HMS Concorde

Naval Database

| Previous Page | Next Page | Index

Concord / Concorde, 1783
Type: 5th rate ; Armament 28 x long 18 pdrs ; 4 x long 6-pdrs ; 10 x carronades, 24-pdrs = 42 (1794), although classified as a 36.
Taken from the French : 1783 ; Disposal date or year : 1811
Complement: 257
Tons (BM) : 889.

4 June 1794, Rear-admiral Montagu, departed from Plymouth Sound with nine sail of the line and two frigates, to attempt to join Lord Howe and intercept a large French convoy from America. On the 8th, discovered and chased a French squadron, including 8 ships of the line, under the command of Rear-admiral Cornice, into bay of Bertheaume, and so stood back out to sea.

9 June 1794, sighted the French fleet of 19 sail of the line, returning from their recent meeting with the British fleet, which formed line-of-battle and briefly chased the squadron. With a squadron of equivalent rating on his other flank, Rear-admiral Montagu withdrew as quickly as the poor sailing qualities of the Ganges and Alexander would permit. Continued his search for a further 2 days, but failing in this, returned to Cawsand bay, Plymouth, on 12 June.

23 Apr 1794, A squadron of frigates under Sir John Warren in the Flora, consisting of the Arethusa, Melampus, Concorde, Captain Sir John Richard Strachan, Nymphe, engages a French squadron of 4 frigates off the Channel Isles, capturing 3, which were added to the Navy List : the Babet, as a sloop, the Engageante, as a hospital-ship, and the Pomone as a cruising 40-gun frigate.

25 Jun 1795, with the squadron at the landing of the [ill-conceived] Royalist expedition to Quiberon Bay, under Commodore Sir J B Warren, which returned to England in December with the remnants.

15 Oct 1795 Melampus and Latona, and later the Orion and Thalia, and later still the Pomone and Concorde, departed in chase of the two French frigates, the Tortue and Néréide, and the corvette Eveillé, 16. However, the closeness of the shore and prevailing weather conditions meant that the chase for the frigates was curtailed. But the Eveillé was less fortunate, and was taken by the Pomone and the Thunderer, 74, which had also appeared on the scene.

13 Apr 1796 capture of the French frigate Unité by the Révolutionnaire while cruising off Ushant, and forming a part of a squadron composed of the frigates Indefatigable, Argo, Amazon, and Concorde, Captain Anthony Hunt.

20 Apr 1796 capture of the French 40-gun frigate Virginie, discovered off the Lizard, and after a long chase, by the frigates Indefatigable, Amazon, and Concorde.

24 Jul 1797 captured the French privateer Poisson Volant.

3 Jan 1798 captured the French privateer Caye du Pont.

8 Jan 1798 captured the French privateer Prosperine.

11 Feb 1798 captured the French privateer Hardi.

13 Feb 1798 captured the French privateer Hazard.

1 Apr 1798 captured the French privateer Rosiere.

Between 8 Aug and 8 Sep 1798 Concorde and Lapwing captured the French privateers Buonaparte, Fortune, Amazone, and Sauveur, on the Leeward Island station.

1 Jan 1799 in the West Indies.

14 Feb 1799 captured the French privateer Prudente to windward of Antigua, La Prudente, copper bottomed, of 18 guns and 100 men. She had been cruising to windward of Barbadoes for six weeks, without making any other captures than two schooners, one from Halifax, and the other an American, was on her return to the Spanish Port of St. Domingo, where she belonged, and from whence she departed early in December last.

Circa 21 Jun - 27 Jul 1799 a French schooner letter of marque, of 4 guns and 22 men, from Guadaloupe to St. Thomas laden with sugar, coffee, and cotton, taken by the Concorde.

27 July, 1799 at Basseterre Road, St Christopher's.

19 Sep 1799 Portsmouth, arrived with V.-Adm. Harvey on board, from the West Indies.

26 Feb 1800 Portsmouth, arrived the Vrow Anna, from Dieppe, prize to the Concorde.

28 Feb 1800 Portsmouth, departed the Castor, 32, Captain Gower, to relieve the Concorde, cruising off Havre de Grace.

6 Mar 1800 Portsmouth, arrived the Concorde, 36, Capt. Barton, from off Havre.

25 Mar 1800 Portsmouth, a Court Martial was held on board the Gladiator, on Colin M'Carty, Carpenter of the Concorde, for drunkenness. The charge being fully proved, the prisoner was found guilty, and sentenced by the Court to be dismissed from his Majesty's service.

27 Mar 1800 Portsmouth, departed for Cork, from whence she will proceed with a convoy for Newfoundland.

1 Dec 1800 captured the Spanish privateer St Miguel el Volante, lugger, 2 guns, 29 men, off Oporto.

4 Dec 1800 wrote that during his stay off the Bar of Oporto captured the Spanish privateer lugger San Josef, alias Larcon, 6 guns, 40 men, from Vigo, and the Speedy brig, one of the convoy, and in an hour more would have captured another, as she was within hail when we saw her. See p. 72 of Naval Chronicle 1801 Vol 5 - Jan - Jun.

14 Dec 1800 the Concorde spoke to HM ships Flora and Constance, with a convoy from Lisbon to Gibraltar and Malta.

16 Dec 1800 captured off Lisbon a Spanish lugger privateer, of 6 guns, and 69 men, of Vigo, out 5 days, having captured the brig Speedy from Newfoundland, to Oporto, on the 13th ult.

27-28 Jan 1801 discovered a French squadron off Cape Finisterre resulting in an inconclusive action with the frigate Bravoure.

3 Feb 1801 5 P.M. arrived Plymouth Sound the Concorde frigate from Lisbon. An express is landed and sent off to the Admiralty of her having fallen in with a squadron of seven sail of French men of war in the Bay, and has engaged and crippled a frigate of that squadron.

4 Feb 1801 account brought by the Concorde frigate last evening is as follows : on the 26th ult. Cape Finisterre distant thirty leagues, she fell in with a French squadron of five sail of the line and two frigates commanded by a Centre-Admiral, steering in a N.W. direction. The Concorde had at this time a very large Swedish ship in tow, which she cast off, during the night Captain Barton bore away large, and observing the rocket signals of the French squadron, repeated them ; in the morning of the 27th, he had drawn away, at a distance from the French squadron, one of their frigates of 44 guns, and soon the Concorde brought her to action in a very gallant style, and a desperate engagement ensued for about 40 minutes. The enemy frigate was so completely silenced, that she never answered the four last broadsides ; by this time the French squadron was so near, that the Concorde was obliged to leave her well-earned prize, and bear away for this port. The Concorde had unfortunately 5 men killed, and 24 wounded. It is supposed the French frigate must have suffered considerably, as she lay like a log on the water. The Condorde has been sent up the harbour into Hamaoze to make good the damage sustained in thr action.

7 Feb 1801 arrived Plymouth the Swedish ship Daphne, laden with salt from Alicant for Gothenburgh, detained by the Concorde.

9 Feb 1801 arrived Plymouth the Swedish brig Neptunus, Haggermann, laden with linen, hides and hoops, from Nantes bound for Malaga, detained by the Concorde.

8 Apr 1801 went down into Plymouth Sound the Concorde, having repaired the damages which she recently sustained in the action with the French frigate La Bravure, 44.

14 Apr 1801 departed Plymouth Sound on a cruise to the Westward, it would appear to have been for Newfoundland.

5 Sep 1801 Capt Barton, of the Concorde, apptd Governor of Newfoundland, there being no Admiral on that station at the present time. It would appear that he also remained in command of the Concorde.

18 Dec 1801 departed St. John's, Newfoundland.

27 Dec 1801 arrived Portland.

30 Dec 1801 arrived Spithead the Concorde, 36, Capt Robert Barton, late Governor of Newfoundland, in 12 days, from St. John's, Newfoundland, the quickest passage remembered.

10 Mar 1802 lying in the harbour at Portsmouth, is to be repaired and refitted for sea.

7 Apr 1802 departed Spithead for Torbay, the Concorde, Capt Towry.

12 Apr 1802 arrived Spithead the Concorde, 36, from Torbay

Circa 25 May 1802 Mr. I Clyde, Purser of the Concorde, is appointed to the Sceptre, a new ship, 74.

Circa 25 May 1802 Mr Barnard, Purser of the Raven, to the Concorde.

Circa 25 May 1802 Captain John Wood apptd to the Concorde.

2 Oct 1802 remain at Spithead and in harbour Concorde, 36, Captain J. Wood.

15 Oct 1802 departed Spithead early Thursday morning, it is conjectured, for the Mediterranean. The Concorde was not under sailing orders so the business, therefore, must be of the most urgent nature and of the last importance.

21 Oct 1802 came to anchor in Cawsand Bay from Spithead, to wait for dispatches.

6 Nov 1802 remains in Cawsand Bay.

16 Nov 1802 sealed orders and dispatches received at Plymouth from London, were put on board the Concorde, 36, in Cawsand Bay, who is expected to depart shortly for a destination unknown. However she has this day completed her provisions and stores for six months.

21 Nov 1802 received her final dispatches, and at one P.M. got under way, and departed for her destination : where she is bound is unknown to both officers and men, as her orders are sealed.

5 Jul 1803 with France attempting to recover her war-time losses in the East Indies news that a renewal of the war was imminent brought about a number of manoeuvres and events between the French and British ships-of-war on the station.

May 1805 East Indies

Jul 1806 captured the French privateer Vigilant on the East Indies station.