Descendants of Ludwig Grimm
Ludwig Grimm III,
came to the United States from Darmstadt, Germany in 1849.
He was possibly born in Arnshain, Germany, according to his passport.
Ludwig's wife is unknown, but she died prior to the passage to America.
He traveled with his four children, Anna Catherine 17, Catherine 15,
Elizabeth 12, and Henry 10.
The family settled in Baltimore, Maryland and can be found on the 1850 & 1860 Census.
Anna Catherine married in Maryland, but it is unknown what happened to Catherine and Elizabeth.
Ludwig died 15 May 1892, unknown location.
Henry Grimm served in the Civil War with the 8th Battalion, District of Columbia, 3 month troops.
In 1864 he returned to Europe and married Marie Suter in August 1865 in Zug, Switzerland.
The couple returned to the United States, where Henry learned the cabinet-making trade, and for a
time worked for the New York Central Railroad in Albany, New York.
He also worked in a cabinet shop at Martinsburg, West Virginia, and in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.
Henry settled his family in Lancaster County, Nebraska around 1876/77. While paying for his
farm he worked for the Burlington & Missouri Railroad.
Generation No. 1
Generation No. 2
1. LUDWIG1 GRIMM III He married UNKNOWN.
Children of LUDWIG GRIMM and UNKNOWN are:
2. i. HENRY GRIMM, b. 03 January 1839, Hesse-Darmstadt, Germany; d. 28 March 1921, Lancaster County, NE.
3. ii. ANNA CATHERINE GRIMM, b. Abt. 1832, Hesse-Darmstadt, Germany.
4. iii. ELIZABETH GRIMM, b. Abt. 1837, Hesse-Darmstadt, Germany.
iv. CATHERINE GRIMM, b. Abt. 1834.
2. HENRY GRIMM (LUDWIG1) was born 03 January 1839 in Hesse-Darmstadt, Germany, and died 28 March 1921 in Lancaster County, NE. He married (1) MARIE SUTER 1865 in Zug, Switzerland. She was born 20 April 1844 in Bern, Switzerland, and died 09 October 1914 in Lancaster County, NE. He married (2) LUCY E. STUART 22 May 1917.
Children of HENRY GRIMM and MARIE SUTER are:
i. MARY GRIMM, b. 04 April 1878, Lancaster County, NE; d. 14 November 1952, Lincoln, Lancaster County, NE; m. CLARENCE VICTOR REDDISH; b. 09 August 1879, Lancaster County, NE; d. 16 July 1938, Lancaster County, NE; they had 6 children.
ii. ANNA GRIMM, b. 10 April 1868, Martinsburg, WV; d. 06 July 1950, Lancaster County, NE; m. ALFRED FELIX STEINHAUSEN, 11 February 1891, Lancaster County, NE.
iii. HENRY GRIMM, b. 18 February 1870.
iv. ELIZABETH GRIMM, b. 13 June 1873, Lancaster County, NE; d. 13 July 1958, Mt. Pleasant, Iowa; m. PAUL PRESTON KAUFFMAN, 25 December 1895.
v. LOUIS GRIMM, b. 23 October 1875.
vi. EMMA GRIMM, b. 28 September 1880, Plattsmouth, NE; d. 22 March 1933, Lancaster County, NE; m. EDOM SITTLER, 23 December 1902.
vii. WILLIAM GRIMM, b. 15 May 1883, Lancaster County, NE; d. 17 September 1914, Lancaster County, NE; m. HAZEL PEARSON, 18 May 1913, Lancaster County, NE.
viii. ELLA GRIMM, b. 02 November 1884.
ix. GERTRUDE GRIMM, b. 16 January 1890.
3. ANNA CATHERINE2 GRIMM (LUDWIG1) was born Abt. 1832 in Hesse-Darmstadt, Germany. She married FREDERICK ADOLPH KOGELSCHATZ in Baltimore, MD, son of JOHANN KOGELSCHATZ/KOGELSCHADT and DOROTHEE KLEINHAUS.
Children of ANNA GRIMM and FREDERICK KOGELSCHATZ are:
i. HENRY J. KOGELSCHATZ, b. Unknown.
ii. J. WILLIAM KOGELSCHATZ, m. AGNES A. TANNER; b. 25 October 1874, Ontario, Canada.
iii. LOUIS W. KOGELSCHATZ I, b. 15 August 1857; d. 20 June 1931, Martinsburg, WV; m. ELLA ELIZABETH FAYMAN; b. Germany.
iv. ADOLPH FRED KOGELSCHATZ, JR., m. FLORENCE B. JENKINS; b. 18 April 1872, Winchester, VA; d. 03 September 1948.
v. ANNA KATHERINE KOGELSCHATZ, b. 23 April 1866, Baltimore, MD; d. 27 March 1944, Hagertown, MD.
vi. CHARLES KOGELSCHATZ, b. Abt. 1872; d. 20 June 1945.
4. ELIZABETH2 GRIMM (LUDWIG1) was born Abt. 1837 in Hesse-Darmstadt, Germany. She married ? KOGALSHADT (KOJHELSHOTZ).
Child of ELIZABETH GRIMM and KOGALSHADT (KOJHELSHOTZ) is:
i. ANNA (KOJHELSHOTZ).
Looking for the ship Ludwig Grimm and children came in on. According to his passport, which was good for six months,
he would have traveled between 7 May 1849 and 7 November 1849.
Looking for where Ludwig lived after Baltimore, where he died, and his wife in Germany and any other marriages in the United States.
I would like to know what happened to Catherine and Elizabeth after they arrived in the United States.
Looking for the family of Marie Suter.