1808 - Sir Samuel Hood and Admiral Hanickoff


Next Page

Previous Page

10 Pages >>>

10 Pages <<<

1808 Anglo-Swedish and Russian Fleets 14

Udd. At about noon, as had been previously arranged, the Swedish 70-gun ship Frederic-Adolph, with a great proportion of the sick on board, parted company from the fleet, and steered for Carlscrona. This left with the Swedish admiral the:

78 Gustav-IV Adolph Rear-ad. Nauckhoff.
Captain Lagerstrale.
Captain Krusenstjerna.
76 Uladislaffe Captain Grubb.
74 Adolph-Fredric Commodore Jagerfelt.
Captain Count Wrangel.
Aran Captain Jagerschold
Dristigheten Captain Toruqu1st.
Faderneslandet Captain Blessing.
Gustav III. Captain Petterson.
Manligheten Captain Nordenankar.
66 Forsigtigheten Captain Baron Cederstrom.
Tapperheten Captain Ficerstroud.

Frigates, Euridice 46, Chapman 44, Camilla and Bellona 42, and Janamas 34, and cutter-brig Dolphin.

The Anglo-Swedish fleet now consisted of 12 sail of the line and five frigates, mounting 1156 guns; while the Russian fleet, of nine sail of the line, three 50s, and eight frigates and corvettes (not reckoning the two brigs), mounted 1118 guns. Here was no great disparity, especially considering the ineffective state of the Swedish ships ; but the Russian admiral not knowing this, or considering the two ships with British ensigns flying, and who soon became the most conspicuous objects, as a host in themselves, made all sail to get away. A windward chase was not the thing for wooden-bottomed ships ; nor, where so much nicety was required in trimming sails, for weak and inexperienced crews. Hence the Centaur and Implacable, by 8 p.m. were five miles to windward of the Swedes, notwithstanding the latter carried every stitch of canvass that their ships would bear.

The night's chase increased that distance to nearly 10 miles ; and at 4 a.m. on the 26th the Implacable had advanced two miles to windward of the Centaur. This brought the former ship within four or five miles of the Russian fleet, then bearing from east-north-east to south-south-east, evidently much scattered, and still crowding sail to escape. At 4 h. 30 m. a.m. the Implacable, then on the larboard tack, observed a Russian two-decker considerably to leeward of her fleet. At 5 h. 30 m. a.m. the latter, which was the 74-gun ship Sewolod, Captain Rudnew, or Roodneff, being on the starboard tack, passed the bow of the Implacable, who immediately tacked after her. At 6 h. 30 m. a.m. the Sewolod tacked. In about a quarter of an hour the; two ships again crossed each other ; when the Russian 74 opened her fire, which was quickly returned by the Implacable. The latter again tacked ; and at 7 h. 20 m. a.m., having overtaken the Sewolod and closed her within pistol-shot to leeward, the

^ back to top ^