr Smyth may be certified thereof hee keeping good order in his house & he shall as hee is in Duty bound pray for your worps health & happyness." This petition does not bear date, but it is known from other papers that Anthony Emery petitioned in 1643, for permission to keep an ordinary, and that March 7, 1643-4, he was "allowed whereby to draw out his wine." In that year and in 1648 also, he was one of the townsmen (selectmen) for the "prudentiall affaires" of Dover. On November 15, 1648, he bought of John White, a house, field, [ref 48:309] and great barren marsh on Sturgeon Creek in Pischataqua, afterward Kittery, now Eliot, and two other marshes. He seems not to have taken possession, however, until the next year, for he served as grand juror in Dover, in 1649. During his eleven years' (1649-1660) residence in Kittery, he was juryman several times, selectman in 1652 and 1659, and constable. He was one of the forty-one inbabitants of Kittery, who acknowledged themselves subject to the government of Massachusetts Bay, Nov. 16, 1652. At four different times he received grants of land from the town. He also bought of Joseph Austin of Pischataqua, July 15, 1650, "a little Marsh soe Commanly called aboue Sturgeon Cricke, with a little house & vpland yrunto belonging, as also one thousand fiue hundred foote of boards, for & in Consideration of Two stears Called by ye name of draggon and Benbow, with a weeks worke of him selfe & other two oxen wch is to be done at Cutchecha." In 1656, he was fined 5 for mutinous courage in questioning the authority of the court at Kittery, and in 1660, again fined, for entertaining Quakers, and disfranchised. May 12, 1660, he and Frances his wife, sold house and land at Cold Harbor to son James for 150 together with all other lands in Kittery, "with all & singular the houseing, barne Garden oarchards Commans profetts priviledges fences wood Tymber appurtenances & Haeredtaments belonging, or in any way apprtayning thereunto." Deprived of the rights and privileges of a freeman in Kittery, he turned his footsteps toward a colony in which greater liberty was allowed, and was received as a free inhabitant of Portsmouth, Rhode Island, Sept. 29, 1660. It has been conjectured that he, prior to settling in Newbury, or removing to Dover, bought land in Portsmouth, and dwelt there awhile. This conjecture has its origin in the fact, that one "Good-man Emeres" owned land in Portsmouth in 1643, as is known from the records of a general town meeting held in Portsmouth, March 1, 1643. Who "Goodman Emeres" was, or whence came the Little Compton, Rhode Island, family of Emerys, has been mere conjecture. We have been unable thus far to trace their genealogy, or to connect them with our ancestor, except in name and locality. We accept the Portsmouth records as evidence of Anthony Emery's first legal residence there until 1680, though he is designated "of Kittery," in a deed to his son James, Oct. 1, 1663. He served as juryman from Portsmouth on several occasions, was chosen constable, June 4, 1666, and deputy to the General Court, April 25, 1672. The last record that we find of him living is that of a deed of land in Portsmouth to Rebecca Sadler, his daughter, dated March 9, 1680. It is barely possible that he returned to Kittery, and that Anthony Emery who was representative from Kittery at York, March 30, 1680, was our ancestor, but it does not seem probable that he, an old man, disfranchised, would after twenty years' absence, be chosen to legislate for the "province of Mayne." From the petition quoted, we know that he had three children, and from another paper, that James was his surviving son. We are thus enabled to give this list of children: James, son, Rebecca. [ref 48:310] It is difficult to estimate the character of Anthony Emery. From what little we know of him, however, we infer that he was a capable business man, energetic, independent, resolute in purpose, bold in action, severe in speech, jealous of his own rights, and willing to suffer for conscience' sake. He did not hesitate to express his opinions, though on one occasion it may have savored of "mutinous courage." He recognized a higher law than statute-law, and with the courage of his convictions, preferred to suffer the penalty of the latter rather than disobey the former and violate his conscience. In entertaining Quakers he obeyed the divine commandment: "Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself." [ref 48:311]
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
1646 granted ten acres adjoining his land at Bellamy's Bank

1648 in Kittery; shared in the Cochecho marsh division, bought house, field and great barren marsh on Sturgeon Creek in Pischataqua [later Kittery, now Eliot]

1656 fined L5 for "mutinous courage in questioning the court" of Kittery

4 Jul 1659 York court, bondsman for Thomas Sadler, suspected of some misbehavior toward the Dover (NH) court

1659 disenfranchised for telling a lie in court

Jul 1663 requested relief from a forfeited bond of Thomas Sadler, who had left the country

1672 deputy of General Court; 1680 representative to General Assembly

Two EMERY families were aboard the James when it sailed 5 Apr 1635 from Southampton and arrived 3 June in Boston. One was John Emery, 34, of Romsey Hants with Mrs. Emery, Anne Emery, Elinor Emery and John Emery. The other was Anthony Emery of Romsey Hants with Mrs. Frances Emery, James Emery, Rebecca Emery and William Kemp, servant to Anthony Emery. [note: no mention of third child] John and Anthony are brothers.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Notes for Frances* PORTER
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
poss daughter of Nathaniel PORTER
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Frances, generally considered a second wife and not the mother of the children, first appears on the records in 1649, when Emery sued George Webb for calling her a witch. After 1660 there is no mention of her. [ref 46:1-526]
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Oct 1660 sued for "dower rights" in ME court on property husband deeded to son James
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Last Modified 26 Mar 2004 Created 4 Jan 2005
 

CONTENTS  *  SURNAMES  *  PEDIGREE  *  SOURCES  *  EMAIL