1813 - Blazer and Brevdrageren in the Elbe


Next Page

Previous Page

10 Pages >>

10 Pages <<
1813 Captain A. Farquhar, at Heligoland 157

casualty, the Danish gun-boat Jonge-Troutman, commanded by Lieutenant Lutkin of the Danish navy, and mounting two long 18-pounders and three 12-pounder carronades, with a crew of 26 men ; of whom two were wounded.

Mr. Dunbar arriving up, the prisoners were secured under the hatches, the cable cut, and sail made after the other galliot, the commander of which, on seeing the fate of his commodore, had cut and steered for Brunsbuttel, about four miles distant. The prize-galliot soon gained upon her late consort ; and, the wind being light, the Blazer's cutter was despatched to cut off the fugitive from her port. This Mr. Dunbar gallantly accomplished and with his 11 men captured, without opposition, the Danish gun-boat Liebe, of the same force as the Jonge-Troutman, and commanded by Lieutenant Writt, also of the Danish navy. This it must be owned, was altogether a very gallant exploit, and Lieutenant Devon well merited the praises that were bestowed upon him for his conduct on the occasion.

Early in the month of October Captain Arthur Farquhar, of the 18-pounder 36-gun frigate Desirée, arrived at Heligoland, and assumed the command of the British naval force on that station. By this time the French had regained possession of Cuxhaven. After performing several important services up the Weser and Ems, Captain Farquhar, on the 30th of November, with a small squadron of gun-brigs and gun-boats, successfully co-operated with a Russian force in an attack upon the heavy batteries that defended Cuxhaven. Crossing the Elbe, Captain Farquhar afterwards ascended to Gluckstadt, and co-operated with a detachment of the Crown Prince of Sweden's army in reducing that important fortress. On the 5th of January, 1814, after an investment of 16, and a bombardment of six days, Gluckstadt surrendered by capitulation.

The British squadron which, besides the Desirée, was employed on the occasion, appears to have been, the 10-gun schooner-sloop Shamrock, Captain John Marshall, brig-sloop (late gun-brig) Hearty, Captain James Rose, gun-brigs Blazer, Lieutenant Francis Banks, and Redbreast, Lieutenant Sir George Morat Keith, and gun-boats, No. 1, Lieutenant David Hanmer, No. 2, master's mate Thomas Riches, No. 3, Lieutenant Charles Henry Seale, No. 4, Lieutenant Andrew Tullock, No. 5, midshipmen John Hallowes, No. 8, Lieutenant Richard Roper, No. 10, Lieutenant Francis Darby Romney, and No. 12, Lieutenant John Henderson. Captain Farquhar, in his despatch, speaks also in high terms of Captain Andrew Green, who commanded a party of seamen and marines on shore, and of his assistants, Lieutenants Charles Haultain and John Archer and midshipman George Richardson; likewise of Lieutenant Joshua Kneeshaw. The loss sustained by the flotilla amounted to three men killed, and 16 wounded, including Captain Rose, midshipman Richard Hunt and captain's clerk John Riches.

^ back to top ^