Bakery of Kurt Böhnke, Tollhouses, View of the Park Lake, and trainstation. Postcard of Adalbert Mikoteit
Retrospective view of NEUGUTH
by Bernhard Krause
As district and modest center of some
small villages and farm communities, Neuguth lies in the
Northeast of the county, between the agricultural
used surfaces in the south and the state forest of the north.
Serving as a connection, it has shaped the life and
character of the surrounding villages since its existence.
Presumably in the time of the German Knights Order, about 1400,
the first settlers built their houses around the village-lake,
i.e. around the later meadow, of Albert Lahn. The Dortbrunnen well,
in our time a stable pump, stood before the estate of Max Reddies.
The oldest Pub with grocer-store was the business of Sigmund Baum.
The Sigmund Baum store 1920's. From Das Schlochauer Land.
From the Polish time, the Buschamenka (Boza meka) a shrine for
the worship of the Mother Mary stood at the fork to Neuhof and Josefshof.
In 1772, the village became, along the street to the north, widened.
From Pomerania came new settlers who were all Lutheran.
and made the estates on both sides of the Mühlenweg (mill-way road)
in direction of Prechlauermühl usable. Craftspersons moved into the area.
homebuilders, masons, carpenters, cartwrights, smiths shoemakers,
Furthermore arose an
Inn with stables spreading out. In the intersection of the Briesener
Street and the Wangelevenweg (way) was built the first school.
The people lived exclusively in Neuguth over centuries
With the agriculture and small additional-income of the the forest-treasury, so
the connection of the community to the railroad-network (about 1900),
was a big turning point.
The train station. From Das Schlochauer Land.
A proficient master craftsman, "the fat
Lenz " (father of teacher Lenz), established a construction business in Neuguth.
Then he erected a sawmill at the street to the railway station.
and soon also established a modern grain-mill.
The wood mill.
For his workers
he built the so-called Häusler quarters in the string-village.
The economic activity took a strong buoyancy henceforth. That
Agriculture could finally move their products without transportation-difficulties
The big forest area of the Schlochau heath became
an inexhaustible reservoir for the wood-industry. With the acquisition
of forestry, women found, that they could beforest-workers
and wood-cart drivers; others worked in the sawmill or as construction -
craftspersons. The names: Albert Lahn and August Bettin, erected
many buildings in the homeland during their long work-lives.
However not only commodities took the way over the
Railroad, also the people themselves adapted to the time. One
Part of the descendants from the exceptionally prolific families
Moved into the foreign part. Usually young people were recruited
Seasonal-workers for brick makers, nurseries and canneries
From West and Middle Germany. During the winter they returned
Back home; some remained however also at the job place
and established their household here. A particular
Attraction was - especially for the girls - the
The first world war so hopefully begun did nothing for Neuguth
economic development. Twelve young men
and family-fathers had to sacrifice their life in the course of the war.
As of January 1920 the German-Polish border proceeded
by the farm community Krasenfier - Gut Eichenfeld. Neuguth,
had become a border-village - it had lost approximately 1/3 of its hinterland.
Unemployment and inflation brought years of hunger and need.
The Jewish citizens, Cuno Jakobi, stepped forward notably in these years
and Sigmund Baum. Jakobi brought in peat-production machines,
and Baum organized
the sales of the forest-fruits, the berries and mushrooms. The
Payment, which the people earned with it, was certainly
low, but, it helped in the time of need. Mrs. Minna Scharmer
from the forest superintendent's office Pflastermühl, reports,
how she in those years with mushrooms and berries,
ran in the early morning hour 11 km to Neuguth,
to exchange foods for the most necessary goods for her family.
With regard she still speaks of it today, how Sigmund Baum looked after
The women who had traveled far, they were given a snack and a good cup coffee before the trip home.
The mixed Choir of the Choral Society in Neuguth.
After the inflation, improvements started in the economic
conditions; the culture-life of the community was also inspired.
Within the choral society appeared a mandolin-club
and an amateur theater of a notable/remarkable level.
People streamed together from near and far to the performances,
in winter fests in the hall Rahmel,
and as well to the summer-fests in Köhns groves. The Federal-track
put down a special railcar from Schlochau and Rummelsburg.
This is a photo of the Choral Society of Neuguth, the Tirolean group
at Sommerfest 1921. Photo from Alice Sternberg.
The back row: Paul Nitzke, Leo Zabback, Richard Sieg, Richard Schneider, Gregor Kühn.
Middle row: Paul Günter, Margarete Lenz, Thadeus Lenz, Lenchen Lahn,
Leo Lahn, Herta Kaps, Friedrich Sternberg, Frieda Pardun, Albert von Prußki.
Front row: Frieda Wiese, Ella Münzel, Frau Radtke, Hedwig von Zaluskowski.
Sigmund Baum, heart and soul of the choral society has himself
in the 20 years around Neuguth deserved merit. He had to, in
the political chaos of the 2 world war, leave the homeland in March
1940 with his family - since then all are missing.
Mayors the community were since the turn of the century: Hermann Dahlke (1905-30),
Albert Kuhn (1930-33), and Bernhard Köhn (1933-45).
As teachers worked at the 3 class primary school since 1920, Georg Haß, Hieronymus Lenz,
and some young-teachers.
The teachers Georg Hass and Hieronymus Lenz. Picture from Wolfgang Hass.
The teachers house.
Church-village for both denominations was the 6 km distant Sampohl.
The last working ministers were pastor Grunwald (ev).) and priests Skierka (kath.)
Whoever wanted the doctor, the Pharmacist, drugstore, or
Specialty store had to go to Prechlau 8 km away.
The 30, January 1933 began with a torch parade and
bonfire. - Twelve years later burned it brightly again.
From Damerau came the Russian army on Feb 27, 1945
into Neuguth. Of the population, some families fled in time by
railroad. Further small groups have tried the escape over the country
roads shortly before the invasion of the Russians. From these, only
one family reached the rescuing ships
in the Baltic Sea-harbor, the remaining came back hopelessly into their houses.
In autumn 1945, the expulsion began from the homeland. First the
elderly and sick persons; those able to work had to remain behind
almost a year. The second world war demanded more than
70 human-lives from Neuguth, 15% of the 1939 population.
Where are the Neuguthers today? (1975) Approximately 70 families live
Live in the Federal republic, approximately 20 in the GDR. Parts of 12 families
remained in Nowa Wies as Neuguth is called today.
Pictures from Wolfgang Hass.
The Hass family with other people from Neuguth.
The marriage of Cristel Hass.
The Hass grandparents.
Klara Fleichmann and Georg Hass.
A picture from 1920 Neuguth, occasion unknown. The man on the left
is Georg Hass (the teacher). Picture from Wolfgang Hass.
The backside of one of the Toll houses in Neuguth. Picture from Adalbert Mikoteit.
The Neuguth school class of 1928. Photo from the Hass brothers. Their dad was one of the teachers.
Top row left to right: Gertrud Raddatz, Irmgard von Pruski, Hans von
Pruski, Bernhard Kischewski, ?, Kuhn (Abbau), Reinhold Raddatz, Emil
Rahmel, Josef Kuhn, Heinz Rahmel, Alfons Berg, Manfred Lenz, teacher Hieronymus Lenz, ?
2nd row: ? (Neuhof), ? (Neuhof), Benno Krause, Clemens Kuhn, Hans
Ditmann, Paul Günther, ?, Willi Günther, ?, ?, ?, Kuhn, ?,
3rd row: Grete Starsinski, ? Starsinski, Elli Starsinski, Grete
Raddatz, Lieschen Roggenbuck, Else Schülke, Gerda Rakow (Zollhaus),
Olga Sieg, Else Seifert, Fritz Fischer, ?, Kuhn (Abbau), Reinhold
Splett, Ulrich Haß, Teacher Georg Haß
4th row: Martha Gabriel, ?, ? Göbel, Christel Haß, Wilgard Lenz,
Anna Binczik, Martha Zylka, Anna Zylka, Grete Ziemann, Grete
Wollschläger, Lotte Rahmel, Lene Schatlack, Alice Schatlack, Lieschen Vergin,
Front row: Magnus Gehrke, Bruno Vergin, ?, ?, Alfred Korsanke, Hans
Wollschläger, ?, Horst Haß, Gerhard Binczik, ?, Gisbert Lenz.
Family Names in Neuguth