Taunton Courier 10 Sep 1873 Inquests inc Anna HUTCHINGS Marsh Farm Kingston Thomas POPE at Corfe Dau of Lydia PELLY and Abraham ESCOTT 8 South Street Taunton

Sarah Hawkins Genealogy Site
Newspaper Articles

The Taunton Courier and Western Advertiser Wednesday 10 September 1873

Page 6 Column 2



An inquest was held at this place on Monday, Sept. 1st on the body of Joseph BREWER, who was drowned whilst fishing. The evidence of James WOOLLEN, living at Lyng, stated that deceased lived in Streaked-lane, West Lyng. He was a labourer, and was subject to fits. On Friday last he went eeling in Curry Manor, at about two o'clock in the afternoon, and he was not seen alive afterwards. Witness found him in Curry Manor; his eeling spear was by his side.

The jury found that the deceased Joseph BREWER, whilst eeling in a rhine in the Curry Manor, being subject to fits, accidentally fell into the rhine, and was drowned to suffocation.


On Tuesday, the 2nd instant, an inquest was held on the body of a woman named Anna HUTCHINGS.

Samuel FARRANT, Esq., surgeon, of Taunton, on being sworn, deposed that he had attended deceased, who was the widow of the late Robert Robin HUTCHINGS, and lived in Marsh farm, in the parish of Kingston. Witness was called in to see the deceased on the 16th of last month. She had extensive scalp wounds, recently inflicted, on the right side of the head, and also wounds on the left thumb. She told witness that she had fallen down the cellar stairs, by opening the door in mistake for the passage door, while looking for her bonnet. She died on Sunday last, after having been seen by Mr. MULES, of Ilminster. Witness was of opinion that she died from those injuries. She had not blamed anyone for causing the wounds.

Julia HUTCHINGS, daughter of the deceased, said her mother was 70 years of age. On the 16th August she found her mother lying in the doorway of the cellar stairs, insensible, but she soon recovered. Witness called her sister to assist her mother to her room. Witness did not know how the deceased came in the position in which she found her, but from her mother's statement, which was similar to that she had made to Mr. FARRANT.

A verdict was returned that deceased died of injuries accidentally inflicted by her falling down stairs.


On the same day an inquest was held at Corfe, on the body of Thomas POPE. The following evidence was adduced:-

Eli MUTTER said: I am a labourer living at Corfe. Deceased was a carter, working for Mr. WESTLAKE, of Hayne farm, Otterford. On Wednesday last, about nine o'clock p.m., I was in his waggon returning to Otterford with culm; the waggon was drawn by two horses. When just by the clergyman's house, in Corfe, deceased was riding on the shafts, and there he got off and walked a little way. Suddenly I heard him scream out, and I stopped the horses, and in a minute of two found him lying in the road. I concluded that by some means, when he was walking along, he fell, and the near wheels of the waggon passed over him. He was taken to a stable at the clergyman's house, and died there. He was rather in liquor. The doctor saw him just before he was taken to the stable. He died in a out <sic> half an hour after the accident happened.

William RICHARD, another labourer, also living in Corfe, said that on Wednesday night, about nine o'clock, he saw deceased riding on the shafs <sic> of a waggon through Corfe village. Almost directly afterwards deceased must have fallen. He heard the last witness stop the waggon, and he helped to assist the deceased to the stable. Deceased said, “The wheels have passsed ove me.”

A verdict was returned to the effect that Thomas POPE, being in liquor, accidentally fell down in Corfe, and the wheels of a waggon, drawn by horses, which he was driving, passed over his body, from which he died.


On the 3rd instant an inquest took place at SMITH's Taunton Arms, East Reach, on the body of the infant daughter of Lydia PELLY, which was found dead in bed.

Lydia PELLY said: I am a single woman, living at No. 8, South-street, with a man named Abraham ESCOTT. The deceased is our child: it would be a month old to-morrow. I last saw it alive on Saturday night at twenty minutes past one, when I went to bed. It was then apparently quite well. When I awoke in the morning, I turned round to put my head on the body's head. She was then lying on her left side on the outside of me. She was quite cold. I ran downstairs, at about a quarter before four o'clock, and went to call Mrs. STONE, who came directly. Neither I nor ESCOTT were the worse for drink. The child was lying a little distance from me. I found her just where I had placed her. The mouth was not covered.

Dr. G. B. CORNISH stated that he made a post mortem examination of the deceased. There were no marks of violence, and it was remarkably well nourished. Death had resulted from suffocation, which might have occurred in many ways, such as covering over the mouth, or any way which excluded air.

Eliza STONE said she was called by Lydia PELLY on Sunday morning, who came and told her that she thought “the poor dear little baby was dead.” She went at once to the house, and found the child quite dead. It was lying on its left side.

In reply to a juryman, Dr. CORNISH said it was possible that the child had suffocated itself.

A verdict was returned to the effect that the deceased was found dead in bed, having been accidentally suffocated, but they did not attach blame to anyone.

Back to Miscellaneous Page

Back to Home Page

<NOTES: Lydia PELLY daughter of Francis PELLY and Sophia GOLLOP, associated with Abraham ESCOTT

Baby - Lyddia ESCOTT, daughter of Lydia PELLY and Abraham ESCOTT>