genealogy of Patty Rose



Genealogy of Patty Rose

Name Samuel PEASLEE
Birth 28 Jan 1704/05, Haverhill, Essex, Massachusetts51,91
Death bef 5 Sep 1757, Haverhill, Essex, Massachusetts91
Father Robert PEASLEE (1677-1742)
Mother Alice CURRIER (1678-<1725)
Marriage 17 Feb 1740, Salisbury, Essex, Massachusetts23,36
Spouse Hannah PURINGTON
Birth 14 Apr 1708, Salisbury, Essex, Massachusetts36
Death bef 28 Sep 1770, Haverhill, Essex, Massachusetts91
Notes for Samuel PEASLEE
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Samuell Peesly, s. Robert and Allice (Currier), Jan. 28, 1704-5. [ref 51]
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Samuel Peasley married Hannah Purenton Feb 17, 1740 in Salisbury, Essex Co., MA [ref 23:0845110]
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Samuel, born January 28, 1704-5. After the death of Robert Peaslee, Samuel and Amos desired Richard Hazzen to make a division and partition, of land and premises, willed to them by their father, which he did, setting off to Samuel Peaslee thirty-nine and a half acres of land lying on the "northern side of Jamaica path (and exclusive of One Acre of Land where the Brick House now stands, which is set off to Amos)." Job's Hill pasture was divided, giving forty-four acres to each brother, while Amos was to have the "whole of that land which the Proprietors of Haverhill gave to the Testator, adjoining land of Amos, a tract of twenty-three acres." A farm in Amesbury of one hundred acres, near Francis Chase's, was also divided between them. The brothers were satisfied with this division and quit claimed the several tracts of land to each other according to law. To Samuel twenty-five acres and one-fourth betwixt Jamaica path and Merrimac river, bounded twenty-eight poles on Jamaica path, south-east twenty poles, south-west nine poles and four feet, south-east ninety-five poles to bank of the Merrimac, thence twenty-four poles to Twelve-rod-way and by it to first bound. Samuel was to have fifty-seven and a half acres, "being one-half that Farme where the Grist Mill stands on a Small River commonly called the East Meadow river, a little below Clement's Bridge; bounded forty-six poles on Jamaica path" and by "Country Road north-east forty-six poles to the way that leads out of the Country Road to Robert Hasting's House," reserving one-half of the grist mill. Amos was to have the other half of the mill and the same number of acres, eighty-four poles on Jamaica path, and to land of Joseph Greely, Jun. Samuel and his wife Hannah lived in the two-story house now unoccupied, the property of Mr. R. A. Chase. His "Homestead Living" extended from Jamaica path north and north-west upon the Twelve-rod-way, one hundred and eight rods, and from the same path (now East Broadway) by the Twelve-rod-way to the river, one hundred and fourteen rods. Besides the land given him by his father, he had seven acres of fresh meadow near Country Bridge and about "two acres of fflats on Plumb Island in Newbury." The following receipt was dated March 22, 1757: "Then Received of Amos Davis one pound Lawful Money, Dews and Demands, or whatever shall appear from the beginning of the world to the date hereof. I say Received by me, Samuel Peaslee." Samuel died before September 5 of the same year. The committee appointed to set off the widow's thirds laid out to her "about twenty acres of the homestead, on the north-west side of Jamaca path, with the buildings thereon, except the westerly half of the Dwelling House to the middle of the chimney, the whole sheep house, and two-thirds of the Scyder House, with liberty of passing and repassing from the Scyder House to the Road," and from the road to the dwelling, with a privilege for laying of wood and "liberty of water at the well," which was reserved to the heirs. The widow was to have the "easterly end of the barn and third part of the length thereof, with one-third part of the barn-yard." She had nineteen acres of Eastman pasture, eleven of Job's hill pasture, and the seven acres of meadow at Country Bridge. The remainder of the real estate was divided, by another committee, into five parts, "equal for quantity and quality, 'butted, bounded and numbered from one to five." Lot No. 1, containing ten acres adjoining the Third, was settled to Amos Peaslee, brother of Samuel, and his heirs. No. 2, containing about eleven acres adjoining lot No. 1, was settled on Hopewell Stanton, of Cartwright County, in North Carolina, and on her heirs as the right of her mother, Ruth Borden, deceased, who was sister to Samuel. Lot No. 3, consisting of twenty-eight acres "south-east of Jamaca path, and the westerly half of the dwelling house, from the middle of the chimney," became the property of Alice, the wife of Thomas Blaney of Salem, in county of Essex. Lot No. 4--forty acres in Eastman pasture, seven in Job's hill pasture, and one-half the orchard in Newbury--went to Anne Bagnell, another sister of the deceased Samuel. Abigail, the wife of Eleazer Collins of Boston, received Lot No. 5, twenty-three acres in Job's hill pasture. The Inventory of the Estate is a lengthy document, but interesting, giving valuable hints of the fashions and customs of the times. The brothers, Samuel and Amos, owned together fourteen heifers, six cows and eighteen sheep. Samuel had one horse and two swine. In the list are 4,738 feet of lumber and boxes, 3,003 feet of matchable pine boards, 368 feet of pine plank, "500 hard white oke Barrel Staves and Headen," 600 of clapboards, 3 cords of wood, salt hay, and "about ten lodes of Eng. and Fresh hay," "16 bushels of oats not thrashed," seven of rye, eighty-five bushels of Indian corn in the field, flax from the swingle not dressed, about ten bushels of potatoes in the ground, and "apples in Orchard to make about 30 Barrells Cyder." There were sides of leather, tanned calfskin, remnants of deer skin, fetters, sheep shears, hand saws, stub scythes, saddles, bridles and stirrups, one iron tooth-harrow, "plows, hows," sleds, spurs, thirteen horn beam tubs, nine hogsheads, eleven half hogsheads, two meal barrels, seventeen dry barrels, and fifty-one cider barrels, among the many outside articles and implements. In the house there was one "time peace," and one "cheas pres;" there were six best black chairs, six next best, thirteen old black, four white chairs, two great chairs; oval, round and square tables; chests and cases of drawers; large and small looking-glasses; "punch bole and three glass Bekers;" warming-pan; "Delph" plates and pitchers; four large Delph platters; ten cups and saucers; "chaffing dish, pewter platters, twenty-two pewter plates;" basins, porringers and mugs of the same material, and seventeen pewter spoons. There was "Best Bead No. 1, with under Bead, one quilt, two Blankitts, two Tow and Lining (linen) sheets; two Pillows and Tow and Lining Cases, with green and cherry curtains and Coverlead, one Bolster, Bead Stead and Cord, with iron rod." "Best Bead No. 2" had about the same furnishings, with a silk quilt and "red cherry" curtains. There were three other beds, with all the bedding and curtains. The women, then, were not the only ones who decked themselves in gay apparel. Samuel was the owner of seventeen coats and jackets, four night jackets, nine pair of breeches, eleven pair of stockings, white linen shirts, new pumps, five canes, mittens, hats, caps and gloves. He had a "Blew Plush Jacket" and "Green Plush Breeches." Some of the garments were red and white twilled, some of grey cloth, others of "Blew," and some of white. Books were not so easy to be obtained as clothing. He owned one Bible and part of another, four bound and four paper covered books. The coffin and grave of Samuel Peaslee, whose estate was valued at one thousand two hundred and fifty-nine pounds and ten shillings, cost eighteen shillings, while the clothing for the widow cost eight pounds. [ref 91:22,37-40]
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Notes for Hannah PURINGTON
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
HANNAH,4, daughter of James Purington and Lydia; b. April 14, 1708[S]; "3d dau." in 1719; m. 17:2m:1740, Samuel Peasley (Robert and Alice), of Hv. [ref 36:294,1000]
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Widow Hannah (Purington) Peaslee, of Salisbury, made her will March 24, 1767, which was proved September 28, 1770. She bequeathed her household goods and some money to her relatives, and five hundred pounds to the Society of Friends. April 30, 1771, a committee was appointed to "apprize and divide all that part of the Real Estate of Samuel Peaslee, late of Haverhill, deceased, that was set out to his Widow as her Right of Dower in said Estate." Lot No. 1, set out by the committee, contained "two and one-fourth acres, bounded by Jamaca path; Twelve-rod-way; land to be No. 2, and Ephraim Elliott; also the easterly half of the dwelling house, and one-third of the barn standing on said land; and also one-third of a large barn standing on Ephraim Elliott's land, with the privileges thereto annexed, when the thirds were set off, all which were to share." This went to Alice Blaney. Lot No. 2 was twelve acres in Job's Hill pasture, and one acre of the homestead joining No. 1, and became the property of Elijah Collins. Anne Bagnell had Lot No. 3, twenty acres of Eastman pasture and two and a fourth acres of homestead next to No. 2. Amos, the brother, had the next parcel of homestead, and seven acres of meadow, while Hopewell Stanton had Lot No. 5, four and a half acres in the north-western part of the homestead. The land of his grandmother, Mary Peaslee, in Amesbury, which Robert had purchased of his brother, John Peaslee, he had given to Samuel. Gideon George had bought a piece of Samuel's homestead bordering the Merrimac, so the land divided among his heirs after his decease was not all that was originally in possession of Samuel Peaslee. [ref 91:40-41]
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Last Modified 1 Nov 2004 Created 4 Jan 2005