HMS Prince of Wales

Naval Database

| Previous Page | Next Page | Index

Prince of Wales, 1794
Type: 2nd rate ; Armament 98
Launched : 1794 ; Disposal date or year : 1822

12 Jun 1795 the Channel Fleet, under Lord Bridport, including the Prince-of-Wales, Rear-adm. (r.) Henry Harvey, Captain John Bazely, departed from Spithead for Quiberon bay. 22 Jun sighted the French fleet to west of Belle-Isle, and finding the French admiral had no wish for a fight, ordered the Fleet in chase and to engage as ships came up. During the chase the former British 74, Alexander was retaken, along with the French 74s Tigre and Formidable (subsequently renamed Belleisle). And so ended the Battle of the Isle de Groix.

20 Sep 1795 Lord Bridport remained with his fleet off the coast protecting the ill-conceived Quiberon Bay expeditions until 20 Sep, when he returned with 2 or 3 ships to Spithead, leaving Rear-admiral Harvey in command.

Feb 1797 capture of the Island of Trinidad, along with the San-Damaso, 74, and induced the destruction of 3 Spanish ships of the line and a frigate.

Apr 1797 abortive attack on Porto-Rico.

24 May 1798 joined the fleet off Cadiz squadron.

31 Jul 22 Aug 1799 departed as a part of an expedition to the coast of Surinam, resulting in the taking of that Dutch colony, along with the capture of the French corvette Hussar, and the Dutch corvette, Camphaan, which were added to the British navy ; the latter by her own name, and the former by the name of the colony.

23 Jun 1800 Plymouth, this forenoon a very interesting spectacle presented itself to a numerous body of people assembled on the Hoe, viz. upwards of 200 sail of West Indiamen passing by the port, from Barbadoes, Martinique, and other ports in the West Indies. The fleet stretched from Penlee Point W. to the Bolt Tail, E, under convoy of the Prince of Wales, 98, La Victorieuse, 12, valued at upwards of 3 millions sterling.

5 Jul 1800 Portsmouth, arrived from the Downs.

8 Jul 1800 Plymouth, arrived from the Downs, to refit.

Circa 1 Aug 1800 is ordered to be fitted for the flag of R.-Adm. Sir Robert Calder, Bart, and Captain Penrose is appointed to command the ship. She is to be employed in the Channel fleet under Earl St. Vincent.

Circa 1 Sep 1800 Captain Prowse is appointed to the Prince of Wales, and not Penrose, as stated in our last.

Circa 1 Sep 1800 Lieut R. T. Hancock, of the Prince of Wales, 98, is promoted to the rank of Master and Commander.

23 Sep 1800 Portsmouth, departed the Prince of Wales, Captain Prouse, to join the Channel fleet.

22 Dec 1800 arrived Plymouth with the Elephant, Triumph, and London, from the Channel.

27 Dec 1800 departed Plymouth for Torbay.

7 Jan 1801 departed Plymouth to join the Channel Fleet.

8 Feb 1801 2-decker or 3 decker for the Admiral ?

11 Feb 1801 the squadron described below parted company with the Channel Fleet, and stood to the S.W., with a fresh wind from the Eastward, with a view to tracking down Contre-amiral Ganteaume's squadron, which due, apparently to intelligence errors at the Admiralty, sent R.-Adm. Calder to the West Indies, which turned out to be a wild goose chase, Ganteaume being in the Mediterranean. The Squadron consisted of : the Prince of Wales, 98, R.-Adm. Sir R. Calder ; Pompée, 80 ; Juste, Spencer, Courageux, Montague, Cumberland, 74s ; Thames, and Magicienne, frigates ; Telegraph, brig.

13 Feb 1801 made Cape Ortegal ; captured and destroyed a Spanish brig, laden with wine.

15 Feb 1801 experienced an exceedingly violent storm, in which the Montague lost her main mast, and the Magicienne, and Telegraph, were separated from the squadron. The Montague rigged jury masts and made her way to the Tagus.

16 Feb 1801 before the Port of Ferrol.

18 Feb 1801 the remainder of the squadron assemble under Cape Finisterre, and proceed to the Southward.

19 Feb 1801 the Prince of Wales was reported to be off Lisbon with La Juste, Pompee, Courageux, Cumberland and Spencer, ships of the line, along with the frigates Diamond and Thames by the packet arriving from Falmouth. Whilst in the Tagus at Lisbon the packet Earl Gower, Capt Marston, the Montague, ship of the line, arrived under jury masts ; the Thames, Maidstone, and Seahorse with part of a convoy ; the Phaeton from a cruise ; and the schooner Netley to repair damaged masts.

19 Feb 1801 brought to off Lisbon ; saw the Montague at anchor there, under jury masts.

21 Feb 1801 proceeded to the Southward ; and the squadron was joined by the frigate Diamond.

22 Feb 1801 made Cape St Vincent ; no intelligence.

23 Feb 1801 stood to the S.W.

25 Feb 1801 detached the Thames towards Madeira.

26 Feb 1801 fell in with the outward-bound West India fleet, under convoy of the Topaze, frigate, and a sloop of war.

26 Feb 1801 the Prince of Wales, Adm. Sir R. Calder, with the Pompée, 80 ; La Juste, Courageux, Cumberland and Spencer, 74 ; and the frigates Diamond and Thames, 38, reported to be at Madeira, and did not anchor, but departed the following day for the Canaries, en route for Martinique.

27 Feb 1801 the squadron and convoy arrive at Madeira. The convoy anchor. Received here a few bullocks and some wine for the use of the squadron. Also, received some vague information of the enemy's squadron being at Teneriffe.

28 Feb 1801 set all sail towards Teneriffe.

1 Mar 1801 saw Teneriffe ; prepared the ships for battle and anchorage.

2 Mar 1801 the squadron plying to windward towards the Bay of Teneriffe, where a few small vessels only were found under the batteries.

3 Mar 1801 stood over to the Grand Canary.

4 Mar 1801 captured a Spanish brig laden with wheat.

5 Mar 1801 detached the Diamond to the Eastward, and prize with her.

6 Mar 1801 bore up to the West Indies.

19 Mar 1801 detached the Thames towards Barbadoes.

25 Mar 1801 brought to off Bridgetown, Barbadoes, without seeing one strange sail the whole outward passage. Called out the Thames per signal, and proceeded with the Squadron to the Northward.

26 Mar 1801 arrived and anchored in Cassa Navire Bay, Martinico.

29 Mar 1801 completed the squadron with provisions, wood and water. Weighed.

30 Mar 1801 before Dominique.

31 Mar 1801 before Montserrat.

1 Apr 1801 brought to before the Swedish Island of St Bartholomew. Saw the British flag flying on the garrison. The same at St Martin's.

2 Apr 1801 saluted R,-Adm. Duckworth, before the Danish town of Christianstadt, Santa Cruz, which with the Island of St Thomas, had been taken possession of a few days before, by a detachment of troops brought from Martinique in his squadron. Same evening departed company with R.-Adm. Duckworth's squadron, and bore up to the Westward.

3 Apr 1801 steering down the coast of Porto Rico.

4 Apr 1801 becalmed ; anchored in the White Grounds off Cape Roxa.

6 Apr 1801 plying through the Mona passage, fell in with the Thetis, and Bordelais ; supplied the latter with some provisions ; captured and destroyed a Spanish schooner. Finding the current setting strongly against the squadron bore up to the S.W.

7 Apr 1801 before the City of Hispaniola.

10 Apr 1801 before Jaquemel.

13 Apr 1801 arrived and anchored in Port Royal, Jamaica. Found here the squadron of V.-Adm. Hugh Seymour, consisting of 5 sail of the line and frigates. In entering Port Royal, the Spencer ran on one of the Knowles, but was hove off the same evening without damage. Found here also the Topaze.

18 Apr 1801 arrived the Magicienne (which parted in the storm off Cape Ortegal), with a prize corvette of 16 guns, which by mistake had attacked the Magicienne in the night. In this encounter the frigate lost 2 men, but the loss on the corvette was considerable. On entering the harbour the Magicienne ran aground and injured her copper.

19 Apr 1801 completed the squadron with provisions, &c. Supplied the squadron of Lord Seymour with several cables, boats, water casks, and volunteer marines. Also attached to his squadron the Cumberland and Magicienne ; the Thunderer being annexed to the squadron of Sir R. Calder, in want of repair. Prepared to sail, but the wind being unfavourable the squadron had one day's respite, being the first since they left England. Received here four days of fresh beef and some vegetables. Sailed the packet for England, with the Retribution frigate, formerly Hermione, to convey her through the Windward Passage. Also sailed four homeward bound merchant ships under convoy of the armed merchant ship Thetis.

21 Apr 1801 weighed and sailed, the Topaze in company with the squadron.

22 Apr 1801 off the east end of Jamaica, plying to windward.

23 Apr 1801 off the west end of St Domingo. Passed by 2 American frigates.

24 Apr 1801 came up with the packet and homeward bound ships, which sailed on the 19th.

25 Apr 1801 parted from them off Cape Nichola Mole. Parted company the Topaze.

27 Apr 1801 off Monte Christo.

28 Apr 1801 off Cape Sumana.

29 Apr 1801 made Porto Rico.

29 May 1801 arrived Spithead with dispatches from Rear-Admiral Sir Robert Calder, whom he left in the Prince of Wales, with the Pompee, Juste, Courageux, Spencer and Thunderer, to the north-ward of St. Domingo, on their passage home. The Cumberland, one of Sir Robert's squadron, was left in the West Indies, instead of the Thunderer, being so leaky, as to require her being sent home.

Circa 31 May 1801 - 1 Jun 1801 spoke with the Formidable in the Channel, which gave orders from the Admiralty to Sir Robert to join the Channel Fleet, which he has done with the remainder of his squadron.

2 Jun 1801 the Spencer, arrived Plymouth Sound from the West Indies, reports that she parted in a fog with the Prince of Wales, of 84 guns, Rear-Adm. Sir R. Calder, and the rest of the men of war in a thick fog in the chops of the Channel, which hourly expected.

4 Jun 1801 the Prince of Wales arrived Spithead from the West Indies, last from the Channel Fleet.

13 Jun 1801 departed Spithead for Plymouth.

15 Jun 1801 arrived Plymouth to refit.

23 Jun 1801 departs Cawsand Bay for the Channel Fleet.

14 Oct 1801 arrived Cawsand Bay from the Channel Fleet, the Prince of Wales, 98, Vice-Admiral, Sir R. Calder ; Le Juste, 80 ; Capt Nagle, Robust, 74, Capt Jervis.

29 Oct 1801 departed Cawsand Bay the Princes Royal, 98, R.-Adm Sir E. Gower, with the Prince of Wales, 98, R.Adm. Sir R Calder, for Cork, or alternatively for Torbay, to await the arrival of the Channel Fleet.

19 Nov 1801 remained in Torbay the Ville de Paris, Royal Sovereign, Prince of Wales, Neptune, Prince, Royal George, San Joseph, London, Magnificent, Bellerophon, Hercule, Donegal, Robust, Edgar, Belleisle, Courageux, Fisgard, Amelia, Indefatigable, Childers, Atlanta, Nimrod. The Nile cutter departing for Plymouth to be paid off.

28 Dec 1801 remained with the Channel Fleet in Torbay with the Ville de Paris.

24 Jan 1802 the Prince of Wales, previous to her leaving Torbay, discharged all her spare provisions into the Bellerophon, 74, and Irresistible, 74.

24 Jan 1802 arrived Cawsand Bay the Prince of Wales, 98, Vice-Admiral, Sir R. Calder, Bart, from Torbay, to be paid.

27 Jan 1802 orders came down for the Prince of Wales, 98, Vice Admiral Sir R. Calder, Bart, to complete for the ships in Torbay, an extra quantity of provisions ; she sails the moment she is paid.

31 Jan 1802 since last report has arrived Torbay, and remains.

9 Apr 1802 came up to St Helen's, from Torbay.

17 Apr 1802 the Royal Sovereign, Prince George and Prince of Wales got under weigh to come into Portsmouth harbour, but the wind shifting to the westward were obliged to bring to again.

18 Apr 1802 came into Portsmouth harbour to be paid off.

20 Mar 1803 the Prince of Wales, Britannia, Royal Sovereign, and Windsor Castle, at Portsmouth, are to be fitted for commission. Their ballast has been stowed, as has their ground tier of water, as a result of which it is said that once commissioned they can be sent out to Spithead.

29 Apr 1803 commissioned at Portsmouth by Capt Giffard.

16 May 1803 due to the pending war due to restart against France following a breakdown in the Treaty of Amiens the ship's company of HMS Excellent were not to be granted protection from the press gangs during the 14 days leave that they would normally have been entitled to when returning from service abroad, to which the men supposedly agreed as a patriotic gesture, so instead of going on leave after being paid off from the Excellent, they will go on board the Prince of Wales or the Windsor Castle, preparing for sea in Portsmouth harbour.

21 May 1803 went out of Portsmouth harbour to Spithead.

Circa 20 May 1803 Lt Haynes apptd to the Prince of Wales.

17 Jun 1803 Adm G Montague hoisted his flag on board the Prince of Wales, as CinC Portsmouth, vice Lord Gardner.

27 Jun 1803 departed Spithead the Prince of Wales, R.-Adm Sir R Calder, Capt Cumming, for Plymouth.

29 Jun 1803 arrived Plymouth from Spithead ; and last night she captured a smuggling boat with upwards of 100 casks of spirits.

9 Jul 1803 departed Plymouth, to join the Fleet, V,-Adm Sir R Calder, in company with the Hazard, having reportedly taken 30 men out of the frigate Topaze to bring her ship's company up to complement.

18 Oct 1803 arrived Cawsand Bay, near Plymouth, the Prince of Wales, R.-Adm Calder, from the Channel Fleet.

2 Nov 1803 remains in Cawsand Bay.

6 Nov 1803 is to be victualled and stored for the Coast of Ireland, as V.-Adm R Calder Bart., apptd to command the squadron formed and forming there under the orders of Rt Hon Lord Gardner, CinC, Ireland, for the protection of that part of the United Kingdom. The force in Bantry Bay is already 7 sail of the line, and the numbers will be adjusted to meet requirements.

14 Nov 1803 departed Cawsand Bay the Prince of Wales, V.-Adm Sir R Calder, and the Plantagenet, Capt de Courcey, for Bantry Bay, where the principal station of the Irish protecting squadron will winter.

Circa 24 Dec 1803 per letters received at Portsmouth, from off Ushant, the Prince of Wales has departed that station to join the squadron off Bantry Bay.

24 Sep 1804 arrived Spithead, the Prince of Wales, V.-Adm Calder, and is ordered into Portsmouth harbour to be docked, from off Rochfort. V.-Adm Calder will strike his flag until she has completed her refit.

Circa 29 Dec 1804 the Rev Mr Souter apptd to the Prince of Wales.

19 Feb 1805 Vice-admiral Sir Robert Calder detached from the Channel fleet to take the command of the blockading squadron off Ferrol. 1 Mar arrived off Cape Prior where they found the Repulse with six sail of the line.

15 Jul 1805 with the blockading squadron off Ferrol, under Sir Robert Calder : departed 30 to 40 leagues off Finisterre to intercept Franco-Spanish fleet from the West Indies. 22nd sighted each other. Signal made to engage the enemy - the engagement. The damage ; subsequent manoeuvres by the two fleets ; the wash-up ; 26 Jul movements of the fleet following the battle.

14 Oct 1805 detached to England with Sir Robert Calder.

14-16 Jul 1806 the ships' boats from the Prince-of-Wales, Centaur, Conqueror, Monarch, Revenge, and Polyphemus, along with 3 boats each from the Indefatigable and Iris, capture the French 16-gun brig-corvette César from the R. Gironde.

Torbay 29 Dec 1806 Remains.

26 Jul 1807 departed as a part of a fleet of 38 vessels for Copenhagen and was present from 15 Aug - 20 Oct 1807 for the siege and bombardment of Copenhagen and capture of Danish Fleet by Adm. Gambier.

Deal 30 Jul 1812 departed for off Flushing.

Portsmouth 2 Aug 1812 arrived with a convoy from the Downs.

Portsmouth 25 Aug 1812 Remains with the Mediterranean convoy.

18 Aug 1813 ships' boats of the Undaunted, Redwing, Kite, Caledonia, Hibernia, Barfleur, and Prince-of-Wales captured 3 gun-boats, and 24 merchant settees and tartans in the harbour of Cassis.

5 Nov 1813 arrived off Cape Sicie and was involved in a skirmish with a French squadron off Toulon.

12 Feb 1814 a part of the fleet off Toulon which chased a French squadron into that port.

Plymouth 2 Jul 1814 Passed up channel last evening from the Mediterranean.

Portsmouth 3 Jul 1814 arrived from the Mediterranean, and put under quarantine at the Motherbank.

Portsmouth 4 Jul 1814 arrived from the Mediterranean.