HMS Boyne

Naval Database

| Previous Page | Next Page | Index

Boyne, 1790
Type: 2nd rate ; Armament 98
Completed : 1790
Disposal date or year : 1 May 1795
Disposal details : Accidentally burnt at Spithead: crew, except 11, saved ; Captain George Grey.

1 Jun 1793 captured the French privateer Guidelon in the Channel.

2 Feb 1794 Vice-admiral Sir John Jervis departed from Barbadoes with a fleet, including the Boyne, Sir J Jervis, Captain George Grey, for Martinique. Seamen from many of the ships played an important role in moving heavy guns over difficult terrain and in the various assaults required to subdue the Island. Elements from the fleet then went on to take Sainte-Lucie, Guadeloupe, and other islands, in subsequent months.

March and April 1794, operations at the Islands of Martinique, St. Lucia, and Guadaloupe.

5 Jun - 3 Jul 1794 the arrival of a French squadron in the resulted in a number of movements and operations by the ships Boyne, Veteran, Winchelsea, Nautilus, Vanguard, Vengeance, Solebay and Winchelsea.

1 May 1795 see also the book Shipwrecks of the Royal Navy, by W.S. Gilly, 1850, available in .pdf format via the Wayback Machine. She caught fire and having been carrying out gunnery exercises, eventually blew up and sank while at anchor in the Solent. The wreck was cleared over a number of years during the summers of 1834 through to the 1840s by a number of divers, see below, for a few scant details.....with quite a few interesting finds and discoveries etc., along with near accidents being reported in the Hampshire Telegraph, with other papers such as The Times borrowing info accordingly. 2 men on board the nearby Queen Charlotte, were killed, and another wounded by a cannon fired by the heat of the fire. It is understood that a number of other vessels in the vicinity were moved to prevent this sort of accident. Captain Grey was ashore attending a Court Martial.

1 - 2 May 1800 prize money resulting from the operations at the Islands of Martinique, St. Lucia, and Guadaloupe due for payment.

27 June 1840 Portsmouth Wreck of the Boyne. Mr. Abbinett, who obtained permission from the Lords of the Admiralty same years ago to remove the wreck of the Boyne, renewed his operations against it on Wednesday last, the 24th inst., by attempting to fire a charge of 300 lb. of powder under the larboard side, in a wrought-iron powder vessel, made for him by Mr. Stebbing, of the same construction ordered and approved by Colonel Pasley last year, and since extensively used by him at Spithead - namely, a compact cylinder with conical ends. This charge had been prepared and fitted with a voltaic conducting apparatus by Sergeant-Major Jones and Corporal Read, and a party of Royal Sappers and Miners, who came from Spithead, with one of the Government voltaic batteries to fire it for Mr. Abbinett, by permission of Colonel Pasley. On the failure of this charge, a second was sent for by the Colonel, who was unwilling to disappoint Mr. Abbinett, after having promised him his assistance; which also failing, to the great surprise of every one present, the operation was postponed till next day, when the same party of Royal Sappers and Miners came from Spithead, bringing with them a couple of the same sort of wrought-iron cylinders, with another voltaic conducting apparatus. On this occasion Colonel Pasley, who came to meet them on board Mr. Abbinett's vessel, declared that he had never had any failures in the course of the season before, and that he could only account far them by awkwardness or mismanagement on the part of the diver employed by Mr. Abbinett to place them, and therefore he declined permitting them to be fired, unless some other diver was sent down with them. Mr. J. Deane, one of the two celebrated brothers who first brought this important art to perfection, having also come out as a spectator, then volunteered his services, which being approved by Colonel Pasley, he placed the two charges in succession, one under the larboard and the other under the a starboard side of the wreck, with great skill and precision ; and as soon as he came up they were fired by Sergeant-Major Jones, with the same brilliant success that has always attended the like operations at Spithead, during the present year. Too columns of water thrown up were about 8 or 10 feet high, and a great number of fish were killed by both explosions. When one, of these charges was fired over the Boyne, it communicated a shock which was sensibly felt by Mr. George Hall, one of Colonel Pasley's divers at Spithead, who happened to be down at the time exploring the wreck of the Royal George, and not being aware of what was going on near Southsea Castle, he thought something heavy had been dropped into the water by accident, and fallen upon his helmet, as it gave him a smart rap. After the second explosion Mr. Deane went down again and found that both sides of the wreck, which had stood eight or ten feet high before the explosion, were knocked to pieces and laid prostrate, so that he could walk into the hull, which before was inaccessible from the outside. A deep crater was also formed in the mud alongside. Some pieces of timber and several copper bolts were brought up immediately by Mr. Deane ; and we have no doubt that Mr. Abbinett will be well repaid for the expense of gunpowder, &c., by the copper fastenings of the fragments of the wreck which he will be able to recover. He is now making arrangements for placing a lump over it, which his own handy sailing vessel will enable him to work to advantage. No part of the two great charges (amounting to nearly 600 pounds of powder) was spoiled by the failures of Wednesday, which only injured the conducing wire of the voltaic apparatus, and a small priming charge of a few ounces of fine powder in the centre of one of the wrought iron vessels.

17 Jul 1841 Portsmouth, Operations against the Boyne. Mr. Abbinet, has been for some time past successfully engaged in removing the wreck of this vessel. On the 8th inst., two charges of 100 lb. and 60 lb. of powder were lowered into the after-part of the ship, and fired with considerable effect by Daniell's battery. The diver visited the spot on the following day, and the workmen were then engaged in removing what they could by means of a machine constructed for the purpose. It is a is a powerful and well-constructed-scoop; by means of this instrument a great deal of mud was removed, and considerable quantities of timber and iron were brought up. But the most curious. thing recovered on this occasion. And brought up in the scoop, was a beautifully, ornamented brass field piece of three inches and a quarter calibre and four feet in extreme length. It has the following inscription in Swedish, translated by Mr. Vauderburgh, of this town : “With God's help, by King Charles XII, taken at the battle of Clitzow, 9th July 1702."" This battle was fought between Augustus, King of Poland, and Charles, on the planes between Cracow arid Warsaw, the former having about 2,000 men, and the latter little more than half that number, yet Charles gained a complete victory and took possession of the enemy’s camp, baggage, cannon; &c., of which the one now recovered was one. It seems somewhat curious that this was raised from the deep on the anniversary of the day Charles took it from the Poles. In addition to the above inscription, this gun has also the following – “F.A.H.Z.S.I.C.B.; and under this, “E U.W. C.H.U E.F.” under this again there is a shield having on it two swords crossed. The operations are still proceeding. [The gun here mentioned was doubtless brought from Guadaloupe, as the Boyne had in her many trophies from that island when she was burnt. Ed.] Hampshire Telegraph.