Welcome to Dallas Pioneer Park Cemetery, 154 years of Dallas history in the making!


Pioneer Cemetery's Historical Markers & Memorials

Every era & place has its own defining moments in history. The people involved give a community its real character. Those who make it possible for successive generations to have a better life are pioneers in their own right, whether they dare to go where no one else has gone or do what others claim can't be done. Dallas' pioneers are remembered here for their contribution to society.




Pioneer Cemetery Historical Marker
The area now known as Pioneer Cemetery is composed of the remnants of four early graveyards. The graves, dating back to the 1850's, include many of Dallas' early settlers and civic leaders. Two of the graveyards that now make up Pioneer Cemetery were associated with early Dallas fraternal organizations. The earliest marked grave in the section once known as the Tannehill Lodge #52 Masonic Cemetery is that of Elizabeth McPherson who died in 1853. R. P. Rodgers (d. 1852) is the oldest known interment in the section once belonging to Dallas Lodge #44 of the International Order of Odd Fellows. Some of the land nearby was once used as a cemetery by the Hebrew Benevolent Association. The property was deeded to Congregation Emmanuel in 1912, & in 1956, the graves were moved to the Emmanuel Cemetery. The fourth section, known as Old City Cemetery, was formally deeded to the City of Dallas in 1871. Its oldest marked grave, that of John Henry Long, is dated 1870. The last burials in what is now called Pioneer Cemetery took place in the latter part of the 1920's. The monuments that have remained over time are significant reminders of the history of the City of Dallas.

Texas Sesquicentennial 1836-1986


Artz Marker

Citizen Board Members Branch-National Recreation-Park Assn.

In Memory of Robert M. Artz 1931-1979

A partner in progress-a professional leader-friend

Dallas History
Interactive Cemetery Map
Markers & Memorials
About Me

Bryan Memorial

Erected to the Memory of John Neely Bryan
First Citizen of Dallas
Dec 24, 1810-Sept 5, 1877

Preservation of Historic Spots Committee
James Butler Bonham Chapter
Daughters of the Republic of Texas
Mrs. George F. Carlisle-Chairman
(NOTE: John Neely Bryan, founder of the City of Dallas, is buried in an unmarked grave in Austin.)


Confederate Monument
Believed to be the city's oldest outdoor art sculpture, the Confederate Memorial was originally located at Old City Park, formerly Sullivan Park, which was located less than 1/2 miles away on S. Ervay. Its original installation at the Park in 1896 was an all-day event attended by 400 Confederate & 65 Union veterans. The monument was moved to its present location in the cemetery in 1961 when construction began on R. L. Thornton Frwy. It consists of a 60-foot central obelisk bearing the likeness of Old Tice on one side, a Confederate Soldier standing atop the monument & four statues: Albert Sidney Johnston at one corner, General Robert E. Lee at another corner, General Stonewall Jackson on the third corner & Confederate President Jefferson Davis on the fourth corner.


Crescent Club Marker

The Crescent Garden Club Bi-Centennial Project
Gift to the City of Dallas
March 1976

V. Skinner

B. J. pain

B. Chandler

G. Robb

A. Ballowe

M. L. Jones

M. Chapman

N. Zebran

H. Paddock

J. Nolan

D. Herkimer

C. Maloney

T. Peters

B. Elder

B. Hardesty

I. Loiselle

K. Cloer

H. Zane

J. Hodges

S. Knight

B. Logan

M. Ball

C. Ryan

B. Koons

P. Buck


Crockett Historical Marker

John McClanahan Crockett (12/26/1816-8/4/1887)
South Carolina native John M. Crockett married Katherine (Kate) Polk in 1837. In 1848, they moved to Dallas where Crockett opened one of the pioneer settlement's first law offices. Crockett served as a State Legislator, Mayor of Dallas & meteorological observer for the Smithsonian Institution in the 1850's & as Lieutenant. Governor of Texas during its first two years in the Confederacy. A prominent mason, Crockett also helped establish The Grange in North Texas.



Darnell Historical Marker

Nicholas Henry Darnell (4/20/1807-6/7/1885)

Soon after arriving in Texas in 1838, Nicholas Darnell was elected to the Republic of Texas Congress, where he served as Speaker of the House. A delegate to the 1845 State-Hood Convention, he later represented Dallas and Tarrant Counties in the State Legislature, again serving as Speaker. He resigned in 1863 to lead the 18th Texas Cavalry. After the Civil War, Darnell was again elected to the Texas Legislature & was a delegate to the 1875 Constitutional Convention.



Dusseau Historical Marker

Pierre Dusseau (1800-1867) was born in Carcossone in Southern France . With a strong interest in the science of gardening, he joined the European American Society of Colonization in 1854 & set out for Texas to be the gardener for Victor Prosper Considerant's La Reunion Colony. With his daughters, Louise & Anna, as well as Anna's husband, Guillome Portevin, Dusseau arrived in this area in June 1855. He served as gardener for two years before the struggling colony disbanded. In poor health, he moved to Dallas and lived the remainder of his life with Louise & her husband, Samuel Jones.



Fowler Historical Marker

Juliette Abbey Peak Fowler (5/8/1837-6/4/1889)

After the deaths of her husband & children in the early 1860's, Juliette Peak Fowler lived in Dallas & was active in local charitable causes. Committed to orphans & elderly women during her life, she provided for their benevolent care in her will. Under the direction of her sister, Sarah Peak Harwood, the Juliette Fowler Homes began in 1892. Transferred to the Disciples of Christ Church in 1903, the Homes continue to reflect the goals & ideals of their founder.



Good Historical Marker

John Jay Good (1827-1882)

Mississippi native John Jay Good practiced law in Alabama before moving to Dallas in 1851. He married Susan Anna Floyd in 1854. Good was involved in early local & state government & was a charter member of the local Odd Fellows Lodge in 1855. He served the Confederacy in the Civil War as a Colonel of an artillery regiment. Good later became a District Judge & was elected as Mayor of Dallas in 1880.



Harwood Historical Marker

Alexander Harwood (1820-1885)

Alexander Harwood came to Dallas in 1844 from Tennesse. After the death of his first wife, Isabella Daniel Harwood in 1851, he married Sarah Peak in 1855. Harwood was elected County Clerk six times between 1850 & 1880. He was Senior Warden of the Tannehill Masonic Lodge & served the Confederacy as assistant to Postmaster General John H. Reagan. Harwood represented Dallas County at the 1866 State Constitutional Convention.



Hawpe Historical Marker

Trezevant Calhoun Hawpe (9/18/1820-8/12/1883)

Georgia native Trezevant Calhoun Hawpe, a widower, moved from Tennessee to Dallas County with his son. He married Electa Underwood Bethurum in 1848. Elected Dallas County Sheriff in 1850, he served two terms. He later was Justice of the Peace & County Coroner & an officer of Tannehill Masonic Lodge. A leader in the succession movement in Dallas County , he organized & was first Colonel of the 31st Texas Cavalry in 1862, & was instrumental in the Confederate victory at Newtonia , Missouri . Hawpe was stabbed to death by a friend after a quarrel on the steps of the County Courthouse.



High Noon Club Masonic Plaque

Our Brethren of ‘76

To the memory of those masons who provided much of the inspiration, determination & leadership for the American Revolution that brought independence to the colonists & established a free nation under God in America, The High Noon Club dedicates this plaque.

May 31, 1976


Lane Historical Marker

Kentucky native John W. Lane (1835-1888) was a member of Tannehill Lodge #52 AF & AM. Trained as a printer, he came to Dallas in 1859 & worked for the Dallas Herald Newspaper. He married Elizabeth Crutchfield in 1860 & the next year, joined the 18th Texas Cavalry to served in the Civil War. Upon returning to Dallas, Lane was elected mayor. He resigned to become personal assistant to Govenor James Throckmorton. As State Representative (1869-1872), Lane ensured the future development of Dallas by amending legislature in 1871 that changed the route of the Texas & Pacific Railroads.



Latimer Historical Marker

James W. “Weck” Latimer (1783-1860)

Latimer was born in New London , Connecticut. Moved to Texas with family in 1833. Founder & editor first newspaper in Dallas , 1849. Known originally as “The Cedar Snag”, then as “Dallas Herald”. Incorporated in “Dallas Morning News” in 1885.



Patterson Historical Marker

James Martin Patterson (1812-1906)

Kentucky native James Martin Patterson arrived in Dallas in 1846. Patterson & John W. Smith opened one of the first stores in Dallas using their pooled resources of $700. They built a flatboat & attempted to ship cotton down the Trinity River to the Gulf Coast . In 1851, Patterson served as Chief Justice (County Judge) from 1854 to 1866. He retired in 1875 & managed his extensive property holdings until his death.



Record Historical Marker

James K. Polk Record (10/29/1834-1/16/1872)

Educated in Tennessee as a lawyer, J. K. P. Record became the District Attorney for Dallas in 1860. He left that office to serve in the Confederate Army during the Civil War, but returned here after the conflict. In 1866, he became a state senator & served as a delegate to the Texas Constitutional Convention of 1866. He later practiced law in Dallas & was an active member of the Masons & Odd Fellows organizations.



Stone Historical Marker

Barton Warren Stone (1817-1881)

Kentucky native Barton William Stone came to Dallas from Tennessee in 1851. He prospered at farming & the practice of law. In 1852, he helped lead a rebellion again Peters Colony agent H. O. Hedgecoxe. Though initially opposed to Texas succession, Stone organized & commanded two Confederate Cavalry regiments during the Civil War. He later moved his family to a farm in Missouri , but returned to Dallas in 1879 to practice law.

Texas Sesquicentennial 1836-1986

In Memory of Fifteen Unknown Citizens of Dallas,
Buried near this location, 1880-1910,
Reinterred at this site 1999


39 Reburied
May 26, 1970

Project Designer: Julia D. Quinteros de Hernandez
September 1, 2006