HMS Curacoa

Naval Database

| Previous Page | Next Page | Index

Curacoa, 1809
Type: 5th rate ; Armament 36
Launched : 23 Sep 1809 ; Disposal date or year : March 1849
BM: 956 tons

9 Nov 1810 captured the French privateer Venus off Land's End.

3 Feb 1811 Is fitting at Plymouth for the East Indies.

16 Feb 1811 departed Plymouth for Portsmouth.

20 Feb 1811 departed Portsmouth with the East India convoy.

12 June 1811 arrived Cape of Good Hope.

10 Sep 1811 arrived Plymouth from the Cape of Good Hope.

23 Sep 1811, Plymouth Dock, passed up to the eastward, from the East Indies.

23 Sep 1811 arrived Portsmouth from the Cape, last from Plymouth.

17 Nov 1811 departed Portsmouth for the Mediterranean.

11 Jun 1812 action, in shore, off the island of Sainte-Marguerite, by the Swallow, with the French brig-corvette Renard and schooner Goéland, when in the company of the America and Curaçoa.

18 Aug 1812 Reported to be off the coast of Sardinia, and Corsica.

2 Jan 1815 arrived Portsmouth from the Mediterranean, Gibraltar (17 Dec.), with the remains of her convoy, and now at the Motherbank, in quarantine.

5 Jan 1815 now out of quarantine and has moved her anchorage to Spithead.

24 Jan 1815 came into Portsmouth harbour.

16 Aug 1815 arrived Deal from Portsmouth, and departed for the River to be paid off.

1830 Sheerness in Ordinary

1831 Reduced to 24 guns at Chatham

23 Jun 1831 at Spithead.

7 Jul 1831 departed Spithead, with the fleet under Sir E. Codrington.

27 Aug 1831 arrived St. Helens from the Downs, with the fleet under Sir E. Codrington and anchored at six o'clock on the evening of the 28th, and moved up to Spithead the next day.

16 Sep 1831 in Portsmouth Harbour.

1 Oct 1831 departed Spithead for the Downs.

11 Oct 1831 arrived Portsmouth from the Downs, Capt. Dunn, in command.

25 Oct 1831 departed Portsmouth for the Downs.

29 Oct 1831 the squadron under the command of R.-Adm Warren, weighed anchor from the Downs for the Scheldt, but, on approaching the Dutch coast, the squadron met with a severe gale and thick weather, when the Admiral ordered them to disperse and make the best of their way back to the Downs.

1-2 Nov 1831 the Stag, Galatea, Tribune, Curacoa, Imogene, Tweed, and Brisk, arrived in the Downs, the Talavera, Revenge, and Wellesley, with the rest of the squadron shortly after.

10 Nov 1831 remains in the Downs.

19 Nov 1831 is at Portsmouth preparing for service in the East Indies.

22 Dec 1831 departed the Downs for Portsmouth, thence to the East Indies.

8 Jan 1832 departed Spithead for the East Indies, Capt. Dunn, in command.

10 Mar 1832 arrived at the Cape of Good Hope.

30 Mar 1832 departed the Cape for India.

3 Jun 1832 at Trincomalee.

21 Jul 1832 departed for Madras.

2 Aug 1832 departed Madras for the Straits of Manilla and Batavia.

25 Aug 1832 departed Singapore for China.

5 Feb 1833 departed Bombay on a cruise.

13 Jun 1833 arrived Singapore from Bombay and Batavia.

7 Aug 1833 refitting in Negapore Roads.

10 Sep 1833 arrived Madras from a cruise, and departed on the 16th for Masulipatam.

13 Oct 1833 departed Madras for Calcutta.

31 Jan 1834 at Calcutta.

28 Mar 1834 arrived Madras from Trincomalee.

20 Jun 1834 Is reported to be in the Bay of Bengal.

2 Aug 1834 remained Mauritius.

30 Sep 1834 departed from Madras for a cruise.

Oct 1834 reported to be due to leave the station for England in the near future.

Dec 1834 reportedly at Calcutta.

25 Apr 1835 is reported to have departed Calcutta circa 29 Dec 1834, for Mauritius and England.

13 Mar 1835 is reported to be at Sandheads, off the Hooghly.

20 Jul 1839 Portsmouth is to take Sir C. T. Metcalfe, Bart, G.C.B., the new Governor of Jamaica. The Avon steamer arrived on Friday, with supernumerary seamen from Sheerness for the Curacoa.

28 Jul 1839 At Spithead. Midshipman Augustus P. Arkwright, Volunteer First Class C. F. Robinson, Naval Instructor R. C. Saunders appointed to the Curacoa.

10 Aug 1839 At Spithead.

17 Aug 1839 Portsmouth, departed Wednesday to Jamaica, with Sir Charles Metcalfe on board; after disembarking him she will proceed to South America.

Jan 1840 in the Rio de la Plata with the Stag, Calliope, Actaeon, and Grecian, due to the presence of a French force, along with other factors, which has left the coast of Brazil with very few British anti-slavery vessels.

30 Mar 1840 detained the slave vessel Treze de Juaho (Thirteenth of June), which was sent for adjudication to the Vice-Admiralty Court at Barbadoes and sentenced to be condemned. 20 Feb 1844 proceeds arising due for payment.

Circa 13 Jan 1841 in the Rio Plata.

Jan 1841 Monte Video, to go to Rio Janeiro to join the Rose.

9 Apr 1841 arrived Rio de Janeiro, from Montevideo.

27 Jul 1841 at Callao, preparing to sail for San Blas, and from thence to the Falkland and Society Isles.

14 Nov 1841 at Buenos Ayres.

20 Nov 1841 Volunteers First Class C. C. Day, appointed to the Curacoa.

27 Jul 1841, was reported to be at Callao, preparing to sail for San Blas.

29 Dec 1841 it was reported at Valparaiso to be in the Gulf of California.

6 Jan 1842 at San Blas when the Actaeon departed for England, and was due to sail in a few days for Mayathan and Guaynas.

30 Jan 1842 when the President departed Valparaiso was reported to be at Guaymas.

3 Jun 1842 departed San Blas for England with $1,850,000.

27 Jun 1842 the Dublin shortly due to depart Callao for Valparaiso to meet the Curacoa, before she departs the Pacific for England.

6 Aug 1842 departed Valparaiso.

21 Sep 1842 departed Rio de Janeiro for England.

16 Nov 1842 arrived Spithead from South America with about $2,000,000 on board to merchants' a/c.

19 Nov 1842 departed Spithead for the Eastward to be paid off. An account of her visit to the South Sea Island is reported to be in on page 3 of the Hampshire Telegraph for 21 Nov 1842.

17 Dec 1842 On paying off it is now reported that the ship's company made donations of £15 and £5 13s. 4d. to the funds of the Royal Victorian Fishermen and Seamen's Schools, and the Seamen and Marines Orphan School, in St. George's Square, respectively.

1843 Fitted with trial mast - see report below.

Dec 1843 Brazils.

1846 South America and River Plate

1847 Trial mast inspected - see article below dated 4 Mar 1848

Jan 1848 Sheerness, in Ordinary (reserve)

4 Mar 1848 Marine Glue.- The Lords of the Admiralty issued instructions in January, 1843, to the master shipwright at Chatham Dockyard, to have the mainmast of the Curacoa, 24 guns, then fitting at that port, joined with marine glue, to test its capabilities for that purpose. The mast was accordingly made of several pieces of timber, joined together, under the immediate superintendence of Mr. Jeffrey ; when completed it measured 28 inches in diameter, and 66 feet in length, and when put up, with the topmast, 90 feet 10 inches. The Curacoa was soon after commissioned by Captain Sir T. Pasley, Bart., and proceeded to the South American station ; and, on serving the usual period, was ordered home, and recently paid off at Sheerness. The vessel having been dismasted, their lordships ordered that the mast should be opened, as is usual after four years' service, to ascertain its present condition. The master shipwright,. Mr. Isaac Watts, at Sheerness dockyard, in compliance with their lordship's order, set eight men to work with sledge hammers and wedges to separate the timbers, but their united efforts at one time failed to separate the joints, and only split the solid timber into large pieces. The foremast, which was joined in the upper part in the usual manner adopted at the dockyards, was found to be very rotten, the parts where the wet had entered and been retained being equally yielding to the pressure of the hand as a piece of sponge, and in other places where dry crumbled into a powder on being pressed. Both masts being in the same vessel, and exposed to the same weather and climates, afford a correct comparison, and pieces of each have been sent to the Admiralty for their lordships' inspection.