1813 - Capture of Rovigno, Ragosniza, and Triest


Next Page

Previous Page

10 Pages >>

10 Pages <<
1813 Light Squadrons and Single Ships 180

leagues from the island of Ragosniza, and, having passed the sea-battery within pistol-shot unperceived, landed at the back of the island. At daylight on the 5th the French troops were saluted with a cheer from the British at the top of the hill ; who, quickly descending, entered the battery at the rear, where it was open, and carried it without much resistance. Six 24-pounders and two 7-inch mortars were mounted on the battery. These were disabled, a newly erected signal tower demolished, and the seamen and marines returned on board without any loss.

On the 5th of October Rear-admiral Fremantle, with the Milford, Eagle, and some smaller vessels, arrived off and blockaded the port of Triest, while a detachment of Austrian troops from the main body under General Count Nugent invested the town by land. On the 10th the French unexpectedly opened a masked battery of two guns upon the Milford, whose stern was towards the shore. Captain Markland in a few minutes got a spring upon the cable, and in a quarter of an hour disabled both guns, and killed two and wounded seven of the men stationed at them, while not a man was hurt on board the Milford. On the same day Captain Markland landed with the marines and two field-pieces ; and on the 11th General Nugent returned from Gorizia, having obliged the viceroy to pass the Isongo. It was then determined to lay siege to the castle. By the 16th the British had 12 guns in two batteries, which opened their fire and continued it nearly the whole day. Towards evening the French were driven from the windmill, and the Austrians took possession of the fort, and of two howitzers advanced there. The fire was continued with increased effect until the 29th, when Colonel Rabie, the French commanding officer, surrendered on a capitulation.

Captain Rowley commanded one of the batteries on shore, and was accompanied by Lieutenants William Hotham and Charles Moore, and midshipman Edward Hibbert. Captain Fairfax Moresby, of the brig-sloop Wizard, also commanded a battery, and, having been ordered to form another battery of four 32-pounders within breaching distance, he did so in the course of 56 hours, under every disadvantage of weather, and without any other, assistance than 50 men from the Milford and 20 from his own sloop. Mr. William Watts, acting master of the Wizard, and who was severely wounded, is also spoken highly of in the rear-admiral's despatch ; as is likewise Captain David Dunn, of the armed en flute 32-gun frigate Mermaid. Captain Markland, as has been already mentioned, was also on shore in command of the marines. The loss of the British on this occasion amounted to 10 seamen and marines killed, and 35 wounded, including Mr. Watts, and a midshipman of the Wizard, Edward Young.

On the 12th the Bacchante arrived off Ragusa, and was joined by the Saracen and three gun-boats, with a detachment of the garrison of Curzola on board : and, from the information of

^ back to top ^