1805 - Lieutenant Garrety off Granville, Surrender of Plumper


Next Page

Previous Page
Naval History of Great Britain - Vol III
1805 British and French Fleets - Channel 308

wounded by the same shot. The French admit a loss of three men killed and 12 wounded, including among the latter the commander of one of the gun-brigs.

On the 15th of July the British gun-brigs Plumper, Lieutenant James Henry Garrety, and Teazer, Lieutenant George Lewis Ker, while cruising off the port of Granville, on the coast of France, found themselves becalmed, and likely to be carried into danger by the strength of the tide. They therefore anchored near the island of Chausey, but, owing to the exigency of the moment, at too great a distance apart to benefit by any mutual support, in the event of being attacked before a breeze sprang up. The critical situation of these brigs being plainly seen from Granville, which was not four leagues distant, Capitaine de vaisseau Louis-Léon Jacob, commanding the several divisions of the flotilla that were assembled between Saint-Malo and Cherbourg, resolved to send some gun-vessels to attempt the capture of the British vessels.

Accordingly, on that same evening, as soon as it grew dark seven of the largest class of French gun-vessels, armed each with three long 24-pounders, and an 8-inch howitzer, and amply supplied with men and musketry, swept out of the port, under the command of Capitaine de frégate Joseph Collet. On the 16th, at 2 h. 30 m., they arrived within long range of the near brig, the Plumper, and opened a fire upon her from their heavy long guns ; taking such a safe position, as they advanced, that the brig's 18-pounder carronades could only at intervals brought to bear upon them. In the course of half an hour Lieutenant Garrety, who, from the first, had conducted himself in the bravest manner, had his arm shot away ; but he continued for some time, to animate his men in repulsing the enemy. At length, at the end of an hour's cannonade, from which she had greatly suffered in hull and crew, the Plumper surrendered.

Having shifted their prisoners and manned the prize, French rested at an anchor, until the tide turned again in their favour at 6 a.m.; when, accompanied by the Plumper, they weighed, and stood for her late consort. At 8 h. 45 m. a.m. seven French gun-vessels and their prize commenced firing at the Teazer; who, at 9 a.m., cut her cable, and, setting all sails tried to escape. But, the calm continuing, the brig made little or no progress ; and her opponents soon surrounded and captured her. The British loss on this occasion has been noticed but in the French accounts. By these it appears that the two brigs had, including Lieutenant Garrety, 17 men badly wounded, the greater part on board the Plumper; but, with respect to the killed, which probably amounted to four or five, no intelligence was obtained. The loss on board the French gun-vessels appears to have amounted to five men wounded, including Captain Collet; who, on the afternoon of the day on which he had captured them; entered Granville with his two prizes.

^ back to top ^