HMS Spencer

Naval Database

| Previous Page | Next Page | Index

Spencer, 1800
Type: 3rd rate ; Armament 74
Launched from Mr. Adam's Dock, at Buckler's Hard 10 May 1800 ;
Disposal date or year : 1822

19 May 1800 arrived Spithead.

Circa Jun 1800 Captain Darby is appointed to the Spencer.

Circa Jun 1800 Mr. G. Bellamy, Surgeon of the Spencer, married Miss Cremer, Plymouth.

6 Sep 1800 departed Spithead the Spencer, to join the Channel fleet.

5 Feb 1801 departed Torbay to join the Channel Fleet, wind W.S.W.

11 Feb 1801 the squadron described below parted company with the Channel Fleet, and stood to the S.W., with a fresh wind from the Eastward, with a view to tracking down Contre-amiral Ganteaume's squadron, which due, apparently to intelligence errors at the Admiralty, sent R.-Adm. Calder to the West Indies, which turned out to be a wild goose chase, Ganteaume being in the Mediterranean. The Squadron consisted of : the Prince of Wales, 98, R.-Adm. Sir R. Calder ; Pompée, 80 ; Juste, Spencer, Courageux, Montague, Cumberland, 74s ; Thames, and Magicienne, frigates ; Telegraph, brig.

13 Feb 1801 made Cape Ortegal ; captured and destroyed a Spanish brig, laden with wine.

15 Feb 1801 experienced an exceedingly violent storm, in which the Montague lost her main mast, and the Magicienne, and Telegraph, were separated from the squadron. The Montague rigged jury masts and made her way to the Tagus.

16 Feb 1801 before the Port of Ferrol.

18 Feb 1801 the remainder of the squadron assemble under Cape Finisterre, and proceed to the Southward.

19 Feb 1801 the Prince of Wales was reported to be off Lisbon with La Juste, Pompee, Courageux, Cumberland and Spencer, ships of the line, along with the frigates Diamond and Thames by the packet arriving from Falmouth.

19 Feb 1801 brought to off Lisbon ; saw the Montague at anchor there, under jury masts.

21 Feb 1801 proceeded to the Southward ; and the squadron was joined by the frigate Diamond.

22 Feb 1801 made Cape St Vincent ; no intelligence.

23 Feb 1801 stood to the S.W.

25 Feb 1801 detached the Thames towards Madeira.

26 Feb 1801 fell in with the outward-bound West India fleet, under convoy of the Topaze, frigate, and a sloop of war.

26 Feb 1801 the Prince of Wales, Adm. Sir R. Calder, with the Pompée, 80 ; La Juste, Courageux, Cumberland and Spencer, 74 ; and the frigates Diamond and Thames, 38, reported to be at Madeira, and did not anchor, but departed the following day for the Canaries, en route for Martinique.

27 Feb 1801 the squadron and convoy arrive at Madeira. The convoy anchor. Received here a few bullocks and some wine for the use of the squadron. Also, received some vague information of the enemy's squadron being at Teneriffe.

28 Feb 1801 set all sail towards Teneriffe.

1 Mar 1801 saw Teneriffe ; prepared the ships for battle and anchorage.

2 Mar 1801 the squadron plying to windward towards the Bay of Teneriffe, where a few small vessels only were found under the batteries.

3 Mar 1801 stood over to the Grand Canary.

4 Mar 1801 captured a Spanish brig laden with wheat.

5 Mar 1801 detached the Diamond to the Eastward, and prize with her.

6 Mar 1801 bore up to the West Indies.

19 Mar 1801 detached the Thames towards Barbadoes.

25 Mar 1801 brought to off Bridgetown, Barbadoes, without seeing one strange sail the whole outward passage. Called out the Thames per signal, and proceeded with the Squadron to the Northward.

26 Mar 1801 arrived and anchored in Cassa Navire Bay, Martinico.

29 Mar 1801 completed the squadron with provisions, wood and water. Weighed.

30 Mar 1801 before Dominique.

31 Mar 1801 before Montserrat.

1 Apr 1801 brought to before the Swedish Island of St Bartholomew. Saw the British flag flying on the garrison. The same at St Martin's.

2 Apr 1801 saluted R,-Adm. Duckworth, before the Danish town of Christianstadt, Santa Cruz, which with the Island of St Thomas, had been taken possession of a few days before, by a detachment of troops brought from Martinique in his squadron. Same evening departed company with R.-Adm. Duckworth's squadron, and bore up to the Westward.

3 Apr 1801 steering down the coast of Porto Rico.

4 Apr 1801 becalmed ; anchored in the White Grounds off Cape Roxa.

6 Apr 1801 plying through the Mona passage, fell in with the Thetis, and Bordelais ; supplied the latter with some provisions ; captured and destroyed a Spanish schooner. Finding the current setting strongly against the squadron bore up to the S.W.

7 Apr 1801 before the City of Hispaniola.

10 Apr 1801 before Jaquemel.

13 Apr 1801 arrived and anchored in Port Royal, Jamaica. Found here the squadron of V.-Adm. Hugh Seymour, consisting of 5 sail of the line and frigates. In entering Port Royal, the Spencer ran on one of the Knowles, but was hove off the same evening without damage. Found here also the Topaze.

18 Apr 1801 arrived the Magicienne (which parted in the storm off Cape Ortegal), with a prize corvette of 16 guns, which by mistake had attacked the Magicienne in the night. In this encounter the frigate lost 2 men, but the loss on the corvette was considerable. On entering the harbour the Magicienne ran aground and injured her copper.

19 Apr 1801 completed the squadron with provisions, &c. Supplied the squadron of Lord Seymour with several cables, boats, water casks, and volunteer marines. Also attached to his squadron the Cumberland and Magicienne ; the Thunderer being annexed to the squadron of Sir R. Calder, in want of repair. Prepared to sail, but the wind being unfavourable the squadron had one day's respite, being the first since they left England. Received here four days of fresh beef and some vegetables. Sailed the packet for England, with the Retribution frigate, formerly Hermione, to convey her through the Windward Passage. Also sailed four homeward bound merchant ships under convoy of the armed merchant ship Thetis.

21 Apr 1801 weighed and sailed, the Topaze in company with the squadron.

22 Apr 1801 off the east end of Jamaica, plying to windward.

23 Apr 1801 off the west end of St Domingo. Passed by 2 American frigates.

24 Apr 1801 came up with the packet and homeward bound ships, which sailed on the 19th.

25 Apr 1801 parted from them off Cape Nichola Mole. Parted company the Topaze.

27 Apr 1801 off Monte Christo.

28 Apr 1801 off Cape Sumana.

29 Apr 1801 made Porto Rico.

29 May 1801 arrived Spithead with dispatches from Rear-Admiral Sir Robert Calder, whom he left in the Prince of Wales, with the Pompee, Juste, Courageux, Spencer and Thunderer, to the north-ward of St. Domingo, on their passage home. The Cumberland, one of Sir Robert's squadron, was left in the West Indies, instead of the Thunderer, being so leaky, as to require her being sent home.

Circa 31 May 1801 - 1 Jun 1801 spoke with the Formidable in the Channel, which gave orders from the Admiralty to Sir Robert to join the Channel Fleet, which he has done with the remainder of his squadron [although judging by the next item looks as though she separated in the fog].

2 Jun 1801 arrived Cawsand Bay from the West Indies, after a fine passage of five weeks. She parted in a fog with the Prince of Wales, of 84 guns, Rear-Adm. Sir R. Calder, and the rest of the men of war in a thick fog in the chops of the Channel, most of whom had been instructed to join the Channel Fleet.

10 Jun 1801 the men of war in Cawsand Bay have been this fine weather paying their yards, bends, tops, &c. and now setting up their rigging. Remain in Cawsand Bay the Princess Royal, Caesar, Namur, Spencer, Juste, Pompee.

15 Jun 1801 departed Cawsand Bay this evening at six o'clock, the squadron under Rear Admiral Sir James Saumarez, Bart, with the Caesar, Pompée, Spencer, Hannibal, Audacious, Thames, Paisley, of 16, and Plymouth lugger. They are victualled and stored for five months. Their orders are not to be opened till the squadron arrives in a certain latitude. Previous to the sailing of the above squadron twenty tons of vegetables and 2000 weight of fresh beef were conveyed on board by the gun-boats.

5 Jul 1801 departed from off Cadiz for Algeziras roads where, on the 6th, the squadron engaged a small French squadron protected shore batteries, during which severe action the Hannibal went aground and was lost to the Spanish and French : details of casualties sustained in the action.

12 Jul 1801 departed Gibraltar to chase a Franco-Spanish squadron observed sailing from Algeziras. 12th-13th the engagement commenced resulting in the destruction of 2 first rates, and the capture of a 3rd rate.

16 Aug 1801 letters, as dated, from off Cadiz, received at Plymouth from an officer of the Thames, state that Rear Admiral Sir J. Saumarez, Bart, with seven sail of the line, two frigates, and a sloop of war, having refitted at Gibraltar, departed the 9th to block up Cadiz, and on the 10th ult. was joined by Commodore Tyler with 4 sail of the Baltic Fleet from Cork ; his fleet now consists of the following ships : Caesar, Warrior, Pompee, Spencer, Venerable, Superbe, Bellona, Defence, Russell, Audacious, Caroline, 44, Thames, 32, and Peterell, 18, all well equipped and in high spirits.

2 Sep 1801 Adm Pole in the St George, Dreadnought, Ramilies, Vanguard, Powerful and Zealous, arrived off Cadiz on 31 Aug., and on 2 Sep., in company with Sir James Saumarez's squadron, consisting of the Defence, Warrior, Spencer, Superb, Audacious, ships of the line ; and Caroline, Thames, frigates ; and sloop Peterell, began cruising before Cadiz. The Bellona was reported to be at Gibraltar fishing her main-mast.

20 Jan 1802 letters received Plymouth from the Caesar, 84, Rear-Admiral Sir James Saumarez, K. B. dated the 29th ult. state, that the following men of war were victualled and stored for five months, and had sailed for Jamaica, viz. St George, 98, Captain Thompson (acting) ; Vanguard, 74, Capt. ; Spencer, 74, Capt. Darby ; Powerful, 74, Capt. Sir F. Laforey ; Warrior,74 Capt Tyler.

6 Apr 1802 letters received at Plymouth from the Spencer, 74, dated Jamaica, the 18 Feb last, mention the very healthy state of the men of war from England and Gibraltar, lately arrived there.

4 Sep 1802 anchored in Cawsand Bay, from Jamaica, the Spencer, 74, Commodore Darby, with his broad pendant flying at the main ; the Circe, 28, Captain Woolley, having left Vice-Admiral Sir T. Duckworth, Bart. Captain Dunn, in the Leviathan, 74, and it was supposed he would not leave that station till the Spring.

5 Sep 1802 at twelve, A.M. the Spencer, 74, Commodore Darby, made a signal to go up the harbour from Cawsand Bay ; she soon got under weigh with the Commodore's broad pendant at the main-top, however as she came abreast Mount Edgcumbe, the wind fell scant and foul at W.S.W. and she had to anchor in Barn Pool, to wait the flowing tide to go up the harbour.

18 Sep 1802 the following ships were paid off at Plymouth and laid up in ordinary in the course of last week Sans Pareil, 84, Spencer, 74, Nereide, 36, Arab, 20, and Plover, 16.

20 Oct 1802 the Spencer, 74, is to be got ready for commission.

24 Oct 1802 the Temeraire, 98, and Spencer, 74, are ordered to be fitted for ordinary service at Plymouth ; moorings are laying down for them in the river Tamar.

11 Jun 1803 fitting for sea in Hamoaze.

16 Jun 1803 R.-Adm Dacres is flying his flag at the mizen of the Spencer.

16 Aug 1803 has gone into Cawsand Bay, with a view to joining the Channel Fleet shortly.

17 or 21 Aug 1803 departed Cawsand Bay for the Channel Fleet, with the Defiance, having loaded both vessels with fresh vegetables and live cattle.

25 Aug 1803 the Spencer has transferred R.-Adm Dacres flag to the Foudroyant.

18 Oct 1803 arrived Cawsand Bay from the Channel Fleet, the Spencer, Hon Capt Stopford.

30 Oct 1803 departed Cawsand Bay for the Channel Fleet with 20 live oxen and vegetables for the fleet.

Circa Aug 1804 had joined the British fleet off Toulon.

Circa 23 Jun 1804 the Terrible, Spencer and San Joseph, are reported at Portsmouth, to have arrived Plymouth from off the French Coast, the Spencer having been on shore off the Ferrol, and 5 of her men are being Court Martialled for mutiny.

15 Oct 1804 the Spencer, off Toulon, reports that she, and several other vessels, were near to cutting off 2 ships of the line and a frigate, which had chased some our frigates off the land ; also the arrival of the Tigre and Conqueror with transports with provisions from Plymouth and the Hydra from Portsmouth.

19 Jan 1805 whilst watering at Agincourt sound the Mediterranean fleet was informed that the Toulon fleet was at sea, and departed in search. It was discovered on 14 Feb that the French fleet had returned to Toulon.

28 Mar 1805 victualled at Palma and on the 3 Apr departed to water at Pulla bay, but on the 4th the Phoebe reported that the Toulon fleet was at sea again : the search began again. 4 May, having heard that the Toulon fleet had passed through the Straits on 8 Apl, the fleet anchored at Mazari bay to water and provision, but following a change in the wind the fleet departed on 5 May, the Superb leaving her cargo of cattle and vegetables etc. on the beach. Having provisioned for 5 months on the 10th rendez-voused on 12th at Cape St.-Vincent with a convoy of troops from England and detached the Royal-Sovereign to the convoy, following which Nelson departed for Madeira and the West Indies.

15 May 1805 arrived Madeira : and Barbadoes 4 Jun with news that the French fleet was in the West Indies : 13th arrived Antigua and departed for Europe.

17 Jul 1805 arrived off Cape St.-Vincent and departed for Gibraltar, and having watered etc. proceeded west and north. 15 Aug received news from Adm. Cornwallis off Ushant, before Victory and Superb departed for Spithead, arriving on the 18th, leaving the Spencer as a reinforcement to the Channel fleet.

2 Oct 1805 detached from off Cadiz to Gibraltar for provisions and water.

30 Oct 1805 Canopus, Queen, Spencer, Tigre arrive from Gibraltar and having escorted a convoy up the Mediterranean.

Circa 23 Dec 1805 the squadron under V.-adm Duckworth, having lifted the blockade of Cadiz, was between Madeira / Canary isles, where it was reported a French Squadron had molested one and chased another convoy. The French squadron was sighted on 25 Dec and chased, but after 30 hours was discontinued and the squadron departed for the West Indies.

12 Jan 1806 arrived Barbadoes. 14th departed for St. Christopher to water. 21 Jan joined by the Northumberland and Atlas. 1 Feb Kingfisher joined with intelligence that a French squadron had been seen steering for Santo-Domingo. 3rd was joined by the Epervier off Saint-Thomas. 5th Magicienne joined confirming the intelligence. 6 Feb a French Squadron was sighted leaving Santo-Domingo. the action of Santo-Domingo Roads commenced ; 2 French ships (Impérial and Diomède) run ashore and 3 (Alexandre, Jupiter, Brave) taken ; the wash-up ; the casualties ; more wash-up.

26 Jul 1807 departed as a part of a fleet of 38 vessels for Copenhagen and was present from 15 Aug - 20 Oct 1807 for the siege and bombardment of Copenhagen and capture of Danish Fleet by Adm. Gambier.

Portsmouth 4 Apr 1814 departed from St. Helens with a convoy of transports for Canada.

28 May 1814 arrived Halifax from England with the Rifleman, and the Quebec convoy.

Circa 11 Jun 1814 departed Halifax.

Circa 9 Jul 1814 Ramillies arrived Shelburne, N.B., with the Spencer, Terror, bomb, and 2 transports with the 102nd Regt.

10 Oct 1814, arrived Halifax, from Boston Bay.

10 Dec 1814, arrived Halifax, the brig Superb, prize to the Spencer.

10 Dec 1814, the schooner Mary from Philadelphia, for Havana, prize to the Telegraph and Spencer is arrived Bermuda.

10 Mar 1815, arrived Halifax, the brig Legal Tender, captured about 50 days since by the US privateer David Porter, re-captured 7th inst., by the Spencer.

3 May 1815, arrived Halifax, with the Rifleman, from Castine with Maj. Gen. Gosselin and suit, Lt. Cols. Blommart, Ximones, and Hodge.

10 May 1815, departed Halifax, with the Brune, and several transports with the 29th and 98th regts. for England.

Portsmouth 30 May 1815 arrived from Halifax.

Plymouth 7 Aug 1818 arrived from a 2 month cruise and exercises in the Channel.

27 Nov 1821 Is in commission and based on Plymouth.

7 Feb 1822 the Spencer having been found to be very defective is to be replaced by the Vigo, now being fitted out accordingly.

24 Mar 1822 the Phaeton departs Spithead for Plymouth, to pick up the officers and men of the Spencer, and take them to Chatham, to commission the Bulwark for service as guard ship at Plymouth, the Spencer having been condemned to be broken up.