HMS Crescent

Naval Database

| Previous Page | Next Page | Index

Crescent, 1784
Type: 5th rate ; Armament 36
Launched at Bursledon in 1784 ;
Disposal date or year : 6 Dec 1808
Disposal Details : Wrecked on the coast of Jutland, in a heavy gale: crew, except about twenty, perished Captain John Temple
Displacement : 888 ; Complement : 257

Portsmouth 19 Feb 1792 To be fitted out for commission for the East Indies.

Jun 1793 Crescent and Hind captured the French privateer Espoir in the Channel.

22 Jun 1793 Crescent, Hind and Lively, privateer, captured the French privateer Club de Cherbourg between Brest and Ireland.

20 Oct 1793 Capture of French frigate Réunion by the Crescent, Captain James Saumarez. The Réunion was purchased by the British government, and added to the navy, under the same name as a cruising 12-pounder 36-gun frigate.

8 Jun 1794 the escape of a British squadron, composed of the frigates Crescent, Captain Sir James Saumarez, Druid, and Eurydice, while cruising off the island of Jersey, from a more powerful French squadron, of the two cut-down 74s, or rasées, Scévola and Brutus, the two 36-gun frigates Danaé and Félicité, and a 14-gun brig, this, in front of spectators, and taking into account that the Captain of the Crescent was an Islander.

15 Aug 1796 The Crescent frigate entered Simon's bay and saw the Dutch squadron, consisting of two 66-gun ships, one 54-gun ship, five frigates and sloops, and one store-ship before rejoining the fleet, standing off the bay.

17 Aug 1796 Simon's bay, Cape of Good Hope. Was present at the capitulation of the Dutch squadron, greatly out-gunned by a much larger British squadron.

2 Dec 1796 The Crescent, Captain John William Spranger, accompanied by the frigate Braave, and 20-gun ship Sphynx, took possession of and destroyed the French settlement on Foul Point in the island of Madagascar ; bringing away with him five merchant vessels that were lying in the road.

1 Jan 1799 repairing at Chatham.

10 Oct 1799 captured the French vessel Arethuse, later purchased into the Service as the sloop Raven.

24 Oct 1799 protection of a Jamaica convoy by the frigate Crescent and the ship-sloop Calypso from a small Spanish squadron and the capture of the Spanish corvette Galgo.

23 Nov 1799 arrived Port Royal Harbour, Jamaica with the remainder of the English and Cork convoys, which had been dispersed by a Spanish squadron off the Mona passage, the General Goddard store ship excepted.

Between 20 May - 3 Aug 1800 in the West Indies, captured the Diligent, French National Corvette, 12 long twelve-pdrs, and 30 men.

8 Sep 1800 captured the Flora.

16 Oct 1801 the Falmouth packet, Princess Elizabeth, Capt Kidd, called at Jamaica, where he found HM Ships Cumberland, Abergavenny, Topaze, Circe, Cerberus, Retribution, Volage, Shark, Calypso, and Merlin, and during her stay the Carnatic, Seine, and Crescent arrived, and Capt Kidd departed Jamaica 2 Nov., with HM ship Apollo in company.

3 Nov 1801 the Falmouth packet Leicester, Steel, arrived Port Royal, Jamaica, where the Santa Margarita, Crescent, Carnatic, Retribution, Topaze, Mosquito/Musquito, and Abergavenny were present. During the Leicester's stay at Port Royal the HM ships Bourdelais, Snake, Echo, Ambuscade, Tisiphone, Calypso, Juno, Sans Pareil, Melampus, Pelican, Captain, Goliah/Goliath, Brunswick, and Elephant arrived there.

19 Jan 1802 arrived Spithead the Ambuscade, 36, Captain the Hon. John Colvill, from Jamaica. She sailed from Port Royal on the 7th of December, and left there R.-Adm. Montagu, in the Sans Pareil, with H.M. ships Carnatic, Abergavenny, Crescent, Melampus, Juno, Circe, Bourdelais, and Tisiphone.

Circa 13 Jul 1802 Captain L. Thompson apptd to the Crescent.

19 Jul 1802 came into Plymouth Sound the Crescent frigate from Jamaica, after a passage of seven weeks. She left the greater part of the British fleet preparing to return home.

20 Jul 1802 departed Plymouth Sound for Spithead, the Crescent frigate to be paid off. She had just victualled and watered previous to her sailing to the eastward.

23 Aug 1802 passed through the Downs from Spithead to Sheerness.

10 May 1803 her fitting is getting forward at Chatham.

10 Jun 1803 has been undocked at Chatham.

7 Jul 1803 the Crescent, Capt Lord Wm Stewart, still at Chatham, but will, supposedly, be ready in a few days.

28 Jul 1803 departed Long Reach for the Nore, having embarked cannon and powder &c.

31 Jul 1803 departed N Yarmouth for Hull.

29 Aug 1803 arrived N Yarmouth with a convoy of 50 sail from Hull to join the Baltic convoy.

15 Sep 1803 departed Elsineur with a convoy, but her convoy was dispersed the following day in heavy gales, and vessels had to make their own way to their various ports.

21 Sep 1803 was reported to have arrived off Bridlington, although a conflicting reports suggested that she'd returned to Marstrand with about 30 vessels from the convoy.

17 Oct 1803 at Sheerness preparing for departure for the Downs.

27 Oct 1803 arrived N Yarmouth.

28 Oct 1803 departed N Yarmouth on a cruise.

4 Nov 1803 the Crescent and Ferretter arrived in N Yarmouth Roads.

14 Dec 1803 arrived N Yarmouth from a cruise.

Circa 17 Dec 1803 a boat from the Crescent is understood to have been captured off Gooderede.

Circa 24 Dec 1803 further to the last message, whilst the Crescent and the Virginia were cruising off Goree on the 10 Dec the Crescent received a signal from the senior officer ordering the Crescent to return to port in England, as a consequence of which Capt Stewart went on board the SO's ship for instructions, but a strong wind blew up whilst he was onboard, and carried the ship's boat downwind for some hours, by which time the state of the sea had also deteriorated and the men were about ready to meet their maker, when the Crescent arrived on the scene and came alongside, giving the men to opportunity to cling to the ship's sides, at which moment the boat is reported to have sunk.

8 Nov 1804 arrived Spithead from attending His Majesty, off Weymouth, the Crescent, Lord W Stuart.

27 Nov 1804 departed Spithead on a cruise.

May 1805 Channel