William Berry Jr.
- Born: 18 Mar 1763, Augusta County, Virginia
- Died: 17 Jan 1842, Leo, Allen Co., IN
- Buried: Eel River Cemetery?
1810 Tax Duplicate Ohio Miami
1816 Tax Duplicate Ohio Miami
1819 Tax Duplicate Ohio Shelby Perry & Part of Essex Twps.
Wm Berry Jr
Miami County Ohio, 1821 Tax
Berry, William (Guard)...10......2...... 25 SW part... 200 acres...non-resident
Berry, William (Guard)...10......2...... 25 SW part... 20 acres... non-resident
1824 Ohio Tax Duplicate, Shelby Orange Twp.
Wm Berry Jr
1825 Ohio Tax Duplicate, Shelby Orange Twp.
William Berry Jr
William Berry Sr
Session of the Associate Judges
The State of Ohio, Miami County, SS
January term, 1814-Grand Jurors: James Fergusr, foreman; William Berry, Daniel Cory, Samuel Winans, James Deweese, Parker Atkins, William Snodgrass, David H. Morris, Jacob Curtis, James Knight, Hugh Scott, John Clingan, Thomas Hill. Patrick Laferty, Constable two days.
according to the Revolution pension
1763-1794 Rockbridge County, Virginia
1794-1797 Fayette County, Ky.
1797-1807 Scott Co. Ky.
1807-1825 Miami County, Ohio
1825-1832+ St. Marys, Mercer County, Ohio
+1840-1842 Allen County Indiana
"1820 Federal Population Census - Ohio "
Berry, WM page 151 SHE ---
"1830 Federal Population Census - Ohio"
Berry, WM (jr) page 037 SHE ORA
1830 Mercer Co. Census Heads of Household
Berry, William - St Marys Town
1840 Federal Census, Cedar Creek, Allen County, Indiana, page 53
William Berry Sen.
1 male 70-80 William (77)
1 female 30-40
Young female was likely William’s daughter Mary, b. ca 1791-94. She was a single woman in her sister’s household in 1850.
SOURCE: 1840 Census of Pensioners Revolutionary or Military Services;
Name Age Head of Household City County
William Berry 76 William Berry **da* Allen
SCOTT CO., KY 1800 Tax List
KENTUCKY PENSION ROLL OF 1835
WILLIAM BERRY SCOTT COUNTY PRIVATE JOHNSON'S REGIMENT $60.00 ANNUAL ALLOWANCE $124.00 AMOUNT RECEIVED DECEMBER 11, 1815 PENSION STARTED $96.00 ANNUAL ALLOWANCE $1,714.90 AMOUNT RECEIVED APRIL 24, 1816 PENSION STARTED
HIST: Johnson's Reg, War of 1812 - Scott Co ---------------------------------------------------------- Submitted to the USGW Kentucky Archives by: "Polly A. Menendez" <email@example.com> 10 Jun 1998 ---------------------------------------------------------- History of Col. R. M. Johnson's War of 1812 Regiment - Scott County, KY HISTORY OF BOURBON, SCOTT, HARRISON & NICHOLAS COUNTIES edited by William Henry Perrin, Chicago, O. L. Baskins & Co, Historical Publishers, 1882 Pg. 171-173 Scott County, in the war of 1812, furnished nearly six companies, which formed the larger part of Col. R. M. Johnson's regiment. The respective Captains of these companies were Lynn West, Stephen Richie, Joseph Ready, John Duvall, Jacob Stucker and John W. Ready - the latter a cousin to Joseph Ready. Of these six companies, there is not known to be but three living representatives, viz.: Judge Warren, Mr. Ford and John T. Pratt, the latter of whom communicated to us most of this information. Mr. Pratt was in the battle of the Thames, but being hotly engaged in another part of the field, he did not witness Col. Johnson's charge. In Capt. Stucker's company were nine pairs of brothers from this county, viz.: Conrad and Jesse Wolf, Isaac and Jacob DeHaven, James and Gabriel Long, Edward and Henry Ely, Joel and John Herndon, Zachary and Wyatt Herndon - cousins of Joel and John - James and Edgcomb Suggett, Henry and William Berry, Edward and William Johnson - sons of Col. James Johnson. Other members of that company were Thomas Blackburn, John Pearce, Spencer Peak, Thomas Suggett, Robert Payne, Ben Chambers, John Pratt, etc. etc. etc. Moses A. Faris and George M. Bower were also in the war of 1812 as Surgeons. Richard M. Gano, the father of Dr. Gano, of Georgetown, entered the war as Major of Col. Charles Scott's regiment, and succeeded him as its Colonel. He commanded the regiment in the battle of the Thames, and at the close of the war he was made Brigadier General for gallant service during the war. A sketch of Col. R. M. Johnson will not be inappropriate in this connection. His father, Col. Robert Johnson, was a pioneer of Kentucky, and an early settler of Scott County. Col. "Dick" was born in Kentucky in 1781, received his early education in the country schools of the time, and finally entered Transylvania University at Lexington, where he took a regular course and graduated. He commenced the study of law with Col. George Nicholas, one of the most celebrated jurists of his day, but upon his death, which occurred soon after, Mr. Johnson continued his studies with Hon. James Brown, then a distinguished member of the Kentucky Bar. Before he was twenty-one, he was elected to the State Legislature, from Scott County, where he served with considerable honor, and in 1807 (being in his twenty-sixth year) he was elected to Congress, and at once entered upon the theater of national politics. When the war-clouds began to gather in our horizon in 1811-12, and an appeal to arms seemed inevitable, Col. Johnson was among those who believed that no other alternative remained to the American people. Accordingly after supporting all the preparatory measures which the crisis demanded, in Jun, 1812, he gave his vote for the declaration of war. As soon as Congress adjourned, he hastened home, "raised the standard of his country, and called around him many of the best citizens of his neighborhood, sons of whom, schooled in the stormy period of the early settlement of the State, were veteran warriors, well suited for the service for which they were intended." The service of Col. Johnson and his famous regiment of mounted riflemen in the war of 1812 is so well known that it seems superfluous to go into particulars here. It is very generally believed that Col. Johnson killed the noted Indian Chief Tecumseh in the battle of the Thames. The fact, it is true, has been disputed by a number of writers on the subject, yet it is hard to shake the general belief, that Johnson was the author of the great chief's death. Says Col. Johnson's biographer: "In October, 1813, the decisive crisis in the operations of the Northwestern army arrived - the battle of the Thames - which led to a termination of hostilities in that quarter, was fought and won. The distinguished services of Col. Johnson, and his brave regiment, in that sanguinary engagement, have scarcely a parallel in the heroic annals of our country. The British and Indians, the former under command of Gen. Proctor, and the latter under that of Tecumseh, the celebrated Indian warrior, had taken an advantageous position, the British in line between the river Thames and a narrow swamp, and the Indians in ambush on their right, and west of the swamp, ready to fall upon the rear of Col. Johnson should he force a retreat of the British. Col. Johnson, under the orders of the Commander in-chief, divided his regiment into two battalions, one under the command of his gallant brother, James, and the other to be led by himself. Col. Johnson with his battalion passed the swamp and attacked the Indians, at the same moment that his brother James fell upon and routed the British regulars. The contest for awhile between Col. Johnson's battalion and the Indians was obstinate and bloody, the slaughter great, but success complete. The gallant Colonel was in the very midst and thickest of the fight, inspiring by his presence and courage, the utmost confidence of his brave followers, and though perforated with balls, his bridle arm shattered, and bleeding profusely, he continued to fight until he encountered and slew an Indian chief, who formed the rallying point of the savages. This chief was supposed to be the famous Tecumseh himself, upon whose fall the Indians raised a yell and retreated. The heroic Colonel, covered with wounds, twenty-five balls having been shot into him, his clothes and his horse, was borne from the battle-ground faint from exertion and loss of blood, and almost lifeless. Never was victory so complete or its achievement so glorious. Fifteen hundred Indians were engaged against the battalion of Col. Johnson, and 800 British regulars against that of his brother. Both the Indians and British were routed, and an end put to the war upon the Northern frontier, distinguished, as it had been, by so many murderous cruelties upon the part of the savage allies of the British." Col. Johnson continued to serve his constituents in Congress until 1819, when he voluntarily retired and returned home. The people of Scott County at once returned him to the State Legislature, and that body elected him to the United States Senate. After serving out his term, he was almost unanimously re-elected to the same exalted position. In 1836, he was elected Vice President of the United States under Martin Van Buren, and for four years presided over the Senate with great dignity. Ath the expiration of his term, he retired to his farm in Scott County, where he spent the remainder of his life. He was a member of the State Legislature at the time of his death, which occurred in 1850, in Frankfort. Col. Johnson was one of the able men of Kentucky, and sprung from an able and talented family, most of whom (the male members) were statesmen and soldiers. James Johnson, a brother to Col. Dick, and Lieutenant Colonel of the latter's regiment, was a soldier of promise, and distinguished himself while in the service; also served several sessions in Congress with ability. John T. Johnson, another brother, was for a short time a member of the Appellate Court of Kentucky, subsequently a Member of Congress, but finally became a minister of the Christian Church, a position he filled with great usefulness. The father, Col. Robert Johnson, was himself a soldier and statesman, and served his country well and faithfully. He was the grandfather of Hon. George W. Johnson, who was born near Georgetown in 1811, and who was the Confederate Governor of Kentucky during the late war. He labored earnestly to place Kentucky by the side of the other Southern States in the rebellion, and set on foot the organization of a provisional government, which was effected by the Convention at Russellville, Logan County, November 18-21, 1861. A constitution was adopted, and Mr. Johnson was chosen Provisional Governor, and December 10, Kentucky was admitted a member of the Confederacy, though the State at large never acknowledged it. He was mortally wounded in the battle of Shiloh, while fighting temporarily as a private in the Fourth Kentucky (Confederate) Infantry. At the time of his death he was fifty-one years of age. But to return to the war of 1812. Scott County bore her part in it, until "Old Hickory" conquered a peace at New Orleans. Thus a war, that opened with the disgrace of Hull's surrender, closed in a blaze of glory at New Orleans. Croghan's gallant defense of Fort Stephenson; Perry's victory upon Lake Erie; the total defeat by Harrison, of the allied British and Savages, under Procter and Tecumseh, on the Thames, and the great closing triumph of Jackson at New Orleans, are scarcely equaled in the annals of war, and reflected the most brilliant luster on the American arms. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Transcribed by Polly Askew Menendez, "firstname.lastname@example.org" Col. Robert Johnson, gggg grandfather Col. James Johnson, ggg grandfather (led battalion at battle of Thames) Col. Richard Mentor Johnson, ggg granduncle, (US Vice President, 1837-41) William Johnson, gg grandfather (he & brother, Edward were in this battle) ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
At this time, Shelby County, Ohio, was part of Miami County and Troy served as its county seat. By 1817, area leaders felt that Troy was too far away to handle their affairs adequately. Seven men were instrumental in organizing the county and petitioning the Ohio General Assembly to grant Shelby County a charter. These men were William Cecil, William Berry , Samuel Marshall , David Henry , James Lenox, Joseph Mellinger and John Wilson . After Shelby County was formed, Hardin would serve as county seat for almost a year before it moved to Sidney.
Berry, Phillips, Valentine
The first white settlement in southern Shelby County, Ohio, (Orange Township) had been made by James Cannon but other early settlers to the area included John Phillips/William Berry who arrived in the spring and Daniel Valentine in the fall of 1809.
William Berry (nationality unknown) built the county’s first frame house and also one of the first successful flouring mills . Pioneers would travel 40 to 50 miles to reach the mill to grind their grain. He and Edward Jackson both constructed block houses to serve as protection from the Indians . Berry later served as one of the community’s first commissioners.
Born in New Jersey, Daniel Valentine’s ancestors were English immigrants. He came to the area with his wife, Rachel Winans, and their four children. In addition to running a farm, Daniel was a shoemaker. It wasn’t long before his shoemaking skills were in great demand throughout the county. Daniel apprenticed one of his sons, Richard, at the age of 16 to a blacksmith named Alexander Moreland. In 1828, Richard opened the first blacksmith shop within the township at the old site of Berry’s mill.
Even before large elevators, the countryside was dotted with mills to produce flour for local use. Jackson Center’s first mill, for example, was built in 1839 by Daniel Davis, and "was a horse mill, there being little or no access to water power in this part of the county." In the area later platted as Pontiac, now Kirkwood, William Berry built a flour mill in 1812. He reportedly ground meal for Harrison’s soldiers on the march to the northwest. Lockington’s first flouring mill was erected in 1830. John Medaris erected a mill --called a "corn cracker"-- near Plattsville around 1824 (Memoirs of the Miami Valley, Vol. I, Robert O. Law Co., 1919).
1880 History of Miami County Ohio
Gardner Bobo immigrated to this township in 1808. He entered the northwest quarter of Section 21, now owned by William Geigerman. He was accompanied to his Western home by his large family of sons and daughters. This being in, the northern part of t he township, near the Shelby County Irine, Mr. Bobo did his milling at Berry's Mill, in that county, to which place a pathway was blazed through the woods for the convenience of the settlers in this part of Spring Creek Township. Grain was always taken to mill on horse- back, and, as wagons had not yet come into vogue in this neighborhood, a simple path through the woods was all that was required to accommodate all the travelers of the day. The first wagon in the township was the property of old Mr. Dillbone.
Kirkwood is a rural unincorporated community located at the intersection of Kirkwood and River Roads in southwestern Orange Township , Shelby County, Ohio, United States.
Originally named Pontiac before the name change, Kirkwood is located halfway between Sidney to the north and Piqua to the south in neighboring Miami County. The original Dayton and Michigan Railroad, later B&O, Chessie System, and now CSX Transportation runs through Kirkwood. The rural community is visible from Interstate 75 as an overpass over Kirkwood Road, although no exit for Kirkwood exits.
The offices for Orange Township are located in Kirkwood.
The Kirkwood Grain Company, built by William Berry in 1812, was closed in 1981 and subsequently demolished. Shelby Crop Service, later Estech, closed in the mid-1980s.
The remains of the agriculture business, a fertilizer distribution center located on River Road, went through several name changes since 1987 from the former Estech to Kaiser-Estech, IMC, Vigoro, Royster-Clark and presently Crop Production Services. The offices and warehouse of the former Shelby Crop Service became home to industrial lumber business Wappoo Wood Products Incorporated in 1987. The Miami River Stone Company is also located in Kirkwood with its divisions Sidney Sand and Gravel and Western Ohio Cut Stone Company at the western terminus of Kirkwood Road, near the Great Miami River.
The abandoned I.O.O.F. lodge was demolished by a fire in the spring of 2007.
NINE SOLDIERS WHO FOUGHT IN THE REVOLUTIONARY WAS CAME INTO THE WILDERNESS TO MAKE THEIR HOME IN THE SETTLEMENT AROUND ANTHONY WAYNE'S FORT. THIS MARKER, ON THE GROUNDS OF THE FORT WAYNE-ALLEN COUNTY HISTORICAL MUSEUM, WAS ERECTED BY DAR AND NAMES THE MEN...MICHAEL CRONTS, JAMES BALL, CHARLES WEEKS, SR., WILLIAM BERRY, SGT. SAMUEL BIRD, JAMES SAUNDERS, SGT. GURDIN BURNHAM, DAVID BLAIR, AND DAVID BRYANT. AMERICAN BATTLE CASUALTIES WERE 4, 435. REF. FORT WAYNE NEWS-SENTINEL, ROTO-SECTION, NOVEMBER 8, 1969.
Rockbridge County, VA Deed Book C, pp. 11-12. 4 Feb 1794. James Berry, William Berry and Nancy Berry, William's wife, to Alexander Porter. (Abstract) 4 February 1794 Consideration of 630 pounds 427 Acres James Berry & William Berry of Rockbridge County, VA to Alexander Porter of same. James Berry and William Berry, and Nancy, sd William's wife acknowledge have bargained and sold a certain tract of land of 427 acres in Rockbridge County being the land bequeathed to sd James and William by the Last Will and Testament of William Berry deceased. Beginning at three Elms corner to James Tedford, S 73 deg, W 65 poles to a large white oak, S 82 deg, E 136 poles to a chestnut, N 50 deg, E 74 poles to a white oak, N 40 deg, W 20 poles to a black oak, N 50 deg, E 63 poles to a black & spanish oak, S39 deg, E 105 poles to a large white oak on a hill, S 50 deg, W 78 poles to a white oak and stony hill, N 43 1/2 deg, W 117 poles to a white oak, S 49 deg, W 151 poles hickory and white oak saplings, N 41 deg, W 27 poles to a hickory by a branch, S 49 deg, W 50 poles to the beginning. Land now in possession of Alexander Porter with all appurtenances and advantages. To have and to hold to Alexander Porter his heirs and assigns forever. James Berry, William Berry, and Nancy Berry to warrant and forever defend. James Berry William Berry Nancy Berry Signed and sealed in the presence of Wm McKee John Houston Jno Wilson Rockbridge County Court 4 February 1794 James Berry, William Berry, and Nancy Berry acknowledged. Ordered to be recorded. Nancy Berry privily examined and voluntarily relinquished her dower in the land. Teste A. Reid Clk.
A hoard of commissioners convened at Hardin on June 17, 1819, con- sisting of Robert McClure, William Berry and John Wilson, with David Henry as clerk of hoard, and James Lenox, treasurer of the county. They entered at once upon their respective duties. Archibald Defreer was appointed collector. On June 12th the bonds of John Craig, as coroner, and Daniel V. Dingman, as sheriff, were accepted and' after some routine business the board adjourned to September 2d. and Shelby county, armed and equipped, started on its full-Hedged career and has been in motion ever since.
William married Nancy. (Nancy was born about 1766.)