HMS Tyne

Naval Database

| Previous Page | Next Page | Index

Tyne, 1826
Type: Store Ship ; late 6th rate ; Armament 28
Launched : 30 Nov 1826 ; Disposal date or year : 1862
BM: 600 tons

26 May 1827 is to join the experimental squadron at Spithead.

12 Jun 1827 returned to Spithead from a short cruise, having tried her new guns.

16 Jun 1827 remains at Spithead.

4 Jun 1827 reports received at Lisbon state that the Experimental squadron has been performing trials to test the sailing qualities of the various ships of the squadron.

25 Sep 1827 departed with Experimental Squadron for off Scilly, against a strong head wind. That evening, whilst performing manoeuvres with the Squadron, was in collision with the Swedish timber ship Neptunus, which obliged her to put back to Portsmouth for repairs.

14 June 1828 preparing at St. John's, Newfoundland to sail on the 20th for Labrador.

19 Oct 1829 departed Halifax for Bermuda for the winter months.

30 Oct 1829 refitting at Bermuda.

circa 12 Nov 1829 rendered assistance at Bermuda, to the William transport which had got ashore and bilged.

7 May 1830 departed Bermuda for Portsmouth.

27 May 1830 arrived Portsmouth from Halifax, last at Bermuda.

29 May 1830 Came into Portsmouth harbour from Spithead, preparatory to being paid off.

21 Oct 1830 commissioned at Portsmouth for service on the South America station.

15 Jan 1831 prepared to depart Portsmouth for South America. Mr. Fox, recently appointed Minister Plenipotentiary from this country to Buenos Ayres, and Mr. Gore, Secretary of Legation, go out in her as passengers.

22 Jan 1831 at Spithead.

3 Feb 1831 departed Portsmouth for Havre, to take on board Mr. Fox, Chargé d'Affaires, and thence to South America.

12 Feb 1831 reported to be at Havre, en route for Buenos Ayres.

10 Jul 1831 arrived Rio Janeiro from Bahia.

9 Aug 1831 arrived at Bahia from Rio de Janeiro.

3 Sep 1831 departed from Bahia for Rio.

22 Sep 1831 departed Rio Janeiro for Bahia.

13 Oct 1831 arrived at Pernambuco, from Bahia.

19 Nov 1831 at Pernambuco.

18 Mar 1832 departed Pernambuco for Rio.

22 Mar 1832 arrived at Bahia from Pernambuco.

24 Mar 1832 departed Bahia for Rio.

17 Jun 1832 arrived Portsmouth from Pernambuco, having been on shore off that port, whilst assisting a British vessel, which was eventually lost, and in the process is thought to have damaged her keel and her commanding officer deemed it prudent to bring the vessel home to England to be docked.

18 Jun 1832 arrived Portsmouth from South America.

21 Jun 1832 departed Deal for Chatham.

21 Jul 1832 departed Chatham ? for Portsmouth to embark 100 marine artillery, and then to proceed to join the Donegal and squadron which departed Plymouth on Wednesday for Cork, with 300 marines.

24 Jul 1832 arrived at Spithead from the Eastward and embarked 90 men of the RMA, following which she departed to join Adm. Sir P Malcolm and his squadron who arrived at Cork 21 Jul.

30 Jul 1832 departed Cork with the Donegal to join the squadron for a cruise along the coast.

6 Aug 1832 returned to Cork with the Donegal, Nimrod, Orestes, Trinculo and Onyx, after a cruise to the Westward.

16 Aug 1832 in the Cove of Cork, refitting after sailing trials.

18 Aug 1832 it is reported at Portsmouth that the men of the RMA embarked on board the Tyne have now been transferred to the troop ship Romney at Cork.

25-29 Aug 1832 V.-Adm. Sir P. Malcolm's squadron, including the Donegal(flag), Castor, Tyne, Trinculo, Nimrod, and the revenue cruiser Prince of Wales, along with the Vernon, Dryad, Snake and Dee assembled at Torbay for sailing trials, and were joined by the Stag on Thursday, just arrived from off Oporto. The Board of Admiralty arrived on the 27th from Portsmouth, in the Lightning, and observed some of the relative sailing qualities of the vessels taking part in the trials, before departing for Plymouth. Per some of the commentators details of the trials would appear to be too fragmented to make much sense, and it might be that someone was attempting to obfuscate the results as they didn't provide the results that some people wanted to see........

30 Aug 1832 arrived Plymouth from Torbay.

22 Sep 1832 being refitted at Plymouth in preparation for service on the S. America station.

27 Sep 1832 departed Plymouth for Falmouth, where she arrived on the same day, en route for the Canaries and South America.

30 Sep 1832 departed Falmouth for Teneriffe and South America having embarked the British Consuls and their suites for the Canaries, Chili and Peru.

13 Jan 1833 Had departed Rio de Janeiro to take possession of the Falkland Islands.

16 Apr 1833 reported to be back at Rio de Janeiro on the departure of the Challenger for England.

23 Sep 1833 reported at Rio Janeiro to be in the Pacific.

25 Jan 1834 Paid off at Portsmouth into ordinary.

13 Feb 1834 Taken into dock at Portsmouth.

10 May 1834 is being fitted at Portsmouth for service on the Mediterranean station.

16 May 1834 went out to Spithead in preparation for her passage to Malta.

17 May 1834 at Spithead.

22 Jul 1834 arrived Vourla from Mytelene, and has since departed to Scalanova and Nauplia.

2 Oct 1834 Has arrived Malta from Smyrna, and it Is to reported she will relieve the Volage at Corfu.

2 Jan 1835 refitting at Malta for service in the Ionian Islands.

31 Jan 1835 is reported to be at Corfu.

1 Jul 1835 returning to Corfu from Gibraltar.

13 May 1836 is reported at Gibraltar to have departed for Minorca.

10 Jun 1836 is reported to have departed Gibraltar for Mahon to have the ship smoked, the ship being full of rats.

15 Oct 1836 arrived Gibraltar from Malaga.

8 Apr 1837 arrived Spithead from Malta.

18 Oct 1837->23 Nov 1841 Hecla's itinerary with many thanks to Steven Hewitt.

24 Jun 1839 Malta arrived some days previously, but not admitted to pratique until the 24th.

2 Jul 1839 Malta the Princess Charlotte, Rodney, Bellerophon, Pembroke, Tyne and Rhadamanthus departed and joined the Minden, Talavera, Asia, Castor, and Zebra in the offing and departed for the east, but destination unknown.

Sep 1839 at Besika Bay.

13 Oct 1839 it is reported that a malignant fever had appeared among the crews of both fleets at Besika Bay, but with most intensity on board the French vessels.

4 Nov 1839 is reported to have departed Besika Bay 23 Oct for a winter anchorage at Vourla.

6 Jan 1840 Malta was at Smyrna where some of her crew lately got into a quarrel with French seamen.

8 Mar 1840 at Vourla.

10 Apr 1840 Malta, will sail for Naples as soon as the Prometheus arrives from Marseilles with the London overland mail.

25 June 1840 Malta, departed for Corfu, to relieve the Talbot.

10 Aug 1840 returned to Corfu from Zante.

28 Aug 1840 at Corfu,

15 Oct 1840 at Corfu.

24 Jan 1841 the commanding officer is requested to become involved in the case of the arrest of the Greek brig Miltiade, and her Captain, said to have been trading in slaves, but since the Ionian authorities were reputed to be dealing with the situation the commanding officer didn't feel that he should interfer. The affair appears to have been taken up in a most thorough manner by Dr. William L. Reynolds who describes himself as being in charge of Sanita, who ensures that the matter is brought, through local representatives, Sir Edmund Lyons at Athens, to the attention of the British Foreign Officer and Lord Palmerston. The matter would appear to have taken on diplomatic legs since evidence suggests that Captain Annibal Cunéo d'Ornani of a French brig-of-war, stationed at Tunis, was said to have been a witness to the agreement for the slaves to be put on board the Miltiade, bound hand and foot. Sir Edmund Lyons at Athens suggests that the Greek Government doesn't appear to have any legislation in place to deal with people involved in Slave Trading or, for that matter, any other measures in place, with the Greek Vice-Consul, F. Pezzoli implying that the slaves were free men once they were brought on board the Miltiade, when witnesses amongst the passengers were happy to confirm that they remained confined to the hold, except when a call a nature required to visit to the upper deck.

12 Feb 1841 at Corfu, and is due to be relieved by the Talbot, now awaiting her relief at Constantinople.

8 Mar 1841 Corfu, departed for Athens.

10 Apr 1841 Lieutenant Lindsay P. Burrell, appointed to the Tyne, vice Johnson;

7 Jul 1841 at Candia, and the following day, with the commanding officers of the Benbow and Dido, went on board one of the French frigates present for a conference with the view to putting an end to the bloodshed and butchery being caused by the Turkish troops, their commander, Tahir Pacha, having abdicated any responsibility for their actions, saying that he had no power to control their excesses ! Looks as though it is back to the 1820s again and the excesses of Turkish troops against the Greeks, which was only ended, at least to some degree, by the battle of Navarin.

16 Jul 1841 remains at Candia.

30 Jul 1841 arrived Athens from Candia with the Hazard, with the President of the Provisional Government of the insurgents, and 200 followers.

5 Aug 1841 reported to be in the Roads at Suda, Candia.

22 Sep 1841 arrived Malta from Suda.

5 Oct 1841 at Malta.

15 Oct 1841 departed Malta, in the evening, for England.

12 Nov 1841 arrived at Spithead, from the Mediterranean, having experienced boistrous weather crossing the Bay of Biscay.

15 Nov 1841 came into harbour at Portsmouth to prepare to be paid off.

20 Nov 1841 Lieutenant L. P. Burrell, from the Tyne, appointed to the Daphne.

25 Nov 1841 was paid off at Portsmouth. James Dix, Chief Boatswain's Mate, was awarded the LS & GC Medal, and a pension of £27 per annum.

18 Dec 1841 Portsmouth, being brought forward for service, and is ordered to be taken into dock when the Carysfort is taken out.

28 Dec 1841 was taken into Dock at Portsmouth.

1846 in the Levant.

Jan 1848 Devonport, in Ordinary (reserve).

1848 Storeship.

20 Dec 1848 Devonport.

10 Feb 1851 departed Rio de Janeiro.

2 Mar 1851 departed Fernando Norhona.

I Apr 1851 arrived at Spithead from South America. See below for RoP.

20 Apr 1851 At Deptford.

18 May 1851 Devonport. Having filled with stores, departed on Friday for Rio de Janeiro.

30 Aug 1851 Particular Service.

1854 Baltic.

28 Mar 1856 departed today for the south coast of America with stores.
1857 In Ordinary.

Daily News 3 Apr 1851

Portsmouth, April 1.-The Tyne, 22, store ship, Master Commander Peter Wellington, arrived at Spithead this morning from South America. She left Rio Janeiro on the 10th of February, and Fernando Norhona on the 2nd of March.

The Commander-in-Chief Rear Admiral Reynolds in the Southampton, 60 ; the Thetis, 38 ; Tweed, 18 ; and the following steamers: Geyser, Conflict, Rifleman, Harpy, and Spider were at Rio, to which they had recently returned from a cruise.

The Cormorant was at Buenos Ayres and the Rifleman had gone on a cruise.

The Tyne experienced light winds in the South Atlantic, but strong gales from the N.W. in the North Atlantic, by which in 4 days she ran a distance of 1,166 miles. At Rio her ship's company unfortunately caught the fever, of which her second master, C. G. Compton, and a seaman, died. She brings home seamen who have served their time, condemned stores from the squadron, and Mr. G. J. Eden, mate, from the Thetis. She has also a small freight, and a few cases of diamonds, valued at £21,000 ; the former of which has been sent to the Bank of England. On the 29th of March, the Tyne spoke the Vanelouse, 31 days from New York to Liverpool, in lat. 47.36, Ion. 14.20, with loss of rudder-head and maintop-gallantmast ; on the 30th, in lat. 48.45, Ion, 8.14, the brig Eliza and Emma, of Hamburg, 68 days from Rio ; and yesterday, off the Start, the Cumberland, 72, flag of Vice-Admiral Sir G. Seymour, and the merchant ship Ganges, of Kirkaldy, bound to China.-