A short distance from the ioad on the left, stands a large building, erected under the direction of the county magistrates, as a county lunatic asylum. This benevolent institution was raised at the expence of the county; to which that never failing source of revenue, the river Weaver, materially contributed. It occupies, with its gardens, airing grounds and roads, ten statute acres of land, which was purchased from the late.Revr. Sir Philip Egerton, Bart. The terms for maintaining lunatic paupers belonging to the county are 7s. 6d. per week; and - those beyond its limits, l0s. The unfortunate inmates of a higher class are provided, for by special agreement. Present number of lunatics in the house between fifty and sixty. The plan of the building (for which see the accompanying plate), prepared’ by. W. Cole, jun. Esq. County Architect was selected by the county magistrates from,a variety of others that were submitted for their consideration (and to it was awarded the first premium), which, with little or no variation, has ieen carried into effect. The contractor war Mr. W. Quay, of Neston, who has given complete satisfaction in the execution of the work. The building is of brick, with dressings of stone; it was commenced in the month of March, 1827, and completed for the reception of patients in September 1829.—a very short period considering the extent of the undertaking. Ll. Jones M.D. is the physician, Mr. W. Rose, medical superintendant, and Mrs. Bird, matron of-the institution.
Go to Main History Contents Page