HMS Royal George

Naval Database

| Previous Page | Next Page | Index

Royal George, 1788
Type: 1st rate ; Armament 100
Launched : 1788 ; Disposal date or year : 1822
BM: 2286 tons
Complement: 866

14 Jul 1793 departed with the Channel fleet from St. Helen's. On the 18th to the west of the Scilly Isles and subsequent manoeuvres.

31 Jul 1793 briefly sighted, but was unable to close the French fleet ; returned to Torbay on 10 Aug.

23 Aug 1793 the Channel Fleet departed to escort the Newfoundland trade, West Indian convoys in home waters.

27 Oct 1793, joined the Channel Fleet and departed in search of the French fleet and squadrons. 18 Nov brief skirmish with a French squadron : by mid-December the fleet had returned to Spithead.

2 May - 1 Jun 1794 Departure of the Channel Fleet from St. Helen's, and the lead up to actions and manoeuvres with the French fleet. 29 May - 1 Jun., what was to be known as the Battle of the Glorious 1st June commences, resulting in the capture of six sail of the line and one sunk. Review of the part performed by each British ship engaged. 13 Jun, the fleet arrived back in home ports.

14 Feb 1795 the Channel fleet departed from Torbay for a brief cruise and to see various convoys safe out of the Channel.

12 Jun 1795 the Channel Fleet, under Lord Bridport, including the Royal-George, Admiral (w.) Lord Bridport, Captain William Domett, departed from Spithead for Quiberon bay. 22 Jun sighted the French fleet to west of Belle-Isle, and finding the French admiral had no wish for a fight, ordered the Fleet in chase and to engage as ships came up. During the chase the former British 74, Alexander was retaken, along with the French 74s Tigre and Formidable (subsequently renamed Belleisle). And so ended the Battle of the Isle de Groix.

20 Sep 1795 Lord Bridport remained with his fleet off the coast protecting the ill-conceived Quiberon Bay expeditions until 20 Sep, when he returned with 2 or 3 ships to Spithead, leaving Rear-admiral Harvey in command.

1796 the Channel fleet was divided into three squadrons : the first, under Rear-admiral Sir Roger Curtis, in the Formidable 98, to cruise to the westward ; the second, under Rear-admiral Thompson, in the London 98, stationed off Brest, and the third, under Admiral Lord Bridport, in the Royal George 100, remained at Spithead, to be despatched wherever the intelligence received by government might lead.

15 Apr - 15 May 1797 Mutiny at Spithead.

19 Mar 1799 at Spithead.

7 Apr 1799 Portsmouth, departed on a cruize in the Channel, but put back on the 9th to St, Helen's, owing to strong contrary winds and departed on the 13th with a fine breeze from the eastward.

25 Apr 1799 cruising off Brest.

4 Jun 1799 arrived off Basque road, and on the 8th departed for England.

1 Jul 1799 arrived from Cawsand bay off Basque road.

13 Jun 1799 Plymouth, arrived from off Brest.

19 Jun 1799 remains in Cawsand Bay.

27 Jun 1799 Plymouth, this morning, pursuant to orders from town, Admiral Lord Bridport struck his flag on board the Royal George, and set off for Cricket Lodge in his way to town. Vice Admiral Pole, flag captain of the fleet, hoisted his flag as commander at present of the Channel Fleet. In the afternoon she departed with the Sulphur, Volcano, and Explosion, bomb ketches, with some artillery men on board, to bombard the Spanish fleet near the Isle of Aix.

14 Dec 1799 Portsmouth, arrived with the Venerable, Achilles, and Montague, from the Channel fleet.

Circa Feb 1800 Lord Bridport has provided for his active and faithful Boatswain, Mr. Little, in the Royal George, by getting him appointed to the sheer-hulk ; a comfortable reward for long meritorious services.

21 Feb 1800 Portsmouth, departed for Torbay, the Royal George, and Achilles.

24 Apr 1800 Previous to striking his flag on 24 Apr 1800 Lord Bridport promoted Commander West, Post, Commander Larmour, Post, and Lieutenant Digby and Benjamin Carter, of the Royal George, Commander.

29 Jul 1800 Portsmouth, arrived the Ville de Paris, 100, from the Ckannel fleet. Captain Bathurst, Second Captain to Lord St. Vincent, landed from her, and immediately went to town with dispatches from his Lordship. Previous to the Ville de Paris sailing, his Lordship shifted his flag to the Royal George.

16 Sep 1800 Plymouth, arrived from the Channel fleet off Brest to refit ; she left them all well on Saturday last.

27 Sep 1800 Plymouth, arrived from off Brest, and anchored in Cawsand Bay, owing to very heavy S. W. gales, the Temeraire, Namur, Prince, Barfleur, Neptune, Juste, Russel, Mars, Marlborough, Defence, Elephant, Excellent.

9 Oct 1800 Plymouth, departed for Portsmouth to take R.-Adm. Sir Hyde Parker on board, who then will join the Channel Fleet.

28 Oct 1800 Portsmouth, arrived from the Channel fleet.

13 Nov 1800 Portsmouth, to St. Helenís.

17 Nov 1800 St. Helenís, departed to join the Channel Fleet.

12 Mar 1801 the Ville de Paris, Adm. Cornwallis, arrived Torbay with the Royal George, San Josef, Prince George, Windsor Castle, Glory, Temeraire, Neptune, Atlas, Prince, and Captain from off Brest, where R.-Adm Saumarez remained with a strong squadron.

15 Mar 1801 departed Torbay with the fleet which arrived on Thursday evening, the 12th, along with the Unicorn, which arrived Friday evening.

17 Mar 1801 has just come to anchor in Torbay the fleet which departed on the 15th.

21 Mar 1801 the weather being reportedly blowing a heavy gale at W by N the fleet consisting of the same vessels as on 12 Mar., along with the Venerable, is taking shelter in Torbay.

26 Mar 1801 arrived Cawsand Bay from Torbay.

3 Apr 1801 departed Cawsand Bay to join the Channel Fleet ; she was paid yesterday.

Circa Jul 1801 _____ M'Donald, Esq late surgeon of the Montague, is appointed to the Royal George, 100.

2 Sep 1801 arrived Plymouth Sound from the Channel Fleet, off Brest, to go into the harbour to have a leak examined below the water line.

11 Sep 1801 went into Plymouth Harbour to refit.

19 Sep 1801 came into Plymouth harbour, was lightened alongside the Jetty Head, to search for a leak below the water line.

21 Oct 1801 Mr. Whitford, Coroner for Devon, took an inquest on the body of a Seaman, who fell from the main yard of the Royal George, into a loaded barge, fractured his skull, and died at the Royal Hospital, Plymouth. Verdict : accidental death.

22 Oct 1801 departed Plymouth to join the Channel fleet off Brest.

19 Nov 1801 remained in Torbay the Ville de Paris, Royal Sovereign, Prince of Wales, Neptune, Prince, Royal George, San Joseph, London, Magnificent, Bellerophon, Hercule, Donegal, Robust, Edgar, Belleisle, Courageux, Fisgard, Amelia, Indefatigable, Childers, Atlanta, Nimrod. The Nile cutter departing for Plymouth to be paid off.

28 Dec 1801 remained with the Channel Fleet in Torbay with the Ville de Paris.

6 Jan 1801 a signal was made for the Royal George, San Joseph, and Robust to prepare to weigh and proceed to Plymouth, however the weather came on very bad and prevented them departing. On the 7th they loosed their sails and attempted to sail, but a heavy and disagreeable sea coming in from the South East required that they desist i.e. to get out of Torbay would have meant attempting to sail to the South East, which might have caused damage to the ships, if they could have made any headway?

9 Jan 1802 the wind moderated last night and the Royal George, San Joseph, and Robust departed Torbay, arriving Plymouth Sound, later today to be paid wages and victualled, the wind blowing strongly from the east.

13 Jan 1802 the ship's company of the Royal George, 110, Captain Domett, were paid prize money due and six months wages and is reported to be departing Plymouth tomorrow for Torbay, weather permitting.

12 Apr 1802 came into Cawsand Bay from Torbay the Royal George, to be stripped and paid off.

14 Apr 1802 went up into Hamoaze to be paid off. One of the forecastle men of the Royal George sat on the King's head cheering the spectators all the way up Plymouth harbour. Lighters were sent alongside each ship to remove their powder, spirits and wines &c. to the various storehouses.

17 Apr 1802 Mr. Whitford took an inquest on the body of an Armourer's mate, who was killed at the capstan of the Royal George, 110 : the circumstances were as follows this man while the seamen were weighing the anchor, was tending the traveller at the capstan, to prevent rubbing, the men hove short, and the traveller so entangled the poor fellow, (before they could stop heaving, from the noise of the seamens' cheers at the joy of being paid off,) that his thighs were broken and bruised to a jelly ; he was sent to the Royal Hospital, Plymouth, but died soon after his arrival, verdict, Accidental Death.

23 Apr 1802 paid off in Hamoaze, and laid up in ordinary. The greater part of their crews shipped themselves for different ports, and many were away in the long coaches.

May 1805 Plymouth in Ordinary.

15 Jan-3 Mar 1807 With Sir John Duckworth on what some have described as his somewhat less than successful expedition to Constantinople. 15 Jan departed from off Cadiz with V.-adm Sir J. T. Duckworth for Gibraltar, arriving on the 17th, and sailing on the 18th, accompanied by the Windsor-Castle and Repulse, for Malta, arriving on the 30th. 4 Feb departed for the Archipelago, arriving off the off Tenedos on the 10th, where she joined the Canopus and her squadron. 11 Feb the squadron departed for Constantinople. 14th anchored off Cape Janizary, ships' boats used to attempt to rescue men from the burning Ajax. 19th steered for Constantinople. 2 Mar returned to the Mediterranean.

22 Mar 1807 vice-admiral Duckworth, with a part of his squadron, joined expedition against the Turks at Alexandria in Egypt, but would not appear to have remained long, the Royal-George having returned to England on 26 May.

Portsmouth 29 Apr 1811 arrived from Plymouth.

Portsmouth 25 May 1811 departed for Basque Roads.

Portsmouth 29 May 1811 Put back from Basque Roads owing to SW gales.

Portsmouth 30 May 1811 departed for Plymouth.

Plymouth Dock 2 Oct 1811 departed for Portsmouth.

Portsmouth 9 Oct 1811 Come up to Spithead.

Portsmouth 14 Oct 1811 Dropped down to St. Helen's.

Portsmouth 22 Oct 1811 At St. Helen's awaiting a fair wind, when she will sail for the Mediterranean.

Portsmouth 30 Oct 1811 Remains at St. Helen's.

Portsmouth 17 Nov 1811 departed for Cadiz.

18 Aug 1812 With the Fleet off Toulon.

5 Nov 1813 arrived off Cape Sicie and was involved in a skirmish with a French squadron off Toulon.

12 Feb 1814 a part of the fleet off Toulon which chased a French squadron into that port.

Plymouth 2 Jul 1814 arrived in Cawsand Bay from the Mediterranean and put under quarantine.

Plymouth 6 Jul 1814 Went up harbour to be paid off.