Taunton Courier 23 Sep 1908 Police Business in Taunton includes Thomas TEMPLEMAN, James CLARKE of Sweethay Farm Pitminster & Albert PAVEY of Mountway Bishops Hull

Sarah Hawkins Genealogy Site
Newspaper Articles

Taunton Courier. Bristol and Exeter Journal and Western Advertiser Wednesday 23 September 1908

Page 3 Column 3



WEDNESDAY. - Before the Mayor (Alderman A. J. SPILLER). Alderman H. J. SPILLER, Mr. W. LOCK, Mr. J. WHITE, and Alderman J. P. SIBLEY.


On the application of Mr. E. H. WATSON, the license of the Crown and Tower Inn, Silver-street, was temporarily transferred from Mr. Wm. GREEN to Mr. A. W. BETTY, formerly Quarter-Master-Sergeant of the Fifth Rifle Brigade. - Mr. DERRICK, of the firm of Messrs. MITCHELL, TOMS, & Company, applied for an was granted the temporary transfer of the License of the Nag's Head Hotel, North-street, from Mr. R. S. ROBINSON to Mr. H. R. BENBOW.


The following persons were summoned in respect of the non-payment of the educational portion of the poor-rate, namely, Messrs. J. P. SIBLEY, J. Y. COLES, S. LAWRENCE, and T.S. PENNY. - In the absence of each Mr. WITHAM, rate collector for the parish of St. Mary, proved the amounts due, and the usual order was made in each case. - Alderman J. P. SIBLEY did not adjudicate in the cases, and he afterwards appeared and took his seat on the Bench.



Charles DYER, a man nearing middle age, of no fixed abode, and who formerly carried on business in Taunton as a tobacconist, was brought up in custody charged with stealing, on the 14th inst., a half-crown, the money of Emma BILLET.

Mrs. Emma BILLET stated that she was the licensee of the Telegraph Inn, Bridge-street, and she knew the defendant, who came to the house regularly. On the previous Monday afternoon, about 2.30, he entered the bar of the house and had several half-pints of beer, for which he paid, changing two separate shillings. He also had some bread and cheese. Witness left him in the bar for about ten minutes while she went into the kitchen, and her grand-daughter afterwards called her attention to the till, from the drawer of which was missing half-a-crown. Witness was positive that no-one had entered the bar since prisoner was served with his last half-pint of beer, when the half-crown was then in the till. The drawer of the till was not locked, and it was possible to reach it from the bar counter. She afterwards gave information to the police.

Dorothy ADLAM, aged 14, grand-daughter of Mrs. BILLET, with whom she was living, gave evidence that on the afternoon in question she was near the bar and saw prisoner with his hand over the counter. The drawer of the till was open, and his hand was in the till, but she could not say if he took anything out. He immediately afterwards left his beer on the counter and quitted the bar, and she then informed her grandmother of what she had seen.

Wm. BARTLETT, licensee of the Red Inn, Tancred-street, spoke to prisoner visiting his house shortly before three o'clock the same afternoon. He had a glass of beer and some bread and cheese, and he tendered in payment for the same a half-crown.

P.C. SMITH, acting on information received, stated that he arrested the prisoner on suspicion about five o'clock the same afternoon at a lodging-house in Mary-street. On searching him he had 6s 5d in his pockets, the silver coins being 2s, three separate shillings, and two sixpences. When subsequently charged, prisoner said “All right, I did not take it.”

The accused, who now had nothing to say, preferred to be tried by a jury, and he was therefore committed to the next Quarter Sessions at Wells in October, bail being allowed if sureties could be found.


The following parents were summoned for disobedience to orders for the non-attendance of their children at school, namely:- S. WYATT, of Eastbourne-road, in respect of two children, fined 2s 6d and 5s costs in each case; Tom VIRGIN, of 2 Court, Upper High-street, and Chas. RICE, George's-place, each similarly fined, with costs, in respect of one child; and an order was made against Sarah ADAMS, of Paul-street, for her boy to attend school more regularly in future. - Mr. MATTOCK, school attendance officer, prosecuted, and proved the cases.


Mr. COLLIS, the probation officer, mentioned the case of Tom CLARK, a boy of King-street, who had been put under probation for six months, and whose term had now expired. Mr. COLLIS reported to the magistrates that the conduct of the boy had been very good during the whole time, and the Bench accordingly ordered his discharge.

SATURDAY. - Before the Mayor (Alderman A. J. SPILLER) and the ex-Mayor (Alderman J. P. SIBLEY).


James YOUNG, a tramp, pleaded guilty to having refused to perform his task whilst being an inmate of the casual ward at Taunton Workhouse. - Mr. T. GERRY (master) stated that defendant refused to even start the task. - The Bench, in sentencing the defendant to a month in prison, said that why they did so was because they were assured that he would not work.


Thomas TEMPLEMAN, formerly of Taunton, was summoned by Mary Jane ALLEN for £7 15s, arrears of maintenance, under an affiliation order, made on the 13th June, 1906. - Defendant admitted the amount to be due, but said that he had been out of work. - P.S. EVANS said that they had great difficulty in finding the defendant. - The Bench made an order on the defendant to pay 10s per week until the arrears were paid off, defendant having stated that he had been offered a three years' situation in Swansea, to start on the following Monday.

MONDAY. - Before Alderman J. P. SIBLEY in the chair) and Mr. T. S. PENNY.


On Saturday evening P.C. LOVELL found a woman in charge of a child clinging to the rails of Tone Bridge in a helplessly drunken condition, and as she was a nuisance to passers-by he took her to the Police-station, afterwards taking the child to the Workhouse. The woman, Elizabeth EVANS, a hawker, who was extremely voluble, now pleaded guilty to being drunk whilst in charge of a child under seven years of age. She said she was ashamed to stand before the magistrates on such a charge, and assured them that she was not a habitual drunkard. She went to a lifeboat demonstration at Wellington, and, meeting a few friends, had three half-pints of beer. - Superintendent STOKER said the woman had been in the town about three weeks, and suggested that if she promised to leave the town with the child it would be the best thing to do. - The magistrates adopted this course, and the woman promised to leave the town.


SATURDAY. - Before Col. W. O. MEADE-KING (in the chair), Major-General EMERSON, Major W. W. ELTON, Mr. A. E. EASTWOOD, Colonel CHISHOLM-BATTEN, and Mr. R. BRUFORD.


On the application of Mr. C. P. CLARKE the temporary transfer of the Half-Moon Inn, Stoke St. Mary, was granted from Geo. SPARKES to Thos. GOULD. - Messrs. GOODHIND & Co., Taunton, were granted an occasional license from 12 to 10 p.m. For a harvest home at West Hatch on Thursday next.


James D. CLARKE, farmer, of Sweethay Farm, Pitminster, pleaded guilty to keeping a dog without a license on September 11th. - P.C. WEBB stated the facts, and defendant was fined 7s 6d and 5s costs. - Thomas GRIGG, farmer, of Hatch Beauchamp, pleaded not guilty to a similar offence on September 1st. - P.C. BERRY proved the case, and said that defendant gave as an excuse that the dog was not six months old. Witness knew, however, defendant had had it since January. - Defendant said that as soon as he found the dog was six months old he took out a license. - Fined 7s 6d and 7s costs.


Directly they saw me they jumped off.” This is what P.C. WEBB said in the case where Thomas DURMAN and William COLLIER, of Blagdon, were summoned for riding a bicycle without a light on the night of the 9th inst. - Defendants denied they were riding, but said they had been walking all the time. - Defendants were fined 2s and 6s costs. - DURMAN: It was an expensive ride, but we'll pay with a smile. (Laughter.)


There were two cases in which gipsies were summoned for allowing animals to stray. The first was Samuel MOSS, who was summoned in respect to a dog on September 17th. - P.C. OSMENT proved the case, and defendant, who did not appear, but sent a letter pleading ignorance of the bye-laws, was fined 2s 6d and costs. - Joseph ISAACS, another gipsy, pleaded guilty to a similar offence on the same date in respect to two horses. - P.C. OSMENT stated the facts, and said that there were three horses straying, two of which defendant admitted belonged to him. - Defendant said he had never been summoned before, and was fined 2s for each horse and costs, 8s 6d altogether.


At the last Court Jas. COLLIER, a farmer, of Lipiatt, Devon, was summoned for driving a trap without a light on August 24th. His defence then was that another man, Jas. SMITH, of Churchstanton, was in charge, and that he (defendant) was only leading the horse. - The case was adjourned for SMITH to give evidence. He now appeared, and stated that he was in charge, and the Bench dismissed the case, the Chairman remarking that there seemed to have been a mistake somewhere. - COLLIER said he would ask for his expenses for coming to Taunton twice, and Superintendent STOKER told him he could apply for them in the County Court. - Defendant said he would.


Albert PAVEY, a young man, of Mountway, Bishop's Hull, was summoned by Florence WEAVER, single woman, of Trull, near Taunton, to show cause, &c. - Mr. C. P. CLARKE appeared for the applicant, and Mr. W. T. BOOKER (Wellington) for the defendant, who did not admit the paternity.

Mr. CLARKE stated that applicant was a single woman, and in November last gave birth to a female child, of which she alleged that defendant was the father. The parties had been in service together at an hotel. Before the child was born the girl's father and herself had an interview with defendant, who promised to do something for her.

The applicant gave evidence bearing out this statement. She had not taken proceedings before as defendant had said he would do something for her.

Wm. Henry WEAVER, sawyer, of Trull, father of the applicant, spoke to interviewing the defendant about his daughter in August last year, and defendant came out to Trull subsequently and admitted that something would have to be done.

Mary Ann WEAVER, mother of the applicant, spoke to going with her husband and daughter to the hotel and seeing defendant, who said he would come out to Trull to see them. Later on they saw him again, and defendant said something ought to be done. He never denied the paternity of the child.

Mr. BOOKER, in defence, dwelt upon the lack of corroborative evidence, and said that defendant had never said anything definite to admit being the father of the child.

The Bench made an order of 2s a week until the child was 13 years of age. - The usual costs were allowed.

Back to Miscellaneous Page

Back to Home Page