HMS Bellerophon

Naval Database

| Previous Page | Next Page | Index

Bellerophon, 1786
Type: 3rd rate ; Armament 74
Launched : 1786 ; Disposal date or year : 1836
BM: 1613 tons
Complement: 609

14 Jul 1793 departed with the Channel fleet from St. Helen's. On the 18th was in collision with the Majestic, causing some damage, resulting in the Ramillies, 74, having to tow the Bellerophon to Plymouth.

27 Oct 1793, re-joined the Channel Fleet and departed in search of the French fleet and squadrons. 18 Nov brief skirmish with a French squadron : by mid-December the fleet had returned to Spithead.

2 May - 1 Jun 1794 Departure of the Channel Fleet from St. Helen's, and the lead up to actions and manoeuvres with the French fleet. 28 May 1794, ordered to reconnoitre the strange fleet, reported by the frigates, to be approaching the British fleet. Engaged the Révolutionnaire. 29 May - 1 Jun., what was to be known as the Battle of the Glorious 1st June commences, resulting in the capture of six sail of the line and one sunk. Review of the part performed by each British ship engaged. 13 Jun, the fleet arrived back in home ports.

14 Feb 1795 the Channel fleet departed from Torbay for a brief cruise and to see various convoys safe out of the Channel.

30 May 1795 a squadron under Vice-adm. Hon. Wm. Cornwallis departed from Spithead on a cruise off Ushant. Brief meeting, on 8 Jun off Belle-Isle, of Vice-adm Cornwallis' squadron with French Squadron under Rear-admiral Vence, with a convoy, during which 8 merchant vessels were taken when the French squadron escaped into harbour.

16 Jun 1795 on returning off Belle-Isle Vice-adm. Cornwallis' squadron of 5 ships of the line, including the Bellerophon, Captain Lord Cranstoun, sighted a French Squadron of 12 ships of the line under the command of M. Villaret : on this occasion it was the turn of the British squadron to attempt to escape the advancing French fleet.

21 Dec 1796 chased a part of French squadron from Toulon.

24 May 1798 departed from off Cadiz with a squadron of 10 ships of the line to join Nelson's squadron in the Mediterranean, arriving 7 Jun.

7 Jun 1798 the search for the French fleet.

1 Aug 1798 the preparation for the Battle of the Nile.

1 Aug 1798 Battle of the Nile.

14 Aug 1798 the Orion, Bellerophon, Minotaur, Defence, Audacious, Theseus, and Majestic, accompanied by the prizes Franklin, Tonnant, Aquilon, Conquérant, Peuple-Souverain and Spartiate leave Aboukir Bay.

Mid Sep 1798 arrive Gibraltar with prizes and after making repairs sail for England leaving the Peuple-Souverain (re-named Guerrier) behind as a guard ship.

5 Dec 1798 refitting at Gibraltar.

30 May 1799 joined the fleet in the Mediterranean off the Spanish coast.

8 Jun 1799 detached to join Nelson off Palermo.

14 Jun 1799 joined Nelson's squadron off Palermo.

2 Apr 1800 Portsmouth, arrived from the Mediterranean : she remained under quarantine three days, when she was cleared.

5 Apr 1800 Portsmouth, Captain Granger, of the Navy, and Lieutenant Tudor Tucker, were taken out of the Regulus, of London, from the Cape of Good Hope, the 20th March, in lat. 40 N. long. 16 W. by the Bellerophon. The former had dispatches from Adm. Sir Roger Curtis ; the latter from Sir George Yonge, Governor of the Cape. He brings dispatches respecting peace being made with the Caffrees.

16 Apr 1800 Portsmouth, has come into the harbour to be paid off.

25 Jan 1801 at Portsmouth. Sir A. S. Hamond and Sir William Rule arrived here on the 19th, and went off for London on the 22d, after surveying, in company with Commissioner Sir Charles Saxton, the whole of the ships in ordinary ; and ordered the following to be repaired and ready for commission in six weeks at farthest the Brunswick, Bellerophon, Goliath, Vengeance, Vanguard, and Hannibal.

9 Aug 1801 went out of Portsmouth harbour to Spithead after a refit, Capt Lord Viscount Galies.

21 Aug 1801 departed Spithead for Plymouth.

24 Aug 1801 came into Cawsand Bay.

28 Aug 1801 departed Cawsand Bay to join the Channel Fleet.

19 Nov 1801 remained in Torbay the Ville de Paris, Royal Sovereign, Prince of Wales, Neptune, Prince, Royal George, San Joseph, London, Magnificent, Bellerophon, Hercule, Donegal, Robust, Edgar, Belleisle, Courageux, Fisgard, Amelia, Indefatigable, Childers, Atlanta, Nimrod. The Nile cutter departing for Plymouth to be paid off.

28 Dec 1801 remained with the Channel Fleet in Torbay with the Ville de Paris.

29 Dec 1801 newspapers of the day report that Earl Northesk has resumed command of the Prince, vice Loring, who is apptd to the Bellerophon ; and Capt S Osborne has taken command of the Ramilies, vice Nicholls.

24 Jan 1802 the Prince of Wales, previous to her leaving Torbay, discharged all her spare provisions into the Bellerophon, 74, and Irresistible, 74.

24 Jan 1802 the following ships, are to be victualled and stored for 5 months for Channel service, viz. Magnificent, 74, Capt Gifford ; Irresistible, 74, Capt Bligh ; Audacious, 74, Capt Peard ; Courageux, 74, Capt Southeby ; Robust, 74, Capt H Jervis ; Bellerophon, 74, Captain Loring, and lighters will arrive shortly at Torbay from Plymouth. The Excellent remains in Cawsand Bay and will be victualled and stored before she returns to Torbay.

2 Mar 1802 departed Torbay the Irresistible, Robust, Edgar, Audacious, Magnificent, Excellent, and Bellerophon, on a cruise, but there being little wind the exercise was performed by the various ships' boats towing them out.

3 Mar 1802 passed by Plymouth, to the westward, with sealed orders, the Edgar, 74, Excellent, 74, Bellerophon, 74, Robust, 74, Magnificent, 74, and Audacious, 74. They lay to becalmed with light winds off the Edystone, but the wind freshening at N.N.W. the squadron soon made sail, and were clear of land about sunset.

17 Jun 1802 letters received Plymouth from an Officer of the Audacious, 74, dated the 1st of May last, at Port Royal, Jamaica, mention, that the squadron which left Torbay last February, arrived the latter end of March at Martinique, being only 25 days on her passage ; and found there the Saturn, 74, Rear Admiral Totty, with the Excellent, 74, and Magnificent, 74. Sailed for Port Royal the 5th of April, with the Bellerophon, 74 ; arrived at Jamaica after a fine passage, and found there Vice Admiral Duckworth, with fifteen sail of the line, besides frigates and sloops of war. The remainder part of the fleet were cruising between Jamaica and St. Domingo.

12 Sep 1802 passed up for Torbay from Jamaica, after a passage of six weeks, the Goliath, 74, the Bellerophon, 74, and Majestic, 74, having overshot Plymouth in a gale. They are to be paid off at this port.

28 Dec 1802 when the Falmouth packet Princess Elizabeth arrived at Port Royal, Jamaica the Leviathan, Desiree, Trent, Racoon and Pelican were lying there, and the she departed in company with the Bellerophon and Elephant.

13 Jan 1803 when the Falmouth packet Leicester arrived at Port Royal, Jamaica, she found lying there the Leviathan, 74 ; Bellerophon, 74 ; Vanguard, 74 ; Elephant, 74 ; Desiree, 40 ; and sloops Shark, Pelican and Racoon ; the De Ruyter arriving on the 17 Jan, with the 87th Regt., from Curacoa, and on the 21st the Theseus, 74 ; Cumberland, 74 ; Goliath, 74 ; and Ganges, 74, from a cruise.

16 Mar 1803 a letter from Port Royal, Jamaica reports the recent arrival of the Bellerophon, and that she is due to sail in a few days, all well and healthy.

2 May 1803 the Goliath, Theseus, and Hercule were reported to be cruising off Cape Francois in early May, the Bellerophon having returned to Port Royal.

14 May 1803 letters are received at Plymouth, reporting the arrival of the Hercule, Capt Ferris, at Guadaloupe on 5 Apr, from Plymouth, and expects to depart shortly for Jamaica. The letters also advise that the Blenheim has recently been ashore and had to throw 18 guns overboard to get off, and has gone to Martinique. The Elephant, Vanguard, and Bellerophon, 74s, and the frigate Desiree, were reported to be at Jamaica. The Goliath, Cumberland and Theseus were on a cruise, as were the Tartar, Shark and Echo, off the North of Jamaica, and the Calypso off Cape Tiberon.

24 Jul - 2 Sep 1803 chase and capture of the French 74 Duquesne, and the escape of the Duguay-Trouin, 74 and the 40-gun frigate Guerrière.

30 Nov 1803 the capture of the French 40-gun frigates Surveillante and Clorinde as they departed Cape-François, St.-Domingo, and the rescue, by the ship's boats, of the latter and her 900 occupants, after she'd grounded on rocks whilst leaving.

Circa 30 Nov 1803 departed Cape-François, for Saint-Nicolas, St.-Domingo, arriving 2 Dec and departed for Jamaica with the squadron's prizes and prisoners from Cape-François.

24 Jan 1804 the Cumberland, Capt Sorrell, arrived at Spithead from Jamaica with dispatches and news regarding the surrender and evacuation of St Domingo. The frigates Cloriade, Servillante, and Jerneas, and 17 sail of merchantmen, laden with merchandise were captured in the harbour and taken to Jamaica ; along with Gen Rochambeau and 5-6,000 prisoners ; 100,000 gold dollars. The French officers were landed at Portchester, along with 250 Frenchmen from an accompanying transport. The Creole, French frigate accompanied the small squadron, but became so leaky she was emptied of anything of value and allowed to sink. The Cumberland lost most of her convoy in the recent gales, and some of them have been observed at Portsmouth passing up the Channel for the River. In addition to the Cumberland the French also surrendered to the Bellerophon, Capt Loring ; the Vanguard, Capt Walker ; Hercule ; Capt Dunn ; and the frigate Blanche, Capt Mudge.

11 Mar 1804 the Elephant, Theseus, Hercule, and Desiree, were at Port Royal Jamaica ; the Bellerophon and Vanguard, with the Tartar and Eolus, were off the West end of St Domingo ; the Port Mahon, and Papillon brigs, off Port Morant ; the Hunter and Mignonne, off Montego Bay ; and the Flying Fish, and Gipsey, were off the coast of Cuba ; the Fairy had sailed for Honduras, and the Camel for Halifax.

16 Jun 1804 the Duquesne, Capt Walker, and the Bellerophon, Capt Loring, with the homeward bound West India convoy departed Jamaica.

10 Aug 1804 sailed past Portsmouth for the Downs, the Bellerophon, Capt Loring, with the Abundance store ship, and their convoy of 100 sail from Jamaica, the remainder of the convoy having departed for Liverpool and Bristol under convoy of the Vertue, Capt Roberts.

22 Aug 1804 arrived Spithead from the Downs.

27 Aug 1804 departed Spithead for Portsmouth harbour.

27 Sep 1804 when in dock 4 shipwrights were working in the magazine on board the Bellerophon, W Ash (father), T Ash (son), W Arnold, and J Fowler, moved a candle they were using to light the space, and in the process it touched some loose [gun] powder, which exploded, badly injuring the men. An inquiry was opened on the Gunner of the ship, for his carelessness in leaving such a quantity of powder. It should perhaps be noted all the gunpowder on board any RN ship in dockyard hands should have been landed when entering the harbour, and that includes any powder that may have escaped from containers. Not many years previously a ship exploded when along side the harbour wall, killing and injuring those working on board, along with the many family members who were onboard at the time and along with the people in adjacent ships.

16 Oct 1804 Mr Fowler, one of the men injured in the recent explosion on board the Bellerophon, was reported to have died this evening. His wife is also reported to have died this morning, leaving 2 orphans.

Circa 3 Nov 1804 departed Portsmouth harbour for Spithead.

26 Nov 1804 departed Spithead, Capt Loring, to join the Channel Fleet.

May 1805 Channel Fleet

10 Oct 1805 off Cadiz - the tactical preparations etc. for the forthcoming battle. 20 Oct combined fleet departed Cadiz, fleet manoeuvres.

21 Oct 1805 England expects….. &c. signalled, the first shots of the Battle of Trafalgar are fired. Nelson shot. Resumé of what had taken place. Individual ship actions and losses : Bellerophon. The post-mortem commences ; Summary of British casualties ; Death of Nelson ;

22-30 Oct 1805 losses amongst the prizes due to bad weather etc: Redoutable, Rayo, Monarca (sank) ; Fougueux, Bucentaure, Indomptable, San-Francisco-de-Asis, Aigle, Berwick (wrecked) ; Algésiras (taken into Cadiz) ; Santa-Ana, Neptuno (recaptured) ; Santisima-Trinidad (scuttled) ; Achille, Intrépide, San-Augustin (burnt) ; the washup ; burial of Nelson ;

Torbay 29 Dec 1806 Remains

19 Jun 1809 cruising off the coast of Swedish Finland, off Hango, was detached by the Minotaur : ship's boats used to attack shore positions.

7 Jul 1809 ships' boats of the Implacable, Bellerophon, Melpomène, and Prometheus capture 6 Russian gun-boats, and sink another : take 12 merchant vessels laden with powder and provisions for the Russian army, and burn another.

16 Jan 1811 arrived Deal from Portsmouth

22 Apr 1811 remains in Hoseley Bay.

12 Sep 1811 arrived the Downs from off Flushing.

23 Sep 1811 departed the Downs to join the fleet off Flushing.

16 Oct 1811 is off the North Foreland, and expected to arrive in the Downs this evening.

5 Nov 1811 remains in the Downs due to adverse winds.

20 Nov 1811 departed Downs for the Nore.

12 Dec 1811 arrived and remains in Hoseley Bay from the Dutch coast.

25 Mar 1812 started for the Texel, but remained due to contrary winds.

6 Oct 1812 arrived in the Downs from off Flushing.

8 Dec 1812 arrived Spithead with a convoy from the Downs.

23 Apr 1813 departed Torbay with the Newfoundland convoy.

4 Jun 1813, the Jane, and Duck, from Liverpool, who formed a part of the Bellerophon's Newfoundland convoy, arrived Halifax.

Aug 1813 Bellerophon and Hyperion in the banks of Newfoundland.

20 Dec 1813 arrived Plymouth from Newfoundland, she left a convoy on the banks of Newfoundland, with a fair wind.

20 Dec 1813 arrived Spithead from Newfoundland, with the Genie French lugger privateer, which she captured last night at the back of the Isle of Wight.

20 Dec 1813 sent into Spithead the Mary from Liverpool for Limerick, captured by an American privateer and recaptured.

30 Mar 1814 departs Spithead shortly to Newfoundland.

4 Apr 1814 departs Spithead Saturday for the Newfoundland station.

13 Apr 1814 is appointed convoy for Quebec, &c.

26 Apr 1814 departs Spithead with a convoy for Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, Quebec, and New Brunswick.

31 Dec 1814 arrived departs Spithead from St. John's.

24 May 1815 departed Plymouth for the westward.

15 Jul 1815 Captain Frederick Lewis Maitland, of the Bellerophon, lying in Basque roads, accepted the surrender of Buonaparte.

24 Jul 1815 arrived Torbay with Napoleon Buonaparte, General Bertrand and others on board.

25 Jul 1815 has detained and sent into Plymouth the Clair French chasse maree from Bayonne, bound to Nantz.

26 Jul 1815 departed Torbay at about five o'clock this morning for Plymouth.

26 Jul 1815 anchored in Plymouth Sound about half past four o'clock this afternoon.

4 Aug 1815 Got under weigh from Plymouth Sound this morning and is now nearly out of sight.

6 Aug 1815 This afternoon anchored off Berry Head, and at 5 o'clock getting under way again.

7 Aug 1815 Napoleon removed from the Bellerophon to the Northumberland.

21 Aug 1815 departed Plymouth for Portsmouth,

27 Aug 1815 departed Spithead for the Eastward.

29 Aug 1815 arrived Deal from Plymouth and departed for the River to be paid off.

For convict inmates for Retribution, and Bellerophon, from 1821-1833 see National Archives volume references HO 9/7 and HO 9/8, available for free download.

Oct 1824 Renamed Captivity