HMS Caledonia

Naval Database

| Previous Page | Next Page | Index

Caledonia, 1808
Type: 1st rate ; Armament 120
Launched : at Plymouth on 25 Jun 1808 ; Disposal date or year : 1875
BM: 2712 tons
Complement : 891

9 Aug 1802 the new ships building at Plymouth, viz the Union, 120, Caledonia, 120, and Hibernia, 120, are to have several gangs put on them, as soon as the ships wanting immediate repairs go out of dock.

May 1805 Building

7 Mar 1809 with Admiral Lord Gambier who relieved Rear-admiral Stopford's in command of the blockade of Basque Roads.

17 Mar 1809 anchored in Basque roads. 11 Apr the use of fire ships, explosion-vessels, and Congreve rockets against the French fleet at Basque roads and the results thereof.

23 Apr 1809 with Admiral Gambier onboard, departed for England.

21 Nov 1809, Portsmouth, the Caledonia and San Josef have been lying idle at Spithead for some months, but are now ordered to be fitted for Channel Service.

29 Apr 1810 At Cadiz.

15 May 1810 is reported by the Leda to be at Cadiz

27-28 Sep 1810 at anchor in Basque roads, the ships' boats of the Caledonia, Valiant and Armide captured two brigs, and destroyed a third, whilst the marines prevented support reaching the beach.

Portsmouth 3 Feb 1811 Prepares to sail for Basque Roads.

Portsmouth 7 Feb 1811 Dropped down to St. Helen's.

Plymouth 15 Feb 1811 arrived from Portsmouth and departed for Basque Roads.

Falmouth 9 Jun 1811 Passed this port for the Mediterranean.

24 June 1811 Reported to be off Cape de Gat.

18 Jul 1811 off Toulon.

13 Aug 1811 Téméraire and Caledonia involved in manoeuvres with ships of the French fleet off Toulon.

18 Aug 1812 With the Fleet off Toulon.

18 Aug 1813 ships' boats of the Undaunted, Redwing, Kite, Caledonia, Hibernia, Barfleur, and Prince-of-Wales captured 3 gun-boats, and 24 merchant settees and tartans in the harbour of Cassis.

5 Nov 1813 arrived off Cape Sicie and was involved in a skirmish with a French squadron off Toulon.

12 Feb 1814 a part of the fleet off Toulon which chased a French squadron into that port.

16 Aug 1814 arrived Plymouth from the Mediterranean.

2 Sep 1814 Has come in to Hamoaze, where she will be paid off in a few days.

1 May 1830 Commissioned at Plymouth as Flagship.

7 Aug 1830 Has been fitted at Plymouth for Channel service.

22 Jan 1831 In Hamoaze.

1 Feb 1831 accommodating 24 Spanish seamen from the Spanish slave vessel Veloz Pasagera, guilty of resisting a legal search by force by HMS Primrose, and of the murder of 3 British seamen, pending their passage on the Kent to Gibraltar to be handed over to the Spanish authorities at Algerziras.

11 May 1831 in Hamoaze.

20 May 1831 a squadron of Guard-ships, consisting of the Caledonia, 120, Prince Regent, 120, Asia, 84, Donegal, 78, Gloucester, 74, Alfred, 50, and Talavera, 74, are directed to assemble at Spithead. They are placed under the orders of Vice-Admiral Sir Edward Codrington, G.C.B., who will hoist his flag on board the Caledonia, and Rear-Admiral W. Parker, whose flag will be on board the Prince Regent. It is understood they will proceed to the Western islands, and employ the principal part of the summer in cruising between those islands and Gibraltar, as well as the mouth of the Channel. It is expected they will put to sea in the course of the present month.

21 May 1831 departed Plymouth for Portsmouth, Capt. Curzon, in command.

23 May 1831 arrived Portsmouth, from Plymouth, to join the squadron at Spithead, Capt. Curzon in command.

8 Jun 1831 at Spithead.

23 Jun 1831 at Spithead.

20 Jun 1831 an order has been issued to assemble a Court Martial, on board the Caledonia, at Spithead, to try Capt. the Right Hon. Lord William Paget, for having ordered Capt. Ayscough, late Commissioner at Bermuda, to be ex-cluded from the cabin allotted to him on board His Majesty's ship Winchester, by Vice-Admiral Colpoys, Commander-in- Chief on the Bermuda Station, and for disrespectful and unofficer-like behaviour, during the passage to England, in that ship. The C.M. was held on 29 Jun., but no evidence being produced by Capt. Ayscough, and the case not being proved, Capt. Paget's sword was returned along with the usual address.

7 Jul 1831 departed from Spithead, with the fleet under Sir E. Codrington, including the Prince Regent, Asia, Talavera, Donegal, Revenge, Wellesley, Alfred, Barham, Curacao, and Pearl.

27 Aug 1831 The squadron under V.-Adm. Sir Edward Codrington, G.C.B. consisting of the Caledonia, 120 ; Prince Regent, 120 ; Asia, 84 ; Donegal, 78 ; Revenge, 78 ; Talavera, 74 ; Wellesley, 74 ; Barham, 50 ; Alfred, 50 ; Stag, 46; Curacoa, 26 ; Tweed, 20 ; Victor, 18 ; Royalist, 10 ; Charybdis, 10, and Recruit, 10, from the Downs, anchored at St. Helens at six o'clock on the evening of the 28th, and moved up to Spithead the next day.

11 Sep 1831 departed Portsmouth with the squadron under the command of Vice-Admiral Sir Edward Codrington, consisting of the Caledonia ; Britannia ; Talavera ; Wellesley ; Revenge ; Barham ; Galatea ; Tweed, Victor.

25 Sep 1831 arrived Cork with the squadron under the command of Sir E Codrington, consisting of the Caledonia, Britannia, Revenge, Talavera, Wellesley, Barham, Galatea, Charybdis, Recruit, Brisk, and Viper, and departed for Plymouth and Portsmouth 15th Oct.

17 Oct arrived Plymouth Caledonia, Britannia, Wellesley, Talavera, and Viper, from Cork, departed on the 21st for Spithead.

22 Oct 1831 arrived Spithead and remained, the Caledonia, Britannia, Wellesley, Talavera, and Viper.

24 Oct 1831 Vice-Admiral Sir Edward Codrington relinquished the command of the Fleet recently under his orders. On Sir Edward leaving the Caledonia, the rigging was manned and three hearty cheers was given, which were returned by the barge's crew. The flag was struck at sunset.

24 Nov 1931 departed Portsmouth, for Plymouth, Capt. Hillyar, C.B., in command.

27 Nov 1831 arrived Plymouth from Portsmouth.

10 Dec 1831 in Plymouth Sound.

31 Jan 1832 her ship's company have been paid and advance of wages, so presumably she's due to depart shortly.

11 Feb 1832 men from the ship assist a merchant vessel off Plymouth.

10 Mar 1832 it is reported at Portsmouth that the complements of the 3-decker ships in commission, St Vincent, Brittania and Caledonia, are each to be reduced by 100 men.

10 Mar 1832 in Plymouth Sound.

24 May 1832 departed Plymouth for Lisbon.

8 Jun 1832 the packet Magnet arrived at Falmouth, from Lisbon with the following news: as stated elsewhere the Portuguese had asked the British to leave the Tagus, and the Admiral was in the process of organising his departure when the Caledonia, Britannia, Romney and Viper arrived from England. The Caledonia passed over the bar and entered harbour without any problems, but the Britannia got stuck on the bar, but after starting 80 tons of water, and with a high tide, managed to float off. No mention of them, but assume that the Romney and Viper entered harbour with no problems. In the light of the additional support the Admiral signified to the Portuguese Secretary of State, Viscount Santarem, that should he hear of any British subject being insulted he would be taking active measures accordingly.

8 Jun 1832 the Squadron based on Lisbon, having been cruising off the Tagus for a few days returned to the mouth of the Tagus and has now anchored within the bar.

16 Jun 1832 off the Tagus, with the Asia, Britannia, Revenge, Briton, Leveret, and Viper, with the Stag in the River getting supplies, and the Romney at Lisbon, providing a refuge for British subjects should the need arise. Don Pedro is looked for, but whether he would be successful against the Miguelites is not certain.

2 Jul 1832 remains with the Asia with the Squadron now reported to be standing on and off the Tagus according to correspondence received from an officer on board one of the ships. It is said that Don Pedro is looked for, but the outlook for his brother seems most uncertain, having run out of money to pay his troops, and upset everyone of influence in his attempts to obtain money.

11 Aug 1832 remains Cascaes Bay.

21 Sep 1832 remained with the squadron lying on and off the Tagus, when the Asia departed for Oporto, with the Admiral.

27 Sep 1832 it was reported from Oporto that she was in the Tagus for the protection of British lives and property.

2 Nov 1832 was at anchor off Lisbon.

22 Nov 1832 Asia was in the Tagus with the Caledonia, Britannia, Nimrod (under quarantine), and Viper.

11 Dec 1832 in the Tagus.

28 Apr 1833 arrived Plymouth from Lisbon, and is to be paid off.

16 May 1833 paid off at Plymouth and recommissioned the following day.

Jun 1833 is reported to have been fitted with Earle's fire-engine pump, which was trialled on board the Druid.

3 Jun 1833 was undocked at Plymouth.

8 Jun 1833 In Hamoaze.

28 Jun 1833 In Hamoaze.

12 Aug 1833 arrived Cork from Plymouth.

23 Nov 1833 Had departed Malta for Vourla Bay.

4 Dec 1833 Refitting at Vourla Bay.

18 Feb 1834 In harbour at Valletta.

5 Mar 1834 departed Malta on a short cruise.

23 Mar 1834 In Valletta harbour.

29 Apr 1834 Remains Malta.

22 Jul 1834 arrived Vourla from Mytelene, and has since departed to Scalanova and Nauplia.

2 Oct 1834 Is reported to have grounded on a sand-bank in the Bay of Sardinia, but was got off without sustaining any serious damage.

19 Dec 1834 Vourla Bay.

31 Jan 1835 is reported to be at Malta.

9 Feb 1835 departed Malta with a squadron for the Vourla, where it arrived circa 15 Feb..

1 Jul 1835 with the Mediterranean squadron, in the Levant, off Cape Sapienza.

16 Oct 1835 arrived Malta from the Levant.

8 Dec 1835 at Malta (flag ship).

7 Mar 1836 in Valetta harbour preparing for the Spring/Summer cruise.

11 Jun 1836 is reported to have returned to Malta from a cruise on 16 May, and departed on 25th to resume her station with the squadron in the Archipelago.

21 Jun 1836 departed Corfu for Patras.

6 Aug 1837 the Rapid, from Port Mahon, reports that the Caledonia was at Malta when she departed and was shortly due to sail for England.

16 Sep 1837 was paid off at Plymouth yesterday.

31 Oct 1840, Lieutenants Worsfeld, Tause, Houstoun ; Master David German, Second Masters Edward Moore, M. Burney, B. Fettook ; Purser Simon Little ; and Surgeon Samuel Ervin, appointed the Caledonia.

2 Nov 1840 commissioned at Plymouth.

2 Nov 1840 the workmen in the Royal Arsenal, Woolwich, are actively employed in finishing guns for the Caledonia ; 36 32-pounders are ready for shipping and the others are in a forward state.

5 Nov 1840 A detachment of Royal Marines embarked in the Salamander at Sheerness for a passage to Plymouth, for service in the Caledonia.

7 Nov 1840 Captain Henry Eden, Lieutenants William Worsfeld, Heater Tause, Wallace Houston, appointed to the Caledonia;

7 Nov 1840 Surgeon Samuel Irvine, M.D. ; Assistant Surgeons Alfred C. J . Tucker, John A. Corbet (acting), James C. Walsh (acting), appointed to the Caledonia ;

7 Nov 1840 Assistant Surgeon James Fisher (acting), Chaplain Andrew Watson, appointed to the Caledonia.

30 Jan 1841 Assistant Surgeon Dr. W. M’Dermott, of the Caledonia, appointed to the Iris ; Assistant Surgeon John F Veitch, appointed to the Caledonia.

18 Feb 1841 Parliament was informed that the Caledonia had been fitted with Harris's Lightning Conductors since 9 Jul 1839.

19 Feb 1841 Assistant Surgeon Dr. Archibald Little ; and Mate E. Fuge, appointed to the Caledonia.

12 Mar 1841 Assistant-Surgeon W. T. Alexander ; and Mate F. Porteus, appointed to the Caledonia.

13 Apr 1841 Midshipmen T. G. Sanders, of the Caledonia, passed for lieutenant.

17 Apr 1841 Assistant surgeon H. Johnson, appointed to the Caledonia.

29 Apr 1841 Assistant-Surgeon T. F. Henry ; Mate Phillip Hudson, appointed to the Caledonia.

8 May 1841 Mate Thomas E. Sanders, appointed to the Caledonia.

11 May 1841 Mate Philip Hudson, Caledonia, passed for Lieutenant.

29 May 1841 Assistant-Surgeon J. Wilmott appointed to the Caledonia:

5 Jun 1841 Assistant Surgeons T. Wallice appointed to the Caledonia ;

12 Jun 1841 Mate H. J. Giles, appointed to the Caledonia, in Hamoaze.

24 Jul 1841 Assistant-Surgeon Nicholas L. Dolling, appointed to the Caledonia.

31 Jul 1841 Volunteer 1st Class F. Egerton, appointed to the Caledonia ;

21 Aug 1841 Lieutenant J. M Boxer, appointed to the Caledonia, in Hamoaze.

28 Aug 1841 Mate O. Cumberland, appointed to the Caledonia ;

18 Sep 1841 Mate F. D. Younge, appointed to the Caledonia

16 Oct 1841 Mate John Moore (1841), of the Caledonia, promoted to Lieutenant.

6 Nov 1841 Mate C. J. Hoffmeister, appointed to the Caledonia.

27 Nov 1841 Mate J. H. Wharton, appointed to the Caledonia.

11 Dec 1841 Commander W. Worsfold ; Mates J. A. L. Wharton, T. Smith ; Surgeon James Wilson (b) ; Volunteer 1st Class W. H. Corneck appointed to the Caledonia.

18 Dec 1841 Lieutenant G. E. Patey ; Acting (additional) Assistant-Surgeon F. Henderson ; Mates T. H. Smyth, E. J. Voules, R. W. Clark, and F. L. Tremlett, appointed to the Caledonia.

17 Dec 1841 Lieutenants (additional) James B. Kinsman, Charles Knighton, and Henry T. Smith, appointed to the Caledonia.

23 Dec 1841 Plymouth, in Commission In Harbour.

Feb 1842 C-in-C Plymouth : complement of a 3rd rate - circa 435 officers and men ; 60 boys ; 150 marines.

26 Feb 1842 80 boys were transferred from the Caledonia and San Josef to the Minden this last week.

26 Apr 1842 paid off at Plymouth.

27 Apr 1842 re-commissioned at Plymouth.

24 May 1842 departed Portsmouth for Lisbon, touching at Plymouth, with officers and men for the Mediterranean Fleet, but on her arrival at Plymouth the order was countermanded and the personnel were turned over to the Caledonia.

16 Jun 1842 in Plymouth Harbour.

6 Oct 1842 is ordered to increase her complement to 630 men.

21 Oct 1847 Squadron Exercises see below.

10 July 1848. Captain T. R. Carter, Experimental Squadron, Portsmouth - see St Vincent for details.

20 Dec 48 Devonport

20 Apr 1851 Serving in the Mediterranean. Ordered home to be paid-off and to be replaced by the Indefatigable, 50, Capt. Smart - a reduction in the fleet in the Mediterranean.

2 May 1851 At Malta and due to sail for Devonport on 7 May

22 Jun 1851 arrived at Plymouth on Thursday from the Mediterranean. Having been inspected on the Friday she proceeded into Devonport harbour on the Saturday to be paid.

21 Jul 1856 noted as having been docked at Woolwich on Saturday to fit her out as the Dreadnought's replacement.

1856 Renamed Dreadnought, hospital ship

Sir Charles Napier's Squadron
Portsmouth, October 21.- The arrival of the Sidon steam frigate, Captain. Henderson, C.B.. enables us to continue our interesting details of the movements of Sir Charles Napier's squadron. Our last were by the Recruit, and dated Lisbon, the 8th instant:

" October 9.- At 9 A.M. signal was made by Sir Henry Leeke, Captain of the Queen, who was directed by the Commander-in-Chief (Sir C. Napier) to superintend and command the whole, for all the boats manned and armed, to be able to land marines and small arm men. At 10 A.M. the boats having been placed in line along the sandy beach, the word was given, "Prepare to land," when each boat dashed to the shore, and to those who were looking on it appeared incredible that in so short a space of time (five minutes), and by the energy and direction of one man, assisted by the officers under him, the whole force, amounting to 1200 men, with five field pieces, should have been landed and formed ready to advance. We speak of the whole, but in doing so we may be allowed to give especial credit to the Queen's men, who, vieing with the Avenger's Marine Artillery, were both positively upon the beach with their field-pieces limbered up and loaded and then formed, before the others were out of the boats. Next came the Caledonia's, close upon the heels of the two former. The manoeuvring of the marines and seamen went off well, and Sir Henry Leeke was heard to compliment Lieutenant Clarke of the Stromboli for the admirable order of his men, and their excellent discipline, as well as for the zeal he displayed throughout the day. At 3 o'clock p.m. the whole party embarked, and although there was much surf upon the beach, not one accident of any sort occurred.

" Sunday 10.- No movements.

" Monday 11.- The marines and small arm men were again landed under the directions of Captain Sir Henry Leeke, the Commander-in-Chief, Sir C. Napier, commanding the whole. The same mode of landing as on Saturday was adopted, but the forming was not quite so quick on account of there being more surf upon the beach. The battalion was, however, immediately formed, and the men were put through their manoeuvres by the admiral in person. Sir Charles Napier then sent to Sir Henry Leeke to say he was with the seamen and marines of the Queen, and supernumerary marines of the Caledonia, to defend a small rising ground, while he, Sir Charles, with his whole force, attacked it. In one moment, Sir Henry was at work with his men, and in a few more a most perfect battery was thrown up, with breastworks, embrasures outside ditch, and seven guns brought to bear. The marines and seamen under Sir Charles N Napier then advanced to the attack, and a variety of interesting manoeuvres, none of them concerted, took place. At three, p.m., the whole party embarked and reached their ships in safety, although a heavy surf was beating on the beech. The Terrible arrived to-day, from the coast of Africa, with the Portuguese exiles. This afternoon the squadron weighed anchor, and took up more eligible berths in closer proximity to the town.

" October 12.- No movements of consequence.

" October 13.-The Vengeance returned today and reported the result of the trials between the Amphitrite and Trincomalee, which is important, and which I give you separately. (See below.)

" October 14.- The Canopus returned today from superintending the trial sailing of the Amphitrite and Trincomalee. whom she had sent on to their respective stations.

" October 15.- The admiral hoisted his flag in the Sidon, and put to sea in company with the Odin and Dragon ; the Odin having six of the St. Vincent's upper deck 32-pounders on her main-deck, in addition to her own usual armament, to have a trial. The Odin carried this extra armament well. The Dragon and Sidon were to try the effect of the extra quantity of coal the latter had on board, the Sidon on having 650 tons in her bunkers, and the Dragon only about 320, her usual quantity. The coals did not seem to impede the Sidon's working, but the Dragon had a slight advantage under steam ; the Sidon's inclination under sail was only four degrees.

" October 13, 9 A.M.- Signal is just made, "An, opportunity for letters by Vengeance." She is going into Lisbon, and now the frigates will receive their orders to proceed to their respective stations. (The Canopus despatched them - the Amphitrite to the coast of Africa, and the Trincomalee to the West India station - before leaving the cruizing ground.) "