The Western Gazette and Flying Post 26 Nov 1869 Ilminster Petty Sessions includes Stanford MALE of Barrington Assault

Sarah Hawkins Genealogy Site
Newspaper Articles

The Western Gazette and Flying Post Friday 26 Nov 1869
Page 6 Column 5 & 6


We regret to state that the foot-and-mouth disease has made its appearance at Knott Oak Farm near this town. On the 27th of September last Mr. James PAULL bought five beasts at Bishopstoke, and they were at once removed to his farm. A few days ago they exhibited symptoms of the foot-and-mouth disease, and Mr. CHANNON, veterinary surgeon, Taunton, having pronounced the animals to be so, they were isolated, and the usual orders made.


Before T. B. UTTERMARE, Esq., and R. T. COMBE, Esq.

Henry BROWN, labourer, of South Petherton, was brought up on remand by A.S. STRIDE charged with stealing three fowls, the property of Robert GOULD, of South Petherton, on the 14th instant. It appeared from the evidence that prosecutor was sitting in his house in the evening of the 14th instant, when he heard his fowls made a noise. When he went out he saw the prisoner, whom he had known from his youth, and who lives near him, jump over his wall, and in doing so he dropped a fowl. On examining his fowl-house, he missed three fowls, that which prisoner dropped being one of them. The others had not been found. Mr. PAULL, of Ilminster, now appeared for the prisoner, and called Susan BAKER, Grace BROWN, and William BROWN, who swore that they saw the prisoner go into his house before the time the fowls were stolen. The magistrates said that they were inclined to believe the prosecutor, and thought that the witnesses for the defence had failed to prove an alibi. They therefore sentenced the prisoner to 21 days' hard labour. Prisoner protested that he was innocent.

David BOWERMAN, yeoman, of Ilton, was summoned by Ann MEADE, one of his servants, for assaulting her on the 11th instant, at Ilton. Complainant said on the evening of the 11th instant, I put the baby to bed, and ten minutes after it began to cry. Missus then went upstairs and said that I had covered it up enough to “stiffle” it. Master then came into the kitchen and took hold of me and shook me, knocked my head against the “settle,” and dragged me out into a dark passage, when he knocked me down and beat my head against the floor. Luke MEADE, complainant's father, proved seeing marks of violence on his daughter's body. Mr. BOWERMAN, in defence, said that he was sitting at supper with his wife when he heard the child cry. Mrs. BOWERMAN went upstairs and found the child covered up with a great shawl, lying under the bedclothes. She remonstrated with complainant for putting the child to bed in such a manner, when she became very impudent and abusive. He ordered complainant to go to bed, which she refused to do. He then took her by the arm and pulled her towards the stairs. He did not strike her. He called Thirza NAPPER, another of his servants, who stated that her master did not strike complainant, he only wanted her to go to bed and took her by the arm. The magistrates considered it a trivial affair, and dismissed the case, remarking that they did not consider Mr. BOWERMAN had used unnecessary violence.

John PAULL, of Curry Mallet, was summoned by Frank PAYNE, for assaulting him, at the Star Inn, Curry Mallet, on the 22nd of October. Complainant said he was at the Star Inn, when defendant had some drink which he did not pay for. He (complainant) told him to pay for it, and he said he had. The landlord then came in and made defendant pay. He then threw his money about and jumped up and struck him (complainant), giving him a black eye. Defendant said that he had been drinking at the Star Inn nearly the whole of the day. Complainant said he owed for a pint, and kept “chaffing,” whereupon he just gave him a “tat.” Fined 2s 6d and 5s costs. Defendant then asked for time, remarking that he had been bad ever since the affair, and had not done any work. He was allowed three weeks; if not paid by that time to be committed for seven days.

Jane GRINTER, keeper of the Bridge Cross Gate, South Petherton, was summoned by Mr. Samuel DARBY, yeoman, of Bower Hinton, for illegally demanding 6d toll on the 1st inst. Complainant said that he drove to Stratton, though defendant's gate, on the day in question, at five o'clock, and paid the proper toll. He returned the same evening, arriving at defendant's gate at a quarter to 12 o'clock. Defendant then refused to let him through unless he paid another toll, stating that it was after 12. He refused and rode round to another gate, “Atkins's,” a distance of a mile and a half. It was then a few minutes to 12 and he passed through the latter gate without the toll being demanded. Mr. PAULL appeared for the complainant and was about to call Janet GRINTER, the keeper of Atkins's gate, when the magistrates said they thought the complainant ought to have paid the toll and then summoned the defendant for demanding and taking it, and dismissed the case. Defendant created some amusement by stating that the complainant's witness's grandmother was her husband's aunt, and said that she was only half-witted.

John APSEY alias John WHITE, of Ilminster, was summoned by Sarah WEBBER for assaulting her on the 16th instant, at Ilminster. It appeared from the evidence that defendant went to complainant's house to see his grandmother, who lodged there, taking some beer for the old lady. Complainant, however, refused to let him see her, and took the beer and threw it about the room, ordering him to quit her house. This he refused to do. Complainant then took up a large stick and ordered him to leave. Defendant took the stick away, and, according to complainant's statement, threatened to knock her b-----y brains out. Mrs. W. then popped into her coal hole to prevent defendant from carrying his threat into execution. After which there was a little brick throwing between complainant and defendant, and during the row complainant received a severe blow on one of her thighs from a brick; hence the charge of assault. The magistrates, after hearing the witnesses, told defendant that he must not go to complainant's house; and after cautioning him, as to his future conduct towards her, they dismissed the case.

Robert READ, of Curry Rivel, was summoned by George WILLEY, of Drayton, for the non-payment of wages, amounting to 9s. Case dismissed.

Henry BRAY, of Curry Rivel, was summoned by George WILLEY, of Drayton, for assaulting him, at Curry Rivel, on the 25th of October. Fined 2s 6d and 7s 8d costs; allowed a fortnight to pay it.

William LAWRENCE, of Stocklinch, and Stanford MALE, of Barrington, were summoned by George LAWRENCE for assaulting him, at Stocklinch, on the 4th instant. Fined 2s 6d each with 3s costs.

George LAWRENCE, of Stocklinch, and William BONNING, of Atherstone, were summoned by Stanford MALE, of Barrington, for assaulting him at Barrington, on the 4th inst. Case dismissed.

John GILLETT, labourer, of South Petherton, was summoned by Susan STACEY, single woman, of the same place, for assaulting her, at South Petherton, on the 3rd instant. Case dismissed.

Thomas GRAY, of West Lambrook, was summoned by P.C. SMITH, for letting off fireworks in the street, at Shepton Beauchamp, on the 5th inst. Fined 10s and 5s costs.

William LAWRENCE was summoned by John BARTLETT for stealing apples, at Barrington. Fined 5s and 5s costs.

John BAGWELL, a gunner in the Royal Artillery, was brought up in custody, charged with stealing some groceries, in 1864, the property of a foreman in the employ of the West of England Draining Company. He was apprehended under the following circumstances. On the evening of 15th inst., he called on Mr. Supt. EVERITT with a letter which he had procured from J. Lee LEE, Esq., of Dillington, J.P., who asked Mr. EVERITT to lend the bearer 15s, if he thought his case deserving, to help him back to Portsmouth, promising to repay Mr. EVERITT if the applicant failed to return it. Mr. EVERITT invited the prisoner in, and, after questioning him, recognised him as a man for whom he had held a warrant since 1864, when prisoner was employed as a navvy, on the Chard and Taunton railway. He was at the Poulett's Arms, Chard, in company with a man who was then employed by the West of England Draining Company. Prisoner left the public-house before his companion, but returned and asked for some groceries which he said belonged to him. The groceries were the property of his companion. The police were communicated with, and a warrant was issued. Prisoner then enlisted as a soldier and eluded capture. Mr. EVERITT, recollecting these circumstances, locked him up. Enquiries have been made and it has been found that prisoner has been living at the expense of Mr. WEBB, of the Brewery Inn, to whom he represented that he was on the recruiting service, and that his sergeant would come and pay for what he had. Mr. EVERITT communicated with the military authorities at Portsmouth and found that prisoner was on furlough until the 30th inst., and that he had received his pay up to that time, and that his statement to Mr. WEBB was false. Prisoner was discharged for want of the prosecutor, he having left the neighbourhood.

Back to Miscellaneous Page

Back to Home Page