The Golden Falcon
Chapter IV/2 - Wych
manor next to Droitwich is Wychbold, one of the two manors of Dodderhill;
the other was Elmbridge. The
river Salwarpe flows through Wychbold and Wynturesland (situated at the
bend of the river).
on the Bromsgrove road, was the chief manor at Domesday (1086) when it was
held by Osbern fitzRichard of Richard's Castle in the Golden Valley or
Valle Dore, Herefordshire. He
was a pre-Conquest Norman who came to England in the retinue of Emma of
Normandy, wife of Ethelred the Unready and his descendants, the Scropes,
became lords of Castlecombe, Somerset.
Osbern's son Hugh fitzOsbern married Eustacia de Say and their two
sons Osbert and Hugh took their mother's surname and possibly her coat of
arms. The Say coats of arms
were "quarterly or and
sable" (which could be differenced as "checky or and sable"), "quarterly or and gules" and "gules, 2 bars vair" (Richard's Castle).
Osbert died without heirs and was succeeded by Hugh who left 2
sons, Richard and Hugh. Richard
also died without heirs and Hugh died by the end of the 12th century
leaving 3 daughters. One
daughter Margaret married Hugh de Ferrars, then Robert Mortimer and
thirdly William Stuteville.
1199 Mabel, daughter of Robert Marmion and widow of Hugh de Say held £11.3s.11d
of the manor of Wychbold except the capital messuage which belonged to
Hugh de Ferrars. In 1222-3
she conveyed the moiety or half-share to her daughter Margaret and husband
William de Stuteville. In
1243 grants were made to Hugh Mortimer, her son and heir by her second
husband. William de
Stuteville died seised of the moiety in 1259 when it passed to Hugh
Mortimer who had a grant of free warren in 1266.
He died in 1275 leaving a son Robert Mortimer (d. 1287).
His son Hugh (d. 1304) had married Maud, leaving 2 daughters.
One was Joan, wife of Thomas Bykenore and when he died she married
secondly Richard Talbot. The
manor passed through the Talbots to the Gurneys and Archdeacons and from
them to the family of de Lacy, to the Hoptons, the Vaux of Harrowden and
the Corbetts of Moreton Corbett, Shropshire whose descendant, the salt
king John Corbett bought the manor of St. Andrews, naming it the Raven
the other manor of Doddershill, was also held by Osbern fitzRichard in
1086. It was then passed to a
family who took their surname Elmbridge from the manor or perhaps gave
their name to it as they held land in Surrey which had a Hundred of
- Elmbridge of Worcestershire & Surrey
de Elmbridge (1212) > Stephen de Ellebrug or fitzInard > Adam de
Elmbridge (1280), d. 1308 > Roger de Elmbridge (2nd Edw II) d. 1327-8
Roger de Elmbridge (10 Edw III, d. 1397), grant 1337, held Elmbridge till
Elizabeth. He was the
during the battle of Crecy and had the
responsibility for sending archers from Shropshire, Herefordshire
& Worcestershire to
Carmarthen or Portsmouth for the king’s campaign in France.
His epitaph says the king
made him earl of Surrey & Sussex
John de Elmbridge (3 Rich II) d. 1379 >:
1. Roger de Elmbridge (obsp),
brass at Beddington, Surrey
2. William de Elmbridge
3. John de Elmbridge
brass at Merstham, Surrey, inherited Surrey estate and
Elmbridge (d. 8.2.1473), MP for Surrey = (1) Isabel, d. of
mayor & alderman of London = (2) Anne, d. of John
Prophete, widow of Ralph
or James St. Leger.
Her 3rd husband was William Pecche (Bysshe?) >:
A. Joan Ellingbridge =
(1) Richard Cromond or Fromond = (2) Henry Burton
bur. at Carshalton, Surrey. Fromond
quartered checky arms in 1341/4 (at
Ellinbridge d. 1492, porter to Bishop Morton of Ely (later
Archbishop of Canterbury & Chancellor of
England) = Elizabeth, d. of
Nicholas Gaynesford. Thomas
has a brass at Carshalton > Thomas
Ellingbridge (d. 18.104.22.1687) at (16.3.1507 = Joan Overton
a. John Ellingbridge (d.
in infancy 26.12.1507)
b. Anne Ellingbridge
aged 3 at father's death = Sir John Dannett (1525)
of Dannett Hall, Co. Leics. She
was Patroness of Coulsdon (1522)
Elmbridge family held several manors in Surrey.
messuage called Flaucheford in the Reigate Hundred of Surrey which had
belonged to John Mowbray, earl of Norfolk until 4.7.1446 was conveyed to
John Ardern of Curdesworth, Warwick, Esquire of the Body to Henry VII and
Alice his wife, John Gaynesford, John Skinner and John "Elmerbrugge"
of Albury, Merstham, Surrey. In
1451 John "Elynbrigg"
was a knight of the shire in Surrey.
The church of St. Dunstans, Cheam, Surrey in the Wallington Hundred
shows the family arms and an an inquisition postmortem of 1309 (2
Edward II No. 18) of Adam
de "Elmerugg" in
Worcester shows he held "Elmerugge
hamlet extent and in Salop
Tylleshope maner extent, Boreford fec. cur."
Surrey was conveyed in 1460 to John and Nicholas Gaynesford and John
Elmbridge. They held it until
1464 when Elmbridge and Nicholas Gaynesford enfeoffed Robert White of
in the Reigate Hundred founded by the Elmbridge family who held Albery
are brasses of this family in St. Katherine's church, Merstham and the
tomb of John Elmbridge who died on 8.2.1473 and his two wives (1) Isabel,
daughter of Nicholas Jamys and their 4 sons and 7 daughters.
are brasses of John's son Thomas Elmbridge (d. 17.3.1507), Thomas's son
Thomas Elmbridge alias Elynbrugge and wife Joan with 3 sons and 3
daughters who died on 17.3.1507 and Thomas's son John whose daughter Anne
married Dannet. John married (2) Anne daughter of John Prophet, gent.
is also an effigy of Nicholas Jamys, mayor and alderman of London in 1472
with a bird with outspread wings. Another
tomb has an undercut vine trail and a
heraldic casque with an eagle or a falcon which may have been a Jamys
tomb or possibly that of an Elmbridge.
There is a brass to Thomas Ellingbridge, described as armiger, son
of Thomas Ellingbridge and Joanna his wife (d. 28th March mvvii) with the
arms "chequey argent and sable
impaling lozengy and a chief with saltire with ends cut off charged with
roundels" (arms of Overton and Elmbridge).
the church of Himbleton, Worcestershire has a north east window with the
Winter's eagle and tower crest, a figure of St. George, R.E.W. for Roger
and Elizabeth Winter and a mantled
helmet with an eagle. The shield are quarterly
1 & 4 (1) "argent, on a bend azure, 3 cinquefoils or" (Cooksey),
2 & 3 "sable, two bars
argent with 3 roundels argent and difference of a molet argent" (Hungerford), "gules, a
saltire argent in a border sable charged with molets or" (Hoddington)
and "argent, on a bend gules, 3 buckles or (Cassy).
arms at St. John the Baptist, Strensham on the tomb of Sir John Russell
(d. 1556) and wife Edith Unton (d. 1562) have the Russell shield
quartering de la Planche, Hoddington, Golafre, Cassy, Cooksey, Thorgrim,
Cromelyn, Unton quartering Fettiplace and the first two impaled.
Croham or Cranham in Croydon Hundred passed during the reign of Henry VII
from Anne Pecche to John Dannet whose wife was the daughter and coheiress
of Thomas Elynbridge.
in the Wallington Hundred was held by John Elmbridge (d. 1473) who married
Anne, relict of Ralph St. Leger. It
passed to Thomas his grandson (son of Thomas) then to Anne Dannet,
daughter of Thomas Ellingbridge.
Kent was held by Ralph St. Leger (1470) and wife Anne, daughter of John
Prophete who married as her 2nd husband, John Elmbridge (d. 1473).
She also appears on his brass at Merstham, Surrey.
Her 3rd husband was Sir William Peche or Pecche of Lullington whom
Great Halle at Sutton Abbas, Wallington Hundred, Surrey was held in 1509
by Thomas Ellingbridge and passed to Anne, wife of John Dannet.
manor of Dagehurst in Chalvedon or Chaldon was held in 1475 by Thomas St.
Leger, James St. Leger, John Richard, Nicholas Gaynesford and John Palmer
in trust for Anne, widow of John Elmbridge.
She was daughter of John Prophete and widow of Ralph or James St.
Leger. Her third husband was William Pecche (in 1481).
In 1490 the manor was released to Thomas Elmbridge, son and heir of
Thomas, then to Anne, daughter of Thomas Elmbridge who married John
Dannett. Roger Elmbridge was
incumbent of Coulsdon on 24.5.1468 and Anne Dannet was patroness of
Chaldon church on 30.7.1522.
Ellingbridge held the hall of the manor of Sutton, in the Croyland Hundred
of Surrey and lands near Ebbesham in Sutton which passed to his daughter
Ellingbridge of Carshalton Park (d. 1492) was porter to Bishop Morton of
in the Wallington Hundred of Surrey passed in 1497 to Thomas Ellingbridge
and his wife, daughter of Nicholas Gaynesford (d. 1497).
Thomas bequeathed land in Nutfield to Carshalton church.
His sister Joan married Henry Burton.
manor of Bruttgave, Bruttgrave or Bruttegrave was conveyed on 4-1 Edward
IV to John Elmbridge, William Gaynesford, John Wodewarde and William
brass in the church of St. Dunston, East Cheam in Wallington Hundred of
Surrey has the arms of the See of Lincoln and on the reverse the arms of
Fromond, Yerde or Yard and Ellingbridge being "party
chevronwise ermine and gules, a chevron between 3 fleurs de lys or" quartered
with "chequey argent and
sable" for Ellingbridge impaling "gules,
a chevron or between 3 yardsticks argent tipped gold" for Yarde
(Thomas Fromond d. 21.3.1513 and Elizabeth his wife, daughter of John
Yard). Joan, daughter of John
Ellingbridge (died 24.2.1524) is buried at Carshalton.
She married (1) Richard Fromonde of Hadlow (2) Henry Burton of
Carshalton. Robert Fromonde
of Farley 1341/44 quartered "chequey
argent and sable" in the 2nd quarter of his shield.
arms of Thomas Ellingbridge and his wife Joan were "checky
argent and sable impaling lozengy and a chief with a saltire with the ends
cut off charged with 5 roundels" (Overton).
The Elmbridge arms in the church of St. Dunstan's, Cheam impale
"party chevronwise ermine" and "gules
a chevron between fleurs de lys or" (Fromond) impaling "gules
a chevron or between 3 yardsticks argent tipped gold" (Yarde)
and in the church of All Saints, Carshalton being that of Thomas
Ellingbridge and his wife, the daughter of Nicholas Gainsford (d.1497)
impaling "chevron between 3
greyhounds passant with an annulet on a chevron" for difference (Gaynesford) the lower shield is that of Ellingbridge.
There are also brasses of Joan, wife of Henry Burton (1524),
daughter of John Ellingbridge (d. 12th
Dec. mtvcxxiij), Thomas Elmbridge JP, Gentleman Usher to John
Morton (former Bishop of Ely), Cardinal Archbishop of Canterbury and
Chancellor and Thomas Ellingbridge's wife, Elizabeth née Gaynesford with
3 sons and 4 daughters (dated 1497).
Elmbridge, sheriff of Surrey and Sussex (1435-7) had a cockatrice as a
crest and a quartered shield on his tomb at Beddington in the Croydon
Hundred of Surrey has a shield of "3
wreaths of roses, a chevron cotised (two chevronels) and a label of 3
points impaled with chequey argent and sable", an example of the
arms of a husband and wife (the 3 rose wreaths also appear on the
fitzWilliam arms) as recorded by Charles Boutell in his "Manual
Elmbridge family may have taken these arms from Droitwich where they held
the manor of Elmbridge (the 2nd shield of the city was "checky
or & sable" which many of the Winters bore) or from the de
Warenne, earls of Surrey as Roger de Elmbridge was made earl of Surrey
& Sussex according to his epitaph at Beddington, Croydon Hundred of
prece Roger Elmerugg cognominatum
lapis armigerus non corpus ut esset elatum
rex concessit Surr. Sussex comitatus
sed eum pressit prae quam foret officit
moriens juvenis his legem quisq' praetur
coelis ibi semper officietur"
for Roger Elmbridge whose coats of arms is inscribed on this stone, to
whom the king conceded the counties of Surrey & Sussex but he died
young before he could claim his inheritance).
the earldom of Surrey was originally held by the earls Warrenne, Roger
Elmbridge may have been a descendant of Maud de Nerford, mistress of the
last earl. The second earl
had married Isabella, daughter of Hugh, Count of Vermandois, widow of
Robert de Beaumont, earl of Leicester.
The arms of Warenne "checky
or and azure" were adopted from the Vermandois coat after this
original Vermandois arms were "checky
or and sable" but there was no black tincture in early medieval
heraldry until sable was discovered, being the crushed fur of this animal.
A very deep indigo was used instead which faded into blue so the
Vermandois arms becams "checky argent and or".
Vermandois arms were inherited by the earls of Warenne and Surrey, the
Newburgh earls of Warwick, the Beauchamp earls of Warwick and Worcester
and the Clifford earls of Cumberland.
last earl Warenne and Surrey left many illegitimate children by Maud of
Nerford who took the surname of fitzWarren.
fitzWarrens during the reigns of the kings Henry were invested with the
power of licensing vintners and publicans so licensed inns bore the
fitzWarren arms "checky or and
gules" and red lattices on doors and windows from which the inn
sign "Chequers" derived.
the chequered sign was found in houses in Pompeii probably because they
were used for the payment of doles and a chequer-board used for
calculating as was done on the tablecloth at the Droitwich Exchequer.
referred to such lattices in 2 Henry IV, ii.2:
me e'en now, my lord, through a red lattice" and again in
the Merry Wives of Windsor" ii.2. "and
yet you, rogue, will ensconce your rags ----- your red-lattice phrases
------- under the shelter of your honour."
General Armory shows the arms "checky
argent and sable" for Ellingbridge, Elmbridge or Elmerugg of Co.,
Worcester & Croham, Surrey. The
Roll of Henry III adds "on a
chief or, 3 elm leaves slipped proper". Crest
"a griffin's head."
branches of the Winter family also bore the
"checky" arms because the Norfolk branch may have been
retainers of the earl of Surrey and Warenne.
in "Norfolk Families" maintains:
way of bearing arms and much practised in former times was, when gentlemen
who had served great lords and barons either in the wars abroad or at home
in some honourable employment and being enfeoft by them in lands etc
assumed the arms of their chiefs, only varying the colours or making some
little additions to their charges as may be instanced in several families
in England and particularly in this county, in the ancient families of
Calthorpe, Breccles, Thorp Ward,
Winter, Barningham, Baldock, Beckham, Caley, Clifton, Tatshall etc who
all bear the field "cheque"
in imitation of the arms of that powerful baron, the earl of Warren and
families of Winter, Barningham and Tateshall or Tattersall had common
ancestry and a Winter of Baldock served Edward III during the Crecy and
Calais campaigns in France. The
branches of the Winters of Barningham Winter, Norfolk and Brecon bore the
Derbyshire & Staffordshire branches of the family of Curzons (Sire
Roger de Coursoun) who held Barningham before the Winters, bore the arms "checky or and sable, a fesse argent" [Papworth's British
so did the Winters of Dyrham [Boroughbridge Roll AD 1322 printed in
Palgrave's Parliamentary Writs fol. London 1830 Appendix 196 from Wynn's
MS Ashmolean MS 831].
John Winter of Barningham married the widow of (Roger) Curzon.
le Curzoun held Barningham in 1316; in 1338 it was settled on Sir John de
Curzoun and Elizabeth his wife and in 1360 John de Reppes junior held it
in right of his wife, late wife of --- de Curzoun.
de Hetherset = Maud (alive 149) > John de Hetherset = Margery >:
Remigius de Hetherset, Parson of Hingham.
Gt. Barningham conveyed in trust to
him by Richard de Berningham, remainder to John, son of Simon de
Eliz. his wife
John de Hetherset (d.c. 1357) = Elizabeth = (2) John de Reppes > John
de Reppes jnr. =
Elizabeth, widow of (John) de Curzon, lord of Ton Birmingham (Barningham
Reppes held this manor (11 Edw III - 1338) which came
to William Winter, sheriff of
Norfolk & wife Maud (49 Edw III - 1376) > John
Winter = (1) d. of Braylesford = (2)
Sir Simon de Hetherset, knight, King’s Justice, held Dunstons or
manor, Norfolk (conveyed in 1315) = Cecily > Sir John Hetherset
of Woodhall &
Cantelose, Norfolk, guardian of wool customs (1357) = Eve, d.
of Sir Thomas
Hetherset > Elizabeth Hetherset = John
Winter of Town Barningham as 2nd wife
Winters of Huddington intermarried with the Talbot earls of Shrewsbury. Walter (son of Gilbert Talbot and Elizabeth Winter) built a
castle at Elmbridge.
manor of Salwarpe in Worcestershire was held by the Talbot family in the
16th century. They originated
at Bromsgrove where there are brases in the church to Elizabeth Talbot of
the 15th century, Sir John of 1550, his two wives, Sir Humphrey Stafford
(1450) and his wife Alianor; he and his brother died at Blackheath
fighting Jack Cade's rebels.
Stafford's forfeited estates passed to this Gilbert Talbot who received
Grafton in 1486. The
Staffords were dukes of Gloucester and Buckingham and lords of Brecon.
Bromsgrove belonged to Humphrey Stafford who was a Yorkist, so was
his son Humphrey Stafford who tried to raise a rebellion against Henry VII
and was executed for treason.
was famous for its hopyards and Robert Winter, the Gunpowder Plotter,
owned a hop garden and salt springs at Droitwich.
Parker of 158l lived at Stockton-on-Teme.
William Parker, Lord Mounteagle whose sister Mrs Habington was wife
of Thomas the historian, banished to Worcestershire for his part in the
Habington Plot, where he wrote his history of the county.
Both Thomas Habington and his brother Edward were followers of
Mary, Queen of Scots and were also involved in the Babington and Gunpowder
Plots. He hid Catholic
priests at his house at Hindlip including his own chaplain and Father
Henry Garnett, implicated in the Gunpowder Plot.
Hervington Hall was owned by the Throckmortons, another Catholic,
family, in the 16th and 17th centuries and has priest holes too.
was held by the Russells from 1387-1705.
There are brasses there of Sir Robert Russell of the 14th century,
Sir John of 1405, Robert and Elizabeth of the 15th century, John and his
wife of the 16th century, Sir Thomas of 1618, Francis of 1704, his wife
and daughter, Sir William of 1660 and his grand daughter.
His great grand daughter was the last of the line and died in 1774.
One of the Russells was Shakespeare's lawyer.
has brasses of the Washbournes; John of of 1631, Anthony of 1570 and John
and Alice (he was son of the first John and died 18 years before his
has a brass of Walter Cokesay and his wife Matilda and her second husband
Sir John Phelips of 1415 who fought a Harfleur; his second wife was
Chaucer's grand-daughter. There
are also tombs of the 2 children of Walter Cokesay, Hugh Cokesay (d. 1445)
and Lady Joyce Beauchamp whose heirs were the Winters of Huddington and
the Russells of Strensham.
Witley passed to the Cokeseys who held it till 1655.
The family of Cooksey or Cokesay held much land in Warwickshire,
Worcestershire and elsewhere. Willey
manor in the Knightlow Hundred of Warwickshire belonged to the Cokesays,
passing to the Stranges and the Talbots.
The two quarters of Sir Hugh Cokesay's share (he was son of Walter
Cokesay) were divided and the Penebrugge quarter passed to his sister
Joyce Cooksey) Joyce Beauchamp
(Ch. Inq. p.m. Ser.2, 38-39 Henry VI., Cal. Fine Rolls
It then passed to John Grevyle, her son by a previous marriage.
His son Thomas Grevyle alias Cokesay died by 1500 when the licence
to entry to his lands was granted to Robert Russell and Robert Winter (District
Census, Cal. Pat. 1494-1509 p. 192).
Robert Russell and Robert or Roger Winter were descendants of
Cicely, daughter of Walter Cokesay (son of Isabel St. Pierre).
According to the pedigree his name is Roger Winter (Visitation
Worcs. 1569, Harl. 118)
borne out by the inquisition after the death of George Winter, his son who
held it in 1594 when he died
(Chan. Inq. p.m. Ser. 2 ccxlii 75). Part of the land was sold to John Underhill by Roger Winter.
Thomas Underhill's wife was Roger Winter's sister.
de Braiose = Urian St.Pierre > Isabel
St. Pierre = Walter Cooksey > Walter Cooksey >:
Hugh Cooksey = Alice
Joyce Cooksey = (1) Walter Beauchamp = (2) John Greville = (3) Leonard
> John Greville > Thomas Greville or Cooksey (d. 1408)
Cecily or Elizabeth Cooksey = Thomas Cassy > Agnes Cassy = Walter
Thomas Hodington = Joan Thurgrin >:
1. John Hoddington =
Roger Winter (1487-8)
2. &/or Margery
Hoddingotn = Robert Winter
3. Agnes Hoddington =
William Russell of Strensham
4. &/or Elizabeth
Hoddington = Robert Russell of Strensham
and Agnes brought Huddington and lands in Worcestershire to their husbands
and Elizabeth and Margery (unless this is an error) the manor of Weston
Butlers, in Buckinghamshire.
George Throgmorton (in a letter to Arthur Plantagenet, Lord Lisle) called
the owner of Huddington Roger Winter (as does Thomas Cromwell in his
letter) and asked for the wardship of his son and heir Richard Winter
(betrothed to Katherine Throgmorton) who is sick and about to die.
Katherine Throgmorton married Robert Winter who held the manor of "Bachessore" (Badgeworth) in Gloucestershire (who must
have been Roger's second son) in whose inquisition postmorten she is
mentioned as his widow so there is no doubt that she was Robert's second
wife (if he was married twice) and outlived him, marrying secondly Thomas
Smyth of Chipping Campden.
has brasses of John Greville and his wife.
He was one of Henry V's knights and was a member in 5 parliaments. This family also held the Gloucestershire manors of Chipping
Campden, the second manor of Ebrington and Weston-upon Avon where there is
a Cooksey rebus (a pun on a surname as in "canting"
arms) of a table in a cock boat) in the north window of the church of All
Saints and brasses of Sir John Greville and his son who fought at the
Battle of the Spurs in 1513.
in the Knightlow Hundred of Warwickshire was held at the Dissolution by
Joan or Jane Winter and her nephew Ralph Underhill on 1.1.1552 (Anne,
sister of Roger Winter of Huddington married Thomas Underhill).
It was settled on Ralph and his wife Mary and their heirs.
He died in 1555 when it passed to his brother Edward Underhill.
was held by John Underhill who founded the New England branch..
Ettingham has brasses of Thomas Underhill, his wife and 20 children
of the Tudor period and Anthony Underhill of 1587. An epitaph of the Underhills of Ettington reads:
dreams do slide, as bubbles rise and fall,
flowers do fade and flourish in an hour
smoke doth rise and vapours vanish all,
the wit or reach of human power,
is our state, so life of man doth pass."
Underhill of Nether Ettington, Warwickshire and Edward Winter of
Huddington were cousins of Arthur Throgmorton, the diarist.
Edward Underhill the "Hot
Gospeller", another Warwickshire cousin of the Winters, wrote an
account of the plot to place Lady Jane Grey on the throne.
When Edward Underhill was christened in the church of Tower Hill,
John Grey, duke of Suffolk, William 1st Lord Herbert, earl of Pembroke and
Lady Jane Grey were "gossips"
(god-parents or sponsors), Sir Nicholas Throgmorton's wife (Anne, daughter
of Sir Nicholas Carew of Beddington, Surrey) standing deputy for Lady Jane
afterwards Mary Tudor was proclaimed queen and Winter and Nicholas
Throgmorton or Throckmorton were imprisoned in the Tower after the Plot to
place Lady Jane Grey on the throne failed.
In one account he is called William Winter (later admiral) but the
Chronicle of Lady Jane says it was Robert Winter (husband of Katherine
Throgmorton). Clement Throgmorton (mentioned in the Will of Thomas Winter,
barber of Evesham) was sent from Coventry to the Tower to report that the
Duke of Suffolk had been taken prisoner.
Throgmorton was an English merchant in the Canaries when William Winter
escaped from the clutches of the Inquisition there.
Sir Nicholas Throgmorton was the English ambassador in France and
witnessed the St. Bartholomew's Day massacre of the Huguenots.
There are brasses at Haseley, Warwickshire of Clement Throgmorton,
his wife (Katherine Neville) and 13 children, Ullenhall of Francis
Throgmorton of Coughton of John and wife Elizabeth (who became abbess of
Denney), Robert and Sir George Throgmorton, his wife and 19 children.
Winters inherited many manors in various counties from the Cookseys.
One was Weston Butlers, one of the two manors of Weston Turville in
the Aylesbury Hundreds to the counts of Meulan, earls of Leicester,
Warwick and Worcester. The
other manor, Weston Molyns passed from the Molyns family to the
Weston Butlers was held by the Butlers or Botillers (arms "gules, a fesse checky argent and sable between 6 cross crosslets or"). It passed from Roger Croft and Cecilia, heiress of William Turville to Hugh de Herdeburgh in 1254, then to Roger de Herdeburgh who died before 1296. He had 2 daughters, Ela and Isabel, wives of William le Botiller of Wem and John de Hulles. It passed to Ela, widow of Walter de Hopton then to Edmund Botiller (1346), then to his brother Edward, both of whom died without heirs so it was divided between their 4 sisters, Dionisia the eldest married Hugh de Cokesay (49 Edward III). It went from them to to Walter Cokesay (1383), then to his son Walter (d.1407) from whom it passed to Hugh Cokesay, his son who was aged 3 at his father's death. It was inherited by his sister Joyce, wife of John Greville of Chipping Campden, Gloucestershire, then to his son John Greville (d. 1467) and his son Thomas Greville alias Cokesay (d.1498-9) who died without heirs so his cousins Elizabeth and Margery, daughters of Thomas Huddington inherited. They were descendants of Cecily, sister of Joyce Cokesey. In 1500 Elizabeth, wife of Robert Russell, and Margery, wife of Robert Winter sold it to Sir Reginald Bray.
Great Witley, in the Doddington Hundred, Worcestershire was not recorded in the Domesday Survey (1086) and was held of the Honour of Elmley. Walter Beauchamp gave it to Hugh le Poer who gifted it in frank marriage to Hugh Cokesay who married his daughter Juliana le Poer during the reign of Henry II; her second husband was William de Furches. In 1287 it passed to Walter Cokesay (d. 1300), then to his son Walter. It followed the descent of Upton Warren until the death of Thomas Cokesay (1498-9) when it passed to Roger Winter of Huddington and Robert Russell of Strensham who were co-heirs. Witley was given to Russell.
Upton Warren or Fitzwarren included Badge Court or Batchcott held in 1630 by the Winters whose arms appear on the ceiling with 12 quarter and a helm crested with an eagle rising out of a mural crown with the motto "Omnia de super". The manor was seized in 1077 by Bishop Odo of Bayeux and held by Urse d'Abitot in 1086 after which it pased to the Beauchamps of Warwick who held it till the 15th century. Warin fitzWilliam de Upton, the under-tenant, married Hawise de Beauchamp. William fitzWarin, his son, was sheriff of the county in 1299 ande died in 1338 when it reverted to John de Grafton and descended as Grafton manor. Urse d'Abitot, the sheriff was overlord of Cooksey, the manor of Bromsgrove in 1086 and Elmley (2 manors of Cooksey) which were inherited by the Cokesays of Great Cooksey. Walter Cokesay held it in the mid-13th century and Elizabeth Cokesay in 1300 after which it passed to Walter Cokesay who married Isabel St. Pierre, then to their son Walter in 1400. It was inherited by Walter's son Hugh Cokesay and his wife Alice in 1406/7, then by Joyce Beauchamp, sister and co-heiress of Hugh Cokesay from whom it passed to the Winters and Russells.
Willey manor, in the Knightlow Hundred was held by Edmund le Botiller whose heirs were his 4 sisters: Joan or Elizabeth, wife of John Strange of Blakemere, Alice wife of Nicholas Langeford (her grandson Nicholas inherited her shares), Ida, wife of William Trussell of Odiham (their daughter Ida married Fulc Penebrugg) and Denise, wife of Hugh Cokesay (their son Walter was heir). The Stranges' share passed to Ankaretta Butler, aunt of Elizabeth (wife of John Strange). Ankaretta died in 1413; her son and heir was Gilbert Talbot circa 1422. Gilbert's widow Beatrice held it after which it passed to Ankaretta Talbot, her daughter, whose heir was Sir John Talbot, earl of Shrewsbury. In 1445 Hugh Cokesay died possessed of two quarters (he obtained the Penebrugge quarter in 1371). His wife married secondly Sir Andrew Ogard. It was inherited by Joyce Beauchamp (née Cokesay) who died in 1473 when it passed to her son John Greville to the his son Thomas (d.1500) who took the name of Cokesay. It was inherited by Robert Russell and Robert Winter, heirs of Cecily Cokesay. George Winter, Robert's great grandson, sold it in 1565.
The manor of Bramley, Surrey passed from the St. Pierres to the Cokesays and from them to to the Winters in the same manner.