To Bottom of Page

Back to Area Churches

Back to Homepage



Our Lady of Good Help Chapel



Chapel Photos on bottom of page.


     This is an informational story concerning Sister Adèle Brice and the Chapel of "Our Lady of Good

Help;" in Robinsonville, Brown County, Wisconsin, U.S.A.


     Marie Adèle Joseph Brice was born in Dion-le-Val, province of Brabant, Belgium, on 30 January 1831, and received her early education at Mieux.  She was the daughter of Lambert and Marie Katherine (Pierard) Brice.  Throughout her childhood she was known for her piety and kind heart, and had a great devotion to the Blessed Virgin Mary.  She desired to dedicate herself to the services of God.  She had planned to enter a convent in Belgium, when her parents decided to leave for America.  Because of the insistence of her parents and advice from her pastor she went with her family.


     Lambert and Katherine Brice, with their three daughters and one son, Adèle, Espérance, Isabella,

and Vital; left Belgium on June 9, 1855, aboard the ship “Schmidt”.  After an uneventful voyage of seven weeks

they landed at New York on July 7,1855, and immediately went west to Green Bay, Wisconsin.

On 7 August 1855, Lambert and Katherine Brice purchased two hundred and twenty acres of land in the

Town of Red River, Wisconsin, U.S.A.; for the sum of one hundred and twenty dollars.


     Pioneering always means suffering, loneliness, and poverty.  It requires daring and initiative.  The

suffering of the Belgian Immigrants was unbelievable.  Not being used to providing for harsh northern winters,

their homes were completely unfit.  Made roughly of Logs and brush, the cracks in the walls and roofs freely

admitted the harsh winter winds; and there floors were nothing more than the ground itself.  Besides the

starvation; they faced the danger of freezing.


     Life for the women was not one of luxury and ease.  Along with their daily chores of cooking, cleaning,

making the families clothing, and taking care of the children; they had to work in the fields, preparing the soil for

planting with the most primitive hand tools, carrying grain on their heads to the mill a distance of many miles,

and preparing shingles for the market.


     Even so the pioneers had great optimism, and self reliance.  They looked upon the hardships as a

challenge.  In 1854 every little log house was crowded with new arrivals.  However with the arrivals came the

deadly disease of Asiatic Cholera.  Many of the new emigrants died and among them the hospitable hosts.  It was

a horrendous disease.  Strong men apparently well at night, would be found dead in the morning, their faces

turned black and their eyes sunk into their sockets.  Most of the victims were buried back in the woods, usually

without coffins and without the rites of a church burial.  Several years went by before they changed their

methods of burial.  Until they were provided with cemeteries of their own, men had to carry the dead in hand-

made coffins, many miles to Bay Settlement for a Christian burial.


Because of these harsh conditions many settlers had become careless in the practice of the faith and

became Perverted in morals.  The settlers were so engrossed in clearing the land and making a meager living that the younger generation received little or no religious instruction.  This lack of religious training gradually began to show in the perverted morals of the young.  Because of their grave need for religious guidance this may be the reason for divine favor.  The following is Adèle's own narrative in the words of Sister Pauline La Plant to whom she had often told her story, and who in turn has recorded it for prosperity.  (The original manuscript of this account of Sister Adèle written by Sister Pauline is preserved in the archives of the Sisters of Saint Francis of Bay Settlement.)


It was in the early part of October that Adèle saw our Blessed Mother for the first time.  Reverend

William De Kelver told me that it was in 1858.  Adèle was going to a small grist mill about four miles from here

with a sack of wheat on her head.  She was following an Indian trail that passed here where the Chapel now

stands.  The trail led towards Dykesville and branched off to Bay Settlement.  At that time this was all a

wilderness.  As she came near the place where the Chapel now stands, she saw a lady all in white standing

between two trees, one a maple and the other a hemlock.  Adèle was frightened and stood still.  The vision slowly

disappeared leaving a little white cloud after it.  Adèle continued on her errand, and returned home without

seeing anything more.  She told her parents what had happened, and they wondered what it could be; maybe a

Poor Soul who needed prayers.


On the following Sunday she had to pass here again on her way to Mass at Bay Settlement which was

the nearest place she had to attend Mass, and that was about eleven miles from her home.  Despite the great

distance or the inclemency of the weather, Adèle would never miss Mass on Sunday.  This time she was not

alone, but was accompanied by her sister, Isabella, and a Mrs. Theresa Vander Niessen.  When they came near

the trees the same lady in white was at the place where Adèle had seen her before.  Adèle was again frightened,

and said as a reproach, "Oh, that Lady is there again!"  Adèle had not the courage to go on.  The other two did

not see anything, but they could tell by Adèle's looks that she was afraid.  They thought it must be a Pour Soul

that needed prayers.  They waited a few minutes and Adèle told them that it was gone.  It had disappeared as

the first time, and all she could see was a little mist or white cloud.  They went to Mass and Adèle went to

confession, and told the priest how she had been frightened at the sight of the lady in white.  He bade her not to

fear, and asked her to speak of it out of the confessional, and so she did.  Reverend William Verhoeff told her

not to be troubled, that it would not harm her, and that if it were something from God she would see it again,

and not to be afraid, but to ask in God's name who it was and what it desired of her?  After that Adèle had more

courage.  She started homeward with her two companions and a man who was clearing land for the Holy Cross

Fathers at Bay Settlement.


When they came near this place, Adèle's heart beat fast for this time through the trees she could clearly

see a beautiful lady all clothed in dazzling white, with a yellow sash around her waist.  Her dress fell to her feet

in graceful folds. She had a crown of stars around her head, and her long wavy golden hair fell loosely over her

shoulders; such a heavenly light shone round her that Adèle could hardly look at her sweet face.


This time Adèle was not frightened, but was filled with joy and peace.  As soon as she came near

enough, she knelt and spoke as the Father had advised her to do.


"In God's name, who are you and what do you desire of me?"


Our Blessed Mother answered, "I am the Queen of the Heavens, who prays for the conversion of

sinners, and I wish you to do the same."  She continued in her soft, sweet voice, "You were at Holy Communion

this morning?"


"Yes, dear Lady," answered Adèle.


"You have done well, but I wish you to do more.  Pray for nine days. Go and make a general confession,

and offer your Holy Communion for the conversion of sinners.  If they do not convert themselves, and do

penance, my Son will be obliged to punish them."


In the meantime her companions were anxious to know to whom she was speaking.


"Who is it, Adèle?" they inquired. "Is it a Poor Soul from Belgium, or who is it?"


Adèle told them to kneel because the Lady said she was the Queen of the Heavens.  one of the women

commenced to cry and lament saying, "Oh, why are we so unhappy not to see her as you do?"


Adèle saw our Blessed Mother turn and look kindly at the women and say, "Blessed are they that believe

and do not see."


Then turning to Adèle she said, "What are you doing here in idleness, while your companions are

working in the vineyard of my Son?"


Adèle answered weeping, "What more can I do, dear Lady?"


"Teach the children," replied the Lady.


"How shall I teach them who know so little myself," said Adèle.


"I do not mean the science of the world; teach them their catechism, that they may know and love my

Son; otherwise the people here will lose their faith," answered the Lady.


"With God's grace, and the help of your intercession I promise, dear Lady, to be faithful to what you bid

me," answered Adèle.


"Go and fear nothing. I will help you," replied the Lady.


Then our dear Mother raised her eyes and hands heavenward, and slowly rose upward, surrounded by a

light smokelike incense.  The last Adèle saw of her was as if she were asking a blessing

on those that were kneeling at her feet. Adèle saw nothing more, but fell on her face in a faint.  Her companions

tried to soothe and revive her.  The man went to a little creek nearby to wet a cloth and fetch her some water.

As soon as she came to herself, they walked on toward home and because Adèle was still weak they rested at the

first house to which they came.  The people were all astonished at the news.  Most of them believed it, but some

thought she was out of her mind.  It was not long, however, before Adèle, faithful to her promise, commenced to

gather the children about her and to instruct them in their religion.


Shortly afterwards her father, Lambert Brice, built a little log chapel ten by twelve feet near the place

of the apparition.  As a young girl I knelt in the dear little chapel, and sang with Adèle her favorite hymn in

French; "Chantons le nom admirable de la Reine des Cieux," or "Let Us Sing the Praises of the Admirable

Name of the Queen of Heaven."


Sister Adèle used to go from here to Little Sturgeon and gather the children together and instruct them

in all that was necessary for their First Holy Communion.  Then she would bring them to Bay Settlement to

Father Daems who would admit them to their first Holy Communion.  I remember as a child, she would come

with her little band of children to Bay Settlement, and kneel at the foot of our Lady's altar, and sing with them

sweet hymns to our Blessed Mother in French.  Adèle had a sweet voice and possessed a charm that drew the

young to her.  I would kneel behind her and listen with a burning desire to follow her, but had not the courage

to leave my dear Mother that I loved next to God for she was my all as my dear Father died when I was a child

of three.  After my dear Mother died, May 11, 1863, I visited Adèle oftener, but it is always a pleasure to look

back to my first visit to the dear little chapel, when there was only a small log chapel ten by twelve, and only a

small picture of the Immaculate Heart of Mary pinned on the wall.  This picture was given to Adèle by her

confessor, Reverend William Verhoeff, who had great regard for her.


For seven years Adèle continued to gather the children around her for religious instructions, but in

1864 Reverend Philip Crud advised her to ask the people to help her build a home, so that they could come to

her instead of her going to seek them.  He also advised her to induce other girls to join her as he thought it was

our Blessed Mother's desire that she should start a community of Sisters that would continue her work after her

death.  So she did.  Some girls came to her aid, and they did accomplish a great deal for thousands of children

have been instructed by Sister Adèle and her helpers.  I think she commenced in a farm house with a few



One thing more must be said about good Sister Adèle.  She often told us how grieved she was to leave

Belgium because she intended to join some Sisters to whom she had gone to school when she made her First

Holy Communion.  She and five or six of her age had promised our Blessed Mother at their First Holy

Communion that they would become religious and go to distant countries to instruct poor children.  The other

girls followed their vocations.


In the fifties, Adèle's parents took the notion to come to America, but would not hear of her staying back.

She prayed and begged them to let her remain to become a Sister, but her Mother said it would cause her death if

she did not come with them.  So Adèle went to the priest and asked what to do.  He told her to mind her parents

and that later on, if God so willed, she could become a Sister in America, and he promised to pray for her.  So

poor Adèle had to come to America to help and cheer her parents, who though poor were good God - fearing

people.  That was why Adèle felt so sorry when our Blessed Mother said to her, "What are you doing here in

idleness when your companions are working in the vineyard of my Son?"


So many times we would gather around Sister Adèle and have her tell us of the apparition of our Blessed

Mother.  She would always tell in the self-same way how she saw her twice without our Blessed Mother saying a

word, but that the third time she spoke to her, and gave her the message of instructing the children in their

religion lest they should lose their faith.


I shall never forget my last meeting with Sister Adèle.  We went into the chapel and prayed. I can still see

the calm, serene, and happy look on the face of the good Sister as if a light from Heaven shone upon her.


Dear Sister had a great deal to suffer from some misunderstandings, especially from some of the clergy;

but all this was to make her feel that this is not our true home, and she took it in good faith.  I never heard her say

an unkind word against them.  She was always charitable and obedient.  Her work prospered and she did a great

deal of good.  So she continued her loved mission until on July ,5, 1896, aged 66, her beautiful soul returned to

its Maker.

Dear Sister Adèle, from your happy home above remember us. SISTER PAULINE.


        In 1861, because of the increasing number of pilgrims to the shrine; it became necessary to build a new

larger chapel.  Sister Adèle went seeking help from the settlers.  Mrs. Isabella Boyen gave five acres of land

which included the holy site.  Her father Lambert Brice erected a framed chapel twenty-four by forty feet. 

The place took on the name "La Chapelle."


      The first procession on the Chapel grounds happened when Adèle obtained a hand - carved statue of the

Blessed Virgin, from Belgium.  When the statue arrived in Dyckesville on the "Denessen Steamer," it was carried in triumphal procession to the Chapel amid prayers and hymns.  This was the wish of Adèle; because of the fact that it was a Belgian custom.  The procession is terminated by circling the Chapel grounds and then placing the statue in the Chapel.


     This statue later burned; as a result of lighted candles, and a new one was purchased by the settlers.


     After seven more years of Adèle traveling from place to place to teach and help the children; Adèle

appealed to the people for help in building a convent and school.  They responded and the buildings were built

near the Chapel.  When the school was completed it served as a boarding and day school for both boys and girls.


     During this time devout young women came in answer to Adèle's appeal for helpers.  They adopted the

religious garb, and followed the rule of the Third Order of Saint Francis, but did not take the vow.  For many

years the Chapel flourished.


     On 8 October 1871; great tragedy befell the Peninsula of Wisconsin; and in doing so seeded what many

believe is the greatest miraculous event to happen at the Chapel.  Twelve years; almost to the day when the

"Queen of Heaven" said?  "If they do not amend their lives and convert themselves, my Son will be obliged to

punish them;" the tragic event known as the Peshtigo fire arrived.  All throughout the year a great drought

happened upon the land.  Rivers, streams, ravines, and many wells, dried up.  Many forest fires had been burning

for weeks and months.  Then on that fateful Sunday night came a terrible, ten-fold wind came from the southeast

and fanned the smoldering fires into a mighty wave of fire, sending the whole peninsula into a raging sea of fire

and smoke.  It was said that the black sky itself burst into great clouds of fire.  The fire sent all living creatures

wild beasts as well as men fleeing in terror.  At first the roaring blaze thundered among the tree-tops, but as it

gained ground, it sounded like the distant roar of the sea with it's thunderous fury, mingled with a tornado of fire.


     A survivor's written account states that if you could imagine the worst snow storm you ever witnessed,

and each flake was a coal or spark of fire driven before a terrifying wind, you would have an idea of the

conditions at the time the fire struck.


     Hundreds of families were driven from their homes.  After seeing their buildings swallowed by the fiery

monster, they began running wildly for means of escape.  Many being overtaken by the rain of fire.  The fire

raged on both sides of the bay of Green Bay.  From as far south as Manitowoc to the northern tip of the

peninsula, stopping at "Deaths Door".  It engulfed the Counties of Outagamie, Kewaunee, Door and Brown.

The Townships of Humboldt, Green Bay, New Franken, Casco, Brussels, Rosiere, Lincoln and Robinsonville,

along with many others.  Nothing could be done to stop its rampage.  The Chapel in Robinsonville was laying in

its path.


     Adèle and her companions were determined not to abandon Mary's shrine; and their faith in Mary never faltered.  The Children, Sisters, farmers and their families drove their livestock in the direction of Mary's sanctuary.  They were now encircled by a raging inferno with no means of escape.  At this point the entire area was one vast sea of fire.  The Chapel and it's grounds were filled with terrified people crying for the Mother of God to save them.  Filled with confidence, they raised the statue of Mary, and KNEELING bore it in procession around their beloved sanctuary, saying the rosary.  After long hours of fear and horror passed the heavens sent a downpour of rain, and extinguished the fire.  When dawn came the ravages of the fire were revealed.  Everything about them was destroyed; miles and miles of desolation everywhere.  But the Convent, School Chapel, and the five acres of land consecrated to the Virgin Mary was untouched.  Many Churches in the communities were destroyed; but the Chapel still stood.  The fire left charred scars on the Chapel fence, but did not enter the Chapel grounds.  The only livestock saved were those within the Chapel grounds.  Even though the Chapel's was only a few feet deep, it gave enough water to supply all the cattle, while many deeper wells in the area were dry.  That is why the Chapel well is sometimes called the "Miraculous Well".  The pioneers never needed further proof of Mary's visitation to Adèle.


     Around the time of the Peshitgo Fire; persecutions had begun against Sister Adèle.  Because The church

has never officially recognized the story of Adèle or the alleged miracles; and because of stories of abuses during

the processions of the Chapel grounds; the Most Reverend Bishop Joseph Melcher; who had not as yet met

Sister Adèle, laid an interdict on the Chapel.  Adèle is refused the Sacraments and threatened with

excommunication if she persists in telling her story of the Apparitions.  At this point in time Adèle and the

Children attended Mass at Saint Joseph's Church in Champion (one mile west of the Chapel) every Sunday.  On

one occasion when she arrived at the church the pews were closed to her.  Despite this she and the children hear

mass kneeling in the aisle.  When the time came for Holy Communion, Sister Adèle, along with the children

resolutely approaches the Holy Table.  If she is to be refused the Lord, than she would be refused there.  When

the priest turned and saw Sister Adèle and the Children he came down and gave Communion to her and the rest.

Adèle was then filled with new courage.


     After a time the Bishop decided to go examine the condition at the Chapel.  He hired two physicians to

accompany him to Robinsonville to investigate, and to test the sanity of Sister Adèle.  When rumors started that

the Bishop was coming to close the Chapel, the Belgian pioneers sent notice to him of their opposition.  The

Bishop canceled the trip.  However he sent Sister Adèle a notice to dismiss the children, lock the school and

Chapel, and bring him the keys.


     Sister Adèle did what she was told.  However before leaving she purchased an acre of land near the

Chapel on which to build a home and still go out teaching Gods children.  When she brought the keys to the

Bishop, who was meeting her for the first time; She informs the Bishop that he will be responsible for every soul

lost due to the lack of religious instruction, and that she will still continue to instruct the children as she was

commanded to do by Mary.  The Bishop was so impressed by Sister Adèle and her words that he returned the

keys and told her to continue her classes.


     As growth continued there was soon need for a larger school and Chapel.  In 1885 the new convent and

school was built.  It was a large building with a large basement with kitchen, pantry and dining room for both the

Sisters and the Children.  The first floor had a classroom, a playroom, a sitting room and a dormitory for the

Sisters, with a parlor.  On the second floor was the children's dormitory.  they could now accommodate one

hundred twelve children each year.  Some of the children came from as far as the states of Michigan and

Minnesota.  There were eleven Sister working at the Chapel by this time.  A small one room building served for a

time as a hospital, but was later converted into a school.  Also built at this time was a new brick Chapel.


             In 1896 after thirty years of service to the Virgin Mary; many of which contained suffering, hardships and

       persecutions; Sister Adèle could no longer carry on her duties.  Worn out by labors and long begging tours she

       was loosing strength quickly.  On 5 July 1896; Sister moved on to her eternal reward.  Sister Adèle was laid to

                        rest in a little graveyard beside the Chapel.  The tombstone reads:


Sacred Cross, under thy shadow

I rest and hope.

Sister Marie Adèle Joseph Brice

Died July the 5th, 1896

at the age of 66 years.


     After Sister's death the conditions at the Chapel began to decline because of the lack of leadership.  On 24 October 1902, Bishop Messmer and Father Fox asked the superior at St. Francis Convent, in Bay Settlement,

to see what could be done for the community.  They appointed Sister Pauline to take over.  When Sister Pauline

arrived she found two sister, twenty children and forty two cents, and the cupboard bare.  The Bishop then sent

the Bay Settlement Sisters to the Chapel to continue the work of instruction especially for the children of the



     Sister Pauline needed to work hard; not only to provide food and clothing for those at the Chapel, but

also to pay back past debts.  She was able to pay back a debt of over one thousand dollars after a years time.

Much of the money to support the Chapel came from donations received through begging tours of the



     Sister Pauline helped lead the community of the Sisters of St. Francis at Bay Settlement for eighteen

years.  A few weeks after her eightieth birthday; Sister died from a paralytic stroke.  She is buried in the Convent

Cemetery, at Bay Settlement, Brown County Wisconsin.


     In 1928 a new diocesan institution was opened in Oneida, Wisconsin.  The Chapel school though in good

condition was no longer up to date as a boarding school; so Bishop Rode decided to close the Chapel school.

The Bishop requested that some of the Sisters stay at the Chapel.  In 1933  the Bishop announced that work

would begin on remodeling the place as a Home for Crippled Children.  It was remolded to meet with State

requirements; and the State Board of Control of Wisconsin licensed the Home to act as a Child Welfare Agency.

The number of children cared for was not to exceed twenty.  The school which cared for each individual

according to their needs, was in operation for twenty years.  The Sisters made the institution a home for the

children, and the children loved it there.


     It came again time to expand the institution.  On 12 July 1942; Bishop Rhode dedicated the new structure

under the title of "Our Lady of Good Help.  The new building could accommodate a seating capacity of three

hundred.  In the basement, the crypt contains the altar on which is placed a lovely statue of our the Virgin Mary

donated and sent from France in August of 1907, by Sister Claude Agnes Allard (Zoe Allard), from

Bay Settlement whom moved to France with the Rev. Phillip Crud in 1882.  Zoe Allard was not a full

Sister until she was 67 years old and after serving 50 years of missionary with the Rev. Phillip Crud.

The altar of our Lady stands over the place of the alleged apparitions.

Hundreds of vigil candles burn day and night in thanksgiving and

petition by the faithful of Mary.  This fourth Chapel stands as a monument to Adèle who was instrumental in

preserving the faith of her people in this community.


     In the eyes of the Church , only perfect and complete cures deserve to be called miracles.  To date, no

attempt has been made to record and authenticate the cures reported at the Shrine.  Many have left crutches there

as evidence of the grace they received.


The following are among the many of the remarkable cures received through the intercession of Our

Lady; taken from the Pamphlet  *  "THE CHAPEL, OUR LADY OF GOOD HELP" By the Sisters of Saint

Francis of Bay Settlement, November 1950.  And the Pamphlet  *  "THE CHAPEL, OUR LADY OF GOOD

HELP" by Sister M. Dominica, O.S.F.; The Sisters of Saint Francis of Bay Settlement, 1955.


Michael, the nine year old son of Mr. and Mrs. Mose Lafond,

fell from the barn leaving him a hopeless cripple.  Four years

later nine women made a novena to The Chapel with the boy.

After the third visit he was cured and left his crutches there.

As a man, he held a responsible position in a mill.


A little girl of three had a running sore, and had been receiving

medical care for a long time.  After making a novena

at The Chapel the wound closed.


A five year old boy could not walk.  His mother promised to

visit The Chapel which was sixteen miles from her home.  She

made the pilgrimage on foot; and feeling confident that her

prayers would be heard, on her return took the boy by the hand

and told him to walk.  The boy who had never walked before,

could walk from that moment.


A child who was almost blind was brought to The Chapel

from Bay Settlement.  The little girl had been suffering from

measles which had affected her eyes in such a way that there

were spots and scales on the pupils.  After the mother had prayed

to the Blessed Virgin, almost instantly the child's eyes were cured.


A young man seventeen years of age contracted a severe case

of double pneumonia which was followed by pleurisy after which

he was pronounced tubercular by three doctors and was advised

to go West.  After making a novena at The Chapel his lungs

cleared.  He passed all army tests, served nineteen months in the

first World War and is in perfect health ever since.  He feels confident

that Our Lady's intercession cured him.


Before childbirth a young woman contracted a very serious

kidney infection which kept her in bed for five weeks.  She was

running a temperature and was in great pain.  The doctor said

her kidneys would not clear up until after childbirth.  Nine persons

made a novena for her at The Chapel.  To the astonishment

of the doctor, she was up and about in a few days and was in

perfect health for the two months before the birth of the child.

Out of gratitude the parents dedicated the child to the Blessed Virgin.


A gentleman wearing a hearing aid, approached

a woman leading the rosary for a group during the

solemn procession on the 15th of August during the summer of

1954.  He fell back in his place after she indicated to him on her

rosary how far the group had reached.  About half way around

the procession road the gentleman removed his hearing aid. Before

entering the Chapel, the woman stepped back and said,

"Thank you for saying the rosary with us." He replied, "Thank

you, and Thank God, I can now hear."


This same woman gave a report of an instant cure that she

witnessed during the time of Adèle, when she attended school

there as a young girl.  A blind child was taken to the Chapel by

his mother.  It was not unusual for the suppliants to ask Adèle

to join with them in the novena.  When she was unable to do so,

Adèle would appoint several girls to say the rosary with the pilgrim

and in this particular case she designated Josie to lead it.

During the recitation of the rosary, there were shouts from the

child in his mother's arms.  Pointing in various directions the

child cried, "Mama look! Mama look look!" - the child could see.


A five year old child, niece of Sister Marguerite and Sister

Addie at the Chapel, was kicked in the face by a horse.  When the

mother saw the limp body of her little daughter and witnessed

the blood being drained from her little body, she immediately

promised to make a pilgrimage on foot to the Chapel, a distance

of twelve miles.  The bleeding stopped instantly.  The child suffered

no internal injuries nor physical defects, which was considered

a miracle in itself.  She has been a religious for many

years in a Wisconsin community.  Sister Lucille and her family

have always been grateful for Mary's special protection.


         In 1953 the home for the Crippled Children was no longer needed, so the institution was converted into a

Pre - Novitiate for the Sisters of St. Francis.  The Chapel was remodeled and in 1956 a new dorm was built.  The

Pre - Novitiate continued until 1972,  when the Chapel became the House of Prayer.  The Sisters staying at the

Chapel at this time were; Sister Sharon St. John, Sister Clairann,  Sister Mary Jean, and Sister Eugene.  The

Sisters continued to live there until their lack of numbers caused them to move back to the Bay Settlement

Convent.  The Sisters of the Carmelite moved into the Chapel, May 8, 1992.  The Sisters move to a new Monastery

built in the New Denmark, Brown County, Wisconsin area in 2002.


         The Shrine of "Our Lady of Good Help" was the first house of worship in the Belgian Community.  It is

still nestled in the beautiful farming community of Robinsonville; and continues to be open to the public, with

many visits occurring daily.  The community continues to hold processions twice a year around the Chapel

grounds.  Once in May and again on August 15 on the Feast of the Assumption of Mary; with an occasional

procession when there is a great need in the community for help from Our Lady Mary.  With Mary's help her

son’s, children continue to live on in God's love.


Reference material:


*  "THE CHAPEL, OUR LADY OF GOOD HELP" By the Sisters of Saint Francis of Bay Settlement, November 1950.


*  "THE CHAPEL, OUR LADY OF GOOD HELP" by Sister M. Dominica, O.S.F.; The Sisters of Saint Francis of Bay Settlement, 1955.

    Special Thanks to Sister Eugene.


*  “17 200 BELGES DEVENUS AMERICAINS 1620 – 1920” by Marcel Lacourt.


*  Information obtained from Andy Allord from family history.  Thank you Andy.




Shrine of Our Lady of Good Help,

             Robinsonville, Brown County,

                 Wisconsin, U.S.A.

To Top of Page

Back to Area Churches

Back to Homepage