Alonzo P. Raymond  


Compiled by Cleve A. Raymond


“And he shall turn the heart of the children to their fathers.”

Malachi 4:6



Alonzo Pearis (Pearce) Raymond was born 14 Feb 1821 in Bristol, Addison, Vermont.[1]   He was the first of seven children born to his father,  Pearis (Perez) Raymond and his mother, Rebecca Pierce.  In 1825 the family moved to Lincoln, Vermont where  four more children were born.  Louisa, wife of George Barber, was born there, also.  Lincoln is just a few miles from Bristol[2]  (Sharon, Vermont, where Joseph Smith was born, is less than 100 miles away from Bristol.)

“He was the first of his family to join the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day saints.  Shortly after his baptism he was determined to join the saints in Illinois.  His family tried to persuade him not to do so but he left his home as a young man and was in Nauvoo at the time of the martyrdom of Joseph Smith and his brother Hyrum.  He was one of the grief-stricken body of saints who on June 28, 1844, witnessed the never to be forgotten scene when the bodies of the murdered brothers were brought from Carthage to Nauvoo for burial.  He knew the Prophet well and heard him preach on many occasions.  His father and the rest of his family soon joined him and were among those who were driven from Nauvoo by the mob.  They suffered greatly but still remained faithful to the teachings of the Church.”[3]

In 1843 the saints in Nauvoo sent a petition to congress.  It is preserved by the judiciary committee of congress under file number SEN 28A-G7.2   It is entitled “Memorial of inhabitants of Nauvoo in Illinois, praying redress for injuries to their persons and properties by lawless proceedings of citizens of Missouri.”  It reads in part as follows:

To the honorable the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States in Congress assembled.  The memorial of the undersigned inhabitants of Hancock County in the state of Illinois respectfully sheweth:

That they belong to the Society of Latter-Day Saints, commonly called Mormons, that a portion of our people commenced settling in Jackson County, Missouri in the summer of 1831, where they purchased lands and settled upon them with the intention and expectation of becoming honoured citizens in common with others.

The injustices of Missouri are then outlined in three legal-sized pages of small script, as is contained in History of the Church and elsewhere.  The tarring and feathering of Bishop Edward Partridge and Brother Allen, the mob bearing a red flag and declaring extermination to the Mormons if they didn't leave Jackson County, the breaking in of the store of A.A. Gilbert, mob destruction of property, the move to Clay and other counties, the voting scandal of August of 1838, the death of David W. Patten and some eighteen others, the extermination order, and the flight from Missouri are all detailed.[4]

Alonzo P. Raymond and his father, Pearis Raymond both signed this petition.  They are listed as being in “Ward 3, page 11”".


Alonzo received a Patriarchal Blessing at the hands of John Smith on April 28, 1845[5].  (He received another one in Lehi, Utah on Feb. 9, 1860 by John Young.)  I will copy this one verbatim:

“A blessing by John Smith, Patriarch, upon the head of A P Raymond son of Pearis & Rebecca, born Feb 14th 1821, Bristol Vermont

Br Alonzo  I lay my hands upon thy head in the name of Jesus Christ, & seal on thee a fathers blessing; thou hast obeyed the gospel & the Lord is pleased, & Angels rejoice, & he hath innumerable blessings in store for thee; thou art of the house of Levi, but in the day when Israel is gathered, & every man receives his inheritance thine shall be with the sons of Joseph, & thou shalt be blest with every blessing which your heart desires, in due time shall attain to the fulness of the Melchezedec (sic) priesthood, & inasmuch as thou art called to hunt up the remnants of Jacob; thou shalt be prospered in all thy labors, & gather thousands, shall blow the gospel trump to Gentiles, Jews & Lamanites; shall gather together thy thousands by the gift & power of God, for thou shalt be able to do mighty miracles before the eyes of all people, & confound false doctrines, put to shame the priests of Baal, & expose their abominations in the eyes of all people;  thou shalt lead many people to Zion with great stores of riches, & shall have faith to remove every obstacle out of thy way; no enemy shall prevail against thee; thy name shall be had in honorable remembrance to all generations, for thou shalt have a companion to comfort thee, & a posterity which shall stand in authority in the church forever, thou shalt see Zion established in peace & enjoy all the blessings thereof; inasmuch as thou art faithful in thy calling & follow the counsel of the servants of the Lord, these words shall not fail, even so, Amen”

Albert Carrington Recorder


The Nauvoo Temple was finished enough to dedicate it on Sunday, October 5, 1845.[6]  On Monday, October 6, 1845 a general conference was convened.      Church business was conducted; sustaining and releases were done.  Parley P. Pratt, George A. Smith and Brigham Young addressed the people.  The conference session was closed with prayer by W.W. Phelps.  Warren Foote wrote of the days conference: “We went to Nauvoo to attend Conference which was held in the Temple.  The immense room was crowded with eager listeners.  Our persecutions and present situation were dwelt upon by the Twelve Apostles, and there being no prospect for anything better for the future, it was voted unanimously that the Church en masse move from the United States, where we have had nothing but persecution from the beginning, and go to a country far to the west where we can serve God without being molested by mobs.”


According to the “LDS Vital Records Library” Alonzo was baptized on February 7, 1846.  I think this is an error because he was sealed to his first wife, Clarinda Cutler, in the Nauvoo Temple on that date.[7]  The LDS Vital Records Library also lists him as being in the 14th Quorum of Seventies in Nauvoo.

  In consequence of revelations received by their Prophet and colonizer, Brigham Young, the exodus began in early February 1846.

B. H. Roberts records the following in Comprehensive History of the Church:[8]

“The first encampment after leaving the west bank of the Mississippi was on Sugar Creek, in Iowa territory, about nine miles west of Nauvoo.  The cold, attended by severe snow storms, became intense and remained so for some days; and while this facilitated the exodus by enabling many to cross the river on the ice, it caused great suffering in the camps.  Then, too, many left the city ill prepared for life in the wilderness in midwinter.  In many cases their food supplies both for themselves and teams were exhausted in a few days, and they became a burden upon those who had proceeded with better judgment.  Some confusion existed also as the camps had not yet received that efficient organization which characterized them later.  Reflecting upon the sufferings endured at Sugar Creek as the encampment was breaking up, Brigham Young had recorded in his journal these words:

“The fact is worthy of remembrance that several thousand persons left their homes in midwinter and exposed themselves without shelter, except that afforded by a scanty supply of tents and wagon covers, to a cold which effectually made an ice bridge over the Mississippi river which at Nauvoo is more than a mile broad.”[9]


“As the exiles were patient and cheerful in their actual sufferings, so, too, were they moderate, as a rule, in their reports of their trials.  Chief among those reports worthy of all respect is one made by the late President John Taylor who participated in the scenes he describes.  What he says of these matters was in a communication addressed to the saints in England.  In this article, while he dwells at some length upon the sufferings of his people from the fury of the icy chill of tempests, Elder Taylor does not forget to vindicate God, whose part it was to stand very near to his people in such trying times.”  In concluding his remarks on the exposure of the saints to cold and storm, he says: 

“We sustained no injury therefrom: our health and our lives were preserved--we outlived the trying scenes--we felt contented and happy--the songs of Zion resounded from wagon to wagon--from tent to tent;  the sound reverberated through the woods, and its echo was returned from the distant hills; peace, harmony, and contentment reigned in the habitations of the saints.”[10] 

Under the date of Wednesday, May 20, 1846, the following was recorded[11] 

“Nauvoo, Illinois: Major Warren's report appeared in the Quincey Whig.  Among the hundreds still leaving Nauvoo was David Pettigrew (see Note 18 & 19) and family.”  (Probably included Alonzo P. Raymond and his wife.)


After Sugar Creek, Richardson Point, fifty-five miles west of Nauvoo, near a branch of Chequest Creek, and reached by Brigham Young on the 7th of March, became headquarters, and the camp remained at this place until the 19th of the same month, as heavy rains made the roads and swollen streams impassable. The next encampment was on the Chariton river where the leader established his headquarters on the 22nd of March, and remained until the 1st of April.  Thence to an encampment on Locust river, reached by Brigham Young on the 6th of April.  Garden Grove, so named by the saints, was made headquarters of the camp on the 25th of April, about one hundred and fifty miles from Nauvoo.  Mount Pisgah, so named by Parley P. Pratt, became headquarters on the 18th of May; and on the 14th of June, Council Bluffs, on the Missouri, was reached and became headquarters.  The first encampment here was made in the river bottoms, but at the suggestion of the leader the camp was moved back on to the bluffs overlooking the river both because they could there obtain spring water, and be a little further removed from the Omaha Indians, living in the bottoms.[12]

“While yet a young man and before starting west Alonzo married Clarinda Cutler. (See footnote # 4.)  Their first child was born at Council Bluffs, Iowa.  (Recorded as December 1848, I wonder if it was not December 1847) 

While at Council Bluffs, Alonzo became afflicted with what the doctors said was an incurable disease.[13]  He became very despondent over this diagnosis and while sitting down to rest on the side of a road after walking a short distance, he was approached by Heber C. Kimball who, putting his hand on his head, inquired what was troubling him.  He told Mr. Kimball of his illness.  Mr. Kimball asked why he did not join the Mormon Battalion.  This question, of course, seemed to Alonzo to be very foolish in view of his physical condition and so expressed himself.  Mr. Kimball told him to enlist and promised him that he would recover and be able to make that eventful march.  Alonzo accordingly, enlisted in Company “D” and after a few days, during which time he rode in a wagon, he was able to take his place in the ranks of the infantry and the promise was literally fulfilled.  When he reached California he was a strong and vigorous man.  One day as the troops marched along he noticed a comrade who had crawled under a bush unable to go any further.  Since he could not give any help then, he waited until camp was reached when he quickly filled his canteen with water and was able to reach his fallen comrade in time to save his life and bring him into camp.

In the Journal History of the Church dated 23 August 1846 the following is recorded:

“Sunday 23 Council Point, Pottawattamie Nation.  (Iowa side of the Missouri River)

About eleven a.m. the people began to assemble under a bowery, about twenty by forty feet, in the rear of Father Morley's wagons.

Prayer by Elder Orson Pratt.

At 12 o'clock noon Pres. Brigham Young arose to explain the object of the meeting to tell of our location on the other side of the river[14], and our arrangements for living.  President Young said,  We are in two companies, about six hundred wagons.

We give the brethren the privilege of living by themselves, and of attending their own herds; but if they get into difficulty, they must not come upon us for help.  We shall adopt the law of liberty, and all who live up to it will enjoy all the liberty they can ask for, not infringing upon the rights of others.  The principal object of our coming over, it to induce the people here to unite with us in the principles of self preservation, which includes all business matters pertaining to our present salvation.  It is the invisible hand of the almighty that is favoring Israel.

I will tell the people the people here what to do with the means received[15] and if they fail to do it, we shall be released from our obligation to look after them.

There are no people under heaven, of our acquaintance, who would have entered the army under the circumstances our people did.

The Bishop and council here will do you the favor of assisting you in expending your funds, and the privilege of waiting on you till we get you where you want to go.  I will warrant that you will get double the goods for your means by obeying counsel to what you would were you to have the expending of it to be raised by Jonathan H. Hale and Daniel Spencer.[16]

While the High Council retired a few moments, Orson Pratt read a list of letters remaining in the Nauvoo post office, that they might be sent for on the morrow.  Meeting closed.

The presidency and company rode on to the Bluffs, near Mosquito Creek, Dr. Willard Richards excepted; he spent the afternoon in paying small sums mostly to sisters to give them immediate relief.  Mr. Williams Camp took all his money to the amount of Twenty Dollars, notwithstanding, Dr. Richards advised him to leave his money in the hands of the brethren according to counsel.

24 AUGUST 1846

Monday August 24 Near Mosquito Creek.

Pleasant morning.  Dr. W. Richards stayed at Ira Oviatt's and was called up by Pearis Raymond[17] who took twenty dollars for the wife of Alonzo P. Raymond[18] who was present, and wanted all her money as she was capable of taking care of it herself.  (She was apparently living with her parents at the time).  Elizabeth Pettigrew wanted all her money as she was capable of taking care of it herself.  Elizabeth Pettigrew[19] wanted forty dollars[20].  She said she could take care of it herself but the money was sent to Harmon C. Cutler[21]who was not present to receive it, but had counseled her to take all her money.

Forenoon.  President Brigham Young, Elder Heber C. Kimball, Orson Pratt, Wilford Woodruff, and Geo. A. Smith visited at Henry W. Miller's who had purchased the improvements of an Indian chief (subsequently called Kanesville[22]) Dr. Willard Richards and Amasa M. Lyman arrived at noon, when we dined upon green chord, cucumbers, succotash, etc.  After dinner all ate heartily of water and musk melon.

About three, the company left, taking the remainder of a load of melons for the sick and arrived at the liberty pole[23], visited at the tents of Brothers Hunter, Wooley and Phineas Richards and distributed melons.  Dr. Richards visited Sister Jane Richards, wife of Franklin D. Richards, who was sick.

At half past four, the council started to find Daniel Spencer's company;  crossed the Mosquito Creek at the cold spring; north ridge and on to the prairie but could find no road to Spencer's camp.  Traveled northward for Perkin's company but missed the way;  passed a deep ravine, ascended a hill and traveled on 'till about half past seven; found the Brother Perkins sick at the camp in a small grove near a beautiful cold spring where we encamped.  Thunder shower in the night.”


Alonzo left with the Mormon Battalion on 16 July 1846.  His wife's step grandfather, David Pettigrew also joined the Battalion.  He was the oldest member of the battalion at 55 years old and was named the Battalion Chaplain.  He was known as “Father Pettigrew”.  Clarinda had a brother, James Phineas, who also joined.

Clarinda Cutler's mother, Susannah Barton Cutler died 21 Nov. 1840 and was buried at Nauvoo, Illinois.  Her father, Harmon, married Lucy Ann Pettigrew 29 Aug. 1841 at Zarahemla, Iowa[24].  Lucy Ann Pettigrew's father, David, is listed as being in a Stake Presidency called the “Zarahemla Stake”[25] John Smith was the President and the other counselor was Moses Nickerson.  Harmon and Lucy Ann had children born in Council Bluffs, Iowa, in 1844, 1847, 1849, 1852, 1853 (Jan.) And then a daughter, Matilda, is listed as being born on 2 Jun 1853 in West Jordan, Utah[26].  (Obviously, a problem here with the records.)   They stayed in Council Bluffs, Iowa, until Alonzo was able to return from the Mormon Battalion March and come and get them.

This is from The Mormon Battalion, by Norma B. Rictetts[27]:

Two days after the battalion arrived from California, Alonzo P. Raymond and David Pettigrew, along with thirty-two men from the Hancock-Sierra company, whose families were not in Salt Lake Valley, left on October 18, 1847, to go east.

In his autobiography, sixteen-year-old William Pace, who was traveling with his father, describes the beginning of this journey to Council Bluffs, Iowa:

“Provisions being scarce in the valley, we were told we could get supplies at Fort Bridger and at Laramie reasonable, and it would be a great help to the people if we would leave our provisions and replenish on the road.  Having a common interest we unloaded our supplies, taking only what was supposed enough to do us to Fort Bridger ....Arriving at Fort Bridger we found that they had nothing  to sell. Here we were, as it were, over 400 miles to Fort Laramie and nothing to eat.  A council was called, consisting of a committee of the whole (party).  Much time was taken up in trying to decide whether the party in Salt Lake who advised us to leave our supplies and depend on getting more on the road acted from sinister motives, whether we were to go back to Salt Lake and fight it out during the winter with the others, or to go ahead without anything to eat.  However, no one thought for a moment but what we could get what we wanted at Fort Laramie, so it was unanimously decided to go ahead and depend on game.”


They reached Fort Bridger in a severe snow storm and learned the supply of flour they had planned to purchase had been bought by emigrants going to California and Oregon.  While at Fort Bridger, Luther Tuttle bought a buckskin shirt from an old Indian woman, and it was both a shirt and a coat on the cold journey.

They killed two buffalo bulls before reaching Fort Laramie and jerked the rest of the meat.  They ran out of flour they had brought from Salt Lake Valley and existed on buffalo, beef, small game and an elk.

The supply situation - no flour available - was the same when they reached Fort Laramie on November 10th.  Captain Lytle bought one pound of crackers for twenty-five cents.  The trader advised them not to kill any more buffalo, for it would offend the Indians. 

Twelve miles after leaving Fort Laramie, they found an Indian trader on the south side of the Platte River.  Some of the men crossed over and bought one hundred pounds of flour for twenty-five dollars.  With five hundred miles to go, they decided to use the flour (about three pounds per man) to only make gravy or thicken soup.

They ran out of meat in seventy miles.  Since there were many buffalo around, they decided to kill them as needed for food and risk upsetting the Indians.  They killed a bull and a calf.  While skinning the bull, they saw smoke and discovered Indians on the opposite side of the river from where they were.  The men discussed what to do with the meat.  Captain Allred said it would be useless to try to flee because of their worn out animals, so it was decided they would do nothing.  They acted casual as they dressed the meat and returned to their camp on the river.  The Indians disappeared after dark without molesting them. 

One hundred fifty miles below Fort Laramie the men encountered a snow storm that left twelve inches of snow.  From here to Winter Quarters, about 350 miles, they broke trail through snow from one to two feet deep.  Once again, two groups traveled some distance apart. One was led by Pace the other by Lytle.  Lytle's men found the head of a donkey.  It was supposed to have belonged to Sergeant David P. Rainey.  Captain Allred took an axe and opened the skull and he and his comrades had a supper of brains.  Near the same point, Martin Ewell opened the head of a mule also killed and left by Captain Pace's company, with the same results.

When the Pace company arrived at Loup Fork River, several of the weakest horses drowned while trying to cross the river.  They saved the carcasses and ate the drowned horse meat.  The Lytle group caught up with Pace's company at Loup Fork just as Pawnee Indians were threatening to attack Pace's men.  The two groups of armed men apparently caused the Indians to leave without attacking.  They ate the last of their food, which consisted mainly of rawhide “saddlebags” they had packed their provisions in from California.  Their next food was a young mule of Captain Lytle's that gave out.

The cold became so extreme that the Loup Fork River began to freeze over.  They had to wait nearly a week for the floating ice to get solid and thick.  It was here that Abraham Hunsaker, in the hope of procuring corn from an Indian field across the river, took his frying pan full of coals from the fire and started across the ice and went under, frying pan and all.  He poured the water off the coals in an attempt to save his fire.  The fire was his main concern.  Abraham quickly slid the frying pan across the ice to the river bank and then began his fight to get out of the freezing water.  He finally reached the opposite shore, almost frozen.  There he saw in front of him an old rotted stump of a tree he felt Providence must have provided.  He gathered slivers from the  stump, laid them over the coals in his frying pan, which showed no signs of life.  He blew until his breath was almost exhausted; he rested and then he blew again.  Finally he saw a faint glow among the coals and soon had a roaring fire.  He dried his clothes and warmed himself.

Later he filled his frying pan again with coals and went into the Indian corn field.  He saw no Indians for which he was thankful.  By diligent searching, he succeeded in finding a few ears of corn, enough for a feast as it seemed to him at the time.  This he carried to an abandoned Indian wickiup, where he renewed his fire and parched the ears of corn.  He ate until he was satisfied.

That night he slept in the abandoned Indian hut.  The following morning he went again to the corn field, this time to gather corn for his friends.  He had just returned to the hut with a few ears when three Indians appeared looking very forbidding and warlike.  As they stood in the front of him, he though, “This is probably the end.”  Abraham stood tall and tried to look fearless.  The Indians looked at him, grunted, and with a look of disdain on their faces, turned and rode away:

“Perhaps they (the Indians) thought such a skeleton of a man could not long survive anyway, why bother with him.  Yet, I know if I had tried to escape from them, or had shown in any way the fear I felt, they would have taken my life then and there.  Again, my Heavenly Father had overruled in my behalf.”  (Abraham Hunsaker)


The cold continued so intense the river finally froze over and Abraham returned to his group, to be welcomed by his companions, who were near death from starvation and the cold.  They had given him up for dead.  The corn Abraham carried to the men eased their hunger enough to continue. 

On the morning of the sixth day of waiting, the weary traveler decided the ice was strong enough to hold them.  The crossing was treacherous with the ice cracking, but all reached the other side safely.  From this point on the Pace and Lytle groups traveled together.

During the last ten before they reached Winter Quarters, the only food they had was mule meat Captain Lytle had saved to be eaten without salt.  They arrived at the Elk Horn River December 17, 1847.  Winter Quarters was only thirty miles away.

Alonzo after the Battalion March.
Alonzo after the Battalion March.
The next morning they left early and arrived in Winter Quarters about sundown on December 18th.  They had made the journey from Salt Lake Valley to the Missouri River in two months.  Some of the company found their families in Winter Quarters, while others were in Council Bluffs or Mt. Pisgah.  The soldiers, although respectable, were unavoidably dirty and ragged, yet they found a warm welcome from their people and Mormon authorities.  Their four-thousand mile journey was over.

When Levi McCullough, who was in this group, reached Winter Quarters, he was informed by a friend that his wife and two year-old daughter had died.  His other children were living with different families.  McCullough and his two traveling companions were offered food and shelter for the night by the friend.  Later that evening one of McCullough's sons arrived and, looking at the three men, asked: “Which one of these ragged men is my father?”

            The following account is from the personal history of Alonzo of unknown origin in possession of Cleve Raymond:

After a short stay in California he (Alonzo) received his discharge from the army and with others made preparations to join their families in the valley of the Great Salt Lake.  This journey was not made without subjecting them to great dangers and hardships.  Upon arriving in Salt Lake he found that his family had not yet come with the company.  He therefore set out at once to join them at Council Bluffs, Iowa.  (For details of the trip to Council Bluffs see footnote 21)  He found them all well but anxious to be on the way across the plains.  The next year he brought his family over the memorable route and arrived in Salt Lake City in 1848.  Here another child was born (Susannah).  They then moved to West Jordan where another child (Harriet) was born.  From here he moved to Lehi where he lived for some time.

 This is taken from a history of Midvale written by Maurine Jensen:[28]

“Alonzo Pearce Raymond was born at Bristol, Vermont February 14, 1821, a son of Pearis and Rebecca Pearce Raymond.  He was the first member of his family to join the LDS Church, and after his baptism he went to Nauvoo to be with other members.  He married Clarinda Cutler in Iowa.

Suffering ill health, he was assured by Heber C. Kimball that if he joined the Mormon battalion he would make the march to Mexico and be in good health.  He made the march and after his release in California, he and his friends set out for Utah on foot.  They nearly starved in the Nevada desert, but finally arrived in Salt Lake City in 1847.  His family had not come with the first pioneers so he set out at once to rejoin them in Council Bluffs.  In 1849, he brought his family to salt Lake City, where they lived until the fall of 1851 when they moved to the east side of the Jordan River.  They were the first settlers of what is now Midvale.

Clarinda Cutler was born in Amboy, New York in 1827 to Harmon and Susanna Barton Cutler.  When they crossed the plains in 1849, she carried their first child in her arms.(Mary Elizabeth)  Her second child, Susannah Rebecca, was born in Salt Lake City, and her third, Harriet, on the Jordan River in 1852.  They later moved to Lehi”.

This is from The Encyclopedic History of the Church: [29]
East side of the Jordan, looking up east towards the hill.
Looking east from a position between the river and the hill, from the south side of the road that runs east and west through Midvale and West Jordan.
© Copyright 2001, Robert Raymond.
East side of the Jordan, looking down towards the river
Looking west towards the Jordan from a location just north of the road that runs east and west from Midvale to West Jordan, about midway between the river and the hill. This photograph was taken in 2001 and retouched to show how the scene might have looked in 1852.
© Copyright 2001, Robert Raymond.

“Among the first settlers who located in the district later comprised in Midvale Ward was David Pettigrew of the Mormon Battalion, who together with Alonzo and Wallace Raymond[30] and their families, settled in 1851 on the east side of the Jordan River, about a mile west of the present Midvale 1st Ward meeting house.  They were followed in the fall of 1852 by Harmon and Royal Cutler and William Bird with their families”.


This is from an account gathered by the 6th grade in Midvale, Utah [31]

“ Among the first settlers who located in that district of country now included in Midvale were David and Emily Pettigrew who, together with Alonzo and Clarinda Raymond and several children settled on the east side of the River Jordan between the river and the hill on the east at a point about one mile west of the present Midvale First Ward meeting house and immediately north of the road that runs east and west through Midvale and West Jordan.  The river forms the boundary line between the two towns.

According to the best recollections of the earliest settlers, the Pettigrews and the Raymonds were the only families who spent the winter of 1851-1852 in the Jordan River Valley east of the Jordan River.  In the fall of 1852, Royal and Harmon Cutler with their families settled near the Pettigrews and Raymonds on the same side of the river.  The Harmon Cutlers were among the Mormon exiles who were forced away from Nauvoo, Illinois by the mobs in the year 1846.  They came west as far as Council Bluffs where they remained until the summer of 1852 when they started for Salt Lake Valley.  On their arrival they settled on the Jordan River.  Harmon Cutler's wife was Lucy and Royal Cutler's wife - Theda.  With them came Josiah Arnold.  Another early settler was William Bird who with his wife, Eliza, located near the first settlers mentioned on the east side of the river”.

Alonzo and Clarinda moved to Lehi sometime before 21 May 1854.  They had a child, Lydia, born there on that date.

No election was held in Lehi in 1858.On the date of February 14, 1859, an election was held.  The tithing office was the scene of the election. Ezekiel Hopkins, William Hyde and William Fotherington were judges and Thomas Taylor as clerk.  The people chose the following men to be civic leaders:  Mayor - David Evans, Aldermen were named.  Alonzo P. Raymond was named as a councilor.  Alonzo P. Raymond was also named as a “Field Committee” member.  This committee was one of the extensive system of offices which the early city fathers deemed essential to the successful maintenance of the government.”[32]

Alonzo received a second Patriarchal Blessing while living in Lehi, Utah.  He received his first one in Nauvoo on April 28, 1845. (See footnote # 4) This one was given by John Young on Feb. 9, 1860.[33]

Feb. 9, 1860 Patriarchal Blessing given at Lehi, Feb. 9, 1860 by John Young, upon the head of Alonzo P. Raymond, born Feb 14, 1821 in (Bristol) Addison County, Vermont.

Brother Alonzo, I lay my hands upon your head to bless you and confirm upon you all former blessings.  I bless you in the name of Israel's God and say you shall be blest in your outgoings and incomings, and in as much as you will trust in the Lord, your feet shall always stand in sure places though Satan has tried to overthrow you.  The Lord Almighty as his fostering hand over you and he designs you shall do a good work upon the earth; be blest in flocks and fields, in families and be a blessing to your Father's house.  All the blessings promised to the faithful house of Abraham I confer upon you because you have embraced the gospel with a desire to live the life of the righteous and be saved in the kingdom of God.  Satan shall not be able to turn you from the right path, neither shall wicked men decoy you or lead you astray; you shall rise and shine with your posterity upon the mountains of Israel; assist in the great work when your Fathers shall sleep; receive the fulness of the priesthood.  In the own due time of the Lord you shall stand in defense of the cause in which you are engaged.  You may have to go and declare the words of eternal life to those that are in darkness and in the shadow of death.  You can live on the earth to gather to the centre stake of Zion, assist in the building the house of the Lord; assist in gathering Israel, have power to control your enemies.  You shall always have power to avoid the enemies grasp; and you shall know their plans and plots.  Notwithstanding you may have to pass through strange places, yet you shall always be delivered.  Do a good work.  The graces of the Holy Spirit shall be upon you, have power to administer to the afflicted of your own family and government, and control yourself aright.  Be of good cheer and you shall overcome and enter in through the gates into the city; be clothed upon with the Priesthood and with holy garments to administer for the restoration of your forefathers who have died for the gospel of salvation.  These blessings you shall enjoy if faithful and I seal them according to the holy order that is revealed to seal for earth and bind for heaven, all you desire you shall obtain on conditions of obedience to the holy commandments.  I seal you up to the day of redemption, to life and exaltation in the cause of our Father, in the name of the Lord, Jesus Christ, Amen 

John U. Long, Reporter, L.A. Long, Recorder


Taken from Lehi Portraits of a Utah Town[34]

Numerous Lehi men in the late 1850's and 1860's volunteered to assist in various Indian engagements and to help immigration efforts into the territory.  Early on the morning of 8 March 1858 the rapid beating of the community signal drum called Lehi men to the Meeting House.  Volunteers were requested to rescue embattled Mormon colonists at Fort Limhi on the Salmon River in Idaho.  One man who was there and volunteered was George Barber.[35] 

From Our Pioneer Heritage[36]: 

About this time President Young sent Peter Maughan and family to a valley called Cache in the northern part of the state.  Lehi being overcrowded with people, a number of families determined to move to this valley which is some one hundred miles north.  Several families left Lehi the 1st of April 1860 for Cache Valley.  One man paid Peter Maughan $40.00 for twenty bushels of seed wheat which was to be delivered in Wellsville, Cache Valley.  Most of the families used ox teams as there were few horses available.  They arrived at Fort Wellsville on April 17, 1860.  William Hyde, Robert Fishburn, Thomas Winn, George Barber (and probably Alonzo P. Raymond), Samuel Taylor and others were in the company.  They camped on the river bottom and in the evening attended their first meeting in Cache Valley in a small house where William Maughan had been presiding for some six months.  “They had an excellent meeting.”[37]

Alonzo and Clarinda had a child, “Louisa”, born in Lehi 18 Jan 1860 but it was blessed in Smithfield, Cache, Utah 15 Jan 1861. 


The following is from the History of Brigham Young[38]:

Elders Hyde and Benson called at the Historian's office and T. Bullock wrote an account of their mission to the northern settlement to be published in the Deseret News.  “There are 150 families now in the different settlements in Cache Valley and others are going daily.  Elders Hyde and Benson organized a stake with six branches in Cache Valley and gave names to different settlements.  On their return they preached in all the settlements from Brigham City to Great Salt Lake City; also held conference in Ogden City with John Taylor and Lorenzo Snow.

Elders Hyde and Benson represent the country in Cache Valley to be very fine, equal to any in the territory.  Good crops of wheat have been raised there the last season.  An estimate was made before harvest, and it was thought that 8000 bushels of wheat would be raised, but when the threshing was all done, it was found that 12,000 bushels had been raised.”

This account appeared in the Deseret News with the heading “Organization of the Cache Valley settlements” G.S.L. City, Nov. 28, 1859

On Tuesday the 10th (November 1859) at about 11 oclock a.m. pursuant to instructions received from the Presidency of the Church, we proceeded to Cache valley, seventy five miles north to organize the settlements. 

A president was duly elected by the people, to preside over all the branches and Wards in that valley.  Six Bishops were also ordained and set apart to act in their calling, in their several Wards.  Twelve men were elected by the people to form a High Council and were set apart to their office.  A proportionate number from each Ward was elected by the people of those Wards, that an equal representation might be given in the High Council, as nearly as we could ascertain.

We found about one hundred and fifty families there, and more continually arriving; houses in every state of progress, from complete comfortable log cabins down to the logs on wagons being hauled from the kanyon. (Sic)

We labored faithfully in every settlement.  The place heretofore known as Maughan’s Fort we named Wellsville.  Spring Creek settlement being situated in an elbow of the mountains and appearing to us somewhat of a providential place, we named Providence.  The next settlement northward had been previously named Logan.  The settlement on Summit Creek six miles north of Logan we named Smithfield, and told the people there to be spiritually what their location really was- a city on a hill, that could not be hid.

For beauty of landscape and richness of soil, Cache Valley can hardly be equaled; yet its altitude being considerably greater than that of Great Salt Lake Valley, renders it liable to deep snows and severe frosts, which may admonish the settlers there to provide plenty of forage and sheds, barns, etc. for the preservation of their stock.

(Much more was written which will not be included.)[39] 


The following appeared in Journal History of the Church dated 7 Jun 1860:

These are some excerpts from remarks given by Brigham Young in Wellsville, Cache, Utah on 7 Jun 1860:

“What to say in a short time when so many ideas present themselves, is somewhat difficult to decide.

The gospel of salvation, which is an astonishment and a stumbling block to the world, is true.  They seem not to know what conclusion to come to.  The journeyings of the Latter-Day Saints and their communications one with another and with the world are astonishing to the people.  They wonder what causes us to gather into these valleys, in the mountains what causes us to become one; to hearken to the voice of one man - to be controlled, dictated, and governed by one individual.  This is marvelous in the eyes of the world, but is it marvelous in your eyes, brethren?  Were there no other proof than the oneness exhibited in the midst of this people, that alone is enough to condemn the world.  That oneness cannot be found anywhere else.  It is produced only in the hearts of the Latter-Day Saints, and is not manifested in any other community.  No other people will pick up such portions of their substance as they can, and travel thousands and thousands of miles; fathers and mothers leaving their children, husbands leaving their wives, wives leaving husbands, children leaving their parents, brothers and sister leaving each other--after this “strange delusion” as it is called, and, when they are gathered, hearkening to one man. ........

How many have moved here this spring, I know not.  Some have gone to Carson Valley, and a great many have come here.  And, as I told the brethren last night, a part did not seem to care much, if at all, which way they went, and had written on their wagons “To Carson or Cache Valley, we don't care a d--n which” Are such satisfied with themselves?  No, nor with anything nor anybody around them.

I will say to you, my brethren, those of you who are from the eastern states or from England, Scotland, Wales or Ireland .... that you have a far better country here than you had in your native land.  You have a beautiful valley, though some of you, perhaps, are discouraged.  Perhaps some will not live here because they have to irrigate the ground, or because they have to go into the mountains for wood....... 

Some may feel a little discouraged because their cattle will not live here without being fed mor or less during the winter.  How many are there in the mountains of Europe that would be thankful for a privilege to go out to the sides of these mountains and make a little garden by packing soil from the bottoms?  Thousands in the old country obtain their living in that way....

Though many have moved here this Spring with but limited supplies or provisions, how many do you think I could count in this congregation who go hungry day by day?  Do you think there is even one person who has not as much as he can eat, at least as often as once a day?  These are temporal things, but over which the devil causes many to stumble.  Go to your native lands in foreign countries, many of you, and ask men there who are thirty years old, and probably women too, “How often in your lives have you had all you wanted to eat?”  “Never!”  You may find thousands who could tell you that they never saw a day in which they had all they wanted to eat.  Are there such times in cache Valley?  No!  Is there anything connected with this locality that should discourage you?  No!  Reflect and ask yourselves whether you have the least cause for complaint in the exchange of your countries......

When we came here thirteen years ago this summer, Jim Bridger said to me, “Mr. Young,  I would give a thousand dollars if I knew that an ear of corn could be ripened in these mountains.  I have been here twenty years and have tried in vain, over and over again.”  I told him if he would wait a year or two we would show him what could be done.....

This is a splendid valley and is better adapted to raising Saints than any other article that can be raised here......

He went on to tell them to build good houses, make farms, set out fruit trees, berry bushes and build up and adorn a beautiful city.  He warned them to stay closer together and build forts against the Indians.  “We do not wish to hear of any of you being killed.” ........

We have come to pay you a visit for we wanted again to see Cache Valley. ...  We wished to see you and to have you look at us.  Do you think we are Mormons?  “Yes!”  Some of you saw me and others of the brethren in England and what do you think of us today?  Do we talk to you as we did in other countries?  Is Mormonism as good to me as it was then?  “Yes!”  And every year I am in it, it is better, because I learn and understand more of the dealings of the Lord with his children on the earth; more of the design in the organization of the earth, in its being peopled, and what the Lord intends concerning its future.  All these things are before us.

I will not detain you, for I purposed speaking but a short time, to tell you that I feel as well as I ever have.  My spirit is full of joy and comfort, and I feel to bless you all the time, and to pray for you continually, and day by day to bear you in my faith before my Father in Heaven.

 I long to see a people pure and holy, and to be so myself - to see the day when sin and vile corruption will cease on the earth. .....”

           Excerpts from a talk given by Margaret Sant at a Pioneer Meeting held at the home of Rebecca Pitcher on July 8, 1914[40]:

          “The sisters have requested me to tell them how we lived and what we did here when Smithfield was first settled.  I will do the best I can, after so  many years have passed.

          Summit Creek (before it became “Smithfield) was first settled in the fall of 1859 by John G. Smith, Dudley & Virgil Merrill, Robert & John Thornley, Seth & Robert Langton, Marshall Hunt, Ira Merrill, (and others)

          In the spring of 1860 a good many more settlers came here from different parts of Utah and there was a ward organized with John G. Smith as Bishop and Samuel & Dudley Merrill as councilors; thus the name of Smithfield was given in honor of the first Bishop.

          The people were camped around in different places until the Indian trouble on July 23, 1860. ....When Ira Merrill was killed and his brother Hyrum was wounded as well as Samuel Cousins, and one man named James Read from Franklin was killed and Arthur Cowan was wounded.  These two men were camped near the creek when the Indians passed them and killed the one and wounded the other.  Ira Merrill was the first one to be buried in Smithfield, and James Read was the first one to be buried in Franklin. ......

          We were all camped close together; four rows of wagons.  We did our cooking, such as we had, by campfires outside of the wagons.  We camped in this way for over two weeks and the Indians did not come back.  However, the men all took turns guarding the camp both day and night. 
Typical Pioneer Home of Fort Days
Typical Pioneer Home of Fort Days.
President Young then sent word for all the settlers to make forts to protect themselves.  The fort line was then laid out and all the people moved their tents or wagons to where they were going to build and great care had to be taken for fear of the Indians coming upon them unawares.  When the men went to the canyons they went in a company, all armed, and it was the same when they went to the fields to look after their crops.  When the men got the logs from the Canyon and were ready to build, the brethren would help one another—first  putting up one house and then another.  Some of the men who were good hands at building log houses were kept very busy.  Some of them were: E.R. Miles Sr., Alonzo P. Raymond, George Barber, (and others).  When the houses were built there were no shingles so willows were laid close together and covered with grass and dirt. ......

          We had to make our own soap out of animal fat and ashes from the fireplace.  We had to carry our water from the creek as there was no water works at that time.

          Thomas Richardson & William Douglas were the first to start a store in Smithfield.  That was a great blessing to the people here.

          The first (flour) mill was built and owned by Alonzo P. Raymond ....The first saw mill was built and owned by Dr. Ezra G. Williams and his nephew, Mr. Brunson, but they did not live here long and sold out to Brother Raymond.  The Doctor practiced while he was here and was a good, kind man.  (He attended Clarinda Cutler Raymond when she died)  After he left, the people had to do the best they could.”


The following is taken from a history of Alonzo P. Raymond written by Helen Price Hyde of Bannock, Idaho.[41]

“In 1854 the Raymond family was living in Lehi, Utah, where Alonzo P. was fence supervisor and inspector.  Here, four children were born: Lydia - 21 Mar 1854, Alonzo - 24 Oct 1857, Louisa - 18 Jan 1860 and James - Sep 1862.  Lydia lived only a few years.  At the time or shortly after the birth of James, mother Clarinda passed away.  James died in infancy.  Clarinda died 24 Sept 1862 and was buried in Smithfield, Utah.

Smithfied Fort 1860-63In 1860 Alonzo Pearce Raymond became interested in the progress of Cache valley.  He bought a home in the Smithfield Fort[41a] from a Mr. Brunson and also Brunson's interest in the saw-mill.  In 1863 Alonzo owned and operated a shingle mill and was a partner in the grist mill.  All these were located on Summit Creek, now called Smithfield Creek.

Like most pioneer settlements, Smithfield Saints had a home in the village and also farm land out from the settlement.  When the fort was abandoned in 1863, the Raymond family moved to their home in the 300 block on North Main Street. (?)  (I think it was 3rd North and 3rd East.)  Busy with the saw and shingle mills, the grist mill, as well as caring for the family, Alonzo also found time to assist in community activities.  He was elected and served as a city councilman in 1868.”


Notes from George Barber Diary[42]:


Reached Utah in Oct 1851 with John Browne Company

Lived in SLC for a year and then moved to Nephi.  Married Adeline Hatch

In 1855 (26 Jan) I married Louisa Elizabeth Raymond. (Sister to Alonzo.)

In 1856 I was called on a mission to Fort Supply (Green River) Wyoming

In 1858 I moved to Lehi, Utah

In 1860 moved to Cache County and settled in Smithfield.

Feb 26, 1861 - Alonzo George is four years old today

Page 9 Apr 3rd 1861 Weather pleasant.  Helping Alonzo Raymond haul brush; hunting a cow.

Sun. Jun. 30 1861 Going to Ogden to visit a trading expedition; got as far as Plain City and stayed with Wallace Raymond.  (Wallace is brother to Louisa and Alonzo.  See footnote # 23)

Page 20 Sat. Aug 17th 1861 Hunting cattle in company with Alonzo P. Raymond.  In the afternoon watering corn and potatoes.

Sun. Sept 1, 1861 Weather cool.  Attended meeting in the forenoon and in the evening in company with Alonzo P. Raymond (and others) went down to Hyde Park on business.

Sat.  Oct 12, 1861.  Got several Shoshone Indian squaws to help dig potatoes.  Dug and hauled 30 bushel.

Page 26 Thurs. Oct 31.  Traveled to Plain City and put up with Wallace Raymond.  Found Alonzo P. Raymond there waiting for me to help him drive his sheep home.

Fri.  Nov 1, 1861.  In company with Alonzo, went down to Salt Creek about three miles distance and gathered up about 10 bushel of nice salt.  

Sun. Nov 3rd 1861 Cloudy and cool.  Had considerable trouble to find my cattle this morning which detained me some time.  Got to within about 3 miles ol Logan and encammpt about 7 p.m.  Had to watch the sheep until about an hour before daylight and found all well.  Employed today unloading, etc.

Page 30 Dec 25, 1861.  Still stormy.  This is Christmas Day and the prospects at presents are not very flattering for a Merry Christmas. 

My folks and Alonzo's got up an excellent dinner and invited a few friends to partake with us.  About noon several of us concocted a plan to get a party at the school house.  We succeeded and enjoyed ourselves about right until about 12:00 p.m. returning home highly gratified with our evenings amusements.

Jan 1st 1862 Raining part of the day.  My folks in connection with Sister Raymond got up a dinner and invited a few friends.  We enjoyed ourselves first rate during the day and in the evening was pleasantly entertained at a New Years party at the school house.

Mon. Jan 6th 1862 Foggy and cold.  Separated my sheep from Alonzo's today.  Working on a sleigh.

Tues. Jan 20th, 1862 Louisa taken very sick today.

Wed 21st.  Administered to Louisa several times today. 

Sat.  Jan 24th 1862 Louisa in much dread of her disease.  Settled in her breast.  Very painful.  Baby Albert a little better.

Thurs. 29th Jan 1862 Louisa's breast lanced by Dr. Williams.  Little Albert still very weak.

(Several entries about baby Albert getting worse and nothing they could do about it)

Mon.  Feb. 24th 1862 Anxiously watched over little Albert all night.  Fully realizing the feeling on an anguished parent over their dying child ...Morning dawns and our beloved child is still no better.  We plead to our Heavenly Father who can still raise him up.

Fri.  Mar 28th.  At 11:00 p.m. he breathed his last.  This I can truly say was a relief as his suffering was now over and his soul is at rest.

Page 44 Sat. Apr 5th 1862 Weather pleasant. Sent my cattle home with the Smithfield herd and hunted over the range 'till about noon for Alonzo's stock.  Found 2 head and returned with them about sundown.

Page 56 Tues. Sept 23rd, 1862 Sis. Raymond (Clarinda Cutler Raymond) taken sick last night.  Her life is despaired of this morning.  Rode to Logan to get Dr. Dilly to assist Dr. Williams in a surgical operation on Sis. Raymond but could not prevail upon him to come.  Returned and Sis. Raymond had delivered a still-born child which had to be taken by force.

Wed.  Sep 24th 1862.  Sis. Raymond still worse with little hopes of her recovery.  Superintended the funeral for the baby and assisted Bro. (Alonzo P.) Raymond all I could in his affliction.  About 11:15 p.m. his beloved partner died leaving him with five children to mourn her loss.  (The children were: Mary Elizabeth, born 29 Dec 1849 in Council bluffs, Iowa, Susannah Rebecca, born 31 Jan 1850 in Salt Lake City, Ut., Harriet, born 18 Jan 1860 in Lehi, Ut.,  Alonzo Jr. born 24 Dec. 1856 in Lehi, Ut.)  (Alonzo Sr. later married Zilpha Noble on 3 Jun 1863.  They had 12 children.  He married Elizabeth Hillyard on 3 May 1868, (polygamist) and they had two children, one of whom was Alma Raymond[43].)

Page 57 Thurs. Sept 25th 1862 Cool and cloudy   Busy all day arranging for the funeral which took place about sunset. 

Page 60 Sat 8th Nov 1862   Weather pleasant ...Loaded up 1000 feet of lumber (to trade for salt) and got ready to start down to Plain city.  Adeline arrived home about 3 p.m. from Lehi and was heartily welcomed by us all having been away on a visit about six weeks.  Started about 12 p.m. for Plain City.

Tues 11th Nov 1862... Exchanged my lumber for salt which is much needed in the settlement.  Loaded up and got ready to take an early start for home.

Wed.  12th Nov. 1862 Cloudy and threatening rain.  Started for home about 3 a.m. in company with A. P. Raymond family.  Encampt in Lake Valley

Thurs. 13th Weather cool   Reached home about noon.

The following comes from a microfilm copy of “Record of Members of Smithfield First Ward - Early to 1877":

.......After a short absence the committee returned and presented the following names:

For Mayor - George Barber; for Councillors - Andrew A. Anderson, Preston T. Moorehead, Alonzo P. Raymond, Robert Pope and Edmund Homer; for Justices of the Peace - Jeremiah Hatch and Andrew J. McCombs.  The above persons were put before the meeting singly and sustained by vote to be elected at the next election.

(Other business was discussed and then the meeting was dismissed by (Bishop ?) S. B. Merrill with J.S. Cantwell, clerk signing it.)[44] 


This record comes from The History of Smithfield, Published by the City of Smithfield 1927[45]:

Persuant to special notice of the Hon. William Hyde, Judge Probate for the County of Cache, Utah Territory, and in accordance with an act of the Territorial Legislator, approved February 6th A.D. 1868, an election was held May 20th A.D. 1868, for the purpose of electing municipal officers under the charter for the city of Smithfield.

Honorable      George Barber was elected   Mayor
Honorable A.A. Anderson


      "         P.T. Moorehead


      "         A.P. Raymond


      "         Edmond Homer


      "         Robert Pope


Honorable Andrew McCombs Justice of the Peace
Honorable Jeremiah Hatch Justice of the Peace


June 8, 1868     Monday evening, the Mayor elect and members of the city council, for the City Smithfield, Cache County, Utah Territory met at the house of George Barber in said city, for the purpose of consumating the municipal organization of said city.

Present -  George Barber, Mayor Elect, Andrew A, Anderson, Preston T. Moorehead, Alonzo P. Raymond, Edmond Homer, Members Elect of the city council: The meeting was called to order and opened with prayer by George Barber.  Justice McCombs then proceeded to administer the oath of office to the Mayor and Councillors.  (Other items that I did not include)[46] 

The following appeared in the Deseret News on June 11, 1869[47]:



The Deseret Telegraph Company opened an office for the receipt and dispatch of messages at this thriving settlement on the 9th of June 1869.  Miss Raymond has been appointed operator.  The tariff from Salt Lake City to Smithfield has been placed at the extremely low rate of fifty cents for ten words.  The exceedingly low charges made in this company, for sending messages on their lines north and south, should obtain for it a most liberal patronage from our citizens.”


This item was published on Sept. 29, 1934:


One of the first persons to operate a telegraph line in Utah, Susannah Raymond Homer, 84, wife of the late William H. Homer, Sr. died yesterday at 11 a.m. at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Rose H. Widstoe, 382 Wall Street.  (Ogden, Ut.? ).  Born in Salt Lake City, Jan. 31, 1850, a daughter of Alonzo Pierce Raymond and Clarinda Cutler Raymond, Mrs. Homer had charge of the first telegraph station in Cache Valley.  She and her husband celebrated their 63rd wedding anniversary, Feb. 28, 1933.  Mr. Homer died in January of this year.




Alonzo was active in doing temple work.  The following is a partial list of names he submitted for baptisms in the Logan temple in April of 1927[48]:

Baptisms for the dead




Alonzo bought 20 acres from his wife, Elizabeth Hillyard.  This is a copy of the deed with his signature on it.  Original deed is in possession of Cleve Raymond.

Alonzo P. Raymond deed with signature




Certificate filled out by Alonzo P. Raymond when he was 78 years old.[49]

Alonzo P. Raymond, Utah Pioneer Jubilee

We are not sure if Alonzo lived here or not. We think he did in the original log portion. The address was 3rd North and 2nd East in Smithfield, Utah


This is a continuation of the history written by Helen Price Hyde (see Note # 40)


On 30 Jun 1863 Alonzo Pearce Raymond married Zilphia Noble in the Endowment House in Salt Lake City.  In obedience to the law of plural marriage, Alonzo married

Elizabeth Hillyard Thompson, a widow, in 1869.


Alonzo and Zilphia were the parents of 12 children, eight boys and 4 girls.  The names and birth dates are as follows: William Goodwin - May 1864, Ephraim - Jul 1866, Zilphia Clarinda - Sep 1868, Laura Pricilla - Sep 1870, Perris - Dec 1872, Abigail - Aug 1874, Wallace - Jan 1877, Aquilla- Aug 1879, Mary Ann - Mar 1882, Sylvanus (twin) Oct 1884, Sylvester (twin) Oct 1884, Frank Lester- May 1887.


Alonzo and Elizabeth Hillyard Thompson had two children , Zilphia Amelia - Mar 1869, and Alma - 3 Jun 1871.


Alonzo died on 14 Aug 1904 and is buried in the Smithfield, Utah Cemetery.

[1]Research done by Susan Easton Black. Fische 6031596 #68

[2]Ancestral File - Family Group Record - FHL - SLC, UT

[3]History of Alonzo Pearis Raymond in possession of Cleve A. Raymond

[4]The Nauvoo Journal- January 1989 Vol 1, Number 1 Call # 977.343/N1 FHL

[5]Patriarchal blessing given by John Smith, Patriarch on April 28, 1845.  Recorded in Vol.                 9, p. 107 page 337 of typescript.

[6]Saints in Exile by David R. Crockett pp 7 & 10

[7]Nauvoo Temple Endowment Register - Fourth Company - February 7, 1846.

[8]Comprehensive History of the Church p.40

[9]Ibid p.46

[10]Millinnial Star, Viii, Nos. 7 & 8

[11]Saints in Exile by David R. Crockett p. 326

[12]Comprehensive History of the Church by B. H. Roberts p. 50

[13]Treasures of Pioneer History pp 513-514

[14]The Nebraska side.  Cutler's Park was founded there on 9 August 1846 (Pioneers and Prominent Men of Utah, p. 1309) The site for Winter Quarters was selected on 11 September 1846.  On the 17th the council made the official decision to move there from Cutler's Park.  Brigham Young and many others moved back on the 23rd. (Rich, Ensign to the Nations, p. 90.)

[15] Members of the Mormon Battalion received uniform allowance plus $3.00 per day.

[16]The Church sent Parley P. Pratt to Fort Leavenworth, who received five to six thousand dollars of their pay.  The church used this money to buy wagonloads of supplies at wholesale prices from St. Louis.  (Stegner, The Gathering of Zion, pp. 82-82)

[17] Pearis Raymond was Alonzo's father.  Pearis died the next month, September 1846, near Mosquito Creek.  He probably died of malaria.

[18]Clarissa (Clarinda) Cutler was Alonzo's wife.  She is the daughter of Harmon and Lucy Ann Cutler and granddaughter of David and Elizabeth Pettigrew.  Clarissa, (Clarinda) was born 9 Jan 1827 in Oswego, Amboy, N.Y. She was sealed to Alonzo in Nauvoo Temple on 7 Feb 1846 and died in Smithfield, Cache, Utah on 24 Sep 1862.

[19] Elizabeth Pettigrew was the wife of David Pettigrew who served in Company E of the Mormon Battalion.  David was the battalion chaplain and at the age of 55 was the oldest member of the battalion.  As previously mentioned, Alonzo married Elizabeth's granddaughter, Clarinda Cutler.

[20]Elizabeth was asking $40.00 instead of $20.00 because her husband, David, and her son, James Phineas, were both serving in the battalion.  James served in Company D along with Alonzo P. Raymond.  I think they took the money because she and Clarinda were planning on staying in Council Bluffs until their husbands returned from the battalion march to get them.

[21]Harmon Cutler was Elizabeth Pettigrew's son-in-law, having married Elizabeth's daughter, Lucy Ann Pettigrew.  Harmon was Alonzo's father-in-law.

[22]First called “Miller's Hollow.”

[23]The community flag pole.  This may have been the one on the Mosquito River at the site of the mustering of the Mormon Battalion.  (Carter, Heart Throbs of the West, Vol. 10, p. 281.)

[24]The Nauvoo Journal Vol 3 Oct. 1991 # 4 p. 123 (Call # 977.343/N1 H25n)

[25]Reference Book for Nauvoo Family History and Property Identification pp. 225, 226.

Call # 977.343/N1 K 2r (I think)

[26]Listed as “West Jordan, UT”, but was in Midvale, Utah, on the border between towns.

[27]The Mormon Battalion by Norma Baldwin Ricketts Call # 973 M2rnb Pp 180-183

[28]Midvale History 1851-1979 by Maurine C. Jensen.  Call # 979.225/M2 H2m FHL

[29]The Encyclopedic History of the Church p 498

[30]William Wallace Raymond was Alonzo's brother.  He was born in Bristol, Addison Vermont on 26 Mar 1824. (Three years younger than Alonzo.)  He married Clarinda Cutler's sister, Almira, on 6 Dec 1848 in Council Bluffs, Iowa.  Remember, Clarinda is Alonzo's wife.  Wallace and Almira had twins born on the Loup Fork River in Nebraska on 12 Jul 1852.  They had a son, William Wallace Jr. born 28 Mar 1854 in Lehi, Utah.  They then had a child, Almira , Born 13 Nov 1856 in Plain City, Weber, Utah, where they stayed.

[31]The Story of our City Midvale, Utah Compiled by 6A Midvale Elementary School.  Call # 979.2 A1 # 71 FHL:

[32]Lehi, centennial History 1850-1950 p.99Call # 979.224/L1 H2f

[33]Patriarchal Blessing given by John Young to Alonzo P. Raymond on Feb. 9, 1860.  Recorded in Vol. 27, p. 767 and signed by John U. Long reporter and L.A. Long, Recorder.

[34]Lehi, Portraits of a Utah Town by Richard S. Van Wagoner 1990 Call # 979.224/L1 H2v p 10

[35]George Barber married Louisa Elizabeth Raymond.  She was Alonzo's sister.  George and Louisa got married on 26 Jan 1855 in Salt Lake city.  They had a child born in Greenriver, Wyoming in 1857 and then one born in Lehi, Utah in 1859. 

[36]Our Pioneer Heritage, Vol 4. P 253


[38]History of Brigham Young, Journal History of the Church Monday, 28 Nov. 1859

[39] Ibid

[40] Full text of talk is in possession of Cleve A. Raymond

[41]History of Alonzo P. Raymond, written by Helen Price Hyde in Jan. 1967, of Bannock, Idaho.  It is on file with the Daughters of Utah Pioneers Museum in Salt Lake City, Utah.  Cleve Raymond has a copy of it.

[41a]The map of the Smithfield fort and the picture of a typical house in the fort are from History of Smithfield, written by Leonard Olson in 1927.

[42]Notes from George Barber Diary.  Original in Joel E. Ricks Collection, Vol. 5 at USU in Logan, Utah.  George Barber married Louisa Elizabeth Raymond 26 Jan 1855 in Salt Lake City.  Louisa was Alonzo's sister.

[43]Alma Raymond was born 3 Jun 1871.  He was the father of Wickliff Clayton Raymond who was the father of Cleve A. Raymond.

[44]Record of Members of Smithfield First Ward - Early to 1877, Film # 0025611 in FHL in SLC, Ut.

[45]On microfilm in FHL, SLC, Ut. # 237862 Item 2

[46]The History of Smithfield, Published by the City of Smithfield, 1927

[47]Journal History 9 June 1869

[48]Baptisms for the dead.  Film # 183532 page 1094

[49]Book of the Pioneers 1847-1897 Vol 2 p. 132 (Film # 497713 FHL)

Sunday, 22-Feb-2004 22:54:27 MST