Submitted by Cannon Pritchard
A small graveyard surrounded by a four foot hand-made brick fence located
on private property
near the original homesite of the William Charles Hicks Family. This cemetery is located on a hill
on property owned today by the Abell family. It is sometimes called the "Abell Hill Cemetery".
There are five graves with markers of the Hicks family.
(The Hicks and Abell families are not related).
William C. Hicks
B. April 21, 1798, N. C. D. July 31, 1851
(He was first married to Charity Hicks of North Carolina on Dec. 18,
1822 and after her death he married Rachel Pearson on Dec. 4, 1832 in
Autauga Co. Ala. ).
Rachel (Pearson) Hicks
B. March 26, 1807, S. C. D. March 29, 1878
Mary Winifred (Hicks) Kale
B. Sept. 11, 1833 D. Sept 6., 1854
(She married John P. Kale on Aug. 10, 1852. He is buried in the Old
Kale, infant daughter of John P. & Mary W. Kale, died August 27, 1853
Kale, infant son of John P. & Mary W. Kale, died August 20, 1854
Other family members buried here without markers are:
John Gewin Hicks,
B. 3 Apr 1825, N.C. D. prior to1852, son of W.C. Hicks and his first wife Charity,
and two Hicks nieces who came to Texas with the family:
Cornelia C. Hicks, B. 1836, Ala. D. prior to 1860
Amanda Hicks, B.1838, Ala. D. prior to 1860
The brick fence was constructed around the graves in the 1880/1890 period by the only living
child of the Hicks family, Elvira James "Jimmie" Hicks Brown who is buried in the Oakland
Cemetery in Dallas.
Notes: William C. Hicks Family came from Autauga County,
Alabama in 1839 to the northern
division of Liberty County, Republic of Texas. On Sept. 5, 1840 Mr. Hicks purchased 2,214
acres on Long King Creek from Moses Choate for $2,777.50 and 1,107 acres from
John D. Burks. The deeds were put on record in Liberty County and in 1846 when Polk
County was created it became the first deed on record, Deed Book "A", #1. This property
was bordered on the south by land owned by Moses Choate and on the north by land owned
by Barnet Hardin, father of John Wesley Hardin, gunfighter. The Hicks, Kales, and Hardin
families lived near each other.
Location: At the intersection of Tx Highway 190 and
FM 350 go two miles north on FM 350
to the intersection with Bond Road. On right side of FM 350 is a locked gate to the Abell property.
A private road behind gate leads to the Hicks Cemetery about 1/4 mile down road. The cemetery
is located adjacent to the road on the left side of road.
Permission is needed from property owner to visit the cemetery.
Back to Cemetery Master List >>>
Back to Polk County Connections >>>