NameJames Joseph DEASON , GGGG Grandson, M
Birth1876, Moliagul, Victoria, Australia, (24674)
Death4 September 1950, Cohuna, Victoria, Australia, (20459)
Burial5 September 1950, Cohuna, Victoria, Australia
FatherJohn (John Jenkins) DEASON , M (1829-1915)
MotherCatherine McANDREW , F (1836-1921)
Spouses
Birth1880, Sandhurst (Bendigo), Victoria, Australia
Burial10 December 1975, Cohuna, Victoria, Australia
Death7 December 1975, Parkview Private Hospital, Malvern, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, (28464)
FatherJohn THOMAS , M (~1839-1896)
MotherEllen BAKER , F (1847-1936)
Marriage19 April 1901, Wesleyan Church, Albany, Western Australia, Australia, (1584)
ChildrenRonald Robert , M (1910-1984)
 Max , M
 Geoffrey , M
 Pauline , F
Notes for James Joseph DEASON
More About James Joseph DEASON:
Occupation: Blacksmith
Probate: has probate (Source: Probate indexes.)

Marriage registration: 1901/1584/Albany.4

The following is from Greg Campbell’s tree:
James Joseph (Jim) was born in 1876 at Moliagul From 1864 to 1869 the Deason family had lived at Bulldog Gully, Moliagul where James’s father prospected for gold and farmed land in partnership with Richard Oates. At some stage, soon after the discovery of the Welcome Stranger nugget in 1869, the family moved to the farm called The Springs, just outside Moliagul.

James (Jim) spent his childhood at The Springs until late 1888 when financial difficulties forced John (senior), Catherine, and the two youngest boys, John Edward (Jack) and James Joseph (Jim), to seek work in Melbourne and let out The Springs.

By about 1890/1891 John and Catherine moved back to The Springs.

James’s brother, John Edward Deason, detailed his life story in a letter he wrote during the period 1937-1938 to his son, George, then living in London, and posted 26 January 1938. (See entry for John Edward Deason for full transcript).

Around the late 1880s John recorded in his letter that his parents, John & Catherine Deason, let ‘The Springs’ and with the two youngest sons (John Edward & James Joseph) moved to Footscray, Melbourne where John Edward worked for the Braybrook Implement Company (later Sunshine Harvester Company) and James found work with a blacksmith.

John continued in his letter, noting that the letting of ‘The Springs’ was not a success and that his parents had to return to the farm. John did not mention as to what happened to his brother, James. Did he stay on in Melbourne or did he return to Moliagul with his parents?

What is known is that John, together with ‘two pals’ from Bendigo set-off for Western Australia in 1895 and proceeded to the goldfields of Bonnie Vale, near Coolgardie. They remained there for 21 months before all three returned to Bendigo. John, alone, returned to Western Australia in 1898, this time going to the Kalgoorlie-Boulder goldfields.

John’s letter went on to explain how he intended to marry but that he did not have the money to return to Bendigo and so his younger brother, James (Jim), brought Louisa Anne Opie out to Western Australia. John (‘Jack’) married Louisa (‘Annie’) when she arrived at Albany in 1900. (Note: date and ship not yet identified). (Further research required – identify incoming passenger ship).

Whether James (Jim) met his future wife, Florence (‘Florrie’) in Albany or whether she accompanied him on the trip from Bendigo along with Louisa (‘Annie’) Opie, or arrived later, is not known. (Further research required – identify incoming passenger ship). However, in 1901 James married Florence Thomas in Albany, Western Australia. Their marriage notice appeared in the Bendigo Advertiser 18 May 1901:
DEASON – THOMAS On the 19th April at the Wesleyan Church, Albany, by the Rev R Dunstan. James Joseph, youngest son of John DEASON of Moliagul, to Florence Emily, second daughter of the late John THOMAS of Long Gully, Bendigo.
Note: John Thomas is probably the person whose death was registered, 1896, Long Gully, age 57 years, son of Thomas Thomas and Susan Owens.

Florrie’s parents, John and Ellen, had 7 children,,:
• Ellen Mary Thomas – born 1867, Vaughan, Victoria, died 1867, Vaughan, Victoria
• Susan Elizabeth Thomas – born 1868, Vaughan, Victoria, died 1959, Cohuna, Victoria
• John Owen Thomas – born 1873, Vaughan, Victoria, died before 1936, probably Western Australia
• David Ernest Thomas – born 1878, Sandhurst [Bendigo], Victoria, died 1958, Bendigo, Victoria
• Florence Emily Thomas – born 1880, Sandhurst [Bendigo], Victoria, died 1975, Malvern, Melbourne, Victoria (see main entry this page)
• Thomas James Thomas – born 1884, Sandhurst [Bendigo], Victoria, died 1964, Brighton, Melbourne, Victoria
• Ellen Mary Thomas – born 1886, Sandhurst [Bendigo], Victoria, died 1961, Cohuna, Victoria

The 1901 and 1906 Commonwealth Electoral Rolls noted John James’s [sic] occupation as: “blacksmith”; Florence as: “housewife”; and their residence: 2-mile, [Albany, WA] , .

In 1906 James and Florence boarded the ship, Runic, at Albany, arriving Melbourne 24 May 1906. James noted as a “farmer”.

By 1909 James and Florence had moved to Moliagul. The 1909 Commonwealth Electoral Roll noted James Joseph’s occupation as: “blacksmith”; Florence Emily’s as: “home duties”, and their residence: Moliagul.

James was one of 17 residents (including his brothers, Henry and Alfred) who requested, 28 August 1909, that Edward Jones, the current Moliagul Head Teacher, be retained. They were unsuccessful and a new Head Teacher was appointed.

They were still in Moliagul in 1914. The 1914 Commonwealth Electoral Roll noted James Joseph’s occupation as: “engine-driver”; Florence Emily’s as: “home duties”, and their residence: Moliagul.

About this time James is known to have purchased at least 3 blocks of land in Moliagul:
- Allotment 6, Section B – 3 acres, 1 rood, 7 perches, title issued 16 June 1913;
- Allotment 1, Section A – 2 acres, 1 rood, 7 perches, title issued 24 February 1915; and
- Allotment 5a, Section A – 0 acres, 2 roods, 26 perches, title issued 8 December 1915.
The first allotment was situated on the Moliagul-Dunolly Rd, about 0.5 kilometre south of Moliagul and adjoining James’s brother Henry’s land. The other two allotments were situated about 0.5 kilometre to the west.

James (recorded as “John J Deason”) served on the Moliagul School Committee from 1913-1916.

For whatever reason, James was admitted to Mt Alexander Hospital, Castlemaine, on 10 January 1915. The hospital record noted:
Born: Victoria, married, occupation: blacksmith, residence: Castlemaine, result: cured, religion: Methodist.

In 1916, the family probably moved to Landsborough, some 30 kilometres west of Avoca, Western Victoria, as son, Ronald’s school records note him leaving Moliagul State School for Landsborough State School in late 1916.

By 1919 the family had moved to Koroop, a small farming settlement some 20 kilometres east of Kerang in north-central Victoria. Both the 1919 and 1924 Commonwealth Electoral Rolls noted James Joseph’s occupation as: “farmer”; Florence Emily’s as: “home duties” and their residence: Koroop, .

By 1931 the family had moved to the Melbourne suburb of Malvern East where they lived in the former home of James’s nephew, John Deason. The 1931 Commonwealth Electoral Roll noted James Joseph’s occupation as: “blacksmith”; Florence Emily’s as: “home duties” and their residence: 88 Brunel St, [Malvern East] .

James attended his brother, Henry’s, funeral at Moliagul, 21 June 1932. The obituary noted him as “James Gilbert (Malvern)”. Note: no other reference has been found of James being called “James Gilbert”.

In 1933, James noted 88 Brunel St, Malvern East as his address on his will (dated 27 July 1933) together with his occupation – “blacksmith”. The family were still there in 1937. The 1936 and 1937 Commonwealth Electoral Rolls noted James Joseph’s occupation as: “blacksmith”; Florence Emily’s as: “home duties”, and their residence: 88 Brunel St, [Malvern East] , .

At some stage, James used a piece of the Welcome Stranger as pendant on a gold chain which was given to Florence (Florrie). It is likely that this piece was handed down to his son Ronald and, later, to James’s grand-children.

Later, James and Florence lived in Cohuna (near Koroop) and were there when Florence’s sister, Susan, came to live with them around 1936. They were still there in 1949. The 1942 and 1949 Commonwealth Electoral Rolls noted James Joseph’s occupation as: “engine-driver”, Florence Emily’s as: “home duties” and their residence: Market St, Cohuna, . After James’s death in 1950 Florence remained in Cohuna. The 1954 Commonwealth Electoral Rolls noted, Florence Emily’s occupation as: “home duties” and her residence: Market St, Cohuna. However, at some stage she moved back to Melbourne; probably to live with her son, Ronald.

Florence may have been living at Brunel St, Malvern East, at the time of her death in 1975 as this was the address noted on her will (dated 19 February 1965). However, Florence is also noted in 1975 as living with her son, Ronald, at 16 Olive Ave, Mt Waverley, Melbourne, Victoria.

Florence’s death notice stated:
On 7/12/1975 at Parkview Private Hospital, East Malvern, loving wife of late James Joseph, loved mother of Ronald, mother-in-law of Floss, loving grandmother of Geoffrey, Max, Gillian, Pauline and David, great-nan of Darren, Brett, Philip, in her 96th year.”

James and Florence were buried in the Methodist section of the Cohuna cemetery, grave # 31/11.


Acknowledgements:
• Rick Smith, Launceston Tasmania, Australia
• Joyce Tuohey, Quambatook, Victoria
• Billy Warburton, Melbourne, Victoria (via Joyce Tuohey & Mavis Coghlan)

General references:
• Rick Smith, 2005, Deason Family Tree, (ref – D_Doc_#136)
• Billy Warburton, 1969, Deason Family Tree, (ref – D_Doc_#014 & #015)
• Joyce Tuohey, c1940, Deason Family Tree, (ref – D_Doc_#016 & #017)
• Phoebe Cutting, 2008, Thomas family Tree (ref - D_Doc_#240)
• Victorian Birth, Death and Marriage indexes – 1855-1920, extract Greg Campbell, May 2001, for Deason (ref – D_Doc_#106)
• Victorian Death indexes – 1921 -1985, extract Greg Campbell, 2005, for Deason (ref – D_Doc_#104)
• The Age, 9 December 1975, Death Notices, Florence Emily Deason - D_Doc_#381)
• Victoria, 1931, Electoral Roll Sub-division of Malvern East, pps 36-37 (ref - D_Doc_#241)
• Public Records Office, (Vic), 2008, 2009, Index to Unassisted Inward Passenger List to Victoria 1852-1923 (ref-D_Doc_#196)
• Western Australia – Passenger arrivals – 1829-1960, listing compiled Greg Campbell, from multiple sources, August 2008, for Deason (ref – D_Doc_#237)
• Public Records Office (UK), 2008, Passenger lists leaving UK 1890-1960, extract from www:findmypast.com (ref – D_Doc_#249)
• Western Australia – Marriage indexes 1906-1965
• Western Australian (newspapers) marriage indexes – 1897-1920
• West Australian (newspaper), death & burial indexes – 1906-1911
• Western Australia - Birth, Marriage, Death & Burial records – 1900 to 1988, listing compiled Greg Campbell, from multiple sources, February 2008, for Deason (ref – D_Doc_#130)
• John Edward Deason, 1938, Letter to George Wilfred Deason – Family History, (a story of his life in Victoria & Western Australia) (ref – D_Doc_#190)
• Genealogical Society of Victoria, 2003, Goldfields Hospital Admissions 1860-1920, extract 6 April 2006, Deason for Castlemaine Hospital (ref – D_Doc_#091)
• Commonwealth Electoral Rolls – 1901 & 1906 (Albany, WA), 1909 & 1914 (Dunolly, Vic), 1919 & 1924 (Kerang, Vic), 1931, 1936 , 1937, 1942, 1949 & 1954 (Malvern East, Vic), 1942, 1949 & 1952 (Cohuna, Vic), extract for Deason (ref-D_Doc_#290)
• Land Titles Office (Vic), 1931 & 1946, Land Titles Maps, Moliagul (3 maps) (ref – D_Doc_#376)
• Moliagul State School No 746, 1914-1970, Pupils’ Register (ref – D_Doc_#279)
• Bill Humphreys, 2009, Moliagul School A Second Innings, p 19, 116
• Author unknown, 1932, Obituary – Mr Henry Jenkins Deason, Moliagul, article in Dunolly & Betbetshire Express, newspaper, late June 1932, (ref- D_Doc_#357)
• Public Records Office, Victoria, 2008, Queen’s Memorial Infectious Diseases Hospital Register, extract 4 November 1935 (ref – D_Doc_#244)
• Phoebe Cutting, 2008 & 2009, Correspondence
Notes for Florence Emily (Florrie) (Spouse 1)
Florrie’s parents are John THOMAS (c1839-1896), born about 1839, Bristol, Gloucestershire, England, died 15 March 1896, Long Gully, Bendigo, Victoria, Australia and Ellen BAKER (1847-1936) born 15 April 1847, Launceston, Tasmania, Australia, died 13 December 1936, Long Gully, Bendigo, Victoria. They were married 4 December 1865, Castlemaine, Victoria and initially settled at Vaughan, Victoria before moving to Bendigo, Victoria. They had 7 children:
• Ellen Mary Thomas – born 1867, Vaughan, Victoria, died 1867, Vaughan, Victoria
• Susan Elizabeth Thomas – born 1868, Vaughan, Victoria, died 1959, Cohuna, Victoria
• John Owen Thomas – born 1873, Vaughan, Victoria, died before 1936, probably Western Australia
• David Ernest Thomas – born 1878, Bendigo [Sandhurst], Victoria, died 1958, Bendigo, Victoria
• Florence Emily Thomas – born 1880, Bendigo [Sandhurst], Victoria, died 1975, Malvern, Melbourne, Victoria (see main entry this page)
• Thomas James Thomas – born 1884, Bendigo [Sandhurst], Victoria, died 1964, Brighton, Melbourne, Victoria
• Ellen Mary Thomas - born 1886, Bendigo [Sandhurst], Victoria, died 1961, Cohuna, Victoria
Last Modified 17 December 2013Created 20 January 2016 using Reunion for Macintosh