1813 - Bacchante and Saracen at Castel-Nuova, Boats of Swallow off d'Anzo, Of Edinburgh and squadron at same place


Next Page

Previous Page

10 Pages >>

10 Pages <<
1813 Boat Attacks, &c. in the Adriatic 181

Captain Harper and the insurrection of the Bocchese, Captain Hoste lost no time in proceeding to Castel-Nuova. On the 13th, in the morning, the Bacchante and Saracen forced the passage between that castle and the fort of Rosas, and, after some firing, secured a capital anchorage for the squadron about three miles above Castel-Nuova. At 10 p.m., Captain Hoste detached Captain Harper with the two Sicilian gun-boats, the launch and barge of the Bacchante and the boats of the Saracen, to capture the enemy's armed naval force represented to be lying between the island of St.-George and the town of Cattaro.

On going through the passage of Cadone, the boats received a heavy but ineffectual fire from the island of St.-George; and at midnight, when within four miles of Cattaro, Captain Harper found the enemy's four gun-boats in a state of revolt, and instantly took possession of them. He then landed and summoned the inhabitants, who immediately, at his request, armed en masse against the French. Having brought about this change, Captain Harper hoisted the English and Austrian flags on board the four captured gun-boats, and manning them with part English, proceeded down to attack the island of St.-George. On the 13th, at 6 a.m., a heavy and well-directed fire was opened from the gun-boats under the command of Lieutenant Frank Gostling of the Bacchante, upon the island, and returned from the batteries. In 15 minutes, however, the French were driven from their guns, and were eventually compelled to surrender at discretion. The possession of this island was of great importance, as it commands the narrow channel to the narrow branch of the river that leads up to Cattaro.

On the 16th of September, at daylight, the British 18-gun brig sloop Swallow, Captain Edward Reynolds Sibly, being well in-shore between the river Tiber and D'Anzo, discovered a brig and xebec between herself and the latter harbour. Captain Sibly immediately despatched after them three of the Swallow's boats, under the orders of Lieutenant Samuel Edward Cook, assisted by master's mate Thomas Cole and midshipman Henry Thomas. After a row of two hours, the boats overtook, close under D'Anzo, the French brig Guerrier, of four guns and 60 stands of small arms; and notwithstanding that numerous boats and two gun-vessels had been sent from D'Anzo to her assistance, and kept the brig in tow until the British were alongside, Lieutenant Cook and his party gallantly carried her; but, in doing so, he sustained a loss in his own boat, of two seamen killed and four severely wounded.

On the 5th, in the morning, the 74-gun ship Edinburgh, Captain the Honourable George Heneage Lawrence Dundas, 38-gun frigates Impérieuse, Captain the Honourable Henry Duncan, and Resistance, Captain Fleetwood Broughton Reynolds Pellew, sloops Swallow, Eclair and Pylades, the two latter commanded by Captains John Bellamy and James Wemyss,

^ back to top ^