HMS Raleigh

Naval Database

| Previous Page | Next Page | Index

Raleigh, 1806
Type: Brig sloop ; Armament 16-gun
Launched on the Tyne : 24 Dec 1806 ; Disposal date or year : 1841
Displacement: 382 tons

5 Apr 1807 being fitted out at Chatham.

31 Aug 1807 departed Deal, lately from Margate, in company with the Virago, and a convoy of transports with troops, the 6th Battalion of the 60th Regiment, bound for Cork, Ireland.

2 Sep 1807 arrived Spithead with accompanying vessels.

3 Sep 1807 departed Spithead for Ireland with convoy, Capt. Masefield in command.

25 Sep 1807 arrived Plymouth Sound.

14 Oct 1807 arrived to join the Channel Fleet at Torbay.

16 Oct 1807 departed Torbay with the Channel Fleet, it was rumoured, for Lisbon?

31 Oct 1807 is reported to have departed Oporto and subsequently arrived Plymouth with news that the Portuguese ports have been closed to British shipping.

15 Nov 1807 was brought in from the Sound at Plymouth to Hamoaze to refit.

17 Jan 1808 with the Phoenix, off Rochefort, observed a French squadron, under R.-adm Allemand, putting to sea : despatched to England with the information.

26 Jan 1808 arrived Plymouth with dispatches from the Coast of France, and reports having been chased by the Rochefort Squadron, but escaped through superior sailing.

16 Feb 1808 in company with the Rose, stopped off at Dartmouth, and later that day continued with their cruise.

24 Oct 1808 arrived from off L'Orient, but brings no news.

9 Jan 1809 arrived Falmouth from a cruise.

23 Jan 1809 arrived Plymouth Sound, from a cruise, Capt. Butt, with her prize, the French schooner General Junot, bound to Guadalupe from St Malo, laden with flour and provisions, captured last Friday.

3 Mar 1809 arrived Falmouth, the French schooner Charlemagne, under a prize crew, 1 of 8 vessels bound from L'Orient to Guadalupe with provisions, captured by the Raleigh after a chase of 10 hours : it is reported that the Raleigh has gone in chase of the remaining vessels.

7 May 1809 departed Madeira with a small convoy for England, some of the vessels having departed for their destinations before arriving at Plymouth.

Circa 30 May 1809 arrived Plymouth from Madeira (Capt. Sayer).

1 Jul 1809 arrived Spithead, from Plymouth.

3 Jul 1809 departed Spithead and arrived Deal later in the day.

4 Jul 1809 departed Deal, on a cruise.

11 Jul 1809 returned to Deal from her cruise.

12 Jul 1809 Deal, preparing for a major expedition to the Scheldt. 36 sail of the line, 19 frigates, and 42 sloops, plus another 40 or so vessels, excluding transports, are to be employed / deployed.

1 Jan 1810 arrived Sheerness.

16 Jan 1810 Plymouth Sound, went into harbour to be repaired.

13 Feb 1810, departed Plymouth with a convoy, for the Downs.

24 Feb 1810 captured off Beachy Head the French privateer Modeste, 4 guns mounted, and 43 men, 16 hours out of Fecamp.

25 Feb 1810 arrived Deal from Portsmouth, with her convoy and prize of yesterday, and remains.

23 Mar 1810 arrived Plymouth, from Portsmouth.

29 Apr 1810 arrived the Downs, with the Pincher gun brig in company, whilst on a cruise.

9 May 1810 arrived the Downs, appointed to join the North Sea fleet.

10 May 1810 arrived Yarmouth with the Fleet.

18 May 1810 departed Yarmouth for the Baltic with the Fleet.

23 May, 1810 in company with the cutters Alban and Princess of Wales, was in action in the Scaw with a number of Danish gun boats, one of which exploded and the remainder dispersed, greatly damaged.

22 Jun 1810 departed Plymouth, in company with the Plover, on a cruise.

8 Aug 1810 arrived from the Baltic and came to anchor off Cromer, after a passage of 7 days, bringing Captain Lukin, of the Mars. The Captain and officers went ashore and appear to have been too well entertained, and returned on board after the weather had deteriorated, and the tide was against them and were unable to make the sloop before she raised her anchor and departed, the First Lieutenant's boat, then under tow from local fishermen, thus meaning that the Captain and Jimmy and their crews had to return to shore, where they spent the night in the New, and the Red Lion Inns.

12 Aug 1810 departed Yarmouth with a convoy for the Baltic.

17 Aug 1810 arrived from the Baltic.

23 Aug 1810 departed for the Baltic.

16 Nov 1810 arrived the Danish privateer schooner, Admiral Niel Suul, 10 guns and 28 men, prize to the Raleigh, when in company with the Swan, whilst near the island of Lessoe, on 2 Nov.

18 Jan 1811, at Yarmouth.

20 Jan 1811 departed Yarmouth.

21 Jan 1811 arrived Sheerness.

23 Jan 1811 departed up the River Medway, [for Chatham ?].

27 Jan 1811 is reported to have arrived Chatham with a number of other small vessels with defects, which are to be made good in "great haste."

19 Apr 1811 at Deal with the Baltic Fleet, which in war-time usually departs for the Baltic once the ice has cleared.

Circa 12 Jun 1811 a letter from on board, to a Manchester paper, reports that the vessel is cruising off Norway, and that the weather blows a gale for much of the time, and that they've been unable to bring the local Norwegian squadron of 6 brigs to account.

20 Jul 1811 a convoy which departed this day from the Baltic was dispersed in a gale lasting 3 days. 27th-28th 32 were collected near the Scaw, and departed again on the 29th with the Raleigh, Manley and Daphne.

3 Aug 1811 chased 3 Norwegian vessels all night, but they contrived to create a situation where the Norwegians were joined by other vessels, including 12 gun boats, and it was found necessary to tack away.

23 Feb 1812 departed Yarmouth on a cruise.

28 Feb 1812 returned to Yarmouth and departed again later in the day for Anholt.

14 Apr 1812 cruising with a squadron in the Kattegat and Sleeve.

23 Sep 1812 drove a French privateer of about 100 tons, on shore under Easterrest.

12 Dec 1812 arrived Sheerness from the Baltic with a part of a Russian squadron.

28 Feb 1813 departed Deal for Portsmouth.

18 Mar 1813 departed Portsmouth with the outward convoy for Brazil and the East Indies.

16 Nov 1813 arrived Halifax, N.S., the brig Telus, Wiseman, 6 days from Sydney, departed under convoy of the Raleigh, parted with them 14th inst.

21 Nov 1813 arrived Halifax, N.S., with the transport Flora, 12 days from Sydney.

19 Jan 1814 arrived Halifax, N.S., in 8 days from Passamaquoddy.

2 Feb 1814 departed Halifax for England, with Capt. Cochran adc to Sir Geo. Prevost with despatches.

23 Feb 1814 arrived Plymouth from Halifax, with dispatches.

31 Mar 1814 remains in the Sound.

30 Apr 1814 paid off per ending date of records held at the National Archives ?

6 Aug 1818 Plymouth Dock, ordered to be recommissioned.

5 Sep 1818 recommissioned : Captain Baumgardt.

12 Oct 1818 Lieuts Wheatley and Justice apptd. Raleigh remains in Hamoaze.

13 Nov 1818 Surgn. N. Churchill apptd. to the Raleigh, but subsequently replaced by Elias Ryall. Master J.J. Lingard, apptd. to the Raleigh, for service in the Leeward Isles.

12 Jan 1819 arrived Barbadoes from Antigua.

28 Mar 1819 Barbadoes, having been sent to Para to obtain the release of the Flying Fish, detained there by the authorities, the Raleigh arrived from Para, with schooner Flying Fish on this date.

26 May 1819 departed Barbadoes with the Salisbury, Euryalus, and Fly, for St. Vincent's.

7 Jul 1819 died, the Surgeon, Mr. Elias Ryall, aged 32.

10 Aug 1819 departed St. Thomas's for England, leaving the Salisbury at that port.

. 15 Aug 1819 the Agamemnon, transport, arrived Portsmouth, where the ship's agent, Lieut. McDonald reported that the Raleigh had been sent to Jamaica before they left the West Indies i.e. allow a month or so for the actual date ?

19 Sep 1819 arrived Spithead, Portsmouth, from the West Indies, and is taking on board provisions etc., and troops prior to sailing with them for Leith, Scotland.

27 Sep 1819 Mr Achmuty, Midshipman, is promoted Lieutenant, and transferred from the Salisbury to the Raleigh.

29 Sep 1819 departed Spithead for Leith.

6 Oct 1819 arrived Portsmouth, with the Spartan from Leith, but ran foul of a merchant vessel, Europa, Talbert, in the Downs, which is reported to have received considerable damage, but was able to sail down to Portsmouth, presumably to receive repairs by the Dockyard, which is the usual solution when an R.N. vessel appears to be responsible for damage, or when there is doubt regarding who was at fault ?

9 Oct 1819 came into harbour from Spithead for refit.

28 Oct 1819 the Europa went out to Spithead having had the damage received on the 6th inst. repaired.

6 Nov 1819 taken into dock to repair defects.

15 Nov 1819 has been taken out of dock and is being fitted for overseas service, with orders to return to the Leeward Islands when ready.

22 Dec 1819 went out to Spithead.

1 Jan 1820 departed Spithead for the Barbadoes, but put back on Sunday on account of the weather and departed again on Monday 3 Jan.

29 Jul 1820 Jamaica papers advise that the Raleigh reports that the Governor of Carthagena had 2,500 troops to defend the fort against any attack made by the Independents : source not detailed.

7 Aug 1820 the Hampshire Chronicle of 7 August 1820 reports that Lieut. George Blackman of the Salisbury has been apptd. acting commander, in command, vice Baumgardt, invalided, and the Raleigh has been transferred to the Jamaica station.

9 Sep 1820 at Jamaica, per Sophie, arrived Portsmouth 23 Oct.

11 Oct 1820 the Admiralty announced that the commanding officers of the following vessels now cruising on the Jamaica Station, ie the Euryalus, Tamar, Confiance, Ontario, Bann, Parthian, Sophie, Nautilus, and Raleigh, have been supplied with their instructions, should the right circumstances arise, authorising them to detain Portuguese or Spanish vessels in accordance with the several Treaties with foreign powers for preventing the Illegal Traffic in slaves with those countries.

10 Jan 1821 at Jamaica.

Circa March 1821 Jamaican papers report that the Raleigh had spoken to a Spanish vessel who confirmed that an armistice had been concluded in the Spanish colonies.

11 Aug 1821 the Euryalus, arrived Portsmouth from Jamaica, reports that the Raleigh had been sent to Maracaibo, (now in Venezuela), and Curacoa.

20 Oct 1821 departed Port Royal, Jamaica.

15 Nov 1821 departed Havannah.

19 Dec 1821 arrived Spithead, with the Ontario, from, Havannah, having experienced very bad weather on her passage. She brought home about $300,000, on merchants account.

26 Dec 1821 departed for Chatham, to be paid off.

14 Jan 1822 paid off.

Circa 18 Apr 1826 commissioned at Chatham. Capt. Dalling apptd. in command ; W. Burke apptd. Purser to the Raleigh.

26 Jun 1826 it is reported in the Portsmouth newspapers that she is fitting for the Mediterranean, and is expected Portsmouth shortly.

13 Jul 1826 departed Chatham and the Medway for Spithead with 70 men from the Ganges.

18 Jul 1826 arrived Spithead from Chatham.

23 Jul 1826 departed Spithead for the Mediterranean.

3 Sep 1826 arrived Valetta, Malta, from England, a passage of 40 days.

21 Nov 1826 a letter from Malta reports that the Raleigh is stationed off Alexandria.

23 Nov 1826 the death of Lieut. Geo. Wyndham of the Raleigh, at Malta Hospital, is reported in the Bath Chronicle of 23 Nov 1826 late son of R.-Adm. Wyndham.

12 Dec 1826 it is reported from Malta that the Raleigh is stationed off Alexandria / Syria.

13 Jan 1827 a Hampshire newspaper reports that Lieut. W.F. Young has been apptd. to the Raleigh.

3 Feb 1827 Lieut. Wm. Dickson apptd. to the Raleigh vice, Wyndham, deceased.

31 Mar 1827 at Malta.

12 May 1827 Malta, reported to be on convoy duties in the Ionian Islands.

27 Sep 1827 departed Smyrna for Constantinople with convoy of 6 vessels.

5 Nov 1827 at Smyrna with the Cambrian, Dryad, Gannet and Camelion, and a number of military vessels from other European nations, pending instructions, the possibility of war being present, with the need to evacuate Europeans.

19 Dec 1827 still at Smyrna protecting British trade and residents.

29 Jan 1828 Lieut. Sir W. Dickinson, Bart., apptd. to the Raleigh, per the newspapers, however I note that in the Navy List the name is spelt Dickson, seniority as Lieut. 15 Oct 1822.

11 Feb 1828 Cdr. J.W. Dalling promoted Captain, Cdr. J.B. Dundas to the Raleigh.

20 Mar 1828 remains at Smyrna.

24 May 1828 arrived Valletta, from Carabusa with a small convoy of transports.

4 Jun 1828 refitting at Malta.

10 Jul 1828 still refitting at Valletta.

14 Aug 1828 with a squadron off Alexandria, including the ship of the line Ocean, the frigate Blonde, and sloops Pelorus, Pelican, and Mosquito. It was reported that Greek slaves had been given over to the British Consul by the Pacha.

6 Sep 1828 Cdr. J.B. Dundas, promoted Captain. Cdr. George Haye apptd. to the Raleigh.

25 Oct 1828 British newspapers report the Regatta held at Alexandria, with the French joining in the fun, much to the amusement of the local Pachas, and on a more serious note reported a few days later that 200 Greek slaves were to be sent to Engina within the spirit of the agreement entered into with Sir Edward Codrington.

17 Nov 1828 arrived Corfu with Mr. Elphinstone and dispatches.

30 Nov, 1828 Malta, the Blonde and Raleigh were reported to be at Patras.

20 Dec 1828 French papers report that the Raleigh arrived Corfu, 10 days from Poros (Patras?) 4 Mar 1829 UK papers report Cdr. George Haye promoted Captain. Lieut. Sir Wm. Dickson, Bart., promoted to Cdr. apptd. in command.

15 Apr 1829 reported to be back at Smyrna, with the Ocean and Samarang.

27 May 1829 arrived Malta with the French frigate Didone in 4 days from Navarino, and is to refit.

29 Aug 1829 at Malta.

4 Oct 1829 arrived Malta from Smyrna.

8 Oct 1829 departed Malta for Gibraltar.

12 Nov 1829 arrived Portsmouth from the Mediterranean via Gibraltar (1st inst.).

15 Nov 1829 departed Portsmouth for Woolwich, to be paid off.

17 Nov 1829 passed by Deal en route for the river and Woolwich.

5 Dec 1829 Woolwich, paid off.

13 Jul 1830 Cdr A.M. Hawkins and Lt/A.N. Fairman apptd. to the Raleigh. 14 Jul Surgn. Andrew Smith ; 19 Jul Lt. A.C. Dawson, both apptd. to the Raleigh.

2 Aug 1830 Mr. T.M.Illden Telby, Purser, apptd to the Raleigh at Woolwich, fitting for the Mediterranean.

10 Aug 1830 Fitting at Woolwich.

7 Aug 1830 Woolwich, preparing for service on the Mediterranean station.

27 Oct 1830 arrived Plymouth Sound from Woolwich.

7 Dec 1830 departed Plymouth, for the Mediterranean.

26 Dec 1830 arrived at Malta, from Plymouth.

30 Dec 1830 arrived Salamis with the Pallas, where the Brittannia and Philomel were waiting and were to remain until the Acropolis was given up to the Greeks.

2 Feb 1831 departed Malta for Tripoli and Tunis.

9 Mar 1831 at Malta.

12 Mar 1831 departed for Tunis and Naples.

4 May 1831 in the Archipelago, Commander A. Hawkins, in command.

8 Aug 1831 in the Archipelago : the plague was said to be raging at Smyrna.

21 Oct 1831 cruising in the Archipelago.

5 Feb 1832 at Napoli di Romania.

29 Mar 1832 at Malta when the Donegal departed for England.

28 Apr 1832 departed Malta for Corfu ?

14 May 1832 departed Nauplia.

22 May 1832 arrived Malta, from Nauplia,

28 May 1832 spoke with the Firebrand off Malta.

21 Jun 1832 Mr. F.W. Paul, Master's Asst., apptd to the Donegal.

20 Jul 1832 at Napoli di Romania with the flag ship St. Vincent, and some French, Austrian and Russian vessels.

20 Jul 1832 another report states that she was at Napoli di Romannia with the St. Vincent, when the packet Alban departed for Malta.

16 Sep 1832 arrived Alexandria.

11 Oct 1832 arrived Malta, from Nauplia.

18 Nov 1832 following the departure of the St. Vincent to the Tagus raised Adm. Hotham's flag, being the only man of war at Malta.

18 Feb 1833 arrived Smyrna, from Napoli.

25 Mar 1833 arrived Salonica in search of pirates, and departed the following day for Smyrna.

25 Mar 1833, UK papers report that Mr. Brenton, clerk on Sir H. Hotham's staff, HMS Alfred, apptd. purser of the Raleigh ; and 26 Mar., Mr. T. Tilley of the Raleigh apptd. to the Madagascar.

20 May 1833 with the fleet at Malta.

10 Jul 1833 arrived Malta, from Tripoli.

17 Jul 1833 departed Malta for Aexandria.

25 Jul 1833 the Raleigh is with the Fleet in the Dardanelles, but the Russian army having retired from the scene, and apparently achieved what they wanted by diplomacy, and the French Squadron having also withdrawn into the Mediterranean, the British are also expected to reduce their numbers in the region.

16 Aug 1833 cruising off Corfu.

7 Oct 1833 Lieut. A.W. Jerningham apptd. to the Raleigh.

3 Nov 1833 at Malta.

14 Nov 1833 Mid. W.R. Russell, late of the Raleigh, passed his examination for Navigation at the RN College.

23 Nov 1833 at Vourla Bay with the fleet.

4 Dec 1833 at Corfu.

20 Dec 1833 remains at Corfu, whilst the fleet occupies Vourla Bay.

6 Jan 1834 at Malta, in quarantine, and under orders to proceed to Gibraltar shortly.

27 Jan 1834 departed Malta.

15 Feb 1834 arrived Gibraltar, Captain Abraham M. Hawkins in command.

20 Mar 1834 departed on a cruise.

3 Apr 1834 back at Gibraltar.

7 Apr 1834 Acting Lieutenant C.F. Schomberg and Acting Master W.J.W. Burney apptd. to the Raleigh.

5 May 1834 departed Gibraltar for England.

17 May 1834 arrived Spithead, from Gibraltar : W. to S.W., fresh breezes.

17 May 1834 Master's Assistant E. Tatham apptd. to the Raleigh.

23 May 1834 arrived Sheerness, from Spithead, to be paid off.

16 Jun 1834 Midshipman Charles F. Schomberg, late of the Raleigh, passed for Lieutenant at the RN College on Tues last.

4 Aug 1834 Commander M. Quin apptd. in command of the Raleigh.

7 Aug 1834 HMS Raleigh commissioned at Sheerness.

8 Aug 1834 taken out of dock at Sheerness.

1 Sep 1834 Lieutenant Henry Johnstone apptd. from the Thalia to the Raleigh.

22 Sep 1834 fitting-out in the basin at Sheerness for service in the East Indies. Lieuts. E.E. Grey, Jack Murray, Mr. T.A. Lord, Master, Mr. James Syme, Surgeon, Wm. Gradidge, and Mr. Robert McCrae, (M'Crae) Assistant Surgeon, have been apptd. to the Raleigh.

2 Oct 1834 departed Sheerness for the East Indies.

6 Oct 1834 Deal, arrived from the Nore, for the westward.

10 Oct 1834 arrived Plymouth, en route for the East Indies.

13 Oct 1834 departed for the East Indies.

21 Oct 1834 arrived Madeira, from Plymouth.

25 Oct 1834 departed Madeira for the East Indies.

28 Nov 1834 detained in latitude 20° 58' South, longitude 17° 49' West, the slave brigantine Rio da Prata, 248 tons, with 532 Africans onboard and a cargo of tortoise-shell, Luez Antonio de Silva, Master, which was sent for adjudication to the British and Brazilian Mixed Court of Commission, Rio de Janeiro and was sentenced on 6 Feb 1835.

29 Nov 1834 Raleigh departed for the Cape of Good Hope.

16 Dec 1834 the slave brigantine Rio da Prata / Plata arrived Rio de Janeiro under her prize crew.

22 Dec 1834 the Raleigh had arrived at the Cape of Good Hope, and an officer sent a letter describing the events surrounding the capture of the Rio da Prata, which had departed the Coast of Africa 5 Nov with 565 slaves. When the prize crew was put on board 15 of the slaver's crew were put on board the Raleigh, and the vessel was sent to under the charge of a lieutenant, mate and 5 seamen and 5 marines to the appropriate Court for adjudication, which appears to have been Rio de Janeiro, as advised in subsequent court papers and other actions, see below, and not Sierra Leone as advised in the letter.

22 Feb 1835 was reported to be off the Point due Galle.

30 Mar 1835 a party of 40 armed men from a brig under Montevidean colours attacked the men holding the slaves from the Rio da Prata whilst their case was reviewed by the British and Brazilian Mixed Court of Commission, Rio de Janeiro, which often took months to resolve their cases, much to the annoyance of the Foreign Office in London, and Lord Palmerston, who, I think, was the Foreign Minister ? By this time, however, the slaves were said to be in a pitiful condition. During the attack the 180 of the slaves were selected and put on board the supposed Montevidean brig, which is said to have disappeared without trace according to the Brazilian authorities, but no doubt smuggled to the various estates where sugar was grown.

25 Apr 1835 it was also reported that about 200 of the slaves were taken away by a mob and 3 of the crew of the Raleigh injured.

27 May 1835 departed Madras for a cruise.

12 Jun 1835 departed Madras for Manila and China.

17 Jun 1835 at Bombay with the Rattlesnake.

1 Jul 1835 arrived Trincomalee, from Madras.

9 Jul 1835 Lieut. R.C. Mitchell apptd. to the Raleigh.

1 Aug 1835 departed Macao.

At sea, 4-5 Aug 1835 and experienced the effects of a typhoon ; the barometer fell to 28.20, during which the ship was blown on her side for a while, and she also reported having been keel out of the water, see below, and from Canton it was reported she had lost 2 of her crew and received much damage, including the loss of all her masts and 15 guns thrown overboard. See extracts from the log.

10 Aug 1835 returned to Macao under jury rigging. One marine, Thomas Jacobs, and one boy, James Sparshot, were missing after the ship righted. The Preston Chronicle of Saturday 20 February 1836 includes an extract from a letter sent by one of the ship's officers detailing the story of how the ship survived.

4 Nov 1835 at Manilla.

12 Dec 1835 Mr Knott, assistant clerk in the Admiral's Office, apptd. to the Raleigh, vice Barham, invalided from the station.

4 Jan 1836 departed Madras for Trincomalee.

2 Feb 1836 arrived Calcutta from Madras.

8 Feb 1836 a Bengal newspaper reports that a near mutiny took place on board the merchant vessel Lowther in China waters, requiring the Raleigh to intervene to quell the disturbance. The ringleaders were taken on board and have "since proved very tractable."

8 Feb 1836 the Bengal newspaper also reports that one sixteenth of the vessel and cargo has been decreed by the Recorder for the salvage of the schooner Bombay, to the Captain, officers and men on board at the time the salvage took place, in June last year ; although the conclusion came in for some flack from the press.

7 Mar 1836 Mr. R.B. Barwell apptd. College Mate of the Raleigh.

5 Apr 1836 arrived Bombay from Trincomalee.

11 May 1836 departed Madras for a cruise.

16 May 1836 cruising off Madras.

5 Jun 1836 arrived Madras from a cruise.

11 Jun 1836 departed for the Straits and Canton.

5 Jul 1836 arrived at Singapore from Penang and once briefed and stored with fresh provisions, departed again on the 8th in pursuit of the pirates who have been causing the trade a lot of problems in the area.

18 Jul 1836 arrived Singapore from an anti-piracy patrol.

26 Aug 1836 letters from Singapore, report that the Dutch have been putting pressure on the local Chiefs and Sultans to find alternative occupations for their subjects, in an attempt to reduce piracy in the Straits region [the more things change the more they seem to remain the same : 170 years down the line] ; meanwhile the Andromache and Raleigh, Captains Chads and Quin, have resumed their search for pirates and on 1 Aug the boats of the former destroyed 6 large pirate prahus, their Chief, on seeing no possibility of escape apparently set fire to the powder on board, killing many of his own men, and a seaman from the Andromache, and wounding several men in the process.

4 Sep 1836 the Jupiter arrived at Portsmouth with invalided personnel from the East Indies, including Lieut. Edw. Evans Grey, former senior Lieutenant of the Raleigh, along with messrs Freeling and Newland, mates, late of the Raleigh. Lieut. H.J. Harvey had been apptd. from the Winchester to the Raleigh, and the Assistant Surgeon had been apptd. to the Winchester.

12 Sep 1836 arrived Singapore from an anti-piracy cruise.

13-14 Sep 1836 Portsmouth, Mr. Francis Freeling passed for Lieutenant at the RN College.

2 Oct 1836 arrived Singapore, from Padang.

24 Oct 1836 departed Singapore for Malacca and Penang.

24 Oct 1836 Extra Mate B. Kooystra, apptd. to the Raleigh.

29 Oct 1836 arrived Singapore from Malacca.

29 Nov 1836 arrived Singapore.

3 Dec 1836 departed Singapore, with the Wolf in company, in search of pirates and thence to Malacca.

21 Jan 1837 the Commanding Officer, Commander Quin is noted in the UK newspapers as having been promoted to Captain.

31 Jan 1837 arrived Singapore, from Malacca.

11 Apr 1837 arrived at Manilla.

1 Jul 1837 departed for China.

29 Aug 1837 returned to Macao Roads, from Foo-chow-foo, in the Province of Fukun, having picked up 15 British seamen wrecked on the coast.

4 Oct 1837 arrived Singapore from China.

6 Oct 1837 departed Singapore for Calcutta.

24 Nov 1837 departed Madras, for Trincomalee.

6 Jan 1838 arrived Bombay from Trincomalee.

5 Mar 1838 arrived Bombay from Colombo, Allepee, and Tellicherry.

2 May 1838 departed Bombay for a cruise.

21 May 1838 arrived at Madras from Trincomalee.

26 May 1838 departed Madras, for England.

22 Jul 1838 arrived the Cape of Good Hope.

1 Aug 1838 departed the Cape of Good Hope.

23 Aug 1838 departed St. Helena.

29 Aug 1838 arrived Ascension.

1 Sep 1838 departed Ascension in company with the Zebra, for England.

15 Oct 1838 arrived Portsmouth from Madras.

17 Oct 1838 departed Portsmouth for Sheerness, to be paid off.

3 Nov 1838 paid off at Sheerness.

15 May 1841 Sheerness, to be sold out of the service.

Extract from the log of HMS Raleigh, Captain Quin - in Civil Time.

Hour. Courses. Winds. Bar. Ther. Remarks.
4 Aug 1835.
1   Variable      
8   N by E 29.60   Barometer 29.60, and falling; in fore and main-top-gallant-sail.
Close-reefed topsails and courses.
Noon     29.45   Down top-gallant-mast and yards.
12.30         Barometer fell from noon .15 ; took in sail as usual.
5   Northerly     Split the fore-staysail.
7.30   SE     The wind veered round to N N E, when a heavy typhoon commenced.
8   NNE 29.36   Ship, falling off, made a lurch, and took in so much water that had not the hatches been battened down, the consequences must have been fatal; it was with the greatest difficulty she righted: typhoon increasing, unbent main-trysail.
10   N E     At 10, P.M., close-reefed the fore- trysail and set it ; typhoon veering gradually round to E N E, with a heavy sea.
11         Ship making such dangerous lurches, in fore-trysail: typhoon increasing.
Midn.     29.04  
5 Aug 1835.
2   E b N 29.05    
3   ESE 28.30   At 3, typhoon veered round to ESE, still increasing in violence ; and at 3, the barometer 29.5 and falling, at 6.30, barometer from 28.30 to 28.20, commenced throwing carronades, slides, and shot overboard ; at 8 A.M. typhoon increasing, relieved ship of remaining carronades, except the 7th carronade larboard. (The cutter on larboard quarter held so much of typhoon, and fearing the boat might be forced up the mizen rigging, or fall in-board and increase ship's danger, cut her away.)
At 9.30, the ship made a very deep lee lurch, and at the same time was struck by a heavy weather sea ; the typhoon blowing, it possible, with still greater fury ; the ship went over, and carried away both wheel ropes and relieving tackle ; in this awful situation the ship lay for about twenty minutes, with the major part of officers and ship's company on her weather larboard broadside, who, with the most praiseworthy coolness and activity, succeeded in cutting the lanyards of backstays and lower rigging.
9.50, the masts and bow-sprit went by the board, and H. Majesty’s sloop righted, with four feet water in her hold.
5   SE 28.20  
9 30        
Noon         Lat. 20° 44', long. 119° E.
P.M.         People employed clearing the wreck.
1   SSE    
7   Southerly     Observed the typhoon to moderate a little. At 6, typhoon more moderate, strong gusts of wind, with a heavy sea to the southward. The pinnace and second gig were cut adrift and floated out of the ship while she was on her beam ends, or more properly speaking, keel-out ; all anchors saved, two long guns, 9-pounders, one 32, and one 12-pounder carronades, and a jolly-boat on the poop larboard side saved ; but in all other respects, a clean sweep on her upper deck.